Make Me Smile || Kurt Cobain

By rocklover69

Set in the summer of 1992, Nirvana is getting bigger and bigger by the minute and are at the height of their... More

Chapter 1 - Prologue
Chapter 2 - Won't Regret A Thing
Chapter 3 - Intros
Chapter 4 - Won't You Believe It's Just My Luck
Chapter 5 - Humble Abode?
Chapter 6 - To Be Or Not To Be
Chapter 7 - I'll Miss You Babygirl
Chapter 8 - On The Road
Chapter 9 - Sparks
Chapter 10 - The Go Gets Going
Chapter 11 - Late Night Talks
Chapter 12 - Madonna's Birthday (Part I)
Chapter 13 - Madonna's Birthday (Part II)
Chapter 14 - The Redhead That Wears The Crown
Chapter 15 - Bad Omen
Chapter 16 - The More, The Merrier!
Chapter 17 - A Closer Eye
Chapter 18 - Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
Chapter 19 - What Is What I Need?
Chapter 20 - Going Nowhere
Chapter 21 - Experience Anything You Need
Chapter 22 - Welcome To England
Chapter 23 - Protective Cobain
Chapter 24 - Little Ashlyn
Chapter 25 - Affection, Not Romance
Chapter 26 - Too Close For Comfort
Chapter 27 - In Disguises No One Knows
Chapter 28 - Downer
Chapter 29 - All In All Is All We Are
Chapter 30 - The Day I Tried To Live
Chapter 31 - Choking On The Ashes Of Her Enemy
Chapter 32 - Nirvana: Live At Reading (Part I)
Chapter 33 - Nirvana: Live At Reading (Part II)
Chapter 35 - Endless Climb
Chapter 36 - One More Time Around
Chapter 37 - Talk About Timing
Chapter 38 - On A Plain
Chapter 39 - I Need An Easy Friend
Chapter 40 - Back In Black
Chapter 41 - You're My Vitamin
Chapter 42 - Ashlyn's Greatest Enemy
Chapter 43 - Negative Creep
Chapter 44 - Aqua Sea Foam Shame
Chapter 45 - After Effects
Chapter 46 - As An Old Enemy
Chapter 47 - Patience
Chapter 48 - The Hunt
Chapter 49 - Fatal Flaw
Chapter 50 - Even In His Youth
Chapter 51 - Serve The Servants
Chapter 52 - Teenage Angst
Chapter 53 - She Caught Me Off My Guard
Chapter 54 - The Will Of Instinct (Part I)
Chapter 55 - The Will Of Instinct (Part II)
Chapter 56 - Reflection
Chapter 57 - Take Your Time
Chapter 58 - Hurry Up
Chapter 59 - Choice Is Yours
Chapter 60 - Don't Be Late
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 61 - Times And Seasons
Chapter 62 - Emptiness
Chapter 63 - My Favorite Inside Source
Chapter 64 - I'll Kiss Your Open Sores
Chapter 65 - Appreciate Your Concern
Chapter 66 - You're Gonna Stink And Burn
Chapter 67 - Reinventing What We Knew
Chapter 68 - Heart To Heart
Chapter 69 - With Eyes So Dilated
Chapter 70 - Holy Reunion
Chapter 71 - Dangerous Games
Chapter 72 - I Never Lost Control
Chapter 73 - You're Face To Face

Chapter 34 - Nirvana: Live At Reading (Part III)

401 17 7
By rocklover69

Ashlyn

Okay no doubt, this had to be the most stressful concert we've ever played at. At least for me.

I could feel my fucking legs.

But at last, it was time for the final song which was Smells Like Teen Spirit no doubt.

"Are you alright?" Krist asked me as he patted my back gently. I nodded.

"Just really tired." I confessed. "I wonder how Tony still has energy" Krist laughed. "But I guess should have enough juice for one more song" I said. Krist smiled.

"Or two?" He offered. I looked confused as Kurt began playing the melody of Boston's 'More Than A Feeling'. I groaned inwardly but couldn't help but smile at the fact that Kurt enjoyed poking fun at crowds.

He knew everyone was expecting Teen Spirit.

And it just struck me how alike the sounds of Teen Spirit and More Than A Feeling were.

Nonetheless we continued playing with Dave and Krist singing sounding pretty good actually. Kurt shot a smile at Krist and I as we continued to troll the audience who couldn't even care less as they kept cheering and jamming along.

Well, no one really knew what to expect from a Nirvana concert after all.

Eventually Kurt got to playing Smells Like Teen Spirit, intentionally butchering the verse riff and the solo.

I shook my head at him but it was understandable. It was really a chore when most people only paid attention to one song when he had other ones that were just as good.

But then something funny happened. Funny as in strange, a little out of the ordinary. This occurred while Kurt sang the third and final verse of the song. Immediately after the solo.

"And I forget just why I taste, oh well I guess you make me smile" He sang as he turned over and smiled at me once he sang the line 'Oh well I guess you make me smile'. (The title of the book too hehe)

The actual lyric was 'Oh well I guess it makes me smile' but he butchered it on purpose.

Was that just to poke fun or did he direct it at me?

"I found it hard, you're hard to find. Oh well, whatever, nevermind" He finished as he gazed at me once last time, butchering the line 'I found it hard, it's hard to find' before turning back to the audience.

My heart thumped loudly as we played the final chords of the song. I prayed to God that I wouldn't mess it up and thankfully I didn't.

To wrap up Kurt played a 'grunged up' version of the Star Spangled banner while I sat on a nearby speaker, finally thankful to rest my legs.

Despite being so tired, I've never felt so alive. Playing in front of the largest audience I've ever seen and hell singing a song I co-wrote. It was intense!

What a concert!

Eddie

I groaned loudly once Chris told me the entire story. Was this really my friend? Was I friends with someone who could do something this despicable?

"Say something man" Chris egged.

"I'm disappointed in you Chris. Honestly. I still can't believe you'd do something like this... again"

"I know." Chris said with a sigh. "It's just... I felt... I... I don't know"

"Okay what if she didn't have the guys to protect? What if she was just a groupie who said no to your advances? What would you had done?" I asked. Chris was silent but we both knew the answer to my question.

"Ed, I'd never go that far" He said. I nodded, I knew he wouldn't. "But I may have stolen a few more kisses from her"

"Chris, that's wrong on so many accounts. You know this."

"I know. I'm gonna apologize to her after the concert"

"No. You're not. Please" I stated. "Each time you get closer to that girl you do something crazy. Just let her be. Or at least take me along" I asked.

Chris nodded and gave out a sigh. He sustained bruised ribs and had a black eye and a busted lip but he looked alright nonetheless. He thankfully didn't suffer a concussion.

"When did you become like this man?" I asked. He shrugged.

"I don't know. I wish I had an answer to this. I honestly wish I did" Chris said. "I honestly wish I did. The girl just drives me crazy"

I groaned.

I just wanted to enjoy a little English vacation but it looks like I'm gonna be the one to clean this mess up.

"I'll call Kurt tomorrow okay. By then I expect you to get your head together" I said. "We're all gonna have an actual civilized conversation, okay?"

The things I do for friendship.

Ashlyn

I was ecstatic. I was on top of the world. I had this ever present feeling of adrenalin that pulsed through my veins and it just... it was fucking amazing!

As we exited the stage, we all walked together through the crowd of people as we signed some autographs and took pictures. I was flattered that people wanted me in the pictures and wanted my autograph.

It still felt so surreal that I was now a celebrity.

Eventually, we were done with the whole fan sessions and Kurt pulled out a cigarette intending to smoke but he suddenly froze and turned over to see me waving at him.

"Yeah, I'll just smoke later" He said, remembering my allergy as he tucked the lighter back into his pocket.

Still with the cigarette in his mouth, we walked a bit more then suddenly...

"Nirvana!" I heard a man call. I turned around a bit confused until I realized he was calling for Kurt.

What?

"Nirvana hey, I want you to meet my son Craig" The man said as he brought his twelve or thirteen year old son to Kurt and boy did the boy look happy.

He called Kurt his hero and everything and I could tell Kurt was stunned. He was definitely caught off guard as the boy kept on showering him with praises.

"Uh... don't smoke!" He blurted out which made me giggle as I noticed the cigarette was still in his mouth. The boy nodded as Kurt took some pictures with him and signed a few autographs.

Kurt's interaction with the lad was really cute and wholesome.

"Excuse me miss, can I also have a picture?" Craig asked directing the question to me. Now it was my time to be caught off guard.

"Um, yeah sure. Absolutely" I said with a grin as I took a picture with the boy.

"Thank you!" He said happily. "Do you also mind if I can get an autograph?"

"Of course!" I beamed as I signed a CD. "Here you go Craig"

"Thank you. And you two make an amazing couple" He complimented. Kurt smiled lightly while I blushed.

"Thanks little man but we're not a couple" He said as he wrapped his arm around my waist. "Yet"

Craig and his Dad laughed as they said their goodbyes.

"Not a couple yet" I teased Kurt. "We both know what you need to do to make it official"

"I know" He said as he rubbed my back comfortingly. "Let's go see your brother and the guys" Kurt suggested. I nodded as we went over to them.

"Axl!" I screamed as I got out of Kurt's grasp and practically jumped on my brother.

"Sweetheart!" He cheered. "You were amazing! Hell you should be the lead singer instead" Axl teased. "Talent runs in the family you know"

Kurt rolled his eyes as I giggled and went over to Mike who outstretched his arms out for a hug.

"Good to know that I didn't waste those fourteen hours on that plane. You did great tigress!" Mike said, hugging me tightly, lifting me up and spinning me in a circle in the process. I giggled as he finally set me down.

Then I went over to Izzy who gave me a small smile. I went over to give him a hug as well but I noticed that while he was happy, he looked a bit disturbed.

I made a mental note to ask him about that later.

"You did great" He whispered into my ear. I nodded and gave him a slight peck on the cheek before heading over to Kurt's side.

Kurt sent a glare towards Izzy's direction which made me roll my eyes. Not this stupid jealousy again.

To ease Kurt's tension, I turned his face to mine and gave him a kiss straight on the lips.

"Stop" Kiss. "Being" Kiss. "Jealous" Kiss. "Okay?"

"Hmm. Alright I will" He said with a goofy smile. Honestly, I've never seen Kurt smile this much in one day. It was good. It made him look even more handsome.

"Well I guess the food won't stay down today" Izzy remarked, sounding disgusted.

"Same here" Axl said feigning puking sounds. The only person who stayed quiet was Michael. He sent me an unsure look which definitely made me knew we had a lot to talk about.

Because I hadn't really talked about my and Kurt's 'relationship' with him.

Oh boy.

"So Iz, Ash hugged Mike first. You know what that means?" Axl teased. I raised an eyebrow as Izzy rolled his eyes.

I gave him a look of confusion as Mike smirked at Izzy in a similarly teasing manner.

But I didn't have time for this. I was really hungry and tired.

"Well I don't have time for this. I'm going to get some food then... Kurt, would you come back with me to the hotel or you'll stay?" I asked.

"I'll stay. I might come around later. I've gotta go check on Court and Frances." I nodded.

"I can come back with you Ash. I'm not really doing anything here" Izzy suggested. Kurt looked distraught but remained silent. Thankfully.

That kiss I gave him must had set him straight.

Even if it was a little bit.

"Well I'm staying. Steph is still here. What about you Stone?"

"Yeah I'll go too" He said.

"Perfect, you can ride with Izzy and I" I suggested happily.

"Yeah, what a great idea" Kurt said, strangely enthusiastically. Izzy glared at him.

"I would've but I'm not staying at your hotel." Mike said as he ruffled my hair.

"Hey!"

"But hey, we can go out for lunch tomorrow. We've got a lot to catch up on"

"I'd like that" I said as I gave the guys a final group hug then went off with Izzy.

I couldn't ignore Kurt's worried expression throughout the ordeal but at the same time I was getting a bit tired of it.

Especially when I couldn't understand what he had against the Raven haired guitarist.

"Ready to go beautiful?" Izzy asked. I nodded. "Maybe we can stop by a diner first"

"Sure. God knows I'm craving some food" I said patting my tummy comically as we both shared a laugh.

I felt really happy. I was part of a band that headlined a major music festival, I played, told jokes, sang and currently I was in the company of 6 of the most important people in my life.

Only person missing was my best friend Taylor. But I was sure I would see her real soon.

Other than that, I couldn't be happier.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206 3 20
‼️⚠️THIS STORY CONTAINS SEX, VIOLENCE AND DRUGS⚠️‼️ Sixteen years old girl named Annie is a girl who has a band. She will leave school just to practi...
8.1K 192 10
When Pearl Jam does a show in Hollywood, Eddie Vedder meets Justine Belloti, a biracial shy college student with a love for music whom he's instantl...
109K 3.3K 45
A story of two people living a lifestyle where it can sometimes seem like the party never stops. Kurt and Lily are trying to figure out how to keep t...
92.3K 2.2K 83
**BOOK 1** His touch sends me to a world where only he and I exist, where everything that's bad in the world flutters away and the only thing that ma...