Deemotay

By KristinaVallaste

Ketlin is an average teen, living in a small Estonian town. She had a normal life, normal friends... Then the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 8

1.1K 11 0
By KristinaVallaste

KETLIN

"Adam, what are you doing here?" He stood just a few meters from me.

"I had to be sure you're still fine. And that you haven't told anyone."

"No, I haven't." I tried to remember if I had the necklace with me.

"In that case I must ask you to keep it like this, please. For your own sake."

"People have been killed and my best friend is at the hospital. How could I keep it to myself forever?" He made me a bit angry, but I tried not to show it out. I was still scared of him.

He made a few steps towards me, I backed down. "I understand, but like I said, It's for your own sake. Lucy doesn't really care about much, but she always makes sure that everyone who sees her like this, will be silent forever."

"You're saying that she wants to kill me?" I asked startled.

"I tried to convince her not to, but when the rumors will start to go around, she can try it."

I remembered Kairi. "But Kairi saw something. Is she in danger too?"

"She knows too little. I don't believe anything will happen to her."

Just as I felt the relief, I remembered that I had forgotten about Sara. How did that happen? "But Sara? What will I tell her? I lied that I don't know what had happened."

This seemed to confuse Adam a bit. "Sara saw something?"

"She saw Lucy. And she knows that she did something to her," I said. Adam didn't answer. "Is it bad?" I asked then.

"I didn't know Lucy showed herself to Sara. She didn't mention it. But if Sara has seen her like this, Lucy will go after her sooner or later," told Adam me. And it scared me.

"Is there anything we can do?" I asked with a slight panic.

"If Sara will say at least one word about it, she's gone. If she agrees to stay silent, there will be a small chance for her." He thought for a second. "Something like your necklace might help her. But they're hard to find."

"I could give her mine."

"No, you need to keep it."

"But Lucy is a bigger threat to her than me," I protested.

"Lucy can change her mind."

Silence

"But what should I do then?" I asked finally.

"Call Sara. Tell her not to say a word about anything and that you'll explain later. I will talk to Lucy and keep an eye on her."

"But if Sara doesn't accept this?"

"Let's try. Tomorrow go to school and don't think about it. If anything happens, I'll let you know."

I was about to ask, how will he let me know, cause I hadn't given him my number, but suddenly he just disappeared into thin air. I looked around, but saw nothing. Then I turned around and ran inside.

When in my room, I immediately called Sara. Luckily she answered, though it was late. I told her what I had to, and promised to explain some time later. She had many questions, but luckily was willing to keep quiet.

I was nervous the whole night. When I had to go to sleep, I stayed up in my room and switched on the table lamp. I took out my necklace and had a look at it's broken chain. Yup, it can't be repaired. So I searched through my drawers till I found an old necklace that I hadn't worn for ages. I took the heart and replaced it's broken chain with a new one. The new chain seemed to be strong, at least, and suited the little heart shape. Then I put the necklace on me and went to bed. But I could't help myself from wondering, why did Adam want  to help me and Sara.

In the Morning I thought if I should call Sara again and ask if she's fine. But I figured that it would make her even more curious or worrying. So I finally decided to trust Adam at that point.

School helped me think of other stuff and calmed me down a bit. I noticed that Adam wasn't at school today. The day passed quickly and soon I was at home again. It was quiet there, as mum was at work. And the silence wanted to bring back all the bad thoughts. Finally I decided to go take a walk outside.

Fresh air felt good. It was a bit windy and colder than usually, but otherwise it was great. I walked around our garden. There was a forest behind our house. I sat on a big rock near the trees, that was there for a decoration. Then again I heard something. And of course I flinched when Adam showed up.

"Sorry," said he smiling and kept his distance. "I came to say that your friend is safe at the moment. Lucy had to go... It's not important where. But I can't say her plans after that."

I nodded and tried not to think about where Lucy had gone. After awhile I decided to ask something. "Why do you want to help us at all?"

At first he stayed silent. "I believe it's because of my past. After all, we were all humans once."

This one surprised me. "You were a human?"

He laughed at my question. "I thought you knew that, as you already seem to know some about us."

"But... how old you were when...?"

"Eighteen," he answered my unfinished question. But I didn't get it. He was eighteen at the moment.

"How old are you?" I asked then.

He smiled again. "I was born two hundred and ninety eight years ago. Two hundred and eighty years have I been a deemotay."

I was stunned. Two hundred and ninety eight? Really?

"But if I may ask, how did you know about us after all? And you didn't wear the necklace before," Adam asked.

"Um.. I happened to read about it from the Internet. And granny gave me the necklace." Right after saying that out, I started to wonder if I shoudn't have mentioned my granny. But then I remembered something else. My necklace! I took it off in the PE lesson at school and forgot it into my schoolbag.

"Damn," I mumbled.

"What's wrong?" Adam asked. He heard me?

"I forgot my necklace..." Why did I tell him that?

He stared at me for a sec, probably understood what I was thinking of. "If you believe me, I can assure you I won't harm you."

I'm still not sure if I believe him. "But how can you go to school? Without blowing your cover, I mean."

He raised his eyebrow. "Wait, you believe that everyone who I touch will automatically be dead?"

"Um..." Yes, I did.

He smiled again. "It's not that bad. In that case I should completely lock myself away."

Okay, that was logical. But now, to think about Sara again... "But if this necklace protects me from a touch of your kind, why can't I give some of that sugarra to Sara. Wouldn't it work the same way?"

"It actually doesn't protect from the touch. I would just get burned. And it wouldn't help. The protecting item must be done by a professional and done carefully. And the one who makes it must be one hundred percent sure, that it would work. And it's not even half as easy as it sounds."

"So the only way to help Sara is to convince Lucy," I assumed. And I have no idea, how good Adam is at that.

Adam nodded.

Out of curiosity I changed the subject again. "But what it was in your past then that made you act so... different. Friendly, I mean. With humans." I have no idea how I even had the courage to ask that.

"You're afraid of me, but still asking this." He smiled.

"How do you know I'm scared?" I tried to act more confident.

He slowly came closer and sat besides me. It made me shiver.

"I can feel it in the air," he said.

"But outside you look like a normal person."

"If you're so sure about yourself, you can just take my hand."

I wasn't sure about myself. And he knew it, he was just playing with me. And yet, when talking with him, I feel myself different. I can't describe it, but for example I say out things that I'd rather like to keep to myself. Did he do something to me? After a long silence I didn't think about it anymore, just took his hand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151 18 34
If you were in high school and the students around you were acting weird, what would you do? Jade Ryans is in her final year of High School at Heartf...
13K 673 32
Since Analiese's mother died she's been tossed around like baggage, wondering why her life has to be this way. The day she was pulled away from her m...
77.5K 1.1K 5
WATTYS 2021 HORROR WINNER! How to Save Your School from Soul-Stealing Demons will be PUBLISHED in summer 2024! see inside for updates! 😈 Diego's li...
2.9K 346 30
Is it Alive? Annaliese doesn't understand why her mysterious father drops her off at her Uncle Ed's house, or why, for that matter, he enrolls her i...