His Only Hope

By Imagine_being_cool

The third book to the Five Hargreeves x Fem Reader series. This takes place during the third season of the Um... More

Faceclaims
Meet the... Other Family
Hotel Obsidian
Scars
Oliver Hargreeves
Perfectly Acceptable
Ball of Twine
After the World Falls Apart
Innocence
What's at Stake
Heavens to Betsy
The Enemy
Our Weirdo Family
Give or Take
The Blame Game
Inferior
Champagne and Success
Conscientious Objection
Kill Me
Bachelorette... and Ben
Give or Take
Old Dogs
Just Some Fan Art
Mr. Sadness
All I Ever Wanted
Cliffhanger
Hangover
Beginning of the End
Intermission
Dead Even
Too Late
Window
Don't Ring the Bell
Find the Sigil
The Games Begin
End of the World: Take Three
Found the Sigil
Seventh Star
Hargreeves
Deceived
Bread Aisle
Focus
The End

A Deal's a Deal

972 21 28
By Imagine_being_cool

Five's POV

"We should've given them Harlan," Luther muttered.

"Luther," Viktor protested softly as Diego frowned.

"What about Harlan?" The atmosphere turned tense, and Viktor and Luther locked eyes for a moment before the latter spoke.

"The Sparrows said if we turned him over we could end the fighting. And then work together to save the world! But, if we didn't, then-"

"We tried to make peace," Viktor cut in. "Okay? And they kidnapped you and held you hostage. Not to mention, the other half of their deal was Eight. Who here is willing to hand her over?" He looked around at the group expectantly as Five straightened up, his brow furrowed.

"What about Eight?"

Viktor awkwardly opened and shut his mouth, not meeting Five's eyes.

"Viktor, now is not the time to stall."

"The Sparrows want us to give her up so that they aren't afraid of us anymore. That's not how they worded it, but... they know she's powerful. And they either want her on their side or captured so she can't hurt them. They won't trust us otherwise."

Five tensed his jaw, placing his palms flat against the bar counter and leaning across the table so that him and Viktor were nose to nose.

"Who knows about this?" His tone was tight and forced, his eyes never leaving Viktor's.

"Just me, Luther, and... Eight. Shit."

"I shouldn't have let her leave," Five muttered, straightening his jacked before flashing away.

...

Your POV

A few minutes after leaving, you stood in front of the Sparrow Academy, your hands clenched at your sides. The midday air felt fresh on your face, carrying a scent of roses from the nearby garden.

It didn't comfort you as Ben stepped out onto the steps, eyeing you with suspicion and hatred.

"So, you expect me to believe that you're walking right into our trap?" he sneered, glaring down at you. You sighed, squinting against the bright blue sky.

"I wasn't aware this was a trap. I'm doing this for my family."

He exaggerated looking to either side of you.

"Where's the old man?" he demanded.

You pursed your lips.

"This is the best it's gonna get. I'm sorry," you said, partially meaning it. Even just looking at Ben made you want to wrap him up in a big hug, even though...

Whatever.

"A deal's a deal," he responded, narrowing his eyes at you.

"Listen, if you'd just hear us out-"

"Hear you out? You killed two of our siblings."

"That was Harlan!" you protested.

"Who you conveniently refuse to bring to us." He strode down the stairs, tilting his head at you. "But you'll do. For now."

"I need your word that you won't hurt my siblings," you said quickly. "Or I swear to God, I'll kill all of you."

He chuckled darkly, rolling his eyes.

"You say that like it's possible." Within seconds, he had you lifted in the air in one of his tentacles. You gasped, pushing against it. You couldn't use your force field when he was this close to you. "Perhaps with the support of your siblings, you can amount to something. But on your own? You're helpless."

Out of nowhere, a cloth tightened around his neck, and he released you with a grunt. You recognized it to be a tie once you got your bearings.

Behind him stood Five, his hair in his face as he cut off Ben's air. He swung in the air wildly with his tentacles for a few moments, and then Diego and Viktor, along with Luther, appeared in the yard.

"Wanna try that again, pal?" Five asked breathlessly, his voice dark, before releasing Ben. You trapped him in a forcefield before he could attack Five with his tentacles.

"You all right?" Five asked you at the same time Diego asked what the hell you were doing.

"Yeah, and I know what I'm doing," you said quickly. "If we want to work together, we have to be together, all right? I've got this under control."

"Sure looked like it," Five scoffed, and you glared at him.

"He wouldn't have actually hurt me, okay? I've got this."

Suddenly, the girl with sunglasses, Oliver, Christopher, and Sloane came outside. 

"Let our brother go," the girl who's name you didn't know demanded, raising her arms. You'd seen her do that once before - when she'd released her crows.

"Fei, stand down," Oliver said, raising a hand to stop her.

"Big words coming from you, Number Eight," Fei replied smoothly. "You heard what I said. Let him go or we'll kill all of you."

You did as she asked after hesitating a moment longer, and Ben grabbed your arm, wrenching you toward the steps. Five moved to spatial jump to your side, furious, but you formed a shield around you and Ben, not leaving enough space for him to flash inside. Him and Diego stood helplessly outside.

"What the hell, Eight?" Five called, his expression almost... scared.

"I've got this," you said smoothly. "Trust me. We'll be working together in no time. I know this is difficult, but-" You glared up at Ben as he jerked you inside the house. "You have to let me do this!"

The door slammed shut. The lock clicked as Fei twisted it.

"Brilliant," she muttered. "Now we're stuck with her."

There was a brief pounding on the door, shouts of 'let me in, you fucking cowards!' from Diego, and then silence. You realized with relief that Five trusted you enough to let you do this - he hadn't spatial jumped inside. Still, you remembered the tense, angry look on his face. 

"Time for you to answer some questions," Ben sneered, gesturing to the couch. "Please. Sit."

...

After hours of questioning you, in which Sloane slipped away, you noticed Oliver was wearing your locket, and Fei studied your face through her dark glasses, Ben allowed you to go.

"I'll take her to her room," Fei volunteered, and as you stepped into the hall, you saw Luther and Sloane creeping through the house.

"Luther?" you asked, wide-eyed, at the same time Ben called Sloane's name. They both froze, expressions of sheepishness plastered on their faces.

"We're just-"

"Yeah, that's-"

"It's crazy seeing you, because-"

"Quiet!" Ben barked, tilting his head and studying Luther. "Fei, take the Dud to her room. I've got this."

"If you hurt him-" you spit, ignoring the use of your code name.

"Come on," Fei interrupted, dragging you away.

"Believe me, I don't mean to hurt him," Ben said with a small smile, but for some reason, it didn't seem menacing. Luther met your eyes, an apology reflected in them.

Whatever, you found yourself thinking dryly as Fei led you upstairs, through oddly familiar halls. I'll be dead pretty soon, anyway.

"Here's your room," she said, opening the creaky door and looking around with distaste. "One of the extras. We still have some spare uniforms from when we were younger that will fit you in the closet. Goodnight."

"Wait," you started, biting your lip. "Do you need Harlan? Can't we just... get along? Otherwise we'll all die."

She looked at you, or you assumed she did, with a small frown on her face. Like always, one of her eerie crows watched you with beady eyes from where it was perched on her shoulder, it's dark talons digging into the rubbery material of her uniform.

"Harlan no longer matters to me. It's Ben you have to worry about." And with that, she shut the door and the lock clicked menacingly.

Of course, you remembered, sitting heavily on the bed and releasing a plume of dust. The locks are on the outside.

As promised, there were uniforms in the closet, and one fit you well enough. They were similar to your Umbrella Academy outfit, surprisingly, but with a Sparrow logo instead. Apparently they had only recently updated to the elastic ones.

You curled up in your bed next, even though the sky outside the smudged window was only just beginning to darken. Your eyelids fluttered closed as complete exhaustion overtook you, and you finally slept.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.2K 1.8K 52
Who would have thought that the most deadliest assassin had a wife and was soon to become a dad. In which you Y/n Watson, a pregnant ex-assassin is s...
62.5K 1.2K 26
The second book to "His Only Fear" - a Five Hargreeves x Fem Reader fanfic. This book takes place during the second season of The Umbrella Academy. "...
9K 179 43
Reunited after their father's death, estranged siblings with extraordinary powers uncover shocking family secrets and a looming threat to humanity. I...
515K 15.1K 30
TAILS ❪ season two ❫ // 1960's slang for the word 'shadow' COMPLETE five hargreeves x fem!reader written by funkyenderboy