I

I sit leaning against the long leg of the bed, breathing in and out at a brisk pace. I sway from left to right, front to back, trying to get rid of the pain.

The door swung open, and three midwives walked through. They were all middle-aged, except for the third one, who looked very young. Maybe we were the same age. The first two of them had stuffed rags, and the young one was carrying a wooden bucket of steaming water.

''Princess, lie down. Please, we need to find out the stage of the birth.'' The eldest tells me, massaging my shoulders.

Her name was Helda, and she doesn't look as old as she says. She'd attended my other three births, whispering encouragement that really worked.

''I can't... movement helps.'' I mumbled through my gasps. Later, I turn to the youngest.

''You... what's your name?'' I manage to say, stroking my pregnant belly with one hand.

''Ah, my name is Clarisse, Your Highness.''

''And how old are you?''

She seems to hesitate, but answers me stammeringly. ''Eighteen.''

''Look, Clarisse... Don't have children young. If they're not heirs, they're not worth it.'' I say with a wan smile. She returns my smile, nodding shyly.

''Princess, will you-...'' She insists, but is interrupted. I scream, squeezing the foot of the bed between my fingers. Being pregnant, it was too painful.

''Where is Prince Aemond?'' I ask, breathing faster and faster. ''I want him to come now!''

Helda and Clarisse look at each other, and the third storms out of the chamber in search of him.

 Mother decided in a council to betroth Aegon to Helaena, and Aemond to me, in order of birth. Aegon and Helaena married when they were 13 and 15, and Aemond and I were married when we were 15 and 17. In the meantime, Helaena and Aegon had twin children, Jaehaerys and Jaehaera, who died later on and I, so far, have had three children, two boys and a girl. And now, I was at this stage again, pregnant with my fourth.

Not even 10 minutes had passed, when Aemond came into the room in a flurry, coming straight to the bed. The rags were covered in blood, as were my shirt, legs and carpets.

I was sweaty, my hair was sticking to my forehead, and my eyes were almost closed with sleep. I hadn't delivered yet.

''Daemera.'' He said, kneeling on the edge of the bed, taking my hand in his hands.

''Have I ever bled so...much before?'' I breathe heavily, fighting my own eyelids to keep them open.

''It'll pass, and in the end we'll have a beautiful infant.'' He tries to encourage me.

''Princess, it's time to push.'' Helda announces, and my heart beats faster and faster. ''Clarisse, get the hot water rags please.''

It wasn't something I hadn't done before, but the pain induced a feeling of helplessness and suffering. The duration could vary, but at that time you forgot how many babies you had had before, how much it hurt then, or what your name was. It was something that could not be expressed in words.

''Just a little more, come on!'' She says, and I push with all my might. I tighten my grip on Aemond's hand, who doesn't even flinch. He looks towards the midwife, who soon has the baby in her arms.

The other two midwives exhale deeply, waiting for the baby to start crying. It starts, and I lay my head back on my pillow, completely exhausted.

''It's a little girl.'' She announces, and I smile. ''You look just like her, Princess.'' She says, folding her up and cleaning her face. She cries, but calms down when she reaches Aemond's hands.

''Aerena.'' He whispers.

We had long since decided to call her that, but we hadn't paid much attention to the name, since the masters predicted we would have a son. It was the second pregnancy they had predicted wrong. The first pregnancy, when I was under their supervision, I was told I was expecting a girl, but later, at the birth, my first son, Yaemon, was born.

I smile, stroking her cheek with my fingers. Her complexion was a little paler-mediocre, like Aemond's, but her hair blonde, unlinke any of us. She also seemed to have inherited the color of his eyes.

"It's almost identical to you." He says.

Since she looks strikingly similar to me, she also looks a lot like Aemond, since we are brother and sister. However, by all accounts, our sons, Yaemon and Aerys, resemble him, while Yaehaera, resembles me. In a while, however, when Aerena would walk the halls of the castle, the same rumors would be spread about her.

"Long may she live, Princess, Prince Aemond." They bow. "If we are needed again, please let us know." The midwives say, clutching the blood-soaked cloths.

Aemond nods, watching them leave. In their place, through the door, our younger brother, Daeron, enters, followed by Ser Criston.

"Congratulations." Daeron says to us, approaching. Ser Criston bows, nodding solemnly.

"That's why you disappeared so suddenly, I suppose." He begins. "May the Seven Gods have him in their keeping."

"It's a little girl. And her name is Aerena." I say, rocking her.

"Ah, my apologies. The King would like to know about this as soon as possible."

"No, I will only tell him when I think it is appropriate." Aemond says, giving him an icy look.

Ser Criston holds it for a moment, but then nods approvingly.

"As you wish, Prince Aemond. May the Queen Mother be told about this?" Insisted the commander, in a normal tone.

"Most likely the maids told her. But thank you for offering." I smile slyly, knowing Ser Criston understood the tone of the question. It's really nice of him to be Mother's personal servant.

Later, he bows, making himself invisible in the doorway. Daeron remained in his spot, watching us. "I'm an uncle, again." He says, smiling.

"Maybe for the last time." I nod.

"Daeron, please. Keep an eye on Ser Criston. I don't trust him at all. I don't know how loyal he is to Aegon." Aemond tells him, clenching his jaw.

Daeron approves. "Of course. I don't buy it either." He says, disappearing too.