Hot as Hall

By authornicoleknight

Firefighter Tanner Hall is used to running into burning buildings and risking his life to save others. It's j... More

Season List of Station 22
Welcome!
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
On the next season of Station 22...

Chapter Twenty Six

4.3K 230 7
By authornicoleknight

You really can't make bullshit like this up.

Under regular circumstances, a man could enjoy two women edging each other out in a bidding war to win a date with him. But not in these circumstances. Not when one woman is constantly trying out new ways to ruin your life. Not when one woman is my ex-wife, and the other is my current girlfriend.

Once the auction is over, a few donors want to stop and chat, but I can't get out of this place and away from the noise fast enough.

"Well, I guess you can't win 'em all..." Zoe shoots me a sweet smile, shrugging her shoulders as I get back to the table. She's being a good sport about the entire thing, but I can tell something is off.

Of course, it is. After Gwen's performance tonight, I don't blame Zoe for being one bit guarded. I think on the scale of nightmare exes, this might take the cake.

"Well, the joke's on her," Brooks chimes in. "You're the one he's with in real life, and she just spent five thousand dollars on a hypothetical date with the guy she walked out on years ago."

"Yeah, just let her throw her money around. She'll get bored and leave, eventually." Riggs slaps me on the back.

They're trying to help but, somehow, their words aren't all that comforting.

"Let's not let it ruin the night." Zoe puts her hand to my cheek. "You were great out there. You all were. That was way more fun than I expected."

"I'll admit, it wasn't as bad as it's been in the past. Who's up for some shots on the roof? I'm buying!" Brooks and his girlfriend lead the group to the elevators, ready for the second half of their night.

Riggs rolls his eyes. "Shots on the roof? That sounds safe. I've got the babysitter until eleven, though, so count me in."

"We'll meet you up there, too." Coop says.

"What do you think?" I tuck a piece of hair behind Zoe's ear, my thumb brushing across her cheek. "We can go join them, or we can get out of here and see how fast I can make you forget about all the bullshit tonight?"

"You tell me." She smiles. "This is your night."

A cool as it is to see Zoe getting along so well with my friends, I've got other plans tonight and all I can think about is getting her out of here. Gwen's antics aren't my fault, but I'm looking forward to making it up to her. "Well, I know what I want to do..."

"Oh good, because that's what I want to do, too." A smile settles on Zoe's lips.

That's all the confirmation I need, and I take her hand, stepping into a separate elevator from the group. It's been fun, but my sights are set elsewhere. As we wait for the valet to bring my truck around, I hear a familiar laugh behind me and I immediately know it's Gwen.

Jesus Christ. Does she ever quit? If I didn't know her as well as I do, I'd think she was actually trying to make an effort here, but it's just about the chase.

"Tanner! There you are." She purses her lips, positioning herself right in front of Zoe and I. "Were you trying to sneak away without talking to me?"

"Nope." I growl. "But now that you mention it, I have heard about all I want from you tonight. Don't you have a future ex boyfriend to track down?"

"Oh, don't be mean. I paid good money to spend some time with you and I intend on cashing in on that." Gwen twists a strand of hair in her fingers, eyes set on me. The sway of her hips is a clear indicator that she's drunk, and the only thing I hate more than being around Gwen in general is being around her when she's had too much to drink.

"You do realize this whole thing is a joke, right? There are plenty of donors in there. Why don't you go pick one of them?"

Gwen clicks her tongue, setting her hand on my bicep. "Well, I take it very seriously. And, in fact, I want the time that I paid for right now."

"You really must be crazy if you think that's happening." I spit. Zoe shifts her weight next to me, obviously uncomfortable with the way things are imploding, and I need to do something fast. I really am falling in love with Zoe, and nothing can stand in the way of that. Especially not my vindictive ex-wife.

"Come on, Tanner. Don't you think we can put our differences aside for one night? For the boys?"

For the boys? What the fuck is she even talking about? "It's the middle of the night and the boys are at my parents' house."

"I know that." She lets out a heavy breath. "Look, in all seriousness, I'm not trying to screw things up for you. I'm going to be leaving in a few days and I thought maybe you and I could talk about how we want to handle that tonight, and then tell them over breakfast in the morning. I think I need to tell them as soon as possible."

Shoving my fingers through my hair, I let out a sharp laugh. This really is rich. Of all the times for her to decide she wants to be responsible, this has to take the cake. I want to believe she has good intentions, but I know her too well for that. She knows she has me in a corner now, but I'm tired of playing to her terms. She can compromise for once.

"Then I can pick you up in the morning for coffee before we tell them." I stand my ground. "Zoe and I have plans tonight."

"Tanner..." Zoe's face falls as she pulls me to the side. "I really don't mind. I'm kind of tired anyway, and she's right. You guys need to be on the same page for the boys."

"And we will be, but this is completely unnecessary tonight. If you're tired, then let's just go home and go to bed. I don't mind that at all. I just don't want to..."

"I just feel like I need a little time on my own tonight. You should go with her." Zoe's voice breaks as she cuts me off. Where the hell is this coming from? A few minutes ago, we were both stir-crazy to get out of here and have a few minutes alone, and now it feels like she can't get away from me fast enough. The shift is unnerving, but I know somehow Gwen is responsible.

"Zoe, really, this is just her playing games. She knows she can use the boys to play to my emotions, and it's all a front."

"Maybe." She presses her lips into a thin line, tears welling in her eyes as her breathing shallows. "But what if she's not? I don't want to stand in the way of anything between you and your family, Tanner. I can't do that again." She shakes her head.

Again? I'm completely lost as Zoe spirals, and as hard as I try to stop her, the worse it gets. I can tell how upset she is, and all I want to do is fix it, but I don't know how. "Zoe, what do you mean? You're not standing in the way of anything."

"Just go take care of what you need to with your family, and we can talk tomorrow, okay?" Zoe swallows, blinking back tears. "I promise, I'm okay. I just want to be alone. I'll call you in the morning."

She gives me a quick kiss before slipping out the front door and into a crowd without another word. For a second, I'm so caught off guard I don't even move, but eventually, I rush out after her. The front of the hotel is swarming with people and it's nearly impossible to find her in the crowd. Finally, I catch a glimpse of her right as she ducks into a cab and disappears into the night.

"Fuck!" I hiss, pacing back and forth. It feels like I'm watching a train wreck—Gwen barreling into yet another thing I love to reek absolute havoc. When will it ever be enough? How long do I have to keep letting her do this for the sake of the boys?

I storm back into the lobby, finding Gwen right where I left her as a blind rage hits me like a tsunami. "What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything," she shrugs. "Maybe she just isn't ready for the whole insta-family thing."

"Or maybe you just can't stand seeing me happy."

"Look, I'm trying to do the right thing for once. I just want to make this as easy on the boys as I can and I'm sorry if that interferes with your plans to get laid. Can we just go back to the house and talk? I swear, that's all I'm after."

Part of me wants to go after Zoe, but she was pretty clear about what she wanted and the last thing I want to do is push her away even more. And maybe if I play this right with Gwen, I can find out what's got Zoe so upset. Despite her claimed innocence, there isn't a doubt in my mind that she's responsible, and I'll be damned if I let her ruin what Zoe and I have going.

"Fine." I take my fingers through my hair. "We can talk for an hour or so, and then you're leaving."

"Whatever you say, Captain." Gwen winks.

I'm already regretting this decision.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 1.2K 61
Sofia Tanner was taken in by the Tanner family at the age of ten and her brother, Ryan Tanner is a Seattle Police Officer. One day Sofia Tanner gets...
5.6K 58 21
This story is from the American series Chicago Fire. Logan Diaz is a candidate at station 51. When she meets a firefighter, a friendly love at first...
94K 2.4K 23
Keefe's departure took a toll on Sophie. She's been in a bad place, her life spiraling downhill. Deciding that she can't stay at Foxfire for the Elit...
24.4K 385 38
story about a normal girl (lyla) who works as a firefighter/EMT and a boy(jay) who is a detective. Both have a scared past and hardly believe in love...