Hers | ✔ | (Editing)

Por nadia__writes

❝I know love can be as pointless as it is to Nancy, and perhaps even as revolting as it is to Bill Sikes, but... Mais

Hers
00| Elysian
01| Orphic
02| Eccedentesiast
03| Kalon
04| Mauerbauertraurigkeit
05| Epiphany
06| Froward
07| Selcouth
08| Monachopsis
09| Illecebrous
10| Petrichor
12| Lagom
13| Philocaly
14| Frisson
15| Abditory
16| Brumous
17| Haimish
18| Atychiphobia
19| Limerence
20| Collywobbles
21| Basorexia
22| Feuillemort
23| Querencia
24| Amaranthine
25| Lacuna
26| Aquiver
27| Commuovere
28| Adamantine
Author's Note
29| Redamancy
30| Kilig
31| Baisemain
32| Hiraeth
33| Eunoia
34| Demure
35| Zweisamkeit
36| Epilogue
37| Balter
One Shot Competition!
Deadlines & FAQ's!
Tomorrow!
One Shot Results!
38| Sirimiri
Prequel Is Up!
39| Latibule

11| Diaphonous

26.1K 1.2K 566
Por nadia__writes

1 1

D i a p h o n o u s

  /dʌɪˈaf(ə)nəs/ 

(adj.) light, translucent and delicate.

  ♡♡♡ 

With you, I am home.

 ♡♡♡

Aaron's sweater was still in her room.

She remembered that during Physics class, the utter horror of it making a small gasp escape her lips.

She didn't see him after Chemistry.

Rose knew there was something wrong when it came to Aaron, and it killed her to see him like that, but she knew that he needed time.

He needed to think as he always did, and as much as she wanted to ask him about it, she restrained herself.

And as Rose was taking the bus back home, that was when she realised how precious human beings really were, how human we really are.

She thought Aaron was hard as nails, stiff as a board when it came to stuff like this. But even then, he proved her wrong.

The boy who she thought had no room for emotion, was over flowing with it.

The blue eyed boy had more emotion in him than she thought, and it made her heart do a little flutter.

Emotions were something one couldn't see nor touch, but they were something that could destroy, kill.

And Rose pondered on the thought as she went home, greeting her Mom with a kiss on the cheek as she dashed to her room.

The first thing that caught her eyes was Aaron's black sweater shoved rather obviously under her bed.

Rose's Mom would know that it wasn't hers, and Rose didn't want any questions regarding the matter.

Aaron was her little secret.

Rose laid her bag on the ground before she tied her hair in a bun, exhaling a small breath as she closed her door.

It wasn't often when Rose became a sneaky little rat, but then again, she didn't want to get caught.

She took Aaron's sweater before she dashed to the bathroom, locking the door behind her as she started filling the sink with water.

Rose then started pouring some of her shampoo in the sink, using her fingers to latter up the water. She hoped Aaron wouldn't mind his sweater smelling like shampoo, but she couldn't possibly go and get the detergent.

Her Mom would know, and then came the questioning that Rose couldn't be bothered to answer.

She started washing his jacket, scrubbing away any dirt that might have accumulated on the sweater until it was spotless.

Her fingers hurt after washing, but she knew he deserved it.

She then looked at the black sweater, drenches in the bubbles water as she thought.

Well, how was she suppose to dry it now?

Rose pursed her lips, weirdly eyeing the sweater as though it was going to answer her question before an idea popped in her head.

She zipped out of the bathroom, running to her Mother as she wheezed out a breath.

She ran so suddenly that it also seemed to knock the breathe out of her Mother too. "Rose, dear, don't do that."

"Mom-" She took a deep breath. "can I use your blow dryer?"

Her Mom crossed her eyebrows, giving Rose a weird look as she said. "You want to use my blow dryer?"

"Yes Mom," Rose said casually, taking in another whiff of fresh air as her Mom looked at her with parted lips.

"Honey, your hair isn't wet,"

"Well it will be when I take a bath," Rose said, pursing her lips as she shook her head.

Helen seemed more shocked by the second, her hazel eyes holding confusion. "Yeah sure, second drawer, far left."

Rose gave her Mom a sweet smile. "Thanks Mom,"

Helen nodded her head as she watched Rose get the blow dryer, before rushing out of the room back to her own.

Rose then raced back to the bathroom, plugging in the blow dryer as she held up Aaron's sweater and blow dried it.

She was grateful her Mom didn't come knocking as she usually did when Rose used the blow dryer, but it also double the anxiety that was flowing through her.

By the time she was finished her fingers were slightly blistered and had a few scratches, but other than that, her hands were alright and so was the sweater.

She couldn't wait to see him.

✼✼✼

She didn't see him.

The only one circulating the cafe was Steve, balancing multiple plates on his arms as he moved along the customers.

She couldn't breathe, couldn't breathe, couldn't breathe.

It felt weird not seeing Aaron working at the counter, wiping it clean as he would take her order and work his magic.

And if definitely didn't feel right when Steve jogged to her table, a pen and note pad ready in hand as he asked. "What can I bring for you Ma'am?"

She was used to Aaron's blue stare, not Steve's green one.

"Umm, yeah," She spluttered, a small flush tickling her cheek. "I would like a-"

A small hand patted Steve's shoulder. "No coffee for her Steve, thought I'd tell you that."

Blue, blue, blue eyes.

Aaron let out a little cough as he nodded his head to Rose. "Hey Rose," He greeted, his eyes flickering to Steve -who just stood confused- before he mumbled tired. "What ever she asks you, just tell her no coffee alright?"

Steve looked at Aaron weirdly, his eyes glancing at Rose for a moment. "But she can order whatever she-"

"Just trust me on this one," Aaron seemed tired, rubbing his eyes as he let out a small cough. "for God's sake just listen to me." His blue gaze settled on Rose, smile smile smile. "I've seen what it does to her."

Aaron then looked drained, but he still managed to make himself seem normal and well, but Rose saw right through it.

"I'll leave you to it then," said Aaron before he turned on his heel and left, and Rose could see how tense his chest was.

Steve shook his head before he offered Rose a friendly smile. "So what would you want Ma'am?"

Her eyes were still on Aaron.

She snapped to Steve, already grasping Aaron's neatly folded sweater in her hand as she stood up. "Actually I'm not hungry Steve, thank you for asking though, but may I ask where is Aaron?"

Steve seemed calm about the entire thing, shoving the note pad and pen back in his apron pocket as he said. "Oh Aaron? He's the back, trying to get some rest. Poor lad's been trying to feel better for the past hour and a half,"

Rose crossed her eyebrows, her heart already tightening in her chest. "Feel better?"

Steve nodded his head, his eyes flickering to the back of the cafe. "Yeah, sick as he could ever get," He then released a small sigh. "It beats me on how he's still working."

"What do you mean working? You told me he's resting in the back," The panic was leaking out of her voice.

Steve smiled, something she never saw him do before. "He took up my shift when I said I'd be late, poor guy's been working for 6 straight hours."

"6 straight hours?" Rose said shocked, her heart rocketing against her chest.

Steve's gaze turned soft, almost amazed as he told her. "Yeah." He then looked over his shoulder at the demanding customers before he told her. "Well I've got to go, work's waiting,"

"Steve wait," Rose said, instantly stopping him as he looked at her. "Do you think I can go and take a look at him?"

Steve then smiled, sincere green eyes staring at her before he nodded his head. "I'm sure he'd be happy to see you."

Rose gave Steve a small smile as she quietly thanked him and rushed to the back of the cafe.

✼✼✼

He wasn't happy to see her.

When Rose came in, Aaron was suffering from a coughing fit, wheezes escaping his lips as he tried to breathe in.

He was wearing his apron too, with a thin black shirt that clung to his torso as he coughed.

He was so beautiful.

Aaron then cleared his throat, exhaling a small breath before he resumed to lying down on the couch.

And when Rose came in and met his tired blue eyes, he freaked out.

"Rose?" He said, she could see him trying to stifle a cough. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to check up on you," Rose said, her soft brown gaze focusing on Aaron as she let out a little breath.

"I don't need you to check up on me Rose," Aaron said harshly, tearing his gaze away from her. "I'm perfectly fine."

She tried not to get hurt by his words.

But her eyes seemed to reflect some of her hurt, for Aaron's harsh stare softened, but she whispered. "Aaron I saw you coughing, you're not alright."

Aaron's blue eyes blazed, shaking his head furiously. "It doesn't matter whether you saw me or not, I'm absolutely fine Rose,"

His eyes were still so beautiful.

She feared to anger him, but gathering all the courage she had, Rose walked closer to him, placing two fingers against his forehead.

And he was burning.

"Aaron, goodness me you have a fever!" Rose exclaimed, her worried stare immediately meeting his annoyed one.

"Rose just leave me alone," Aaron said, clenching his jaw as he turned away from her. "I will deal with it myself."

Her heart hurt, hurt, hurt.

"Then what are you still doing here?" Rose said, her pleading gaze meeting his blue one as she sighed. "You're suppose to be home, resting."

Aaron didn't answer her, he simple turned away from her, as though she never came.

Now that one hurt.

Rose looked away from him, hot tears welling up in her brown eyes as she let out a small breath - why must he hurt her like that?

Her heart was crying.

Rose then let out a small whisper. "Alright then, I better get going. I need to be home soon,"

She spoke quietly, as though she didn't have any energy left to smile.

She then turned away from Aaron, a small sniffle involuntarily leaving her lips as she walked.

And then, he called.

"Rose,"

He said the four letter word as though it was a prayer, requesting for pardon.

She looked over her shoulder to see him, and she wanted to cry, cry, cry.

His shoulders were slumped, resting loosely against the sofa while his head drooped back, his sweaty hair sticking to his forehead as he tried his hardest to look at her.

And his eyes, his eyes, his eyes.

They looked like the ocean after sunset; reflecting the navy waves, while radiating the subtle sunlight. They seemed glazed, almost tired as he looked at her.

"Thank you," He whispered, shamefully bowing his head down. "For caring."

Warmth, warmth, warmth.

"It's alright Aaron," Rose smiled, nodding her head in understanding. "but I am willing to have a look at you if you let me; the offer still stands."

Aaron's jaw became set, creating a shadow of black right underneath his chin as he thought hard -beautiful, beautiful, beautiful- and then he swallowed. "There are no pillows here, and I can't sleep properly." His eyes looked scared, shining midnight blue.

She

couldn't

breath

anymore.

"So is it alright if you could-"

His eyes then rolled back, his mouth parting as wheezed coughs escaped them, before he fell onto the sofa; motionless, and Rose didn't take it well.

She stifled the scream that wanted to escape her lips, quickly rushing over his side as she felt his throat for a pulse.

He was breathing, and that was all that mattered.

Her fingers shook as they touched him, anxiety drowning her body in this volcano of scorching fire as she tried to breathe.

She saw how the sweat clung to his body as though it was a second layer of skin, how the shallow breaths he was taking made his chest seem to shiver, and Rose knew she couldn't possibly leave him like this.

So she turned around and called for Steve, requesting him to hand her a bowl of cold water and a wash cloth as his eyes settled on Aaron.

Steve did as he was told, not wasting a second as he handed Rose the things she asked.

She couldn't breathe, couldn't breathe, couldn't breathe.

She dipped the wash cloth in the cold water, squeezing out the excess as she laid it on Aaron's burning forehead.

"Steve," Rose's voice was stern, full of authority as she said. "Help me lay his head on my lap."

Steve nodded his head, watching as Rose seated herself next to Aaron's limp figure before he lifted the blue eyed boy, placing his head directly on Rose's lap.

"Thank you," Rose said, giving Steve a small smile. "that would be all."

Steve's green eyes were still tensed, worried as they stayed on Aaron.

And the last thing he said to Rose made her want to cry.

"Please, take care of him."

✼✼✼

It was a little past 8 pm, and Aaron showed no signs of movement.

His chest rose slowly up and down, his cold breaths tickling the air around them as he slept.

It felt weird seeing Aaron so quiet, but he was so breathtaking.

Every single feature on his face was whispering their presence to her warm eyes, demanding attention as he slept.

She never knew someone could look so beautiful as they slept.

And then he moved.

It was like a spasm attack, Aaron already sitting up as deep breaths escaped his mouth.

His chest rose so quickly that she panicked, feeling her own breath leave her body as she looked at him.

He was pale, all colour diffused out of his body as he let out a small cry of pain before he opened those eyes.

Those beautiful, beautiful, eyes.

They held pain - pain at it's worst before he tightly shut them again, a small hiss escaping his lips a moment later.

She wanted to cry.

All Rose could really do was gently push Aaron back until his head laid on her lap again, his body comfortably relaxed against the sofa.

But it seems as though the action has somehow hurt him ; a grunt escaping his lips as he gritted his teeth.

She didn't know what to do.

"Aaron?" She said quietly, fear laced in her voice as she looked at him. "where is the pain Aaron, where is it?"

Aaron seemed to shake his head, but he did it so slowly that she would've mistaken it for drowsiness, and then he exhaled.

Inhaled.

Exhaled.

Inhaled.

His eyes slowly started to open, widening at the sight of Rose when she met his blue gaze and then immediately sat up, alert on what was going on.

"Rose?" He asked, blue eyes still wide as he looked at her. "What are you still doing here?"

"Aaron, it doesn't matter anymore," Rose said, her hand reaching out to touch him but he moved away. "You fainted and I honestly cannot be bothered on anything else." Her voice was solid, no room for any objection as she said. "I'm taking care of this since you clearly aren't."

Aaron shook his head, which instantly made him grit his teeth. "You're suppose to be home now, it's late."

"I'm not leaving until you sleep a bit more," Rose argued, the fire in her brown eyes not dying down as she stared at Aaron.

Even Aaron seemed taken a back, looking at her weirdly as though he couldn't believe what he just saw.

She cared about him.

"Sleep Aaron," Rose said softly, her warm gaze back as she looked defeated. "Sleep."

And she didn't know whether it was her words or the pull of gravity, or perhaps even both, but she could feel her nerves untangle themselves when she felt his head again on her lap.

His eyes were still open though, mirroring the colour of the magnificent wallpaper of the room, holding this determination - as though he was fighting himself for this.

But as time passed, his vibrant cobalt eyes started vanishing from her vision. "I'm fine Rose," She didn't believe him. "I'm just-" He let out a small yawn as he rubbed his eyes. "a little bit tired."

Her hands met his hair; her delicate fingers stroking his scalp as a sigh escaped his lips.

A noise then liberated out of his mouth - like an in between moan and purr before his head fell flat against her lap.

Her heart was smiling.

✼✼✼

Over the next fifteen minutes, she discovered 5 new things about Aaron DeGarner.

(a) From the name tag that was attached to his chest, the middle name section was left empty. The only thing on the card was Aaron Blank DeGarner.

(b) His hair was the smoothest thing she has ever placed her hands on. It smelt like soap and cologne and felt like the world's fluffiest teddy bear.

(c) Aaron had a beautiful scent. Even though he was a sweating mess, he still smelt absolutely divine. He smelt of mint ; really fresh mint with a hint of lemon as he stirred on her lap. Her heart was still smiling.

(d) As he laid on her lap, she could see every single feature on his face more prominently. His cheek bones seemed as though they were carved by God himself; framing his face beautifully as he breathed in and out. She was smiling.

(e) Aaron DeGarner had the prettiest eyelashes she has ever laid her eyes on.

She was quietly observing the cafe from the back, finding it weird how busy this place was even though it was about 8:45 in the evening.

Her hands were stroking his head as her brown eyes took in her new surroundings.

And then, he stirred.

Her eyes snapped to him as he moved, a grunt followed by a sigh whizzed out of his lips as she quietly watched him.

Breathe, breathe, breathe.

His hand.

His hand.

His hand didn't stop moving ; roaming around in random areas (Like her legs, the side of the sofa and even her face), only making Rose more confused as she continued to observe him.

He let out a small sigh before he mumbled a few illiterate words and then touched her shoulder.

Her breath got clogged in her throat.

His fingers trailed down from her shoulder to her arm,

350 heartbeats, 400 heartbeats..

And then her free hand.

He interlaced their fingers, a small breath escaping her lips before he placed their entwined fingers on his chest.

She was gone.

A small smile tugged on his lips as he held her hand, pressing it closer to his chest.

Her heart was beating so fast that she was afraid it was going to explode.

And then he stayed still, his warm breaths tickling her knuckles while his touched electrified her.

She was afraid the pulse in her hand was going to wake him up.

And that was how they both lay; their fingers entwined on his chest before she too fell asleep on the sofa.

It was something so beautiful that she too wanted to experience it with closed eyes.

✼✼✼

She woke up about 5 minutes later, waltzing awake as she realised she wasn't home.

She then looked down at the beautiful boy on her lap, and remembered exactly what happened.

Her eyes fell onto their entwined fingers, and she stopped breathing.

It was like a sudden gush of happiness hit her square in the chest, knocking out any breath she was trying to keep, while tickling her body with joy, and warmth.

Warmth, warmth, warmth.

She then realised she needed to take care of this sick boy, and that she should probably miss school tomorrow.

Rose pushed the thought to the back of her head - if it must be done, then so be it.

Steve then jogged back, glancing at Rose before at Aaron. "You still here?"

She ignored him. "I need to get him home."

Steve looked hurt, almost ashamed as he whispered. "I have no idea where he lives."

Rose frowned, well what now?

She then tried searching whether he had his phone, her fingers tapping against his pocket only to find them empty and flat.

Any hope in her faded away, slipping through her fingers as she desperately tried to find his phone.

"You looking for something?" You don't say.

Rose instantly felt a pang of guilt hit her, giving Steve a small smile before she nodded her head.

She didn't know why she was being rather moody, and she was glad she didn't accidentally blurt it out.

It's just that having Aaron like this made an overwhelming feeling of responsibility heighten in her, and she felt the need to carry out exactly what she felt.

Because she cared about him.

"Yeah actually, have you seen his phone?" She asked Steve, her desperate gaze meeting his green one before she watched him move to the table and then grab a black phone, offering her a small smile as he handed it to her.

"Alright, I'll just go clean up and then lock this place out," Steve told her. "So you think you'll have everything sorted by then?"

I hope.

But what escaped her mouth was a firm. "Yes."

Steve nodded his head before he left Rose again, and she slowly breathed out.

She didn't even call her parents yet, and she just hoped her Dad was keeping Helen at ease.

Her trembling fingers then started working on his phone, opening his contact list to see whether there was anyone she knew.

She was praying, praying, praying.

She felt so helpless but confident at the same time, and Rose would never understand how was that even possible, but right now she needed to call someone.

And then she saw that Aaron had only one number in his contact list:

Luke

She never thought she would be so happy to see his name flash across the screen, but Rose was exploding with relief.

She clicked on his name and then proceeded to call him, and she couldn't breathe, couldn't breathe, couldn't breathe-

"Hello?" Luke said on the other line, sounding rather groggy as though he just woke up. "Where the hell are you Aaron, it's already 9:30." Luke said, a rather loud yawn escaping his lips and tickling Rose's ear.

"Umm, Luke?" She didn't know how to do this.

"Well who the hell are you?" She could hear the slight worry in his tone, but his voice was firm, strong.

"Umm, it's Rose," She squeaked, feeling a lump throb in her throat. "I need some help."

Silence fell between the two lines, and she could hear shuffles on Luke's side before he said, in the most serious tone she ever heard Luke in. "I'll be there in 3 minutes."

Rose nodded her head. "Alright, we're at the back of the cafe."

Luke then hung up on her, leaving her all alone in her toxic thoughts.

She couldn't remember the last time she was this worried about something, or rather someone, but the dreadful feeling in her stomach was just as bad, if not worse.

As Luke promised, her barged in 3 minutes later, hazel eyes wide with worry as he looked at his friend.

Luke didn't even need Rose to tell him what to do, he took Aaron by both his arms before wrapping them around his back.

His hand left hers.

"Rose," She never saw Luke like this. "How long have you been with him?"

"Umm," She stammered, all of a sudden hot and flushed. "I guess 3 hours or so,"

Luke gave her a stiff nod, already moving towards the door as he told her. "Well come along now, it's too dangerous to go home alone, I'll drop you there myself."

Rose nodded her head, following Luke's lead as they exited the cafe (She even told Steve goodbye) and headed to Aaron's home.

It felt weird being alone with Luke like this, but it seemed as though nothing else mattered but putting Aaron on a comfortable bed.

Luke glanced at her every now and then, but other than that, she always saw his grip around the blue eyed boy tighten - as though he was trying not to freak out.

They finally reached his building; the place just as battered as it was the last time she came, and Luke opened up the door as they both went to the elevator.

As they waited in that box, Rose noticed the multiple beads of sweat that collected on Luke's temples, confusingly looking at him when she felt the chilly air wrap around her.

It wasn't hot, it was cold.

And when the elevator doors opened, Luke didn't waste a second to leave, marching towards Aaron's door as he quickly unlocked the door.

Luke was much more muscular than Aaron was, and she was grateful that he didn't find it as hard to carry the azure eyed boy, but she was also impressed on how he could work so fast.

Luke then limped Aaron into the apartment, quickly letting Rose in before he disappeared among one of the rooms. She presumed it was Aaron's bedroom because when Luke came back, the blue eyed boy was no longer hanging from his neck.

Luke seemed worried, almost tense when he came back out. He then ran a hand through his blonde hair, swallowing a small breath before he asked Rose. "How bad is he?"

She wanted to cry.

His voice quivered with fear, shaking with utmost concern as he whispered it out. He seemed so helpless, his hazel eyes glazed in this uncertainty and worried that it tangled all of Rose's nerves again.

She couldn't speak first, opening her mouth to let the words flow but they couldn't couldn't couldn't before she whispered. "He fainted Luke."

And that was all to break down every crumble of strength.

She watched as his chest hardened, exhaling out long, shaky breaths as Luke lowered himself onto the couch.

"He'll be alright," Rose re-assured, offering Luke a small smile as she patted his shoulder.

Luke looked at her, and she wanted to break, break, break before he said. "I know he will Rose, I know."

But somehow at the time, she wanted to re-assure him more.

Because she didn't believe him.

✼✼✼

"Hello Mom?" Rose said, her heart thumping in her chest as she pressed the phone closer to her ear.

"ROSE WHERE IN GOD'S NAME HAVE YOU BEEN?!" Her Mom shouted through the phone, making Luke jump from his seat. "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT TIME IS IT YOUNG LADY?! AND HOW WORRIED SICK I WAS?!"

Rose then let her Mom rant out to her through the phone. It was always the same thing every time:

"I am never letting you get any books again!"

"When I was your age I never did this! I was such a...."

"You will never understand until you become a mother yourself..."

"Mom," Rose interrupted, watching as a small smile illuminated Luke's face. "I'm sleeping over at a friend's tonight."

The other line went quiet, and Rose was actually worried that her Mom might've passed out until-

"SO YOU HAVE BEEN WITH YOUR FRIEND AND YOU DIDN'T THINK TO GIVE YOUR MOTHER A CALL?!"

Rose grimaced at how loud Helen was, giving Luke a look when he started chuckling before she told her Mom. "Something came up, umm, I kinda lost my phone."

And the silence that galloped the other side made Rose wonder whether her Mom really did pass out.

"Alright Rose, your Mother passed out, so I'm going to take it from here," Her Dad told her, and she could imagine the grin on his face. "Oh and have fun at your friend's tonight,"

"Thank you Dad, I love you." She wanted to laugh.

"Love you too sweetheart, and good night."

Rose nodded her head before she hung up, switching her phone off as she turned to look at Luke, who was probably a brink away from losing it.

"Now what's so funny?" Rose asked, giving him a look.

"Your Mom passed out,"

"And how in God's name is that funny?"

Luke laughed this time, not able to control himself anymore. "She passed out Rose, why are you making it sound like it's a regular thing?"

She shrugged. "Then why are you laughing at it when it's suppose to be something serious?"

"...."

"...."

"You're no fun,"

Rose grinned. "I'm anything but not fun Luke," Her eyes then flickered to the clock on the wall, seeing how it was a quarter to 11 before she got up and said. "I'll go check on Aaron,"

Luke stiffened again, before nodding his head. "Okay."

Rose then rushed to Aaron's room, feeling her heart clench when she saw the dark haired boy still as still as he was an hour ago.

She sat next to his lying figure, dampening his wash cloth again before putting it on his forehead.

She then started rubbing off the sweat that dripped down to his neck, raveling on how beautiful he was.

"You idiot," She whispered, warm eyes locked on his closed ones. "You had me worried."

She smooth out his hair and pushed it out of his eyes, letting out a little breath as she kept the wash cloth on his forehead again.

He was still so beautiful.

He looked so beautiful asleep ; his cobalt eyes concealed by his eyelids as soft breaths escaped his lips. She couldn't help but admire how flawless his skin seemed, as though glowing from within as he stirred.

His dark lashes contrasting greatly against his pale complexion, which only made him seem more like an angel than it did before.

Chest rising up and down, steady breaths filling the room, Rose was only expected to be thrilled, utterly mesmerised by the beauty he was emitting in an unconscious state.

So beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

She missed his eyes deeply, but she didn't want to disturb him.

She then heard Luke shut off the lights in the living room before he appeared on the door way of Aaron's room, leaning onto the door frame as he said. "It's 11:30 now Rose, go to bed."

No, no, no.

"What?" said Rose, confusion embedded in her tone.

"You'll be sleeping on the couch, and I'll be sleeping on the floor," Luke said, an almost ashamed expression on his face. "Normally I would give you the bed, and I'd sleep on the couch but..." His eyes trailed to Aaron, who was still as sound asleep as he was when they came.

"It's alright Luke," Rose gave him an encouraging smile. "I'll sleep here."

Luke then crossed his eyebrows, giving Rose a perplexed look before he said. "What do you mean here?"

"Someone needs to check him every now and then Luke," Rose sighed, tying her hair in a bun with the rubber band on her wrist. "and I am willing to do the effort."

Luke gave her a scowl. "You are crazy if you think I'm going to make your stay here uncomfortable."

Rose smiled. "You don't have to, I want to."

Luke seemed shocked at her response, his hazel eyes slightly wide as his lips parted.

But she meant every word she said.

"I'll leave you to it then," Luke mumbled. "but if you change your mind-"

"I won't."

He sighed. "Alright then, if you insist."

Luke then walked out of the room, slower than he usually does which made Rose's heart twitch.

She knew that even if Luke cursed at Aaron with the filthiest words this world could bear, and even if he throws a few punches at Aaron, he would still care.

He might not know, or probably didn't notice, but he has been tense the entire day Aaron was gone.

She could hear Luke heaving a sigh as he walked away, her heart tickling in her chest on how concerned he was being.

She then turned her attention to the blue eyed boy, his chest as steady as it was a few moments ago.

His room was nothing like she has expected though; she thought there would be stacks of books everywhere, messily laying around his room. She pictured his room overflowing with words, one in every corner of his room as he read.

But his room was bland, almost empty with only a bed and a small closet. The night stand that was right next to his bed had a broken leg, and was limping on one side.

But she could imagine Aaron living here, doing his work on his bed while he spent time in this room.

Even though it wasn't as Rose thought his room would be, it still fit Aaron.

And with the thoughts of Aaron swarming her mind, she finally fell asleep.

✼✼✼

The slight movement from Aaron jolted her awake, her eyes already alert as all the sleepiness vanished from them.

She woke up several times during the night; checking his temperature, or dampening his cloth again, Rose somehow always seemed to be awake.

She thought she roughly got an hour of sleep, but it all didn't matter because Aaron was moving - and he seemed to be in pain.

"Aaron?" She said, her voice full of sleep as she felt her heart scratch her chest. "you alright there?"

Aaron couldn't stop moving, gently thrashing his arms and legs, as though he was running away or towards something.

Sweat accumulated on his shirt and forehead, dripping down to his chin.

And then, the noises started.

Whimpers escaped his lips, a pain expression fastened on his face as he exhaled. He looked like he wanted to cry.

Then grunts started echoing from his mouth, and Rose had no idea what to do.

Was he having a nightmare?

"James," Aaron whispered so quietly and so full of defeat that Rose wanted to cry, cry, cry.

Rose's heart tightened in her chest, sobbing violently as it screamed for Rose to wake him up, to comfort him-

to touch him.

Tears burned the back of her eyes as she continued to watch him to thrash and kick, chest tight with pain as he shut his eyes tightly; Adam's apple bobbling up and down as slow, rapid breaths filled the room.

Do something now.

His body started jerking.

Do it NOW Rose.

"Aaron," She said, her voice clogged with panic as she shook him. "Aaron," She was trying not to panic.

And then he let out a cry.

A small, quiet lament of pain, misery, and loneliness all bundled in one sound.

And the tears couldn't be controlled any longer.

They started rolling down her cheeks, like big boulders rolling down a mountain as they attacked her neck with moisture.

"Aaron," She was pleading now, doing anything and everything she could to wake him up.

She couldn't breathe, couldn't breathe, couldn't breathe.

Her lungs were long forgotten the moment Aaron started whimpering, and it was only now that she realised how much air she needed.

And she inhaled. Exhaled. Inhaled.

Aaron's eyes then flew open, a sharp intake of air inhaled as he suddenly sat up; his cobalt eyes trying to adjust to the dim light of the room.

Rose lit a candle on the bed side table - she thought the light would wake him, and she did manage to read a few more chapter of Great Expectations as he slept, but she didn't think it was something weird.

His eyes glowed in the dark; the yellow flame of the candle bringing out just how blue his eyes really were; seas of turquoise, cobalt and emerald swirled into 2 irises as he looked around.

His breathing was still heavy, but when he looked at her, it completely stopped.

He looked at her, his eyes were wide with surprise as he stared at her. It was as though he was looking at her all of again, inspecting her every feature when he was just stuck in this trance of sickness.

Or so she hoped.

She ducked her head in embarrassment, a flush of pink patting her cheeks as she noticed this.

And then he shook his head.

"No," He muttered to himself, exhaling an unstable breath. "this has to be a dream." He said, gritting his teeth as he shook his head.

"Aaron," She said quietly. "are you alright?"

He then looked to her again, lips slightly parted as he stared again.

Breathe, breathe, breathe.

"Rose?" He whispered, perplexed blue orbs staring right at her. "What are you doing here?"

"Aaron it doesn't matter just go to sleep-"

"What time is it?" Aaron asked, rubbing his temples with the pad of his palm, shutting his eyes as he exhaled.

He did it so quickly that she thought he didn't want her to see.

She looked at the clock on the night stand. "3 am," She said casually, while Aaron's eyes widened to saucepans.

"Then what are you doing here?" He told her, surprise still attached to his tone as he asked her. "It's too late for you to still be here," But then he said. "Wait how did you even get here, or even how did I get here-"

"Shh," Rose said, placing a finger against his lips. "Luke's sleeping."

This is the closest she has ever been with him and she couldn't breathe, couldn't breathe, couldn't breathe.

Aaron then eyed her weirdly, glancing at her before he frowned. "Why are you crying?"

Oh right.

Rose then quickly wiped away her stray tears, her cheeks flaming under his intense gaze before she said. "Sorry, it's just that I was reading a sad part in Great Expectations," She lied.

She didn't want to tell him, because it seemed like something too private and sacred for her to even know, but perhaps when the time is right, she can bring it up.

But just not now.

"Sorry," She apologised sheepishly. "didn't mean to make you worry."

And then, his eyes.

They glimmered in the dim light, becoming crystalline right under her stare ; the blue in them transforming to this glorious sapphire shade as they twinkled with sincerity.

It sucked the breath right out of her.

He then tore his beautiful gaze away from her, settling it just beside her, and then-

❝We need never be ashamed of our tears.❞

She completely shattered.

She stared at him, her own lips now parted as she tried to comprehend what he just said.

No, no, no.

He then smiled a sleepy smile, one that was bright enough to compensate for the dimness of the room before he said. "Did you reach that part yet?"

She wanted to explode, explode, explode.

She nodded her head but she couldn't feel it; all she could focus on was the beautiful boy right in front of her. "Yeah, I did."

Her heart was fangirling.

Aaron them hummed as he closed his eyes, a small smile still adorning his lips. "Well did you cry?"

She wanted to cry now.

"Yeah," She really sucked at trying to hide her shock.

He peeked at her through one eye, and she swore her heart was going to lose its own sanity on how playful he looked. "I was kind of expecting you to."

I wasn't expecting you to do this to me.

She shrugged. "Your assumptions always seem to be correct."

There was just something about his eyes in the night glow that she couldn't put her finger on, but whatever it was; whether it was the amount of pressure in the air or some other physical reason, it made his eyes look absolutely magnificent.

"Oh and I got your sweater back," Rose said, her warm eyes flickering towards the black sweater hanging on the door knob where Luke told her to hang it. And when confusion swirled in his eyes, Rose added. "Remember when I got milk shake all over myself?"

And that seemed to ring the bell, his blue orbs becoming seemingly dark as both of them recollected the memory.

But it only took a second before his eyes were back to normal, a subtle blue colour as he looked at her.

And he was looking at her as though he was a scientist, and the entire universe was right before his eyes.

"Why are you looking at me as though I'm an angel who just fell from Heaven on my butt?" Rose joked, a small laugh vibrating her chest in humor as she looked at him.

He smiled. "That's because you are," His eyes, his eyes, his eyes. "You are."

She was gone.

He smiled at her. Dimples. And then veiled his glorious eyes with his eyelids before he said quietly. "We'll talk in the morning Rose, and I am going to yell on how ridiculous you are for staying here with me, but this headache is killing me."

She nodded her head. "Alright." She still couldn't breathe.

He looked like he was smiling.

And then he dozed off as quickly as she exhaled a breath.

Author's Note:

Hey loves! So YAY I UPDATED! >.<

So this chapter was so lovely to write, and is it bad that I might have fallen in love with Aaron?

Oh well.

Vote - I fell in love with the way you voted, slowly and then all at once.

Comment - That's the thing about euphoria, it demands to be felt.

Share - Everything is unstable to Nadia.

So this chapter is dedicated to ws1_forgiveus for being such a bombshell and commenting sweet things in the last chapter! I'm glad you like this book sweetie, and your support means the entire world to me! <3 :D xoxo

And as usual, more dedications are on the way. All you need to do is grab me attention and BAM! dedication. ;)

PS - I am a sucker for long comments, so yeah. :)

And thank you all for the amazing support on this book, it means a lot to me that you guys support me and this book - it seriously makes me want to hug each and every single one of you. :*

PPS - Vote for Aaron *_*

So that's all for now loves, hope you all enjoyed this update, and until next time.

I love you beautiful, remember that. :)

-Nadia <3 :D xoxo

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

26K 2K 60
you once asked why i never felt good enough to love you, this is why All rights reserved ©️2018 immortalitatis- cover by the lovely @hurtcopain
350 48 12
Every truth is not bitter ,some truth are as sweet as honey and suger , my one is one of them and that is "I LOVE YOU " . It can be called a bitter l...
32.2K 901 15
this is collection of one shot. enjoy English isn't my first language. i am sorry if there is any mistake
35 0 8
Some things you just can't avoid, like falling in love. As much as you try to avoid, or search for it, it always seems to find you, or elude you. It...