Colouring Outside The Lines

By Penelope_Shuettez

Not all first loves are meant to be and not all "meant-to-be" couples end up together. Lucas and Quinn learnt... More

Introduction
Playlist
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36

Chapter 16

3 3 6
By Penelope_Shuettez

                          QUINN

       I was spending so much time with Demetri that is had become a usual for me. And I started to get a strange feeling in my tummy when he smiled at me with that dimple or when we argue over something.
      I was acting like a giddy teenager. I've had crushes before, so I know how I act when I have one. I've had a crush before in Columbia, in Italy, on Zion and on Lucas. Even though Lucas was my proper first boyfriend.

      I always never had time to enjoy life when I was a teen. It was always my family before me. They were and still are priority. I got a breath of fresh air when business started going good and I started dating Lucas. Even then it felt like I was cheating my family. But hadn't I done my part? Couldn't I let loose for a bit?

       "So you seriously have never been to a high school or college football game, where was your teenage hood?" he asked me as he was driving us back from a diner.

      "Uh I spent that period in Italy, we do not have American football, we have football," I stated while sipping my slushy.
        "I've just always had to step-up for as long as I can remember. I'm very much aware there is a gap in my life."

         "Well, it's not too late to have fun," he stated.

      "Yah. I guess," I said flatly.

      "Come on Dee. You're successful and you're 23. It wouldn't hurt to loosen up," he said before looking at me.

       "No, it wouldn't," I said, "eyes on the road."

      "We'll start by not being a buzz kill," he joked while looking back at the road.
      "And you have the privilege of acting like the most childish person you know."

      Rosalina.

       "I am not acting like my 17-year-old sister," I stated.

    "Buzz Kill," he said while slowly down, "look I've seen you try to loosen up.
      That's who I want you to bring out. Not Quinn Divina Montanari, the famous designer. Or the business tycoon with a whole RBF.
      I just want you, my Divina."

     My heartbeat increased at the last past. He wants me. I tried not to look affected.

      I pretended to groan then sighed.
  "Fine."
      He gave me his billion-dollar smile.

      Aircraft was taking off from the airstrip nearby. It was the one I usually used.
      I remembered that my phone was on airplane mode. I really did not want business calls to ruin today. I wanted to spend more time with Demetri. I even made sure to handle everything before I left.

      "The finals are this Saturday, I'd like it if you came," he said.

       I turned to look at him and reply but my phone began buzzing constantly. I turned my attention to my phone.
       Messages and missed calls from Tammy, home in Milan and Lorayne's doctor, hours ago. I was filled with panic.

     "Can you please turn to the airstrip," I told Demetri while reading through the messages.

     He looked confused but did as told.

     We arrived and he parked the car

      "I'm really sorry, I have no time to explain but I have to leave, like now," I said as calmly as I could.

     "Quinn, I can tell you're uneasy, relax," he said while putting his hand on mine

      "I'm really trying to, I'll text you when I get this sorted out," I said and he nodded his head.

     I grabbed my bag, got out of the car and walked into the terminal.

      "Hello, Ms Montanari," the manager said. "We do not have a scheduled flight today, anything wrong?"

        "Yes, I'm sorry for coming unannounced but it's an emergency," I said, "How quickly can you get my jet ready and scheduled?"

       After we worked everything out, I called Tammy and asked her to handle things while I was gone and to keep me updated.

       I arrived in Milan the next day and went straight to the hospital. When I arrived, I was told Lorayne was sedated so I went  to her doctor so get an explaination on what exactly happened.

      "We have no idea what Lorayne wanted to do. The air filters were working just fine so I don't think anything would have gotten and trigged her body," she explained.
      "Currently her air passages are inflamed. We are trying our best to reduce it and get as much oxygen as possible into her body."

      I left her office after I got the neccesary information. I found my Aunt Kristen in the waiting lounge. We talked for a bit before she had to leave for something she'd postponed.

      "I'm sorry, I should have been here earlier," I apologized.

      "but you weren't, your sister needed you, she cried for you," she said and I shut my eyes.

        "I'm sorry, I was just -" I started but she cut me off.

      "Distracted. Bambina you know your sister has episodes sometimes, she's fragile. And yet it's like you suddenly relocated to the States," she continued.

     "I know, I -" I said but she cut me off again.

      "Lorayne told me you're seeing someone again. Men are only good at distracting powerful women from what's actually important.
      We are Montanari women, we can hold our heads higher than that," she lectured,
      "Don't be like your mother."

       She left.

       I fought the urge to cry. Was I really getting too distracted. My phone ringing pulled me out of my thoughts. Demetri was calling.
     My time was still in LA time, and it was showing half past four am.

      I was about to answer when the doctor came to tell me that Lorayne was up and wanted to see me.
     I looked at my phone. I sighed while putting it on silent.
     I packed it in my bag and followed the doctor.

      "I'm sorry," Lorayne apologized immediately I got into her room. She looked so pale and weak. The oxygen mask on her face.
       Lorayne sometimes got episodes and did things to harm herself because the pressure of her life got to her. She always wanted to be normal.

      "It's okay, sorella," I said while carefully hugging her. I felt her tears trickle down onto my sleeve. After staying like that for a while, I asked her to rest up properly. She asked me not to leave and told her that I wouldn't.

     I quickly sent a text to Demetri saying I was fine and not to worry. There after I turned off my phone.

    I aunt's words rang in my head. For now I didn't know how to handle my situation with Demetri.
      I just had to stay away for sometimes and focus on this. My sisters' happiness will always come first, even at the cost of my own.

                      LUCAS

      "You sure I look okay, I don't want to look out of place?" Royanne asked for like the fifth time since we left my house.

       "I can repeat a hundred times more, you look breathtakingly gorgeous," I told her and kissed the back of her hand.

     She was in a silver-colored, A-line, V neck, satin floor length dress with a slit on the side. Her makeup was natural and her skin was glowing.
     She had a simple bracelet with matching earrings and necklace.

     She sighed. I knew she was nervous. As my girlfriend, I asked her to be my date to an auction dinner.

    Yes, I asked her to be my girlfriend and she said yes.

     I adjust the bowtie of my tux and held my hand out to her, "Shall we?"

     She nodded and held my arm as we walked into the Main Hall. The auction was mainly of new business deals, investment, lands and projects.  I directed her to a table where a few of my business associates where seated, soon she began conversing with a date of one of my associates.

      "Kim-Rea, do you think you'll win the Corydon deal against Quinn? It's no secret that she is your biggest competition for it," One associate asked.

        "Quite confident actually," I replied.

      I had been working so hard over this and I know Quinn was actually going to be hard to beat but I had confidence I'd win.

      "Well, you're at an advantage since she hasn't been.. In the right state of mind lately," a lady said.

      Someone asked why.

      "Something happened to her little sister. Poor little thing almost died. Quinn hasn't left Italy ever since, she didn't even attend this year's MET," the lady replied.

    She didn't attend the MET? That was one of Quinn's favorite galas. What happened to Lorayne? I hope she's okay. She's always been a fragile girl. But bright and well behaved.

     I decided to ask Royanne to dance as the conversation drifted.

     I placed my hand on her waist and the other holding her hand. Her other hand was placed on my shoulder. We began to sway to the music.

      "How are you enjoying the party?" I asked.

      "Well, it's a bit too boring to be considered a party," she joked making both of us laugh lightly.

      "Oh come on, it's actually quite lively," I said.

      "Okay then, never invite me to another one," She replied and smiled.

      "No chance, you're stuck with me," I told her. We dance for a bit before the song ended.

      "Let's go take our seat. The auction should be starting soon," I told her.

      "Lucas Kim-Rea," I heard someone call. I turned to face Athena Knightly. She was a very good business partner of mine.

     "Athena," I said while she gave me a small hug.

     "It's great to meet you," she said, "and your lovely date."

      "you too," Royanne said to her.

      "Athena-" Someone called. Demetri appeared at her side. Did this guy like older women or what?

       "Othonos," Royanne said in a bit of surprise.

       "King," he replied amused.

      Oh they knew each other. I forgot. I also forgot that the world thought they were dating.

      "You two know each other?" Athena asked.

        "Yeah,"

         "Yes" They chorused. 

      "What a coincidence then," Athena Chimed in.

      "Athena, where's Stephan?" I asked.

     "That husband of mine got sick so I had to last minute bug my baby cousin into coming with me," she said while slightly pinching Demetri's cheek.
        Royanne giggled at this. I forgot that she was Athena Othonos Knightly. After a light conversation, and Demetri and Royanne having a silent conversation they thought I didn't notice, we parted ways.

      "Speak of her highness herself," someone at our table said when we arrived.

      I looked in the direction of their line of sight as Quinn walked in.

      "10 out of 10, she never disappoints when it comes to fashion," a lady commented.

       She looked as elegant and regal as usual. Put together with her usual makeup but she had straightened her hair into a sleek ponytail.
        Behind her entire appearance I could tell something was wrong. She looked pale for starters.

     It was at that point that I noticed her date. Zion Makarios. Ughhh.

     They called for us to get our number tabs. And it was there that I met Quinn. Though technically she was talking to Royanne.

       "I trust you will do great with the dress, don't worry," She told Royanne.

      "Thank you," Royanne said.

      "No hard feelings if I win Lucas" she said to me next.
     I was caught by surprise but masked it.

      "Absolutely none, I'm wining," I said to her and smiled while arching my eyebrow.

      "Bella, let's take our seats, it's about to begin," Zion said while coming to her side.

      "Kim-Rea," he said when he saw me.

      "Makarios," I responded. We got into a glaring contest.

      "Not now," Quinn said while pulling Zion away and muttering 'Childish' to both of us in Italian.

     They started the announcement.

     "And finally, the Corydon deal, with a bid of 2.7 million dollars, goes to bidder 1-3-7," The announcer said, "bidder 1-3-7."

     WHAT THE HELL!!?? 2.7 million. It's not even worth more than 1.5 million. Who could possibly.
     I looked at Quinn to see her equally puzzled.

     "Wow," Royanne awed next to me. I look in her line of sight.

     Dress in white and gold was none other than Lupita Montanari, aka, Quinn's mum. She walked up the staged with Marco Dela Cruz. No one messed with this guy. In all honesty, I had a strong belief he was some kind of Columbian Mafia.
     This wasn't going to end well.

     "Thank you," He spoke after receiving the documents. His voice held a certain authority and power.
      "Apologies to my competitors but it's good to lose sometimes."

     I looked over to Quinn and she looked like a bull seeing Red.

     He handed them to Lupita, "Hold onto these for me, Mi Reina."

     "As most of you already know, I plan to help many foundations that help the vulnerable, the weak, submissive and inferior.
      It reminded me of a lot. In fact I chose to call it divine -," he spoke. He had this... look, I didn't know what it was.
     " -named after my little girl and princesa, Quinn Divina Dela Cruz."

     Nobody had time to process what he said because no sooner had he uttered those word than Quinn had thrown a champagne class at him.
       Marco dodge it and the class shattered on the wall behind him.

    Gasps filled the room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.9K 973 74
We all have our fantasies, but the real deal? Its not exactly the Cinderella story we imagined. Celebrities have real lives too, but it's hard to kee...
29 2 9
Dear Diary, Have you ever thought of not belonging with other people? Constantly trying to fit in yet all efforts were in vain. But you see, I've fo...
392K 12.8K 55
"Sooner or later you're going to fall for me." "You forgot the 'never' option." I smiled fakely. He chuckled. "That isnt an option." "You sure?" I as...
158K 2.7K 44
Previously known as The Accident --------- She is beautiful. So fucking beautiful. She is a star and I would become an astronomer for her and I woul...