Thorn in the Rose {Book 1 Of...

By morgangrigori

Belle is a maid living in service of a handsome prince who she falls madly in love with. Jealous of all the o... More

A/N
Dedication
Story Aesthetic
Gifted Him with a Rose
Chapter 1: Bonjour
Chapter 2: Huntress
Chapter 3: A Bitter Anniversary
Chapter 4: Day of the Beast
Chapter 5: Tales by the Fire
Chapter 6: Entertains (Like Gaston)
Chapter 7: Encounters with Knives
Chapter 8: Huntress in her Natural Habitat
Chapter 9: Into the Woods
Chapter 10: The Beast
Chapter 11: The Girl in the Window
Chapter 12: Matching Stories
Chapter 13: Someone to Speak To
Chapter 14: Mentor
Chapter 15: Laying the Foundations
Chapter 16: Hatred and Jealousy
Chapter 17: Solitude
Chapter 18: Days in the Sun
Chapter 19: An Unexpected Alliance
Chapter 20: An F You Letter and A Book With A Purple Cover
Chapter 21: A Promise is a Promise
Chapter 23: The Room of Pain and Selfish Desires
Chapter 24: Partner in Crime
Chapter 25: An Unexpected Agreement
Chapter 26: Not an Idle Threat
Chapter 27: Letters and a Lost Family
Chapter 28: A Nervous Gaston and Hunting Traps
Chapter 29: Through the Darkness and the Pain
Chapter 30: The Secret Wish
Chapter 31: Yellow Sparks
Chapter 32: Valerie
Chapter 33: Powerful Words
Chapter 34: New Levels
Chapter 35: The Frozen River
Chapter 36: This Groundbreaking Discovery
Chapter 37: The Curse of the Rose
Chapter 38: Bits of Blue
Chapter 39: Fingers Crossed
Chapter 40: Poison the Waters
Chapter 41: The Bracelet
Chapter 42: How Could I Have Known
Chapter 43: The Risky Request
Chapter 44: Time Out
Chapter 45: Not Such A Bad Idea After All
Chapter 46: The Long-Awaited Day
Chapter 47: Lost Hope
Chapter 48: The Look of Heartbreak
Chapter 49: The Hidden Statue
Chapter 50: The Stormy Night
Chapter 51: The Night the Wolves Came
Chapter 52: Complicated Feelings and a Murderous Rage
Chapter 53: Tale As Old As...
Chapter 54: A Kept Promise
Chapter 55: Days in the Sun Will Come Shining Through
Forever

Chapter 22: The First of Many Visits

12 1 0
By morgangrigori

The oldest of my brothers Louis is thirteen years older than I am. Not only does this mean that he was more of an uncle to me when I was a child but it also meant that I got a front-row seat to all of his mischievous deeds as he got older. At first, he didn't know that I was watching him, that I was studying his every move with my curious little eyes as I hid behind whatever I felt could give me the best cover.  I watched him steal wine from my mother's collection and take a few sips before passing out from drunkenness. I saw him 'borrow' some money from our uncle one night when the old man was fast asleep and one night I saw him sneak off into the woods with our neighbour's eldest daughter and he only returned early the next morning. 

Watching him used to be my favourite pastime, that was until he caught me spying on him. I half expected him to beat me with a shoe like our mother would have but instead, he would have me cover for him sometimes. He also taught me a few tricks he had picked up while engaging in his secret life and even though he was a real ass sometimes and could be quite cruel to me in others I did pay attention to some of the lessons he gave me. Especially when he told me the best way to sneak out of a house. 

Nighttime is one's best friend when wanting to disappear. The blanket of darkness can hide just about anybody which is exactly what I hope it will do for me right now.

I pull my large dark brown cloak over my head and then proceeded to make my way out of the inn. Not out the door obviously since that was rule number one instead I open my window as wide as it can go and slowly I manoeuvre my body through the opening and using the few odd stones that are laid out on the walls I climb down. 

The second my feet hit I ground I creep over to the stables and release Dante from his confinement. The distant clutter of drunks staggering about helps cover up the sound of Dante's hooves as we move down the streets and out of the village boundary. When soft grass replaces hard stone I mount Dante and push him into a gallop toward the castle where I have no doubt Maurie is anxiously waiting. 

As always Dante is cautious as we grow nearer and nearer to the castle so I tie him as close to the iron gate as he will go. When I am satisfied that he is settled I push open the gates and walk up to the door that was surprisingly already open waiting for me by the steps was Maurie with a gleaming smile on his face. 

"I knew you would come back, you didn't strike me as the kind of person who would go back on their promise."

"Guess you were right." 

"I usually am," he shrugs his face cloaked with a look of amusement but it doesn't last long and a serious expression takes over, "Come on we will need all the time we can get." 

I swiftly follow him through the dimly lit passageways and up a staircase that twists and turns higher and higher up a large tower that like much of the castle is slowly starting to fall apart. At the top of the staircase, there is a large wooden door that opens up to a quaint study filled to the brim with all sorts of books and pieces of paper that are covered in writing. 

"Is all of this yours?" I ask. 

"It was once the study where the prince would take up his schooling but after the curse was placed on all of us and the castle went to ruins I took over it and made it my research center," he says as he walks around lighting every candle around the room, "Every book in here comes from the library downstairs but sadly none of them have helped me in the slightest. I do hope you found that book that I am looking for," he adds. 

He brings the object that he was using to light the candles closer to his mouth and with one swift breath he blows the small flame out and a tiny wisp of smoke floats up into the air, the smell of it fills my nostrils and I can revel in it. As much as I want to stand here and get lost in the scent I have to remember that I have a job to do right now. 

I swing my bag around and open it, revealing the purple book which I now know is the real book based on the big smile that is currently creeping onto Maurie's face. 

"I'm guessing that this is the right book," I say. 

"It certainly is, mademoiselle, and I can not thank you enough." 

I reach into the bag, pull out the book, and hand it to him. Maurie wastes little time and as soon as he has it in his grasp he rushes to the giant desk opens it up and starts working it. 

Not knowing what else to do and with no desire to roam the castle in fear that I will run into the Beast, I take a slow walk around the study and examine all of the books. I've never been much of a reader that position in my family belongs to another one of my brothers- Lucien- but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate a good book here and there. 

The peaceful silence that we seem to have created is quickly interrupted by the sound of multiple people rushing up the stairs, each of them trying their best to remain silent but failing miserably.

 "Oh sweet Lord not now," Maurie sighs. 

The door burst open and four people come rushing in, one man and three women. The two younger-looking women seem bubbly and filled with excitement while the man and the older woman I recognize as Miss Potts from my first visit- are staring at me with cold and observing eyes. 

"I thought I said I didn't want us to be disturbed." 

"I find it amusing that you think you can control us, mon cher," one of the younger women smiles. 

I silently watch as she walks over to Maurie swaying her hips with each step. When she reaches the desk she pulls back his chair, sits in his lap, and plants a kiss on his cheek. If the nickname she called him wasn't already an indicator that they were involved then this confirms it. 

For some reason, I thought that was going to be the end of their love fest but it wasn't, and much to my surprise Maurie gently cups her face between his palms and pulls her in for a passionate kiss. A few seconds later he pulls away from her but not that far back.

"My mistake, my sweet love," he thickly whispers to her before he leans back and claims her lips again. 

This full public display of affection both confuses and disturbs me, the others do not seem fazed by it at all which makes me believe that this is a normal occurrence. 

"Don't mind them, sweetie, they do this at least fifty times a day I'm sure you'll get used to it during your many visits," the second of the younger woman says to me. 

"If she ever comes back after tonight," Miss Potts mumbles under her breath however, she still keeps her voice loud enough so that we can hear her. 

"Oh don't be like that, Potsy, of course she is going to come back." 

I want to burst out laughing at the ridiculous nickname that this woman has given Miss Potts especially since it doesn't suit the old woman at all, but I don't want to anger her so I keep my mouth shut.

"Well I'll have to-" 

"Oh dear where are our manners my name is Amelie and I've been told you've met Potsy. That fine gentleman over there is Charles pay no attention to his cold stare he might warm up to you eventually and that woman who is still kissing Maurie is Fabienne." 

I politely smile at them.  "It's lovely to meet all of you." 

"Well, it's lovely to meet you dear especially since you will be helping my man over here free us all," Fabienne says as she untangles herself from Maurie's grip.

I shrug. "I'm just giving him a book he is doing most of the work here." 

"Don't treat yourself so poorly your role may be small but it is a vital one." 

"I guess so." 

"Well it was so nice of you all to stop by but we really must be-" 

His sentence was interrupted by the sound of footsteps approaching. Maurie jumps up and hides the purple book under his cloak just in time to hide it away from the woman who gracefully walks into the room.

Even though her face was shadowed by darkness the last time I saw her I instantly recognize her. She is the girl that was standing at the window, the one that both those boys and I saw, the one I came to save.

Her presence seems to affect the other a great deal. They all cast their gazes to the floor as if she is too frightening to look at. I think that is utter rubbish she is probably the most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes on, but not even her beauty hides the obvious darkness in her eyes. It's almost frightening but I don't allow it to shake me and I keep my gaze locked with hers. 

"So this must be the little thief  I've been told so much about. Call me crazy, Maurie, but aren't you supposed to chase thieves away not bring them back?" She doesn't shift her attention away from me as she addresses Maurie. 

It feels like she's trying to open up my mind and learn all there is about me with nearly her gaze.

Maurie opens his mouth to say something back to her but I interrupt him before he can even say a single word. 

"Okay none of this is really your business but first of all, I'm not a thief because I didn't take anything, and secondly I'm here to see Maurie, not whoever the hell you are." 

Everyone's eyes widen, this woman from shock, and the others from fear.

"I suppose I should have introduced myself before I spoke badly about you. My name is Belle and I am the lady of this house which means any business you have here is my business as well. You ought to teach your guest some manners, Maurie, or else I shall have to teach her for you."

"I will keep that in mind," Maurie says to her. 

"It was a pleasure meeting you little huntress." I can hear the full sarcasm in her voice and I quickly return it with a fake smile and a mock crusty. 

Belle turns around on her heels and hastily exits the room, closing the door behind her with a slam. 

"You shouldn't have spoken to her like that sweetie now she'll make your life hell when you return," Amelie says with a voice laced with concern. 

I scoff.  "I grew up with three older brothers and a mother who all made my life a living hell most days, so that woman can come for me any day. I bloody dare her." 

I spent at least three hours at the castle tucked away in the study with Maurie and all the others who decided to say and converse with me while he worked. It was enjoyable and everyone except for Miss Potts who was still staring at me with caution.

"When will we see you again?" Fabienne who is still laughing from the joke I told a few minutes earlier asks me. 

"Soon. Very soon."

They each hug me goodbye and despite Maurie's offer to escort me back to the door, I leave on my own. As I reach the entrance lobby I run into the Beast who much like me does not seem happy about this meeting.

"I see you agreed to help Maurie," he says breaking the awkwardness that was hanging over us. 

"I'm not doing it for you," I snap at him.

"Oh, I already knew that." 

I didn't want to engage in any more conversation with him so I hurried past him and ran back to Dante. 

Transaction:

Mon cher= My dear

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

339 18 13
A retelling of Beauty and the Beast as historical fiction set circa 1600s - 1700s in Provence France (fantasy elements removed). A small village cloc...
6.6K 403 10
"You were mine since the day i laid my eyes on you, my angel"he said hovering her petite body which was shivering under his muscular one "P-please m...
789K 45K 40
"Well, well, well." I felt the entirety of my body stiffen. "Pray tell," the masculine voice murmured as his chin rested down onto my shoulder, "what...
1.1K 236 35
My name is Kalista. They call me the beast. Kalista has been cursed by a powerful sorceress and is now a prisoner in her own palace. As petals fall f...