Left Behind -Gally-

De xoscreamxo

The Glade had been the same for over two years. No changes had ever occurred. The box came once a month. Ther... Mais

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Epilogue
The End

Chapter 44

1.2K 65 18
De xoscreamxo

It was complete chaos.

Emma ran beside Frypan through the smoke, unsure how everything had fallen apart so suddenly. For a moment, she thought they had done it. That they had finally found freedom.

She should have known better.

Explosions occurred all around them. WICKED soldiers repelled from the helicopters, shooting electric prongs at anyone who ran past. WICKED needed as many immunes as possible. Killing people wasn't an option. That scared Emma more, being used as a blood bag for a foundation that saw her as property rather than human. Dying was better than that. At least, to her, it was.

"Where's Thomas?" It was Frypan who had asked the question. Minho dragged Emma onto the ground behind barrels to take cover. Thomas had gone to find Teresa, who was on another mountain ridge. She looked at the mountain, but it was too dark to see. She hoped they were there when the bombs were dropped. That area was entirely untouched. They would have been safe.

"Harriet!" It was Vince. He was screaming, but she couldn't see him. "Ammo!" Gunshots surrounded them.

"Vince! Harriet!" Minho spotted them. Still holding onto Emma, he dragged her with him. The girl stumbled over her feet but managed to regain her balance. She trailed behind him, as did the others.

"Come on!"

"Over here." Vince was standing in the back of a truck, which held a large gun. However, he was using a shotgun. 

"How can we help?"

"Cover us."

"Ammo," Vince hollered. He bent down, holding out the gun. "Do you know how to use this?" Minho took the gun from him. Without saying anything, he cocked the gun and began firing. The answer was no. Minho had never used a gun. However, he was a fast learner. "This fifty's our only chance."

Harriet handed a gun to Newt and then to Emma. She took it, not really thinking about what it meant. The girl followed Newt to the other side of the car. WICKED soldiers were all around them. Explosions were still occurring. People were screaming.

Raising the gun, she pulled the trigger.

Once.

Twice.

Three times before a man hit the ground. Emma paused, gun lowering as she stared ahead. The man was on the ground, no longer moving. He was dead. Probably before he even hit the ground.

Her mind flashed to Gally. To the gun he had. He pulled the trigger and shot Chuck. Emma pulled the trigger and got the same result. Someone was dead.

They were the same now.

"Keep firing!" Vince was trying to load the large gun. Emma blinked, coming back to reality. She raised the pistol once more and started shooting at anyone wearing a mask.

"Hurry, Vince!" Newt reloaded his gun. "There's too many." They were outnumbered. Emma pulled the trigger. Another man hit the ground.

"I'm out!"

A soldier threw something at them. It beeped loudly. "Look out!"

"Shit," Vince screamed—an explosion of sparks occurred. Electricity coursed through her body. Emma dropped the gun, falling to her knees. Her body shook as she fell onto the ground. The screaming faded from her ears. The world followed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The helicopters landed. Everyone from the Right Arm had been captured by WICKED and forced into a clearing. Emma was forced onto her knees beside Newt. There's an evident tremble in her hands. Hiding it would be pointless. Plus, she didn't care enough.

WICKED had found them. They tried to fight but lost. They had lost. Everything was over now.

Everything had fallen apart so quickly. For a brief moment, they were free. That was gone now. They had lost. "Line them up on their knees." There were rows of people. "Put eyes on that ridge."

One of the men scanned Sonya's neck. "B4." Jorge once mentioned they were tagged.

Emma watched as they scanned Aris. "B2." She felt her breath catch in her throat.

They scanned Newt. "A5."

"A6." That was hers.

Right after, her eyes find Janson. His eyes scanned their faces, and a scowl appeared on his. "Where's Thomas?" He was missing. Along with Teresa, Brenda, and Jorge. The tent Brenda had been in was burned. Now aches. Emma couldn't get herself to finish the thought. The thought that Brenda had never escaped.

"Right here." The voice came from somewhere behind her. Emma's spine straightened at the sound of his voice. She hoped Thomas and Teresa had escaped.

A WICKED soldier shoved him forward. Thomas stumbled but managed to catch himself. Janson smirked, not looking anywhere else as Thomas approached him. "Thomas," Janson greeted him. 

Suddenly, he punched him in the stomach. Thomas doubled over, a groan escaping him from the surprise impact to his gut. Vince tried to stand up but was quickly forced back down. "Get him in line with the others." A WICKED soldier shoved Thomas in line beside Minho. "Good." Janson spun around, content with the situation. "Bring her in."

Fires still spread around them. Everything was burning to the ground. WICKED had destroyed everything.

A strange noise sounded from above. There were flashing lights as a large hovercraft began to descend. Emma ducked her head as sand flew in her face.

It only lasted a minute. Once the hovercraft landed, the turbines shut off. The back doors opened slowly. Four WICKED soldiers marched down the ramp with someone in the middle. Ava Paige. She's wearing an all-white outfit with red lipstick. Just like the last time Emma had seen her, in the video that played back in the Maze—the place where Gally died.

She approached Janson. The two speak in whispers, making it impossible to hear.

Their conversation was short. Ava's eyes remained on Thomas. "Okay," Janson declared. "Let's go." It was over. The soldiers started rounding up kids, pushing them toward the hovercraft. Where they would be taken to WICKED and drained.

They push Thomas forward. "Hello, Thomas," Ava said. Thomas didn't bother with a response. Emma stood up from her spot on the ground. From the side, Teresa approached Ava. It caused Emma to stop moving. "I'm glad you're safe." The words catch Emma by surprise. Ava spoke as if she knew Teresa. As if she cared for her personally.

"What the hell," Frypan whispered. "Teresa?"

"Wait," Newt said slowly. "What's going on?"

"She's with them."

"Since when?" Minho wasn't sure he believed it.

"No," Emma said, almost defensive of her friend. "No, no, she isn't. Teresa, tell them." Teresa looked at her, an almost pained expression on her face.

Betrayal.

It was all Emma felt. It was true. Teresa was with them.

"Oh," Janson smirked. "Teresa's always had an appreciation for the greater good once we restored her memories. It was only a matter of time."

Betrayal.

"You can't trust her," Gally's words ring in her ears. "You can't trust her."

"I'm sorry," Teresa said, and she almost sounded genuine. It pained Emma, and she looked away. Tears burned her eyes. Teresa had betrayed them. Her friend. "This is the only way. We have to find a cure."

"She's right," Ava said. "This is all just a means to an end." Emma wanted to laugh. It was all too much. "You used to understand that, Thomas. No matter what you think of me, I am a doctor. I swore an oath to find a cure. No matter the cost." The cost were lives. Human lives. It didn't matter to her because it wasn't her life on the line. "I just need more time."

"You mean more blood," Mary responded. She yanked her arm out of a man's grip.

"Hello, Mary," Ava greeted her. "I hoped we'd see each other again. I'm sorry it had to be under these circumstances."

"I'm sorry about many things, but not this." Mary took a step forward. "At least my conscience is clear."

"So is mine." A gunshot.

Emma flinched, not having expected it. Mary glanced down at her stomach, blood seeping through her shirt. "Mary?" She had been shot. "Mary!" Vince cried out in agony. As her body fell, he caught her. "Mary! Mary!" Emma glanced at the person holding the gun. It was Janson. He killed Mary. "No! Mary? Mary." She was dead. "No! Mary."

"Load them all up!" Janson demanded, waving his hand in the air. "I want all of them. Get rid of the others." He was talking about the people who weren't immune. He wanted them dead.

Two guards began dragging Aris and Sonya away. "Aris," Harriet yelled. "Sonya."

Suddenly, Thomas elbowed a man in the face. Successfully getting away from him. "Get back!" He raised his hand, holding something. Emma knew immediately what it was. It was an explosive device. "Everyone, stand back!"

Janson rushed forward, throwing his arms out to keep Ava protected. "Stand back," he hollered. "Hold your fire!"

"Stand back," Thomas pointed at him. "Let them all go."

"Thomas put it down-"

"Let them all go!"

Ava stepped forward. "You know I can't do that."

"Thomas," Teresa begged him. The sound of her voice pained Emma. "Please, stop." Emma stared at her friend, because she still was that. Teresa was her friend. Her friend that betrayed her. Betrayed all of them. "I made a deal with them. They promised not to hurt you. All of you."

"And I'm supposed to believe you?"

"It's true," Ava declared. "It was her only condition." But Mary had been shot. What kind of promise was that? Others were dead as well. Killed in the explosions.

"Shut up!" Thomas wasn't sure what to think anymore. Teresa betrayed them. Nothing made sense.

"Everything can go back to the way it was." Emma knew that meant they would be used for their intended purpose. "Thomas, do you really want all of them to die?"

"Listen to her, Thomas," Janson said. "Just think about what you're doing."

Emma knew what he was doing. He was freeing them. She would rather die than be used as WICKED's blood bag. The others seemed to agree.

Minho moved first. His movements were slow, but he went to Thomas's side. Newt and Frypan joined them next, and then Emma. "We're with you, Thomas." They were all with him.

"No," Teresa cried.

Emma took a deep breath. They were going to die today, but that was okay with her.

"Don't," Ava begged.

"Do it," Minho whispered. "We're ready."

"We're not going back there." Thomas raised the explosive.

"Thomas-"

"This is the only way."

They were going to die, and that was okay.

They found freedom. It was real. The Right Arm was real, and they found it. Even if they didn't get to enjoy it for long, they had a moment. A real, brief, beautiful moment where they were actually free. They had found what was beyond the walls of the Maze, and it was good.

She had hoped it was something better, and it could have been if there had been more time. Emma wished there was.

But there wasn't. They were going to die, and that was okay.

However, as Thomas prepared to press the button, there was the horn of a truck behind them. It blared, echoing off the surrounding mountains. Emma turned in time to see the truck slam into a helicopter. The force knocked the aircraft over, the blades shattering against the ground. They fly in every direction. Emma ducked. It was instinct.

The shouting started right after. The shrapnel took down several WICKED soldiers. Gunfire erupted all around them. People were fighting once more. Janson grabbed Ava, guiding her toward the largest hovercraft. He wanted her safe.

Emma found herself being yanked to her feet by Minho. "Freeze," a man pointed a gun at Thomas. "Kid, drop it!" Thomas was still holding the explosive.

At the mention of the device, he threw it at him. "Get down!" The group ducked behind a stack of boxes. An explosion occurred, but there wasn't time to sit and process it. They had another chance, and Emma knew they had to take it.

Harriet found a gun and started shooting. Vince ran toward the truck that held the large gun. It was complete chaos. Emma and Minho met the others. Newt, Frypan, and Thomas were all looking around, unsure of what to do. 

Vince managed to load the gun. He started shooting at the soldiers. "Come on!" They had to get to safety. "Let's go!"

As they ran up the hill, Minho stopped, grabbing a shotgun leaning against a barrel. "Go, get out of here!"

Minho raised the gun, firing it. "Careful, Minho," Newt yelled as he passed, finding a place to take cover. Emma slowed her run, standing in front of the boxes that Newt and Frypan were hiding behind.

"Thomas, get out of here." Minho shot one of the WICKED soldiers in the chest.

Thomas rushed past him but paused next to Emma. He turned back to look at his friend. "Come on," Thomas yelled, but Minho stayed where he was. He kept shooting.

Emma's eyes flickered to Janson, who was standing off to the side. He held a gun and wasn't hesitating to use it. As he turned toward them, Emma realized his eyes were on Thomas. "Thomas, get down!" Without thinking, she pushed him out of the way, wanting him to take cover. More gunshots rang out.

Thomas ducked down first and then Emma. She pressed her back against the boxes, taking a deep breath. The adrenaline in her body was overwhelming, but Emma felt off. She wasn't sure how to explain it.

Something was wrong.

The gun Minho was using jammed. He barely had time to register that because a WICKED soldier shot him with electric prongs. "Minho!" Thomas reacted first. He was up, running to help their friend as he convulsed.

Emma peered over the top of the boxes, eyes wide as she watched as they dragged Minho away. The others rushed to stop Thomas as he ran toward Minho. There was nothing he could do. Emma stood up but wobbled on her feet. Suddenly, everything felt colder than before.

As the others screamed for Minho, Emma found herself unable to catch her breath. She tried to rest her hands on the boxes but struggled. There was an unexplainable heat in her abdomen, causing her to sway. Touching her stomach, she looked at her hand to see blood.

Her hand was covered in blood.

Emma felt the world around her darkened. All she felt was fear. She was paralyzed by it. The pain hit her all at once. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't think.

"Minho!"

At the same time, Newt happened to glance over. His eyes found her hunched over, body swaying. For a moment, he thought the fear of the situation had taken over her mind, but something in his gut said otherwise. "Emma?" He moved away from the others, almost hesitantly. "Emma?"

Hearing her name, she looked up, almost dazed. That was when Newt noticed the blood on her shirt. "Newt?" Her legs gave out, and she crumbled onto the boxes.

He rushed to her side, wrapping his arms around her. "Hey, hey, what's wrong? What's going on?" He slowly helped lay her down on the ground, mostly in his lap.

"I don't know," her words were failing her. She was spread over one of his legs, breathing rapidly. "I don't know." It hurt. Everything hurt. "I-I can't breathe."

Newt grabbed the bottom of her shirt, lifting it just high enough to see the bullet wound to her stomach. Instantly, he let go. His hands began to shake, and his eyes filled with tears. He could hear the distant shouts from Thomas as he screamed and the harsh wind caused by the Berg flying away with Minho inside.

But he couldn't think about that. Emma was shot. Someone had shot her. "Okay, okay." He had no idea what to do. "You're okay." Everything was fine.

Emma blinked several times, unsure what was happening, but Newt said she was okay. That was good. Newt wouldn't lie to her. "I'm okay?"

"Yeah, you're fine, darling. Just fine." His hands were stained with blood. Her blood. Newt glanced over his shoulder, feeling the panic set in. "Tommy!" He didn't know who else to call for. "Tommy! Someone! Over here!"

Thomas was frozen in his spot, unable to move. The Berg was gone, as were Minho and Teresa, but still, he remained. "Newt!" Frypan rushed toward them, dropping to his knees. "Emma. What's-" he stopped talking at the sight in front of him.

"We need," Newt could barely speak. "We need help."

"Vince!" Frypan shouted, voice cracking. "Help, someone help!" Vince, Jorge, and Brenda ran toward them. It was instant hysteria. None of them were sure what to do. Vince began shouting at Newt, telling him to put pressure on the wound. Mary was the doctor, but she was gone.

Newt did as told. Emma didn't move. She was staring at the sky numbly. When she thought that dying instead of being used by WICKED was the better option, she meant it. She just didn't expect to actually face her thoughts, not like this.

Finally, Thomas snapped out of his trance and shuffled toward the communion. There he found Emma on the ground bleeding from a gunshot wound that he knew came from Janson. He was the only person holding a lethal weapon.

Then, he remembered Emma shouting his name. Pushing him out of the way. She protected him. Thomas had been distracted, and she forced him to take cover.

She took a bullet meant for him. Just like Chuck had.

And, like him, she was bleeding out on the floor.

"Stay with us, Em," Newt begged. One hand on her stomach while the other held her face. "Come on. Stay with us." He couldn't lose her too. "You have to stay with us."

"Emma," Frypan shouted. "We need-"

Emma stared at the sky, tears streaming down her cheeks. She could no longer feel the pain in her stomach or hear the shouts from her friends, who were begging her to stay awake.

All she could think about was Gally. She wondered if this was how he felt when Minho impaled him with a spear. If he was in this much pain. If he faded slowly before vanishing entirely.

Maybe, she thought, she would see him again.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

14.6K 260 40
(Y/n), the first girl in group A. She was also the first one in the Glade. Everything was normal and the same for 3 years till a boy named Thomas, a...
179K 2.7K 47
With her memory erased and identity forgotten, Elle awakens in the Glade surrounded by an ever-changing maze. She immediately realises she is differe...
403K 15.2K 66
Life in the Glade hasn't changed for the Gladers. Every month like clockwork, a new Greenie appeared. But what happens when one month the new Greenie...
44.1K 631 8
One year after the first arrival of Gladers, the box comes up with a pretty surprise. Indeed, the new Greenie was pretty. They might get a Newbie eve...