Unwanted (Chicago PD)

By KNeill006

Cassandra Mills hates her family. She's only ever wanted to love them and be close to them but that doesn't r... More

51
Late again
Detention
Near Death
Walls
Glowing
Broken on the floor
Scratches
Tears
Party
The Phone Call
Break in
Stay With Me
Betrayal
Talk To Me
Break Down
Concrete
Celebrations
New Years
Karaoke
New Family
Court
Panic
Teachers
Trouble
Given up
She's a runner
Its been dropped
Anger
Memories
Crash
Clearing things up
Hey, I Guess
Party Time!
One Game
To Family

Letters

1.8K 34 4
By KNeill006

*Cassie's Pov*

I looked up at Wendy as she stood there with her arms crossed and her eyebrows raised.

"What?" I asked her.

"What? Seriously? Why weren't you staying here?"

"Because it was boring."

"The neighbour called me. Heard shouting and things being broken. What did you do?"

"I got angry. The kitchen was like my own personal rage room."

"Why are you so angry? If it's that school thing, it's good for you to go."

"No. It's the fact that the people, who I thought were my family, told me how much they hated me."

"You said some things too."

"At least I didn't lie to you my whole life."

"What are you going on about?"

"I know they're dead."

"Stop making up stories in your head and just face the fact that they didn't want you. It will help you move in."

I walked over to my bag and pulled out the envelope before handing it to Wendy.

"Where did you get this?"

"That doesn't concern you."

"Yes it does. Someone probably made that up."

"I asked the firefighters in this picture what happened and they told me. So stop lying!" I shouted, which caused Steve to come out of the living room.

"What's going on?" He asked.

"Take a look for yourself." I said as I pushed it against his chest and walked off to my room.

"Cassandra! We aren't done with this conversation!" Shouted Wendy.

"I am!" I shouted back as I walked into my bedroom, slamming the door behind me.

The next morning, Jay came to pick me up for school. He knocked on my door earlier than I had expected and waited for someone to answer it.

I heard the door being opened as I walked down the stairs.

"Detective Halstead, what are you doing here?" Asked Wendy with a big grin over her face.

"I wanted to talk to Steve and you."

"Of course. Steve, would you come down so we can talk?" Called Wendy.

Steve came down, patting me on the back as he walked past. He waited before going into the kitchen so he could hand me back the envelope.

"I was trying to protect you, sorry Cassie." He said with a small smile as he handed me the envelope.

"What's up, Mr Halstead?" Asked Steve as he poured himself some coffee.

"A few things. I'm going to drop Cassie to school so she isn't late on her first day. I had Cassie stay with me because she was a mess when we came to check on her after we got a call from the neighbour."

"A call would've been nice.

"Yes. I'm sorry. I should've."

"What's the last thing?"

"Two other things. Sorry. Cassie was in hospital for a couple of days after she ahd passed out for not eating. I was wondering if you guys could just keep an eye on her."

"Yes of course." Said Steve.

"And. If it is okay with you, I would like to adopt Cassie."

"I'm sorry?" Asked Wendy.

"Clearly something isn't working here and we get along great-"

"Let me stop you there, Detective. We are perfectly fine. I would like it if you could now leave."

"Wendy, please. You don't like me. You make that very clear."

"What about me?" Asked Steve as he looked towards me.

"Sometimes, mom's and daughters have problems and we can work around that but I'm not giving you up." Said Steve.

"We'll keep it out of the papers. I know as lawyers, you guys don't want your name tarnished." I said.

"Cassie, I suggest you head off to school." Said Steve.

"Can we talk about this later?" Asked Jay.

"No. Leave. Now!" Shouted Wendy.

"Fine. I'll be seeing you in court." Said Jay.

I just stared at him as he walked out and grabbed my bag.

"Cassie, you're going to be late." Said Steve, not even looking at me.

"Yep. I'm going. See you later." I said and followed Jay out.

The car ride was silent, mainly because I refused to talk. Jay tried to talk to me but I just gave him one word answers, which he soon realised, meant I didn't want to talk.

"Do you want me to pic-"

"No." I said, cutting him off.

I reached for the door handle but he locked it. I put my feet on his seat and clutched my knees to my chest.

"What's wrong?"

"Steve won't talk to me. It's going to be torture. None of them will talk to me."

"I'm sure it will be fine. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said what I said."

"Mhm. I'm not gonna lie though, it was kind of badass."

He let out a laugh as he unlocked my door so I wasn't late.

When I walked in, the principal stopped me and pulled off to the side. I shook off her hand and looked down the corridor.

"Miss Mills. These are for you." She said and handed me about five small slips of paper.

"What are these?"

"Your detention slips. And this one," She said as she handed me another one. "Is a reasom for you to leave science five minutes earlier for a meeting with me."

"Nope. I like science. Can we reschedule?"

"No. We need to talk about your attitude."

It had just got to five minutes before the end of science and I looked down at the slip. I showed it to my teacher and she gave me permission to leave.

I wasn't going to that meeting nor was I staying in school. I like school but this many detentions is stressful. I don't want to sit across from my principal so she can tell me how I need to improve and be early to school when I know it's not my doing.

I had just reached the door to leave when I heard a loud shout from behind me.

"She can't leave!" Shouted my principal to security.

I started to run towards a different set of door but came to an immediate halt when my principal had blocked it off. I slid across the floor as I took off running again.

I finally reached the door and dived through the small gap. Security were right behind me as I ran out of the gates and hopped over the fence.

I slipped on something and I fell to the floor, hitting my hip. I winced in pain before I finally had enough strength to get up and carry on going.

I ran towards the subway station but didn't make it very far when I was tackled to the ground.

Next thing I know, cuffs are being slapped onto my wrists and I was dragged up from the ground. A police car had rolled up and I was shoved into the back.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"The hospital. You hit your head." Said the officer.

"Great." I huffed as I sat back in my seat.

A wave of dizziness hit me as the cop pulled me out of the car. I took one step before my knees buckled and I dropped to the floor. This time, I didn't hit my head but the cop thought I was faking and tried to drag em to my feet.

"Hey! She's unconscious you idiot." Shouted a voice a knew all too well.

When I woke up, I could hear Steve's voice outside talking to the familiar red head.

"Will she be okay?" He asked.

"She'll be fine. Maybe a concussion but nothing bad."

"Thanks, Doc." He said and shook his hand.

Steve handed him some paperwork and I hoped it was maybe adoption papers. Who am I kidding, it's probably discharge papers.

"Let's get you home, kiddo." He said.

When we were in the car, he handed me a letter that had been opened.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"Thanks to your cop buddy, it's our first court date."

"I'm s-"

"Don't worry about it. The twins are out for a walk with Wendy. You should head up to bed. I'll bring you a sandwich up and some painkillers."

"Thanks." I said towards him as I got out of the car.

Why did I feel guilty?

He hates me. Or at least I think he does. Wendy is the one who always says it but he shouted at me that time when Harriet hurt herself and said it was my fault.

But I want to live with Jay. If he found out what had happened today, he would most likely kill me but at least he wouldn't bring it up at a family gathering or in the middle of an argument.

I climbed into bed and laid my head back, trying to forget the mixed feelings.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 2.7K 85
This story based on 2 years after Erin left to go to New York to take a job to keep Bunny out of jail. I kept Alvin Olinksey alive in the story as we...
38.7K 432 20
Bethany 'Beth' Halstead, the younger sister of Jay and Will and has a very close relationship with both of their brothers. Beth is known to be the fe...
37K 513 35
Jordan Hermandez used to be a ranger with Jay but left a few years before him due to her mother's illness. They never spoke again or even knew if eac...
23.1K 472 22
Y/N Voight is a bad girl who is very sarcastic and very secretive. She owns a motorbike and is only 15. When a mysterious person starts to solve the...