Unwanted (Chicago PD)

By KNeill006

Cassandra Mills hates her family. She's only ever wanted to love them and be close to them but that doesn't r... More

51
Late again
Detention
Near Death
Walls
Glowing
Broken on the floor
Scratches
Tears
Party
The Phone Call
Break in
Stay With Me
Betrayal
Talk To Me
Break Down
Concrete
Celebrations
New Years
Karaoke
Letters
New Family
Court
Panic
Teachers
Trouble
Given up
She's a runner
Its been dropped
Anger
Memories
Clearing things up
Hey, I Guess
Party Time!
One Game
To Family

Crash

1.4K 31 1
By KNeill006

We were in the car like normal, I was clutching onto my Teddy as I stared at all the big skyscrapers.

"It's your turn, Sunflower." Said Dad, that was his nickname for me.

"I spy with my little eye...something beautiful."

"That's a tough one, C." Said my mom as she turned and smiled at me.

"The sky?" Guessed my dad.

"Nope." I said with a small giggle.

"Okay. You?" He asked.

"Nope."

"How about mom?"

"Yay. You got it."

"Aw thank you sweetie. You are beautiful too, C." Said my mom as she smiled at me.

She reached round and grabbed my hand. I reached forward in my booster seat to connect our hands but my finger tips just slipped past hers.

My body was thrown sideways as my mom's head hit the window. The window cracked and my dad was shouting. He was turning the wheel quickly and his feet were moving up and down.

I looked to my side and opened my mouth to scream but nothing came out. A massive truck smacked into the side of us, causing our car to flip and roll and slide until we finally stopped.

My father's head was tilted back and his eyes were open. Maybe he was unconscious or he was just trying to joke and calm me down.

I reached out and shook his shoulder but he didn't move. Next, I reached around and searched for the pulse in his neck.

Mom had taught me some first aid after grandma had passed out one time. She taught me to check for a pulse. Either on the neck or on the wrist. I checked both but there was nothing.

"Swe-etie?" Asked my mom with a slight croak in her voice.

"Mommy? What happened? What's wrong with Papa?"

I sometimes called him Papa when I was worried about him.

He wasn't moving; he was just staring at me with horror filled eyes.

"I need you to take my phone and call 911." Said Mom.

I took her phone and dialed the number, the operator was so lovely and so patient with me.

"Is your mom breathing?"

"Yeah. I'll pass the phone to her."

"Mom?" I asked her as I tapped her arm to get her to face me.

She didn't move.

"Mom?" I asked again as I undid my seat belt and leant forward.

There was broken glass everywhere and people had started to approach the vehicle. Hands were grabbing at the doors and were trying to pry it open.

"Leave! Go away. Don't come in!" I shouted towards them.

"They are trying to help you, Cassie." Said the operator.

"I don't want help! I want my momma!"

"I'm sure she is okay. Can you check for a pulse?"

"But she was breathing earlier. She was talking."

"Can you please just check?"

I reached my shaking hand around and carefully felt for a pulse. My blood ran cold when I realised there was nothing there. I couldn't feel anything.

"Mom! Momma! Papa! Please!" I cried as I tried to shake them awake but it was no use.

"The emergency services are there to help. They'll get you out." Said the operator before she ended the call.

"Hey, little one. Can you tell me you name?"

"Cassandra."

"Hey, Cassandra. I love your name. How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine. Help my mom please."

A blue eyed lieutenant was able to break into the car and pull me out. The Paramedic from earlier crouched down to assess me before giving me the all clear.

"We'll take her to hospital later to get her head checked out." She said.

Two people each helped to get my parents out. I went to get out of my seat but a big guy picked me up in his arms and carried me away from the car.

I clawed at his back, trying to get out of his grip. I just wanted to hug them. I wanted to be with them.

"Momma!" I shouted as they covered her face with a sheet.

"What are you doing? You need to help them!" I cried as I struggled in his grip.

"You're okay. That's all that matters."

"What about them!? What are you doing!" I screamed and screamed until he let me go.

My legs nearly gave out on me as I ran to my parents and collapsed next to them. I pulled the cover off of them to see their pale white faces. Their eyes were open and that's when I realised. They were gone.

They're not coming back.

The guy picked me back up and took me over to an ambulance. He handed me my Teddy and was telling me about a story.

He distracted me from the scene going on around us.

Three others were with us. Two older guys and a much younger guy.

"My kid has a toy just like this one. What's his name?" Hermann asked, he had told me his name earlier.

I'm good with names as well as my describing skills. My mom always said I could be an author one day or maybe even an artist but my drawing skills are awful so I highly doubt the second one.

"Snowy."

"I love that name." He responded.

I wasn't stupid. He was trying to distract me but it worked. It worked for a long time.

I forgot about the crash and my family before Wendy's and Steve's. They were my family; they were my parents. Until they weren't.

"Cassie. Wake up. It's okay." Said Jay as he gently shook me.

"There gone, Jay. T-they died." I sobbed into his chest.

*Jay's Pov*

I woke up around 2am because I heard rustling in the apartment. I thought it was Will but he wasn't home yet and had sent me a message to tell me that he wasn't going to be home until at least 7.

I climbed out of bed and walked towards Cassie's room to hear small whimpers. She was moving around ever so slightly whilst muttering small incoherent sentences.

"Cassie, what's wrong?"

I thought she was awake and that she didn't feel well but she was still asleep.

Cold tears were streaming down her face but they failed to wake her. I tried to get her to wake up but it was no use, she was too involved in her dream or more like nightmare.

Suddenly, she sat up and her eyes roamed around the room with urgency. I pulled her body to mine and held her as she cried.

She mutted the words 'They're gone,' and I soon realised that she was talking about her parents. Something had clicked in her mind and reminded her of what had happened.

It was like she had seen a ghost. Her skin was cold to touch and she looked extremely pasty like she was about to throw up.

"You're okay. Nothing can hurt you. It's just you and me."

"I saw them. I saw the crash. I-It was horrible. There was blood and they were dead and cold. And...and they..."

"I know. Shh. It's okay. Come here." I said as I held her.

She sobbed hard into my chest and didn't stop until she had worn herself out. She finally fell asleep in my arms and I didn't want to move in case I woke her.

I laid down next to her with her head laying on my chest and I ran my hand through her hair. She soon got closer to me and seemed to finally be settling.

When Will got home, he walked into Cassie's bedroom first because he couldn't find me.

"What happened?" He whispered as he took a seat in the chair.

"Bad dream." I responded.

"Of the guys?"

"No, it was the crash. I feel like it was my fault. I took her to the graveyard to see her parent's graves. She didn't go and maybe I brought back those memories."

"Jay, I've studied medicine, okay? You had nothing to do with it."

"How do you know?"

"Stop thinking about it and get some rest. You look exhausted."

"Alright. Night bro."

"Night. Oh before I forget, I spoke to the judge as well as Wendy and Steve."

"And?" I asked as I sat up slightly, ready to hear the news but not too much in case I woke Cassie up.

"They have agreed to let Cassie talk to them but it is to be done at the district in the meeting room. Wendy and Steve will be there but they won't be in the room."

"That's great. Cassie will be pleased. Thank you." I said as he smiled before leaving.

I settled back down and eventually fell asleep with Cassie in my arms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 106 15
Kayla Cole works alone and wants nothing to do with a team. But when Hank Voight gets his way, she's stuck working under his name as much as she want...
210K 2.1K 54
Kelly Severides little sister works as a firefighter at 51. But she finds out that her old flame Jay Halstead works in Chicago as a detective. What h...
49.1K 719 9
Cassandra Mason never had an easy life but she never liked to admit it, between her parents and her fiancé day to day life was rough. Cassandra had b...
38.7K 421 20
Bethany 'Beth' Halstead, the younger sister of Jay and Will and has a very close relationship with both of their brothers. Beth is known to be the fe...