Diamond of the First Water II

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Title, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as "the spinster."

Alina watched the scenery pass through the carriage window as she, Violet, Daphne, and Anthony had made their way to the first ball of the season. She and Anthony had yet to speak to one another after he had come home earlier that evening. With the pins holding her hair digging into her head and the small ache in her neck Alina snapped out of her thoughts as they finally came to a stop and the door swung open. Daphne couldn't hide her excitement and happily climbed out of her seat after her mother, Alina, followed close behind. Daphne made sure to link her arm with Alina's and Anthony and the three made their way into the large estate with Violet following closely behind. The buzz of the ballroom was almost as equal to the music that seemed to bounce off the ornate walls. Alina's gaze flitted over the many young girls and impatient mama's over to the dance floor where she spotted Colin enjoying himself.

"They're all staring, mother." Anthony grumbled as he eyed the many young men whose attention seemed to be drawn to Daphne like a moth to a flame.

"Allow them to come to you, dearest." Violet had instructed, ignoring her son's annoyed tone. Not long after a dapper looking lord presented himself.

"Lady Bridgerton, Miss Bridgerton, Lady Bridgerton...Lord Bridgerton."

"I believe you have already been introduced to my daughter Daphne, Lord Ambrose."

"Uh- yes. We met at your brother's Levee." Ambrose added.

"If I recall, my lord, you had just won your first race at Newmarket." Daphne said, making sure to keep her tone light and welcoming.

"His first and only, I believe." Anthony introjected.

"Still a wonderful accomplishment, regardless.." Alina stepped in, ignoring the almost glare Anthony sent her way before continuing as if she hadn't spoken.

"I haven't had the pleasure of seeing you at our club lately, Ambrose.Should it have anything to do with the unpaid balance you left on our betting books winter last?" Ambrose, fully embarrassed, swallowed and quickly bowed to the family before excusing himself. "Ambrose is a cheat. A man of any honor ensures his debts are fully paid."

"And you are the perfect example of a man with honor, are you?" Alina stated more than asked, having a feeling of how this evening would go and not wanting poor Daphne to suffer. Before Anthony could respond Daphne spoke.

"I did not realize-"

"Well, how could you have done? It is the very reason I am here, sister. Let us take a turn about the room." Anthony gently pulled Daphne away, making sure to leave Alina with Violet which was fine with her. VIolet reached out and placed a hand on her gloved arm with a smile.

"Come, let us take our own turn about the room." Alina nodded and allowed Violet to escort her around the room, making sure to keep a small smile on her face like any lady should, no matter how exhausting it may be. It wasn't long before the two lady's were swept up in a group of the other married ladies of the room and after the third round of pleasantries Alina's eyes roamed about before setting on a miserable looking Daphne. Alina quickly excused herself from the group and made her way over to Daphne and Anthony.

"Good evening, you two." Alina greeted making sure to stand on Daphne's other side.

"I'm quite parched."