I'm Not That Girl // A. Bridg...

By haleystagner89

Lady Alina Bridgerton is starting her first season with new husbands family but with Lady Whistledown keeping... More

Cast
Playlist
Part I
Lady Alina Bridgerton
Diamond of the First Water
Diamond of the First Water II
Diamond of the First Water III
Shock and Delight
Shock and Delight II
Art of the Swoon
An Affair of Honor
Part Two
The Duke and I
Swish
Oceans Apart
Oceans Apart II
After the Rain
After the Rain II
Heart Stopping
Little Cries
Fin
Sick - Not An Update
Season Two Cast
Part Three
The Letter
Capital R Rake
Capital R Rake II
Off to the Races
(BONUS CHAPTER)
Off to the Races II
Not forgotten/Chapter Coming Soon
A Bee in Your Bonnet
A Bee in Your Bonnet II
A Bee in Your Bonnet III
Victory
Part Four
An Unthinkable Fate
An Unthinkable Fate II

Victory II

4.7K 122 13
By haleystagner89

"How was your conversation with Miss Edwina yesterday?" Daphne asked as she, Violet and Alina continued to add the finishing touches around the ballroom.

"She is certainly a diamond." Alina said with a smile. "She knows exactly when to smile and exactly what to say at all times....It's just that I've always imagined Javi to be with someone more like him."

"Well opposites do attract in certain situations." Daphne offered with a smile. "You know, every time I think my marriage has become simple, Simon and I find some new stone to turn over, a new foible that one of us needs the other to tease out and inspect. It is decidedly irritating." Violet giggled at her daughter's choice of words. Alina nodded in agreement as she thought about all of the twists and turns of her own marriage. "Yet incredibly gratifying at the same time." Alina halted in her movements as she ran her fingers over the leaf of one of the flowers in her hand at the thought. She didn't know if she could say her relationship with Anthony has been gratifying. Of course their...nightly activities definitely but her marriage has been more of a battlefield than she would have expected.

"Miss Edwina is nearly perfect," Alina stated, breaking out of her thoughts as she continued to place her flowers. "But Javi..."

"You think there is not something in all of us that requires a challenge?" Daphne asked, looking over to her. Violet smiled and gently nudged Alina.

"Indeed, there is." She said with a smile. Alina gave a small smile back in return and once they were done with the flowers for the ball Alina made her way up to Javier's room. After a brief knock she stepped inside to see Javier standing by the window watching the gardens with a cigarette between his fingers.

"So this is where you have been hiding, brother." She said as she smiled softly.

"Sister." He greeted and flicked his cigarette out the open window and turned to face her.

"Violet has her ball all set for you." She informed and moved closer to him and stood behind a chair facing the window. Her nose scrunched at the scent left behind his fowl habit. Javier chuckled at her reaction to the smoke.

"Just her? Are you telling me you have had no hand in it?"

"Well, we have both been planning, certainly. But our plans do not require yours to be set." Javier chuckled softly and slid his hands into his pockets at her words but said nothing. So Alina continued. "Miss Edwina is quite lovely. I am certain she will make a perfect wife-"

"Do you still not like her?" Javier asked, looking at his sister in amusement and raised a brow.

"I never said I did not like her." Alina shook her head. "I only wonder if you truly know each other well enough."

"Is that not what marriage is for? You didn't know Anthony before marriage." Alina gave her brother a pointed look.

"You hated Anthony and you do not want to model your marriage after mine, besides it helps if you share similarities." Alina explained which caused Javier to scoff. "Brother, is there really no one you share similarities with? No one at all?" Javier refused to respond and looked back out the window. "How was your hunt with the elder Miss Sharma yesterday? You have not mentioned anything about it."

"I am starting to miss the viscount." Javier said with a humorless smile and finally moved away from the window and headed for the door. "You do not need to concern yourself with this, Li." He called back. Alina sighed and looked down to her hands that rested on the back of the chair. Her eyes catching the gleam from her wedding ring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Javier stood beside the stairs feeling sick to his stomach. He could feel his father's stare from across the hall but made sure to never look in his direction. Just as the music began to swell he spotted the Sharma sisters making their way down with their mother. "Miss Edwina, might I have your first dance?" He asked as she moved up the few stairs to meet the young woman.

"Certainly, my lord." Edwina replied with a bright smile and took his outstretched hand. Kate watched as Javier didn't even spare her a glance as he led her younger sister away. She sighed silently and moved to the banister beside Lady Danbury.

"Have you been enjoying your time alone with the viscount?" Lady Danbury asked with a knowing grin. Kate turned to the older woman surprised by her words. "Yesterday's hunt." Danbury clarified. "It went well, I take it?"

"Oh, yes." She nodded simply. "Of course, yes. Quite well, indeed. Lady Danbury hummed in agreement but soon turned to walk the rest of the way down the stairs smirking. Kate herself made her way down to the side of the dancing floor and watched Javier and Edwina.

"Beautiful aren't they?" Alina asked as she came to stand beside her. Kate looked at her confused. "The flowers." Alina motioned too.

"Ah, yes quite." She gave Alina a small smile. Alina turned and watched her brother as well. "Your brother seems quite happy." Kate said after a moment.

"He does appear to be so." Alina agreed. "My brother isn't always as he seems. Give him the benefit of the doubt, Miss Sharma." Alina gave her one last smile as the dance ended. She made her way through the crowds as Edwina practically skipped over to Kate.

"Lord Javalera has gone to get me a lemonade." Edwina beamed.

"How very thoughtful of him." Kate mused.

"We've just finished our second dance. I'm certain he'd not have asked me for two if he did not have intentions for the evening." Kate tried to smile for her sister.

"I am pleased to hear that." She said lightly but inside herself she felt as if her heart fell a short distance.

"I need you to dance with him." Edwina demanded.

"What?"

"If he is going to declare himself before the end of the ball, as I hope, he shall need to ask you for your blessing. And you are ready to grant him your blessing, are you not?" Kate looked over to the other side of the room to see Javier with two glasses of lemonade. "This may very well be my last chance."

"Miss Edwina." Javier called as he moved closer to the sisters.

"Lord Javalera." Edwina said in response as she took her offered glass. "My sister and I were just speaking." Edwina looked to her sister who remained silent. "She wishes to take the floor."

"Ah. Well, I am certain that–"

"With you." Edwina clarified and took his glass. Javier and Kate stared at each other before he extended his hand to Kate.

"Miss Sharma, may I have this dance?" He asked softly.

"You may, my lord." She said taking his hand and allowing him to lead her to the floor. Alina stood and watched her brother sadly. She could see the affection in her brother's eyes for Kate, she just wished they would both admit it before someone got hurt. Alina startled slightly as Anthony came up beside her and offered her a glass of lemonade.

"For my beautiful wife." He offered. Alina smiled and took her glass. "Are you just about as tired as fighting as I am?" He asked after a few moments. Alina sighed with a small smile.

"You forgive me?" She asked hopeful. Anthony moved forward and kissed her forehead.

"You did nothing wrong." He said softly. "I love you, Alina Bridgerton. I can't help it if I get jealous but I will try my hardest to play nice." At his words the two heard the song end. Alina turned in time to see Javier storm off the dance floor and out of the hall. Alina moved to follow her brother when Kate passed to follow.

"I wonder what happened." She mumbled looking back at Anthony who was just as confused as most of the hall had seen the brief interruption, including his father, Bruno.

"Why are you so distressed?" Kate demanded as she shut the door to the study. She was impressed with his speed from the hall but confused all the same. Javier stayed in the corner breathing deeply and pacing like a trapped animal.

"When will you leave?" He ignored her question all together. "Immediately, once your sister is married?"

"I presume so, yes." Kate answered calmly. Javier leaned against the desk, wishing he had thought to bring his cigarettes with him.

"And you will not concern yourself with finding a match of your own?"

"Why would that concern you?" She demanded in return, keeping her tone leveled with his. Javier shook his head as he pushed off the desk and moved closer to the Sharma woman.

"It seems to me you will find any excuse you can to keep me away from your sister. That is it, is it not? You simply do not like me." He continued.

"Of course I do not like you–"

"Then tell me why." He challenged as he continued to step closer. "Have I done something to you? Why is it that you dislike me so?" He yelled.

"Because..." Kate began as she started to breathe quicker. "Because you vex me!" Kate yelled just as frustrated as he.

"And what is it, do you think, you do to me?"

"What?" She asked not expecting that response from the man. "What do I do to you?" Javier shook his head.

"You..." he started and took a step toward her, "You hate me." Kate nodded and swallowed, keeping her gaze locked with his.

"Yes." She answered softly. "I do." Javier exhaled as moved even closer. "And your heart is with my sister."

"And my heart," Javier cut in, "Is with your sister." Kate closed her eyes and his nose brushed hers very softly. She could feel his breath on her lips which caused her belly to erupt in nervous butterflies.

"What are you doing?" She whispered, not quite pulling away. Javier hovered his lips directly above hers.

"Say you do not care for me." Javier whispered in return and slowly moved his lips to her ear, giving Kate the opportunity to pull away from him at any time. "Tell me you feel nothing, and I will walk away." Her heart ached at the mere thought of Javier moving out of her grasp.

"I feel...I feel..." Just before Kate could feel his lips on hers, like she had craved the door opened and Thomas stopped short seeing them. Javier pulled away as if Kate had shocked him.

"I am so sorry." Thomas cleared his throat and quickly left as Javier called after him and left Kate in the study alone. Thomas quickly pivoted from the study and the loud hall and sighed happily when he spotted a tumbler with amber liquid inside and made a dash for the crystal glasses. Just as Thomas was able to throw back a small amount the door opened behind him.

"It is not what you think." Javier started as he made his way closer to his friend. Thomas chuckled humorlessly and poured himself another drink.

"I am trying very much not to think about it all, my friend." He said softly.

"Thomas, I–"

"You are courting her sister, are you not?" Thomas asked, turning towards Javier.

"And I have every intention of bringing it to a point." Javier claimed.

"Why?"

"Why? Because I am courting her. Because I've decided." Javier continued certain in his words.

"And Alina had decided to marry me two years ago." Thomas had pointed out. "I know I've been quite out of reach since my own wedding was called off but I thought we had grown up to be better than what I just witnessed." Thomas shook his head.

"And you believe yourself to be better than me? You have no idea what it has been this past year. You left because you didn't get what you wanted!" Thomas scoffed.

"I love your sister, do not act like I used her! I have always held affection for her. The same affections you hold for Miss Sharma. The two of you cannot seem to stay away from one another as far as I have seen."

"Because she is aggravating!"

"Oh, is that what I just witnessed?" Javier breathed deeply and reached for the alcohol. "There is obviously something between you. And I know that this is not as you would wish it, I know about the letter he sent you, but you must be honest with yourself. Because one way or another, these kinds of feelings always have a way of coming to the surface."

"And what kind of feelings are those?" Javier asked angrily. "Love." He said simply. "Love and hate come from the same place, Javi." Javier stared at his friend for a long while silent before he stood up straight.

"Then I know what I must do." Without another word Javier swept from the room leaving Thomas. The man sighed and poured himself another drink. He knew coming here was going to be quite difficult but he never imagined how much so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dearest gentle reader, while much occurred at the Bridgerton country visit, this author feels not all is fit to print. Especially when so much is already known by far too many members of the ton. But if you thought we would reach the end of this journey, without this trusted author finding a truly delectable morsel of gossip, then you are sorely mistaken.

Alina stood with Violet as their guests began to leave their home the next morning. She leaned into Anthony's side as Thomas and her father made their way to their carriage, planning to stay with Javier for a few more days before returning to Spain. "So, no other proclamations or secret fiancés I should know about as they leave?" Anthony joked from beside her. Alina laughed softly and shook her head.

"No, not any that I am aware of." She replied looking up to her husband, grateful that he had moved past his anger, although she had a feeling she had yet to see the end of his jealousy. "I wonder where Javi is, he said he would be right down." She thought aloud and looked around for him as the Sharma's were just about to leave the Bridgerton home.

While Prudence Featherington seems to have secured her match, it was not the only occurrence of note.

"Edwina?" Kate called, stopping her sister from entering the cabin of the carriage. "There is something I must tell you." Everyone turned at the sound of running and Kate was stunned to see Javier panting slightly and making his way toward them, determined.

"Might I speak with you?" He asked as he came closer. Alina held her breath as she watched the scene before her unfold.

"Of course." Kate responded, turning to Javier fully.

"That was meant for Miss Edwina." He corrected and kept his gaze locked on the younger sister.

"My lord?" Edwina asked, confused. Without missing a beat Javier knelt down and opened the small container that held his mother's ring and looked up to Edwina.

"Miss Edwina Sharma, will you marry me?" Edwina looked to her sister stunned before turning back to Javier.

"Yes. Yes yes! I shall be your baroness." Edwina smiled widely and handed her sister her glove. "I shall marry you."

Javier Javalera is now betrothed to Miss Edwina Sharma. Victory, indeed. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello my beautiful readers,

Did you miss me?

As Joey Tribbiani would say, I'm back baby! I am sorry for the extreme delay, being sick and death in the family really takes it out of a girl. But I missed you all so much! I hope you all are excited to see Alina and Anthony and the trouble coming their way...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 115 14
Duty, Honor, and Loyalty are the words that Anthony Bridgerton deemed to be his virtues. Yet if you were to ask Angel she would list out all his faul...
94.7K 2.2K 14
London, 1814 . Alina Wellesley, the daughter of the renowned Duke of Wellington is ready to make her debut in society and find a husband. However, wi...
48.5K 1.4K 15
The whole town knew who much Emmaline Davison and Anthony Bridgerton despised each other to the point they couldn't be seen in the same room as one a...
162K 3.7K 16
Magnolia || Colin Bridgerton Every member of the London ton in 1813 knew of the closeness between the Bridgerton and Hayward families. They summered...