After the Rain

The fastest courtship upon record occurred during the markedly wet season of 1804, when Miss Mary Leopold secured a betrothal over a plate of sugared almonds and licorice in just four and a half minutes. Of course, Miss Leopold and her new husband would leave London mere hours after their wedding. Reason unknown. Of all that I have imparted to you, dear reader, there is but one bit of wisdom you must heed most. One can never know the truth of a marriage, one can never know the truth of a marriage hiding behind closed doors. Beware indeed, blushing newlyweds. You know not the future that awaits. Will there be hardship or indignity? Or will one's future see the rarest accomplishment of all, a true love match? As for which of these fates await the eager matches of the season of 1813, two things will tell. Time, and as always, this author.

As the season was winding down, leaving only a few days left, Alina found herself spending most of her days in the drawing room of the Bridgerton home. The looming journey to Aubrey hall was one that she was not looking forward too as the longer she sat in a carriage the more her back would ache and her head would throb. With a sigh Alina placed her book down beside her and pushed herself up from the couch. "Are you alright?" Anthony asked, placing his paper down. She simply nodded, as she began to walk around the room, ignoring the way Anthony's eyes seemed to watch her.

"Then where did you meet her?" Eloise's voice echoed as she and Benedict entered.

"About town." Her older brother stated simply, wishing to drop the subject

"At her shop?"

"Should you not be off somewhere, getting ready to attend your very first ball?" Benedict teased, causing Eloise to grunt irritably. Alina giggled seeing their interaction.

"Brother, might I be able to join in on the fun this summer at Aubrey Hall?" Hyacinth asked as she looked up from her game with Gregory. However, Anthony didn't respond as he continued to watch Alina sigh uncomfortably while passing. "Brother!" Finally Anthony snapped out of his daze.

"Provided you stay clear of my lucky mallet, I think it is a fine idea." Hyacinth's eyes brightened.

"You cannot be in earnest." Gregory stated turning to look at the oldest Bridgerton.

"I shall begin practicing straight away!" Alina watched as Hyacinth bounced out of the room and Gregory pouted. Alina began to rub her neck as a soft headache began to bloom and with the brightness of the room and the hum of chatter she jumped as Violet entered.

"I just received word from Aunt Winnie! Francesca will be arriving home tomorrow."

"How exciting!"

"Perhaps she can tell us of time spent far from London." Colin suggested.

"It certainly has been an eventful season, what with Daphne and the duke, and then Anthony and Alina starting their own little family." Anthony moved his eyes over to Alina once again but the woman refused to meet his gaze.

"Good afternoon, Bridgertons." Javier greeted as he joined the group. Javier moved forward and kissed his sister cheek in greeting and then took a seat at the small table next to Anthony. Since her return from Spain Javier had gotten closer to her husband's family and had begun to spend the days with all of them. Neither Javier or Anthony would converse as best as they could which Alina was quite thankful for.

"Will you be attending the boxing match, Javier?" Asked Colin.

"I was planning on attending. I expect you three shall attend as well?" The Spainard guessed nodding to the first three siblings.

"I heard it's supposed to be a rather interesting match." Alina rolled her eyes as Benedict, Colin, and Javier continued on about boxing. Having had enough of the brightly lit room, Alina quietly departed from the gathering and made her way down the hall not realizing she had made her way through the home and ending up in the new nursery. Violet had assured her that one just like it will be waiting for them in Aubrey Hall. Stepping into the room Alina moved back to the crib and lifted the small brown teddy and then moved to sit on the rocking chair that was sitting near the window.