Pertemis: Timeless

By Adaminus_de_Laserose

(Completed story) ✅ Well, before all of this, I didn't know who I was and who were my parents. I just only kn... More

Welcome
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Important Notice!
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 13

23.1K 506 110
By Adaminus_de_Laserose

Artemis's POV

It was silence, only eyes to eyes contact.

Then Apollo broke the freezing stand.

"Sunlight sipped through cloud.
Artemis cuddled on bed,
Why the sky not raining?"

The stupid haiku pulled me back to reality. I stared at my relatives, eyes big as plates and then back at the position Perseus and I were in. I had never jumped off from a bed so fast before in my life.

"It's—Uh—" I avoided eyes contact, shifting my feet furiously. "I can explain! It's not really like what it looked like"

Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see Perseus smirking at my direction. I gritted my teeth and tried to give him a signal through the slight wrinkling at my nose so that it wouldn't be too obvious to others.

'Say something to untangle this, you idiot!' I wanted to yell at him. 'Stop smirking'

"Well, now that out of the way" my uncle cleared his throat awkwardly, which made the situation even worse. "How are you now, Perseus?"

"Nah, I want to dig more into this uncle" Apollo said before Perseus could respond, his eyes still focused on us. "What were you doing on his bed, sis?"

"It was" my eyes darted to Perseus and back at my brother. "He had a fever last night. I tried to keep him warm but got pulled into bed instead"

"And that explained the cuddling? Or the Perseus being shirtless with you next to him?" Apollo raised his brows.

"I'm telling the truth okay!" I snapped. "We didn't do anything"

At that point, it was too embarrassing for me to keep going. Yet that idiot wouldn't stop.

"Yeah but—"

"Shut up Apollo!" I bursted and stormed out of the room. The door slammed so hard behind me that the ceiling groaned at its break.

I matched towards the white cobblestone path that lead out of Olympus. People passing were eyeing me weirdly and it set me off even more.

Did someone tell them what happened between Perseus and I? It was only a few minutes ago, how did the gossip travel that quickly?

Why are they looking at me like that? I tried to ignore it, but when you have been caught in such a shameful position with a male, I was paranoid everywhere.

I didn't make a lot of friends, and usually kept it to my own circle. So, it must be strange for people to see me being near someone new. Especially when it was Perseus. I suspected Aphrodite also has been vowing stories in the Sip 'N' Dip bar at the marketplace.

The gate only a few yards away and yet it seemed like miles. Every seconds here only made my blood boiling more. I broke into a run and dashed out of Olympus, convincing myself to ignore how I would look in everyone's eyes.

Thalia and Zoe broke off from the group and rushed towards me. They both eyed me warily as I walked past them, no hint of me stopping on anyone. The hunters parted way for me and I marched straight into my tent and sealed the flap shut.

Once inside, I finally let go of my breath. The paranoias of someone knowing about Perseus and me. I kept contemplating scenarios of Apollo flinging the exaggerated version of it to his scum friends and they all laugh. I even thought of walking on the street of Olympus with people eyeing me, judging and gossiping behind my back.

'Slut!'

'Hypocrite'

'Double standard'

All those words kept popping up and it was driving me insane.

Yet, there was one thing I feared most. My hunters. What if the stories get to them? They wouldn't believe in gossip, but the seed of suspicion would be there. I knew better than to lie to them or choose to ignore it. Many terrible things have happened if the seed of suspicion is not terminated, and ignorance will only allow it to germinate into a belief. I knew of this, yet I didn't know how to explain it to them. It was true I slept with Perseus on the same bed. It was true people caught me and Perseus semi naked. I was a terrible liar. I wouldn't know how to manipulate the stories to make it look good for me like Aphrodite does. My hunters would certainly disappointed. What I feared was them losing trust in me. I established the hunt. I made the rules. Yet it was I who has broken it on multiple occasions.

"Chaos I'm such a terrible leader" I sighed.

Just then, a knock of the flap nearly had me drop my heart.

"Who is it?" I asked.

The person didn't say a word and began to set the flap aside to enter my tent. If they were one of my hunters, I would reprimand them heavily for this. No one enter another person privacy without announcement. Besides, at the moment, I didn't want to see anybody.

To my surprise, Aunt Hestia stepped in and smiled warmly at me.

"I hope I came at the right time"

I sighed a little in relief. Even though it was awkward to see her right now considering how she just witnessed Perseus and I. But there was this aura around her and it seeps into everyone. Something warm, cozy and welcoming. It was relaxing to the point my angers and paranoias were smoothed by a gentle hand.

"Auntie" I smiled at her and she stopped right at my bed.

"Do you want me to talk about it or you prefer silence?" Hestia eyed me with a smile. Her eyebrows arched.

"Isn't that the reason you came in the first place?" I sighed. "It's already embarrassing enough, I don't want it to revolve into an awkward silence as well"

Hestia chuckled and she took a seat next to me at the edge of my bed. Inadvertently, I leaned on her shoulder for support. Her hair smelled so nice, a sweet aroma that made me want to doze off right there. Hestia smiled and rested her cheek on my head, engulfed me into her warmth as she hooked an arm around my shoulder and placed that hand on my face. She pulled me closer and started stroking my cheek in a soothing rhythm. We used to do this when I was a kid back in her gardens. It was a wheat field, stretching far into the horizon. The breeze there were never strong, only blowing gently, leading the golden sea of wheat to shuffle back and forth like the ocean surface. In the middle of it was a dune covered by mosses and from afar, it looked like an island in a golden sea. In the centre of it planted an old oak tree, with its branches sloping down like a large umbrellas. Hestia and I would sometimes have a picnic there, just spending some girls moment. We would make dough for bread using the wheat around us, or sewing basket from the straws. I often doze off on her shoulder like this under the old oak tree. The memories brought a smile to my face. I grew up lacking both of my parents. Father was too strict and cared more for his authority image than to be around. Mother was living far away. I wouldn't have been more gentle to Apollo nor any of my siblings if it wasn't for Hestia that gave me an actually family, a value that I would appreciate. A home that I knew I could rely and come back to.

"I'm sorry Aunty" I whispered.

"What for?" Her fingers made gentle lines on my pale cheek.

"This morning....I embarrassed you" I wanted to lean away and look up at her. But Hestia held me down to the position.

"Who were in the room now?" I could feel her smile. "Your brother, your uncle and I. Why would I be embarrassed when it was just our family members?."

I broke away from her hold.

"But I did what I did. I went against my oath. I'm a hypocrite" I pouted.

"My poor child" Hestia held my cheek. "Is that why you have been beating yourself all this time?"

I didn't answer her.

"Then that means it's okay for you to let Perseus to suffer the fever last night? Just so you can conform to the oath you made?"

"You believe my story?" I stared widely at her.

"Of course I believe you" Hestia chuckled. "I raised you to be this big. Wouldn't I know whether you are telling the truth or not? Now tell me, would you have left Perseus to suffer last night if you could go back in time?"

"I..." I staggered off. My eyes didn't want to meet her.

"Hmm?" Her stare pushed me. "Be honest with yourself"

"I—"

Inside me, I really wanted to deny it. To tell her I would leave Perseus there to rot so I wouldn't have to be embarrassed like this. Yet, deep down I knew it was far from truth. I closed my eyes and sighed.

"I would've done the same thing all over again"

Hearing my words, Hestia smiled. "See? To save a person doesn't mean you are deliberately breaking your oath. From what I have seen, you never violated any of it. You were just trying to help Perseus."

"But I have built an image for myself as a goddess devoid of male companions. I even established the hunt for it. I'm afraid of what my hunters would say"

"Do you have romantic feelings towards Perseus?"

Her question threw me off guard. I glanced up at her. My mind was pacing a million miles and hour, trying to contemplate what she just said. Romance? Something completely foreign to my thoughts even until that point.

"No—" I was still in a shock. "No! Of course not!"

I knew it was absurd. I knew it was ridiculous to even think about it. Yet, somehow part of me felt a little excitement, lurking underneath all of that. It was strange and irritating.

"Then what are you afraid of?" Hestia smiled and crooked her head. "You were trying to be a good person. There's nothing wrong about helping others. I understand circumstances led to what happened in that room. But none of it was intentional right? So, why do you have to care about what others think?"

"But my hunters would certainly be disappointed. I prevent them from making contacts with males and yet I'm the one has been doing all all kind of thing against it."

"Then what about Perseus?"

I looked up at her. Her eyes only stared coldly back.

"What about him?"

"Are you going to ignore him from here on out?"

I was silent.

I didn't know the answer. In fact, I had no idea what to do with this kind of situation. In the past, if I encountered a male or even female and I was in debt to them. I would ride the check off quickly and move on. Yet, with Perseus, I could never ride it off and the debt keep compounding up.

"What do you think of him?"

"I—I don't know" I shook my head. "He's different. He's just different"

Hestia sighed and took my hand. "Do you know what your fatal flaw is, Artemis?"

I glanced up at her in surprise. I thought immortals don't have fatal flaw.

"It is that you care too much. It's not about caring what they say to you. But about you always putting everyone ahead. You subconsciously try to help out others and yet, you always deny that you don't care about them at all."

"Since you were a kid, I was mostly worried about you" Hestia looked far away into the distance in her mind.

"Me?" I raised my brows.

"Yes." Hestia nodded. "Because you cared for those close to you so much. You fear you would hurt them if you started sharing your attention elsewhere. You started restricting yourself, setting up your own principles that eventually stopped you from opening up to everybody. Since you were a child, I was the only friend you got. Now as a matured goddess, your hunters are all you got. You wanted to care for Perseus, you wanted him to get better. Even your rules and principles could not stop you from doing it. Now, you care about the well being of your hunters, of how they would feel. But have you ever looked at how you would feel?"

Hestia leaned closer.

"Perseus genuinely cares about you Artemis. He's a friend that's hard to come by in a life time. Even for an immortal. Don't sacrifice it. Just put yourself ahead for once. Sometimes, all it takes is loosening up you shoulder, forget about others and you will find this world a little more joyful."

Eyeing that I was still taking it in. Hestia smiled and kissed my forehead.

"I'll let you have some alone time. If you need anything, you know where to find me"

With that, auntie left the room, leaving me still sitting there on that bed and stared into the blank.

What I feel about him? A friend?

Up until this point, despite the fact that I always tried to ignore this question at the back of my head. No one really brought it up. Until Hestia just now. I didn't know what to do with Perseus. One way or another, no matter how much I tried to avoid him. We would eventually run into each other. Then, there was this familiarity that has already started to set in around his presence. I never noticed it. But I have already slowly accustomed to him around everyday. And to be honest, I never had so much excitement in life before. Perseus was different. Sure I liked chastising  him and make us argue a lot. I knew there was no hatred there. Not like with other males. I genuinely didn't want to harm him.

I turned around and intended to ask Hestia more about Perseus. But the room was empty, saved only for me and the crackling of fires in the lamps.

I sighed and fell back onto the bed. The white ceiling of the tent canvas stared coldly at me. My vision turned blurry and I already fell asleep before I know it.

I woke up with a thunderstorm outside. Sweats covered my body in another layer and I felt it hard to breathe.

Why is this uneasiness surrounds me at this moment.

Another crack of thunder that wanted to rip the sky apart made me look up. This isn't the season for lightning. So, my father must have summoned the council. Wasting no hesitation, I immediately teleported to Olympus.

The throne room was started to fill in with the major gods. My first glance was just the monotony of it. I bet there would be another kind of arguments that lead to no decision at all by the end of it 

But then my eyes darted to the new piece that was added to this room a few days ago. The golden throne of Perseus, and when I looked at the person that sat on in. My heart dropped with despair.

"What do you think you are doing!?" I growled and stormed towards his direction.

Perseus startled when he heard my voice and crouched on little on his chair. He flashed me a smile, hoping that it would cool me down. But I wasn't going to let him get away with it.

""H-hey Artemis...." he gave a little wave.

"Don't hey me!" I bellowed. "Why aren't you in the infirmary resting!? What if you faint in the middle of this again you idiot!? I didn't put in all that effort to save you for nothing"

"Relax," he said. "I got clearance from the doctor"

"Don't bring that idiot into this as an excuse" I snapped. "I will deal with him personally later."

"But—"

"Daughter!" My father voice came booming from the throne at the far end of the room and Perseus trailed from his sentence. I glanced up at my father.

"Since you are already here, why don't you take a seat so I can start the council?"

I wanted to rebuke. But I knew my father temper. I glared at Perseus and he gulped

"This is not over" I muttered and flashed my teeth at him.

My father watched me as I made my way towards my throne. The moment I was seated, he cleared his throat and announced.

"As you all have heard and witnessed the recent duel between Ares and..." Zeus gleaned at him with disdain, certainly didn't like the outcome of that battle. "Perseus"

"Though the result was quite unexpected, it was a victory nonetheless"

Poseidon rolled his eyes at that comment. Zeus just lost a tone of priceless treasures for betting against Perseus. In fact most people in Olympus lost a lot of drachmas because they all bet Ares would win.

"Artemis!" My father called had my spine straightened. I looked at him.

"Step forward"

I heeded his command and made myself in the middle of the thorn room. What does he want from me? Perseus won and Ares lost. Was there any other condition?

"Perseus, step forward!"

I glanced at him and he looked at me. Gosh he was weak, his lips barely had any colour on it. He stepped down the his throne heavily. Every step he made caused him to sweat and I swallowed the urge to come over and support him. I had looked into those eyes, they told me he had to appear strong to Zeus.

Perseus stood next to me, the power radiating from him assured me a little as he bowed slightly at my father.

"Lord"

"Well..." The look of disdain on my father as he urged his chin at my direction made me want to yell back. But I knew it was wise to keep my silence. "She's yours. The wedding shall happen next full moon"

I felt the ground just cracked, the sky just crumbled into dust upon those words.

Wedding?

WEDDING!?

Before I could even open my mouth to protest, Perseus already stepped forward.

"Lord, that cannot happen!"

What Perseus said was what I wanted to say. But inadvertently, the words he made and his furious refusal sting. Somehow, somewhere I felt a sense of disappointment. A regret lurking underneath a surface of denial.

"Father! That was not part of the deal!" I stepped forward as well despite the turmoil in my mind.

"What cannot happen?" Zeus seemed to be annoyed. "Wasn't that part of the prize of victory? Didn't you set out to fight for her hand in marriage, Perseus?"

"My fight with Ares was so that Artemis would not marry him!" Perseus raised his voice. "I didn't say I would be the suitor!"

"Perseus is right brother" Demeter somehow stepped forward. She also seemed annoyed with Zeus decision or perhaps it was the ulterior motive. Everyone knows she really wanted to throw herself at Perseus at this point. No where on Olympus that I could walk without hearing the nymphs and naiads giggling and whispering about getting to bed or hanging out with Perseus. Even though it had nothing to do with me whoever Perseus chose to sleep with, it somehow irritated me quite greatly.

"Artemis is at that age when she should settle down. Wasn't because of her safety that we had this discussion and the duel in the first place?" My father voice got Demeter quiet down. She then glared at me instead.

Why are you angry at me? I'm not the one that is horny over Perseus.

"Still lord!" Perseus was restraining himself. "Artemis is a maiden goddess. She cannot possibly get married. What about her reputation? Her hunt and title?"

"Didn't we settle this already?" Zeus rolled his eyes. "I'll make her lieutenant the new goddess of the hunt. Artemis once married can settle down on Olympus and still hold he other titles. About that oath, it was nothing to get serious about..."

Thunder rumbled outside and Zeus looked at the ceiling, his face showed the right nervousness for making such remark. Even though we were immortals, our oath and essence still tied to the fates. An oath sworn upon the Styx is sacred, immortals or not and it should not be something to easily dismiss.

Zeus cleared his voice to regain his confidence and authority. "Many oaths has been broken before. Yes, there will be a disaster threatening to happen. But As immortals, we will all be able to live through it. Besides, marriage is just on title, who said that my daughter would break her oath with you? It is entirely up to her decision"

What my father said was right. Even if Perseus and I got married. There was no way I would live in the same palace with him let alone getting on the same bed. But, I've lived four thousand years as a maiden goddess and devoid of male companions. Now to marry one just destroyed everything I've built in that lifetime.

I glanced at Perseus and he already stared at me. He nodded, telling me to trust him.  I kept my silence and only hoped whatever he was about to said, I must be able to understand him.

Perseus turned back to Zeus. His face switched to arrogance and crossed his arms, leaning his body back a little to appear more mighty.

"If I marry your daughter and cannot bed her, what's the point of me marrying her for?"

"You-" my father slammed his hand on the armrest and the other pointed at Perseus.

Everyone looked surprised to hear those words leaving his mouth.

Perseus's countenance on the other hand seemed relax, the smirk on his face irritated my father even more. If he didn't make eyes contact with me and that nod as reassurance, I would've launched at him with a knife at his throat instead like my father sitting there and getting a fussed up. I knew Perseus wasn't the kind driven by lust. Many of his ventures to saved my ass spoke more power than just simply wanting to get to bed with me. So without a doubt, I trusted him.

" I didn't think you are this kind of person" my father said. "Another common mortal"

"What ever it is Lord" Perseus replied. "I will not marry Artemis"

"It was your words that made the challenge and set out the prize, Perseus" my father spoke loudly. "A god's word cannot be taken back!"

"I don't remember saying—"

"Apollo can confirm this" my father cut off Perseus sentence and glanced at my brother. Who's startled when his name was called.

"Isn't that right, son?" My father said. "The god of truth cannot tell lies"

The entire council looked at my brother, who seemed nervous as hell. He looked at me for confirmation and I shook my head. But my brother just closed his eyes. He was fighting his internal self, the personality and essence that made him who he was. My brother knew he could just say no. But, somewhere deep in him couldn't allow him. It had stayed with him since his birth. A gift to see future but also a curse that he must speak the truths.

My brother eyes adverted from mine and Perseus direction, the guilt was visible.

"I'm sorry bro," Apollo sighed. "You did say those words during the council meeting that day."

Now even Apollo has confirmed it. There was no way to deny it. The credibility of Apollo telling the truth was so strong that no matter what we said against, it would amount to nothing. The entire world know my brother could not lie when something was asked.

Perseus immediately turned to me. The desperation of was finally emerging from his eyes. Before I could tell him anything, he already turned to Zeus.

"Even if that was the case, I will not marry Artemis!"

"It was your words that were sworn upon this council!" My father stood up, thunder rumbled outside. "I shall not let a puny god like you dishonour this place and our reputation!"

Power. Despite how injured he was. How weak he was. The power surged out from him was immense. Tendrils of light swirling and coiling around him, raising every hair on my neck. I could feel the world has slowed down, even the air particles have stopped floating. Perseus stepped forward, the marble floor cracked beneath his feet. He stared at my father, never gave up ground.

"As I said" his voice was deep, yet loud and intimidating. " I will not marry her"

Thurber roared, lightning ran across the gathering dark clouds as if it wanted to tear the sky apart. My father's glowed in blue light, as sparks of electricity ran along his shoulders and arms. His hand were ready to form a fist, as power was being concentrated there that was so powerful it shook the building. Once he closed his fist, a bolt would appear there and who knows what will happen next.

They both stared at each other. All the gods didn't know whether to step in or to pick side. The intensity between the two of them could kill a mortal as neither wanted to give ground. A show down display of power, of blue and gold as lightning flashed across the sky. The ceiling crumbled in its wake, debris rained down upon us.

I was utterly in shock at the scene. I didn't know that things could turn out this way. If I don't do anything now, both of them would get injured. And I feared Perseus wasn't the one coming out on top.

I knew how badly injured he was. Despite the fact that he was gathering everything he had left to show my father that he was a force to be reckon with. I knew and he also knew that if fight was to really break out, Perseus would not stand against that immense power from the King of the gods.

And when I looked at his eyes, the determination told me he would go down without taking back his words. It stung me. I knew he would fight for me until the very end. I knew he would challenge the whole world to keep me happy. But I couldn't be selfish like that. He had sacrificed enough, it was time for me to help him to.

I made a step next to him and tugged at his arm. But his focus was solely on my father. I didn't know how to get his attention so I his held his fist in my hand. His power subsided, the fist loosened his clenching as he turned his head to me.

I just shook my head at him.

It's alright. I can take it. Let it go.

Those words were what I wanted to say out loud. But I didn't have to because my eyes have told him everything from my heart.

He frowned at me then glared at Zeus. He attempted to turn to him and have a stare down again but I grabbed his other hand and forced him to face me entirely. He did not want it. He didn't want me to make the sacrifice. He turned to me, the pain in his eyes were visible. But the moment he saw tears that were threatened to fall from mine, he stopped. His power disappeared as if wave leaving the shore just as quickly as it had crashed upon it.

I didn't want to lose him. He knew so damn well I didn't want to lose him. My inside was like glass at that point. the moment he get struck down by my father, I knew it would shatter to pieces.

Having finally seen my heart. Perseus smiled to reassure me that he would not do anything stupid.

"Fine," Perseus said out loud. "If you are so insist on making Artemis my future partner, I will accept the engagement. Let it now be known to the world that Phoebe Artemis has been engaged to this Perseus and no one can claim her or has the right to force her marriage"

My father attempted so speak once the power also left him. But Perseus didn't let him to.

"However, because we are both major gods, the time of our wedding cannot be decided by others. King or not. It shall be our free will and until Artemis want to have that wedding, no one can force us or her to do it"

"Then how is Artemis going to settle down with you on Olympus?" My father frowned. "That was the original objective wasn't it? To keep her safe and contained on Olympus."

"We are not married to each other, Artemis can live wherever she wants to. And as her fiancé, it is my duty to accompany and protect her." Perseus said as if it was the truth. As if we were a couple that had agreed to marry each other. He was serious about it. I knew he would follow me to the end of the world from now on.

After awhile of contemplation, my father finally stood up.

"Well, this is still better than nothing" my father said. "Let the council give their blessings!"

All the gods and goddesses stood up from their throne and extended one of thier hands towards us. In an loud voice, my father announced.

"From this point on, Perseus and Phoebe Artemis is officially engaged to each other. No other weddings shall be bestowed upon Artemis and Perseus unless both have agreed to cease their engagement. Though without their wedding as the sacred bond, it will be your duty to protect each other and shall never betray the other. Does the council have hold your oaths upon the Styx?"

"I swear" Perseus said first and looked at me. He seemed nervous.

I knew what I said would seal our fates for good. Whether it was destiny or because the situation gave us no other choice. Somehow, I knew this was the right way to do. I just had that feeling.

"I swear" I didn't look at my father. My eyes were solely on the man in front of me as I spoke those words.

That's right. I never saw how more matured he looked now compared to before. He seemed to be taller, his shoulders seemed broader. That determination look in his eyes made him appear to be wiser.

Perhaps it was alright to have him as my fiancé. At least he has earned the place in my eyes to be recognised as a man unlike others as boys. He has proven worthy enough to me. After all, it was just a title and no feeling was attached to it. The whole world knows this was an arranged marriage. But even then, the groom must be suitable and worthy for the maiden goddess of the hunt. Perseus has demonstrated that. He didn't make me feeling like a laughing stock. He made me proud.

"Then it has been decided. From this point on, you two are engaged to each other"

The last announcement was head and the sky rumbled. Then, I saw Perseus frowning next to me, his face twisted a little with a sign of pain. I was confused when he dropped on his knee and groaned, his palm covered the back of his neck.

I was partly confused and shocked until an intense burning occurred at the beck of my neck as well. Like a hot rod placed upon my skin. It was as if my veins started bursting open, and that wretched burning started to spread under my skin like streams and river. It was burning for awhile long and the council stood there in shock

Then it got warmer, then pain dissipated and replaced my the warmth of my hand that had been putting pressure on it. It was Perseus that recovered first the moment he saw me on the ground, still holding my neck. He rushed over.

"Are you alright?" He asked, concern flashed in his eyes because he knew just how painful that was.

"Let me see it" I held his arm. "What happened?"

Perseus was confused. But he turned his head to show my the back of his neck, where the burning had occurred.

There, inked into his skin now was a black tattoo. An eye, so exquisite and eloquent despite the lack of colour, it was the most shining and fascinating art I've seen. The blackness felt as if it was alive, was glowing with life. Wrapped around that eye was trail of starlights, embracing the magnificence of it.

That's when I realised if I also had it.

"Artemis..." Perseus said as he touched the burning spot on my neck. His fingers felt cold and I tensed up. "The eye...."

I immediately summoned a mirror to examine it. It was like Perseus's, except this was silver, bright and shiny, as if the essence of the galaxy was condensed into each of that fabric of ink. I only grazed the tattoo with my fingers in amazement and fear. Fear of what it might mean. A curse or a blessing.

"Chaos..." Zeus stepped down from his throne in shock as he approached us. He was as if dead inside.

"Father..." I mouthed the word and he gained back his composure.

"Such a rare sight" Zeus said in amazement and the council stood there in wonder. "The union has been blessed by Chaos himself. This is meant to happen...this is destiny. You two...."

My father glanced at both at us. We were more scared than confused at that point.

"Chaos has blessed you two. In life or death, this bonding shall never be broken. The only way you can see this through is by wedding. Your engagement now is not just a prize or deal. It's a sacred blessing from Chaos himself."

"Why?" Perseus stepped forward. "Why did chaos himself decided to bless us?"

"That I do not have the power to interfere or question. It's his will and he has chosen both of you as the couple of millennium. This is the first I have seen and will probably be the last."

I just looked Perseus and he stared at me. What we thought was a harmless deal now turned into something so revere and sacred. This is what I feared most. Whether to decide if this is a curse or a blessing. With this blessing, I am forever locked with Perseus and only way out was to proceed to our wedding. We thought by creating the engagement, we could postpone the wedding indefinitely. But now, because Chaos has blessed our union, the whole world was expecting our wedding and we couldn't say no against that overwhelming request. This event is deemed as a lucky sign, some prosperous rein was emerging from the horizon. Yet, to me this is just a scary path of uncertainty in the future.

I left the room without another word. Despite the confusion on everyone's faces, I still left that room. The atmosphere there. The eyes on me. I couldn't breathe. It was suffocating.

I didn't know how long did I walk, until a hand caught my wrist and held me back.

"So, you are just gonna leave me there to fence off all those people?"

I knew who it was.

"What can I do now, Perseus?" I turned back to face him. I was baffled and confused. "We can't escape from it"

"I'm sorry" he said, he didn't want to make eye contact. "I only made that proposal to postpone the wedding. I didn't expect it would..."

"It's not your fault." I shook my head. "You tried the best you could. But we can't escape this fate Perseus"

He sighed heavily.

"So that now you are my fiancé" I slapped his hand and he smirked. I knew he like teasing me about this. Probably from this day on, it's gonna be the same lame joke he will be throwing at me.

"It's just a title"

"Whatever you call it" he said. "What you father said is right as well."

"You are protecting him!?" I glared.

"No, I'm concerning over your own safety" Perseus pressed on and I quiet down. "You travelling the world like this by yourself is not safe. Especially during these intricate times when we don't know who's pulling the string on the recent attacks. They know your weakness. If they aim for those hunters, you are done for."

"I can take care of myself," I snapped. "I've been doing so ever since I was born. I don't need others to watch over me like guard."

"It's better safe than be sorry later on" Perseus said. "I would hate myself forever if anything was to happen to you and I knew I had the chance to prevent it"

"So what's it gonna be?" I crossed my arms. "Lock me up and dress me around all day like a useless princess."

"If that was to be your fate, goddess. I would rather set you free and risk my life coming to your rescue all the times"

He stepped forward and held my hand. I didn't flinch or yank it away. Somehow, I've gotten used to it.

"Let me travel with you. Let me be close so I can help you"

"But I would break the rule of the hunt. Besides now that we are engaged, I don't want the whole world to know I have accepted this marriage and allow you to come and live with me. What would my hunters think?"

"I will not stay in your camp, if that makes you feel better. But I want to be close by and respond to emergency when it occurs."

"Even then, you still come as a fiancé. People will talk about us"

"What am I in your eyes, Artemis?" He held the end contact and I shrunk under his gaze.

"You...you are..."

Up until that point, I still had no idea what he was in my heart. I couldn't call him my fiancé, it was just a title. I didn't even love him to call him that. Saviour? Sure he did save me but then I was willing to repay it some day. Friend? Were we that close for me to consider him friend? I have a small circle and those I consider friends have spent time around in my life for at least a few hundred or even thousand years. I've groaned accustomed to their presence around me. But with Perseus, it has been less than a month.

"I never had many friends" Perseus said and I just stared at him. "But those I chose to protect I hold them preciously. You are one of those, Artemis. And I don't want to lose it."

Friends...

Those words from Hestia finally rang in my mind.

'Perseus genuinely cares about you Artemis. He's a friend that's hard to come by in a life time. Even for an immortal. Don't sacrifice it. Just put yourself ahead for once. Sometimes, all it takes is loosening up you shoulder, forget about others and you will find this world a little more joyful.'

Yes. Maybe I should just loosen my shoulders a little and stop caring about what others think but about what I want. I wanted Perseus as a friend, and I would be a damned fool to push him away. Besides, those weeks spending with him had been more eventful than any friends I've spent with for over thousand of years. Those times, through its up and down I actually felt alive once in awhile. I had laughed them. Had cried then and no one had ever come so close to make me display so much emotion. He was special, and I had the feeling things could only get better with him.

"It's friend" I smiled. "That's what it is!"

I didn't know I was grinning until I saw Perseus grinning back.

"So, can I stick around with you then?"

"Fine, do whatever. It's not like I can stop you from teleporting in anyway" I waved my hand. "And have you been practicing it?"

" A bit rusty but I can manage it" he shrugged.

"You are just bad. Stop making up excuses!" I whacked his head and he pouted in a hilarious way.

Perhaps my hunters wouldn't mind him around. After all, he did save me and them and they know how well Perseus treated me. Considering they had much better reaction when I told them about Perseus volunteering to fight Ares to save me. It was the first time the hunters started having a discussion about male in camp.

"Maybe this is an opportunity for me to start training you again" I crossed my arms.

"What training?"

"Didn't  you forgot I'm still you mentor until you have mastered all the skills and manner as a god?" I clicked my tongue. 

"Maybe I should ask Hestia for a tracker and I stay watch on Olympus" Perseus grimed after a  hard swallow.

"Hah! Look who's chickening out now?" I laughed and patted his shoulder.

"I'll see you tomorrow at my camp, Perseus. Don't be late"

He had that confused and fear in those eyes as I turned around and walked away. I only smiled from ears to ears.

"Wait Artemis! Can't we postpone it!? Artemis!!"

He was shouting from the back and ignored him. I tried hard not to laugh out loud and my stomach hurt because of it. I will be fun from this point on. With Perseus, it's always fun.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

559K 34.2K 98
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
146K 2.8K 31
In the whirlwind world of basketball and broken promises, Nailea finds herself at a crossroads as she prepares to transfer to the same college as Pai...
1.1M 47.8K 94
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
301K 6.7K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc