Bagsy Beetlehorn and the Vamp...

By leollyen

When a shady acting troupe casts for their production of Vampire Affairs, something sinister is afoot. But wi... More

To Spite Your Face
Get Out of Jail Free Trip
Jail Break
The WhiskWay Station
Quolldron College
The Acting Troupe
A New Professor
A Good Old Rant
A New Subject
A Diseased Confidant
Option Two
Pota-toes
A Series of Mysteries
Training
The Investigation Begins
A Scuffle in the Trees
Blood-Mouth
The Fight
The Practise
A Debut
Sight, Words and Strength
An Unsent Letter
Holiday Arrangements
A Dynasty of Sacrifice
A New Term
An Analogy
Witchment Enrichment
Old Feuds, New Feuds
A Missing Mole-Man
Secrets Unlocked
The Second Episode
Perfectly Fine
Preparations for the Dance
The Vampire Ball
A Mind-Napping
An Aftermath
Plots and Schemes
A Briefing
Return to the Shadows
The Rescue
It All Goes Wrong
The Fall
The Escape
Taking a Breather

Hidden Records

3 0 0
By leollyen

There were a few names underneath Perdita's, ending with Bagsy's own, but she didn't pay them much attention. Instead, she shut the book and hurried from the room and back down the tunnel. She'd found no evidence of the breathing blight. Instead, she'd found evidence that Maisy did have a sister, and that this sister had worked with the acting troupe.

When Bagsy got to the tent flap that led back into the main room, she heard lots of talking.

'Where is she?'

'I don't know – she has a pass so the tiles aren't announcing her steps.'

'Three, she was under your watch, why did you let her go?'

'She said she needed the toilet!'

Hands aided by panic, Bagsy produced the chattering ball she'd bought at Hoohsair and threw it into the room. With loud yammerings the ball zipped around, crashing into props, fabric walls, and heads. Bagsy winced as she heard a few crashes. The acting troupe let out cries as they tried to catch it.

Hoping no one was looking in her direction, Bagsy rushed through the tent flap. The make-up stand was in the corner, next to the screen she'd changed behind. She ran over and, not able to think of any other plan, threw herself onto the ground and pretended to be asleep.

Eventually, one of the stunt-workers managed to catch the spiked ball.

'Four, Three, clean up this mess,' Philip ordered. 'What in tarnation is that thing? One?'

'I don't know,' said One.

'Hmm.'

'Philip!' someone called very near Bagsy, startling her. Embracing the genuine shock to help pretend she'd only just woken, she rubbed her eyes and looked up at the stunt-worker.

Five looked back at her, brushing his shaggy hair out of his eyes. 'You've caused us a lot of distress.'

'Sorry,' Bagsy yawned. 'I work really late most nights so sometimes I just crash out. I'm prone to fainting – ask anyone.'

Philip, who'd reached them, frowned. 'You were sleeping?'

'Sorry. I get really tired sometimes.' She was trying her best not to say anything untrue. She knew her acting was atrocious.

Five looked at Philip. 'She does have massive bags below her eyes.'

'They don't call me Bagsy for nothing,' she joked weakly.

Philip looked at her closely, but said nothing.

Unprompted, Three called, 'Primrose, is Bagsy prone to fainting?' Three was on the other side of the room, so Bagsy took a brief second to puzzle at how they had heard what they were talking about.

Primrose sneered. 'Yes. It's pathetic. Her favourite place to faint is on a broom in the sky, believe it or not. I'd say the floor of your tent is a drastic improvement.'

Bagsy's puzzlement grew even more. Something in Primrose's voice was off, like she didn't believe Bagsy, yet she was convincing the acting troupe it was the truth.

Philip finally relaxed, seeming satisfied. 'We were worried something had happened to you.' He offered a hand to help Bagsy to her feet, which she took.

'Thanks,' she said, before removing her hand from Philip's as quickly as she could. Unfortunately, Philip put one of his long-limbed arms around her and gave her shoulder a squeeze before touching his hand to the back of her neck. 'I'm just plum relieved we managed to find you after all,' he explained before finishing with a pat on her head.

Bagsy put as much space between herself and Philip as she could. 'Sorry to have caused you trouble,' she said, then walked quickly to the entrance. 'See you all later!' She grabbed her cloak, threw it over her shoulders, and rushed out.

Her cloak didn't want to sit right, as if it was catching on something, and kept shifting on her shoulders. In the end, feeling annoyed, she had to hold it shut with her hands as she moved back to the castle.

Mezrielda wasn't the first person she went looking for.

'Paloma,' Bagsy said once she'd burst into the Hufflepuff common room, throwing her cloak on one of the seats in annoyance, determined to check what was wrong with it once she got back.

'Yes?'

'Where's Maisy?'

'She's having a study session in the library right now,' said Paloma, sounding bitter. 'I offered to study with her, but she said an older student was going to help her as a one off.'

'Great, thanks.' Bagsy turned back around and ran to the library, even forcing a little thaumaturgy into her legs. Just as she was approaching the double doors of the library, the smaller door set within pushed open and Maisy ducked through it, carrying a heavy burden of books.

Maisy blinked through her rose-coloured glasses at Bagsy. 'Hello there.'

Almost breathless, it took Bagsy a second to speak. 'What... was her name?' she gasped out, holding her side.

Maisy frowned. 'Who's name?'

'Your sister. You said she went missing. What was her name?' If Maisy said the same name, then it couldn't just be coincidence. Two people could have the same surname and if Bagsy just came out and explained what she'd found, and asked Maisy if her sister was called Perdita, Maisy could easily say yes to back up what could still be a complete lie. It was far more of a coincidence, however, for someone to have the same first and last name as Maisy's sister and to have interacted with the acting troupe.

'Bagsy, what are you on about?' Maisy asked. 'I don't have a sister.' Shaking her head as if she'd gone mad, Maisy walked down the corridor, muttering about silly speculation.

Bagsy stared after her, breaths slowing with her sense of reality.

She didn't understand what was going on.

That was when she sought out Mezrielda. She was, of course, in the library nook.

In a rush, like one of the waterfalls at Quolldron college, Bagsy told her everything that had happened, all the while a look of mounting alarm spilled into her friends widening eyes.

'Something is very disturbing about that troupe,' Mezrielda fretted, tapping a finger against her chin in thought. 'There's an obvious explanation about Perdita.'

'Please. I'd love to hear it.'

'Maisy was lying.'

'Why would she change her tune?'

'I don't know,' said Mezrielda. 'But it's more likely she changed her tune because she didn't want to be caught in a lie.'

Bagsy was unconvinced. 'It's just a coincidence someone who worked for the acting troupe has the same last name?'

'Look,' said Mezrielda, standing. 'Maisy doesn't have a sister. I can show you.' She walked out of the library.

'Where are we going?' Bagsy asked as they entered a stone corridor. It was pitch black outside the windows and she could see gleams of light in the distance. She guessed it was Zotova and Mephit continuing their work on the fence. They were supposed to be finished by the end of this term, which wasn't far away.

'Hogwarts has a records room,' said Mezrielda. 'It's accessible to all students, though some records have wards over them. But anyone can look at the student registry. It's enchanted so it can't be messed with – what it says is accurate and there isn't a Perdita Jewel in it.'

'Make a deal with me,' said Bagsy, seeing an opportunity.

'That very much depends upon what the deal is.'

'If we find something that vindicates Maisy, or shows Perdita Jewel was at this school, you have to try and learn magic from me again.'

Mezrielda stopped in her tracks, her shoulders tensing. 'There's no point,' she murmured, sounding more sad than affronted. 'My knowledge is gone. I'm trying to accept that, but if I keep trying to go back to who I was then it's only going to be more time before I can move on.'

Bagsy frowned. 'Who you were? Mezrielda, you're still exactly the same person!'

'Am I?'

'Yes!'

'It certainly doesn't feel like it.'

'Just make this deal with me. Please,' Bagsy begged.

With a sigh, Mezrielda inclined her head. 'So be it. Perdita doesn't exist so it really makes no difference. You have yourself a deal.'

'Good. What do you want if you win?'

'I don't need such childish things,' Mezrielda scoffed. 'Simply knowing I bested you is more than enough. Which, naturally, I will do.'

The door to the records room needed to be politely asked to open or it would spit you back out. Thankfully, Mezrielda knew this and spoke in her poshest voice for permission to enter. One of the paintings on a wall tutted – clearly, the most exciting part of their day was seeing students thrown onto the ground by the door.

Inside were scrolls rolling and shelving themselves, whilst pieces of parchment zoomed from one book to another, pausing as they waited for quills to scribble short pieces of information on them. The room had a sweet, musky scent like old books, only amplified by the tiny size of it. Bagsy and Mezrielda barely managed to both fit.

'Here it is.' Mezrielda pulled a scroll off a shelf. 'This is from the class and year that Maisy claimed her sister was from. Take a look and prepare to lose that deal of yours.' Unrolling the scroll, Mezrielda handed it to her.

Bagsy scanned the page and found, in the middle of the names, listed as a Gryffindor, what she was looking for. 'I win,' Bagsy said, not feeling elated from the victory more than she was feeling dread from the prospect that something was very wrong. 'Look.' She showed Mezrielda, who was frowning in disbelief.

Her friend looked at the scroll. 'Her name isn't there.'

'What are you talking about? It's right here,' Bagsy argued hotly, pointing at where Perdita Jewel was clearly written.

'Bagsy, that's a blank space–' Mezrielda cut off, face paling. 'Someone cast an illusion to hide her name. But your eyes can see it. Someone wanted to hide Perdita from the records.'

Bagsy looked ominously at the scroll. 'Maisy was telling the truth.'

'Why would she say she didn't have a sister, then?'

Bagsy couldn't help shooting a little glare at Mezrielda. 'Maybe because since she's arrived at Hogwarts she keeps being called a liar. I'd give up on telling people stuff too, if I were her.'

Mezrielda had the good grace to look guilty. 'That's... a fair assertion.'

'Hold on.' Bagsy looked back at the scroll, anger rising in her.

'What?'

'Look.' Bagsy pointed at the name, trusting Mezrielda would be able to read it.

'Rebontil Getrishia Beetlehorn...' Mezrielda murmured. 'I take it Bontie is short for Rebontil, then?'

'Yeah.'

'Bontie was here at the same time as Perdita. Not in the same year group but here all the same. Maybe you could ask her–'

'I'm not writing a letter to Bontie,' Bagsy said firmly. Mezrielda opened her mouth to protest. 'I'm not.'

'So be it.' Mezrielda put the scroll back. 'What do we do now? The acting troupe are clearly not to be trusted.'

'I can find out more information from them,' Bagsy suggested. 'I could search the tent more, or listen into their conversations, or ask them questions.'

'True, but if the acting troupe are dangerous, you'll also be putting yourself at risk. Perdita worked with them and now she's disappeared.'

'I won't disappear.'

Mezrielda arched an eyebrow as they left the records room. 'I'm sure Perdita thought the same.'

'I already told them I'd take the part of Rose. If I drop out I'll be putting myself in more danger than if I go along with it and act as if nothing's wrong.'

'I suppose it would be suspicious for you to drop out the night before the first performance.'

'Exactly.' Bagsy walked ahead of Mezrielda for once feeling confident and determined. Sure, the acting troupe were up to something, and sure, she may be in danger by working with them, but she'd faced worse and been fine. Honestly, the thought of approaching people and trying to strike up a conversation was more dreadful to her than going back to the acting troupe.

Bagsy decided to have an early night. It was a big day tomorrow – her debut as Rose Deprive – and if the rehearsal was anything to go off of, she needed as much rest as possible.

She'd probably also need a miracle.

However, as she settled into a comfy armchairs with a book on the development of owl post and rudimentary magic communication, her ears were distracted by an annoying squabble.

'You need to leave her alone,' Greenda said in a hushed tone.

'You need to leave me alone,' Emmeline shot back. Bagsy glanced over. 'She just needs an outlet, something to stop her thinking about who people think she is, and to help show her who she could be, if she wanted.'

'You're making yourself a target,' said Greenda. 'Jahmir said he overheard Primrose was–'

'Oh? Jahmir? Is he one of the new friends you've bought in exchange for gossip?'

'Don't be like that. Am I not allowed friends? I'm just concerned about you.'

Emmeline scoffed. 'I don't need your concern. I need you to either help me or leave me alone. It's your choice.'

'I am trying to help you. Primrose is, and always will be, bad news. You had a lucky break when you were taken away from that life. We're in our last year, for goodness sake, we need to be focussed. Don't go putting yourself back in it for no reason.'

'For no reason?!' Emmeline's voice was rising now, and a few students paused their card games or studying to look in their direction. Noticing, Emmeline dropped her voice back to a whisper. 'If no one steps in that girl is going to have a miserable life. We may be estranged, but she'd still my sister, and I'm the best person to understand how she feels. You may think grades and attention are the most important thing in life, Gren, but some of us–'

'If I may,' said Bagsy, suddenly and to her own surprise. She'd stood up and walked over to Greenda and Emmeline, who had been so wrapped up in their whisper-scream off they hadn't noticed until she was bearing down on them. 'I have a suggestion.'

'What?' Emmeline asked coldly, glaring at her with hackles raised.

'Sorry if we disturbed you,' said Greenda with a guilty look.

'You want to help Primrose,' Bagsy said to Emmeline, before turning to Greenda, 'and you don't want Emmeline in with the wrong crowd. And,' Bagsy across the room, where Kat was speaking to Neve. 'Kat!' Bagsy called.

Kat looked expectantly at her. 'What's up?'

'You still need another chaser, right?'

Kat nodded.

Greenda shook her head. 'Oh, no. No, no, no. We are not doing that.'

Bagsy said, 'If we get Primrose to join the quidditch team we can give her something to focus on instead of being a jerk. Emmeline can try and help her during practise rather than on her own and you,' Bagsy gestured at Greenda, 'can keep your eye on the whole thing.'

Emmeline crossed her arms. 'More drama for you to report to those so-called friends of yours,' she hissed at Greenda.

'I don't report drama to them I talk to them about my day like anyone does!' Greenda defended herself. 'Has Primrose ever even played quidditch?'

'No,' said Emmeline.

Bagsy said, 'But she has excellent aim. She managed to hit... a target... with a brick from a big distance away.' She left out the fact the target had been her head.

She also recalled last year how, right before Primrose had been disfigured, she'd used the spell-sponge gloves to catch the barrage of spells Mezrielda had sent her way. She hadn't been as good as Bagsy, be she'd certainly done well enough. Primrose may even be a natural chaser. She certainly had the aggression.

Kat was walking over.

Greenda nodded in her direction. 'Why don't we let the captain decide?'

Kat said, 'Decide what?'

Bagsy explained the idea.

Kat glanced at Emmeline. 'And you want me to do this?' she checked. Emmeline nodded. 'We do have our first match next week, and if we don't have a chaser by then we'll forfeit...'

'I can't believe this,' Greenda breathed.

Kat nodded her head, decided. 'If you can get Primrose to agree, she'll be welcome on the team.'

Greenda let out a groan. 'Welcome's a strong word.'

'I'll think of a way to get her to agree,' Bagsy promised.

Emmeline averted her eyes. 'Thank you, Bagsy,' she said awkwardly. 'I appreciate it.'

'Sure thing.'

That issue as sorted as it could be, Bagsy decided she didn't want to stick around and hear any more of Greenda and Emmeline's fighting. Ducking into her hidden room, giving Eldritch some owl treats, and spending a few hours practising spells, Bagsy retired to bed at the early time of one in the morning.

The next day, the air of Hogwarts was electric with anticipation. On her journey to the great hall Bagsy found herself bombarded with questions.

'What's it like being in Vampire Affairs?'

'Does anyone die? Someone always dies.'

'Oooh, do the vampires betray anyone?'

'How do you feel about your hot vampire boyfriends?'

'Sorry,' Bagsy stammered, hanging her head low and rushing past all of them. 'I have, uh, bad hearing today. Bye.'

When she reached the hall, it became worse. Banners of purple and glittery grey hung from every available surface, changing between Vampire Affairs and Starts at Sundown. The floating candles were enchanted so their flames were in the shape of fangs and, to Bagsy's horror, there were posters of those who would be performing in the show. It shifted from One, dressed up at Benji 'Bites' Havok, to Five, as Ko 'Fang' Fin, to herself, as Rose Deprive.

Bagsy wished she could implode, or dig her own grave and bury herself in it, or even shrug out of her own skin, so that she wouldn't have eyes watching onto her.

She pulled the hood of her robe over her head and hunched over her bowl of porridge. When Mezrielda sat down next to her, she nearly did leap out of her skin. 'You were right,' Bagsy hissed. 'This is too dangerous. If people keep looking at me I'll die from a heart attack.'

Mezrielda tried to hold back a smirk. 'You're not scared of the acting troupe, who seemed to have made a girl go missing, but people paying you a little more attention than usual? Merlin forbid.'

Bagsy grumbled, looking straight down at her food as she ate.

'I hear they've changed it loads from the book!' a boy said to Bagsy's left, while a girl on their right was debating with her friends about which vampire Rose would end up with.

'I hate this,' Bagsy complained miserably.

Mezrielda said, 'I don't know. There would be so much influence and power I could use it for. I'd love to have this kind of fame and popularity.'

'Of course, you would,' Bagsy agreed teasingly.

'Put your hood down, you look ridiculous.'

'Make me,' Bagsy challenged.

Looking at her in silence, Mezrielda lurched forward to reach for her hood. Laughing, Bagsy leant out of reach. 'Fine,' Mezrielda said, crossing her arms. 'Have it your way.'

'I will.' Bagsy smiled at her friend but did put her hood down, now feeling slightly less embarrassed about being in an upcoming show. 'Oh!' Bagsy started, noticing Primrose enter the hall and sit down. 'That reminds me. I'll be right back – have to go and make a deal with the devil.'

'What–?' before Mezrielda could ask what on earth Bagsy had meant, Bagsy was walking towards Primrose. Rebekah saw her first, nudging Primrose and nodding in her direction.

Primrose turned, sharp teeth bared. 'Well, well. If it isn't the star of the show. The bell of the ball. The fool of the circus. How can I help?'

'You wanted me to take a test, didn't you?' Bagsy asked. 'To see if I had the sight.'

Primrose looked confused. 'Yeah. What of it? You won the fight, or did you just want to remind me?'

Bagsy tried to ignore the eyes still following her, and the conspiratorial whispers that floated through the hall like the ghosts. 'I'll take the test.'

Now, Bagsy had Primrose's full attention. 'And? Come on. I know you want something in return.'

'Play for the Hufflepuff quidditch team.'

Not for the first time Primrose, Rebekah and Logan were falling about laughing at her like hyenas. Self-consciously, Bagsy wrapped her arms around herself.

'The...... the quidditch team? Me?' Primrose cackled. 'Don't be stupid.'

'I mean it. I'll take the test if you join the team.'

'How about this,' said Primrose, voice lowered to a threatening level. 'I'll play one match for the team, 'cause I hear you're desperate to avoid a forfeit, and in return you'll take the sight test on Monday morning here, in the breakfast hall, for all to see. Oh! And you'll make me a new broom from scratch to my exact specifications. If I'm really going to be on the team, you better treat me the same as everyone else.'

'That's not–' Bagsy protested. She was already in one big production, she didn't need any more spectacle around her.

'Take it or leave it.'

Logan chimed in. 'Make your mind up quickly – you're spoiling our breakfast.'

'Fine,' Bagsy relented. 'I'll do it.'

'Wonderful.' Primrose held out a scaled hand. Bagsy stared at it, before steeling herself and shaking it. Primrose dug her claws into Bagsy's skin, grin widening. 'So glad to have done business with you.' As if training for throwing quaffles through hoops, she shoved Bagsy's hand away, and turned back to her friends.

Rubbing her sore hand, Bagsy hurried back to her own seat.

'What was that about?' Mezrielda asked.

Nervously, and still conscious of all the gazes fixed on her, Bagsy explained her idea to bring Primrose onto the quidditch team.

Shaking her head, Mezrielda looked down the table to where Primrose was. 'I think she'll only hurt your chances of winning,' she said. 'And they were already shockingly low.'

'It can't hurt.'

'Primrose can hurt quite a bit, I think you'll recall.' 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

623K 14K 41
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
2.3M 117K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
9.9M 500K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...
1.1M 46.4K 52
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...