Behind Closed Doors

By writingandcryinglol

College is supposed to be about nothing but partying and preparing you for the rest of your life, right? Meet... More

01 - Good Morning to you, too
02 - alter ego
03 - oh, yeah?
04 - don't say that
05 - i got you.
06 - what the fuck?
07 - friends?
08 - fuck off.
09 - play prentend
10 - something's missing
11 - you're to blame
12 - Love is..
13 - pain.
14 - denial
15 - get out.
17 - peace
18 - oh.
19 - reminiscence
20 - it's okay.
21 - hm
22 - okay?
23 - remember?
24 - hi!!
25 - lyss...
26 - ah
27 - shush.
28 - Zo
29 - Nat
30 - best of both worlds
31 - oh, honey
32 - finally!
33 - Us
34 - made it.
35 - epilogue

16 - thank god.

2.3K 61 4
By writingandcryinglol

Hazel's POV:

"You did physical activity, didn't you?" The same doctor from a week ago says, coming in.

"I threw my phone at the TV. Um.. so if that's physical activity, then yes!"

"You tore your incision not only in your outer layer, but your liver too! That's that pain you felt. It wasn't pretty I'm sure there's blood on your floor."

"Probably," I say.

"I forgot to tell you.. um I'm gonna give you this pamphlet. It has.. therapists that can help with trauma. And post traumatic stress disorder."

"Oh okay." He hands it to me.

"Thanks. My mother just said she's glad my dad died. And that she didn't want me but I don't care about that. I know I'm wanted."

"Someone did their daily affirmations." I laugh. Then hiss in pain.

"Okay. So really, no heavy lifting. No physical activity. Keep your heartbeat down. Kick your mother out. Lay on the couch and stay there for 3-4 weeks. Online school. I better only see you here if you're a patient, and that better not happen."

"Sir yes sir. Intern? Attending?"

"Fellow." I nod.

"I like you. What's your name?"

"Liam." Liam has dark brown hair. Blue eyes, and stubble on his face. He's muscular and wears a wedding band.

"Who's the girl?" I ask.

"Oh- um.. I have a husband."

"Oh shit!" I raise my hand to high five him. He laughs.

"Liam. Liiiiam."

"You're high. Go to sleep, Hazel. You'll be discharged when you wake up because.. this hospital sucks," he mutters. I laugh.

"I wanna go to California," I whisper.

"Me too." I nod.

"We're smart, Liam. Where's Natty? And Katty?" I giggle.

"They're in physical therapy. Once Katerina felt your heartbeat and knew you were alive she agreed." I smile.

"Can you take me to see her?" I whisper.

"I can. Let me get a wheelchair." He returns with one. And then gets me in it. We get in the elevator.

"Liam?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Did someone close to you die? Is that why you chose this profession?"

"No. I chose this profession for the money. I wanted to get as far away from my house as possible."

"I wish I did that. I kept forgiving my mother and then she hurt my spleen."

"Liver."

"Liver. Right." We go into Kat's room. Her therapist, Nat, and her look at me.

"Hazel!" She says. She's on a treadmill with some freaky things my brain can't comprehend at the moment.

"Hi Kat," I say.
"You're doing so good baby. I'm so proud of you." She looks at her legs, then me.

"I want to hug you," she says. Her therapist stops the treadmill and takes the equipment off. She holds her up, and I roll over and take her into my arms.

She buries her head into my chest, and I hold her head.

"Liam?" I ask him.

"Yes?" He asks me.

"Can you give me another one of those pamphlets but for children?"

"Yeah! Of course!"

"Thanks." I stroke her hair.

"Mom looked like she got really mad at you. I couldn't read your guys lips, though. There was too much going on."

"She did get really mad at me. And she said some hurtful things about daddy and I got really mad at her."

"I don't want her to come back I don't like her."

"She's not gonna come back, baby. And if she does I will fight like hell to keep you." I hold her tighter.

"I just wanted to stop in. I'm sleepy, baby. You can come to my room when you're done, yeah?" She nods. Her therapist takes her and smiles at me. I return it and then hug Natalia.

"Thanks for sticking in with her," I say. She nods and kisses my hand.

"Don't thank me," she whispers. Liam wheels me out.

"Did your mom hit her?"

"No. She's not mine, she's my sister. She just.. the way she screamed when I fell to the floor.. it wasn't normal. She kept saying "I don't want you to die!" And to me that's the start of childhood anxiety. I don't want that for her."

"You're such a good sister, Hazel."

"Can you push potassium?"

"No, Hazel."

"Please. Please I wanna see my dad! Okay- look I'm gonna tell you something Liam."

"What?"

"My dad said whenever there's anything penguin related around, it's him hugging me. Cause I loved his hugs," I whisper the last sentence.

"And.. my mom said she was glad he was dead. And.. when she walked out-" my voice breaks. "A penguin documentary came on. And I threw my phone with all my force at it," I whisper.

"And I feel so bad!" We get off the elevator.

"Dr. Liam!!" A little kid says.

"Look! It's a penguin stuffed animal! It's my favorite!" I stare at the little boy. And I start to sob.

"Oh, wow! That's so cool buddy! I have to get her to her room, okay? But I'll come see you and talk about it later!" He gets me into my room. I crawl into my bed and sob harder.

"Stop crying. Stop crying, Hazel. You're gonna rip your stitches again."

"Good!" I shout.

"Okay. Okay stop. Shh." He hooks the monitor up to me again.
"It's a good thing that you saw that penguin, Hazel. Shh Shh. Stop," he whispers, rubbing my back. I face him.

"It was clearly for a reason," he says. I look up at him. He wipes my tears.

"I'm so touch deprived," I whisper. "Don't do that. My girlfriend and I are on complete opposite schedules right now."

He sits down in the chair and grabs my hand.

"Go to sleep, Haze."

"Okay. I'm high aren't I?" He nods.

"Liam?" I whisper.

"Hm?"

"You remind me of my father," I whisper, before falling asleep. I wake up to the doctor by my side. He's holding my hand.

"Hey," I whisper.
"What happened?" He opens his eyes.

"Why.. what happened?" I motion to our hands.

"You.. explained to me what happened with your mom and the TV. And then you started crying because you felt bad. Because of your dad. You explained that too."

"And then you saw a kid with a penguin stuffed animal and you lost it. And you said remind you of your father."

"Did they stop my morphine drip?"

"Yes. I did when you fell asleep. You can actually go now, if you want."

"Yeah. Please I'd like that," I whisper. He nods and brings me the papers. I sign them and stand up.

"Nat brought you clothes." I go into the bathroom and I change into sweats and a girl in red tee shirt.

I walk out and put on my shoes, and then grab my phone.

"Here's those pamphlets you wanted to. With the therapists for you and your sister."

"Thanks.."

"Liam."

"Liam! Thanks!" I smile up at him.
"Um.. do you work tonight?" He nods.

"Can you check in on Talia? Please?" He nods.

"She's gonna be asleep when I get home. I already cut into her sleeping time."

"I'm sure she won't mind, honey." I nod.

"Lyss is here. She's my roommate. Thanks again Liam." I walk out and take the elevator down to the exit. I get into Alyssa's car.

"House is clean. Kat is asleep, and so is Nat. You didn't break the Tv, either. She works," she says. "We'll talk when you're more mentally stable, baby."

"Yeah. Um.. that'd be great!" We laugh.

"I can't believe they put Nat on the night shift knowing we just got together. We haven't even had sex yet."

"You're in the mood for sex? With everything that's- you know what valid. Let me shut up."

"Yes. I need her! Ahh! Well.. okay knowing my dad can see me is weird as fuck. But. He'd look away!"

"His spidy senses would go off." I laugh.

"Oh look Haze! There's a penguin on that guys license plate!"

A/N - 5:57 am. I'm.. so fucking hungry I want food but EVERYONE is asleep. And I'm not choosing to risk that. Thanks.

I love you!!💜💜

I love reading my future author's notes because she and I are in two very different worlds rn. Like- I'm back at school again and not over winter break. There's probably gonna be a merry Christmas somewhere in these next chapters.

Anyway. I love you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.6K 441 21
This is not very basic but terrible written story. In this love triangle bad guy gets the girl. Basically, it's about poor girl who makes a deal wit...
7.4M 216K 78
To start over. That's what Alex Rose needed, after that night. That's what drove her out of her home in London, to New York, halfway across the wor...
1M 36.1K 42
#1 in Teen Fiction - 26.03.2020 #10 in Romance - 04.10.2020 #1 in Unrequited - 21.02.2020 #1 in LoveTriangle - 01.01.2020 # 14 in Angst - 20.20.2020 ...
458 121 34
Heart-breaker Rules Rule # 1 You've got to have fun, but when you're done you've got to be the first to run. Rule # 2 Don't get too attached to s...