Bedelth the Orange (Dragonwal...

Par addicted2dragons

It's time to reclaim Fort Squall. Claire knew this day would come, but she's not prepared for the mental toll... Plus

Title Page
Map
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Indecision
Chapter 2 - A Furtive Journey
Chapter 3 - Confronting Talon
Chapter 4 - The Rules Change
Chapter 5 - Smart Decisions
Chapter 6 - Facing a Storm
Chapter 7 - Ceremony Plans
Chapter 8 - Arriving in Squall's End
Chapter 9 - Dining with Lord Rhal
Chapter 10 - Flying Into Battle
Chapter 11 - Flying With Taylynn
Chapter 12 - A Good Queen
Chapter 14 - Truthful Admissions
Chapter 15 - Preparing to Depart
Chapter 16 - A Pair of Gloves
Chapter 17 - Friendly Confessions
Chapter 18 - Taking a Walk
Chapter 19 - Notna Bay
Chapter 20 - Fledgling Flight
Chapter 21 - Washing Away Memories
Chapter 22 - A Little Black Bat
Chapter 23 - A Close Call
Chapter 24 - His Parents' Arrival
Chapter 25 - Settling In
Chapter 26 - A Family Unbreakable
Chapter 27 - Lost in a Kiss
Chapter 28 - A Rooftop Party
Chapter 29 - Sealed With A Kiss
Chapter 30 - Forevermore
Chapter 31 - A Coveted Woman
Chapter 32 - Hard Truths
Chapter 33 - A Parallel Path
Chapter 34 - Clearing the Air
Chapter 35 - An Equal
Chapter 36 - Preparing the Ward
Chapter 37 - Flying Into Battle
Chapter 38 - Claire's Magic
Chapter 39 - Battle At The Walls
Chapter 40 - An Elaborate Distraction
Chapter 41 - A Trade
Chapter 42 - A Plan
Chapter 43 - Unconditional Love

Chapter 13 - Reunion

13.6K 1.3K 132
Par addicted2dragons

Squall's End

Mikkin followed Jamie into Squall's End, both Berbik and Unka on their heels. The tunnel beneath the portcullis plunged them into brief darkness before spilling out into a large courtyard. It was a rush of activity as city guards darted about. The smell of dirty, cramped bodies hit him seconds later.

"...she was there on the walls. I saw 'er. I did," came a child's voice, nearby. Mikkin glanced over. He caught sight of a band of dirtied children, huddled. His chest tightened, but he didn't glance away. "A real Sprite, I tell you. All of 'em. They was all in armor that shined like stars, with marks that glowed. Then the dragon fire came down, big plumes of orange. She lifted her arms, this queen"—the little boy mimicked the motion—"and an invisible bubble swallowed it right up. She saved us."

Another child snorted, a young girl. "Naw she didn't. The king saved us. His Shields flew with him. I saw 'em overhead." Mikken had slowed his pace, stopping to observe the exchange.

"No you didn't!" another scoffed. "You only heard rumors, and no you's repeating it like truths..."

Mikkin's mouth twitched into a smile. He turned, hurrying forward to catch up with Jamie and the others. Everywhere he looked, tents were crammed against more tents. A refugee camp, for all those who had fled their towns and villages in the north, in hopes of avoiding the chaos that swept Vestur's territory.

Jamie made the realization about the same time he did. The lad stopped, spinning in place, taking it all in. "How the hell am I supposed to find my parents here, in this mess?" he muttered, his expression falling.

Mikkin put a hand on Jamie's shoulder. "We'll figure it out, lad."

Around them, they'd begun to attract attention. Well, not him, nor Jamie, but Berbik and Unka, certainly. Eyes pinned on them, faces curious, some wary, others afraid. He caught sight of a middle aged woman, rushing by with a basket of supplies. "You there, miss!" She stopped, looking over her shoulder, a downward twist to her mouth. "We're looking for a group of people from the north, refugees."

"We're all refugees here," she said with a snort before taking a wary step away from them. Mikkin produced a coin and held it forward. She rolled her eyes and did not take it. "Your money can't do much in a city that ain't got food."

Jamie jumped into action, pulling a cloth bundle from his pack of rations. "Please," he said, holding it out. "It would be a small group from the far north. From Landow, south of Belnesse."

The woman eyed Jamie's offering, then snatched it from him, depositing it into her basket. "I ain't heard naught—most of us is from the north. Can't expect us to remember names at this point. But the city guards has a manifest, documenting all that come through. My name's in it. Reckon those you're searching for are, too. You'd need to check with the gate guards."

Jamies shoulders rose and fell, and a relieved sigh broke free. He nodded, shouldering his pack again. He thanked the woman and turned. "Right, then. I guess we can check with the guards at the gates."

Mikkin nodded. They turned back towards the way they'd come. Mikkin caught a flash of gold in his periphery. He spun. Now, that was a head of hair he'd recognize anywhere. It was burned into his memory since the day they'd first met. "Lord Reyr!" he called. The hulking Drengr was strolling towards a group of guards, but froze, then spun on his heel. His searching gaze landed on Mikkin, then the others, and he nodded in recognition.

There was something haunted dwelling deep in Reyr's eyes. He strode over. "Mikkin. Good to see you." He reached forward and grasped Mikkin's forearm, giving him a warm greeting, nodding at the others. "Didn't expect to see any of you here—"

"We're looking for my parents—my village," Jamie blurted.

Reyr's brows pulled together. "They're here? I thought..."

"We don't know for certain," Mikkin cut in, trying not to dash the lad's hopes before they got answers. "A while back, we saw smoke over Landow. We were hopping that perhaps Tynen got some of their people out. Right, lad?" He glanced over at Jamie, who nodded, throat bobbing.

"Of course," Reyr said. "Tynen seemed like the knowledgable sort, and practical, too." The King's Shield had been in Landow once, when they'd first met, investigating what might have happened in Belnesse. He'd met Jamie's parents and some of the other town's folk.

"A woman said there might be a manifest," Berbik added, his eyes flicking towards the city guardhouse near the portcullis.

"Yes. I do believe so. Most cities keep track of those who pass through, for legal reasons and such. Let's go and see, shall we?" Reyr offered Jamie a reassuring smile, placing a hand on the lad's shoulder, steering him across the courtyard.

Every pair of eyes that fell on Reyr's hulking form widened. Polite bows followed. The Shields were as close to royalty as one could be, excusing the king and king's kin.

"You've come a long way since I last visited Landow," he could hear Reyr saying to Jamie, distracting him, no doubt, from nerves. There hadn't been much time to catch up with the Shield after they'd arrived at camp. Too many preparations, but they'd greeted each other a few times in passing, during meetings and such.

"I...yes, my lord. It's been quite the adventure." Jamie's eyes darted over his shoulder, hitting Mikkin before bouncing away.

"Call me Reyr, please. No need for formalities. I've never been one for them."

"Right. Reyr."

"It was no easy feat, convincing the Dwargs to side with King Talon. I'm still impressed you managed it," Reyr continued, speaking to Jamie in a low voice.

"Oh..." Jamie trailed off, but his shoulders straightened slightly. "Yes, well, they were smart to heed our words."

Mikkin hid his small smile. Reyr had a way of making Jamie feel more comfortable in his presence. He supposed most of the king's closest were skilled tacticians as well as warriors. Always knew the perfect thing to say in each situation.

"There now, here we are." Reyr came to a stop. The guards outside the guardhouse jumped to attention. "At ease, gentlemen," Reyr commanded. "We're looking for a manifest, documentation on the refugees. I assume you've been keeping track of all those who enter the city?" His words rang with authority. It would have taken Mikkin and Jamie twice as long to get what they needed, but with a King's Shield...well, this was fortuitous.

"The captain keeps a log book, documenting everyone," one of the guards piped up.

"Good, show me." The five of them were led into the guardhouse. Suspicious looks were thrown at Berbik and Unka. Unka merely regarded everyone as if he didn't see their expressions. Or, as if those hostile expressions didn't bother him.

Mikkin frowned. Did they? Was Unka simply good at hiding his reaction?

"Don't mind him, lads," Berbik said to a pair of guards that stood gaping at Unka, mouth's wide enough to catch flies. "The Gobelin's harmless enough."

"Never harmless, Master Dwarg," Unka said, turning to the guards and smiling. Both guards took a step back at the chilling sight of teeth on display.

"Unka," Mikkin warned. "No need to frighten them."

Unka merely shrugged and turned away.

Reyr stood with Jamie, the two of them scanning a log book that rested on a tall stand. It looked like an intake station. If he had to guess, each new city visitor checked in here before continuing on into the city. He took a moment to glance around the rest of the chamber. It was sparsely furnished, utilitarian. The stone walls created an oppressive feel, helped little by the small windows and dim lights from the candelabras. Off to one side, there were three desks, each occupied, by guards who sat gazing at them in curiosity. A plain, empty table sat in the middle, surrounded by six chairs. Not a place to linger, merely a means to an end for the guards who kept the city.

"I think we'll wait outside," Mikkin announced, giving Berbik and Unka a hard stare before leading them out. There wasn't enough air in there for all of them. They stood silent, just outside the door, observing the courtyard activity.

"Will you come to the capital with us, Master Mikkin?" Berbik asked him, when the silence grew tedious.

He hesitated, then said, "I suppose it depends on what we find here. It would be another adventure, to be sure."

Berbik nodded. "And you, Unka? The king's offer was generous."

"Unka accept," Unka said, his shoulders drawing back, his short, green head lifting higher. "This king offers jewels."

"And we all know how much you covet jewels," Mikkin muttered, chuckling. "Never mind the honored position itself."

Honored, indeed.

King Talon had offered Unka a unique opportunity, to act as emissary between Pavv and Dragonwall. It would be dangerous for the Gobelin, and he might be completely ostracized by his people, perhaps his family, too, but it would give Unka a position akin to a noblemen at court. He'd have fine lodgings within the capital's keep, if he wished it. There had never been an alliance between Dragonwall and Pavv. But perhaps by creating a new position, a Gobelin emissary might be the bridge that allowed both countries to traverse their treacherous past and travel beyond it.

"So long I live through job," Unka said, navigating the common tongue with his broken speech.

"I'm sure you will live through it just fine," Mikkin mused. "You're plenty capable of protecting yourself. And despite Pavv's ruthlessness, it honors a white flag the same as most countries."

"You so certain, Master Mikkin?" Unka lifted both eyebrows. A challenge.

"I suppose I'm not. Just hearsay."

"Gobelin people like killing. Unka has family protect."

"Will you bring them here, then?"

Unka snorted. "They never come."

"No?"

"Too different," Unka mused, his intelligent eyes dancing over the activity in the courtyard. "But...different-good, perhap."

"Perhaps," Mikkin corrected. He'd been helping the little urchin, much to his own surprise. Berbik had been, too.

"Perhaps," Unka repeated, and Berbik chuckled.

An excited cry interrupted them. Jamie strolled out a moment later, wide smile on his face. Reyr came out behind him, steering the lad with a hand on the shoulder. His eyes danced and he too smiled. "I think we found what we're looking for," Reyr said.

~

There came feminine shout, followed by a wave of sobs. Mikkin heard clear down the street. "Sounds like Jamie found them," he told Berbik, stepping back from the cluster of tents he was about to search through. They'd split up, Jamie with Reyr, while Mikkin kept with Berbik and Unka, searching the general area of tents where they believed Landow's refugees had set up camp in the city. It had taken some hours of inquiry, from section to section.

They strolled down the street and Mikkin hesitated, watching as Mary and Tynen came into view, wrapping themselves around Jamie. Mary sobbed hysterically enough that he couldn't make out much beyond, "thought you were dead."

He strolled up and Tynen broke away, turning to him. He clasped his shoulder and nodded. "You kept him safe. Thank you." Then Tynen's eyes darted to Berbik and Unka and he took a step back.

"No need to worry about them, they're harmless," Mikkin reassured Jamie's father.

"That...that's a Gobelin."

"Aye. And you needn't worry," he repeated.

Tynen looked as if he wanted argue, then shut his mouth and turned back to his son.

A deep throat cleared and Reyr said, "I don't know about the lot of you, but I haven't had a bite to eat all day. What say we head up to the lord's manor and have a some food? We can catch up over a meal, eh? I'm sure there's plenty to be shared."

Mikkin turned a thankful smile upon the Reyr, who knew exactly what was needed in a moment like this. "That...that would be most welcome, Lord Reyr," Tynen said, stepping forward.

"Just Reyr, will do," the Shield assured him, taking the man's forearm and shaking it.

Other villagers from Landow had come forward, and Jamie laughed and hugged each of them. It took several minutes before they could break away and make their way towards Lord Rahl's keep. Jamie kept close to his parents as they walked the city's streets. Reyr fell into step beside him, Berbik and Unka close on their heels, chatting amiably.

"Now that the lad's reunited with his family, what are your plans? Will you be heading for the capital with the Dwargs?"

Mikkin sighed. "To be honest, I hadn't thought that far ahead. I only ever wanted vengeance for my family. The dragons—?

"We slaughtered them," Reyr assured him, answering the question he hadn't quite posed.

Mikkin nodded, swallowing the hard lump in his throat. He'd known they had been successful after word had reached camp. But he hadn't seen it with his own eyes, and that left him more disappointed than he cared to admit. "I had hoped to kill one myself, but..."

"But your strength was better suited elsewhere, in negotiating with the Dwargs," Reyr stated. He managed a single nod. Reyr's voice softened. "That didn't make your contribution any less important. There are different forms of closure, Mikkin. Different forms of vengeance beyond the swing of a sword, or the scratch of a claw. While those forms might be more visible, they are no more powerful than the quieter acts. Acts that might be less noticeable, but just as impactful."

Mikkin faltered, struck by the powerful notion. Reyr's words meant a great deal.An ache built in his throat but he managed a humble, "Thank you."

When they reached the lord's keep, they were taken straight inside. Having a Shield present offered all sorts of perks. Every person in the keep was eager to please. Because there was so much activity taking place in the city, in the aftermath of the battle, the lord was out and about. They were taken to the cookery and settled at a large wooden table. The cook, also eager to please, jumped into action, whipping up a meal for them.

Mikkin half expected Reyr to rush off as soon as they ate. Surely the Shield had plenty more important matters at hand. But he didn't. He sat with them, listening to Jamie recount their adventures.

"So, you met the fort leader of Fort Edge, did you?" Reyr said, striking up a side conversation with Mikkin after Jamie had finished recounting the details around his rescue from Shadowkeep. Jamie continued on with his retelling, oblivious.

"Aye. Good man—Drengr," Mikkin said.

Reyr turned thoughtful, stroking his chin. "Good. That's good. Might come in handy—that. Having someone from our forts familiar with the bowels of Shadowkeep."

Mikkin snorted. "I'd hardly say familiar."

Reyr lifted a brow. "More familiar than anyone else in the king's circle."

"You plan to move against him, then? Are you thinking of sneaking into the fortress?"

"If it comes to that," Reyr mused. "It probably won't be that simple. But..." The Shield hesitated. "It might be a good idea to keep you close."

"You want me in the capital, then?"

Jamie's voice cut off, his head whipping in Mikkin's direction. "You...you're going to the capital?"

Mikkin shrugged. "Suppose it's as good a place as any to lay down new roots. I grew up on the outskirts of a large city. Could take some getting used to."

"But..." Jamie's mouth opened and closed. "I thought you might return to Landow with us."

"Son..." Tynen reached for his son's hand. "There isn't anything left. Landow's gone."

"But," Jamie's brows drew together. "We will rebuild."

"Aye." His father nodded. "But it will be a long time afore we get to where we were. Let the man choose his own path."

Mikkin exhaled, looking at Tynen and Mary. "You'll be heading back up north, then?"

"That's the plan, now that we're safe. Soon as possible, if we can manage. I don't think I can stand another day in this city. But..." Tynen's eyes softened, falling on Jamie. "Lad, you're a man grown now. You have been for a couple of years, much as I hate to admit it. You're free to make your own way. Your mother and I...we can manage. You aren't obligated to follow us home, if you'd like to spend your life on other...pursuits."

Indecision crossed Jamie's features. He leaned back, brow furrowed, regarding them. "But...I've only just found you."

"Aye. And a joyous relief that is. Whatever you decide, we will always be your parents. And you will always be welcome. We'd be glad to have your help rebuilding, but, we can certainly manage it without you. Hell, I built our home afore you were even born, boy."

Jamie's throat bobbed and his eyes darted towards Mikkin, who kept his expression neutral. Somehow, knew what Jamie was going to choose before the words were out of his mouth, but he didn't want to be responsible for influencing those words. "I...I've always wanted to see the king's great keep."

A small smile tugged at Reyr's lips but the Shield said nothing beyond, "You would be most welcome, if you decided to venture there."

"Yiss. Unka get whole chamber lodgings in Great Keep," Unka said, breaking the tense moment. "And jewels—from king."

Berbik snorted, disguising his laugh behind his hand. "What the Gobelin is trying to say is, he'll be there too, if you should decide to journey there with us, Master Jamie. A merry band we will make."

Jamie hesitated and then, "If Mikkin goes, I go."

Mikkin's throat thickened and he found it hard to swallow. Over the past several months, Jamie had become close to a son, or, what he pictured his own sons might have become in time. Sure, they were only separated by a decade, perhaps a little more. But it was clear that Jamie had grown attached to him.

"I'll be going, then," Mikkin decided to say, giving Reyr an affirmative nod.

"Excellent." Reyr's eyes glowed. "That's settled then. I'll make sure you have a place on the ships taking the Dwargs south, when it comes time to depart in a few days."

Mary reached out and grabbed her son's hands across the table, holding them in hers. She offered a warm smile. "I'm so proud of you, Jamie," she whispered.

"Well," Reyr came to his feet, glancing across the cookery. "A fine meal, Master Cook," then, looking back at them. "I've got much to see to in the city. Feel free to stay as long as you like, and find me if you need anything else. I'll be near the gatekeep."

With that, Reyr gave them all a final bow of his head and strode from the room.

⭐🌟 DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!🌟⭐

Hello Bookdragons!

Happy Friday! I hope you enjoyed this one. Mikkin and Jamie's adventures aren't over yet. And with Berbik and Unka, they make a fun team. I'm curious to see what kind of trouble they can get up to in the capital. I haven't fully fleshed out their next purpose in this story, but I'm looking forward to seeing where their journey takes them.

Next week's chapter takes us to Saffra, and let's just say she goes through a bit of ...maturing in this chapter, and begins to figure things out. I know she's been a little...frustrating. But, that gives her room to grow, too.

See you next week!

-Mel

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

5.6K 81 20
《Murderous Tsunami AU》 ~~Tsunami finally has the crown she deserves~~ Tsunami loves her friends, even though they always yammer on about the dragons...
83.4K 2.6K 31
Only the figure's eyes were visible, the rest hidden by a changewing cloak. Hiccup's jaw dropped as he realized. He knew those eyes. * The Dragon Rid...
15.3K 1.1K 42
Dive into a world full of magic and modernization. It's 2218 and magic has been a part of the world since the 5th century. With the rise of governmen...
4.5K 181 14
Available at my Ko-fi page only. Soon to be release in google books. Follow ko-fi.com/bellaxtina _______________________________ SYNOPSIS Imagine wa...