Wattpad Original
There are 35 more free parts

Chapter Twelve

I don't get nervous

I don't get nervous. 

Not about running into burning buildings. Not about an entire team of guys depending on me in life or death situations. Not about putting myself in the line of fire to save others. Certainly not about dating.

But tonight, as I drove to pick up Zoe, my palms were sweaty and my heart raced and I barely got ahold of myself long enough to walk up to her front door. And then she opens the door looking like a goddamn knockout and it's all over. Those dark denim jeans ripped at the knees. That frayed band t-shirt hanging off of one shoulder. A peak of the black lace bralette she's wearing underneath is enough to send my imagination into overdrive and as her loose blonde curls spill down her back, my cock twitches and it's clear just how badly I want Zoe.

But I know myself, and I know that if I want any chance of this working out for real, I need to pull it together. I can't fuck it up. Zoe is the first girl in ages—maybe even ever — that excites me on every level. She ticks off every box I've got on my dream-girl checklist, and she's more. Way more. Which is exactly why I have to get my head and my dick on the page.

Somehow I keep it together long enough for us to drive down to La Jolla, which is a minor miracle with Friday evening summer traffic. As we sit in a heavy line of cars all crawling toward the pier, Zoe remarks that at least the view is nice. I agree with her, but we're not talking about the same thing by any stretch of the imagination. She's got her eye on the sunset, and it is spectacular tonight, but all I'm focused on is her and the playful smile playing at her lips. She's gorgeous, and the best part is, she doesn't even realize it.

Damn, please tell me I don't look as swept away as I am. I need to maintain at least a bit of my dignity here.

The conversation with her comes easily, and there is no awkwardness between us at all like I'd expect on a first date. It's like we've known each other for years, and I'm hanging onto every word she says. By the time we find a parking spot, the sun has faded behind the horizon, and there's a little sea breeze sweeping through the air.

"I figured it might be busy down here tonight, so I took a chance and made us a reservation at a little seafood place just down the beach. Does that sound okay?" I ask, helping Zoe out of my truck.

"That sounds perfect."

My fingers are interlaced in Zoe's as I lead her down the busy boardwalk. It's a beautiful night and hoards of people are taking advantage of the weather and the last few weeks of summer. It's been years since I've braved the masses and come down to the pier this time of year, and if it wasn't for Zoe, I probably wouldn't have tonight. Honestly, the girl could have asked me to free dive with great whites and I would have agreed just to spend more time with her.

The sidewalks are crowded, and my protective instincts take over. I hold her close to my body, weaving us through the sea of people. If there is anything to make me nervous, crowds do it. There is too much disaster potential there, and when mob mentality takes over, things get ugly. The last thing I want interrupting my date with Zoe is some kind of emergency I have to intercept.