Coming Home (Sequel to This T...

Par MiddleEarthPixie

Since the night Loki Odinson crash landed in her apartment, McKenna Carlin's life has gone from ordinary and... Plus

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-EIght
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Author's Note

Chapter Forty-Three

459 25 0
Par MiddleEarthPixie

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

As he stepped out into Heimdall's observatory, Loki shifted Selig ever so gently, but Selig still let out a whimper. "Daddy..."

"I'm so sorry, Sel," Loki murmured, gazing down at him. Selig was still very pale, but the greenish tinge had returned. "Are you going to be sick again?"

"I don't know..."

"Just let me know if you are."

Heimdall came over to them. "Welcome home, my lords. Do you need Eir?"

Loki nodded. "We do. We think it's his appendix."

"Of course." Heimdall returned to his dais while Loki brought Selig out to the dock, where one of the ships was already waiting for them.

Loki sat as gently as he could and Selig snuggled closer. "Hang in there, little man. We're almost to Eir."

Selig nodded, his eyes closed. "Okay, Daddy."

They skimmed over the surface of the Asgard Sea, Loki doing his best to absorb any shocks or jostling, but guilt still pricked at him whenever Selig groaned. "Ow..."

"I'm sorry, love," Loki said, smoothing Selig's bushy hair away from his face. "It won't be much longer."

Selig opened his eyes. They were reddish and shiny with unshed tears. "Am I dying?"

"No, Sel. You aren't dying."

"Where's Mommy?"

"She had to get your brother and sisters ready to go. She'll be here as soon as she can." Loki sat back against the thinly padded seat, rocking Selig gently.

"Are we almost to Eir's?"

Loki lifted his head to squint out over the bow of the ship. The palace was still a ways off. "Almost, little man."

The greenish hue in Selig's skin darkened. "I'm gonna throw up again, Daddy."

"All right. I'm going to lift you up and when I do, lean forward, okay?" He didn't wait for Selig to respond, but shifted him in his arms, calling over his shoulder to the ship's captain, "Slow down!"

The ship ground to a halt as Selig leaned over the side and his stomach emptied itself into the sea. He coughed, heaved, and began crying once more even as Loki gently rubbed his back. "Don't cry, Sel," he murmured, kissing the back of Selig's head. "Everything is going to be just fine. I promise."

Selig went limp against him, trembling and damp with sweat. "It really hurts."

"I know it does, baby boy." Loki cradled him to his chest as an infuriating sense of helplessness washed over him. It was bad enough when it was McKenna suffering, but to know his child suffered and he could do nothing to stop it, was enough to make Loki grit his teeth and want to blast something into nothingness. But all he could do was rock Selig gently, smooth a hand over his hair, and whisper, "It won't for much longer, though. We're here."

The ship eased to a smooth stop and Loki carefully stepped from it to the dock, where Tyra was already waiting for them. "Heimdall alerted us and Eir has the soul forge ready. Shall I take him?"

She reached for him, but Loki tightened his hold on Selig. "I have him, Tyra."

Color rose against her cheekbones at his harsh tone. "Of course, my lord."

He brushed by her to hurry into Eir's chambers where the Healer offered up a serene smile. "I'm all ready for him, Loki. Just be gentle."

"Of course." Loki bent through the humming golden web, which reverberated softly through him, and placed Selig as gently as he could. Even so, Selig still winced and whimpered, "Ow..."

"It's almost over, baby," Loki whispered, brushing a kiss over his son's forehead. "Easy now, darling boy, it's almost over."

Selig nodded even as tears trickled from the corners of his eyes. Eir caught Loki by his upper arm to urge him back. "Go over there and take his hand, Loki. I need to work now."

Loki nodded, skirting the table to Selig's right side, where he flicked his fingers to make a low stool appear, and sat, slipping his hand beneath Selig's. When he closed his hand, Selig's disappeared from sight, but he squeezed his father's hand. Without thinking, Loki brought it to his lips and kissed the back of it. "My brave boy..."

Selig turned to look at him, his blue eyes bloodshot, but wide. "I'm scared, Daddy."

"You don't need to be scared, Selig. I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere."

"Promise?"

Loki nodded. "I promise." He kissed the back of Selig's hand again and with his free one, reached through the webbing to brush Selig's hair away from his forehead. "I'll stay right here until you tell me to go away, all right?"

Selig nodded slowly. "Okay."

"Here, watch this." Loki wiggled his fingers and fireworks shot from them to explode up near the ceiling in a burst of purple and gold. They rained down over them and without waiting, Loki sent up more, this time in shades of silver, pink, and green.

"That's so cool, Daddy. I wish I could do that."

"Someday, when you're a little older, I'll teach you." Loki gave another lazy swish and the fireworks morphed into a dragon with silver scales breathing dark blue fire.

Selig's eyes lit up and he actually smiled. "I love dragons. Another one, please?"

"Of course. What color?"

"Um... gold and green." Selig's gaze fell on Loki. "Your colors, Daddy."

Loki smiled, ruffling Selig's hair with his free hand. "Am I a fierce dragon?"

"Yep." Selig's eyes took on a mischievous glint. "Unless you make a mommy dragon. Then you aren't fierce at all."

Loki chuckled. "A mommy dragon?" The green and gold dragon let out a roar that made Eir jump. "What colors would a mommy dragon be?"

Selig winced. "Ow..." Then he scrunched his face in thought. "Pink. Pink and silver."

"Pink and silver it is." A second dragon appeared over their heads, breathing silver fire as she neared the green and gold one. "And now, daddy dragon goes soft."

And with that, the green and gold dragon flipped onto its back, all four legs in the air. Selig giggled, then winced, and then sighed. "He looks dead, Daddy."

"Sorry." Another flick of his hand and the green and gold dragon was on its feet once more, breathing pale orange puffs of smoke. "Should I make him kiss the mommy dragon?"

"Ew, no." Selig made a face. "Can I have an Unca Thor dragon?"

Loki sighed. "If you must." A red and blue dragon appeared. "How's that?"

Selig nodded. "Good." He lay quietly for a few minutes, wincing every now and then as Eir moved around him. Then, he said, "Daddy? Is Mommy sick?"

"Mommy?" Loki peered down at him, shaking his head. "No, why?"

"Last night, I had a bad dream and was going to come into your room, but it sounded like Mommy was sick."

"Sick? How?"

He shrugged, flinching as Eir moved over the lower side of his stomach. "I don't know. She sounded kind of moany, I guess."

Heat swept through Loki at that, and it didn't help that Eir peered over at him, one eyebrow slightly raised and smile tugging on her lips. Silently thanking whatever god responsible for keeping Selig from opening their bedroom door last night at a very inopportune-and potentially very embarrassing-moment, Loki said, "Mommy is just fine, darling boy. She... had a nightmare herself."

"Why don't I think that is the truth?" Eir murmured, loud enough for Loki to hear, but low enough that Selig didn't.

"Good. I don't like when Mommy gets sick."

Loki grinned and smoothed Selig's hair away from his forehead. "She isn't. I promise you, she isn't."

Eir glanced over at Loki and smiled again as she continued manipulating the webbing, which appeared to show Selig's inner workings. She frowned and looked down at Selig. "I'm afraid it is your appendix, love," she said softly. "We'll have to remove it."

Selig jerked back toward Loki, his eyes even wider. "Remove it?"

"It's all right, darling boy," Loki assured him with a smile. "Right, Eir?"

She nodded. "It's fairly simple, Selig. You'll have to stay here tonight, but tomorrow you should be able to go back to Midgard."

Selig looked from her to Loki and back. "Will it hurt?"

She shook her head. "No. You will be asleep the entire time and when you wake up, I will make certain you have medicine to keep it from hurting." Her eyes flicked to Loki. "And Daddy can stay with you the entire time, if you wish."

Selig turned to Loki. "Will you stay, Daddy?"

Loki nodded. "Of course." He gave Selig's hand a gentle squeeze. "And I'm sure Mommy will as well."

Eir's smile faded. "I don't think we should wait until the princess arrives, Loki."

Loki's gut twisted slightly. "Why?"

"I just think it would be best if we removed it as soon as possible."

"Daddy? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, Sel." He eased his hand free and patted Selig through the webbing. "I just need to speak with Eir a moment, darling boy. I'll be right back."

He rose from the stool and caught Eir by the elbow to steer her out of Selig's earshot. "What's the matter?"

She faced him, her eyes still serene. "His appendix is very inflamed, Loki, and if we wait for Princess McKenna, I'm afraid it might rupture and that makes it far more serious."

He sighed, raking his fingers through his hair. "Are you certain?"

She shook her head. "Not one hundred per cent certain, no, but based on what I do know, it is a distinct possibility.

Loki glanced over at Selig, who was looking a little green again. "I know McKenna would say do what you must, but part of me thinks she would want to talk to him before he goes to sleep."

"Loki," Eir's hand curved over his forearm, "we both know she would not risk making Selig sicker. What would she say to you?"

He offered up a sheepish grin. "She would say, 'Don't be stupid, Jötunn. I trust Eir and I trust her judgment.'" He looked up at her. "So, if you think we shouldn't wait, let's not wait."

She nodded. "I think we shouldn't wait."

"Very well." He moved back to his stool and caught Selig's hand once more. "You still with us, little man?"

Selig nodded slowly. "It really hurts, Daddy."

"I know it does, but it won't for much longer." Loki brushed Selig's hair away from his forehead. "And when it's all over and Eir says you can have a treat, I'll bring you some ice cream."

"Funnel cake, Daddy. Please?"

Loki smiled. "Funnel cake it is, darling boy."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"Okay." Selig's eyes fluttered shut for a minute, then he opened them again. "Is Mommy here yet?"

"Not yet. But by the time you wake up, she will be. I promise."

Eir joined them and the humming in the webbing grew louder. "All right, Selig, you're going to feel warm, and then sleepy. And when you wake up, this will all be over."

He nodded. "Okay, Eir." He tightened his hold on Loki's hand. "Can Daddy stay right here?"

"Of course he can."

Loki brought Selig's hand up to kiss once more. "And I'm not going to move. I'll be right here with you, Sel."

"Okay..." Selig's voice grew thin and faded away as Eir's magic took effect and he drifted off to sleep.

Loki didn't move, didn't take his eyes off his son's face as he held Selig's hand. Eir went to work, while her assistants hovered nearby, just in case. His back began to ache from his position, and from the uncomfortable stool, but he still didn't move.

A gentle hand came down on his shoulder and McKenna's voice was soft in his ear as she murmured, "How is he doing?"

"He is fine, Your Highness," Eir replied, not looking up from Selig as she worked.

Loki peered at McKenna over his shoulder and swished his free hand to conjure a stool for her. "I wanted to wait for you to arrive, but Eir thought it might make matters worse."

"It's all right, Loki." McKenna sank onto the stool and leaned her head against his shoulder as she slid her arm beneath his. Her hand came to rest on his, the hand that held Selig's. "I trust Eir's judgment."

Loki exchanged grins with Eir. "That's what I told her you'd say."

McKenna let out a soft laugh. "You know me too well, Jötunn."

"I ought to by now." He turned to press a kiss into the top of her head. "Where are Aislinn and the twins?"

"The Allfather took Aislinn riding and Kirsten and Anya are watching Nicky and Kyra." McKenna lifted her head as she gazed down at Selig. "He looks so small, doesn't he?"

"He does." Loki gave Selig's hand a gentle squeeze. "He thought he was dying."

"He must have been terrified."

Loki shook his head. "I don't think so. He's a brave little boy."

"I know that, but even brave little boys get scared." She looked up at him, a hint of teasing in her green eyes. "Just as brave men get scared from time to time as well. I don't know who was paler, you or Selig."

"There is nothing worse than seeing your child suffer when you can do nothing to ease it."

She nodded, pressing her cheek into his shoulder once more. "I know."

The webbing began to buzz and Loki sat up as Eir said, "Tyra, come here, please."

"What's wrong, Eir?" McKenna asked, lifting her head from his shoulder to stare up at the Healer.

A worried frown creased Eir's forehead as the buzzing grew louder still. "He is having a reaction to the forge... I was afraid of this."

"A reaction?" Loki looked down at Selig, who was now almost blue, he was so pale. His hand, still in Loki's, grew colder and the fine line markings of his Jötunn heritage rose to the surface of his skin.

"Loki, McKenna, please step back."

"Eir, what's going on?" McKenna asked.

"Please, I need you to both wait outside."

"Eir?" Loki winced as Selig's hand grew even colder and Eir came around to gently pry it from Loki's grasp.

"Let us work, Loki. Go and wait in the other room."

McKenna looked from him to Eir and back. "What's wrong? What's going on?"

"Please, Your Highness," Tyra's voice was oddly gentle as she came up and slid an arm about McKenna's shoulders to steer her away from the bed, "let us take care of him."

Loki swallowed hard. "It ruptured, didn't it?" Eir nodded and he swore softly beneath his breath as McKenna slipped her arm through his. She resisted, but he tugged a little harder and finally, she stepped back, following him into the next room.

"Loki..."

"It's going to be all right, love," he told her, drawing her into his arms. "He's going to be all right."

She pressed her lips together and squeezed her eyes shut as she drew in a shaky breath. Slowly exhaling, she opened her eyes and they were shiny as she gazed up at him. "What if he isn't? What if his being half-Midgardian makes matters worse? Now it's too late to go back to Midgard and-"

"McKenna," he dropped her arm and gently caught her face in his hands, "Eir is well aware of his heritage and what complications it can cause. Everything is under control."

"Is it? Then why did she shuttle us out here?"

"Because we're his parents and she doesn't need us breathing down her neck, as you would say." He stroked his thumbs gently along her cheekbones. Her eyes grew brighter green, shimmering beneath a veil of unshed tears. "Don't cry, darling girl. There's no need to. He's going to be just fine."

She visibly swallowed and stared up at him for a long moment before slowly nodding. "He better be."

"He will." Loki tilted her face back and brushed his lips over her forehead ever so gently. "He will."

Her eyes closed again as he swept a light kiss against her lips. Then, he slid his arms about her to draw her to his chest. He gave her a gentle squeeze, murmuring, "Everything will be just fine, love. And tomorrow, I promised him a funnel cake."

"Funnel cake?"

"It's what he asked for."

Her chuckle came soft against his chest and he closed his eyes as she slid her arms about his waist to pull him closer. He bent to press his cheek into the top of her head, into the warmth of her sunny hair, and tried like hell not to worry about what was happening on the other side of the closed door.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

237K 7K 26
Loki's mischievous ambitions started to grow to strong for Odin's comfort. To tie Loki down and keep him from wreaking havoc, he arranged a marriage...
137 17 17
Loki has been living with the Avengers in New York since the destruction of Asgard. Waking up one morning, he discovers that all is definitely not as...
3.1K 278 16
Driven by an insatiable yearning for personal happiness, Loki succumbed to the depths of his desires and set in motion a plan to reclaim what he beli...
93.1K 4.1K 36
"do you ever regret meeting me?", he asked quietly. "no, why would i?" "because now, our souls are intertwined, you're linked to me." "loki, if i was...