A Targaryen Game - Aemond x R...

By evvaarq

''Tell me, Uncle, what do you really want? I know you don't mourn my daughter's disappearance willingly.'' Da... More

Before we begin...
Prologue
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
A new book?
I'm falling behind...
IX
X
Thank you for 1k!
XII
Finally an update

XI

142 1 0
By evvaarq

Viselor flies back to Dragonstone, passing through thick cloudbeds and masses of cold air. When I finally see the walls, a dragon approaches. ''Daemera!''

It was Jacaerys. From a distance, Vermax looked bigger than he actually was. He approaches, and I see my nephew gasping for breath. ''Me, Lucerys and Aemond ran into Aegon with Sunfyre and a woman on a smaller dragon. Lucerys and Aemond..''

He pauses for a second, at which point I feel my blood freeze in my veins. Were they all right? What had happened? ''Lucerys and Aemond...? What about them?''

"They keep fighting them. They have greater problems with Aegon, though.''

I relax, then think. It couldn't have been anything but true, since the female-possessed dragon was none other than Shrykos. It was the dragon my nephew, Jaehaerys, was once supposed to tame. Shrykos and Morghul were the only ones, besides Sunfyre, Dreamfyre, and Tessarion, who had just died, that Aegon had in his 'personal dragon arsenal'.

''We can go retrieve Aerena now.''

He says, completely capturing my attention. It was the perfect opportunity. However...I didn't know who Aegon had left in her care, so it could be risky. Jacaerys was still waiting for me to make a decision. But I'm putting all worries and risks aside. All I wanted was to hold my child in my arms and know she was safe, away from my brother's uncontrollable hatred. ''Very well.''

-

Alicent watched the fire in the fireplace, bleary-eyed. She was disappointed, and worried. She had to witness a war in which four of her children were taking part, which could, moreover, threaten the protection, as well as the succession of the entire realm. She lost her authority; since Aegon became king, he began to develop a mind of his own, which did not conform to his mother's thoughts. She was no longer in control of him, and now he was endangering everything she had tried to build.

A child's cry can be heard from a corner. Aerena had just woken from her sleep. Helaena begins to caress her, and then to rock her gently, soothing her. Alicent turned, looking at her eldest daughter. She had a fate full of misfortune.

''How lucky Daemera is...It seems nature and destiny had great plans for her...'' Helaena murmured, covering Aerena's head with the silk she was wrapped in. There was no sense of regret, but an endless amount of sadness. She had had no children, and the ones she had birthed had died young of a simple, simple cold.

''Helaena-'' Her mother tries. The young queen makes an almost audible sound, silencing her. Alicent feels her chest heave. Helaena, like Aegon, pushes her away, isolating herself in her own misery. Unlike her husband, however, she keeps quiet. Aegon takes revenge.

There's some growling outside the door. They both fall silent, staring at the door, which is still closed. Aerena begins to wail again. The big door opened slowly, but no one appeared in the doorway yet. They both waited in dead silence, until Alicent murmured. ''...Ser Arryk?''

-

''Hello, Mother.'' I say, stepping into the room. I look her straight in the eye, my gaze drained of all emotion. I look at Helaena, who is not looking at me. She holds Aerena in her arms, who calms down again.

''You know what I came for.'' I add, turning to my sister. Jacaerys enters as well, tucking his sword back into its sheath.

''Daemera, there is no need for bloodshed.''

''You all started one when you took my daughter hostage. And you said nothing. You kept quiet and watched. You hoped it would have a happy ending, that Aegon might finally wake up to reality, or I could pretend nothing had happened. That's not what parents do. And because of neglect, you lost a son. Daeron is dead.''

I told her what I wanted to tell her from the beginning. Mother's eyes instantly filled with tears, and only then Helaena looked at me, her eyes shocked. Alicent leaned against a chair, looking down at the ground. She couldn't believe it. I simply watched her, with Jacaerys still watching from a corner. I wanted to see her suffer. She wasn't the mother who gave birth to me, who raised me. I could tell the moment she turned me and my siblings against Rhaenyra. I didn't mind seeing her suffer anymore. So I gave her the big news.

"I killed him.''

Alicent lifted her head slightly, looking blankly at me for a few moments, then straight into my eyes. Then, to my surprise, she comes towards me. Quickly, with loud, determined steps. She puts her hands around my neck. For a frail creature like her, she had strength. I don't protest until I feel her begin to strangle me. I put my hands over hers, trying to free myself.

''You- you've caused me nothing but trouble. Yeah. So what? I stood and watched. I lost control of you and felt powerless. I felt powerless watching you destroy the realm in a civil war.'' She begins to raise her voice, amplifying the strength in her hands.

I begin to breathe harder and harder. Jacaerys gives to rise, drawing his sword from its sheath again. But something stopped him from intervening; Rhaenyra had clearly told him and Lucerys not to mess with the enemy's blood. Not when it wasn't necessary. Alicent finally lets me go, pushing me back hard. But I don't fall. I fall into someone else's arms. A knight's, I recognize from the armor. He wore a green cloak; and before I knew it, his sword was leaning against my throat.

''Ser Arryk.'' I breathe, stopping struggling. He says nothing, and we both look at Alicent. He steps back a few feet, approaching the large window that stood open. Jacaerys approaches, ready to finally intervene.

''Stop. If you take another step, you'll see her on the ground, dead,'' She threatened.

I look at her, sad, but irritated. How could my mother, the one who was supposed to love me, end up wanting to kill me? Of course, she couldn't get it right either. She couldn't stain her hands with her daughter's blood. Jacaerys closes his eyes, pausing in place, sword in hand. Aerena begins to cry again. My gaze instantly shifts to her, desperate. My mother rejoices. ''Rather than hurt you, I'd rather hurt her. Mothers live for their children. As I lived for mine.''

She smiles coldly, then continues. ''We're having a fair. You and Aemond surrender to Aegon and sever all ties with Rhaenyra, and Aerena will be left alive. You acknowledge Aegon as your true heir, and may all your sins be forgiven.''

''By whom? By you? By Aegon? Mother, I don't need anyone's forgiveness, especially yours. By allying ourselves with Rhaenyra, we've realized that you're the one behind all the deceit that's happened in the last years at the court. All you wish is to be as close as possible to the Throne and everyone to do as you say. And because we rebelled, we added a stain to your reputation. You hate us now, do you?''

She looks at me, without saying anything. A dragon howl is heard from outside, and then a wing is seen. Everyone sees it, and then it disappears. I start to move again, but my movements are slowed by the blade of the sword moving across my skin. It doesn't cut me, but it causes me discomfort and pain.

''You must make up your mind, Daemera.'' Mother reminds me. Jacaerys looks at me too, helpless. I think he could read my mind. She knew I'd never side with her again. Rhaenyra could offer me a better future.

''I've already made up my mind, Mother. If I thought my children were safe here, I wouldn't have left. Aegon lives in eternal frustration that Jaehaerys has died, leaving him without an heir. Everything would have been so easy if he had named Yaemon his heir. Or Aemond. But his Westeros-sized ego prevented him. You've done it yourself.''

Alicent gestures to Ser Arryk, who takes the sword from my neck, turning it with the tip towards my stomach. His loyalty was to Aegon and Mother. His brother, Ser Erryk, chose to side with Rhaenyra, serving at Dragonstone under Daemon's command. However, his brother held his sword to my stomach. And on my own mother's orders, he would have killed me.

Suddenly, the knight's grip weakens instantly, and I, along with the rest of the room, watch him fall to the ground, unconscious. Behind me, someone puts his dagger back in his belt. I turn around. It was Aemond. I calm down, knowing he's here. We put aside, he and I, all the quarrels we've had, for the common cause we were fighting for: our daughter.

He wraps a hand around my shoulders, kissing my temple. I assure him I'm fine, and we both look to Helaena, who is holding Aerena in her arms by the fireplace. Then we both look at our mother. She glared at us with cold eyes, devoid of any emotion.

''It's over, Mother. You've lost. ''

She just bows her head. Could she have accepted defeat? She had no choice. Aerena began to cry again. We listened quietly, until Helaena stood up, approaching us. Alicent raises her head, confused by her actions.

''I must admit...seeing you with four children...two sons...all healthy and strong...made me envy you sorely, Daemera. And you, Aemond. You've had the blessing Aegon and I never had. I never cared for Jaehaerys to take the throne after Aegon, to become king. Only that he should get to have his children, his dragon, his life. It was not to be.''

Her grief broke my heart. Helaena was harmless. She wanted a normal life, lived among people who thought she was crazy. Even my mother thought that of her, deep down. But it turned out that all the nonsense she was saying was true. Then, to my surprise, she handed me Aerena, who was still crying. I pick her up almost immediately, in a state of shock.

At last I had her in my arms again. She had been kidnapped from birth, held captive by a selfish brother. Now that I felt her crying in my arms, it calmed me in an inexplicable way. I hold her tight to my chest, kissing her forehead.

"Helaena!'' Mother shouts, coming closer. She didn't get to take three steps, because in front of her, sword raised to her neck, was Jacaerys. Aemond beckoned to her, and two guards, brought with him from Dragonstone, took Alicent. She began to scream hysterically.

''No way! I am your mother! You don't even know what you're getting into! I loved you!''

A third guard escorted Helaena in the opposite direction, without firmness. Aemond and I looked at each other. She loved us. She doesn't love us anymore. Aemond kisses the top of her head, proud in his heart that he's got his daughter back. ''Let's go back.''

---

This is the longest one I've made so far, I believe. I searched for any typos, don't think I saw one. Also, I'm thinking about a sequel. Or a different story. I dont know, HoTD and GOT have a special place in my heart.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

324K 11.3K 101
Enemies to Lovers. π—”π—˜π— π—’π—‘π—— 𝗧𝗔π—₯π—šπ—”π—₯π—¬π—˜π—‘ π—™π—”π—‘π—™π—œπ—–π—§π—œπ—’π—‘ ...and she wondered, did they go from lovers to enemies or from enemies to lo...
19.7K 661 32
You became an orphan, niece to the King, you soon find yourself living in the Red Keep, and surrounded with more vipers than dragons. So he betrothed...
119K 4.3K 48
In the bloody realm of Westeros, a dark and dramatic tale unfolds. The young daughter of Prince Daemon Targaryen, burdened with a legacy of power and...
3.5K 135 10
Seventeen years have passed since Robert's rise to the throne, forcing Rhaegar and his kin into exile in Essos. Now, Rhaegar has journeyed back with...