Chapter 39 - Battle At The Walls

Kastali Dun

Bedelth kept in close formation with his king. They flew towards the the mass of soldiers forming ranks near the beach. At least fifty thousand had made it to shore. They aligned into tidy formations, split into blocky grids, with spears and swords and shields at the ready. Flags flew, the banners waving in the wind.

Every marching step was done in unison. It was a well trained army. One that intended to claim their city. Thank the gods the ships had been destroyed, with their siege weapons.

Their own forces numbered half of what Oshea's did, standing at the ready outside the city's walls. They'd considered withdrawing their forces into the city, but it would have made for cramped quarters, and a prolonged siege. Everyone was eager to end this thing sooner rather than later.

Had there been more warning, they could have called troops from further away. They were at a disadvantage. A mere twenty five thousand mustered troops, with another two thousand city militia inside the city.

"There are sorcerers in their ranks," Reyr warned, not a moment too soon. A plume of shimmering air shot skyward then spread. More columns of shimmering air shot upwards, then spread like mushroom tops, joined together, and blanketed the soldiers.

"It's some sort of shield," Verath observed.

"I thought we'd killed them all," Koldis muttered. "Wasn't that the purpose of destroying their ships and risking Claire?"

"They snuck some ashore," Jovari observed.

"Let's see what we're up against," Talon commanded, suppressed rage dripping from his tone.

Bedelth roared in answer, following his king as they dove towards the enemy soldiers. Their bodies were met with a solid wall, a shield. The impact jarred his bones, sending pain shooting through him. He roared again in anger, the sound echoed by his brothers. Most of their wings were picking off the few remaining ships Claire had failed to destroy. Talon had ordered three additional wings to flank them. They all met the same barrier.

They tried again and again to get through, battering at the invisible wall with their claws.

"We'll have to do this the simpler way," Reyr announced, spotting the front lines, the empty gap where the Osheans approached Dragonwall's army. "Who is up for a little swordplay?" Reyr's question was sent to every Drengr in the area.

Challenging, eager roars split the air. The king's wing soared off towards the front lines, followed by their flanking wings. Bedelth braced himself, diving. Dragonwall's soldiers rallied when they saw their king approach, shouting and cheering. They landed on two feat, completing their shifts midair.

Talon quickly issued orders to the flanking wings turned human, spreading them along various parts of their armies. He gave additional orders to his Shields, forming them into pairs. Jovari and Koldis to split away, moving farther down the lines. Bedelth and Verath teamed up, taking over another unit of soldiers, placing themselves on the front lines. Talon kept Reyr beside him, taking the central force.

"Our enemies think they can take our homes," Talon roared, his voice booming over their legions of soldiers. "They think they can claim what is ours."

Angry voices lifted in response.

"We will not let them!" Talon roared. "We protect what is ours!" The king hefted his Sveark, the challenge obvious. Behind him, rows and rows of soldiers did the same, crying out in unison. "For Dragonwall!" The cry was echoed down the lines as Talon surged forward, soldiers at his back.