The Internal Devices

De astra276

"You're a good friend, Hermione." She narrowed her eyes at him. "So we're on a first-name basis now?" He shru... Mais

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Epilogue

Chapter 16

602 15 0
De astra276

Draco slammed the door so violently it shook the furniture in the boys' shared room, but Theo didn't bother looking up. He was used to Draco's foul moods and was actually expecting it today.

"That bad, was it?"

Draco hissed in frustration and tossed his book onto his desk. Theo's eyes flicked up in amusement as his friend ran a hand through his hair and collapsed dramatically onto the floor. Somehow, his aristocratic upbringing managed to make the movement appear graceful. Draco sighed.

"I feel awful. Why do I feel so awful?"

"Well, I told you apologizing is usually a rather fretful experience," Theo interjected helpfully.

"Gods, Theo, it was more than bloody fretful! I felt as if I would vomit! And that's not even the worst part!"

Theo finally looked over his friend in concern. He really wasn't sure how Hermione would react to the apology he and Draco had planned, but he had been certain she would be kind to him either way. Now he was second-guessing himself. This was a conversation long overdue for Hermione and Draco, but perhaps he had rushed things. He settled for a mild, "Oh?"

Draco slung an arm across his face, hiding Theo from view. He mumbled something incoherent, and even though Theo leaned forward, he couldn't make it out.

"Come again?"

Draco wrenched his arm away from his face and turned toward where Theo was perched. He looked wretched.

"I started leaking."

Theo blinked once, then twice. His confusion must have been apparent because Draco began gesturing flippantly around the ocular region of his face. Theo burst into laughter as he finally understood. Gasping for air, he managed, "The worst part of the entire experience, the part that has put you into such a state, is that you cried?"

"I cried," Malfoy grumbled in agreement. He shot Theo a venomous glare, but its effect was lost with a quirk of his lip. Theo gripped his side and fought for control over the laughter. He had to be careful about heavy laughter most days, as it often sent him into a round of coughing. Thankfully, he had come up with a better system for his potions recently, and it felt good to laugh and feel so normal. He smiled and waved for Draco to come over. Begrudgingly, the sullen boy did, dropping onto Theo's bed.

"I know it might seem terrible to you, but it's actually not a bad thing to be vulnerable with people. Did she respond well?"

Malfoy considered for a moment before replying. "I suppose so. She said she appreciated what I said. It was me who felt so terrible. Not only was apologizing painful but sitting there, without the occlumency as you suggested, left me feeling so bare. She was in a perfect position to hurt me. I hate that."

"But she didn't."

"No, I suppose she didn't."

Theo let the topic drop. He was satisfied for now; he knew Draco's mental shields would be up again tomorrow, strong as ever, but this moment was enough. He wasn't naive enough to think Draco's horrible coping mechanisms could be done away with in one day. It would take time.

Time. Something like pain shot through Theo's core at the thought. It was an idea he had always loathed because it was something he never seemed to have enough of. He didn't have enough time with his mother before she died. He didn't have enough time before he and Draco's carefree childhood friendship turned into one of survival in a brutal world. He didn't have enough time at Hogwarts, enjoying lessons, before all hell broke loose. And most of all, he didn't have enough time to do all the things he wanted to do before death inevitably caught up with him. He knew the clock was ticking and was running out of patience. Before the panic set in, Theo jumped up, startling Draco.

"Sorry, mate. Just a bit tired of being in the room all day. I think I'll go track down Hermione." Theo dug into the ornate chest beside his bed, avoiding eye contact. From the bottom, he pulled out a tastefully crafted cane. It was beechwood with a heart of resin, perfectly balanced, tipped in silver. The top edge wound into a serpent and was pressed with the Nott Family Crest. The piece was lovely, but a small part of him loathed to use it. Theo shoved that small part of him down and straightened, cane in hand.

Draco peered at him suspiciously. "You haven't used that since this summer."

"Well, we don't want him getting lonely in the bottom of my trunk, now do we? I reckon it's time I take him for a spin." Theo quickly pulled on a jumper before heading towards the door.

"Theo–" Draco pleaded, but Theo shot his friend a winning smile. "Don't worry, Draco. I'm fine. See you later tonight."

He managed to make his gait confident as he strode out of the dorm, and didn't slow as he passed through the common room entrance. It was only when he reached the next floor that he slowed his pace and leaned against the wall to catch his breath.

"You really should be more careful about your health," a pesky portrait commented. He didn't know the knight's name, was it Cadahall? Canahan? Cadahan? Theo didn't really care. The portrait always got into his business at the worst moments.

"Oh, sod off." The knight galloped away in offense, and Theo chuckled at the touchy little guy. Unfortunately, the chuckling brought a sharp pain in his lungs. He doubled over, grasping at his cane to keep him from collapsing. The coughs were always the worst part. With each breath, he felt as if he were being sliced open from the inside, and then the blood draining out his mouth seemed to confirm it. At the last second, he managed to catch the flying blood with a sleeve. The moment passed, and the pain subsided. He glanced around the hall to make sure no one had seen and quickly cast a cleaning spell. The extra magic drained him, but it was worth it.

He took a few deep breaths and rummaged in his trouser pockets. His hand wrapped around a small vial and he downed it without a thought. After a few seconds, strength poured back into him, and he pulled out another, differently colored vial. That too helped, settling the tension in his chest. Satisfied, he vanished the vials and continued his path up to his classroom. Hopefully, his brilliant witch would be waiting for him there.

Theo had a set quota of potions, sent from St Mungo's. Each one was meticulously labeled with the potion name and date in which to be consumed. Lately, Theo had been double-dosing. He was cautious at first, but when he suffered no significant side effects other than renewed strength and fewer attacks, he continued. He wondered why he had never tried this before and was overjoyed that it gave him more time each day with both Draco and Hermione. And when he appeared in better health, both of them worried less. It was a perfect setup. Every few days, he would take three or four of the allotted potions. As long as they continued to help, what was the harm? The only issue was the dwindling supply. Soon, he would need to find more of the potions or he would be in trouble.

Finally, he made it to the classroom door and pushed it open. As his hand reached eye level, Theo squinted in confusion. His fingernails appeared a faint bluish hue; it was strange, and he wondered if he had somehow dyed them in potions class. He shrugged and continued through the doorway. There, by the window, was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. For a moment he simply stood, taking her in. She didn't even have a clue how stunning she was.

His foot shifted and she turned quickly, grinning at him. "Hello, Theo."

He gave her a shy smile of his own. "Are you just going to stand there?" She giggled and ran up to him, wrapping him in a hug. Her warmth dazzled him, and for an instant everything else faded away. He rested his chin atop her fluffy curls and sighed. "Hermione?"

She looked up at him in question. He loved the way her nose crinkled and how wide her lovely brown eyes were. He smiled again. "I don't think I've formally asked you."

"Asked me what, Theo?"

He cleared his throat. This was it. "I don't think I've formally asked if you would like to...if you would like to be with me. Not just right now I mean, obviously I don't need to ask about that, I just mean, erm..."

She laughed and tugged him closer, leaning her face against his chest. "To be your girlfriend?"

Theo chuckled at his fumbling. Draco would have had flawless execution. He had always been smoother than Theo was. "Yes," he whispered, "to be my girlfriend. Would you like that?"

Theo was almost afraid she wouldn't answer, that this was the time she would truly reject him. Perhaps he had misunderstood their conversation before when she said she would have him as 'more than friends'. Maybe she did not want to be bound to him in any definite way...and truth be told, he couldn't blame her if she didn't. He was little more than an incurable disease.

"Yes." He leaned back to see her face clearly.

"What?" He breathed. Hermione chuckled and met his eyes. "I said yes," she smiled, "I would like that very much."

He blinked at her in wonder, and gently cupped her chin, running a thumb over her cheek. She was so soft, so delicate. If anything could cure him, it was this feeling bubbling inside him. She was hope in a world that often felt so dark, and a promise in a life that held none for him. A melody sang in the back of his mind, but he pushed it aside for the time being.

"Hermione."

"Yes, Theo?" She teased.

"I'm going to kiss you." Before she could respond, he brought his lips to hers, and he felt a small gasp escape from her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and tangled her fingers in his hair. A soft moan fell from his mouth and he tugged her closer. Theo tentatively ran his hands down her hips. She was perfect, so perfect.

The kiss was slow, and deliberate, as they explored the feel of each other. This thing was so new, and Theo didn't have any intention of rushing it. He wanted to do this correctly–he wanted to properly court her if she desired it. With a sigh, he drew back and smiled down at her. Her lips were still parted as she studied him. Hermione wrapped her arms around his torso once more, and he ran his hands down her back. He didn't know how long they stayed that way before parting ways for bed, and he didn't care. All he knew was this was the best night of his life.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

57.6K 1.5K 32
Hermione didn't know how to get over the war. She thought returning to Hogwarts would help but after a breakdown the most unlikely person helped her...
639 17 9
In his eyes I see fire, his gaze burning through me, thawing every ounce of sadness within me, turning it all into warmth. Warm like his hair, his fr...
26.5K 1.4K 200
your chats will be pending until lightningboy adds you as a friend 'i love you. i'll see you in another lifetime' ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ after gett...
25.8K 503 29
Hermione and Draco has been childhood friends, but when Lucius, Draco's father,erased Hermione and Draco memory and make her thinks that she's a Mudb...