Rowans Choice

Par SPenBooks

Completed ✨👸🏼 Born to the fairy elite, the royal line, next in line to take the crown, a queen to be announ... Plus

Rowans Choice
Chapter One- No, I will not be claimed
Chapter Two - The Prophecy
Chapter Three- Andy
Chapter Four- Not my choice
Chapter Five- Why her?!
Chapter Six- Kings counsel
Chapter Seven- Engagement party
Chapter Eight - Hell about covers it
Chapter Nine - The Oak
Chapter Ten - A captive love
Chapter Eleven- The switch
Chapter Twelve- Formalities
Chapter Thirteen- Freedom hurts
Chapter Fourteen- The art of pretence
Chapter Fifteen- Lesson one
Chapter Sixteen- Field trip
Chapter Seventeen- Hell froze over
Chapter Eighteen- Butterflies
Chapter Nineteen- Infuriated
Chapter Twenty- Slowly slowly catchy monkey
Chapter Twenty One- Morning meeting
Chapter Twenty Two- Restraint
Chapter Twenty Three - Safe intimacy
Chapter Twenty Four- Eris
Chapter Twenty Five- Graduation
Chapter Twenty Seven - One foot out the door
Chapter Twenty Eight- A successful attempt?!
Chapter Twenty Nine- Death of the Sovereign
Chapter Thirty - A kingdom awoken
Chapter Thirty One - A Traitors fate
Chapter Thirty Two- Kingdoms gather
Chapter Thirty Three- A perfect day
Chapter Thirty Four- Holy Merge
Chapter Thirty Five- Final formalities
Chapter Thirty Six- Willow
Chapter Thirty Seven- Sycamore
Chapter Thirty Eight- Aspen
Chapter Thirty Nine- The family line
Chapter Forty- The Heir
Chapter Forty One- An Ember
Chapter Forty Two- The beginning
Sequel

Chapter Twenty Six- Whoopsie

1.9K 136 10
Par SPenBooks

My father and the counsel were assembled, the chatter as I walked in with Sycamore was hushed and serious.

"Princess Rowan" Reed acknowledged as all counsel stood to greet me from the table.

"You may sit" I respond, walking around to my empty seat opposite my father.

Sycamore stands at my side and observes.

"What is the situation" I ask curiously.

My father gestures to the map of Olamoore spread out on the table. "Everything in Olamoore that was working with magic as its energy source...died twenty minutes ago. A black out of all magic, and the most concerning part...the veil was down. We were visible, accessible and vulnerable for just shy of four minutes"

"Is this a calculated attack from Thistle" Sycamore asked from beside me. "A practice run for the wedding or coronation"

My father looked deeply concerned as he considered the question "Never in our history have I seen any kingdom brought to their knees like this...it's most probably linked to Rowans Coronation. Once she is crowned, her reign begins. Those that fear her, they will want to strike early to avoid her being crowned entirely. The army are on the outskirts, ready for action"  he informs.

"Father may I speak with you" I ask.

He looks across the table like I was asking something quite ridiculous "Rowan this is a matter of our kingdoms security ...I will no doubt be here all night on this"

"I urge you to just hear me out..." I ask.

"Whatever you must say... say it here. Especially if it's about what happened here today"

The entire Counsel watch me closely from under bushy white eyebrows, and white and gold robes which quite honestly made them ghoulish to me... not sacred or senior.

I suddenly felt like I was a young teenager being brought before the school board for discipline.

I stand, hands on the table before me, and I look up to acknowledge them all "To avoid an unnecessary military response ... and quite frankly a war. I must confess, despite my reservations to do so..."

The silence that follows is oppressive.

My father stands and grabs my arm "a word" he booms loudly as he took me to the far end of the room "What the hell were you about to confess" he asked sternly.

Sycamore took the place beside me. "My thoughts exactly"

"I accidentally ...blew out the veil" I confess, grimacing and baring my teeth.

"How" My father asks a little more seriously.

I wasn't about to explain how it was a simple case of intimacy withdrawn. Hand holding. Honestly it wasn't even passionate. Would we render the entire realm void of magic if we actually went all the way?!

"I was practising with my magic...and got a little carried away. I didn't even know I could do that father. I fixed it though as soon as I realised"

"Rowan are you telling me that you have the power to disable an entire kingdoms magic...."

"I am" I Confirm regretfully, making myself seem smaller in stature as a survival instinct.

Although it was a lie. Andy and I together could disable the magic of the kingdom...but I didn't think I was powerful enough to do it alone.

He leans closer to whisper "you must never confess that to anyone...not even the counsel. If anyone knew" he shook his head "my darling your prophecy will be all but confirmed. Army's from every corner would march on Olamoore for your head"

"Rowan when did this happen. I left you with Bell didn't I" Sycamore asked.

"Does she know" My father asked concerned.

"Of course not" I return "I managed to hide that it was me... I swear I had no idea I could do that Father"

He runs his hand over his beard in deep thought, considering no doubt how to get me out of this new mess.

"Let me handle this" he says as he turns and walks back to his place at the head of the table.

He stands as I had with his hands on the table and looks to the Counsel as I sat down once again.

"Rowan here doesn't want a war before her coronation, and I agree with her. We shall keep the army on alert on the outskirts of the veil but we shall not act on any hunches or finger point just yet. Let us manage this situation on a daily basis"

"But sire" Reed interrupts "if this is an active threat we must act"

My father slams his hand on the table "I have just over a month left as your sovereign and king... I will not go out with a war raging around us. Nobody was harmed... let us take some time to investigate so we don't do exactly what Sorcha wants us to do... and make moves against them. She's hungry for it now, we won't fall into her war"

"I have to wonder" Arden, my fathers trusted advisor says standing beside him "if the Islanders couldn't have something to do with this. Don't you find it suspicious that Eris is brought here by Islander guard, entering the veil to do so, and then this occurs" he suggests.

"A Trojan horse" Reed adds, as the Counsel begin to mutter amongst themselves.

"We will investigate" My father says loudly, shushing them all at once. "But we do so under the radar and without drawing attention. Arden I will give you the job of leading a team to do so. Have them report anything back to us, it is to be done under the highest security clearance only. I don't want anyone in Olamoore to be worried or fearful of what just happened. We don't need to terrify our people"

"Of course" he agrees.

"Rowan you may leave us to it" My father urges.

I nod and push out my chair, standing and looking to the counsel one last time "good evening" and if I could have ran out of there for my epic mistake, I would have.

Sycamore keeps up with my pace as we make our way quickly into the hallway and shut the door. The guards that escort me are through the next door waiting.

Sycamore takes his moment in the privacy of the hallway to stamp his feet "well that was embarrassing" he snapped "could you not have warned me before we went in that you had blown up the bloody veil. You are an absolute pain in my butt... a royal thorn in my freaking side Rowan of Olamoore... and I long for the day you no longer need a guardian"

"Let's face it Sycamore... I may age out of needing a guardian but I will never mature out of needing one"

"Facts" he says muttering about "a life sentence" and looking madder then a wet hen.

"What can I say" I ask holding up my hands "whoops"

"Whoops" he mutters "whoops" he says a little madder "this should have been an easy gig. Keep the Princess alive and on track until she turned twenty one... then get assigned back to the king to enjoy retirement with him... but you are going to need me until the day I die... which under your rule may just be soon"

I lean down and tickle his cheek "don't be grumpy ... you love me really"

He brushes my hand away. He was too cute in the ugliest way when he was furious. If you've ever seen an animal in the shelter that couldn't get homed because of it's looks, and then decided you never wanted something more, you will get what I mean. The cutest and ugliest little guy in the whole kingdom... and I just wanted to smoosh his cheeks and keep him annoyed for a century more.

"Don't look at me like that" he warns.

"I can't help it" I confess.

I reach out and pull him into my arms and squeeze him so hard he squeaks.

"Ufff you are adorable" I say to annoy him further.

I release him to stare me down in a fit of rage and open the door to the lift area and the guards.

"Take me back to my branch" I order "I have a midnight rendezvous to get ready for"

"With whom" Sycamore calls from behind me.

"My beloved of course"

Sycamore shakes his head as he follows me into the lift "I will give the guards a heads up for imminent chaos, broken doors and blown apart walls"

I let out a little laugh at the visual "No need...Andy and I am sure can get through one conversation without making a scene"

Sycamore snorts and laughs in such a high pitch, only felines could probably hear him "I would bet highly against that being the case... but in all seriousness Rowan"

"Yes" I ask as the lift lowers through the levels of the Oak.

"Is the switch completed" he asks.

I had almost forgotten about that, in my head it was pointless because I knew Andy would have ditched it by now.

"No" I confess

He rolls his eyes "why not"

"I will do it tonight" I promise "I will be in her chambers. I will search for it somehow"

"Make sure you do. I don't need to be worrying about that"

"Stop being a Flea Sycamore" I chastise as I step out of the lift and onto the branch, leaving him behind "go have a night of relaxation in your bubble bath, try not to drown, wear your life ring, and il see you in the morn"

"Goodnight dearest thorn in my side" he calls. "Behave won't you"

"Can't make that promise" I call back as he disappeared from view.

I could hear both Eris and Luna as I passed Andy's room, and I made a mental note to avoid them at all cost and head over only when Andy's room had fallen into silence.

A visit under the cover of darkness to the girl I longed for bed chamber... I got goosebumps as I considered it and all of the things that could go both right... and wrong.

Midnight needed to tick down a heck of a lot quicker. I would take a bath and busy myself until it arrived.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

3.9K 114 35
≪ ☽ ≫ ──── ≪• ✾ •≫ ──── ≪ ☾ ≫ PJOxHP "Who are you supposed to turn to when the only one who can stop the tears is the one who made you cry in the fir...
2.6M 70.8K 21
"Are you... lost?" Someone asked, her tone impatient. I stopped scanning the room to find the woman behind the voice. I blinked. She had the most lu...
5K 138 16
"Ash." Meghan whispered as I ran to her, hugging her tight never wanting to let go again. "Why must you always get yourself into trouble when I'm not...
104K 7.7K 33
Cailleach Bheur. The Bringer of Winter. Demi-goddess queen of Wal'yah. I was supposed to be born a woman. I was supposed to lead my people, use the w...