Rebirth of Poisoned Empress...

By alyun100719445

Shen Liang was beautiful and cold like jade, but he was also extremely cruel to his enemy. Pei Yuanxian who k... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Untitled Part 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128

Chapter 84

1.7K 61 2
By alyun100719445

The weather was not kind and the rain only persisted. The atmosphere in court had only been exceptionally tense. When the civilians were made aware of the Wangyue City's dam threatening to collapse, they too were filled with anxiousness. But this had nothing to do with Shen Liang. Out of worry, he had stayed up until dawn the night before. It wasn't until the sun rose and Lei Zhen hit him against his sleep acupuncture and forced him to sleep that Shen Liang finally closed his eyes. When he awoke, it was already around the time of Wei (1-3pm). 

"Liangliang, the eldest Auntie requests an audience." *Eldest Auntie is how the legitimate children would address their father's concubines, with eldest being the one with the most seniority. If Liu Shuhan didn't have the title of madame, Shen Liang would address her as Eldest Auntie instead but because Liu Shuhan has been formally married to Shen Ruiting, Shen Liang, by protocol, should be addressing her as "mother."*

Shen Liang did not blame Lei Zhen. After he filled his stomach, he listened to Lei Zhen's report on what conspired in the few hours he had been asleep. Whether it was in court or after court, the net they had cast, everything, down to the simplest detail was disclosed to him. When Qi Yue came in, they were discussing their further step in dragging Wen Yuan down to the abyss and leading the emperor to reopen the case on the civil exams fraud case. 

"The eldest Auntie? Why is she here?' gesturing for Lei Zhen to stop first, Shen Liang scowled. Back then, it was her miscarriage after six months of pregnancy that instigated his being sent to the countryside. Strictly speaking, shouldn't she hate him the most?

"I'm not sure. She only said that she requests and audience with you and she has something to say to you in person." Yesterday, they had already passed the order that they will go into closure and isolation. Who would've expected that with the downpour, the eldest Auntie, whom they had never seen thus far actually hurried over and asked to see Shen Liang. If it wasn't because Qi Yue couldn't see through her, he wouldn't have come to ask for Shen Liang's opinion.

"What could she have possible to say? It'd be nothing more than old events that conspired in the past," in regard to the women in the back courtyard of the Marquis Donglin Manor, Shen liang did not have a good impression with any of them. He didn't have many memories concerning this eldest Auntie of his from his previous life. He recalled vaguely that she seemed to have completely given herself to Buddhism and worshiped all day, refusing to see any outsiders. But as what hat conspired afterwards, Shen Liang remained oblivious. 

"Yes."

"Wait."

Just as Qi Yue was about to turn around and chase the other party away, Shen Liang suddenly called him to a stop. Qi Yue looked at Shen Liang with a puzzled expression and was greeted by a strange smile on Shen Liang's lips: "It's rare and difficult for the other party to come all this way while braving the rain. We can't be too ruthless, can we? Invite her in. Let's see what she has to say."

"Yes."

They were all familiar with the expression Shen Liang had. Qi Yue didn't have any objections and once again turned to relay Shen Liang's orders. 

"Xuan Ge, pay a visit to Uncle Fu's room and tell him not to bring You'er out for the time being."

In matters regarding the child, they still had to remain vigilant and cautious.

"En."

"Master, should I retreat as well?"

Just as Qi Xuan bounced away, Lei Zhen's frow furrowed as he inquired. He, as a male, truly had no interest in back courtyard affairs. It truly wasn't appropriate for him to stay here."

"I have no qualms. If it makes you uncomfortable, then you may retreat," just as Shen Liang's words were delivered, Lei Zhen immediately disappeared without a trace. 

Shortly afterwards, Qi Yue returned and along with her, she brough a woman who appeared to be in her thirties and donned in plain attires. Despite her age, she carried a peculiar charm. This was Shen Ruiting's concubine, Sun Jing.

"Fifth young master!" There was a strict division between concubines and madames in the Great Qin Empire. Put euphemistically, she was Shen Ruiting's lover, but put bluntly, she was nothing more than someone to warm Shen Ruiting's bed when he was in the mood for it. Before Shen Liang, it was still necessary for her to pay her respects to him, despite her being his senior. In addition, she was not qualified to dine and seat herself at the same table as someone of Shen Liang's legitimate status either.

"Eldest Auntie has no need to be so courteous. Qi Yue, help eldest Auntie to her seat," Shen Liang placed his teacup down as he said with a faint smile.

"I don't dare. It would suffice for this servant to stand," the eldest Auntie lowered her head slightly, afraid to accept Shen Liang's good graces. 

Shen Liang didn't force her either, "I heard eldest Auntie sought me out for a matter? I'm not sure as to what it may be?"

Thud!

Unexpectedly, Shen Liang and Qi Yue were both stunned when before his words could even be fully asked, the eldest Auntie, who originally appeared a bit reserved suddenly fell to her knees and kowtowed to him. It was only after the resounding sound of her forehead hitting against the concrete floor echoed in the courtyard several times before she raised her head and stated with tears in her eyes: "This servant has received news that the second madame wasn't able to handle courtyard affairs properly. The Marquis has already taken back the authority of back courtyard affairs from her. The madame immediately sent the second young master and fifth young lady over to the marquis to ask him to return the authority to her. This authority, this servant knows that I am not qualified for such a power, but for the sake of my deceased child, I beg the young master to please aid and help this slave!"

After speaking, Sun Jing once again bowed deeply. 

It turned out to be because of the back courtyard authority!

Shen Liang and Qi Yue exchanged understanding glances.

"The eldest Auntie must be joking. Since ancient times, only those who doted their concubines and disregarded their formal wives would do such a deed. Much less, there's no need to state the obvious which is that back courtyard authority has always been something official madames handled and controlled. I am only the heir, not the marquis himself. It is impossible for me to intervene in this matter. Besides, back then, the marquis and others swore that it was my unlucky fate that caused your miscarriage and led to your child's death in the first place. Since you intend to avenge your child, then I undoubtedly have played a part in it. Why should I assist someone who despises and resents me in gaining control over Marquis Donglin Manor?" after a brief moment of silence, Shen Liang finally responded slowly. His tone seemed gentle but lacked the slightest sympathy. Between him and Sun Jing, there was no sympathy worth mentioning.

"No, fifth young master. It's not like this..." Sun Jing hurriedly scrambled forward on her knees with excitement. She seemed to intend to grasp onto Shen Liang's trousers when Qi Yue immediately blocked her way.

"Eldest Auntie, please have some self-respect!"

Sun Jing raised her gaze towards him, but then moved past him to land on Shen Liang once again: "Fifth young master, that's not how it was. For my five month old child who had already formed to suddenly be lost has nothing to do with fifth young master. It was the madame. On the surface, she appeared gratified that the marquis would have another heir, and repeatedly sent gifts over to my manor. I originally thought she too was sincerely looking forward to the child's birth and even once believed that it truly was you who cursed my child to his death, resulting him being stillborn. It wasn't until the second year you were at the countryside that the maid accidentally dropped my favorite hairpin to the ground, breaking it, and exposing the foam that pooled out of it. I took advantage of the time I paid my maiden family a visit to look into the matter and took the drug to a physician. He revealed that the foam was saffron and musk powder. Mixed together, the combination of the two fragrances makes it difficult to distinguish and discover but wearing it long-term would make one prone to infertility and miscarriages. And that hairpin was exactly a gift given to me by the madame under the marquis's name. In that moment, I understood immediately that everything was conspired by the madame. It was her who harmed my child."

In the end, Sun Jing could not help the tears that streamed down her face. That sic-month old fetus had already taken shape. When she saw the bloody body lying in the water basin by the midwife, her heart felt as though it had been carved and dug out. When she knew the truth, she hated that she couldn't kill Liu Shuhan where she stood. But she couldn't. She was someone who still had her parents to consider. Regardless of whether she succeeded, neither Liu Shuhan nor Liu Shuhan's family would let her go. Hence, she could only endure her hatred and resentment as she spent her days praying and in worship, hoping that the gods would make Liu Shuhan pay for her child's life.

In the blink of an eye, five years passed just like that. It looked like Buddha never heard her call. Not only was Liu Shuhan living very well, the mother-children group of three's life grew better and better. Sun Jing felt her heart die as the years passed until Shen Liang's appearance. She had been silently looking into him for a long time now. In just a short month's worth of time, not only did he make Liu Shuhan lose her authority over the back courtyard, but also tarnished the mother-children group of three's reputations. 

Only the Heavens know how happy she was. Even if she couldn't do anything personally, Sun Jing was still able to derive satisfaction and happiness from just viewing Liu Shuhan's misfortune. But she had heard recently that Liu Shuhan was prepared to once again take back the back courtyard authority. She couldn't rest easy and after deliberation, finally paid a visit to the Zhonglin Courtyard. She knew that the only person who could help her was Shen Liang. As long as he was willing, even if she was only a concubine, she could derive the power to avenge her child's death with her own hands!

"Since you already know that the perpetrator was Liu Shuhan and even had the hairpin as evidence, why didn't you go find the marquis directly?" Qi Xuan came in at just the right time to exchange Shen Liang's tea for a warm one. Shen Liang picked up the lid and spread out the tea leaves floating atop the torpid waters with no intention of drinking it.

"Because, the madame borrowed the marquis's name to have the hairpin delivered and gifted to me. When I was aware of my pregnancy, the madame seemed happier than even I was. Before the marquis came to visit me, she had already brought a myriad jewelry and hairpins for me to choose from. When the marquis arrived was present, she had the marquis choose a hairpin for me out of amusement. The marquis was also in a good mood and personally chose the hairpin himself and inserted it in my hair for me. If I were to use the hairpin as evidence, the marquis would not believe me. At that time, he had only chosen a random hairpin out of the myriad of choices before him. How could it have been such a coincidence that he just had to choose the hairpin that had been tampered with?"

Sun Jing was met with Shen Liang's indifferent expression. She appeared flustered and anxious on the surface but held a firm determination in her heart that if Shen Liang truly was helpless, she wouldn't be here being allowed to spiel her story to him.

"Indeed, it wouldn't have been possible for her to tamper with hall of the hairpins. Father truly wouldn't have believed you. Perhaps he would have even suspected you of slandering his beloved instead," hearing Sun Jing's words, Shen Liang showed little more than indifference this time. It appeared to be a mocking and blatant sarcasm.

"Fifth young master, I'm begging you. I'm willing to be your cow or horse and only ask that you give me the opportunity to personally avenge my dead child. Please, fifth young master!"

Thud! Thud!

After, Sun Jing once again leaned over and kowtowed. Shen Liang passed Qi Yue a look. The latter immediately understood and headed forward to stop Sun Jing. He leaned down and helped Sun Jing up, "Eldest Auntie, don't be like this. With all due respect, the authority isn't a casual matter. In the end, the fifth young master is only the heir and not the marquis himself. Please consider his difficulty."

"I...sob... I'm sorry, fifth young master. I had been too anxious..." Perhaps it was because Qi Yue's words that woke him up, but she wiped her tears away as she knelt on the floor. Qi Yue passed Shen Liang a helpless look while the latter threw back an expression that told Qi Yue to see what was suitable and proceed with it. After, he began to deliberate over the matter.

"Eldest Auntie, please don't cry anymore. If you continue, how do you expect the fifth young master to think?" Qi Yue had no choice but to patiently comfort Sun Jing again. After his repeated persuasion, Sun Jing's tears finally subsided.

"Eldest Auntie, I can indeed help you."

"Truly?!" No one knew how much time passed before Shen Liang's voice sounded again. Sun Jing raised her head in excitement and anticipation but was greeted by a cold gaze. The aura surrounding Shen Liang had changed at some point into a fierce and frightening oppressive one. Sun Jing subconsciously shivered as she lowered her eyes and did not dare to meet his gaze again. Her slender but full body trembled uncontrollably.

"But I must remind the eldest Auntie that since you're asking the tiger for his skin, then you must be prepared to be devoured by the skin one day. Today, I will help you rise, but if in the future, you pose a threat to me, then don't blame me for being more ruthless than even Liu Shuhan then. I can let you have a taste of pain a hundred times worse than losing your child," the usual gentle and indifferent voice was now mixed with cold threat and warning. Even Qi Yue felt terrified, much less Sun Jing. Shen Liang, who didn't suppress his aura, was after all, once the Empress of the Empire. Those who could withhold his oppressive aura couldn't just be anyone. 

"Yes, yes..." Sun Jing lowered her head as she trembled with fright. She couldn't help but wonder if perhaps she had made a mistake coming here. The Shen Liang before her now was truly too terrifying. 

"Very well, draw close then," Shen liang then retracted his leaked aura and returned to his former composure. However, the fright never left Sun Jing. It was only after some hesitation before she leaned over and close. Shen Liang murmured some words in her ears before waving her away. He then called out to Lei Zhen: "You will personally see her off."

"Yes," Lei Zhen didn't say much and only silently made a gesture of compliance with cupped fists even though he may have not been clear on Shen Liang's plan. Sun Jing appeared to have suffered from a terrible fright. She seemed lost in thought as she left.

"Another poor person persecuted by the madame," looking at Sun Jing's disappearing back, Qi Yue let out a deep and heavy sigh. 

However, Shen Liang narrowed his eyes as his lips curled into a sneer, "Poor person? Perhaps. But she isn't as simple as she portrays on the surface either."

How could anyone who dared to plot with him be anything but simple? But it mattered not. Shen Liang would also be using her. After all, Shen Liang indeed had no intentions of letting Liu Shuhan regain control over the back courtyard. If Sun Jing could be acquainted and knew her place, what's the harm in letting her take over? It would prevent some certain people from running around before him and bothering him. After all, he still need to keep them alive for now. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

424K 12.8K 37
The Sokolov brothers are everything most girls want. Intimidating, tall, broody, they are everything to lust after. Not that they... particularly car...
188K 14.6K 36
Her marriage was fixed which was an arranged marriage but she moved to London to pursue her career and dreams and after that, she would marry. But in...
2.8M 159K 50
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
3.1M 70.2K 81
Diana is an 18 year old girl about to start her senior year until she bumps into a woman at the bookstore who has quite the personality. The woman ta...