Nobody Knows Your Secret

Od JG9843

It was a heck of a shot. It was the perfect murder. Someone killed Kyle Winthrop as he lay in his bed. His mo... Více

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
71
72

70

23 1 0
Od JG9843

"What you got planned for today," Hadley said.

"I had a few things I needed to pick up at Pixies," Maury said. "But other than that, not much of anything."

"Let's take a road trip," Hadley said. "We haven't done that in ages. I want to see if I can find me some really good wind chimes."

"Oh, Hadley," Maury said, "do you think that's wise. You know the old timers believe those things call up spirits."

"Onus could use a good ghost to keep him company," Hadley said. "And I wouldn't mind it either. As long as he or she is the friendly type."

"You're hopeless," Maury said.

"Ain't that the gospel truth," Hadley said.

"You got any leftovers?" Maury asked.

"Girl, you know I always have leftovers," Hadley said.

"Pack us a picnic lunch," Maury said. "I know how you are. You just take any road that hits your fancy."

"I do that," Hadley said, "don't I?"

"Yes, you do," Maury said. "But as long as we've got food and gas in the car, I don't worry too much."

"Oh, yes you do," Hadley said. "I'll bet you sit over in that passenger's seat and pray we don't have engine trouble or a flat tire."

"It never hurts to pray, dear sister," Maury said.

"I'll see you in about 45 minutes," Hadley said.

***

When she pulled up to Maury's house, her little sister was ready.

"What kind of hat is that?" Hadley asked.

"My new sun hat," Maury said. "Like it?"

Hadley looked at the multicolored mix of gaudy colors on her sister's head. She didn't want to hurt Maury's feelings and tell her it looked like a crayon box had vomited on her head, so she said, "I'll never lose you in a large crowd."

"I like it, too," said Maury. "Got food?"

"Plenty," Hadley said. "And the tank's full."

"Let's go," Maury said. "Got any specific place in mind?"

"Nowhere in particular," Hadley said. "The plan's to have a great time and be back before supper."

They drove through the mountains, ending up near the Kentucky and West Virginia side of the mountains. Hadley just took roads that struck her fancy.

"Where are we?" Maury said, munching on a homemade double-Dutch chocolate chip cookie.

"I have no idea," Hadley said. "But isn't this beautiful country."

"It is," said Maury. "I'm glad you gassed up again a few miles back. You know, I love doing this. You and I have seen so much of this country just by taking off and meandering."

"And I could never find some of those places again if my life depended on it," Hadley said.

They drove on. Hadley twisted and turned down country mountain roads

"This is a pretty rugged place, Hadley," Maury said. "Do you think it's safe for us to be gallivanting around this neck of the woods?"

"We'll try to backtrack and stop at that little town a few miles back. I thought I saw an interesting country store that might have just what I am looking for."

They successfully found their way back to a little town with a small sign that said 'Lelandsville.' When they pulled up to the storefront, two gentlemen walked out.

"Howdy," Hadley said. "I see your sign in the window. Are y'all open for business?"

"Yes, ma'am," Guy number one said.

Maury looked at Hadley. She couldn't be serious about going into that store. The two men looked like genetic mutations of inbreeding.

Their heads were long rectangles. The ears were set low and set out at 90-degree angles from their scalp. Atop the tall forehead were patches of hand-sheared, thick, black hair. It stuck up all over like their fingers had been playing in the electrical sockets.

Their brows were heavy, eyes dark like four obsidian pools. Their noses were thick and straight, and their lips were full.

Their mouths were pasted to the bottom of their weak chins like an afterthought. Their necks were thickly corded with muscles, but their shoulders were small and sloping.

They both stood a little over five feet. Their torsos were normal sizes, but their legs were short and stumpy. Stale works shirts, dirty jeans, and brogans completed their business attire.

They stood on the porch, arms crossed. Their skin was dark and swarthy. The one next to Maury stood a few inches taller than his brother but only because his forehead stretched a couple of inches higher.

They were frowning. Or maybe not. Perhaps, Maury thought, that is just the expressions they wear to face the world – a bit of confusion mixed with a disgruntled, not angry, but more suspicious attitude.

Like looking into the mirror of The Twilight Zone. And there was Hadley Jane barging right into that shop without a moment's hesitation.

I wonder about that girl sometimes, Maury thought.

"Mary Maureen!" Hadley yelled from deep inside the dark recesses of oblivion.

No, thought Maury.

"What," Maury said, still standing on the front porch of the little shop staring the one zombie who remained on the porch.

This one had yet to say one word. Maury wondered if he ever spoke.

"You've got to see this!" Hadley said, excitedly. "Their stuff is incredible!"

Against her better judgment, Maury entered the dark shop. There was no electricity. The only light in the store was filtered through the dingy windows of the storefront.

The place was packed with wonderful hats. Bird feeders made from large cans wrapped in heavy twine hung from the rafters. Old hubcaps had been painted in bright reds, oranges, and pinks.

Rods had been attached and beaten metal leaves painted green made unique garden ornaments. And chimes.

There were chimes made from old bottle caps. Chimes of cut bottles with cut-glass clappers with a coiled metal insert that ingeniously held it all together. A stringed-spiral chandelier chime constructed of hundreds of skeleton, modern, and handmade keys. And some very suspiciously wicked ones made of spent bullet casings.

The wooden sign holding the bullets read "Trespasser's Reward." Canning lids and silverware hung from spectacularly intricate designs. There were carvings and other metal work displayed throughout the store.

"Look," Hadley said, "here's a wonderful silver bracelet curled and spiraled from a fork. It's amazing!"

Hadley couldn't help but try it on.

"Name's Ronnie," said the shorter man. "Runie's my brother. We like to while away the time. Keep busy, you know. Don't get much business out this far. But mebbe one day."

"I know a lady who runs a store where I live," said Hadley. "She is always looking for talented craftsmen, and I think that you two certainly fit the bill. For a small percentage of your sales, she will display your products in her store. Her cut goes toward a refuge for injured wildlife that she operates. Would you fellows be interested in talking to her?"

"I dunno," Runie said. "Granny don't like us to part with nuthin' much."

"I see," said Hadley. "Could you part with one of your chimes? I'd really love to own one. They are so unique. You men are truly artists."

"We won't sell you nuthin' but we can give you somethin'. Take yer pick," Runie said.

Taking her time, Hadley decided upon a beautiful chime with leaves and birds and tiny bells.

"Here," said Ronnie, handing Hadley a stone, "take this, too."

"What it is?" asked Maury.

"A mad stone," said Runie.

Hadley thanked the men. She made sure she slipped some money in a tin can nailed to a porch rail on her way out.

Once in the car, Maury asked, "How much did you put in that tin can, Sis?"

"I was afraid to put anything less than three twenties," Hadley said.

Sixty bucks for a wind chime!" Maury said. "Ain't that a bit steep?"

"Not if I want their granny witch's blessing on me," said Hadley. "Besides, they threw in the mad stone."

Maury laughed.

"I don't think we're likely to be bitten by a rabid animal, Hadley," Maury said.

"You never know," said Hadley. "If I do, just moisten this baby in some warm milk and put it on my wound. This sucker will stick to the place and pull the 'pizen' right out."

"Really, you believe that," Maury said.

"No," said Hadley, "but I gave them a donation in their tin cup, so they felt beholding to give me something in return. This mad stone's gonna look nice on the sill of the window over my kitchen sink."

"Got any ideas where you gonna hang your chimes?" Maury asked.

"Not a clue," said Hadley. "I think I'll call Skippy over and see if he can help me find just the right place."

"Why d'you pick those?" Maury asked.

"Runie pointed them out," Hadley said. "He whispered that he knew for a fact that their Granny had blessed these. She's a granny witch, Maury. No spirits would dare come around when these make their music."

"Nice to know," said Maury. "Kinda comforting."

"What would be even more comforting would be to find our way home without having to spend the night out in the boonies."

Hadley and Maury couldn't explain it. Maybe the chimes were charmed. Anyway, they found their way home without too much delay. It was early afternoon when Hadley dropped Maury off and arrived home.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

572 59 59
A reluctant mountain housewife joins ghost hunters. Hadley Pell lives in a small town in the Southern Appalachians with her feline friend, Onus. She...
16 0 14
My name is Meredith Gray, but I go by "Merry", and usually I love the holidays...but not this year. With divorce papers to sign and bills to pay, I'l...
55.2K 6.3K 41
After solving a double murder and saving her home town from a financial catastrophe, Imogen Fox, the personal assistant of John Oakby, the Mayor of a...
1.3K 117 54
Fly fishing was something that her late husband, Harry Pell, loved to do. When Hadley's friend, Hobie Stricker, invites her to try for the Big One, s...