Where Promises Must Glide

By lia_fics002

"Remember all the nice stuff I said to you, Jules?" I ask, pulling out breathlessly from the kiss. She nods h... More

01 - Juliette
02 - Theo
03 - Juliette
05 - Theo
06 - Juliette
07 - Juliette / Theo
08 - Juliette
09 - Theo
10 - Juliette
11 - Theo/Juliette
12 - Juliette
13 - Theo
14 - Juliette
15 - Juliette
16 - Theo
17 - Juliette/Theo
18 - Theo/Juliette
19 - Juliette
20 - Theo/Juliette
21 - Theo
22 - Juliette
23 - Theo
24 - Juliette
25 - Theo
Playlists
26 - Juliette
27 - Theo / Juliette
28 - Theo
29 - Juliette/Theo
30 - Theo
31 - Juliette
32 - Theo
33 - Juliette
34 - Theo
35 - Juliette
36 - Juliette
37 - Theo
38 - Juliette

04 - Juliette

2.5K 63 3
By lia_fics002

Enjoy Cuties <33

Competition days are always rough. Especially since Steph decided to surprise me with the fact that I wasn't competing in a small competition, but state championship for Virginia. I was extremely nervous when we arrived to the arena that my leg wouldn't stop shaking.

The worst part is I don't have my favorite supporter in the stands cheering me one. I realize how attached I am to Ophelia, but she always finds a way to put a smile on my face.

When Ophelia got a little older to last longer in the loud stadiums—even though she still wears her earmuffs during large events—she always sat with my mom and would be cheering with a huge homemade poster with scribbles all around it in every glitter pen we owned and her personal touch; three green handprints.

Because my favorite color—to her—is green.

It actually is violet, but I never wanted to tell her the truth. I like that she believes I love green ever since she saw me perform in a green dress and always believed it was my lucky—and favorite—color.

I was listening to the call times as they were being announced, seeing when I needed to be on the sidelines before it was my turn. Usually, I was nervous, but my ego was a little higher when I realized the competition was full of people a little below intermediate. I, was higher than all of them, and had a lot of confidence. But some of them were amazing, like really good.

Even though my ego was high, I still had a slight doubt. It's normal, you have confidence but the little voice in the background is still yelling that you shouldn't get so cocky too quickly.

So I instead, filtered my thoughts with the texts my mom was sending—updating me on her and Ophelia's actives. First she texted me when she told me she took Philly to the mall, then asked if it was ok if she bought her those fake extension clips.

The ones that always had a little star or unicorn on it. I was strict with the toys and stuff people buy for her, just wanting to make sure it won't end up in the trash or somewhere scattered around the floor. But I already knew Ophelia liked doing cute designs with her hair, so I told my mom it was more than ok to get her the clips.

We continued to text, just asking how's Ophelia—because when I left this morning she was a little sad and didn't want me to go.

"Jules, your up next," my coach came over to me, patting me on the shoulder as I walked past her to the sidelines where I wait for the next girl to finish.

The girl that's skating right now seemed to be the only competition I had. She was amazing, like everyone else, but she had this special flair in everything she did. Her hands always moved with poise and grace, along with her legs that were always straight during the perfect times.

It was impressive some of the tricks she was doing, and I had to say that because I could appreciate a good skater when I see one.

Her song ended, a sonata by Mozart—one I actually have done in the past—and it was my turn. I waited for the clapping to end, and for them to finish all the announcements before my name was introduced.

"Representing the Richmond FSC, Juliette Abridge," the announcer presented, a stream of clapping, as I entered the rink.

The lights in the small arena got dark—preparing for my start. My short white dress, and snowflake stockings that stood still while my arms were in the air, crossed like two swans, back arched slightly.

The piano of the music began to start, slowly light voices played in the background of the sad French song I was skating too. It was one of my favorite, one I listened to every time I was pregnant with Ophelia, sad and confused—so I listened to a sad song in a confusing language.

My feet began to glide and I felt euphoric. When my feet begin to drift on the ice, listening to the silence of the crowd, soft echos of voices in the background of the piano, and the ice begin break lightly between the thin blades.

Whenever I am skating I am in a moment. Everything around me is illegitimate, except for the ice against my skates and me. I am floating, enraptured, intoxicated in the moment.

This two minutes are probably the fastest and best of my life, where it's just me and a rush of adrenaline. Axels, and jumps and leaps. Scorpions and spins. All of them combined in a high of a performance.

I did the hardest trick I knew during this performance, spinning in the air like I was a free bird, like gravity forgot about me. A roar of yelling happened, but i was still in such a rush of emotions it was tuned out behind my mind that was on autopilot as I glided across the ice.

I felt my body still, and everything comes back to me. The crowd, the sound of people clapping, my coach on the sidelines yelling and cheering. My breathing was heavy, my body no longer so light weight. I'm no longer floating.

>>><<<

"Second runner up. . . Agyei Osei," a loud roar of cheering from the audience. It was the woman who I was looking at—the one who performed right before me.

The day was so long, after I finished, I had to wait an extra 2 hours for everyone else to finish there performances. It was now night time, and they were finally announcing the scores.

My hands were interlocked with Steph's, while my headphones were connected onto my phone, having Ophelia and my mom at the other end. Usually, I'm not allowed to do this, but I don't care. I want them to hear the score. My dad was on a second line, also listening as they announced the first place winner.

"And our first place winner, and Vermont state ice skating champ. . . ." The anticipation was killing me.

I was expecting to at least get top three, but now that I didn't place second, I probably didn't place at all. My heart began to pound as I heard the soft breathing of Ophelia as I could imagine her eyes scrunched and fist clenched as she waited.

"Juliette Abridge from Richmond FSC!" The announcer yelled. The shock wore off almost instantly once the blaring in my ears became prominent. Steph was on her feet, hugging me in joy, my parents and Ophelia were cheering and clapping at the other end of my headphones—which was not the kindest noise to my ears.

I went over to the 1st place spot at the podium, while they medaled me, also handing me flowers. The two other girls smiled at me, and even though I have been to the Olympics once before, it was still so cool when you won.

We had to take a few photos before I was escorted back to Steph—who finally took me back to the hotel room we rented for the night. A part of me wanted to make the three hour drive back, but it was extremely late and I have been up since 4 am, so I just crashed the second my body made contact with the comfortable bed.

>>><<<

"Good morning Jules," Steph said, opening the door to the room. We both got one hotel room because it wasn't worth it buying separate ones. Steph was holding the key card that opened our room, and a plate of breakfast.

"Ooo," I cooed at the sight of food. I was starving and in need of anything greasy and not healthy for you. She had a stack of pancakes and butter packets in one jacket pocket, and syrup in the other.

She set down the plates on the table, pulling up two random chairs for us to sit on. I got out of bed, in a random pair of sweats and my warmup jacket that I forgot to take off from the night. I quickly went to the bathroom, wiping off whatever makeup I forgot and thankful that my hair was already taken out the night before.

I went back to Steph who was already digging into her plate of eggs, bacon, and potatoes. She slide the pancakes that also had a side of eggs and potatoes—no bacon since I don't eat pork. "Thanks," I muster out before I kill the stack.

"Slow down, Jules. Don't want a stomach ache," she said through a mouthful of eggs. I laughed, just satisfied at the delicious hotel breakfast. I don't know what it is about hotel food, but it's always a little better and worth waking up at 6 am for.

"Just excited to get home," is all I reply, too eager to finish my food, shower, and go home to my favorite little human—and secretly my mystery neighbor.

"Well once you can leave whenever you want, I'm going to stay a little longer to talk to some of the recruiters who asked for a meeting yesterday after the amazing victory.

I smiled because if I got in contact with someone in high power, they might secure me another spot on the US team for the Olympics. "Sounds good," I give her a thumbs up, cleaning the last bites off my plate, practically wanting to lick the syrup and oddly luke-warm butter.

Once done, I showered and got all the gel out of my hair which took way longer than necessary. But I got it all done, and now I was packed and out of the room by 8 am, with time to spare and grab another cup of coffee—even though Steph got me one with breakfast.

I texted my mom, telling her I was on hitting the road and going to be there in three hours. So excited, with my extra caffeinated latte, I got onto the Highway and headed home.

A little wholesome chapter before I start getting into more of the contact between Theo and Juliette and drama!!!!
Tell me how your loving the story and characters and feel free to comment opinions!!!
As always, much appreciation to all those supporting and voting and adding to reading lists, y'all make my world! 🫶

And ofc don't forget to VOTE!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118K 1.8K 34
16 year old free skater Sophie Bellerose, takes a leap of faith in a lottery ticket attempt. After crossing out all winning numbers, she claims five...
6.7K 528 20
Alina: I've been playing the part of the picture-perfect daughter for years. My whole life has been planned for me since I was born and I was groomed...
636K 19.2K 42
𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐬 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐛𝐲 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭 Valentina Vitale is the most popular CEO in London. She's nicknamed the 'She Devil' of London, M...
70.7K 1K 42
"What's your name?" His tattooed fingers tapped my knee, his tone was flatter and more insistent this time, I swallowed hard. "Juliette Larson," I wa...