PROCLIVITY

By kishu6926244

warning: MATURE CONTENT "Sugar" Check "Toothpaste" Check "Books" Check . . . . . . . . "A packet of rice" Ch... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
chapter 7
chapter 8
Chapter 9
chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
I am sorry

Chapter 6

237 16 38
By kishu6926244

5 years old Vikrant 's POV

"Nanu, are you fine?" I asked my maternal grandfather.

He was very weak. He has been for so many weeks but these days his condition is severe.

He was coughing loud and hard.

He smiled at me seeing beside him on bed.

"Yes. I am fine and since you are here to comfort me, I am great." He said caressing my cheek but I knew he was lying.

His pain was so immense that it can't be described in words.

Pain of betrayal.

Pain of seeing his years of hard work falling apart.

Pain of deceived by his own daughter.

"I am sorry Nanu. I am really very sorry." I said sobbing.

"Why are you apologizing my child?" He was still smiling sadly.

"I am apologizing because you are in this condition because of dad." I was still sobbing.

He smiled and put me in his lap.

"You shouldn't be sorry for anything. You aren't big enough to understand anything."

"Who says? I am big enough to understand that how mom and dad made you stuck here. I can see how they are torturing you." I said in loud voice to show my anger.

He laughed loudly. "Who is torturing your Nanu? Can anyone dare to touch me?" He said proudly just to hide how hurt he is.

"Making you alone in your old age, taking your guards down, making a person powerless who has been most powerful all his life is no less than any torture." I said with lots of seriousness.

As soon as he heard my words, he face went stiff.

He placed his palm on my head.

"Indeed, a wound on heart really makes a child grow up ahead of time." He murmured looking me intensely.

He averted his eyes looking in my eyes intensely for few minutes.

He signed. "Since you are so wise. I would like to tell you something. No, I want to ask you for something. Will you do that?" His expressions were enough to tell me that now he is going to talk to me as if I am an adult.

"Undoubtedly. I would do everything. I shall make sure that they get same pain back. I shall avenge. I shall avenge for you, for Nazli, for everyone who suffered because them." I was extremely angry.

This anger was enough to give me goosebumps.

"That is something I would never want you to do." He said softly.

He literally couldn't get his meaning.

"Vicky. There will be no revenge. There shouldn't be any resentment. After, I am gone, there should be peace in your heart. If you can't love them then don't hate your parents atleast." He spoke as if he was ordering me but in a polite way.

"How can you say this?"

"I can because I am a father who loves his child despite being betrayed by her. Because I am a father who has always corrected her mistakes. But eventually I failed at correcting her one mistake."

He was so powerful that no one could take him down. The one who destroyed him is his own daughter.

My mother.

One who was born from him and gave birth to me.

"There is always punishment for the mistakes that can't be corrected." I said with low voice in anger having water in my eyes.

He held my shoulders. "We are no one to punish anyone. We are born with some responsibilities. I have been protecting your mother because that's my duty as a father and now, you must perform duty as her son. You have to take care of her."

I was stunned to listen.

He is on verge of death, still he is thinking about her.

"She was loved by you. She got everything what she wanted all her life. If I will also love her and won't show my resentment then how do you think she is going to realise her sin?" I was trying to understand this misunderstood knot of being a human being.

Normal human being.

"You know Vicky? There is a very amazing fact about betrayal. Betrayal loves it's source a lot. The one who betrays get betrayed himself too. This is rule of this betrayal chain. From now on, her life will be turmoil. She isn't realising it now but it will be. If you will despise her then it will be hard for her to even breathe. Don't take blame of her miseries by hating her." His voice was filled with hope.

He was surely not afraid of his end. He just wants her daughter's life to be less difficult. Even now, he is trying to make better.

" I guess, my small mind isn't efficient to grasp your philosophy Nanu. If betrayal is meant to people who commit this sin then why are you here like this? Why did you get betrayed? You did only right things all your. Yet, why are you in this condition?"

He smiled. "Who said I didn't get fruit of my good deeds? I am having a grandson like you who is ready to abandon his parents for my sake beside me. Right in this moment, I am the most important one for you. What can I ask for more!" He said caressing my hair.

He had answer of my every question.

"Vicky. If you didn't come to me today, if you didn't think the way do now. Then it would have definitely been very difficult for me die thinking that my life has gone in vain. You are my reward of living a prideful and loyal life. Thank you so much for being the way you are. Thank you for having perspective different from your birth parents. Thank you for realising their mistakes. Thank you for wanting to take responsibility of their actions. Thank you so much for preventing my life being worthless. But that's it. You must here. Don't keep grudge in you. Live peacefully. Have a happy childhood. Make lots of friends. Laugh a lot. Don't let your present ruin your future. Learn to move on. That's how I want you to live."

I didn't have even a single friend ever. I just had classmates.

I had a comfortable childhood. Thanks to my rich dad but it was never happy.

It wasn't like I didn't want to laugh but how could I laugh when I know that the source of my existence snatched so many smiles.

My present has always been designed keeping my tough future in mind.

I moved on so that I can stay where I don't want to move on from.

I lived my life exactly like he wanted but in a twisted way and this twist is out of my control.

"You are my heir, Vicky. My fortune is all yours. Don't let my hard working earning get tainted. I want my future generations to have heritage free of innocent's tears and blood. Promise me that you will make sure of it."

I promise, Nanu.

I promise.
--------------------------------------
I have been waiting for Aarti on airport with seven more staff members. Usually she is always on time. Flight will take off after one hour but we need to be present there before hand for some formalities.

I wonder why she is not here yet.

There she is.

With her parents.

Protective parents.

"I am sorry if I am late." Aarti said running to us.

I was about to open my mouth to say something but interrupted by one of our fellow.

"We would if you didn't come for 5 more minutes."

"I thought I am on time." Arti said being flustered

"You thought......"

"It's ok. There is no need to discuss about it anymore. We need to rush anyway." I didn't let Parul speak anymore.

"Yes Boss." Parul nodded.

"All the best. Remember to call all before leaving to office, after reaching office, before leaving for your residence and after reaching there. Call before you have meals. Call before you sleep. And other than this you can call anytime you want." Her mom said hugging her tight.

My eyes widened.

She can call anytime she wants....!

What more would she want after calling so many times.

"Of course mummy. I remember everything." She is so casual as if it's normal.

Wait a minute!!!

Everything?????

Has she been instructed to do anything else than calling.

"Have a safe journey. Call as soon as you get there." Her father said caressing her head.

She just nodded in agreement.

Her mother look at me having hope in her eyes. I could sense that she was trying to remind me our last conversation we had in my cabin. I blink my eyes with a light in assurance. She seemed relieved.

"Let's go arti." One of the seven female members dragged her behind me.

"May I ask you something." I heard her saying to the other member.

"Your mouth your wish." She answered her back.

Is that even an answer.

"There is still one hour left then why are we rushing." Arti asked.

Is she bothered thinking that she is late?

Oh!

So she is the first time flyer.

"There are lots of things we need to do before getting into flight. You must be new to this that's why you don't know." She said without even looking at Arti.

"Hmmm. But...." Aarti wanted to ask her more but she walked ahead leaving her behind.

I made my steps slow to make Arti reach me.

"since this is the first time you are taking flight so there are few things you need to keep in your mind. Keep your ticket handy - will help you get to your terminal. Put your luggage onto a trolley. Trolleys are stacked near the departures entrance. Keep your I-card along with your ticket, you will need it at the entrance to get in. Once inside, head to your airline section with your ticket and identification. Get your check-in baggage scanned, hold on to whatever you may need for the flight and on landing. You can now go to your airline's check-in counter and collect your boarding pass. You can also get your boarding pass at an electronic kiosk nearby. If you haven't already e-checked in and grabbed the seat of your choice, try your luck at the counter at this stage. Weigh your checked-in baggage at the counter, get it tagged and sent off to the airplane. Get your hand baggage weighed and proceed to the terminal mentioned on your boarding pass. To get to your terminal, you have to cross security. To cross security, you will have to place everything except your boarding pass in the X-ray tray and pass through a metal detector. Once you are through, collect your items from the tray and off you go! You could spend your extra time, if you have any, browsing the retail section or grabbing a bite.
Head to your departure gate and keep an ear out for announcements related to your flight. If you are at a silent airport, announcements will be messaged to your phone or email - or you could just keep an eye out for the display board. For now, this much is enough." I said everything in one go.

She was so flustered that made her eyes go blank several times within 5 seconds.

"Are you not traveling with all of us?" She asked nervously.

"Why are you so nervous as if we are going on some war?" I asked folding my arms.

"The way you explained me whole procedure before getting into flight, it sounded more like a war." She said in low voice looking down.

I laughed a bit.

"It just sounded a bit exaggerated but it isn't as same as it sounds. As for as about telling you everything in detail then I wouldn't be able to be around you every time. I just want you to know everything at least in words." I said to calm her down.

"Thank you." She murmured.

We started walking.

"Your parents work quite anxious. It felt like they wanted to drag you home back." I sneered.

"They were just concerned." She said normally.

Her normal is below normal.

we went through every procedure I mentioned her few minutes ago. Every time she was looking like a lost child in market. But I must say for listening all those words in one go for just once, she managed good. Definitely she was nervous. I heard her asking few questions to the airlines staff. And that's what I would appreciate a lot. She didn't hesitate letting others know that she is a new flyer.

Since it was her first time so she was slow too. I was behind her not because I wanted to pay her special attention but because I noticed that other members what to cook to grab their seats.

She was taking slow steps on stairs to plane. Even a crawling child would be faster than her in the situation. She must have thought that I left with others that's why probably she was not looking around to have someone known beside her.

She was nervous.

Everyone behind her was getting ahead very quickly but she seemed to be confused.

"Do you wish to fly on stairs?" I said right behind from her.

Huh? She turned to look at me with confusion.

"Can't you walk quickly?" I might have sounded a bit annoyed.

"I can but...." She took a pause. "I was hesitating as I really don't know what to do after getting into plane."

Is that even an excuse?

Right.

It can be as it's the first time.

"Let's go."

She walked with me.

"Give me your ticket." I asked as we got into plane.

She gave me her ticket which was already in her hand. I looked into it.

"That's your seat number." I said pointing to her seat.

"Thank you sir." She nodded her head lightly.

I gave her ticket back and she went to her seat. I noticed that her seat is beside Parul.

"Parul?" I noticed her as she was walking beside me.

"Yes sir."

"Pay attention to her. She might have motion sickness as she has never travelled in plane. Make sure she ties belt perfectly." I requested her.

"Sure sir." She smiled.

I looked Arti who was arranging her bag on luggage section before getting to my place. I made myself comfortable.

After few minutes, while coming back from washroom I noticed Neel to be on Parul's seat. Arti didn't seem to notice him. She had her earbuds on.

"What are you doing here?" I asked Neel.

He stood up.

"Are you not supposed to sit there?" I asked pointing to his original seat.

"Sir I am but Parul ask me to take this seat instead of her. As she....." He didn't complete his sentence signalling in a direction where Parul was busy with her boyfriend who is also my employee and coming to Delhi.

I should have chosen either of them.

Office dating always cause hazards.

I sighed.

"Go, have my seat." I told him.

"No sir. I am all fine here." He denied. His face was enough to tell me that he didn't want to cause any inconvenience to me.

"But I am not fine to have you here. Go." I told straight forward.

He left as soon as he felt my coldness. I sat beside Arti but she didn't mind as she didn't notice. She was still busy in listening music.

After a while, she turned her head unconsciously.

"Is this your seat?" She asked being flustered.

I thought of saying 'no' but then I would have to explain her everything.

"Yes." I chose easy way.

"Oh!" She averted her eyes taking off her earphones.

"You can continue with you music." I told her.

"But I heard that we are not allowed to use mobile phones during travelling." She said.

Her mother was right. She takes protocols very seriously.

"Mobile phones are supposed to be on aeroplane mode but you can carry on listening music."

"Is that so?" She wondered.

She kept earbuds and phone aside. She noticed my questioning face.

"I don't want to listen anymore." She answered.

But I felt as if she wanted to listen music but she didn't.

"Hmmmm." That's all I could reply.

Suddenly the plane started shaking in a irregular way. It's motions were quite drastic enough to shook a first timer.

Yeah!

Arti.

She was so flustered that her eyeballs were popping out.

"Relax. Just relax." I tried to calm her.

"What was that?" She asked looking around being surprised because she was the only one giving reaction to turbulence. Every one was as chilled as ever.

"It's just turbulence." I was trying hard to control my smile.

"Is it often?" She was still looking for someone who is as flustered as her.

But she didn't.

"Yes."

"That means it's going to happen again?" She asked with wide eyes.

"Not necessarily." I raised my voice a bit to make it enter not only in her ears but in her head as well.

"That was scary." She said keeping palm on her chest.

"You will get used to it." I murmured but she must have heard.

"Will it happen again like just after few minutes?" She asked attentively detaching her back from her chair looking at me intensely.

"No. I didn't mean that." I answered with high voice and wide eyes.

She is so faint hearted.

"Then why did you say about me getting used to it?" She enquired once more in low voice.

She is really VERY faint hearted.

"Actually...."

No, I can't otherwise she will come up with more fears

"Leave it." I dismissed.

She rested her back again on chair.

"Wait. What is wrong with your belt? Why haven't you tied it." I asked as soon as I saw her unbuckled seat belt.

"I didn't know how to." She murmured.

"Then you should have asked someone." I was annoyed as it would be dangerous.

"I asked for Parul. But......" She didn't complete.

But that's all was enough for me understand.

I brought my hands near her to fix belt.

"Huh?" She couldn't understand.

"Let me demonstrate it for you."

She relaxed herself a bit.

"Okay, the seat bill the past two parts it has a buckled part and it has another part to fasten the seatbelt all you have to do is put this part into here and it goes click." I left belt as soon as I was done because I could see sense her uncomfort.

"Understood?" I asked her sincerely.

"Yes sir." She half whispered lowering her eyes fixing herself straight on chair.

I got chills as soon as I heard her whispering.

I don't know how to put it in words.

I don't know what it is actually.

But her whispering 'yes sir' gave a strange satisfaction that I have goosebumps now.

Shake it off Arihant.

Shake it off.

Once you are in Delhi, everything will be fine.
--------------------------------------------

"I know I am very late this time. I should have come sooner but you have no idea how much busy I have been. Do you know how good have I grown? Huh? I have lots of other things to do other than visiting you." Vikrant said standing in front of two memorials.

Both the memorials had a lot of stuff arranged so well carved within stones. Shining glass cover was giving it so glossy look.

One was named after 'Avinash Rathore' - a 63 year old man died 20 years ago.

Another one was named after 'Nazli'- a 8 month old girl child died 21 years ago.

"Ok fine. I'm sorry. I shall try to to come more frequently henceforth. Don't be angry now." He said making a apologetic face as if he was talking to some living being.

"What? Are you still angry?" He frowned keeping hands on waist.

"Nazli, please make him understand. Thank god I can expect some sensibility from you." He spoke to glass in which all toddler's material was kept.

It must have been belonged to Nazli.

"What? Are you also with him? This is not done. You guys are one team to upon me crample upon me." He rolled his eyes.

"How do you guys want me to apologize? Oh! I forgot that we can't communicate in words." He chuckled.

He came close and sat on his feets.

"But I promise I will make it up. I shall visit more frequently and I am going to do something which will make you both more happy." He said smilingly.

"Guess what? Someone is going to join you here." He whispered last part as if he is saying a secret to someone's ears.

"I know I shouldn't say this with excitement as someone's death it is not a topic to be happy about but I don't want to shed more tears." He looke down.

"This is not for me. I am like this because of you guys. You want me to be happy that is why I am happy in all the circumstances otherwise you know how I am. I stay happy so that you both don't have to worry about me." He said defensively.

"You should be thankful to me for that." He said trying to make himself more important.

He is completely a different person here. He seems to forget everything what generally goes on in his mind.

"I hope you are done with your one sided conversation." An old man came to him having stick in his hand for support to walk.

"It's never one sided. It's just only I can hear what they say." Vikrant said standing up.

"Well! That's the power of being close to someone. You can understand them even if they don't speak." Old man patted his shoulder.

Vikrant looked at memorial once more having sadness in his eyes.

"Is everything alright?" Old man asked noticing his grief.

"Yes. Why?" He said immediately turning his head to him.

"Nothing. It has been so long since you last came here that's why I asked if something is wrong." Old man turned to walk.

Vikrant walked along with him.

"Everything is wrong since very long that it seems everything alright to me now. As if no wrong matter anymore. As if everything will go wrong and it is just me who has to correct it. I have stopped expecting right things." He spoke his heart.

"Should I consider you hopeless or aimless?" Old man chuckled.

"That's even a question to me." Vikrant laughed at himself.

"I still remember the day when you were were 13 years old and you asked your father to established this Memorial house that was the first and last thing you asked to to to to your father even though you didn't want to but still you did." Old man said looking up remembering those old days.

"That's because I couldn't wait longer. If this memorial house was not established back then, I can't guess any other way to escape." He said before turning head to look at memorials once again.

"Do you remember that how reluctant he was in accepting my request regarding this memorial house?"

Old man laughed remember Vikrant's father's reaction back then.

"Yes but you were a smart child to make him pay for this memorial house. The money he was going to use for illegitimate purpose." Old man seethed his teeth.

" that's why I didn't see anything wrong making him pay for this. Nanu never wanted his money to be in vain." Vikrant was emotional remembering his Nanu's last words.

"Thank you. Thank you so much for taking care of this memorial house for so long." He thanked old man for whatever he did for him.

"I was your Nanu's most favourite employee. I was about to lose everything after his death. But it was you who saved me. You didn't give me this memorial house to take care of but reason to live. An opportunity to handle myself." Old man kept his palm on Vikrant's head for a while.

"I didn't do any favour. It was you are right. And coming to thinking about this, who could be better than you to do this task." Vikrant said as if it was very obvious to choose him

"I can't believe but you are Bharat's son."

This is old man really couldn't believe that a son can be this much different from his own parents.

"Please. At least you don't say things like this. Otherwise people will actually think that I am not his son." Vikrant laughed.

It was clear that Vikrant didn't want this conversation to be serious.

"Don't you visit your children?" Vikrant asked.

They have stopped near a balcony having view of huge forest below it.

"They are happy. We meet when they come to visit me."

"Don't you want to meet them more often?" Vikrant asked.

"It doesn't matter. I have grown too old. I might be a disturbance in their busy life. Whenever I feel like meeting them, I go to my grand grand children's kinder House." Old man had a adorable smile on his facing mentioning about his grand grand children.

"It sounds as if you have a lot of free time." Vikrant teases him.

"What? It's not like that at all. I am always very busy. You young people think that we oldies are good for nothing. Can't you see this garden? Conclusion on maintenance of this old house? With whom grace all these are this much good?" Old man showed fake offence.

He made Vikrant laugh loud.

"It's great that you keep yourself busy but let me tell you you are going to be more busy now onwards." Vikrant said calming down his laughter.

"Hsssssshhhh! You won't let me stay peacefully." Old man complaints.

"I surely will not." Vikrant shrugged his shoulders.

"I am really not in a mood to listen you but since you are my dearest friend's grandson then I am compelled to do so. I can give you this much opportunity to meet your request." Old man was still in mood to play.

"I am honoured. Thank you so much." Vikrant bowed in front of him.

"What is it?" Old man asked.

"I want you to to make one more memorial section here." Vikrant said sincerely.

"One more? I thought your Nanu and nazli were the only people you cherished the most." Old man was surprised.

"There are many people I cherish but as you know memorial houses are for them when they leave this world." Vikrant averted his eyes to the forest.

"You are so strange. You never showed your concern to your Nanu and Nazli. You cared for them being away. You loved them without showing it. And when they are gone, you keep doing things for them in this memorial house. Why?"

Vikrant signed at old man's question.

"I would not if I had gotten my time with them. If I had memories to remember them. When it comes to Nazli, I spent just 3 days with her. Those 3 days before her death. I keep on doing these things because I don't have any memories. I know how it feels being left alone in the end. I don't want to be left." He was still staring into woods.

He fell in his thoughts again.

"This is my way of keeping them close to me." He said turning to the old man.

"Who is it now? Who do you want to make this new section for? Who is the person with whom you wanted to spend time but you couldn't and now you are making his memorial section to remember him. Who is it?" The old man was curious to know.

"Chauhan." Vikrant said without any expressions.

He was stiff.

Old man's eyebrows creased on Vikrant's word.

"Nisha Chauhan."
---------------------------------------------------
Arihant's POV

Arti called her parents as soon as we reached Airport.

I wonder what will happen afterwards.

She was still looking like a child lost in Fair. The difference is just that child has no one to rely on and she is not leaving the group even for a second as if she is scared to get lost.

I informed Naveen who took everyone to hotel

"Sir, I have arranged everything that you had asked for." Naveen sad following me following me in my cabin.

"That's good." I nodded

"They will be staying in hotel tonight. We shall send them off tomorrow morning to their permanent residence." He continued

"Did you prepare what I asked you to?" I asked taking out few files from the drawer of my table

"Yes, sir." He took a piece of paper from a mini cupboard kept there. "Here it is." He placed that paper in front of me

I took a look on the names written on that paper.

"But I did not get your reason to make me prepare this list of employees who has been living in the residence given by Hotel." He asked

"I am going to shuffle them." I answered straightforwardly

"Among themselves?" He was confused

"No, I shall shuffle them with the new staff." I said without looking at him being focused on the names.

"Don't you think it would be inconvenience to older one?" He said. He was kind of suggesting.

"I cannot make changes just for the sake inconvenience of few people. This is the only way to get new staff along with the older one."

Which is a fact.

"Oh, I didn't think about it that way." He finally agreed.

He seemed to be wanting to say something

"Is there anything you want to say?" I asked looking at him.

"No, sir." He nodded his head negatively

"If no then you may leave. I dismissed.

He started leaving without saying without saying anything.

"Wait Naveen." I gave him voice before he could get out.

"Yes, sir." He turned and asked.

"Is Aisha still here?" I asked him expecting that she would be here.

"Yes, sir. Why?" He asked as if he was curious to know but I didn't pay attention to his curiosity.

"Send her to me." That's all was needed for him to know.

"Sure, sir." He sounded a bit disappointing of not knowing the reason

I saw all the names written on both papers.

Names of my old staff residing in places given by me and the new one.

As I am going to put them together, I need to consider their nature before that.

I am certain about almost everyone.

But

There is just one name I am not able to conclude about.

Arti.

Who should I put her with in?

"May I come in sir?" Ayesha asked opening the door.

"Yes Ayesha, please come in."

"Did you ask for me?" She asked coming closer.

"Yes, I have something to discuss with you." I said attentively.

"Sure, sir." She nodded.

"Have a seat."

She sat on the chair kept in front of me.

"Aisha as you know, our present employees well, so I need your help to shuffle them with our new staff." I said keeping both the list in front of her

"Are you planning them to make roomies?" She asked taking up the newbie's list.

"Yes, as accommodation has always been one of our problems." I chuckled.

"We need to keep their nature in mind while putting them in one room." She said being serious keeping both the papers vertical

"That's why I have called you."

It was obvious

She she started making pairs while I was busy in my laptop. I noticed her being distracted as if she wants to say something

"What happened? Do you want to say anything?" I asked keeping the laptop aside.

"Yes, sir. I have been wanting to say it for a very long time but didn't get the chance to." She said closing the lid of pen.

"Go ahead." I rested my back on chair

"I wanted to thank you for your help which you did regarding my father's matter." She sincerely said.

Frankly speaking, I had totally forgotten about that.

"Are you talking about your father's job?" I confirmed.

"Yes, sir."

"There is nothing for you to thank me about. I did what I promised you. I ensured you that due to Jia's matter nothing will affect your father's position in Jia's father's company."

She was thanking me but I don't think I did something to deserve her thankfulness as I only did what I promised her her.

I promised her that I shall not let anything affect her father's job. That was the only assurance she wanted from me instead of telling me everything what Jia did behind my back.

"But still sir. I am sure if you didn't get involved in it then her father would have been fired my father." It is so natural for her to be be scared of Jia.

"I don't think so. Yes, he would find any other way to bother Mr. Kumar but I don't think he is stupid enough to lose a man with skills just because of his daughter." I was just being obvious

"I'm glad that you think this way." She smiled.

"I think not only about him this way. You are also on the same page." I complimented her indirectly with a light smile.

"Thank you, sir. Thank you so much." She held her smile to its minimal but her excitement after being complimented was evident.

She has always been the most sincere and tough to read person in this office.

"I told you there is nothing for you to thank me about." I said smiling back.

"I am not talking about the recent things. I am thanking you for everything you did for me even in the past."

I think it's the day of year when she when she behaves and speaks her heart out.

"Past?" I pretended not to remember anything.

"Yes, sir. I really don't know. What would have I done if you did not recruit me in your hotel." She sounded a bit unsure of her those circumstances which she was about to face 3 years ago.

"I had nowhere to go in my career. I had been rejected by so many well renowned companies." She seems to be lost in memories of that time.

"It was you who gave me a chance to prove myself. That is what I am thankful to you about." She looked at me.

I could see satisfaction on her face at the end of her thanking speech speech.

"If you think that I did it for you, then you are utterly wrong. I did that for myself." Which is is not a complete lie.

"You were rejected by all those companies because they knew that you were more competent than them. They rejected you because you are a kind of person who always takes her stand. You consider your beliefs before anything. And that's what they all were scared about. I Needed someone like you. That's why I chose you. It was really not a pity for sure. And you know that I don't do pity." We both laughed a bit.

Her smile has always been sad.

"What have I known about you makes me wonder about your expectations from life."I really wonder things about her which I can't put in words

"I don't expect anything." She said being as calm as as as ever.

"Don't you think that is wrong? You should. You must." I am really astonished.

"Aisha you are the kind of person who gives her hundred percent always. How come you cannot expect things in return."I cannot believe that a girl like her could exist in today's world.

She is intelligent.

She is smart.

She is independent.

She is the only woman I come across who is best at decision making.

Her maturity level is really hard to match.

She doesn't take impulsive decisions like other girls do in anger or being emotional.

"Because that's what hurts us more. What I do is not a compulsion. I do it whole wholeheartedly. Giving makes me feel peace. How can I expect anything from what makes me feel happy?" She said very easily as if it's nothing hard for her.

There is not even single time when she got what she deserved.

I never went personal with her with her but I know it must be not easy for her being with Vikrant.

Yes,Vikrant.

I never talked about about him.

Frankly speaking, I don't like talking about him but I like Aisha I am no one to suggest her anything about her personal life but she is someone who I look up to when it comes to maturity and decision making.

"Don't do this. Aisha. Please don't.
You will end up with tears only."
I sincerely wanted her to understand hidden meaning behind my words.

"I might end up with tears but I won't end up being regretful. And that's what my reason is of not expecting things in return." She said looking down.

She looked up after not getting any response from me from me.

I was looking at her intensely.

"Did I just sound too philosophical?" She spoke being sarcastic.

"No, why?" I who was still looking at her.

"If not, then why are you staring at me like this?" Her mood suddenly changed.

"I am not staring at you. You just reminded me of someone." I said averting my eyes.

"Someone good or bad?" She asked keeping her elbows on table.

My mother

"Someone very close to me." That's all I said as the environment got a bit tense.

"I guess we have chatted a lot." She said getting out of this tense mood.

"We must get on back to the work." She sounded more like ordering.

"Yes, we should." I agreed.

" I have paired them up. Just have a look on that." I showed her the list prepared by me.

"I don't think you should put Piyush and Rajat in same room. They both are Angry Birds. It would be a mess if they start fighting." She said.

She really knows employees well.

"Is that so?"

"Yes, I think Ravi will be good with a Rajat."

She changed few roomies.

"Why this Arti is still unpaired?" She asked as soon as she saw Aarti remained unpaired.

"Oh, she?" I took that the paper which has Aarti name in my hand.

"She is the only one who is I am very confused about." I said taking a good look of her name name.

"Why? Are you considering her to give single room?" She asked.

"No, no, it's not like that. I just can't find the right one to put her with." I told her frankly.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I want someone she should be comfortable with."

Big mistake I shouldn't have been this much frank with her.

"Since when you started caring about others comfort over your plans?" She sarcastically smirked.

"She will be comfortable with anything you will ask her for. I mean isn't she just an employee like others?" She intentionally spoke to provoke me but that ain't gonna happen.

"Of course she is." I wanted to sound obvious.

"But she is a bit different case." I couldn't her expressions changed as soon as she heard me.

"Different?" she thought for a while.

"Oh, so she is the girl I just heard about." she wondered.

I couldn't get what she meant.

"What? What did you hear?" I asked her curiously.

"You must have no idea about this but whole office is talking about it." She said

"I didn't get it." I was still confused she signed

"Everyone is saying that after being fooled by Jia, you have come up with another clown." She is again straight forward like always she is.

She doesn't know the meaning of sugar coating.

"Clown?" I narrowed my eyebrows to confirm if I heard right.

"Yes. Everyone is back bitching about you bringing a school pass out girl. Everyone is tend to assume that you will be fooled again like you were in Jia's case. You brought Jia into this office due to your friendship. And now you have brought this girl out of no one knows what but everyone is considering her to be close to you." She didn't leave any thing to make me feel less anguished.

"She is no one close to me." I had no expressions.

"She must not be but what can you expect people to think about a girl whom you brought here for the job who is not even completely qualified?It is not wrong for them to think this way. They all know about Jia."

What is she trying to imply!!!

"Everyone is not the same." I said wanting her to understand the warning in my voice.

"That is what you can tell me and to be honest I have nothing to do with this. But as a girl I can tell you. You have no idea what she will be through once she will get to here. Words like this Pitiful ,Charity, Useless fellow, a cunning small town girl and you have no idea how many pathetic things she will hear about herself. I am telling you so that you can make her prepare to for such circumstances." She said engaging herself in list again.

"Why do you think I would make her prepare?" I was really surprised that she expects something like this.

"Because you are the one who brought her here." She was straight.

"If you have done this then you must be close enough to her to make things understand well." She said as if it's normal.

"I said I am not close to her." I reminded her again

"Then why have you brought her here? "She sounded like interrogating me.

I opened my mouth to answer her.

no

I did not did not just want to answer her.

I want to reply her in a way so that she will think hundred times before speaking shit like this but I realised that I had nothing to say.

I was searching for words in my vocabulary to answer her but I couldn't get any.

"See." she said noticing dilemma on my face.

"Even you can't come up with words to shut me up when I argued about this.How do you think she would be able to cope up? I'm sorry if I sounded harsh but It was my duty to give you a reality check. You will be staying in your cabin without listening anything, but she will be the one among them surrounded by people who will talk rubbish about her."

She didn't have any intention to speak ill. She spoke everything to make me understand the circumstances Arti would be surrounded by.

She is actually right.

Why didn't I think this way earlier?

"By the way, what kind of person you want to put her with?" She asked taking me out of my world of scattered thoughts.

"Someone who can tell me everything about her." I am again frank with her because I understood that there is no use of being otherwise.

"Do you want to keep eye on her?" She asked being suspicious.

"It's not what I want. It's something that I need."

Because I promised her mother.

You did not promise.

ok fine.

I did not but I gave her my word.

"On one hand you say that you are not close to her and on another you say you need to watch her. Do you have any idea that how contradictory these two statements are?"

I felt as if Aisha just put a bucket of ice on my head.

Am I really being ignorant when it comes to Aarti again.

I am on the same loop.

why everything about Arti is so stretched?

Why can't I decide anything regarding her in one go?

Why do I have to think a lot and the funniest part is that even after thinking a lot I don't come up with conclusions.

"You don't have to answer me. I can just wish good for the pool girl." She must have noticed me struggling with my self to find answer.

"As coming to think About your demands I prefer Lata.She is the Chatterbox. She cannot digest anything. You just need to switch it on and she will tell you everything. She would notice everything." Aisha said putting mark beside Lata's name.

"Are you sure?" I asked because I am unsure of Lata or whatever. I don't even know her.

"Yes, you can consider her a moving CCTV."

"That's good." I approve her suggestion
----------------------------------------
No one's POV

Naveen instructed everything to new employees next morning. He told them about their room partners as Aisha and Arihant decided. He was taking everyone's name as per the list. He found Arti's name in the the last. He looked at her. He knew that she must be Arti because she is the only one who is left.

He walked towards her.

"So, you are Arti?"

Arti felt awkward with Naveen's glare at her.

"Yes, sir." That's all she could reply.

"Lata, you are her roommate." He said to Lata without even looking at her.

"what ? me?"Lata seemed shocked.

"Yes, why do you have a problem?" He asked turning his head.

"No, no, sir. I am very happy."Lata was excited

"Great." Naveen got back to his previous position.

"I hope you guys have gotten your rooms. Mingle with your partners well today. From Tomorrow onwards you will join your respective positions here. Till then explore the city. Go out or do whatever you want. Today is your first and last off."He announced.

"Are we not going to get Sundays?" One of the new employees asked.

"Of course you will but that's totally dependent on your performance. I hope these protocols exist in mathura as well." He said arrogantly.

He seemed to be looking down on new staff.

Arti was walking to the bus which is is taking them to their residence.

"Hi, I am Lata." Lata came from Arti's behind.

She was looking very excited.

"Arti." Arti introduced herself.

"I know you." Lata said holding Arti's arm.

"In fact everyone knows about you."

"Does everyone?" Aarti was shocked to know this.

She had no idea that Lata is so good to her just because she thinks Aarti close to Arihant and who doesn't want it to be close to their Boss.

Before she could ask anything they had to get on the bus.

"Yes, everyone in hotel is talking about you." Lata said entering in the their apartment.

It was small but worth enough for two people.

"But why? I have not even met anyone yet." Arti's mind was puzzled.

She kept her bags on the bed.

"You will." Lata sneered.

"Have a seat?" She asked Aarti to sit.

Arti looked around to find a place to sit. Bed was full of Lata's scattered clothes. Her accessories were lying on the couch. Chair was upside down near switches. It seemed Lata put it that way to do something and forgot to fix it again.

"I know this room is quite a mess. But since we both are here, then it won't be a problem." Lata said being a bit embarrassed.

Aarti didn't reply as she was still in state of comprehending things around her.

"This is your bed and this is mine." Lata showed Aarti her bed which was delivered here a day ago.

Lata open the wardrobe.

"I have made some space for your stuff in cupboard."She showed Aarti the space made for her.

"I hope this much would be enough for you." Lata was expecting her to reply but Arti was not sure if she should say that it's a space not even worth for a cat to stay, let alone all the girls' stuff.

She gave Arti tour of rest of the house.

"This is bathroom."

Aarti was walking behind her like a small child hugging her handbag to chest.

"And this is the mini kitchen."

Kitchen was actually very good but it was a mess as if no one entered here in since ages.

"You must be wondering, Why is it so untidy. Actually, I don't make anything here. So I don't do dusting of this portion at all." Lata scratches back of her head.

Aarti went more further in unlocking the shelves and modular portion.

"As I told you that I don't cook. That's why you won't find any ingredients here." Lata said being standing on door of kitchen.

"Then how do you do with food?" Arti asked being surprised.

"Canteen .There are lots of great restaurants around you should explore them sometime." Lata said happily.

"I would like to." Arti whispered to not to make Lata feel awkward.

It was astonished for Arti to know Lata's meal habits. It's ok if she prefers food from restaurants but still if a person is living somewhere he or she must have essentials in the kitchen.

"That's great." Lata came near Arti. "I don't know, but I feel that we both will get soo good along." Lata said excitedly hugging Aarti from side.

"Me too." Aarti replied awkwardly as she didn't I want to be rude to her

"You take rest. I shall bring something for you to eat." Lata suggested breaking the hug.

"No, no, I don't eat anything from outside." Aarti said.

"Is that so? But as you have seen we have nothing to cook here." Lata pouted.

"Can you please bring some stuff from the market so that this kitchen won't be as empty as it is now." Aarti asked awkwardly.

"Oh you like cooking?" Lata had her smile on.

"You can say that." Aarti was not so sure about it.

"No problem. You just get freshen up. I shall bring a few things you need." Lata took her wallet and bag.

She left Arti alone to take her time.

Arti looked around wondering if she will be able to manage with such a clumsy girl.

She signed and started her first task of the day.

Cleaning up the room.

-----------------------------------

Lata went to the near by store. She hand over the list of items prepared by Aati to the shopkeeper. She was waiting for her turn to collect those items.

Suddenly her phone rang. She took it out and as soon as she looked on the screen her eyes widened.

It was Arihant's call.

This was the first time he called Lata. This was totally unexpected for her. She had never thought that Arihant would never even notice her but she guessed it must be all because of Arti.

"Yes, sir." She nervously picked up the call.

"Is this Lata?" Arihant asked formerly.

"Yes, sir. It is me, Lata from Hospitality Department." She gave her full introduction as if she is someone new to him.

"Yeah, I know you." Arihant says casually.

"Do you, sir?" Lata was astonished.

'I better take care of Aarti more now.' she thought to herself.

"Are you at room?" Arihant asked.

"No, sir. I have come out to buy some kitchen stuff." she told him.

"Kitchen stuff and you?" Arihant was surprised because this is not something he expected from her.

Noy at least after what Ayesha told him.

"No, no sir. It is not for me. Actually my roommate Arti, she asked me to purchase these things."

"Why? Don't you think that she is your guest as it's her first day there? Shouldn't you be with her?" Arihant kind of taunted her.

"Of course, I do sir but she said doesn't have anything from outside. She wanted it to be homemade." Lata didn't mind Arihant rudeness

"Okay." Arihant lowly responded.

"Don't worry, sir. I shall take care of her. You won't have any complaints regarding this matter." Lata hinted him indirectly about Aarti.

Her words made Arihant think about what Aisha said.

He was sensible enough to understand what Lata meant.

He knew that if everyone that if everyone would think in the same way then it would be chaos that can't be settle down.

"Did I ask you to do so?" Arihant asked angrily.

"No, sir. But I thought ......."

"Listen Lata. Your work is not to think. Your work is just to answer my questions, not to make assumptions upon them. "He dismissed her

"Yes, sir." Lata wondered if she said something wrong.
---------------------------------------------------
Arti got up at 4 a.m. as usual.
She found it a bit inconvenient as it was new place for her. She couldn't even sleep well.

Lata had turned off of lights which is why Arti couldn't get her usual sleep.

She is scared of darkness. Even if she is sleeping, she wants lights to remain on but as she didn't want to bother Lata.

She asked her just once when she realised that Lata isn't going to turn on the lights.

She didn't ask even one more time.

She practiced her daily routine.

Getting up early.

Yoga.

She made breakfast for herself and for Latha as well.

She has to reach hotel at 9:00 a.m.

She wore red frock kurta till her knees with white leggings and a multi colour stall wrapped around her neck.

"Are you ready?" Lata asked rubbing her eyes as she just woke up.

Aarti smile which look more like a good morning.

"So early?" Lata I was really surprised.

"Yes." Aarti answered.

She was waiting for Lata to get out from the bed but when Lata didn't seem to do so, Aarti was compelled ask.

"How long are you going to take to get ready? We are already running out of time." Aarti asked as she didn't want to be late on the first working day.

"I am sorry Arti. I forgot to tell you but I have taken two days leave." Lata said yawning still being inside the bed.

"So I'm not going today." She finally said

"I thought we were going together." Aarti really didn't expect this.

It's not like she couldn't go by herself but she was wanting someone to be be with her.

"Of course. We were but as I have taken off, I'm not going today office. "

Aarti remained silent as she didn't have anything to say.

"Have you had breakfast?" Lata said understanding what must be going on in Arti's mind.

She doesn't want to upset her boss through Aarti. She was considering her close to Arihant.

"Yes, I have I have made for you, too."

"Oh, that's so nice of you. Thank you so much." Lata hug her getting out of her getting out of the bed.

"Don't be stressed. I shall walk you to the bus stop. You can take a bus from there. It is the bus I take every day to office. I hope that's not a problem at all." Lata proposed to reduce Arti's disappointment.

"No, no, I am good with it." Arti was happy even with that.

"Great. Let me put on my pajamas."

"Sure." Aarti nodded.
------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell are you talking about? Didn't you promise me that you won't back off?" Vikrant yelled at someone being on phone.

He was the man who promised him to help in Mumbai's project.

He was the man Vikrant chose as substitute of Arjun.

"I am sorry Mr. Rathore but I cannot go against Yasrans." That man sounded like a goat

"You have no idea of their influence in Mumbai."

"Were you not aware of this while making the deal with me?" Vikrant growled.

"I have not called you to give you any explanations. I'm just informing you that we cannot do it together anymore." That man said as he didn't have any excuse to give.

He just wanted to avoid Vikrant.

"Do you have any ethics? That is how you work." Vikrant couldn't believe that he has to encounter encounter Sach spineless people.

"Ethics don't matter when it comes to save your ass. If I continue with you then Arjun Yasran will behead me.I am sorry. But we are off now." That man hang up as soon as he finished.

Vikrant was fuming with anger.

He only knew how he managed to get out of Arjun claws.

He thought he would be able to make it but he seemed to underestimate Arjun.

He knew that Arjun wouldn't call off their partnership willingly.

But Vikrant had no idea that he would deliberately make him stick by.

Arjun Yasran is man who having lots of opportunities.

Why is he so adamant continuing with Vikrant?

There was only one person who could answer vikrant's all question - Arjun himself.

Vikrant desperately wanted to know the reasons.

"I was waiting for you to call me." Arjun said as soon as he picked up Vikrant call without saying even hello.

"Was it so obvious?" Vikrant was not surprised but still taken aback.

"Wasn't it? I mean, I just trampled upon your plan of getting rid of me."

"If you know that I want to get rid of you then why do you wish to link to me?" Vikrant came straight forward forward to the point.

"That's what I want to know. Why do you wish to get rid of me? Is it because of Arihant." Arjun was more straight forward than him.

"Are you trying to provoke me?" Vikrant's anger got fuelled as soon as he heard Arihant's name.

"No. I'm not I am just trying to teach you some lessons which I think your father was incapable of teaching you. You know, initially I did not understand your father's reason to make you just a regent. But now I get it. He cannot trust you because you are not trustworthy." Arjun was very polite with him earlier when they met at vikrant's house but now he is on an other mode.

"Do I own you any explanation for it? Should I be apologizing for it?" Vikrant was pissed off.

"Of course you should. Because you are ruining your maternal grandfather's and your father's years of hard work."

"Even if I am, why are you so concerned?" Vikrant was very annoyed because of Arjun's lecture.

He didn't call him to listen this.

"Do you remember what I told you last time. There are so many things common between us. I know you how suffocated you must feel while being dictated." Arjun reminded him there conversation at Vikrant place.

"Is that the only reason? Doesn't it anything to do with....." Vikrant suddenly stopped realising what was he going to say.

"With a Arihant." Arjun waited for Vikrant's reply but he didn't utter even a single word.

"See Vikrant, that is what I want to teach you. You meddle personal and professional life very well. Which will eventually make you fall down. First of all, tell me why do you want to get rid of my partnership? Is it because you think my offer was not profitable. That can't be the case because I always make proposal to benefit both the parties. Even you also know that how much it is going to benefit you then why? Isn't it because of my equation with Arihant?" Arjun didn't want to waste anymore time.

He was sounding like and elder brother scolding to his younger one.

"I don't want to be connected with you in any way. I just want to be free from you." Vikrant was very desperate.

"You desperately wish to be free from your father as well. Have you?" Vikrant was speechless even Vikrant knows that there is only Arjun who could understand him the best.

"Don't think that you will have things. your own way. You must be mad at me about it but mark my words you will be thankful to me one day." Arjun hang up without giving Vikrant any chance to speak more.

Vikrant threw the landline of his office on floor which cause it shattered in pieces.

He ran his fingers in hair.

He was breathing heavily.

He closed his eyes to ease his frustration but nothing was helping him.

He took a deep breath and signed.
---------------------------------

Arti's POV

I got on the bus after Lata walked me the bus stop.

As it was morning, there was not much crowd.

I easily got my favourite window seat on first row.

Actually, I am a person who suffers from motion sickness in bus or any other four wheeler.

I usually feel like throwing up.

That's why I prefer window seat.

I took a deep breath and looked outside the window.

There is something very different about the city.

Time feels like running yet slow.

Precisely, I feel myself to be slow.

Everyone is in rush.

Let it be kids, adults or old.

No one doesn't seem like to be stopped here.

It's a very different vibe.

I might be feeling this way because I am new here.

Probably.

I never had change of places.

I am born in my hometown and have been staying there since birth.

I don't know no meaning of holiday.

It won't be wrong if I say that I was the busiest child in my school who you never intended to leave studies.

Specially maths.

Maths was something that always helped me in releasing my stress.

I miss those days when I could solve mathematical problems all the day without any disturbance.

I never paid attention to marks.

Marks never affected me.

But even one mark deduction in maths was enough to make me go insane.

I think people say right.

One wants to get best out of the performance in what he or she likes the most.

Even if I have always been the highest ranker in mathematics.

But still loss of one mark was not acceptable.

Suddenly all the memories of my academic years were flashing in front of my eyes.

I couldn't help smiling.

I took out my file of documents from my bag.

Even though I have certificates and marksheets just from my school.

They are not something over achieving.

But still they mean world to me.

This file is not just a file.

This is my whole childhood.

This is my time when my classmates were playing on playground and I was spending time in library.

This is the memory I made when my batchmates were busy in their dating lives.

As soon as my eyes laid on my first year and second year marksheet, they turned wet.

If I was not married.

If I was not stopped that day.

Then it would have been a different story.

If I had not been married to Sa.....

No!

It's a big day.

I can't waste even a second of it.

"Madam, your stoppage has come. Are you not getting off?"

Conductor's voice brought me out of my world.

I zipped off my file and put it in my bag.

I paid the conductor and got off the bus.

I am standing at the corner of zebra crossing.

Hotel is on the other side of road.

I walked towards it which took hardly 5 minutes to reach there.
------------------------------

"You must be Artie, aren't you?" Aisha asked coming towards her.

She was looking her from afar.

She to her because she was looking lost.

"Yes, ma'am." Arti nodded clutching her bag to chest.

"Hi, I am I Aisha." Ayesha smile at her.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at counter to submit your documents?" Ayesha asked.

"I wasn't aware of it." Arti looked around to find a new commer like her.

"Why? Have you not come with Lata?" She asked being surprised.

"She has taken off." Arti said.

Aisha signed.

She thought something for a while.

"Come with me. I shall take you there." Aisha lead the way for Arti happily.

"Thank you, ma'am."

They started walking.

"How did you find your room? I hope you were comfortable there." Aisha asked.

Arti remembered everything since she got into current apartment.

"I will get used to it." Arti answered awkwardly.

"That's a way of saying that you were not okay with it." Aisha laughed.

She looks so sophisticated even when she laughs.

"No, no, that's not what I meant." Arti tried to cover up.

"I was just joking." Aisha put her palm on Arti's shoulder.

"As it is your first day and you are without your buddy. If you have any problem, you can come to me." Aisha was clearly trying to make her comfortable.

"Thank you mam." Arti felt really good.

Strangely, Aisha was the only one whom Arti didn't feel uncomfortable around.

"Everyone is so early." Arti said looking employees on their desk working with utmost sincerity.

"You will be one of them soon." Aisha reminded her.

"I shall try work as hard as them." Arti said looking down.

"Arti. The one who works hard can never beat the one who enjoys his work. Make sure you enjoy your work."

Aisha made this statement without any expressions on her face. It was like a senior's first advice given to his junior.

Arti got dumbstruck for a while.

"There we are." Aisha said as they reached to counter.

"Take out your documents." Aisha said.

"Yes, ma'am."

Arti opened her bag to take the file out.

It didn't take very long for her expressions to get change.

She ran her hands in her bag. She started looking into it as if she is searching something.

"What happened?" Aisha asked seeing Arti like this.

"I don't know, but I can't find my documents in my bag." Arti was still looking into her bag.

"Do you remember keeping them in?" Aisha asked if by any chance Arti forgot her documents at home.

"Of course I do. I did keep them in my bag." Arti insisted.

"Then try to remember. Where did you keep it else where?" Aisha made her think a bit more.

Arti kept her palm on forehead being in the maximum stress she can be.

That file is everything for her.

I kept it in my bag. I took out it just once in bus. And then.....

Yes

BUS

Her face went colourless.
------------------------

Vikrant's POV

Why it's me?

Why it has to be always me?

Why everyone around me tries to pull me down?

Why everyone tries to control me?

Why can't I make my decisions?

Is it because I am not capable enough?

I tried my hardest to find a way out.

But no matter how long I walked to find it. I always end up being in darkness.

Sometimes I feel like giving up.

But who should I give up for?

I didn't start this for someone else.

Did I even start?

Have I really begin what I wanted to?

Will there be any point in my life where I would feel being myself without any regrets?

Again, I am here in this bus.

This bus feels like second home to me.

This is the only place I got whenever I feel uneasy.

Even I wonder why I chose this bus out of everything.

Why I take this bus when I have no destination.

Why do I feel peace being seated on this window seat?

Why do I pay extra to have the seat?

Sometimes I am tired.

Even if I am not but still I feel like one.

This bus makes me realise that life goes on like this bus do.

It stops by so many bus stops.

It takes people who are willing to come in.

Those who don't want to come in it. This bus doesn't care about them either.

Life is just like that.

One can only hold. The person who wants to stay with him.

But why is it different for me?

Why am I bound to live?

An opposite life of this

"Sir, your stop has come. You may get off. "

Conductor asked me to leave the seat.

I looked outside the window and stood up .

I felt something below my shoes.

It was something black in color

I picked it up.

It looked like some documents bag.

Someone might have lost it here.

Definitely he or she must be looking for it.

I zipped on the file .

The very first document was someone's 10th standards mark sheet.

'Arti Sharma'
---------------------------------------
"Sir these are the papers about new contract." Navin said keeping an open file on Arihant's desk.

"Did you contact them yet?" Arihant asked him while reading the papers.

"No sir. I was waiting for your approval." He answered.

"Good. Don't call them until I say so." Arihant was still looking in the file.

"But sir, I don't think it would be appropriate to make them wait. I mean we have already suffered lot of loss. Don't you think we should hunt every opportunity we get?" Naveen suggested coming a bit near.

"As you have mentioned about recent disaster, we don't have enough resources to meet their expectations. It's better for us to keep it low for now. Otherwise we would lose our USB." Arihant smiled.

"Right sir." He nodded.

"By the way, have all newbies joined today? I hope you instructed them to submit their documents first." He asked keeping the file aside.

"Yes sir. I did."

"Then bring all those files here and send Mr Ravindra." Arihant ordered.

Mr Ravindra's name caught Navin's attention.

"Mr Ravindra?" Navin asked again.

"Yes. Send him." Arihant confirmed.

Navin always expect to be Arihant's right hand.

Whenever Arihant calls someone else for some work instead of him, he feels insecure.

"Sir, if there is some work, you can ask me to do that." Navin suggested but it sounded more like a request.

Even Arihant could sense it.

"Of course I can. But since it is not as important as other things. I am not asking you for it." Arihant said to make him feel important as well as relaxed.

"I understand sir. Thank you. I shall send Mr Ravindra." Navin looked assured.

"Thank you." Arihant smile even more for showing his consideration.
______________________________

"I don't know what is happening. It seems nothing will no longer remain as same as before." Priya spoke crunching a chip.

"What do you mean? What has changed?" Pawan asked.

Arihant's employees were gathered in canteen to spend their lunch break.

"What do you mean what has changed? Can't you see? We are compelled to work under as same roof as those illiterate." Priya shrugged her shoulders.

"Illiterate? You mean new staff?" Pawan could not understand.

" No. New clowns. Each one of them is one of their diversity." Amer spoke showing fingers to each and everyone making fun of new staff.

"Exactly." Priya agreed.

"What are you guys talking about? Just because they are from small town, it is not right to talk about them this way." Pawan tried to speak logically.

"What is not right in it? One of them has come here with her boyfriend. Have you all forgotten that no dating in office was the first rule made by our boss? And now, he himself is breaking it by bringing couples here." Apoorva interrupted.

"One of them is someone who used to work in his mother's restaurant. Now, you can imagine the extent of their experience." Ratan said making a disgusted face.

"There are so many other examples. This new staff is surely a bunch of jokers."Priya declared as if it's seal on his statement.

"And their leader is Aarti." Ratan smirked.

"Aarti? Did you just say Aarti?" Payal who was silent so far asked in excitement.

"Yes." Ratan confirmed.

"The same Aarti who is on hot topic these days?" Payal's excitement was rising up.

"Yes. The very same one." Priya confirmed it even more.

"By the way, did you guys see her?" Pawan asked.

"Who ? Aarti?"

"Or who else?" Pawan rolled his eyes.

"Where did you see her?" Payal was still excited.

"2 days ago. When the new staff just arrived." Priya answered taking up up a piece of pizza.

"Where had I gone at that time. I should have been also there." Payal was half crying in regret.

"Why are you dying to see her? What is so special about it?" Pawan didn't like Payal's anxiety.

"She might be not be special but I wanted to see the woman who is being rumoured about manipulating our boss." Payal spoke like a crying child.

"What a shame! I can't believe that boss is so easy to trick." Ratan sneered.

"Exactly. He has surely not learnt his lesson after Jia. I thought at least now he would appoint eligible employees. But I guess he is not what we think of him." Priya started spilling her poison again.

"I think you guys are over exaggerating. If you are saying right then why would Boss throw Jia out." Payal defended Arihant.

"Do you think he had any other option? He had to. Every one knew about her doings. After all, there is a thing called image." Ratan scoffed.

"You guys are really too much. We all know how hard Jia tried to seduce Boss. But she could not make it. I don't know about this Aarti but I am sure that if Boss has done something then it must have some good reason." Pawan came up with some logic.

"Then let's talk about that good reason." Ratan was looking adamant to make things look his way.

"You saw Arti. Right?" He asked Priya being attentive.

"Yes?" Priya was listening to him attentively.

"How does she look like? Tall, sexy, beautiful."Ratan asked about Aarti.

"She is nothing like that. She looks like a nun. Simple and plain. She doesn't have even height to match with boss." Priya's sinister smile I was telling the height of her attitude.

"And?" Payal wanted to know more out of curiosity.

"She was very quiet. She didn't answer other than yes. To be honest, she was looking like intimidated." Priya continued.

Something struck Payal's mind.

"Guys, I have heard that she is just a school pass out." She whispered getting everyone's head near.

"Is that so?" Pawan could not believe it because he didn't expect Arihant to recruit someone who is just school pass out.

"Yes." Payal nodded her head vigorously.

"Either Boss has gone insane or this girl is very clever." Priya said staring in a specific direction.

"I got it." Ratan spoke.

"What?"Pawan couldn't get him.

"Boss has brought this girl not to work. There must be some hidden intentions."

"You speak so rubbish. Even Jiya was not able to to raise these kind of intentions in him. What can this small town, simple, plain looking, short quite girl can do?" Pawan still wanted to trust Arihant's decision.

"You don't know about it. But men really do have fantasy about such women. Women who are submissive. Women who don't question. Women who don't ask much. Women who do as they are instructed. Do you really think that he would find such kind of girl here?"Ratan spoke his best to prove his point.

"That must have been his reason of not staying in relationships for very long." Payal wondered like a kindergarten child.

"Hmmm. Girls he dated so far are exactly opposite of Arti. At least she seems to be." Priya said thinking deeply.

"Let's assume you all are right. Even if Boss has some interest this girl. What about this girl then?" Pawan was still hopeful.

"That's what I am trying to say. Just think, why would she come here to work even after knowing everything about her qualification. Wouldn't she have thought about it?" Ratan was still adamant.

"He is right. This can only be the explanation of a presence here." Payal was still wondering.

"She is such a cunning wench." Priya whispered.

Little did they know that Naveen was making Arihant listen every thing through his phone sitting on the table just beside them.

Navin disconnected the call as soon as lunch break got over.

He had his usual Sinister smile on his face.

He has been doing this since a very long time.

He makes Arihant aware of unknown face of his employees.

Arihant was angry is such an understatement right now.

He really could not believe that his own stuff think about him this way.

Yes

He did some mistakes.

He regrets them and vows to not to repeat them again.

He was never bothered about other's opinion.

What making him furious was dear word for a girl they don't even know.

He was breathing very hard.

If this is what happening to me then how will Arti cope up with it.

Arihant would have never mind this at all if it didn't involve and innocent girl's reputation.

He knew that some rumours would definitely take place but he didn't have any idea that those rumour's magnitude will be this high.

He found himself down.

Suddenly, he felt an urge to see Aarti.

He quickly gets out of his room and go to the administrative section where the newcomers were present.

Everyone stood up as soon as he enters.

His eyes were standing everyone to find Aarti.

He was seeing every second person thinking that next would be Aarti.

His vision came to end but he couldn't see her.

This is not like her.

She is as punctual as clock.

I won't agree if someone says that she is late.

"What happened sir? Are you looking for someone?" Instructor asked Arihant who was still looking in the crowd.

"Aarti." He took her name watching the crowd.

He turned.

"Where is she?" He asked instructor calmly.

Instructor checked into the attendance sheet.

"She is not here." He answered.

"That's exactly my question is. She is supposed to be here." Arihant's temper was raising.

"She must have not arrived yet." Instructor said nervously as he didn't know what to say.

"No. I saw her in the morning in lounge." One of the employees spoke.

"If she was there then how is she not here?" Arihant counter questioned her.

"I don't know sir. I saw her talking to Ayesha mam. Rest I don't know." That employee told him indicating about Ayesha.

Arihant quickly rushed to Ayesha's cabin.

"Did you meet Aarti this morning?" Arihant asked as soon as barging in her cabin.

This was very new and strange for Aisha.

"I am sorry to say but you usually knock the door." Ayesha was surprised.

"I'm sorry for that. But can you answer my question." Arihant sounded desperate.

"Yes. I did." She answers understanding his urgency.

"Do you know she is not in hotel?" Arihant started interrogating her.

Ayesha got surprised.

"Is she not back? She said she would be here within two hours." Ayesha wondered about Arti's whereabouts.

"What do you mean? Where has she gone?" Arihant asked her suspiciously.

"Actually, she mistakenly dropped her documents in the bus. The one who discovered them called her to give them back." Now Ayesha tell him everything.

"And she went? Without informing anyone?" Arihant couldn't believe what he just heard.

"She told me." Ayesha said as if it's not a big deal.

"And you let her go? Don't you know she is new here? She doesn't know anyone. How could you let her go alone?" Arihant said touching his forehead with two fingers.

Ayesha was not getting Arihant's attitude.

He was speaking about Aarti like a child who has gone school for the first time.

"she might be new but not a toddler. Even she knows how to use Google maps." She answers bluntly.

"It must have been more than five hours since morning you met her. You yourself said that she should have been back by now. If you knew, don't you think you should have told me." Arihant said keeping his one hand on waist and another one moving as he spoke.

Ayesha was getting more and more confused.

it must be because she doesn't know anything about Arti yet.

"What is there to tell you about? You were busy. You really wanted me to tell you about a mere employee between your important work." Ayesha was just being logical like any other human being would.

Of course Arihant does not need to know about his every employee's detail.

"Of course, I don't. But the point is that employee is not being found." Arihant ran fingers in hair.

Ayesha understood that he would not get calm this easily.

"Let me call her." She dials har number Singh from newcomer's information list.

Aarti's phone rang but she did not pick it up.

"She is not picking up." She said keeping phone away from ear.

"Call again." Arihant said being tensed.

That's when the receptionist came in with Aarti's phone.

"What are you doing with this phone?" Arihant asked as he could not comprehend what is going on.

"Sir. I found this phone ringing on counter. I saw Ayesha's mam number. Even though its not saved but since I remembered it. So, I brought it here."

Arihant shut his eyes in frustration.

how am I going to answer her mother if something goes wrong.

How am I going to face her.

Why it has to be Arti?

Why it has to be her who is missing?

I would have never cared about it if I didn't give my word to her mother.

"Is there any problem sir?" Receptionist ask seeing him restless.

"No problem. You may leave now." Arihant dismissed her without looking at her.

Ayesha had nothing to say now.

She was completely speechless.

She literally had no idea that this would get too far.

"She must have forgotten her phone when she was searching for the file in her bag and keeping her things out." She said looking down.

Of course Arihant was upset with her too.

but he also knew that there is no use of blaming her.

"I shall put this phone on charger." He he asked Aisha to put Arti's phone on charger as its battery was dead.

He was about to get out of the room but suddenly came on his mind and he turned.

"Ayesha." He calls Ayesha.

"Yes sir?" She asked.

" Is there any technology which make people use Google maps without phone?"

This was not a question.

This was the answer two Ayesha's explanation what she gave him a while ago.

"Send me the last received number." Arihant sad before leaving.

Ayesha signed.

She was not tensed before but seeing him Arihant so restless made her anxious too.

She puts the phone on charger.

Mobile turns on.

Ayesha go to the received call log and found the last received number very familiar.

It was Vikrant's number.

She was very surprised.

she understood that the one who got Aarti's document was her boyfriend.

Arihant asked for the last received number but she cannot do that.

She called Vikrant with her phone.

"Hello. Vikrant?"

"Yeah sweetheart." Vikrant greeted her.

"Where are you?" She asked directly.

"Why? Are you planning to meet me?" Vikrant sounded hopeful.

"Who knows!!" Ayesha thought for a second to ask him everything directly but she knew that this was not the right time.

"I am in hospital." He said.

"Hospital? Why? Are you fine? Is everything alright?" Ayesha got stressed as she thought something must have gone wrong with Vikrant.

"Yes yes. I am alright. I just came to collect my mother's report." Vikrant told her.

"Do you plan on meeting someone there?" Aisha asked to know the real answer.

"Yeah. Actually....." Vikrant was about to tell her everything but suddenly her eyes got a girl walking slowly in the hospital's park looking around as if she was trying to find someone.

"Aisha. I shall call you later." He disconnected the call.

He saw that girl for a while longer.

He calls that the same face's photograph was on the documents.

He understood that he is the same girl he called.

He walked towards her.

she was still looking around to find the one she came here to meet.

"Aarti?" He asked grabbing her attention.

She turned her head.

"Yes. You are....."

She couldn't complete her sentence.

"Yes. I am the one who called you." Vikrant confirmed.

"Oh! My documents?" Aarti asked impatiently.

"They are in my car." Vikrant pointed to his car.

"If you don't mind we have to walk there." He requested.

"It's ok." Aarti didn't see any harm.

They both started walking.

"Thank you so much for letting me know about discovering documents. You have no idea how big help it is." Aarti finally got some senses to show her thankfulness.

"Of course I have idea. I can understand its importance. That's why I called you very other second I got them." Vikrant spoke as if it's not a big deal.

"Still. Thank you so much. If anyone else were in your place. I am sure he wouldn't have bothered himself this much. I hope I didn't make you wait long." As Arti was moving towards her documents, she was getting back in her senses.

"You took long but I didn't wait for you. I had something to do here." Vikrant said to not to make her feel otherwise.

Yes. it is true that she took long but Vikrant was not actually waiting for her.

He called her here, so that he wouldn't have to waste any other time.

He noticed Aarti's pale face. He could clearly see that Arti was not fine. It looks like she was trying hard to even stand up.

"Are you fine? Your face is looking pale?" He asked.

"It must be because of sunlight. I'm alright." Aarti sad wiping off of the sweat on her forehead.

They both reached to Vikrant's car.

He opened the door of the car.

" Here your documents are." He took out and give those documents to her.

Aarti quickly shift on the file and check whether it contains every single marksheet and certificate or not.

The expression on her face was the real meaning of happiness for her.

She looked like she won some lottery.

"Thank you so much. Really thank you."

Vikrant could clearly hear the sincerity in her 'thank you'.

"You don't need to thank me again and again. It's a moral duty to help someone in such kind of situation. And on top of that you are new here."

This caught Arti's attention.

"How do you know I am new?" Arti asked.

"This hospital is most famous hospital here. There is no one in Delhi who doesn't know its way. It takes maximum one and half hour are to reach here even from the the most cornered place in Delhi and you took more than 4 hours." Vikrant logically explained her.

Aarti did not want to show him that just because she is new here, there is some problem for her.

"That's because I didn't have my phone. Otherwise I would have reached here sooner." Aarti tried to justify.

"That's no problem for me." Vikrant didn't seem to mind her at all.

"Thank you once again." Aarti said before leaving.

She was still not looking fine to Vikrant.

"Are you sure you are fine." Vikrant asked again.

"Yes yes. I am. Thank you." Aarti said forcing her weak smile.

She started walking.

it was not difficult for her to walk initially but gradually her steps become heavy.

Her head was spinning.

She could not handle herself and fell on the garden path because she fainted.

Vikrant was seeing her from afar.

He quickly ran to her.

He took her up in his arms and brought in the hospital.
___________________________

Arti opened her eyes with blurry visions. She collected her senses and realised that she is on  the hospital's bed.

"Are you fine?" Vikrant asked who was sitting beside her.

Aarti didn't have energy to speak anything. She tried to get up.

"Be careful." Vikrant put pillow behind her back to give her some support.

He gave Aarti a glass of water.

"What happened to me?" Aarti asked after drinking the water.

"You fainted. Doctors were saying that you are diabetic. You didn't eat for more for hours and you didn't take your insulin either. That's why you got deteriorated."Vikrant told what doctors told him.

How can I be so irresponsible?

It has never ever happened in my 10 years of diabetes.

I have always made sure that my stomach is filled enough.

That's probably because of the documents I forgot everything.

What would I tell mummy?

I haven't called her since I left for the office from the apartment.

I don't even have my phone right now.

She must be very worried.

This is my first day here and this has happened.

God knows what is more to come.

The man who is sitting in front of me does not know me yet he just didn't help me with my documents but also took care of a stranger like me.

"I am sorry for bothering you again." Aarti apologized sincerely.

"It's ok. There is nothing to be sorry about. We were already in hospital. I didn't do much." Vikrant said humbly.

Doctor who who attended Aarti comes in.

"How are you miss? I hope you are better." He asked her.

"I am feeling fine." Aarti nodded.

Vikrant got a phone call. He picked it up.

"Excuse me."

He excused himself and went out from the room.

"Sure." Doctor smiled.

"I have injected insulin in you. Don't skip your medicines for two more days. I have to say you are a very healthy person for  being diabetic. But you still need to pay attention." Doctor advised her.

"I understand. I shall not be careless from now on." Aarti I said looking down.

"That's good."

Doctor went out from the room.

Aarti was kind of  waiting for Vikrant to come in.

But when he didn't, she herself comes out to find him.

It seems that he has left.

"Hello." Aarti goes to the reception.

"Hello mam. What can I help you with?"receptionist greeted her smilingly.

"Actually, I am here to pay my bill." Aarti said opening her bag.

"Mam, your bill has been paid." Receptionist informed her.

Arti was surprised to hear this.

"By whom?" She asked in confusion.

"Mr Vikrant Rathore." Receptionist told her.

Aarti could not understand who she was talking about.

"He is the one who saw you fainted." Receptionist told her seeimg that Arti must have not known his name.

"Aarti?"

Before Aarti could ask anything more, she heard Ayesha's voice.

Ayesha came walkingly running to her.

"What are you still doing here? Why are you not supposed to come back sooner?" She asked Aarti as soon as she gets near her.

"I am sorry my mam. I had come here just to get my documents back but I fainted. That's why it took long." Aarti told her frankly.

"Are you fine now?" Ayesha asked being concerned.

"Yes. I am alright. Everything is fine."

Ayesha looked around to see Vikrant but she understood that he must have left.

"That's a relief. Now let's go back. Boss is very angry."Aisha said taking her hand.

"Is he?" Aarti got scared.

During all this time, she didn't think about Arihant even for once.

The one she is most answerable to.

"Shouldn't he be?" Ayesha puts seal on her fear.
_________________________

Aarti was scared like hell before entering in Arihant's cabin.

She did not expect her first day of job like this.

She was scared because she knew that she behaved irresponsibly today.

She shouldn't have acted this impulsively.

But when it was about her documents which is the life's biggest earning, she couldn't think anything else.

She was taking small heavy steps to his room.

She opened the door with trembling hands.

"May I come in sir?" She asked gathering all of her guts.

Arihant was intensely looking outside his cabin's large window.

He seemed as if he didn't do much work after knowing about Aarti.

"If you want to." he said without turning.

Aarti came in nervously.

She didn't have enough courage to to put her head up.

"Good morning sir." She said in a low voice looking down.

"Don't you think it's quite late to wish good morning. I guess it's afternoon now." Arihant said only turning around.

Although he was calm.

But Aarti good sense his taunt.

"I am sorry sir. Good afternoon." She was still not looking at him.

She couldn't.

"First day at your work and you are wishing me in afternoon instead of morning." Arihant slowly walked towards her.

His each step towards Arti was making her even more anxious.

"I am really very sorry sir." She whispered.

She couldn't feel her voice in throat.

" I thought it would be difficult for you to adjust here. But I guess you are getting very good along since you roamed on your first day and that too alone." He said standing right in front of her.

Aarti was looking down.

She was hoping herself to get vanished right now.

"I'm sorry sir." That's all she could whisper.

Actually, less than a whispering.

"Do you know anything to say other than sorry?" Arihant was annoyed of her sorrys.

"Sir. Actually my documents......" She started explaining but Arihant didn't give her that chance.

"I know about it. But I am not upset about that. What pisses me off is that you didn't tell me anything before going there. You should have told me. You should have informed me before leaving. do you really find the city so familiar that you went out without having any one with you."

Now that's where Arihant started venting his frustration out.

"I am sorry sir but when I got to know about my documents, I couldn't hold myself getting there as soon as possible." Aarti was controlling her nervousness to put her explanation in front of him.

She was still not fine due to her health and Arihant's intimidating presence was making it more worse.

"And how long did you take to be there?" He scoffed.

Aarti understood what Arihant meant.

"Aarti. I understand you were stressed because of your lost documents. You were eager to get them back but you are not a toddler to think that way. How could you leave without informing anyone well about your whereabouts just because a stranger called you? It could have been so dangerous. How could you be so careless?" Arihant spoke his concern out.

"I am sorry for bothering you sir but my documents....."

She was still adamant for her documents as if her life depends on it.

"Your documents are not as important as your own self. Do you realise what kind of trouble you could get into today?" Arihant voice was not at its highest but it was loud enough to make Arti whimper in fear.

Aarti just didn't know what to say or to do.

"Sorry sir." She whispered in trembling voice.

A lone tear fell from her left eye.

Arihant might have been on his usual tone but he realised that he shouldn't have used it on a girl who was already scared.

He instantly regretted raising his voice on Aarti.

" Did you get your documents?" he asked looking on other side coming himself down.

"Hmmm" she was not able to speak now.

Arihant looked at her face properly and realised that she is not fine at all.

Her face was all red.

Her face was all flushed.

She was trembling like a dry leaf.

"Are you fine?" He asked her.

"I am." She said trying to look up but couldn't gather courage to do so.

"Take today's leave. Submit your documents tomorrow." Arihant said walking to his chair.

"No sir. I am fine. I can start from now on." Aarti really wanted to start from today.

She insisted but Arihant could not allow her as it was quite evident that she is not fine.

"You say so but you don't look fine. I think Delhi's sunlight didn't suite you. You can join from tomorrow. Take rest today."Arihant said in his signature tone which made Arti submit.

"Yes sir." Arti whispered.

Arihant stopped for a fraction of a second when he heard these two words from Arti's mouth.

This is the point where he  didn't want to look at her.

Aarti did not wait for him to ask her leave.

She left and Arihant stared her going.

'yes sir.'

Why these two words  sound so different when she says them?

Why?
----------------------------------------
Arihant's POV

“May I come in, Sir?” Mr Ravindra asked opening the door of my cabin.

“Yes Mr Ravindra please come in.” I permitted gladly as I have been waiting for him since yesterday.

"It has been so long. I’ve missed you a lot." I expressed my happiness while hugging him.

"Well. It has just been one month." Mr Ravindra looked  uneasy at my gesture because this is not how I usually behave.

But I am actually very happy seeing him today.

Not because I am happy to see him but I am happy to see him because he came to office after winning a very important bid for our business.

I am eager to see the amount of money we got.

"Even one month felt so long without you. This office was so empty when you were not here." I said in the most enthusiastic way I could.

"I didn’t have idea that you would miss me this much." Mr Ravindra's uneasiness was rising up.

"You have no idea how much I’ve missed you." I was still smiling at him.

I have actually missed the amount of money.

"But don’t worry, I shall make you realise my missing." I said keeping my palm on his back while leading him the way to couch.

"Please have a seat."

I sat along with him.

"Naveen told me that you had some work for me." Mr Ravindra spoke nervously.

He might be wanting to reduce the uneasiness he is having due to me being extra affectionate towards him.

"Oh, that. I just wanted to know about your presence. It is not mandatory that I would call you only when I have some work." I was  trying to make him feel important.

It's not a lie.

He is definitely one of the most important persons I have in my life.

He has been with me since the first day of my business.

His ways might be old but his experienced suggestions have always worked for me.

He is not someone who tries to butter other people.

He is man of his own principles.

That's why  sometimes, Boss like me  has to butter him up to make him feel special and important.

I was waiting for him to say something about the auction but he seemed to forget about it.

"I hope you had a good visit there." I initiated this conversation to hint him to speak what he should have.

Now, he got my point.

"I am sorry I didn’t come to you earlier. I should have." He addressed the matter as soon as he realised what I wanted to ask him.

"No no. You must have had your reasons. Even I came 2 days ago." I said to make him feel less stressed.

But frankly speaking, if someone else would have been in his place and he had forgotten about such important thing then I would never forgive him.

But since it's Mr Ravindra, I can let it go easy.

"Yes. I heard about you bringing the new staff from Mathura." He said nodding his head.

"Have you met them yet?" I asked as he is going to be their mentor.

"Not now. I came straight here as soon as I entered in the building.  Naveen told me that you were looking for me yesterday." He said.

"That’s because I thought that you would have been back by then." I told him.

"I’m sure you must have heard that our bid is successful." Now that's what I wanted Mr Ravindra to talk about.

"I didn’t have to hear about it. I was so sure about you. I knew that if you would go there then there is no chance we would lose the bid." I said cheesily to flatter him even more.

"Thank you so much, Sir, but your appreciation is too much." He is someone who gets uncomfortable even with deserving praises.

"Nothing is too much.  Why do you think I sent you over all the young staff I have? You had my confidence." I said patting his back.

I waited for him to speak more.

I gestured him for something I could not ask directly.

"Oh yes." Suddenly he remembered.

Thank God.

"This is what you were asking for." He said keeping the cheque on the table.

I took that cheque in my hand and looked at it with my utmost happiness.

"200 crore. I guess our bad days have gone." I said to Mr Ravindra expressing my happiness.

I can be being myself in front of him anytime I want.

I never feel reluctant around him.

"I don’t think so, Sir." He said scratching the back of his head.

I could not understand his meaning as these 200 crores are going to help us a lot.

"What do you mean? We have 200 crores now. I can understand that you must have lost your vision after facing such crisis. But there is nothing to worry about now. You see? We are overcoming this phase so diligently. Thanks to you Mr Ravindra." I was so excited.

Mister Ravindra wanted to play along with me but as I said he is the man of his own principles.

" Sir, I can understand your excitement of seeing this much big amount after so long. But there is something I must remind you."

Now that's where all the troubles start from.

What I hate the most is that what ever he says make sense but it's so unlikeable for me.

"Mr. Ravindra. Do you know it has been so long that I have not been in a good mood? I didn’t get to see enough money or cheques. And who can other than you can understand my craving." I said hoping that he would understand.

I really wanted to enjoy this moment but how could I when Mr Ravindra is with me.

He is always there to remind me what I don't want to remember but they are always important to be remembered.

"For that I want to apologize in advance.  But please allow me to make you remember few things." He was trying his best to not to make me upset.

"So you’ve decided to not to let me be happy even for few seconds." I signed.

"You can get happy as much as you want after hearing me out." He was stealing glances as he knows that there is no chance I would be happy after listening to him.

"Don’t I know that I would be more stressed after hearing you?" I was again nothing but just being myself in front of him.

"Should I stay quiet then?" He said stealing glances being not sure about my reaction.

He is so sly.

"You are so clever. You always know how to hit right. Even though I don’t want to listen to you, but I have to." I scoffed.

Which is a fact.

He was looking at me as if he was waiting for my approval to speak.

"Now, what are you looking at my face? Go ahead." I said as already being annoyed of what he is going to say.

He puts his all courage together.

"Can I please have that cheque?" He asked putting his palm forward asking for the cheque.

This man surely wants to die today.

"I haven’t even seen it properly." I said having fake grief on my face while looking at it.

"You can as much as you want after listening me." Mr Ravindra said trying to make me understand like a small child.

"I know very well that after hearing you out, I won’t be able to put even a glance at it.You are going to make it unbearable to see." I seethed my teeth.

"Sir, please." He pleaded seeing no other way.

I signed

"There you have it." I said throwing cheque in front of him.

Mr Ravindra took the cheque in his and looked at it properly as if he was calculating something in his mind.

Now, everything is off.

"Sir. This is 200 crores. We are having around 100 crores already." He said staring his actual speech.

"Tell me something new and less disturbing." I said without looking at him because I know whatever he will say won't be liked by me.

"Sir. We have around 250 employees working under you.  If we cut out their annual salaries from these 200 crores then we are left with only 50,00,00,000." He proposed confidently.

But that made me go stiff as it was unbelievable for me.

"What do you mean by that?   You are telling me to deduct 150 crores for my employees’ annual salary." I understood his meaning in first go but I am trying to confirm it in hope of me getting it wrong.

" That’s what we need to do right now." He didn't want to say it for happiness but he is who he is.

"Have you gone out of your mind? What is the point of saving annual salaries? Don’t you consider us competent enough to cope with the situation in a year ahead?" I know what he is saying makes sense but still i was hoping him to find another way because this path would effect my personal life.

"What I consider or don’t does not matter at all. This is the demand of time. We are already running out of money. Our employees are our biggest strength.  We need to keep them happy in order to get best out of them. We cannot make any adjustment or sacrifices with  their salary and perks. I want you to keep their salaries safe for one year just in case of emergency." He explained me his point.

Now, I didn't have any option another thank agreeing with him.

" Fine. I understood I understood." I said perfuctorily.

He took out his diary and started writing something keeping that cheque in front.

What this man is upto now!!!

"Hey, what are you doing now?" I couldn't hold my restlessness.

"Sir. I think you are forgetting, but we need to pay 30,00,00,000 to Singhs. They lend us this money during our bad times. It is so nice of them that they are not asking for interest." He reminded me hoping me not to get angry.

Well!!

There's nothing to be angry about.

"Did they really give us 30,00,00,000?" I asked being hopeful that Mr Ravindra would say no despite knowing that they did.

"Yes, Sir. Do you want me to show you account?" Mr Ravindra took my restlessness seriously.

He is weak at understanding sarcasm.

"No, no, no need for that." I moved my hand to stop him.

Actually, there's no need for that.

I blindly trust him.

"So I am left with 20,00,00,000. Oh God!! I am so broke. I don’t like being poor. This is so frustrating." I cried without shedding tears after thinking for a while.

He was staring at me  blankly.

I understood that this is upto something again.

"What is it now? What is it with that expression?" I said being scared of what he is going speak next.

"Sir.  I guess we should pay back the loan you took last year." It was more like a suggestion because this could be delayed.

"Don’t tell me to do that now. I’m already broke." I wanted to avoid it.

"You are not, Sir. You have these 20,00,00,000. If you will not pay it this year. Then it will bring more interest for you to pay." Mr Ravindra wanted my accounts too be settled down as soon as possible.

"Do we really have these many debts?" I asked hopelessly having a defeated expression.

"Unfortunately ,we do Sir." He said in low voice.

"Please tell me how much I am left with." I was completely down now.

"Please tell in a way so that I won’t be dead." I reminded him as I knew what he is going to say will definitely make go more sad.

"Sir, you are left with 7,00,000."He said looking away from me.

"Just 7,00,000." I screamed in shocked.

Am I seriously going to get just 7 lacs out of 200 crores.

" You mean I’ve just 7,00,000 to spend for the next one full year? That’s bullshit." I shouted at him running fingers through my hairs.

"This is what it is. We can’t help it." Mr Ravindra was still looking away.

"I regret taking help from you. Don’t you know that how much broke my life already is? I don’t have a proper house in Delhi. I’ve been living in the hotel itself.  I was about to fix a deal of 3 bhk and you are telling me that I am left with only 7,00,000. That’s ridiculous." My frustration was on it's peak.

I somehow calmed myself down.

"Do I really have just 7,00,000 for the next one year?" I asked again in hope of getting another answer.

"This includes your airlines expenses too." Mr Ravindra said shutting his eyes tight.

"Tell me that it includes breath as well." I screamed immediately keeping palm on my chest.

Oh gooooddd!!

"Sir, if you want then we can save the salaries up to 6 months." He suggested seeing my restlessness.

He really cares about me.

He never thinks about me getting mad at him before making bitter but important or useful suggestions.

"No. No need to make compromise on that.  I guess my 3 bhk has to wait for one more year." I said understanding the situation and brought myself to my formal form.

"Sir. If you want a house so desperately, then we can go for other options as well. Like EMI and all." He suggested again.

"You know me the best. You know, I don’t take things for rent.  I prefer making things fully mine when I want them." I said getting up and walked to my chair.

I saw Mr Ravindra looking at me with a light smile.

"What are you smiling at?" I asked.

"Nothing, Sir. I was just wondering that who could believe your life being the boss of Delhi top 10 hotels.  People think that you guys have such a luxurious life and you don’t lack anything." He wonders.

He is the only one who knows this side of mine. I can be whatever I want in front of him. He knows me to the core. I don't have pretend or show off in front of him like i do before others.

"I am doing nothing new. This is the price of success every person has to pay. People before me paid and people after me will pay. That’s how everyone become successful. The funniest part is that we need to show off even after going broke.  We cannot show anyone our real struggle."I just stated the fact.

"I feel myself fortunate to know this real struggle of yours." He said.

"Even I am proud of myself to choose you to show this side of my life." I smiled at him.

Which I really am.

"By the way, come here I have something else for you to do." I called him near me.

He got up from the couch and came to me.

"These are the documents of our new staff. I want you to examine them and decide their departments. As you are the oldest one here, then it would be best if you to do this task." I told him.

"Sure, Sir."

He took all the files and went back to couch to see them.

He was seeing every file one by one.

He picked up Arti's file and thought something for a while.

I noticed that but I wanted him to speak first.

"Sir, if you don’t mind, may I ask you something?" He asked putting his glasses off.

"Even if I mind, I must listen to you." I knew what he is going to ask about.

"Is it true what I’ve heard?" He asked directly.

"What have you heard?" I pretended as I didn't want to give importance to this matter.

He didn't speak for few seconds and looked down.

"Even you got to hear something like this." I decided to stop pretending.

"This rumour is on its peak right now. I could not ignore it even if I want to." Mr Ravindra said looking down.

"This rumour does not matter to me. What matters to me is what you think about it." I said wanting to know his opinion.

"I’ve told you before too.What I think does not matter and it should not as it’s not about me. I’ve been working with you since the first day of establishment of this hotel. I know you more than anyone else. This rumour does not hold any importance neither for you nor for me. But I still think that it is something you need to fix." He said .

"If it is not important, then why is it needed to be fixed? This is not the first time when I am facing such kind of rumor. I never paid attention to them. Rumours take birth from people’s mouth and die in their ears." I really didn't want to give importance to useless things.

Or I didn't want to acknowledge it?

"Of course they die. But their ghost always haunt the person they were spoke for." Mr Ravindra is back at his wisest self.

His words woke me up from my sleep of being ignorant towards Arti again.

"Are you concerned about Aarti?" I asked him.

"I am concerned about someone whose responsibility is yours." He said.

How could he sense that?

I didn't tell him about anything.

"How do you know that I am her responsible?"

"I’ve seen her documents. She is not a kind of person you would ever hire. I am certain that it is not what people are saying. I would suggest you to do something about it before it gets out of  hand." He said.

His words made me speechless.

He stood up.

"I have alloted departments to all of them except Aarti. I think this is something up to you, In my opinion."

He left leaving me in daze.
-------------------------------------
"May I come in Navin?" I asked opening the door of his cabin.

"Sir, You?" He stood up immediately as he was surprised.

"Why? Can't I come to you?" I said walking in.

"Of course, Sir, you can, but it is not appropriate for you asking for permission to come in my cabin." He said as he is not used to such kind of treatment by me.

"Nothing is inappropriate. It is good to have all kinds of experiences. God knows what kind of situation you will be in tomorrow." I said looking around his room.

"Please have a seat, Sir." He asked me to sit on his chair.

But I chose to set on the the sofa.

He followed my hint of asking him to sit.

"You must be thinking that why am I here?" I initiated.

"No, Sir. There's nothing like this. You can come here whenever you want." He tried hard to to show himself not being uneasy of my presence but failed.

"That is so nice of you. Thank God I have someone whom I can talk to whenever I want. Thank you so much for being so welcoming." I showed my fake gratitude as it was needed because the reason of me being here demands that.

"Your most welcome, Sir. But may I know what brought you here?" He finally asked.

Now, the game starts.

"Naveen." I signed.

"As you know that you are my most trusted man. I cannot trust anyone the way I do to you. You know that, right?" I said keeping my palm on his shoulder with my great acting skills.

"Of course I do, Sir. You can come to me anytime you need someone to talk." He said what I expected.

"I knew it. You are my best office buddy. You can do anything for me." I showed excitement to his answer.

"Of course, Sir, I can. I would gladly do anything for you. You tell me what is bothering you." My excitement made him more excited.

Which I wanted.

But there is a lot more.

"I don't think that you can sort it out." I said pretending to be disappointed looking down a bit.

"Sir, just now you said that I can do anything for you. At least tell me." He said with confidence.

The confidence which I really need to testify.

"Are you sure?" I asked him staring.

"100%" He answered confidently.

"What do you think about our new staff? Are they competent enough to work here?" I wanted his honest answer but he never does that in order to butter me up.

"Of course, Sir. They are. It's just their way of working is a bit different from us, but they will learn for sure." Again he said something what I expected him to.

"Thank God you think this way. Otherwise, what I heard through your phone that day has been bothering me a lot. I've been thinking if I made a mistake bringing them here." I pretended to be pleased listening his answer like he expected.

He thought something for a while.

Maybe my extra sweet treatment has worked.

"Sir, may I say something if you permit?" He asked reluctantly.

"Yes yes sure." I was eager to know that he has been trapped.

His expressions changed as soon as something hit his mind.

"Leave it, Sir. It's nothing." He denied.

"Naveen, you know you are my most trusted person. Don't hesitate. Just say what you want to." I tried what always works on him.

"It's really nothing, Sir. That was just a random thought. Nothing else." He nodded his head negatively

Seeing his persistence, I understood that it is the time to talk directly.

"Hmmm. By the way, have you met Arti?" I asked him.

"Yes, Sir. Why?" He asked with widened eyes.

"Have you talked to her?" I asked without having any expressions.

"Yes, Sir. But why are you asking this to me?" He got little nervous.

"I wanted to ask your opinion about her." I said looking away from him.

"My opinion about her?" He repeated as if he couldn't listen.

He did listen but he just wanted to make sure what I said.

"Yes. Since you met her and talked to her, must have made some perception."

I was keeping it simple now because this is something I cannot talk with tricks.

"I have not made any perception about her. You know, I'm not like other employees." He again tried to show himself others remembering what he made me hear that day.

"Of course you are not. You are getting me wrong. My intention gor asking this is to know if Aarti is compatible enough to adjust here." It is important to use tricks to get what you want.

"Sir, you have brought her here. You must have seen something in her. How can I judge?"

His answer and his tone were enough to tell me that he doesn't think any different from the rest of the office.

He just pretends to be in my goodbooks.

His cunning nature is one of the reason why I keep him beside me.

His want of being my right hand is so high that it makes me use him however I want.

He is is someone who is good to keep beside but not to trust.

"Naveen. I guess I have to tell you everything clearly." I said showing myself to be defeated of pretending.

He used his face instead of words to ask

"Actually I have not brought her because of her talent. What talent a school pass out girl could contain?" I said pretending to make him aware of my real thoughts about Aarti.

"Then why you brought her here?" He asked with eagerness.

That's where I wanted him to be.

"Actually, she has a very strong and special connection with my mother. I couldn't ignore her after my mother's demise." I said looking down.

"I understand. How can one not do anything when it comes to mother?" He is again at it.

"Exactly." I said in low voice.

I waited for him to speak because I know the trick has worked.

"Sir, I did not say this earlier because I thought that Aarti is someone close to you and you fancy her. But frankly speaking, when I saw her, I knew that she is not a creature who could fit in here." He spoke his mind this time.

I just wanted to listen this.

"Really? If you also feels same, then I guess I've made a mistake by bringing her here." I said pretending to agree with him.

"It's OK, Sir. You have so many people to work for you. It's okay to have someone like her. Her presence is not going to make any effect at all." He was looking relaxed now which he has not been since I came here.

"Her presence is a problem itself. It has not been so long since Jia's incident. And now people are making fun of me because of Aarti. I must do something for the sake of my image." I told him the real problem.

Which is not the real one.

"Why don't you just send her back to her hometown? You can fire her too." He suggested

"I need to have a good reason for that. I cannot do anything directly because of her connection with my mother. Even if she is dead, I cannot disappoint her." I pretended as if I don't have another choice.

That is also true. He agreed.

"But this can happen if you help me." I said looking at him hopefully.

"What can I do, Sir?" He didn't understand.

"Look Naveen. You've been working with me for last 3 years. You are my closest one in this office. You have done things for me, which no one else could do. You are my walking eyes and ears. If I want to do something out of the path, then you are the only one whom I can trust completely." I said showing him my full confidence.

"Thank you so much, Sir. I shall make sure to maintain your trust. But I still have not got what are you referring to." He asked.

"Naveen. You are the head of our finance Department. You handle all the accounts. I am pretty sure that if it was not Jia then we would have never faced such kind of blunder." I made sure that he believes me.

"Of course, Sir. It was Jia whose pressure was on me. Otherwise you know me well." His overconfidence was making me laugh but somehow I controlled it.

"Of course, I know you, that's why I've chosen you for this task." I said with a smile.

"What do you mean, Sir?" He got nervous unknowingly.

" If I'll fire her just like that, then it would be an insult to my mother and I shall be joke in front of my Mathura's staff Because I am the one who brought her here in the first place.I need a reason to fire her. And I want you to build that reason for me." I told him but this was not everything.

"I still have not gotten your meaning." He understood everything but I knew he just want me to speak.

"Naveen. You are champion in accounts. The way you handle the records of transaction is unbeatable. Your calculations are always precise and perfect. I want you to have one on one face off with her." Finally I dropped the bomb on him.

"What? "Shock was understatement to to describe his reaction.

"It's exactly what you heard. I want you to have a competition with her." I confirmed.

"What kind of competition and why?" He was baffling

" I don't know much about her but what I heard from my mother, she is a declared champion of mathematics and calculations. I was thinking to keep her in finance Department initially, but if you beat her in this competition then I won't have to go through such mess." I said.

"But Sir. Whole staff will look down on me for having competition with a junior and newbie. What will they think about me? They will think that I used my power to degrade a girl." He explained his reason not to follow me.

His claims that he can do anything for me shattered just now.

"So, now you are thinking about your image instead of mine." I tried to hold my anger when he denied me but I couldn't.

"This is not what I meant, Sir. But please give it a thought. Being a man, it's a shame for me to do this to a school pass out girl." He said looking down as he also understood that I was not happy with this answer.

"Are you refusing me?" I asked raising my one eyebrow.

"Sir, we can think of another way but I don't think that this is something I can do."

I have understood by now that he is not going to answer otherwise. Doesn't matter how much I pressurize him.

Now it is the time for plan B.

"Naveen. If you beat her then I will give you my car. Whichever car you want." I said without looking at him.

"Really, Sir?" His mouth and eyes went big.

"Do I look like joking?" I was stiff now.

His answer really pissed me off that I no longer wanted even to pretend good to him.

"How about your latest car?" He asked with excitement.

"Sure, if that's what you want." I was still expressionless.

"The recent one you bought?" His excitement was raising.

"Yes. The same one." I said standing up.

"He stood up with me."

"The most expensive one?" His eyes were literally shining with imaginations of owning that car.

" The very same." I smiled.

"Okay, Sir. I'm ready to do what you will ask me." He said with confidence.

I knew his weak nerves.

"Great."

Finally the deal is sealed.

"I hope you have idea that this is going to happen in front of whole staff." I didn't want to go easy on him for refusing me initially.

"No worries, Sir. I am going to win anyway." He looked the confident.

"I'm sure you will." I smirked.

" Sir, I hope you will remember your promise." He said reminding about me giving him my car.

"I hope you will remember yours. You will have my car only if you beat her." I reminded him again.

"I'll make sure of it Sir, don't worry." His confidence was touching the roof of the room.
___________________________

"Did you do as I say?" I asked Aisha looking outside of my cabin's window.

"Yes, Sir. I’ve notified everyone to stay after office hours. But what is it exactly about?" Aisha asked.

"Nothing special. It has been so long since we had such kind of gathering. It’s good interact with staff time to time." I didn't tell her because I wanted to surprise her.

After all, she too deserves some entertainment.

"I noticed you spend too much time in Naveen’s cabin today." She asked suspiciously.

It was evident that she guessed that my spending time with Navin and today's gathering are correlated.

"It’s good you noticed. Otherwise, I would have to tell you in detail which I don’t want." I said because I wanted to avoid it right now.

"I just noticed but did not understand." She is adamant you get answer from me.

"What is there not to understand? Don’t you know that how close Navin is to me here?" I said as if as ignorant as others but thankfully she isn't.

"Don’t you know that I know why you have kept him beside you?" She said with a light smile.

She is smart enough to smell what's cooking.

"What are you up to?" She asked directly.

"You will know soon. Just make sure that Naveen loses his mobile for some time. I don’t want him to carry it when we will have that gathering." I said wearing my jacket back.

"Sure, Sir." She said looking down.

She didn't argue.

And that what I like about her.

She knows when to stop.

That's why I always let her cross her line as a employee.

She was about to get our of the room but suddenly she got a message on her phone.

She looked worried but I didn't ask as I don't concern myself with other's business.

She turned.

"Sir. Would it be OK if I am not available for the evening plan?" She asked.

"Why?" I knew the reason but still I asked.

"There is someone who needs me." She said looking at her phone.

I know that message was from Vikrant.

"You may go." I permitted.

If it wasn't Vikrant then she would never ask to leave.

She puts everything aside for him.

"Aisha." 

My voice made her stop.

"Yes Sir?" She asked turning.

I signed.

"If you want to make people around you happy, then you must find your own happiness first.  Being selfish isn’t a bad thing at all.  Try to think about only your happiness when things become too stressful." I tried to give her a hidden message which is needed for her.

"I’ll keep your suggestion in mind. Thank you."

She left.

Her facing was telling clearly that she understood what I meant but she is just like another woman in love of this world.

She always sacrifices herself for him.

But what makes me more scared is that I have an idea that how would they end up.
___________________________

"Hey. Did you get the message of staying after working hours?" Payal asked everyone.

"Yes.One of the employees answered.

"Me too." Priya said.

"Do you have any idea?" Payal asked to know the reason.

"No, I don’t. Boss is quite unpredictable these days". Priya said rolling her eyes.

"I’m sure he’s going to treat us." Payal said with excitement while clapping.

"What he will treat us for? What have we done to deserve such thing?" Priya really has not got chills.

"That is also true, but hoping for best isn’t bad at all." Payal was still hoping to be treated.

Suddenly, Priya saw aarti  passing by from there.

"Payal?" Priya gave voice to Payal.

"Huh?" Payal looked at her.

"You wanted to see Aarti , right?"  Priya asked, having the same sinister expression on her face.

"Yes." Payal nodded excitedly.

"Then fulfill your wish. There she is." Priya said pointing towards Arti.

Payal couldn’t see her as someone else was standing in front of her.

"Move aside. Let me see." Payal pushed that someone to clearly see Arti.

She not only looked at her, but also observed everything in her.

"Priya. You said that she is not beautiful." Payal was looking surprised.

Her comment made Priya a bit upset.

"Do you find her beautiful?" Priya couldn’t believe what she heard.

Payal observed Arti a bit more.

"Not exactly. But she’s cute." She said and smiled at the last part.

"Then I would suggest you to get your eyes treated."  Priya was clearly cringing over what Payal said.

Big mistake.

You are free to do whatever you like, but don’t ever offend Payal.

"And I would suggest you to get your mind treated. Huh!!"  She answered her back and left from there looking up.
___________________________

"Did you know that they are also coming
?" One of the employees asked Priya.

"If I had known then I would have never come here." Priya was glaring new employees.

" You surely would have because you wouldn’t want to upset boss." Payal said rolling her eyes.

"Is everyone here?" Arihant asked as soon as he entered.

"Yes Sir, except Aisha." Naveen said.

"She is not here with my permission." Arihant said understanding Naveen's jealousy  for Aisha.

"I told you Boss is going to treat us." Payal said in excitement seeing refreshments coming in.

"Don’t worry, Payal. I’ve specially ordered your favorite black beans noodle. They’re on their way." Arihant spoke smilingly to Payal.

"Thank you Sir" Payal said holding her smile.

Her excitement couldn't be seen by Priya.

"You have no shame when it comes to food." Priya said expecting her smile to vanish.

In which she succeeded a bit.

"Priya. She is just 20 years old. It’s her age to enjoy and being herself.  It’s good to see someone here who has her real colours on." Arihant spoke for Payal  because he really appreciate Payal's genuinity.

Arihant words made Payal's face bright again.

"By the way, Payal. When are you going to start your PG?" He asked Payal.

"I want to Sir, but my father has clearly said that my PG has to be done with my own money." Payal answered but her concentration was still on black bean noodles.

"Because he knows how worthless his daughter is to spend more on her." Priya always has to say something to offend Payal.

Payal was about to backfire but interrupted by Mr Ravindra.

"Because he knows that how much important is it to make children independent when they’re young." Mr Ravindra entered.

Arihant smiled looking at Mr Ravindra but naveen didn't feel the same.

He has always felt insecure because of Mr Ravindra.

He wants himself to be Arihant's only confidante but for that purpose, Mr Ravindra is his biggest competition.

Arihant looked at everyone present in the hall but he couldn’t find Arti.

"Where is aarti?" Arihant asked.

"We don’t know, Sir." Some of the employees said.

"Lata, she is your roommate, right?" One of the employees asked Lata in low voice.

"I am her roommate, not her personal assistant. How would I know about her whereabouts?" Lata whispered but didn't realize that some of the people along with  Arihant heard her.

Somewhere, Arihant was regretting his decision of putting Aarti with Lata.

"There she comes." One of the employees said seeing Arti coming in.

Arti came and stood in the corner as she didn't consider herself to be so important whom people could wait for.

Everyone took their places on and waited for the food.

Everyone was waiting for Arihant to permit everyone to start.

"What are you guys waiting for? Payal. Just attack. Your black beans noodles are here." Arihant announced as if he was announcing some war's beginning.

"Without any further delay." Payal screamed a bit with excitement.

She was eating as if she has been starving since ages.

She didn’t care if anyone was looking at her.

She was so busy in eating her favorite black bean noodles that she didn't think of her reputation while having noodles sauce on her cheeks.

She is surely a messy eater.

"Thank you so much, Sir. This is so delicious." She thanked Arihant with mouth full of food.

Arihant smiled and passed tissue papers to her.

Payal wiped her cheek and unintentionally she sees Arti who was not eating anything.

"Aarti. Why are you not eating anything? Have some noodles. Trust me, they’re amazing." Payal said.

"Aarti will not have any. She does not consume outside food." Lata said to stop Payal being so friendly with Arti.

"Is that so?" Payal wondered.

"Yes.I am her roommate. I know. Isn’t it aarti?" Lata boasted as if she wanted to show off her concern for Arti in front of Arihant.

"Sir, if you don’t mind me, may I ask the purpose of this gathering." Priya asked.

"Nothing special. I just wanted the new and the old staff to mingle a bit as I saw both the parties being hostile to each other. Specially old staff to new one." Arihant spoke hinting everyone that he knows what's going on behind his back.

His words made environment a bit tensed.

No one either speaking or asking.

Payal's burp broke the silence.

" Hee hee hee hee. Sorry." Payal said gulping her last morsel and scratching the back of her head.

Arihant have always found Payal very cute.

Payal's action made him laugh and not even him, everyone there.

"Why don’t you introduce each other informally, as this is not some meeting." Arihant  suggested.

He intentionally said this looking at Aarti making her to speak first so that what he wants to do can be accomplished without wasting any time.

"My name is Aarti Sharma." Arti spoke reluctantly.

"And?" Payal was excited to know more about her.

"I am from Mathura." She said trying to hold her nervousness.

Generally, she isn’t that nervous but since she is all alone here and there are so many unknown people asking her questions was making her very nervous.

"What about your qualification?"  Priya has finally gotten the chance she was waiting for.

Chance to show Aarti down.

I’ve done my 12th with PCM. Artie tried to sound confident.

"Just 12th? That means you never went  college." Priya spoke intimidatingly.

Artie entangled the corner of her scarf in fingers due to nervousness which  did not go unnoticed by Arihant.

"No. I went college for 2 years. But due to some circumstances I couldn’t complete my graduation." She answered.

'That means you are not even graduate." Ratan interrupted.

Who is no different from Priya.

"She said that she attended college for 2 years. She was just not able to give her last year exams. She’s almost a graduate. It’s a different thing that she does not hold any degree. Her 2 years attendance in college makes her almost a graduate." Payal said even though she was busy in eating.

"Which era are you living in? In today’s world, you are considered educated only if you have degree.  You can’t even have a job without one." Priya said rolling her eyes.

"What are you talking about Priya? We have one such example sitting in front of us. All though she is just a school pass out, she is as equal as us because she is doing job in our workplace." Ratan spoke cunningly to sound as if he is siding with Arti but his words were clear that he was indirectly insulting her.

Arti was really feeling cornered right now.

"Ratan." Arihant took his name in such a roared voice which made the whole hall go silent.

There was pin drop silence

Arihant has still not forgotten what Ratan spoke about him regarding Arti.

He is just waiting to show him that who is the real Boss here.

"I hope you are aware what you are talking about." Arihant used his low dangerous tone.

Ratan understood that Arihant didn’t like what he said.

"Sir, don’t get me wrong. I meant that degrees do not hold any importance in front of talent. She is doing job with us without even having a degree.  You must have seen some talent in her." Ratan tried to cover it up with his  cunning words and sinister awkward smile.

Arihant couldn’t take it anymore

"Let’s make it equal then." Arihant said hitting the table

"Mr. Ravindra." He signalled Mr Ravindra to do something.

Mr Ravindra nodded and brought few files which Arihant asked him to keep ready beforehand.

"What is going on?" Payal asked looking around.

"Nothing. We are just going to examine if really talent matters more than degree." Arihant answered but no one could understand his  actual meaning.

"These are the most unsettled financial records of our hotel. They are no longer needed to be fixed. But for one face off, They’re quite useful." He explained.

"But who is going to play against her?" Ratan asked.

"Anyone wants to volunteer?" Arihant asked everyone even though his plan was already settled because he wanted to show it natural and unplanned.

Naveen raised his hand as they both had pre planned.

"Are you sure?" Mr Ravindra asked as he was surprised.

Mr Ravindra was unaware of what's going on.

"Yes Mr Ravindra. I am very sure." Naveen said confidently.

"Sorry to interrupt, but I think you should ask Aarti too." Payal interrupted.

"That’s right. It is about her and top of that she is new." Ratan said not because he wanted any good for Arti but because it was the chance for him to take advantage.

Arihant looked at Arti.

"Aarti. Do you object?" He asked softly.

Arti who has been listening everything what was silent couldn’t comprehend anything as nothing of it was expected by her.

She wanted to say no but interrupted by Payal.

"I object on behalf of her." Payal objected raising her hand.

"Please proceed." Arihant permitted her to speak further.

" I know I am youngest among all of you. But I find it a bit unfair. Aarti has completed her school and attended college for only 2 years. She had been studying mathematics only. On the other side, we have someone who has completed his post graduation with accounts.  He has a lot of work experience. He is one of the most senior employees in this office. Don’t you think that this competition a bit unfair when it comes to settling these difficult accounts?" Payal came up with some logical reality.

"Are maths and accounts not related?" Priya couldn’t digest that Payal was siding with Arti.

"Of course not. They are as not related to each other as you and brain do not relate to each other."Payal leaves no stone unturned to backfire at Priya.

"Then what do you want?" Priya just asked this as she couldn’t dare to speak ill in front of her boss.

"I want this competition to be fair and equal. I want you to examine both of them on the grounds of what they have common. Aarti surely doesn’t know anything about accounts and all. But I am sure that Naveen Sir must have done well during his school years." Payal tried her hard to not to sound offended to Naveen.

"Do you think we are in primary school? If they will be asked such questions, then how do you expect her to work here?" Ratan scoffed.

"She doesn’t need to learn rocket science to learn here. Today’s competition will prove how much she is good at what she learnt. If she proves herself today, then there is no wonder that she would be able to make herself fit in here too. Am I saying anything wrong, Sir?" Payal asked Arihant directly because she knows there is no use of speaking anything until boss does not agrees.

"Not at all. I 100% agree with you." Arihant showed his confidence in Payal.

Actually he is waiting for the right moment to hammer the nail.

Arihant dis not interrupting yet because he was feeding the goat before slaughtering it.

"So. We shall start when everyone will be done with eating." he dismissed.

Payal was not still in peace. She has understood so far that everyone including her boss is targeting Arti for no reason.

At least that’s what she could comprehend.

She is not confident enough that she could handle it this situation further like she did by now.

She is alone here.

She looked at Arti and understood that she really needs someone.

Payal did her best but now even she isn't sure what will happen next.

That’s why she sneaks from there to call Aisha.
___________________________

"Why have you made this? Don’t you know I’m sick?" Vikrant complaints as he sees Aisha coming with a bowl of white pasta.

She sat on bed beside Vikrant.

"You are sick because you are craving for white pasta made by me." She said feeding him.

Vikrant ate and smiled.

"You knew I was not sick, still you came." He said smilingly holding her hand

"You didn’t have to make any excuse. I would have come simply as well. You just had to tell me directly." She held his hand more tight.

This was right.

He has always been top priority for her

"I did that because I thought you won’t make enough efforts to leave the office." Vikrant said looking down in embarrassment.

Aisha understood that how desperate he was to see her.

"My boss is quite understanding." She said looking up making a thinkable expression on her face.

"That’s why you don’t want to come to me leaving him." Vikrant joked back.

"I don’t want to come to you because I know you will make me cook this white pasta even in your office." She said feeding him again.

"That is right." Vikrant agreed laughingly.

Suddenly, Vikrant got a call. he picked it up.

"When?" He asked in high voice

He was looking tensed.

"Why are you telling me now?" He asked running fingers through his hairs

"Why did you tell him first? Didn’t you know that you should have told me before him?" He was annoyed like hell.

" I’ll be right there." he said before hanging up

He quickly grabbed his blazer and left without even looking at Aisha or the white pasta he was eating few minutes ago.

Aisha wanted to ask what got him so upset

But the way he rushed from there made her stay quiet.

This is nothing new to her.

Of course, he is her first priority but she is not sure about him.

They have been dating for so many years but still she isn't sure about their future.

She didn't do anything except staring at  his going image.

She felt bad but didn't have tears in her eyes because she has gotten used to it.

She sadly looked at the bowl of white pasta.

He hardly had two spoons.

She doesn’t even wonder what if they don't end up together.

She just things about his comfort  because she loves him.

She is a kind of person who can't stop loving once she started.

She was lost in her thoughts, that’s when she got called from Payal.

"Yes, payal?"
_________________________________
"Shall we start?"  Arihant was about to start the show.

"Sorry to interrupt, but I don’t think that it’s still fair." Payal interrupted because she wanted to buy some time till Aisha comes.

"Now, what is your problem?" Arihant was annoyed like hell.

"Everyone knows that Naveen Sir is close to boss. What if he does partiality?" Payal spoke in low voice because she knows that what she said might offend her boss

Arihant didn’t get offended but Navin surely did.

"If he won’t do it, then who will?" Navin said in anger.

"Me."

Aisha walked in.

Naveen got nervous as Aisha has always intimidated him.

That is his nature.

He is always intimidated by confident and knowledgeable people.

"You were not supposed to come today, didn’t you?" Naveen inquired.

"You don’t look glad that I shall also see you winning." Aisha sugarcoated her taunt.

Arihant didn’t want to waste anymore time.

" It’s better you are here." Arihant said.

"Payal. Is it fine now?" Arihant asked Payal permission to proceed as she is the one who was having problem in everything.

"Undoubtedly." Payal smiled.

Naveen put his hand in his pocket to take his phone out but he couldn't find it.

"What happened?" Arihant asked although naveen’s mobile is disappeared on his order.

"I don’t know where my phone has gone." Navin was still searching his phone in his pockets

"Why do you need phone?" Aisha asked.

"For answering the questions." Navin said as if it’s not a big deal.

"Naveen. Your face off to her is about mental abilities. I didn’t expect that you would think of using mobile phone." Arihant said making it so obvious for Navin that he has flipped.

Navin was flustered because he thought that Arihant  would speak every time in his favor.

"It’s not like that, Sir." Navin tried to cover it up for the sake of his so called image.

"If it is not like that then let it be. You can look for your phone later. But now,  I want you to pay your full attention here." Arihants word were clear indication for Navin to remind him about the car he promised him to give if he wins.

"What are these files are here for?" Aisha asked seeing those files.

" Sir had asked them to get here." Payal immediately spoke.

"Don’t tell me that these old accounts are going to be the ground of this face off." Aisha scoffed.

Arihant gave her a questioning expression.

"Since I am going to be the in charge, I shall decide the questions.  We have many employees working here despite having qualifications of other fields. We just want witty and quick learners. My questions will examine your intelligence and presence of mind. They will have nothing to do with your academics." Aisha said as she is going to be the referee of this face off.

Her words made go Navin nervous.

"I object. We have a specific field to work. We cannot hire someone just because he or she is intelligent or have presence of mind." He said as he was losing his confidence, moment by moment.

"If that is the case, then let me remind you that you are also graduated in maths.  You did post graduation in account. Yet you are handling everything regarding accounts. May I ask you the point of doing PG in account when you were already graduated in mathematics? Did being a maths graduate create any complications for you while studying accounts?  I agree you must have had some complications, but still you managed to do well there." Aisha knew that Navin would object it.

But there is no way he can stop her.

"What do you want to say?" Navin again asked a useless question.

"I just want to say that if someone wants to switch their fields then all what they need is intelligence and hard work to move on. You cannot generalise them." Aisha was tired of explaining herself since she showed up.

"Aisha is absolutely right. I agree with her." Arihant sided up with Aisha.

This was the moment when Navin knew that he is screwed up.

He was very confident so far because he thought that Arihant is with him.

Everything seemed easy to him, because his biggest support got his back.

But now he doesn’t feel the same.

"But Sir………. "He tried to spoke.

But interrupted by Arihant, who came forward to him keeping his hand on his back.

"Naveen. The game is on. I remember how much concerned you were about your image. It’s better for your image to go with the flow. Just don’t forget about the car I promised you. Use it as your source of motivation to win this game. I still believe you. I know you will win." Arihant said in low voice in Navin's ears.

Navin gave him an awkward smile.

"Alright? "Arihant gained everyone’s attention.

"Yes, Sir."  Everyone said in one voice.

" Everything is set. Shall we start? "

And then Aisha started the face off.
-------------------------------------------
No one's POV

"If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?" Aisha asked her first question.

"Who will answer it first?" She asked looking at both the competitors.

"Ladies first." Navin said proudly.

"5 minutes." Arti answered after thinking for several seconds.

Navin scoffed at her answer.

"100 minutes." He answered confidently.

His answer made everyone laugh.

Because this was one of the very childish questions.

"Don’t answer hurriedly. At least listen question carefully. How could you be so dumb?" Arihant told Navin.

Navin looked down in embarrassment.

"Never mind. Next question." Aisha preceded.

" In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake? " Aisha completed her second question.

" Let Navin answer first this time." Payal suggested as the first question was answered by Arti first.

"24 days." Navin was hell of sure about his answer.

Aisha looked at Arti, waiting for her answer.

"It’s 47 days." Arti answered calmly.

"How?" Navin was stunned.

"Arti please explain." Aisha asked softly.

"It seems intuitive to half the number of days because you're halving the size of the lilypad patch. But if the area of the lake covered in lilypads doubles every day, it would only take one day for it to go from being half covered to fully covered. Take one day away from 48 days and you're left with 47."  Arti explained.

Arti’s confidence was increasing moment by moment.

"One more to Arti."

Payal wrote plus one in Arti’s column.

"A basket containing 5 apples, how do you divide the apples among 5 children so that each child has 1 apple while 1 apple remains in the basket?"

Everyone looked at Arti to answer this question first.

But Arti got a bit nervous due to everyone’s gaze.

"I’m not sure about its answer. You can ask him first." She said.

"I can’t come up with anything." Navin gave up already on this question.

Now everyone was waiting Arti to answer.

" I’m not sure if this is the right answer. But that’s all I could understand. 4 children get 1 apple each while the fifth child gets the basket with the remaining apple still in it." She just guessed.

She was hoping it to be correct.

"Give her one more point." Aisha said to Payal.

Arti got relaxed now.

"Two girls were born to the same mother, at the same time, on the same day, in the same month and the same year and yet somehow they’re not twins. Why not?" Aisha asked next question.

No one could answer this. Everyone was thinking of some possible answer.

"That must be a trick question." Navin said as he had nothing to say.

"Then you  give tricky answer." Payal couldn’t hold herself.

Which offended Navin.

"It doesn’t have any answer. How is it even possible that the Twins are not called Twins?" Navin baffeled.

"Arti. Do you know its answer?" Payal asked Arti.

But unfortunately Arti too didn’t know.

"I don’t know its exact answer. But according to me there is only one way  for that to happen." She said.

The way she responded baffled Navin even more.

He was frustrated now.

"There is no way that can happen. What are you trying to do? Don’t try so hard to outwit me." He said seething his teeth.

No one could believe his tone.

Specially Arihant.

"Navin."  Arihant roared.

His intimidating voice caught everyone’s attention.

" I can understand that you have lost your mind due to continuous defeat, but don’t lose your manners." He spoke in low dangerous tone.

Navin couldn’t do anything other than bowing his head.

Arihant looked Arti.

Arti, who got a bit nervous.

"Arti. answer."

His soft voice gave her a little courage.

" I think there must be third child too. That is why they are not called Twins. They would be called triplets." Arti answers.

"But the third child is not mentioned in the question." Priya objected.

"But the question didn’t say that it can’t be triplets either." Payal interrupted to keep Priya shut.

Aisha eyes falls on Mr. Ravindra.

"Mr. Ravindra. Do you want to ask something?" She asked him gently.

"Sure, but only if boss permits." Mr. Ravindra said as if he was waiting for this opportunity.

"You never need my permission. But be easy on them." Arihants spoke smilingly

"Of course. I am going to ask a question which would  possibly the most simple question of this evening." He said.

His words made Navin gulped.

Because he knows that the most easy question generally is the most difficult one.

"How many feet are in a mile?"  Mr. Ravindra asked.

And this was the point where Navin was missing his mobile.

He was trying to do calculation in his mind.

But when the answer didn’t seem coming from him,  Arti answers.

"5280  Feet." Arti gave answer to Mr. Ravindra.

" Plus one for Arti." Mr. Ravindra smiled.

"There were some people on a train. 19 people get off the train at the first stop. 17 people get on the train. Now there are 63 people on the train. How many people were on the train to begin with?" Aisha asked the last question.

"46 for sure." Navin answered immediately in Happiness.

He was quite sure that this time he was right.

He looked around to see peoples reaction to his answer.

But what happened so far has made people aware of his real status.

Everyone  was being reluctant while cheering for him.

Arihant sneered seeing this.

He is finally getting what he wanted to.

"Arti. Is your answer different from him?" Aisha asked Arti.

"Can I have one minute to think about it?"Arti asked for some time as she wanted to be sure of her answer.

"Sure." Aisha permitted.

Everyone was waiting for Arti to answer.

They all have understood that there is no chance that Arti would be wrong, but still they won't admit it.

"All I need is need just popcorn to enjoy this show." Payal was literally enjoying everything that was going on.

This was nothing less than any entertainment show for her.

She was enjoying everyone’s expression.

Oops! Not only expressions.

Their views which were changing for Arti.

It’s not like that they wanted them to be changed but from today on they won’t be able to keep them either.

"It’s 65." Arti answered after thinking for about 5 minutes.

"How?" Navin asked because he was 100% sure that his answer was correct.

"Can you please elaborate?" Arihant asked Arti.

"All you have to do is work backwards. 17 people get on the train. Now there are 63 people on the train. You have to subtract the 17 people from the 63 people on the train now. 63 – 17 = 46. 19 people get off the train at the first stop. Now, add 19 to the 46 on the train after the first stop. 46 + 19 = 65." She explained her answer.

There was a pin drop silence after Arti’s answer.

No one had got anything to say.

It felt as if  their tongues has been  snatched from their mouth.

"It’s clear that we have our winner. Isn’t it?" Payal said as if she was declaring the winner.

"But Sir. Don’t you think that this competition and these questions were too childish? This was not some mid term exam." Priya still has not got chills.

"This was not some interview either." Aisha interrupted.

"This competition was based on presence of mind and general intelligence And that’s it." She continued.

"But still." Ratan tried to speak.

" Stay still." Arihant roared Louder than before.

"It doesn’t matter who loses or wins. All what matters is a fair start. Both the parties ageed to the terms even before the competition started. There is no point of complaining now. This was just a low scale entertainment face off. Why you guys are taking it so seriously?"

Now this was the high time for Arihant to speak.

This is the moment he has been waiting for so long.

"Or should I say that the thought of bearing her everyday is so intolerable for you all that you want to look down upon her again?" He finally revealed his intention.

The way his expressions got changed made everyone aware of it.

"What do you mean, Sir?" Ratan asked, stealing glances.

" What I mean is that I don’t want to hear your own created synonyms for her.  Illiterate fellow, school pass out, small town girl, plain,  average, Opportunist, cunning wench. I don’t want to hear these words again because she has proved it today that she is none of them." Arihant's voice increased with every single word.

Arti understood what he meant.

This was a reality checheck for her.

"Her name is Arti. Arti Sharma. And that's the only word you will use to call her or while talking about her among yourselves." He was now directly dictating.

" I went easy on you all this time because it's okay to make mistakes when you are  unaware of things. But now I guess you are aware of her school pass out talent so well. "He brought his voice a bit down.

"This is an open seminar today." He said, looking around.

"If there is still someone left who does not understand my reason of bringing her here then you are very much welcome to come up with your questions to me." He gave everyone one more chance.

But no one dared to speak anything.

He understood that his message has been relayed to everyone.

"I can understand your thoughts. I agree that if I were you then I would think the same. It is correct that her appointment is independent of her qualifications. But as you all have seen that she is equipped enough to grasp the situation according to circumstances and react accordingly. That’s all I needed to hire her."

He took a pause to see if someone still there with questions.

Or accusations.

" You almost had have lots of questions. I guess that you have gotten your answers by now.I truly hope you all two get along well with each other in future. "

"Yes, Sir." All said in one rhythm.

"You may all leave now." He dismissed everyone.

Everyone started walking out.

"Ratan." Arihant called Ratan.

"Yes, Sir." Ratan turns.

"Come here, I need to have a word with you." He called him close.

"What is it, Sir?" Ratan was nervous.

Specially after seeing 'Old Arihant' back.

Arihant puts hand around his neck and get closer to his ears.

"I must say. Your fantasies are quite absurd." He said lowly in Ratans ears.

Ratan finally learned his lesson that the boss will always be boss.

Arti didn’t want to stay here even for a minute. She was happy awhile ago thinking that she proved herself. But then she got to know what these people were thinking about her. What happened was definitely in her favour, but this discovery of people's thought has shaken up her from inside.

She immediately leaves.

Arihant notices her going but doesn’t stop her. He understood that she needs some time for herself.

Arihant came back to his cabin.

"Was it necessary?"  Aisha asked as soon as he entered.

Aisha was already there arranging his cabin.

"Don’t you think it was?" He asked while sitting on couch.

"It was just a rumour. It wouldn’t affect you at all. As far as about her, she would learn to handle such kind of things." It was still unbelievable for Aisha to see Arihant like this.

Because she never saw him revoking like this.

"I used to think the same. But recently I realised that a rumour can utmost hurt a man’s pride but it holds the power to kill a woman's spirit.  And spirit is the most important thing that she needs here." He said staring somewhere aimlessly in air.

Aisha saw something different in him today.

Ofcourse, he is back in his old Avatar like he used to be before but it's different even from that.
---------------------------------------------------
Arti's POV

"You were amazing today."Lata said hugging me.

We just came back from the office.

From that casual showdown.

"Was I?" I asked being nervous.

I wasn't nervous because of what happened. I was nervous because of what I got to know later.

"Of course you were. The way you defeated Jacob is so commendable. We could literally see fire in his eyes." She spoke excitedly.

This is the first time when she is mingling with me like this.

Otherwise, she never showed any interest in me.

Is it because what happened in the office just now?

Probably.

"I just answered the questions. Nothing else." I said looking down.

"Of course, of course I get you."

I didn't respond.

"By the way, I am not one of them whom Sir was talking about." She said.

No.

She tried to clarify.

My silence must have clicked it in her mind.

I didn't know what to say so I just looked at her with a questionable face.

"I mean, it was quite evident that today's showdown was not only to show your abilities, but also to shutdown the rumours lingering around from past few days."

I still didn't give any response.

"I didn't say anything or think like that for you. You know what I mean, right?" She asked, taking my hand in hers.

Was she expecting me to say that I trust her in first place?

"Yes. I am understanding." I didn't want to say this, but I had to.

I had no idea that what happened today would change her perspective towards me.

"Do you want to lights remain on?" She asked.

Her question was so surprising.

I had been asking her to switch off the light while we sleep since I came here. But she never paid attention to my comfort over her habits.

"As you wish. I don't want you to change your habits because of me. I will get used to every new thing eventually." I said.

Which is true in some way.

I guess I really need to change many things in me.

"Okay." She went to sleep.

I am standing in front of the mirror in bathroom brushing my teeth.

I took bath after that and changed into my regular nightwear that is loose T shirt and pyjamas.

I got into my bed to sleep but all the time several thoughts had taken over my mind.

I don't know what is going to happen tomorrow onwards, but I'm sure that something would definitely be changed.

I'm not sure if it does because of my today's performance or because someone important was shown to be in my favour.

But now I am sure of one thing that this world is really isn't all about what it seems.

There are unwritten rules that you need to follow.

There are unheard words that you must understand.

There are unsaid requests that you must do to please people around you.

Why haven't I come across to all of them until now?

Did they exist before around me or I was just ignorant?

Did they happened to me earlier too or I just didn't pay attention to them?

I don't know if I am just over exaggerating or this is a kind of situation for me to really exaggerate about.

But I am surely overthinking.

But I can't help it at the same time.

Should I have come here?

Could it be avoided, what happened today?

I just wish this to be the end of it.
________________________

No one's POV

Arti got up at 4:00 o'clock in the morning as usual.

Like always, she did her yoga and the rest of the stuff.

Lata was still sleeping and Arti was making breakfast for both of them.

She had her breakfast and kept Lata's on the dining table.

She didn't bother to wake her up as it's not something new.

She got ready, took her bag and walked to the bus stop.

She waited for the bus for a while and took it when it reached there.

I am nervous.

I wasn't this nervous even on my first day.

It might be because I wasn't aware of the hidden protocols.

I'm not expecting people to be super cool with me, but yes, I'm sure there will be some changes.

But I feel burdened.

Specially now when I know that they all were fake to me.

I have always tried to be nice with people, but I don't know what to do when I know that other person is just faking it.

Maybe I should just play along.

I have not been allotted any Department yet, that's why I do whatever extras is being given to me.

I was trying my best to concentrate on my computer screen, but the stealing glances of people around were distracting.

Only I knew what took me to not to show my nervousness

There is no one I can talk to

There is no one I can rely on

Yes of course Aisha mam is there but she is my boss and I just met her. I can't let her think of me as a nagging toddler.

Now it's lunchtime

Arti took her tiffin and head to the office's canteen.

This was the first time she was here since she couldn't get the chance earlier .

Everyone was busy among themselves.

Then she saw Payal.

Yes, Payal

She was good to me yesterday.

Should I go to her?

Elisabeth hesitantly approached Payal who was busy and laughing and talking with her office buddies.

"Hi." Arti spoke in low tone to gain her attention

"Oh Arti. Hi." She turned her head and greeted Arti with excitement.

And Arti gave her light smile and looked at the people who were sitting around Payal.

Their gazes made her even more nervous.

"If you don't mind, may I sit here." She asks Payal

"Of course. Why would I mind?" Payal didn't mind at all.In fact she void the chair next to her for Arti to sit.

Some of Payal's Officemate showed her eyes signalling to not to let Arti sits beside her.

But she smiled at Arti and turned her eyes to her office mates.

"What? If you have some problem then you may leave." She asked them to leave without hesitating.

Everyone was stunned.

"Actually, it would be better if you leave." She didn't leave any better choice for them.

Wow. She's so fierce.

Arti sat beside Payal.

"What would you like to have? I'll order it for you." She even asked her with a smile.

"No, thank you. I have brought my lunch." Arti answers showing her tiffin.

"Oh yes. I forgot that you only eat homemade food. Last evening,Lata mentioned it." She remembered.

She started eating her junk food.

"Actually I wanted to say thank you." Arti initiated the real conversation now.

"Thank you for what?" She asked while feeding herself.

"Yesterday you supported me a lot. If it was not you, then I would have felt very cornered." Arti was genuinely thankful to her.

"Don't mention that. You will always find me when you need someone. By the way, you were stunning last evening. The way you knocked him down was so superb. You won't believe, but I was recreating that scene even in my dreams." Payal waved her hands on last part.

The way she speaks made Arti smile.

"I am flattered. Thank you so much, but don't you think that you are at loss somewhere?" Arti said as she was a bit concerned for her too.

"Loss?" Payal wasn't stopping eating at all.

"I mean, I have just come here and you have been working here for so long. The way you stood up for me, It would have been very difficult for you if I had lost yesterday." Arti expressed her worry for that part.

"No way. Do you think I took your side because I pity you? No bloody way. I knew you were going to win. I was hell sure about it. That's why I stood up for you. Let me tell you, I always take sides with winners. I don't like losers. At all."

Is she always this candid?

She really doesn't have any filter.

Arti didn't realize but she was staring Payal.

Even Payal noticed that.

"Why are you not eating? Eat up." Payal put some of Arti's tiffin food in plate

"You are unbelievable." Arti really found Payal unbelievable.

"You are calling me unbelievable? Didn't you see boss yesterday?" She spoke with the mouth full of food.

"What about him?" Arti I asked casually.

"Why are you asking? Didn't you see the way he showed everyone their place? He was so cool, wasn't he?" Payal was excited on last part.

"It is not like what happened was deliberate. You guys were asking me about me and then........." Arti was still casual but stopped by Payal laughter.

She was really laughing a bit hard.

As if she found Arti amusing.

"Do you really think that what happened was just accidentally happened? That everything was just circumstantial?" She is still amused.

Arti didn't get her.

"What do you mean?" Arti asked having a serious expression.

"What I mean is that everything that happened last evening was preplanned by our boss." Payal said getting close to Arti in low voice

"Why would he do such thing?" Arti was surprised but was trying to not to show it.

"Well, there are several reasons. First, there were so many rumours about you and him. Second, he might be wanting to shut those rumours down. but that can't be the case because it had happened earlier too and he never paid attention to such things. So according to me he did that to show your ability to the whole office in order to make them stay quiet." Payal said As if it was no big deal for her to say that or to know that.

That means what I was thinking was absolutely right.

It was intentionally done for me.

Does it mean that they've really spoke and thought of me so low?

"Plain, cunning wench, illiterate, and so many more. Did they really say this about me?" Arti whispered one drink while looking aimlessly in air.

"You have no idea what would they might have been saying among themselves." Payal was still cool and enjoying her lunch.

Right.

I have no idea about anything.

I had no idea about it.

Arti got back to her lunch

"You don't even have to think about it either. Boss not only had idea about this, but he took care of it in his way. So stop bothering now." Payal was just talking.

She didn't have any idea what Arti is going through right now.

Arti understood that what happened made her stand out but the fact that Arihant did it for her was not acceptable for her yet.

"Are you saying that whatever he did was for me?" Arti was trying to confirm more than asking.

"As I said, there may be several reasons, but you are the major one. Boss knew that the kind of personality you are would never be able to bear such thing. That's why he shut them up before they could reach your ears. And that's what I like about him." She literally sounded like a fangirl.

This girl really has not gotten filters.

"Huh? Can you please elaborate?" Arti wanted to be sure of what she was assuming.

"See. If he wanted then he could have fired all of them who spoke ill about you and him. But he didn't because he knows that this world is full of these kind of people. If he will fire them, then there is no guarantee that the that new hired ones will be different from them. He always make people bow in front of him while adjusting among them. He corrects people rather than discarding them. He uses needle instead of sword. Because he knows that using the sword will kill the person at once. But he pinch needle time to time to remind people their place." Payal explained everything to Arti in detail.

Arti didn't know if she should actually believe what Payal told her about Arihant.

"Is he that intimidating?" Arti was flustered.

"That intimidating?" Payal scoffed.

"He is the definition of intimidation. That is his speciality." She continued.

"If that is the case, then I guess I should stay away from him as much as possible." Arti averted her eyes from payal.

"Why do you want to stay away from him? As far as I can see, he already has a soft corner for you." Payal creased her eyebrows innocently having that puppy expression.

"Does he?" Arti was flustered again

"Of course. Otherwise, why would else he would fight for you? I think you should thank him instead."

"I want another burger." Payal called the waiter.

Thank him?

Should I?

"Leave these things. You have not eaten up. First, eat properly."

Payal started feeding Arti with her own hands as Arti didn't seem to be eating herself.
____________________________

"May I come in, Sir?" Arti asked opening the door of Arihant's cabin.

"Yes, come in." Arihant permitted while being busy on his laptop.

She came and and slightly closed the door to not to make any sound.

She walked to him.

"Good morning Sir." She held her right hand wrist with left one palm and bowed a bit while wishing him morning.

He moved his attention from laptop to her.

"Good morning, Arti.I hope you are getting along well here." He said looking her.

Did he actually do that intentionally?

If not then why is he mentioning about me getting along good special today?

Am I overthinking?

I think I should just play along.

He already made it easy for me by asking that.

"This day is different from previous ones. People are more welcoming towards me today. I am here to thank you for that. Thank you so much." She showed her sincere thankfulness to him.

Arihant leaned his back and see her carefully.

"May I know why are you thanking me? I mean, what did I do to bond you good with other people?" He just asked.

Simply asked.

Arti looked down thinking what she should answer.

"What you did last evening pushed everyone to be good to me." She answers where she decided to be just truthful of her thoughts.

"What did I do last evening? I was neither the questioner, nor the one who was answering. Then what did I do? I just stood there and enjoyed the show." He pretended to be oblivious.

Is he playing with me or just being himself?

"You created an opportunity for me. You give me a chance to show people that I am not as worthless as they think of me." She said whatever she could find to speak.

"How do you know that I didn't consider you worthless?" He asked immediately looking at her intensely.

His question made her stunned.

"Excuse me, Sir?" She didn't know what to say.

"Yes. Do you really think that what I did was for you?"

Is he inspecting me?

Who knows?

Everything here is so unpredictable.

He stood up and walked towards Arti.

"Look, Arti. I accept that what I did had motive to create an opportunity for you, but I didn't have any idea that you would win. I didn't do anything last evening. I might sound harsh, but the reality is that I didn't have trust in you. I mean why would I? What did I know about you? I don't know anything about you even now. You might have not noticed, but I didn't say anything in your favour before the competition. It's because I was not sure that you would win. I just gave you an opportunity to make me believe in you and you did that. I gave you the chance to get me on your side and I must say you did it very well. I created those circumstances to see if you are worth fighting for. And you proved yourself. Not only in front of the whole staff, but also to me. Frankly speaking, last evening it was the first time when I realized that I did nothing wrong bringing you here. So stop thinking that I did anything for you. It was you who did everything." He walked while saying and stopped as soon as he stood in front of her.

Although, they were just two step afar but she isn't used to so close to any man.

Even this much.

She looked down and blink her eyes and then took two steps back to maintain her safe distance.

Even he noticed that.

"But still you gave me this chance." She said in low voice without looking at him.

"That is something I'm supposed to do. I am the boss here. And as a mentor, it's my responsibility to provide you fair chances. So there is nothing for you to thank me." Arihant said as if it was something very obvious.

Just say it already Arti.

Just say and leave.

"Still, I want to thank you. I know that you will find it very strange if I say this, but till yesterday the eyes which were looking down on me and making me feel uncomfortable, they have respect for me today. Till yesterday I was even hesitant to talk to anyone here but now everyone wants to talk to me. All of this is very new to me because I have never gone into a new environment. I lived in the same place since childhood, studied in the same school and made only one friend. To be honest, till yesterday evening I was thinking that if I keep going on like this then how will I be able to stay here. I felt very strange when I came here, but I did not know that such a hypothesis would have been made about me. I was a bit upset, but I was also satisfied that the eyes that was still piercing me like an arrow will not see me again in that way. And the credit goes to you only. I might have spoken a lot but I do not know how to beat around the bush. I am saying this to let you know that I am thankful to you." She finally said what she had come to him for.

She started good but gradually nervousness took over her.

She was literally blabbering when her thanking speech came to end.

Arihant smile and averted his eyes from her to look outside the window.

"If so, then I gladly accept your thank you. And in addition, you are always welcome." He said and started walking to his chair.

"I don't want to be welcomed by you anytime." She said instantly.

Her words meet him stop and turn again.

He didn't say anything but she understood that he was wanting her to speak more.

She looked down and took a deep breath.

"I want you to welcome me when I am in the need. I want you to welcome me when I am in dire need of that. Please don't be that merciful." She said while looking at him to show her sincerity.

He put his hands in pocket.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Thank you. Thank you so much for paving the path for me. But I want to walk alone on that path." She made it more clear.

"Alone?" He scoffed.

Is this woman really kidding me?

"Aren't you scared of being tripped?" He asks raising his left eyebrow.

"I am. I have always been scared of being tripped down. But this is the highest point of my life where I must learn to walk alone. I want to make my place here on my own. I know you are willing to help me, but I want my efforts to make more contribution than your help." Arti spoke her heart out this time.

"Are you tossing me aside?" Arihant felt a bit offended but he knew that's not what she meant actually.

"No, no, you're getting me wrong. That's not what I wanted to say. I shall definitely come to you for help, but only then when I need it. Even I don't want to be bothersome for you." She explained herself scared of being misunderstood.

He looked at her from head to toe.

Is she serious?

Does he think I can't be serious about it?

"Fine. Since you are intended to do it your way, then I won't interfere that much. But do you have some plan?"

It looks like some external teacher is taking her board's viva.

Her face got flushed.

"Plan?" She even blinked her eyes.

"Yes. You must have thought something before coming here. You must have some strategy to survive here. I would like to hear that out." He was really looking forward har to speak something which makes sense.

She didn't know what to do.

She didn't know what to say.

She instantly faked little laughter to make this situation a bit light.

"I don't have something such as plan. It's my workplace. All I need is to work hard. Isn't it?" She sounded like confirming it.

"Wouldn't your work hard going to effect due to peoples perception about you? If this is only what you have to say, then I think what I did has just gone in vain." He looked down pretending to be disappointed.

Did I just make him feel disappointed of me?

"It is not. I will definitely live up to your expectations." She tried her best to sound confident vigorously nodding her head.

He wanted to laugh but he didn't.

"I have no doubt on that. But I don't think so that people around you would leave any stone unturned to pull you down." He said being serious this time.

She couldn't understand this sudden change.

Hile again got close to her but not as much as he did earlier.

"Arti you are still not understanding the fragility of the moment. Surviving here isn't just about your hard work or your 100%. Do you think after what happened yesterday, they will spare you just like that? " He asked her sincerely.

His question made her wonder if she is really so much out of the box.

"It's not like I am on their hit list." She tried to say it with smile but failed.

"I'm sorry to burst this bubble, but you are. You are on their hit list." He blurt it to her.

He unintentionally made her nervous.

She knew what he said is right but she didn't want to accept it.

She still wants to be as ignorant as ever.

"Why would I be? What have I done wrong to them? What is my mistake to be on their hit list?" She looked down and ask these questions as if she is really mean it.

And it didn't take him long to understand it.

"Your intelligence is your biggest mistake." He said calmly.

She looks up to see him.

"You might find it a bit absurd, but you are a kind of threat to them."

"Threat?" She whispers.

She sneered a little.

"But why? How could a school pass out be a threat for people who have graduated from top and expensive colleges?" She wondered.

"That is most threatening to them. You are just a school pass out, yet you managed to beat the Topper of a very prestigious University. You are the reason of their insecurities."

His words made her go dumbstruck.

She didn't know what to think.

If this is what it is then how am I going to make it?

"Arti. I appreciate your thought of walking alone, but I doubt that it's something not in your favour." He grabbed her attention.

She was still in state of wondering about these new experiences which she never had in her life.

This is surely going to be a long conversation.

"Have a seat first." He asks her to sit on sofa.

She sat on single one and he on another.

She was still in state of gathering her thoughts.

Why is it becoming so difficult for me to even understand it?

Isn't it like it has always been?

I paid attention only to my studies when I wanted to grab first position. I never thought what other students were doing.

I got married when my parents ask to. I didn't bother about what other girls of my age were doing back then.

I always did what I wanted to without paying attention to unnecessary things.

It's simple isn't it?

Isn't it always work hard to become successful?

Why must I consider others perspective to survive?

How are they going to affect me?

Or are they already effecting me?

"I shall just come, do my work and leave. Why should I bother about if something isn't in my favour?" She said in low voice looking in other direction.

"Do you think it's as simple as it seems? There are several things that you can do alone, but there are most of the things which you can't. I have many annoying people in my office. I could have fired them, but I can't because I need them." He was nothing but just trying to be truthful to her.

She looks at him.

"Whenever you explain anything to me, why do I feel I am on some war? You make them sound very traumatic." She commented.

"That's because you have always lived a caged life. You don't know anything about this merciless world. Since I brought you here for some other purpose, then it becomes my duty to make you aware of these things." He said pouring water in glass from jug which was already capital there and placed it in front of her.

"For the first time in my life, awareness seems to be so scary." She said taking the glass in her hands and started drinking.

"Do you really think that being on best behaviour will get you through this? " He was not actually questioning her.

He was stating a fact more than asking something.

His statement made Arti eyes go wide and she immediately stopped drinking.

"Will it not?" She was so so surprised that her palms got tighten on the glass.

He stood up and walked to his table.

He turned and puts his left hand in pocket.

"Arti pay your attention.As your mentor, your boss, I am going to give you my first advice." His voice was loud.

"I am paying attention sir." She got attentive like a kg student.

"Learn to go with the changing trends." He said with a light smile.

But she didn't understand anything.

"Trends?" She asked scratching the back of her head.

"Yes." He started walking towards her.

"The trend isn't being harmonious or forgiving anymore. It's eradication and isolation. Eradicate the one who tries to uproot you. Isolate the one who tries to corner you. It's simple."

But his simple wasn't simple for her.

She has been listening to him very attentively but his words were too difficult for her.

She she blinked her eyes several times and looked away from him.

"You are again making it sound scary." She gulped hard.

"I knew it. You would find it scary. But people around you are trying to root you out and make you feel cornered. I'm not asking you to do the same, but." Arihant said while walking to his chair and sat on it.

"For God sake, don't try to be the former one either." He continued when he noticed her flustered face.

Is it because of my advice?

"I don't think I have a mind to grasp these heavy concepts." She tried to ignore what she heard while standing up.

"You surely have a very brilliant mind, but what you lack is a strong heart. Make your heart a bit stronger than everything will be easier for you." He again got busy on laptop.

It was becoming difficult for her to stay hair any longer.

"I shall keep your words in my mind." She said but she didn't hear him in reality.

"I'm looking forward to that." He murmured.

She could see he got busy.

That's very good.

"May I leave now, Sir?" She asked hoping him to permit her instantly.

"Yes, you may." He again murmured.

She walked out of his cabin but she wanted to run.
*******************
I Know it must be tiring for you to see them getting close in slow pace but I believe in love cooked in low heat.🤭🤭

I am keeping slow to make it more realistic, romantic and easy to connect to.💜💜💜💜

Bdw did it meet your expectations??🤔😁 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 2.9K 23
" Don't tell me you came here for agreement I had with your mother " he said angrily while looking at me. I just turned my face aside because of his...
75.2K 2.6K 37
" I love you " He said while smiling and coming towards me. I started to take back steps. My eyes is full of tears. I am shivering and scared to see...
57.8K 3.6K 56
Villain Of My Story! "STRIP!" As soon as he barged inside of the room, he said that to me. I turned around to look at him. There he was; standing w...
27.9K 2K 22
{Completed - #12 highest} I was walking on a path all alone at midnight. I was just wondering around, until I saw a guy in a hoodie. He was beating t...