Coming Home (Sequel to This T...

By MiddleEarthPixie

Since the night Loki Odinson crash landed in her apartment, McKenna Carlin's life has gone from ordinary and... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-EIght
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Author's Note

Chapter Forty-Two

498 24 3
By MiddleEarthPixie

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

As Loki burrowed up from under the covers, he stretched, his eyes opening as his hand slid over into empty space. With a low groan, he rolled onto his back, blinking sleep from his eyes as he stared up at the ceiling. He didn't remember the last time he'd slept so soundly—quite possibly not since the first night he slept beside McKenna at the Winchester, long before Selig arrived. Since the children, Loki had become accustomed to waking with the slightest of sounds. Not quite as sensitive to them as McKenna, perhaps, but more often than not, when a baby cried, he woke up along with McKenna.

Rubbing his eyes with one hand, he smiled as his foot brushed his boxer briefs, buried down at the foot of the bed. He and McKenna fell asleep tangled up in each other, clothing be damned. Maybe that was why he'd slept so soundly. Either way, it was one of the nicer ways to greet a new day.

The sun shone in through the windows, spilling across the carpet, and the house was quiet. McKenna was up somewhere, but from the sounds of it the children remained abed. Rare, but it did happen from time to time.

He stretched to hook his foot in the leg of those briefs, tugging them up from the foot of the bed, and wadded them to toss into the laundry basket. A flick of his fingers to close the door and make sure it was locked, and he rose to cross to the dresser.

A quick shower and he dressed in jeans and a long-sleeved tee shirt, tugged on a pair of somewhat battered Ariat Heritage cowboy boots—a gift from McKenna, who joked about him being the only Jötunn cowboy she knew—and then left the room to go check on the children.

Selig's room was empty, his bed rumpled, but empty. Aislinn and the twins were still asleep. As quietly as he could, he tugged blankets up and brushed foreheads with light kisses, and then went below.

The television was on and he paused in the wide doorway of the family room, leaning his shoulder against the molding. He didn't recognize the cartoon flickering across the screen, but smiled at the sight of McKenna and Selig, stretched out on the sofa, both sound asleep.

He moved around to the back of the sofa, where he lifted the pink and black crocheted afghan, and unfolded it to drape over them. Selig sighed in his sleep, snuggling closer to his mother. Leaning against the back of the sofa, Loki gazed down at them both. McKenna smiled in her sleep, and he wondered if she was dreaming.

Asleep, stress of the last few months fell away from her face, and it took every bit of will Loki possessed to not trace the smooth curve of her cheek, to stroke her hair away from her forehead.

He smiled. She feared he'd look at her differently because of the other night but she should only know how wrong she was, how much he enjoyed that night. There was nothing she could suggest, nothing she could whisper to him in the darkness of their bedroom, that would, as she kept phrasing it, freak him out, and he wanted to drive that point home to her. If anything, it made him want her even more.

As if she sensed being watched, McKenna slowly opened her eyes, blinking the sleep from them, and a grin played at her lips as she whispered, "Am I awake? I was just dreaming about you..."

He reached over to brush her hair away from her forehead. "I hope it was a nice dream."

"Very." She carefully untangled herself from Selig and eased away from the sofa to stand. "I was dreaming about the other night."

Judging by the delicate flush that rose along her cheekbones, she meant the night she'd bound and blindfolded him and that made him smile again. "Do tell?"

She yawned and nodded, rubbing one eye. "It was a nice dream."

Moving around the sofa, he followed her out of the family room and into the kitchen. "It was a wonderful night, love. But what are you doing down here?"

She padded over to the Keurig and hit the power button. "I don't know. I just woke up."

The slight hesitation made him frown as he leaned against the counter and folded his arms over his chest. "McKenna?"

The coffee drawer rolled open smoothly and she plucked a cinnamon coffee cup from the row before sighing. "Okay, I had a nightmare."

He watched her slip the cup into the machine, take down a coffee mug to position under the spout and when she didn't elaborate, he asked, "About?"

She gave him a long look and he bit back a sigh. Why did he ask? He already knew. "Did Selig have a nightmare as well?"

Another yawn and as her cup filled, she shook her head. "No. I had to check on them and when I looked in on him, he was half out of the covers, so I tucked him back in. I woke him in the process."

As she turned away from him to take her cup off the machine, he stepped up to her and eased his arms about her waist. She relaxed against him, her head coming back to rest against his chest, and her eyes closed as she murmured, "He scared the hell out of me. I didn't know he'd gotten up and I was in here, making some hot cocoa when I heard someone moving around."

He kissed the top of her head. "And?"

"I got my icer and almost zapped him. He'd come downstairs without my knowing it."

Gently squeezing her, he murmured, "But you didn't."

"Loki, what if I'd had my gun?"

"That's why it's kept locked away."

"I know, but—" Her eyes closed and she shook her head. "Still..."

"No, love, don't do that." He tightened his arms about her and kissed the top of her head. "He's fine. You're fine."

McKenna set the cup on the counter and turned in his arms and as she gazed up at him, with those beautiful green eyes, he felt himself falling in love with her all over again. Without thinking, he caught her face in his hands, tilted her head back, and bent to cover her lips with his.

He meant it to be only a light, gentle kiss, but her arms slid about his waist, her lips parted and he groaned softly as her tongue met his. She pressed into him, her hands flat against his back, tugging him closer still, and when she slowly broke the kiss, he found his breath very hard to catch.

"How do you do that?" he whispered, sweeping his lips across her left temple.

She tucked her head against his chest. "Do what?"

"Make me want you with something as simple as a kiss."

She didn't look up, but he heard the smile in her voice as she replied, "Because I'm good, love. I'm that good."

He chuckled, kissing the top of her head once more. "Aren't you supposed to say something like, 'because you make me want you just as much' or something like that?"

"Well, you do... but since there are four sleeping children who will be awake at any moment..."

"Little troublemakers."

It was her turn to laugh and this time, she did lift her head. "Another week or two and then we can take them back to Asgard and get away, just the two of us."

"You have no idea how much I look forward to that," he told her.

"You and me both."

"Can I have breakfast?"

Loki and McKenna both turned at the same time as Selig came into the kitchen and Loki moved away from McKenna to scoop Selig up. He still looked exhausted, rubbing puffy eyes with both fists. "You look as if you could sleep the entire day away, little man."

Selig yawned, his head coming to rest against Loki's shoulder. "My tummy hurts."

"What do you want for breakfast?" Loki asked as McKenna doctored her coffee and moved to the kitchen table.

"I don't know."

"Well, I can't fix I don't know for you, Sel. I need a little more to go on." Loki held him away and frowned. Selig's pale skin had a hint of green about it. "Are you all right, little man?"

Selig shook his head. "I don't—" His eyes widened in horror and he wriggled away from Loki, saying, "I think I'm gonna throw up, Daddy..."

He hit the floor and bolted toward the half bath just beyond the basement door and Loki winced at the splash that followed. McKenna started to rise from her chair, but he held up a hand. "I've got him."

Bracing himself, Loki moved to the bathroom doorway. Thankfully, Selig had made it to the toilet, but now, dry heaves wracked through his little body and he was crying. Loki sank to his knees alongside his son, rubbing Selig's back as he murmured, "It's all right, little man. It's all right."

"I'm sorry, Daddy..."

"Sorry? For being sick? One cannot help being sick," he replied, stretching for the towel on the rack behind him. He slid it down and used it to wipe Selig's mouth, then set it on the counter. "Would you like a glass of water?"

He nodded but before Loki could get it, Selig hunched over the bowl again, coughing and gagging and crying all at the same time. "Easy, little man," he whispered, rubbing his back again with one hand as he swished his free hand to make a cup of water appear on the counter.

Selig sank to his knees on the floor, his body going limp. He was ghostly white, sweat beading his upper lip and dampening the curls at his temples. Loki carefully gathered him in his arms and rose, cradling his son against his chest. "Sip this, little man." He flicked his fingers and the water became ginger ale and he held the cup to Selig's lips.

Selig took only the tiniest of sips before sinking back into his father's shoulder. As he did, his eyes closed and he murmured, "Tired..."

"I think we'll skip breakfast," Loki told him, flicking his forefinger at the toilet to make it flush. He carried Selig out of the bathroom, where McKenna stood outside the door.

"I've already turned down his bed," she said, reaching up to ruffle Selig's hair gently and then stretched to brush her lips along his cheek. "I'll take him."

"I'll do it, love. It's easier for me to carry him." He winked at her and carried Selig up to his room.

As he set him in bed, Selig let out a small cry. "Ow! Not so hard, Daddy."

"I barely set you down, Sel." Loki frowned as he bent to rest the back of his hand against Selig's forehead. Hot. "Where does Mommy keep the thermometer?"

"I don't know," Selig replied grouchily.

Instead of going in search of it, Loki swished his hand and a thermometer appeared in his palm. "Keep it under your tongue, Sel."

Selig scowled, but did as he was told and Loki waited until it beeped to pull it free. "One hundred one. I think we need to bring you to Eir, little man."

Sinking back into his pillows, Selig let out a soft sigh. "My tummy really hurts, Daddy."

McKenna appeared in the doorway. "How is he?"

"He's running a fever and his stomach hurts."

"Where does it hurt, little man?" McKenna came into the room and gingerly sank onto the edge of Selig's bed.

"All over, but mostly here." His hand came to rest above his right hip.

McKenna covered his hand with hers. "Does it hurt when I press?"

"OW!" Selig bent almost in half and began crying. "Mommy!"

"I'm sorry, baby. I didn't mean to press so hard." McKenna smoothed a hand over his hair and as she looked up at Loki, her eyes were concerned. "It might be his appendix. Can Eir remove it?"

"My what?"

"Your appendix, sweetie. It isn't a big deal and you'll feel a lot better when it's gone. I promise."

Loki nodded. "I think so." He waited for her to rise and when she did, he bent and carefully gathered Selig in his arms. "I'll take him to Asgard and I'll let you know what she says."

"Okay." McKenna reached up to ruffle Selig's dark hair. "I'll be there as soon as I can get the others ready, love. Okay?"

Selig nodded. "Okay, Mommy."

Loki gave him a gentle squeeze. "No need to look frightened, little man. Everything is going to be just fine."

Selig nodded, nestling his head against Loki's chest. He looked so small, so fragile, in his arms and without thinking, Loki tightened his hold on him. To McKenna, he said, "Take your time. He'll be in good hands."

She smiled as she caught him by the elbow and pushed up to brush her lips across his cheek. "I know. He's with you. He's already in the best hands I can think of."

He winked at her and carried Selig out of the room. Selig whimpered softly against him. "Careful, Daddy."

"I'm sorry, little man, but unlike Unca Thor, I cannot fly. I have to walk." Loki wiggled his fingers and the French doors off the kitchen opened. By the time he reached the Bifrost site, Selig was dozing against him, and he didn't stir even as Loki called, "Heimdall, I need you to open the bridge!"

The familiar hook snagged him and Loki tightened his hold on Selig as Midgard vanished in the familiar blur of rainbow light.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.3K 1.5K 27
You are the newest, and youngest, member of the Avengers. You love being on the team, but it comes with its challenges. Almost every night you find y...
217K 6.3K 43
Loki x Reader You live with the avengers. One day Thor will take you all to the Asgard. There you'll meet someone who changes your life. But soon aft...
57.9K 2.5K 138
Book One in the Series 18+ Readers Only. This is marked as mature and rightfully so. No one under 18. Currently uploaded at least once a week every w...
1.1K 88 20
Use to be called - Emotionless? Have to Be _____________ What would Loki's life be like if he held on to the staff instead of letting go to fall into...