sins of my youth. // Billy Ha...

By alias_b

Smut/Enemies to Lovers ***It was common knowledge that Billy Hargrove hated Hawkins. Hated Cherry Lane. Even... More

000 ➶ Welcome Info
001 ➶ Fast Times
002 ➶ A Million Dead Stars
003 ➶ To The Devil
004 ➶ No Day But Today
005 ➶ Skirt Safari
006 ➶ Hard Candy
007 ➶ One Bad Kiss Constellation
008 ➶ Because My Calendar Is Open
009 ➶ Everything Is Blue
010 ➶ A Little More Sin
011 ➶ My Heart Burns There, Too
012 ➶ Cupid And Psyche
013 ➶ Almost Paradise
014 ➶ Such Sweet Sorrow
015 ➶ Fires Within Fires
016 ➶ The Night Has A Thousand Eyes...
017 ➶ Heart-Shaped Shadow Box
018 ➶ The Neon Demon
019 ➶ One Caress
020 ➶ Rose Tint My World
021 ➶ Days In The Sun
023 ➶ Cough Syrup
024 ➶ Tyger Tyger, Burning Bright
025 ➶ Thank You and Goodnight!
026 ➶ She's So Lucky, She's a Star
027 ➶ Just My Type: Bonus Flashback
028 ➶ A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes
029 ➶ Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)
030 ➶ An Awfully Big Adventure
Bonus One Shot ➶ Angel Cake

022 ➶ Rust and Stardust

401 12 32
By alias_b

A/N: Hi everyone!! The return we've all dreaded. Warning for Fredrick Bullshit. Just also gonna say the way he returns is Ugly. Pica//mention of aftermath. Billy & Evie get help from a friend. **Thanks! Let me know what you think :)

** ** ** 

April 1985

"Great set tonight, baby." Iris flicked an envelope out to Evie's waiting hand. "Rest of the month is slim and so is May, but I have plenty of summer hours for you. That's for certain now."

Evie bit her lip, giddy.

"Really?"

"You paid dues. Day and night hours as the city comes alive again. Lots of parties. Bigger drag events in need of hosts. I need help keeping my queens together if you can lend a backstage hand too." Iris leaned over the bar. "You tell your mother?"

"Ah, when summer picks up. I'm still technically her receptionist even though she's given me no hours. Keeps saying I need to enjoy my senior year." Air blew out her lips, flipping a few curls up. Iris didn't look up from her clipboard as she counted bottles and took notes.

"She got a new man?"

"I don't know. She dates here and there. Parties. Why?"

"Divorced mamas get strange on their kids when they have something new that gets serious. She's in that stage of not wanting to bring two worlds together, but running out of reasons not to at this point. My mother did the same thing, of course not much came as a surprise to her when I came out." Iris smiled. "She knew for years and immediately began altering her old dresses for me."

False lashes winked, sultry.

"Ugh, I can't think about my mother dating. She's brought home duds on rare occasions who didn't cut out fast enough." Evie perked to see Billy at a table putting a cigarette out while the band played on.

"You shouldn't keep your Eros waiting, go on home. I'll call if more hours present themselves. Take care until next week, sweets." Iris tipped Evie's chin up. "And kick ass the rest of your senior year. It flies by."

"I will, Iris. Billy and I are going to prom. May 25th." Evie hadn't even told her mother. Sometimes Iris felt like more of a mom than Mona did. All her advice and warmth. Her easy breezy acceptance.

"I'll make sure you have that weekend open." Iris swept some curls from Evie's shoulder. "Need anything, I'm here. Especially hair and makeup tips. I never went to my prom and I wish I did. You deserve a good night."

"I'll probably need the help, I'd like that. Thank you, Iris. I, uh, I mean it. Hey, I'll see you later though." Evie turned to Billy already there with a jacket. Iris glittered watching them go off. His denim eased over her shoulders before they were leaving up the steps.

"Not cold tonight," he remarked, eyes on the moon glimmering, "got time to fool around in the backseat? I have a new blanket back there to break in."

"Oh, tempting," Evie giggled and got into the car, "still tired from what we did in that church confessional during the Easter party."

"Our best work. You knew better than to bring me around a church." Billy chuckled, speeding out as Evie fussed with the radio. She settled in and peered at the lipstick kiss on the sleeve of his jacket. A smile crossed.

"How's Max?"

"Still sneaking into my room from time to time when I'm not with you. Little shit kicks in her sleep. She doesn't really talk about it anymore," he shrugged, exhaling. "Dad's been working and drinking himself to sleep so, not really bothering with us unless we get in his way of a cold six pack."

"Ah." Evie felt for his hand. "Still being distant from friends?"

"Yearning for the Sinclair boy clearly and hiding it."

"She'll find her way back to them some more. Time will pass. Summer might be a nice change. I hope so." Evie leaned back to see the stars twinkle as they charged toward Hawkins. "As long as she doesn't shut them out all together."

"Not like she has a choice when I drop her at the arcade and kick her out of the car." Billy's lips lifted.

"Just being a supportive big brother, huh?"

"I'm learning." He turned off the freeway after some time. They fell into an easy silence for a few beats. Music soft from the radio.

"I told Susan. About us." Billy piped up, earning an awed look from Evie. "Frankly, I think she's known the whole time."

"My mom sometimes pushes the subject when she's around. Me seeing a boy." Evie cocked her head. "Why Susan?"

"Cause I realized I'm gonna need help with the whole rental tux thing for May." He laughed. "Plus, she found your horrible cat sweater in my laundry."

"I wondered where that went." Evie touched her lips. "Sorry."

"Whoever created that knit monster should apologize." Billy snickered when he got pushed for that one.

"Don't knock the cats, they're soft. You love my bad taste in campy prints." Evie tilted her chin up. Pride. "We'll watch the clothing we leave at each other's house."

"Yeah, yeah. She was too peppy about the whole thing." He blew air out his lips. "Started rattling about prom traditions and I had to sit there and listen to a bunch of her high school stories. Total music geek like you."

"Really?"

"Yeah, she played like a million instruments, I guess." Billy paused. "Happiest I've seen here in the time we knew each other was her talking about that."

"She must miss it." Evie shrugged. "Music. I know I would. I'd end up face down in a ditch."

"Still waiting to bring up the summer contest to Mona?"

"Yeah, I can't even think about it right now." Evie let a shuddered breath go. "The timing has to be absolutely perfect to get that yes. It's at the end of summer. I have time."

"Right." Billy craned to see the road ahead while they found their way back to Cherry.

"Shit." Evie was against the window when they arrived back at her house. "My mother has a man over. I locked my bedroom, she probably thinks I'm sleeping. Hell." An unfamiliar car sat in the drive next to Mona's. Shiny red Plymouth. "Hate that stupid make," she muttered. "Iris was right, she always is. I know my mom's hiding her dates, they never get serious."

"Sleep at my place?" Swerved to park around back of his dark house.

"No, we'll definitely get caught. I'll sneak in my bedroom window and hope they're out so I can hit the bathroom. Usually these creeps are gone before sunrise. Ugh, she doesn't bring many home, they go to their place. Must have been a rager they hit."

"I could keep you company." Billy drew his hand up her tight-clad thigh. Evie swept around for a kiss.

"Back seat offer still open?" She mumbled, unbuckling.

"Always is." He nudged and pushed her by the hips into the back before he was joining.

"What if your parents wake up?"

"No lights," Billy dropped into her body. "Kiss me, Eves, you're killing me in that dress." Hands drew up rough sapphire sequins. The moon illuminating her without streetlamps in darkness. "You look like a star. A vision in blue."

"Oh, I do?" Evie's lipstick smeared red on him, arms winding to bring Billy against her. "You've said that before. Not that I'm tired of it."

Cramped together, Billy pushed her dress up and lowered. Face between her thighs the moment he shimmied her hose and panties off. Fingers grasped for his curls at the feel of stubble scratching tender skin.

"Billy, come..." Evie moaned for him. "Come back up here." Hot kisses melted them together before he was thrusting. Rocking together slowly with their fingers lacing. Utterly bringing down every star they could touch.

Evie cursed him softly and begged for another kiss that was granted. Light spatters of spring rain hit the car. Blurring the world apart. Fog covered the windows until Evie's desperate hand shot out to swatch across the dew. Leaving a mark with her sharp cry. Billy had followed her into the same fog. He put his head on her chest. Heard the pulse thump and let her cradle his shaken frame this time.

"I trust you," she uttered. Kissing his crown of gold curls until he came up. Lips parted for his tongue. Billy kissed her drunkenly. Came out with sparkling blues. "I just wanted to say that because it means something to me."

"I trust you, Eves." Lips twitched into a lazier grin then edged her jaw again. "Prettiest angel in Indiana." Billy's nose nuzzled at her collar to inhale perfume. Evie giggled lighter. "I think you like being on my arm."

"Please, Billy, you're on mine." She teased, nosing at his cheek before she kissed him once more. Hands cupped his face. Made him feel like he was floating here. With her. "I gotta get inside soon and so do you."

Billy whined about it but adjusted so they could fix their clothing. Evie felt for her heels and slipped them on. Tucking her undergarments into the denim she'd all but stolen off him.

"I'll see you tomorrow." She took his hand. "Want to help me sneak in the window?"

"I guess." They hurried between the dark houses in shadows. Rain misting their faces. Evie pulled Billy against her. Stole as many kisses as she dared. Hands roaming. She pulled out and saw him there.

"You might be the most beautiful boy I've ever seen, you know that?"

"Might be?" Came the challenge.

"Are." Evie corrected. She swiped the rain from his mouth with one thumb before tasting him again.

"You know it's been over a month. You and me." She mused, arms around his neck. "Us."

"We could hit a movie next weekend. Celebrate."

"Get milkshakes and sneak all sorts of candies in." Evie agreed, pecking his lips. "Drive up to our spot near Lover's Lake and fool around for as long as we want."

"You read my mind. You're so smart, Evie. God, it's fucking hot." Billy cupped her bottom to bring them back together.

"Come summer, it'll be warm enough for that picnic date you promised me." She began to loosen her grip on Billy, shifting to push her window up.

"Hey, hey, no rush." A few more kisses in the dark followed. Billy helped Evie climb into her bed where Blue perked up and went to her litter box in the corner. Evie shifted, hand covering Billy's in the frame. "Don't you have too many dreams about me now."

"Yeah, yeah. Be careful sneaking back in." She captured his mouth before he could reply. "We'll talk tomorrow."

A wink followed that made her smile bright. Billy's fingers brushed her chin as he slipped away. She waited until he was safe in his room to fall back into bed with the sweetest sigh.

So stupid happy with this boy.

"Oh, but anyone who knows what love is, " she sang to the full and bright moon filling her soul, "will understand..."

Evie slept well that night and dreamed.

Dreamed of technicolor clouds and metallic confetti. Dreamed of spinning round and round and round. Skirts flying up like a princess in a fairy tale. Dreamed of warm sand and emerald grass and honey skin and gold spun curls.

Dreamed of Billy with two feather, white wings flocking to caress her. Rose petals that swayed in the wind delicately. Waiting kisses. Billy bending her back as she lay there for a soft kiss of revival. Both of them draped in sheer veils. Waterfalls that sparkled, cascading ripples. The sun meeting the moon like a secret lover. Frogs chirping. Fireflies and luna moths dancing. Shooting stars.

They glittered in Billy's eyes when he came to lie down with her. She kissed him and drew out to see a beach with the sun painted all blush and tangerine. He fell upon the sand with her. Eyes locking. One hand stretched out to cradle and caress her jaw, thumb sweeping the supple cheek.

Evie registered the waves rolling to shore. Felt them rocking closer in rhythm. Thought she heard soft hymns in the distance to underscore the calm waters. Wind sighing far too soft. Evie could have sunk here. Been taken away by the waters so as long as he came with. And Billy would surely join her.

The waves rolled higher. Started to soak their hair and clothing. Rising to fill every space and notch.

Evie saw the shine of Billy's eyes gloss and shut hers. Not wanting to see the flood. What it could mean. She gasped to wake in bed, sending Blue clamoring up into the air.

"Sorry, Blue Bear." She breathed almost like the dream would become a nightmare. "Strange."

A twist in her gut welled hot. Stabbing. The sound her stomach made sent her scrambling out into the bathroom to void whatever she'd eaten that was ready to come out. Evie went for her gloves and saw spots of red.

Fuck. Her stomach was still twisting unpleasantly.

A grim expression crossed her face. Not wanting to know today, she flushed the evidence away and washed her clammy face. Brushed her teeth and wandered out with a stretch. A satisfying crack had her yawning. The clock blinked 9:32am. Blue came to her little dish for food, munching in the corner as Evie plucked a bowl down.

She felt herself swaying still. The strange dream that hoped and haunted. Billy caressing her face. A hand lifted to recall the moment, patting her cheek as she turned to a ghost. A demon. A monster.

A man.

The bowl dropped from Evie's fingers. Dreams rotted to ashes. Shattering into pieces that sent Blue back to her room. Spreading chipped, painted flowers on ceramic across her feet.

"I'm sorry, Evie." The specter plucked a specific memory from the not-too-distant past. "I figured you'd heard me coming."

Fredrick Bowers. Standing at her kitchen opening as if he'd been here a hundred times. As if he haunted these walls. Wore a loose, long sleeved tee with some bar's logo and flannel bottoms. Looking at Evie's horrified expression with so much casual certainty.

As if he hadn't waited for this moment for weeks. As if he hadn't lingered three steps behind Evangeline Fenny this entire time.

Evie's fingers twitched to curl. Movement that shot signals up her arms. To her spine. Toward her brain stem. Move. Scream. Run.

"I'll warn you next time." He cocked that darling grin that used to make her melt and bloom those bursting cartoon hearts.

Evie finally shuddered to breathe. Built a scream that perched up into her throat.

"Wouldn't do that if I were you, Evie." A chiding finger lifted.

The scream became a distant whimper from a little girl too afraid to beg this specific word growing up.

"Mama."

She welled up. Shuddered and shook. Thought she might have a heart attack.

"Freddy! Oh, Evie. Oh, dear. I'm sorry, both of you. Time just kept moving." Mona hurried between them. One hand on Fredrick's chest. She donned an old silk robe with huge sleeves like a kimono. Red with cherry blossom trees swaying. "This is not how I wanted the introduction to go."

Evie's eyes drew to Mona's dainty hand on Fredrick's heart. Her smile. That specific love struck smile she used to reserve only for Jack Fenny. She gave Fredrick's tee this playful tug to straighten it. Evie stood there in the frumpy sweatshirt dress she'd worn to bed with red heart-shaped sunglasses all over it.

Fredrick hadn't taken his blazing eyes from Evie the second he saw her again.

"Evie. Oh, honey, I'm sorry about this. Ah... This is my boyfriend. I know you've met." Mona fanned herself and peered down. "Evie, the floor!" She bent over to sweep pieces into a pile. Fredrick stared at Evie as he grasped a loose rag to drop it for Mona to gather the shards.

"It might seem strange, Evangeline. I know I was your teacher briefly-"

"Year and a half almost." Evie cut without a tone in her voice.

"-I ran into Ramona in the city. Some things are always up to fate, I suppose." He had shrugged.

Fate. Evie wanted to scream. Wanted to pound. Wanted to dig ceramic shards out of the trash and spit blood at him.

"You're dating my mother." She said. Calm and even. No acceptance.

"I had hoped for you two to meet over a nice dinner," Mona lamented, "we've been going out since March. Over a month in. I didn't want it to be so strange for you, darling." She came to touch Evie's face smelling of her pretty lotions and oils. Not seeing her daughter's expression shattering.

"I'm not her teacher, Mona dear," Fredrick reminded them, "not anymore."

"Tonight, I'll make a nice dinner and we can do this properly, Evie. Oh, rats. I'm late. I'm so late." Mona fussed around and an arm caught her in in the doorway.

"I'll drive you, love." He kissed her mother on the mouth. Caught Evie's eyes again. "I'll be along in a moment, I just want to catch up with Evie a second."

Check and mate.

Mona spirited herself away in a dream. Falling steadily into love and fire. Into rust and stardust. Evie knew the taste well. Knew the strength and fight it took to escape.

Music picked up as her mother primped to get ready for the salon. Fredrick pushed his hands into his pockets. Took one step. Evie went back until she hit the sink.

"You're dating my mother." She breathed out again.

"She's a lovely woman. Talkative. Malleable. Looks more like you with brown hair. I'm glad she took my suggestion to dye it back." He noted kindly, still curling a grin. Disgusting. "I see what you mean. Still learning so much about my special girl. Oblivious Mona Fenny. She certainly means well, I guess that's still why you paid the price."

"Shut up." She welled.

"Yes, Evie, I remember every little thing you told me about you. About her. How you wept in my arms. How I made you feel so much better." He towered over her. Shadow pulling up toward Evie's eyes. "You not rushing to beg for her help tells me it's all true. Tells me that you understand how things are going to work from now on."

"From now on?"

"I enjoy her company. But, I came back for you, sweetness. I thought about it all. Long and hard." He reached up and Evie flinched back. Face contorting. "Look at me right now." A cold hand gripped her jaw, tilted her to look. Looking was hard. She saw herself in the black of his eyes. Terrified. "I don't want to hurt you, Evie. You're so special to me."

"I'll tell her-"

"I especially don't want to hurt your sweet mother either. You said some harsh things. But, really, she isn't that bad. It would pain me to have to hurt her because of you." He clipped. Evie snapped off. He had her. "You're going to be a good daughter and do as you're told from now on. You're going to do as I say too. I think that goes without saying. Your mother doesn't deserve the pain you might put her through. We both know that."

Fredrick truly looked like he might kill her. And her mother. Frankly, Mona realizing the truth of it seemed just as bad. She'd scorn her daughter. Hate her. Feel true disgust.

She'd just die.

"Did you sleep with her?" Evie let one tear roll so he caught it. Sighed as if it were a chore.

"I had to, to keep up the charade. To find you again. Don't read too much into it. I did it for us."

Evie choked on that. Turned to puke into the sink. Fredrick reached over to run it. Rubbing her back as Mona's peppy Dolly music kept the sounds hushed.

"What are you going to do?"

"Whatever I want now, love. I always knew what was best for you. Maybe I'll whisk you away. Maybe I'll romance sweet Mona and propose. Be everything you need. We'll be better than Lolita. We'll be happy." He cupped Evie's jaw in one hand, felt her shaking as she tried not to throw up more bile. "And you're not going to interfere with what's best. You or that boy you're fooling around with. Make your little friends understand that." He kissed her head, inhaled into her curls with a contained sound in his throat.

Hands cupped her cheeks. Threatening to squeeze.

"Now, give me a smile. You look so much prettier when you smile at me, Evie."

Evie wiped her quivering lips. Spread them over teeth. Sharp canines on display.

"I always knew you were one of those girls. You're almost perfect. With the right hand, you'll get there." Fredrick patted her head and turned without ceremony. "Look nice at dinner. It'll make your mother happy. We both like seeing her happy, don't we?"

A door shut and Evie collapsed to the floor. Fingers crawling out desperately to hold something. Anything. They danced upon a piece Mona had missed shaped like a little triangle. Evie scratched it down her esophagus, tried not to scream like that would stop it. She scrambled to her bedroom and dressed. Locking Blue in because she didn't trust Fredrick with her kitten either.

Mona could be heard singing in her room. Pampering herself. Falling deeper. Evie climbed out the window and hit the grass below. Still wet with dew. Lungs tried to breathe and failed. She got to her feet and stumbled down the small hill around back.

"Evie!" A call didn't make her turn because it sounded too good. Billy, in a torn muscle tank and tight workout shorts. Stuffing a trash bag into the garbage with a cigarette and annoyed squint. "Hey, Eves."

She kept walking down the back road. Half manic. Eyes wide, wet saucers.

Billy made this whistling sound trying to get her attention before he dropped his cigarette and picked up a pace to follow her. Evie heard him. Made a dash to run. Sticks broke under her tennis shoes. Into the forest as deep as she could get.

"Hey, Evie!" Billy puffed up to sprint. "We both know I can catch you even with my smoker lungs!"

Evie flailed and flew forward, almost impressing Billy behind her as he jumped over stumps and fallen branches. They went deeper into the woods. Evie sprinting harder like a gazelle. Faster. Further.

"Evie! Damn it!" He sounded upset now, grunting to keep up. Something caught her ankle violently before she was flung down a hill into the wet squelch of a tiny, muddy pond. Clothing ruined, Evie pressed her face under the water and scrambled into it's depths.

Submerged totally with bubbles pulling muted screams to the surface.

She howled there. Everything from her fingers to her spine contorting.

Evie wailed with no breath left until she began to choke. Hair all directions. Fierce little siren sinking into the blue. Hoping to be taken away. She wondered if Hamlet's Ophelia died peacefully or if she screamed to the very end. Probably the latter, she was owed that much.

Until Billy yanked her torso out to stop her from drowning. Dragged her back to the dirt and grass.

"Hey, hey!" He tried to pin her arms as she bucked and fought him. Sputtering while fingers combed her curls back. Evie pushed her face into Billy's chest and wailed again. Fingernails about cut into the skin of his back as she grabbed for him to hold tight. "Evie, shit. Evie! Stop! What happened?"

"He's screwing my mother." She'd muffled into his ruined shirt.

"What?"

"Fredrick Bowers is having sex with my mother!" She shot up with eyes in a helpless fury. "He did it to get back at me. He's...He's dating her. He used everything I said and he stalked her and he brought her into this shit and he's been seeing her this entire time!" Evie cursed him. Felt that same stab in her stomach again. She beat at the ground and made a cry that sent birds flapping away.

Billy had this open mouth look of horror that scrunched with some rage.

"C'mon."

"No! No!" Evie planted herself on him there. "We can't do anything. He knew this was the only way back and I can't do anything."

"I said that I'd stop him, I will!"

"He screwed me and he's screwing my mother, do you realize-?"

"Yes, and I'm stopping it!" Billy tried again to get up but Evie dove on him. Arms winding desperately. Muddy water dripping.

"It'll kill her either way! Fredrick's hands or the truth, I can't!" Evie cried again. Billy went still. "He knew. I can't do anything, don't you realize that? He threatened her, Billy."

"Evie." Billy plucked her face up, wiping mud from her cheek. "You can't go into that house if he's in there."

"He has my mom." She welled. "I have to play this stupid game. I have to. I can't... She can't know anything. I'll go back. I'll make nice. I'll be so good. I'll keep making nice, high school is ending. I can run after."

"You think he's not planning some grand escape with you?"

"I'll leave right after graduation."

"He'll chase you."

"And that'll get him away from my mother. I don't know what else I can do here. You think the police will help? You think my mother will? You didn't see Fredrick's eyes, something's changed. My mother's falling in love with him, I can't stop it."

Billy hardened at her there. Got angry so she didn't see that he felt helpless.

"Here's what we're going to do."

"We? You can't beat him up again, Billy. That won't work."

"I'll play with you." He insisted instead. "We're gonna go back and get cleaned up. We're going to tell our parents that we're dating. I'm sticking by you. We'll shove it in Bowers' dirty face. If we can't move, neither can he."

"Your dad."

"Don't care about him." Billy paused and Evie pushed up. "Frankly, he might like it."

"We're having dinner tonight. A formal intro to their...relationship." Evie touched her head. "My mother can't know anything. Nothing about Fredrick and I. It'll break her."

You saved my life, Evie. Mona said it over and over again until Evie was twisted to pieces.

"I have to save her." The words crushed in her throat. Choked her.

"I'm not letting you sit alone with him. That's not happening."

"I can handle, Fredrick. He wants his little Lolita child bride. Fine. I'll be a horrible child for him." She sneered, fists clenching on her wet knees. "This is my fault. I fell for him in the first place. I did this. I've been such a dirty girl, Billy."

"You think you didn't have a target on your back the moment he saw you in school?" Billy's chest fell. "That wasn't your fault and neither is this. He's a piece of shit. A leech. You're not dirty, Evie, you're just hurt and trying to grow up."

"I still fell for him." She uttered pitifully, head shaking. "I can't bring you into this, too."

"Already into it." Billy's shoulder's fell before he took Evie's face and kissed her cold forehead. "Not leaving. It's me and you. It's us. Right?"

She sniffled at him, nodding with the shivers in full bloom.

"I'm gonna keep you safe. Away from him. Start sneaking you into my window. Okay?" Billy pressed his lips. "C'mon, get up. We'll clean at your place if they're gone.

"He painted it red." Evie blinked several times.

"What?" Billy was heaving her to her feet, pulled in close to his frame.

"His car."

** ** **

It was carefully planned. Right down to the outfit. Evie wore a yellow-orange sunset printed tee because Fredrick once said the colors weren't becoming on her. She tucked it into some fitted jeans. He didn't like her to wear jeans. Didn't like how they hugged her tummy and how she looked less lady-like. Whatever that meant.

Billy's ring hung in the open.

Three knocks.

She was surprised when Neil answered. A smile crossed. Painted a firetruck red.

"Good evening, Mr. Hargrove." Evie batted her lashes, hands clasping for a cute shrug. Something particularly obscene and signature in only the way Evangeline navigated the world. "Is Billy here?"

"Uh, he is." Neil called out for his son. "Has he done something or do you two have a school obligation?"

"Oh, he's my dinner guest." Evie chirped. Neil's eyes narrowed on her, mustache twitching. "I wanted to fetch him, you know he likes to take his time getting ready at that mirror. Boys." She giggled and Neil twitched this almost bemused look.

"Hey." Billy stepped beyond Neil. Ignoring him. Lips pecked Evie's blushed cheek. "Not late."

"Not this time." She quipped, one palm flat on his chest to giggle as if Neil wasn't there.

"Dad," he began, "you know, Evangeline Fenny, our neighbor. We're dating." Tone sounded like he was ordering breakfast. "She's also my prom date in May. I need a tux and corset."

"Corsage, silly." Evie preened in her deepest daydream of dreams. "I'm not picky about flowers. Boys usually get white, cause it'll go with everything."

Neil's brows were already up his head. Evie reached for Billy's hand.

"Oh?" He managed there. "Evangeline?"

"It's new, sir, for both of us." She explained carefully. "We wanted our parents to know first of course."

Neil stood there dumb as if nothing in life could have prepared him for this exact moment. His wily alley cat of a son dating. Committing. Talking prom and flowers. Smiling like that. Like the sun had come out.

"We're having dinner at my house to tell my mother. I hope that's okay?" Evie had further gushed. Neil blinked a couple times, plastered a half smile.

"Well, you'll have to spend tomorrow night at our house. Tell us all about...this thing." Neil gestured aimless at them. Billy gave Evie's hand a squeeze, tugged.

"Yes, sir." Billy cocked his head. "Evie."

"Bye, Mr. Hargrove. Great tie." She waved as they went down the steps, hurrying off together. Evie pushed in close to Billy. "Fredrick will be here any minute." As if on cue, the red Plymouth was charging forth to park. Fredrick pushed out and met Billy's eyes. A bouquet of red poppies bundled under one arm.

"Freddy!" Mona bounced, already clicking excitedly to kiss him. Arms tossed to bring him in close. Evie felt her skin crawling. Billy squeezed her hand again. "Oh? Billy. What are you-?"

"I invited him to dinner." Evie sprang forward. "I figured if you wanted to give me an intro to...yeah. I can also tell you my good news. Billy and I are dating."

"Ooh! By Laveau herself, thank you. Finally!" Mona rushed to them. "That's so lovely. You know, I always had a feeling about this. A good one. Billy, come on, come inside. We have plenty of food."

Mona stole Billy away and left Evie to face Fredrick coming toward her.

"I brought flowers."

Evie snatched them. Tossed them in the trash.

"Evie!" Mona had turned.

"They'll hurt my cat." She stared up at Fredrick. Grinned with force. "But, the thought matters."

"You're right. My mistake. Little thing can barely fend for itself." He passed her. Evie chilled and followed, hurried to Billy's side as he dragged to be near her. They went inside. Mona pulled Evie to help with dinner. Left the boys to set the table.

"Bobby, was it?" Fredrick turned his head, not caring that Billy was in his class.

"You know my name." Billy narrowed. "And you know what I look like standing over you after you hurt my girl. Things are gonna move nice and easy around the Fennys. Got it?"

"Not attacking me? I'm shocked. Evie made some impression. Poor thing. She always worried too much."

"I lost my mother, Fred, and Evie isn't losing hers either way this spins." Billy stood his ground there. "But, if you get near her, I'm promising two hits. I hit you, you hit the ground."

"I've let the past go, I'm sure you can as well, son. It's clear we both care about Evangeline." Fredrick softened there. Billy turned razor sharp.

"Is it?" Blue eyes sparked. "Call me son again and I'll rip your tongue out your throat."

"Hey. It's ready." Evie came between them with a plate of rolls. "Blackened chicken. Dirty rice."

The mission: ruin Fredrick's evening with teenage mushy crap.

Billy and Evie sat too close. They kept touching. Arm. Shoulder. Knee. They fed each other bites. Things they both would have found annoying. They snickered and whispered like they were alone there. Shared savory kisses.

"Can you hand me another roll, Billy?" Evie cocked her head. "I'd like it if you buttered it for me. With honey this time, too."

"My pleasure, Eves." He caught Fredrick clearing his throat.

"So, you two. Cat's out of the bag. I have to know what exactly happened." Mona drank from her glass. "Freddy, you should have seen them snip and bicker before. Like two angry jungle cats."

"We still do, mom, keeps things interesting." Evie nibbled from the hot roll, not hungry.

"Bobby was quite the Don Juan around class. The girls fawned."

"Billy." Evie corrected first. Fredrick chuckled with a loose shrug.

"Eighteen and still wanting people to call you, Billy, William?" He continued. "One of those little boy habits. Endearing for sure."

"Like the sweet way it sounds when Evie says it, Fredrick." Billy winked, tugging a curl for good measure. "So, you two. If my dad dated my ex-teacher, I'd die. Small world though. Tell us the story."

"Well, I was at this party at a bar and it's so embarrassing, we bumped right into each other. Red wine everywhere." Mona patted Bowers' arm as he chewed.

"Never did get the stain out." He peered at Evie who stared back. Colorless. "I said it was my fault and I owed her another stiff drink. All's fair."

"And we just got to talking. I didn't even know he'd taught at Hawkins until our first date later." Mona touched her lips. "Well, I knew it was kismet...after we spilled the wine, Freddy made a reference to Dolly's song. 'Coat of Many Colors.' I about died with laughter. It was gift wrapped."

"Wow, almost like he already knew that about you." Evie side-eyed Fredrick there. "That's so cute, mom, you call him Freddy. Totally adorable. Baby, maybe we should have nicknames?"

She knew Bowers loathed the nickname, he'd told her once.

Evie rubbed Billy's thigh again, watched him smile.

"You're just, My Angel, Eves. Flung out of space." Billy Hargrove. Stunning boy over the moon for her.

Coy, she bit her lip. Kept rubbing his legs until the denim heated. Billy's arm was loose around her chair, thumb drawing circles into cotton. She slowly went back to her plate and saw Fredrick's eyes blare. Two massive headlights intent on her.

"I only know Freddy as good old Mr. B. Always letting me borrow his books." Evie cut tiny bites without looking down. "Always taking an interest in his students. Always available after school."

"You know, I often find they return that kindness right back to me." Fredrick chimed in, wiping his lips on a napkin. "So rewarding." There was a jolt when something squeaked under the table. Blue scrambled up Billy's leg. "Oh, sorry, I must have stepped on its tail." He said that in the same even voice.

"I'll put her in my room." Evie shot up to take the kitten. Locked her away safely. Her own heart was a hummingbird. Whirling around a cage. Aching for pins and gemstones and shattered chicken bones left over on their plates. Mute, she returned to take her seat.

Exhausted.

"Banana cream pie for dessert." Mona popped up to get it. Not at all present.

"One of my favorites." Evie rubbed Billy's thigh again, they leaned in for a kiss. Tongues sweeping.

"Thought most sweets were, sure look like you got your fill." Fredrick remarked crudely with Mona out of earshot. Evie leaned out to sit back, chest sinking. "Look a little plumper since I last saw you. Probably don't fit all those little lace things I bought you."

"Doesn't matter as long as Billy can lift me. Same size. Plenty active. I skate fast and hit hard. And I look better out of them." She placed both hands on the table. "And I prefer silks and satin to lace. You always forgot that." Tension left the second Mona returned. All of them flashing kind smiles. "Mom, Billy and I wanted to make a late showing tonight. Can we have our pie later?"

"Well, I'll never stand between young love." Hands came up to usher them. Evie hurried up tugging Billy with her. Lips near his ear as they went to the hallway so she could pick a coat.

"Grab your keys, meet me at my window." She pushed him to go off and went into her room. Only got two seconds to collapse before Billy was tapping the glass. Evie gathered what she needed and opened it. Offering him a small cat crate.

"What are you doing?"

"He's gonna hurt my kitten, she can't live here anymore." Evie stared at the floor. "Put her stuff in your car, we'll take her somewhere else."

"Evie." Billy stopped her. She refused to meet his eyes. "You think he won't hurt you the same?"

"Take her stuff. Please."

Irritated, he took two trips. Gathered all Blue's things as Evie fought tears and grabbed her coat.

"Bye, mom." She whooshed by to go. Smacking the door to rush into Billy's open arms waiting.

"Dry your eyes until we're in the car." He got the door for her and hurried around. Blue meowed and pawed to get to Evie through bars. Not understanding. "Where am I taking you?"

"Carol lives in a tiny apartment. Tommy probably can't either, his mom's allergic. Heather's parents don't allow pets." She paused. "Steve's parents don't care what he does. They're never home. Maybe the company will be good for him."

"Christ." Billy put the key in. Drove off with no music. No talking. They got to Loch Nora and pulled up to Steve's place. "What if he says no?"

Evie didn't answer and got out with Blue's cage, pushing her finger in to let the kitten nuzzle her. Billy eyed then and knocked on the door. A beat before steps resonated and Steve was standing there in his pj pants with a fitted tee.

"Uh, hey..." One hand pushed those pretty brown locks back.

"Hey, can we come in?" Evie began. Dead. "Gonna tell you a secret."

Steve swept his eyes between them. Wordlessly stood back to let the couple inside.

** ** **

"You're not going back into that house!" Steve's protest near echoed. The story brought him no ease. None at all. "Hargrove, back me up."

"Already tried that. It's about her mother." Billy continued, perched in a desk chair near the window as Evie and Steve shared seats on the bed.

"This guy is screwing with your life, Evie, he's dangerous. He's sick." Steve had this fierce look when her eyes lifted. "Are you listening to me?"

"I just need to know if you can take Blue in. She's sweet," brown eyes welled, "she won't be any trouble. Please. I figured she'd like it with you better."

Steve's shoulders fell before he wrapped Evie in a hug. Almost forgetting Billy's eyes there.

"I'll babysit her until you can take her back." He said before her arms lifted to squeeze him. "You can't go back to that house."

"She's gonna stay with me a few nights. Her doors got locks. I can stay with her. We'll tell the others and they'll help us." Billy paused. "I can sneak her into my room after my dad goes to bed. He's got rules."

"My parents don't give two shits about me, she can come here too." Steve had offered, sounding more wounded. "I'm helping. We should tell the others now."

"I will at school, but they can't... You can't interfere with this. You can't chase him off, he'll hurt my mom. I have to figure out a way around him. I have to wait this out. She's gonna find out. I can't..." Evie's leg bobbed. Blue roamed Steve's desk across from them, smelling every inch of his belongings.

"You're gonna wait him out?" Steve looked to Billy helplessly.

"I don't have much of a choice here, Steve."

"We can go to Hopper." He stood but she snatched him back down.

"No cops!" Evie surged, all spite. "My mother will... Steve, you think anyone will really believe me? A fat girl with starry eyes and teenage fantasies. Just look at me! No one, but us."

Steve searched her, head shaking before he rubbed at his neck.

"Fine, but do me a solid and sleep here tonight. Both of you, I don't care. My parents have been gone pretty much all month and they keep extending the trip. I can't...I..." Steve cut himself off and welled. Something he buried deep cracked to the surface. "You know, Barbara Holland was at my house the night she disappeared? Alone, outside. Right out that window. I didn't check on her. See her walking to her death."

"Steve." Evie touched his leg and Billy's eyes dropped there. "That wasn't your fault. What happened to Barbara was an accident."

"Yeah, well I was too busy being selfish to help it. I wanted her to leave so Nance and I could sleep together." He crossed his arms. "Not watching another friend walk into danger at night. Don't care if you guys wanna screw in my bed. Just stay here tonight... Might help the runt transition."

Steve pointed to Blue pawing at his coat sleeve. Evie cracked a genuine smile.

"I'll call my mom and tell her not to wait up for me."

** ** **

Steve showed them to a guest room with a huge bed at the center. Neither seemed daunted when Evie half undressed facing away from them. She seemed to not be all there either way.

"The bed's not pressed to a wall." She said, standing in her underwear and shirt. Arms tight around herself with shuffling bare feet

"Rich people decorate weird, I know." Steve shrugged, dropping extra blankets at the foot of the bed. "You should just try to get some sleep. As many hours as you can."

Billy ushered Evie by the wrist into the middle of the bed.

"Can you both stay around," she curled up, "maybe until I fall asleep?"

"Both?" Steve gave Billy this wary glance until he sighed and cocked his head. Jeans were tossed next to Evie's pants before Billy tucked in behind her. Carefully, she patted the bed until Steve sat down atop the covers.

"Can you maybe lay down? I just...I usually tuck into the wall with my pillows. Compacted."

"Not gonna smack you." Billy mumbled behind her, head lifting to watch Steve recline. Fully clothed. Still atop the covers.

"Better?" He side-eyed Evie and saw her curls bob. Blue curled up on Billy's jeans to knead at them. Purring. Steve reached to shut the lamp out and gave this shaky breath.

"Not gonna bone next to you." Billy broke the weird silence, arm shifted over Evie's side so she could tuck back into him.

"That's a relief. I just don't feel like doing laundry." Steve lowered his voice and shifted awkwardly on his side. Caught Evie's eyes peeking up as she pulled the covers to her nose.

"You're not comfortable." Evie muttered there.

"I'm fine."

"You're planking in jeans next to me. It's cold."

"I don't want to make you uncomfortable and I don't want the pack of meat behind you to put me in the hospital again." Steve curled one arm under his head. Evie felt the words twang bitterly and felt Billy inhale sharper behind her.

"That was fucked up." He said, moving to lie on his back. "Would you believe it...if I said that it had not much to do with you?"

"Yeah, actually. I would." Steve pressed his lips. "You came to school the week after...looking almost as bad. Guessing that wasn't Max. Sometimes, you need a bad fight. Keep you out of a worse one. I figured the worse one still found you."

"It did." Billy licked his lips. "Fucking punchline."

"Literally." Steve twitched a smile and Billy actually chuckled. They both did softly when Evie nestled between them. Safe. Billy shifted back into her, got his arm pulled over her stomach so she could hold onto him.

"Do you guys ever feel this...pit inside you? Not hard like a cherry or peach pit. Just this strange nothing you can't fill no matter what you...?" Evie trailed off. "You sink and spiral and you just wanna feel real again. Wanna feel in control of something. You don't want to fill it with real food or anything like that. But, you know it's there and it's starving. And you're starving too."

"Usually try beer or whiskey." Came Billy's reply. She shrank a little. Not joking. Billy picked that up quick. "You mean like something is missing?"

"How do I know it was even there to begin with?"

"Evie," Steve began, "this thing with Bowers-"

"It's not just him. It's everything. Don't you feel it even when you're happy? Like really happy?" Evie exhaled. "It's like a big tear that just unravels to get bigger and you'd do anything to fill it so-...I don't know what I'm saying. It's not happy or sad. It's nothing. It's not me and it's not the me I pretend to be for my mother. It's something in between. It's a big, wide nothing."

Maybe she wasn't grateful. Mona has insinuated that on occasion before.

Billy went quiet trying to read her.

"It's just...everything is so much. Even happiness. I don't know how to handle it all. Sometimes, I don't know what I'm allowed to feel and what I'm supposed to do with it. Everything." She curled into the pillows and felt lips touch her temple. Brown eyes fluttered to see Steve pulling out.

"You feel any damn thing you want. Maybe you need to let other people help you carry it," he offered, shifting down at Billy's head perking to eye him like a tense jungle cat, "you know, when it's too much?"

"Y-Yeah." Evie swallowed. "That's the problem. Letting go."

"What do you want right now?" Steve continued harder. "Just...right this second, Evie, what do you want?"

"I want my mom and dad." She rasped without missing a beat. "I wish they weren't so fucked up. They hurt me. They put it there, the big pit. They both put their sickness inside me and then the blame, too. The nothing..."

Evie shattered. Became fully immersed. Fully aware. Yanked from her daydreams. She tried to articulate the hopes and needs that sunk to hide under her skin. Hands pushed to cover the crumbling expression before she was sobbing. Drowning like Ophelia bobbing in an endless sea. Kissed by wind and flower petals. Beautiful and romanticized only in death.

No justice in that.

"Hey, hey, Evie." Billy pushed up to hush her. One broad palm on her arm. He darted to accuse Steve and let the tension drop off his back. Shoulders sagged. "Get under the covers, Harrington. Help me calm her down."

Steve blinked at him, waited for it to be a test.

Evie wasn't letting the burden go so Billy seized to help himself and extended the olive branch to someone else she clearly trusted. Someone who brought comfort even when he, himself, was being a dick. Steve's jeans hit the floor before he shimmied in next to Evie, pulling her close so Billy could close in behind her.

Compacted between two warm bodies, she stiffened at the proximity. Sniffling followed. Billy kissing her hair and tracing lines until Steve brought her to burrow into his chest. Neither boy picked a fight to bicker with the other. Evie's whimpering tapered off until exhaustion took her away. Maybe by force but she was sleeping deeply moments later.

Billy and Steve sandwiched her in under the covers. Shooting each other idle looks in the dark.

"You ever have a thing for Evie?" Billy asked it blunt and without threat.

"Dunno. Feels all jumbled since Nancy." Steve might have blushed. "I mean, I like her and all. She and Heather brought me out of my stupid funk. Heath tried many times to set us up, but I chickened out each time."

"Hm."

"I mean, she obviously liked you even if you were an asshole." Steve paused. "Are. Are an asshole."

Billy cracked this almost smile.

"And you're a gentleman, huh?"

"No, I'm just too damn nice these days. Did and said some fucked up things. You might have liked me if you showed up one year earlier." Steve deflated some, freezing as Evie's nose nuzzled into his tee. "I like Evie. I like hanging out with her. Just not ready to put my heart on the line."

"Wheeler mangled it pretty bad?"

"No, I did that." Steve blinked, head shaking.

"You are too nice." Billy decided without any real judgement. "Evie would have said yes."

"I know. And she would have been too nice to break things off and I would have had to nudge her toward you inevitably. Shove pride aside to be a big person."

"Breaking your heart for others isn't love." Billy had uttered after a beat. Steve snapped to see him again. Double-taking as if that really hadn't come out of his mouth.

"No." Steve agreed. "Not the worst thing in the world though. Seeing someone else happy."

"Yeah. Well, Evie's not happy. She's in pain." Billy blinked. Both of them shared a look and veered away. "We're just waiting it out with her."

"There's gotta be something." Steve's helpless tone had Billy tensing.

"We get her out of the house anytime we can. I don't care if she's with you alone, my house is complicated too. Dad likes to play with locks on my door and window. Likes to play with belts and beer bottles, too." It was clear what Billy was asking.

"I'll be there if she needs me." Came the even reply. More assured. Evie made a little sound and shifted over to face Billy. Seeking his scent and fire out. A gentle palm cupped the back of her head. He missed Steve twitching a smile.

"Doesn't feel real. Even after sitting at that table. Bowers is some kind of crazy."

"Jesus, her mother, too."

"If she paid attention to Evie from the start, none of this would have happened." Billy was particularly prickly about that. Steve opened and closed his mouth, unsure if he wanted to agree or be empathetic. "It happened. Doesn't matter now, it already happened."

"We'll tell the others at school. Or Evie will." Steve tried to sound certain. "We'll just be there for her. It's all we can do."

Billy stared at the ceiling. Frowned deeper.

"That's why I'm worried.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

917K 21.1K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
29.2K 815 26
She was like soft, delicate lace, while he was like rough, firm leather. Started June 24, 2022 Finished August 2, 2022
24.3K 1.3K 23
Secrets have always been present in the palaces of great empires, why should Asgard be any different? In the wake of the battle with the Vanaheim reb...
1M 65.1K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...