𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐘 - DIN DJARIN

By dindjarindiaries

❝𝐈 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐚 𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲.❞ An ex-princess forced to hide and fight for her l... More

SEASON ONE
Chapter 1: The Mandalorian
Chapter 2: The Princess
Chapter 3: The Hunter
Chapter 4: The Soldier
Chapter 5: The Village
Chapter 6: Confliction
Chapter 7: The Attack
Chapter 8: The Ruin
Chapter 9: The Recovery
Chapter 10: The Hunt
Chapter 11: The Rookie
Chapter 12: The Job
Chapter 13: The Gang
Chapter 14: Domination
Chapter 15: The Scar
Chapter 16: The Magistrate
Chapter 17: The Confrontation
Chapter 18: The Plan
Chapter 19: The Culmination
Chapter 20: Salvation
Chapter 21: The Riduurok*
Ethereal (Interlude)
Nova (Interlude)
SEASON TWO
Chapter 22: The Return
Chapter 23: The Settlement
Chapter 24: The Ally
Chapter 25: The Dragon
Chapter 26: Desperation*
Chapter 27: The Crash
Chapter 28: The Cave
Chapter 29: The Boat
Chapter 30: Devastation
Chapter 31: The Mission
Chapter 32: The Layover
Chapter 33: The Revelation
Chapter 34: The Father
Chapter 35: The Son
Chapter 36: The Promise
Chapter 37: The Loss
Chapter 38: Coercion
Chapter 39: The Sacrifice
Chapter 40: The Threat
Chapter 41: The Duel
Chapter 42: The Goodbye
Aftermath (Interlude)
Desolation (Interlude)
Miracle (Interlude)
SEASON 2.5 (TBOBF)
Chapter 43: The Wanderers
Chapter 44: The Way
Chapter 45: The Voyage
Chapter 46: The Starfighter
Chapter 47: The Disillusioned
Chapter 48: The Storm
Chapter 49: The Battle
Chapter 50: Reunion*
Bliss (Interlude)
Honor (Interlude)
SEASON THREE
Chapter 51: The Quest
Chapter 52: Restoration
Chapter 54: The Homeworld
Chapter 55: The Torment
Chapter 56: The Waters
Chapter 57: Redemption*
Chapter 58: The Armor
Chapter 59: The Lesson
Chapter 60: The Briefing
Chapter 61: The Siege
Chapter 62: The Droid Problem
Chapter 63: The Investigation
Chapter 64: The Darksaber
Chapter 65: The Unification
Chapter 66: The Surface
Chapter 67: The Capture
Chapter 68: The Pursuit
Chapter 69: Liberation
Chapter 70: The Apprentice
Chapter 71: Home*

Chapter 53: The Burden

2.8K 95 65
By dindjarindiaries

chapter 53: the burden •••

Waking up the next morning is almost cruel for Astra. It's the first time she's gotten to peacefully awaken in her husband's arms for much too long, thanks to the miraculous lengthy slumber of their two children. Din rouses at the same time she does and kisses her enough to make up for whatever time they'll lose on the journey ahead. They manage to drag themselves out of bed and prepare themselves as well as their children for the day's adventures.

Greef is already in his office with IG-11's parts when the Djarin family stops by. Din pushes the hovercart while Grogu sits atop it and lets the empty pram float by his side. Astra and Zora trail behind the magistrate and his old friend, the youngest Djarin babbling as she plays with Astra's tunic.

"Say 'Papa,'" Astra encourages her in a soft voice. Zora coos and smiles just at the sound of her father's title. Astra takes one of her tiny hands and waves it at Din's back. "'Hi, Papa!'"

Zora giggles and waves on her own. "Baba!"

Din turns his helmet over his shoulder for a moment to face her. "Hi, Zozo," he responds with warmth and a smile Astra can hear. He lifts a gloved hand to pat her head before he faces the way ahead again.

"Now, say 'Mama,'" Astra continues. She points to herself. "'Hi, Mama!'"

Zora makes a long mmm sound with a focused knit in her brow. Astra laughs and kisses her forehead.

"So close, Zo." Astra points at Grogu. "Say hi to your brother. 'Hi, Grogu!'"

Zora exhales a few sharp excited breaths and claps her hands together. "Go!"

Astra grins at her daughter. "That's it, Zo! 'Grogu!'"

"Go!" Zora cheers. Din steals another look at them, his helmet tilting in admiration of the adorable sound. "Go!"

Grogu's ears lift on his head as he lets out a long coo of understanding. Din pats his head while Astra's smile only grows wider. There's not a single thing she wouldn't do for this precious family of hers.

"You've got quite the family here, Mando," Greef says with hardly disguised warmth. "That's why this is too big a job for you to do by yourself." He gestures to the parts of IG-11. "Fortunately, Nevarro has attracted the best droidsmiths of the Outer Rim." Greef stops and nods at the wall to their left. "They'll have IG back to his old self in no time."

Din shifts his weight. "Are you sure they're up for it?" He lifts a hand towards IG's parts. "I don't think I can handle him with all his limbs if things go scud."

Astra smiles; His censorship. It's something he's been working on around the kids, one of the smaller yet noticeable things Astra can observe about his sweet parenting. Meanwhile, Greef points at the wall again. "Why don't you ask 'em for yourself?"

Din's visor faces Greef. "Who?"

Greef extends a hand towards the ground. "The Anzellans."

Din and Astra both look down to see a nine-inch Anzellan waiting outside a small doorway. He looks up at Din and tilts his head. "What do ya' want?" the Anzellan asks in his high-pitched voice.

Grogu widens his eyes and coos in curiosity with a hand extended. Zora's still too caught up in Astra's tunic and her babbling of Baba, Mmm, Go! to properly observe the Anzellan. Din takes a step back and Astra has to hold back a laugh at his utter shock. "I, um... my droid." Din gestures to IG-11's parts. "I need help rewiring him."

The Anzellan glances back and speaks a few words in his own language. He faces Din again and nods. "Can fix." He points inside the small workspace. "Come. Come."

Din looks between the Anzellan and Greef a few times before he points to himself. "Me?"

Greef laughs. "Yes! Their work will be quick."

Din tilts his helmet and glances at the small doorway again. "I can't fit in there."

"You can." Greef turns his head to look at Astra. "But I don't think your whole family will."

Din's visor meets Astra's gaze and she speaks before he can. "It's okay," she assures him. "You and Grogu head inside. Zora and I will explore the bazaar." Astra gestures with her head to the marketplace that's further down the street.

Din tenses, though his gloved fingers flutter at his sides. He takes a step closer to her. "Are you sure?" When Astra nods, Din releases a gentle sigh and rests his helmet against her forehead. "I won't be long."

"And we won't be far." Astra offers him a reassuring smile. "Good luck with IG."

Din lowers his voice for privacy and gives one of her hands a squeeze. "I love you."

Astra's grin widens. "I love you, too."

Din takes one of Zora's tiny hands next and gives it a squeeze. "And you too, Zozo."

Zora smiles and claps her hands together. "Baba!"

Din swings his helmet away from her in pure and utter adoration. He gives her tiny hand one more squeeze before he and Grogu make their way closer to the Anzellans' workshop. Astra chuckles to herself at the way Din and Grogu have to crawl inside, the former barely fitting given all his layers of armor. It's only once they've disappeared inside that Astra and Zora make their way towards the bazaar.

"All right, angel," Astra says to her daughter, smiling at the curious coo she earns in response. "Let's find a gift for Papa and Grogu."

Zora squeals with delight and claps her hands together once again. Astra smiles and gives her cheek a kiss.

"I'm excited, too!" Astra glances around once they reach the heart of the bazaar. Stalls with all kinds of products line the street, from exotic fruits to handmade jewelry. The way this marketplace flourishes reminds Astra of her home planet long ago, during its own golden age. She holds Zora closer. "Where do you think we should start, Zo?"

Zora furrows her brow, her brown eyes observing their surroundings just as her father's would. Astra's patient as she waits for the telltale point of her daughter's small finger towards one of the booths. Astra turns and sees that she's chosen one of the exotic fruit stands, which comes as no surprise given her son's love for food.

"Good choice." Astra approaches the booth and greets the Rodian merchant. "We'd like to try one of your fruits, please."

The Rodian spreads his hands. "Of course! I've got quite a few here."

Astra and Zora share a look. "What do you recommend?"

"Well," the Rodian begins, reaching somewhere inside his stand, "this dessert made from the jogan fruit always comes highly praised." He reveals a dessert that's encased in a cold container. The Rodian opens it and shows off the delicate dollop of purple creamy fruit. Zora releases a loud coo of delight.

"Can we try it?" Astra reaches for the credits tucked in a pouch on her belt.

The Rodian pushes the dessert and a utensil forward. "Be my guest!"

Astra sets her necessary pile of credits down and picks up the utensil. She offers a small scoop to Zora, who samples the dessert with a gleeful coo of approval. Astra tries some for herself and shares her daughter's enthusiastic reaction. The taste is sweet yet tangy, offering a perfect punch of what anyone could want from a fruit-flavored treat. "I see why it's so highly praised," Astra tells the Rodian. She lets Zora finish the dessert. "Can we take two to go?"

The Rodian agrees and begins packing their order. Astra turns to Zora and laughs as she wipes some of the purple-colored fruit remnants away from around her mouth.

"What do you think, Zo? Will Papa and Grogu approve?"

Zora taps the corners of Astra's mouth as they remain curled up in a smile. "Baba!"

"Yeah," Astra agrees as she sets down more credits, "I think it'll make him smile, too."

The two Djarins finish with their order and move on, the small pouch now hanging from Astra's belt. They explore more of the bazaar despite their small mission already being complete. Astra even manages to find some fish cracker snacks for Zora and Grogu, building up the future supply that she'll no doubt need for their hungry children. The last thing Astra grabs are some medical supplies she can fit in the extra spaces on her belt, an emergency kit she's been meaning to create as they begin their journey.

Astra and Zora return to the Anzellan workshop and find just what Astra should've expected: chaos. Greef's kneeling down on the ground and speaking through the tiny Anzellan door and she can already hear the familiar tone of Din's voice as he responds to him. The closer they get, the more Astra can hear them.

"... You should get a new one," Greef's in the middle of saying.

Astra lifts her brow as she and Zora approach. "What's going on?"

Greef looks up at her and stands to his feet with a huff of effort. "The Anzellans are saying IG's not fixable," he explains.

Astra twists her lips. She looks at the Anzellans' door. "He must not be happy about that."

Greef shrugs. "It seems like he's working it out with them right now." He lifts a finger at Astra. "If you'll give me a moment." Astra nods and watches as he kneels down again. Greef listens for a moment before he speaks to Din again. "If you can get a new part, he says he can fix it."

Astra waits for Din's response, but all she hears is the sound of an Anzellan screeching. "No, Grogu," comes Din's scolding voice. Astra and Zora share a look before she kneels down at Greef's side. Inside the workshop, Din looks like a giant reaching towards their son, who grips onto an Anzellan for dear life. "He's not a pet."

"No squeezie!" the Anzellan protests. "No squeeze! No squeeze." Din separates the Anzellan from Grogu and the tiny mechanic fixes his goggles. "Bad baby! Oh, he's a bad baby."

Astra suppresses a laugh with one hand at the scene. "Sorry about that," Din apologizes. "He's young."

"Yeah, bad baby," the Anzellan continues to rant. Grogu looks at the Anzellan and Astra already knows what he's going to do before he lunges for the mechanic once again. "Oh!"

Din sighs and reaches forward. "No, Grogu."

"Come here, Grogu!" Astra tries to draw their son to her. "Your sister and I got you something!"

Grogu's attention is successfully stolen from the Anzellan at the sound of Astra's voice. He waddles to the doorway and greets Astra and Zora with a gleeful coo. Zora offers the same as she extends her tiny arms towards him. "Go!" she cheers.

Grogu's ears rise as high as they can on his head as he hugs her just like he'd hugged the Anzellan. Astra grins and supports Zora with one hand as she runs along Grogu's ear with the other. "You and your father have special treats awaiting you," Astra tells him. "But you've got to be on your best behavior. Okay?"

Grogu pulls away from the embrace with his sister and coos in understanding. His ears fall a bit and Astra pats his head.

"It's okay. Just make sure you're listening to your father and I."

Grogu nods and lets his ears rise higher again. Astra looks beyond Grogu to see Din crawling his way out of the small workspace. He grunts as he heaves himself back to his feet and Astra does the same, earning a protest from Zora as she's separated from her brother. She sets her back in the pram and does the same with Grogu, keeping them occupied while she approaches Din.

"So," Astra begins, relieved by the presence of her husband even after such a brief separation, "what did I miss?"

"They'll fix IG," Din answers. "We just need to get them a new memory circuit." Before Astra can question him, Din goes on. "I'm sure Peli's Jawa friends can help us with that."

Astra nods. "That's true, and I'm sure the ship could use some touch-ups before we set out to Mandalore."

Din sets a hand on her back. "That's exactly what I was thinking." His visor falls to the pouch on Astra's belt. "Now, what's this about 'special treats?'"

Astra grins at him. "You'll see." She points at the Anzellans' workshop. "I think we have some business to attend to first."

Din circles his hand on her back and nods. "Way to keep us on track, rid'ika." He looks over at Greef. "We'd best be heading out, now."

Greef gestures to the way ahead. "Please, let me escort you."

The magistrate leads the way for the Djarin family through the busy streets of Nevarro. A bittersweet feeling rushes over Astra as she looks around and prepares to leave it all behind. It's not much different than the feeling Sorgan gave her so long ago when she and Din first had to leave. The promise of a home is left here, and as hard as it is for her to move on from it, supporting Din and his redemption is her priority. Nothing is more important to Astra than the happiness and health of her family, the home she gets to take with her all over the galaxy.

Din invites Astra even closer to her side, as if he's read her thoughts. His gloved hand laces through hers as he looks over at her. "I'm sorry we have to leave," he utters his genuine apology.

"No more apologies," Astra remarks, giving his hand a squeeze. "I'm the one who insisted upon going on this journey with you. No place is a home for me without you." She lifts their entwined hands to her lips and kisses his leather knuckles. "Your redemption is our priority. Our home will come in time."

Din tilts his helmet, his armored chest rising and falling in a deep breath as he swings his helmet away from her. "If it was the Crest we were headed back to... I'd properly thank you for that."

Astra laughs and rests her head against his arm. "I understand." She lowers her voice to keep their conversation even more private. "But last night was enough for me to know."

Din's visor snaps her way again. "It wasn't nearly enough, cyar'ika." He lifts his free hand to hold her chin. "Until I get the opportunity to love you the way you deserve each and every day, it'll never be enough."

Astra beams and turns her face away from him in shyness. "You love me in many different ways, riduur."

"I do whatever I can." Din swings their arms back-and-forth in a subtle motion. "But you deserve the best."

Astra's not given the opportunity to respond as they make it back to the starfighter. Greef watches as the Djarin family steps inside, Din taking Grogu and Astra holding on to Zora. The youngest Djarin is sound asleep thanks to the comforts of her jogan treat. Astra cradles her close and watches as Din checks in on everyone before he gets himself settled with Grogu.

Greef nods and looks between Din and Astra. "We hope to see you soon," he says to them.

Din returns the gesture. "Keep IG-11 safe until we get back with that part."

Greef takes a quick glance over his shoulder and offers a hopeful smile. "If the Anzellans can't find it, I don't know who can." The two friends nod at each other once more. "Safe travels."

Grogu waves at Greef as he backs away from the ship. Astra chuckles to herself while Din powers up the ship. In just a few moments, they're headed away from Nevarro, returning to the endless sea of stars. Astra takes a deep breath and plants a kiss in Zora's curly hair. She'd follow her husband all over the galaxy, but that never makes their return to the stars any easier.

Din's voice startles Astra when it comes through the intercom. "Before we head to Peli's, I'd like to check in with Bo-Katan," Din informs her. "We can tell her of our plans."

Astra swallows her nerves and responds. "Sure, Din. Whatever you think is best."

"It'll be quick." Din pauses and Astra can hear Grogu's curious coos. Her chest flames with warmth when Din begins to speak to him. "All right, buddy, listen carefully. Being a Mandalorian's not just learning about how to fight. You also have to know how to navigate the galaxy, because you never know where you might be headed next."

Astra strains herself somewhat to see past Din's helmet. Her lips widen in a smile when she sees Din pointing out his console stations.

"This here is your hyperspace map." Grogu releases a long coo. "You determine your range by looking at your fuel gauge. And this..."

Din gets cut off by a rapid beeping tone. Grogu whimpers with worry and Astra has to keep herself from doing the same.

"... Is your enemy proximity warning indicator." Din glances over his shoulder to locate the threat. Astra's gaze follows his, a concerned knot securing itself inside her stomach. "Hang on, kid. We got pirates." Din takes another look back at Astra. "You too, rid'ika."

"I'll try my best," Astra assures him. She clutches Zora tight enough to make the sleeping child huff with a surprised breath.

A familiar voice announces itself over the intercoms. "Avast, Mandalorian," the pirate Vane says. Astra's blood runs cold in her veins; They waited this long for us? "You can't just sneak away after cuttin' down four of my brothers in cold blood."

Astra kneads her fingers against Zora in gentle yet anxious motions. She wonders if Vane's even aware of her and Zora's presence.

"We're Pirate King Gorian Shard's men," Vane continues, "now you'll answer to him."

Din's quick with his witty response. "Gorian Shard should stick to hijacking and ransoming."

Astra can see Grogu nestle himself underneath Din's bandolier, and just a moment later, Din's pushing the starfighter forward. Zora stirs on Astra's shoulder at the motion, even trying to lift her head. Astra sets a hand upon it and urges it back down. "It's all right, Zo," Astra assures her, despite the way their ship begins to spin over and over again to avoid getting shot down. "Papa's got it."

Zora wriggles in Astra's grasp, either curious or concerned about what's going on. "Baba!" she exclaims, her voice muffled.

Din can still hear it. "I'm here, Zozo!" he reassures her through the intercom. More beeping from the console cuts off anything else he was going to say to his daughter. "Three more."

Astra closes her eyes and heaves a deep breath. A dogfight wasn't the ideal way she saw this journey beginning. Zora fusses and Astra puts all her focus into keeping herself calm. Din's always composed in these situations; the unease Zora senses can only be coming from her mother. Astra reopens her eyes and upon seeing Din weaving them through an asteroid field, she hides her face in her daughter's head.

She's surprised to find that as the dogfight goes on, Zora's worried coos turn to soft laughter, just like her brother's that make their way through the intercom. Astra can't help chuckling and shaking her head. Only her and Din's children would find this kind of dangerous chaos amusing.

Bright flashes of explosions outside the viewport draw Astra's attention back to the fight. Din's taking out their fighters easily, which brings a victorious smile to Astra's lips. Despite her worries, she truly never doubted her husband's piloting abilities. He's the best she's ever flown with, and when it comes to his family's safety, he doesn't mess around.

Soon, only Vane's fighter is left. Din pursues him with no mercy, weaving through each obstacle with ease. Astra holds her breath as she waits for Din to take the final shot that will end this crisis, but when Din pilots the starfighter around one of the larger asteroids in his pursuit, all Astra can see is a ship that's much too large to avoid. The alarm beeps and Astra keeps Zora close, her eyes widening when she sees guns from all over the ship engage.

"Dank farrik," Din curses with a sigh. "They have a target lock on us."

"Din..." Astra warns. Zora whines from her place against Astra's shoulder.

"Don't worry. I've got this." Din takes a calculated breath. "Just... hang on to something."

Astra does as he says while a new voice comes over the comms. "Stop where you are, Mandalorian. You're outgunned."

Din responds with his signature amount of composure. "I have no quarrel with you, Gorian Shard."

"Ha! What a kind sentiment from a man who just destroyed four of my fighters."

Astra bites her tongue to keep herself from responding to the pirate. Din also says nothing, letting the Pirate King continue.

"Surrender your ship and I will spare your life."

Din looks down at Grogu and glances over his shoulder at Zora. "Kids?" Both Grogu and Zora coo at their father. Astra raises a curious eyebrow. "Never trust a pirate."

With that, Din activates the starfighter's sublight thrusters. Astra closes her eyes and resists the urge to exclaim a curse aloud as both Grogu and Zora giggle their way over Gorian Shard's ship. Din gets them into hyperspace just moments later, and as soon as the piloting's out of his control, he nearly turns his whole body around to look at Astra and Zora.

"Are you two okay?" Din's tone is laced with the concern he can reveal now that it's safe for him to do so.

"We're fine," Astra assures him with a smile. She lets Zora sit up from her shoulder and their daughter coos and presses her hands against the transparisteel that separates them.

"Baba!" Zora cheers as she bounces herself with excitement on Astra's lap.

"Zozo!" Din exclaims back at her.

"Baba, Baba, Baba!" Zora presses even more against the transparisteel as she starts to realize she can't get through. Her exclamations of joy quickly turn to cries as she tries to get to her father. "Baba..."

"Oh, baby girl, I know." Din faces forward and checks the console. "We'll be out of hyperspace and on planet in just a few minutes, okay?"

Zora looks at Astra with a wobbling lip. "Mmma," she whimpers. She points at the transparisteel. "Baba... Go..."

The warmth that floods Astra's chest is incomparable as she gives her daughter an encouraging smile. "We'll be reunited with them in just a few minutes, angel."

Zora continues to pout, but ultimately lets herself fall back into Astra's arms. The starfighter jumps out of hyperspace moments later, revealing a planet of swirling blues and greens. "This is Kalevala," Din announces, likely to a curious Grogu. "It's another planet in the Mandalorian system." Rain starts to hit the transparisteel as they continue their descent. Astra can see the structure they're approaching just as Din mentions it. "And that is a Mandalorian castle."

Astra's lips spread in a bittersweet smile. She's heard of the planet before, back when she was a child. Her parents had visited on diplomatic business, though Astra had still been too young to attend with them. The castle is somewhat reminiscent of the many Astra visited with her parents once she was older. She can only hope that whoever dwells within it will maintain their sense of diplomacy.

Din lands the starfighter and opens his canopy without a moment to waste. Grogu gets the pram ready while Din helps Astra and Zora out of the ship. He keeps Zora tucked in his arm and shields her from the rain as best he can with his cape. Astra stays close by his side as their family makes their way past the service droid and up towards the castle. She forces herself to take a deep breath, though the thoughts of an unwanted duel plague her mind and heart.

The Djarin family comes upon a long corridor that leads to an occupied throne. Astra moves even closer to Din's side and he accepts her there, brushing a hand over her back for comfort. His hand returns to his side once they get closer, their footsteps being the only noise heard until Din finally announces their arrival.

"Bo-Katan," Din calls for her. "It is Din and Astra Djarin."

Bo-Katan looks at them, unimpressed from where she sits—no, lays—upon her throne. Astra swallows hard and raises her chin as her and Din stop in front of her.

"We are here to join you," Din finishes.

Bo-Katan doesn't move as she takes a long pause. "There's nothing left to join."

Din and Astra share a confused look. "What of your plans to retake Mandalore?" he asks her.

Bo-Katan raises her brow. "When I returned without the Darksaber, my forces melted away." Astra tightens her hands into fists at her mention of the weapon that hangs from Din's belt.

"Where is the stolen fleet?"

"Making their way through the galaxy as mercenaries." Bo-Katan gives Din a quick once-over. Astra circles her jaw. "Do you still have the saber?"

Din looks down for a moment. "I do." His visor returns to Bo-Katan.

"Then you lead them. Wave that thing around and they'll do whatever you say."

"You would know," Astra mutters to herself.

Din moves closer to her side, a gentle warning. He keeps his attention on Bo-Katan. "So you gave up your designs to retake Mandalore?"

Bo-Katan waits a beat before answering. Her words bring an anger like fire to Astra's veins. "Your cult gave up on Mandalore long before the Purge. Where were you then?"

Din's visor starts to fall as Astra's vision becomes a red haze.

"The Children of the Watch and all the factions that came before fractured and shattered our people." Bo-Katan pauses and looks between both Din and Astra. "Go home."

"We don't have a home to go to," Astra speaks up before she can stop herself. Her tone is as fiery as the rage she's fighting to suppress. "Much like you, we've both lost our homes. He's lost his not once, but twice. We know well what this loss feels like." Astra gestures to where Bo-Katan continues to remain laid out on her throne. "But we didn't sit around, wait for people to feel sorry for us, and blame others even when plans changed. We decided to move on and do something."

Bo-Katan remains unfazed. She sits in the silence and gives her head a small shake. "It's pointless. There's nothing left."

Din speaks before Astra has the chance to. "We're going to Mandalore," he insists, "so that I may bathe in the Living Waters and be forgiven for my transgressions."

Astra's jaw tightens when Bo-Katan suppresses the urge to laugh at him. "You are a fool. There's nothing magic about the mines of Mandalore. They supplied beskar ore to our ancestors and the rest is superstition."

"Have you ever considered that there may be beliefs other than your own?" Astra snaps, unable to help herself any longer, "Just because they aren't yours doesn't mean they're not correct."

Bo-Katan doesn't miss a beat with her response. "Have you ever considered that the man you're defending left you, his wife, stranded alone on a boat over these same beliefs?"

Astra makes a move towards Bo-Katan, but the quick grasp Din takes on her arm stops her. She looks at her husband with poorly concealed fury. Zora whimpers from her place against Din's armored shoulder as he tilts his helmet at her. "Don't defend that action of mine," he murmurs. "She's right." Din turns his visor towards Bo-Katan. "I should be speaking for myself."

Astra forces herself to take a deep breath for composure while Bo-Katan continues. "Like I said before, there's nothing left on Mandalore. That planet has been ravaged, plundered, and poisoned."

"You said that the curse was a lie," Din reminds her. "Make up your mind."

Bo-Katan takes a breath. "If you want to go into the mines, be my guest. They're beneath the civic center in the city of Sundari."

Din nods at her. "Thank you." He looks at Astra and nods. "And we will find out if the planet is really poisoned."

With that, Din turns to walk away from the throne. Astra follows, though she doesn't start to relax until Din sets a hand upon her back and keeps it there. Bo-Katan says one last thing in a tone that makes Astra fight the urge to turn back around. "Goodbye, Din and Astra Djarin."

Silence sits between Din and Astra until they've made their way back to the starfighter. They pause at the bottom of the stairs and face each other. Astra sighs and holds her arms, a strong wave of shame overcoming her. "I'm sorry," she apologizes to Din as she avoids his visor. "I shouldn't have said anything. I just..." Astra huffs and holds her arms tighter. "I know how much your Creed means to you, and to hear her say those things is just... it's not okay."

Din sets Zora beside Grogu in the pram and holds Astra's face between his gloved hands. She meets his visor and the look alone brings her an overwhelming warmth of comfort. After a long pause, Din speaks in a soft and genuine voice that crackles through his modulator. "Thank you." He pulls her into an embrace, tucking her head under the lip of his helmet as she holds tight to his middle. "You said all the things I wasn't brave enough to." He sighs and buries his helmet more into her. "Thank you for the way you love me and my Creed." Astra can hear Din's hard swallow. "Even after what I did to you."

Astra pulls away from the embrace to hold his helmet between her hands. "I understand, Din. We talked through it long ago. You don't have to carry that burden any longer." She presses his helmet to her forehead. "I promise." She kisses his visor. "No matter what anyone says, it's you and me against the galaxy."

Din holds her face in return. "I agree." He lets himself release a soft chuckle. "But let's just start with Mandalore."

Astra laughs with him. "Sounds good to me."

With that, the Djarin family prepares for one more stop on their journey to Mandalore. As the starfighter takes off, Astra prays to the stars that the hardest part of their adventure is past them, though she knows it's a naive hope to have going to a planet that very well may have nothing but disappointment and danger to offer them. •••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 220 12
━ ❝𝘸𝘦'𝘳𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦, 𝘥𝘪𝘯. 𝘸𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘦 𝘢 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘺 𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨.❞ OR ━ 𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘢𝘴𝘴�...
771 48 13
Y/N is a Togruta. You and Din were best friends at a young age, you dare say siblings even in a sudden turn of events you are told that Din is dead a...
148K 5K 35
🪐⭐️💥🥀 - "there was a feeling of inevitability when i met you. the sense that we would be together; that there would be a moment when you wou...
16.1K 488 9
"𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐣𝐨𝐛 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐣𝐨𝐛, 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭?" A daring favor from Boba Fett sends you and Din undercover to...