No Solace (The Flames of Retr...

By inkysparrow

***Amby Awards Top Pick for Young Adult 2023*** ***Featured on Stories Undiscovered for September 2023*** ***... More

A list of the Aptitudes and what they do
A History of the War and the Cataclysm
The Nations of the Earth after the Cataclysm
Chapter One -Saint Atrize's Festival
Chapter 1.5 - Emily
Chapter Two - The Church of St. Perron Renaud
Chapter Three - The Lastender Estates
Chapter Four - Father's advice
Chapter Five - The Night Market
Chapter Six - In the Imperial Dungeon
Chapter Seven - Pirates
Chapter Eight -The Beltritian Port and the Doctor
Chapter Nine - Dr. Larimar
Chapter Ten - Meeting the Tavla
Chapter Eleven - The Deal
Chapter Thirteen - In the Arena
Chapter Fourteen - A heart in the abyss
Chapter Fifteen - The distances between belief and truth
Chapter Sixteen- The Best Laid Plans
Chapter Seventeen -The Oracle Matenli
Chapter Eighteen - Departure
Chapter Nineteen - On the way to Janesport
Chapter Twenty - Stratagem
Chapter Twenty-One - A sea of serpents
Chapter Twenty-Two - Revelations
Chapter Twenty-three - Mistakes were made
Chapter Twenty-four - Another Fine Mess
Chapter Twenty-Five - Onward to Sanfelton
Chapter Twenty-six -The Port of Sanfelton
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Kohl Sanfelton
Chapter Twenty-Eight- The Magic Tower
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Schemes in the Embassy
Chapter Thirty - A Ball to End All Balls
Chapter Thirty-One - Chevral Deming
Chapter Thirty-Two- The Lies We Keep
Chapter Thirty-Three - A Childhood Crush
Chapter Thirty-Four - An Unsavory Invitation
Chapter Thirty-Five - An Awkward Carriage Ride
Chapter Thirty-Six - An Uncomfortable Dinner
Chapter Thirty-Seven - The Seeds of Change and Rebellion
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Confessions
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Mata Hari doesn't live here.
Chapter Forty - New Opportunities
Chapter Forty-One - Bitter Tea
Chapter Forty-Two - The Flames of Retribution

Chapter Twelve - The Dance

73 11 67
By inkysparrow

My path to revenge was traveled wearing dancing shoes. 

I would have to perform a dance that was meant to symbolize the importance of the Frelan to the Tavla in front of many onlookers. 

The Frelan was the first woman created by Tav, and she became Tav's wife. Each Frelan was thus symbolically married to Tav himself. We'd already gone over the steps for an entire week, but I was uncomfortable. I hadn't realized it would be so... physical. 

The first step of the dance involved a series of twirls and dips. The twirls were performed to make me, the Frelan, look ethereal, as though I was floating instead of dancing, while the dips and twists were done to make me look as though I was one with the Tavla. 

When it came to the twirls, they were only done clockwise and after each twirl I was dipped and twisted flush with the Tavla in an undulating counterclockwise direction. I was not ready for this. This dancing was too intimate and I felt like the Tavla and I were doing something wrong. I kept trying to tell myself there was no harm, that I wasn't hurting anyone, but my thoughts kept agonizing over Merx and what I was having to do in order to clear my name and return to him. 

After the tenth time practicing, I tried to tell myself that it was worth it, but I always balked at the next part. It consisted of the Tavla bending me back into a long kiss which was supposed to give me confidence before I was left on stage to complete the last part of the dance, which was done by myself with a fan.

It didn't. Each time he tried to put his lips on mine, I would turn my head. 

The more I practiced, the less confident and more apologetic I felt. I was dizzy from the spinning, and the music gave me a pounding headache. After the fifteenth time practicing, I decided that was enough.

"Xīwàng, I don't think this is going to work. We've done nothing but practice this dance for an entire week and I'm still no closer to being believable. I know I have to kiss you, but..." I closed my eyes and grimaced then gave him a look of apology.

"Why don't we take a break," he said with a slight bow. "I can understand how hard this is. It is hard for me as well.

If it was hard for him, I couldn't tell. He seemed unflappable.

He walked over towards me and put a hand on my elbow.  Then he guided me to sit down at the edge of one of the gardens near the square where we were practicing. The sun shined bright on us, but the lavender was in full bloom, and it surrounded us with a comforting scent.

Sera and Perron discreetly left us alone. Then, I closed my eyes and rested my head against the bench we were sitting on.  This was stupid. I shouldn't have agreed to do this. It just felt like I was selfish and greedy, grabbing for my revenge with no thought of what innocent bystanders I might hurt. I hadn't thought it would only take a week for me to start feeling guilty.

"Maybe this isn't such a good idea. I am okay with being a spy, but I feel horrible at the idea of lying to your people and to Sera's parents."

Xīwàng glanced away from me. "I promise that it won't be forever." He took a sprig of lavender and handed it to me with a gentle smile. "It will only be as we promised, and nothing more."

I wished I could believe him, but I was all out of faith in people.

The Tavla swallowed a chuckle at my wry look. "I am sorry. I don't have the same morals you have, so I don't think the way you do.  But, perhaps I can help you get through all this. Let me ask you some questions, if you don't mind? I would like to better understand how your circumstances led you to my shores."

"Go right ahead." 

"Tell me about your life, starting from the time that you first started to hide your mage aptitude until the time you arrived in Beltrit.

My hands fisted in the fabric of my dress, and I looked away from Xīwàng.

"What's wrong? If you don't want to answer, I'm sorry."

I waved away his apology.  "I just really have no idea how to begin," I said. 

"Why don't we begin with your mother and father, and work from there."

I told him about my mother and father, who had no aptitudes, and their fears for me.  I regaled him of my father's architecture business, and his subsequent downfall because of Chevral. My rise up the ranks in the Library Force. Talking about the Library Force sent me down a rabbit trail of everything that I loved about being a Librarian. We were not just women and men that catalogued books and made sure that late borrowers paid their fees, no, we were adventurers that scoured the globe looking for lost knowledge. We were warriors that wrested that knowledge from our enemies, forgetting that I was speaking to our biggest enemy. I spoke in glowing terms of the ship I was to be Head Librarian over, the Denver. Then the light died from my eyes, and I shook my head as I told him of all the events that occurred after that, finally recounting my time with the pirates.

"So, my best day and my worst day was on the first day of the Saint Atrize festival. Saint Atrize, please help my soul." I ended my tale with a quick prayer.

Xīwàng had remained silent during the whole story, even when I'd run off down my rabbit trails. Servants had brought out lunch while I was halfway through it.  I wasn't sure if he was even listening, as he often closed his eyes. When I was done, he opened his eyes.

"You had no idea of why the charges that had been laid on you, is that right?" He took a sip of his peach juice and played with the rim of the glass.

I took note of how thin and smooth his hands were. They were prettier than mine, and I felt a sting of envy. My answer held a sharpness from my jealousy. "None at all."

Xīwàng stopped making the crystal ring and set his hands on his lap. "My father always said wickedness makes its perch in sick trees, and a healthy tree resists the blight of evil."

I nodded, "I've heard a similar proverb. What is your point?"

He raised his brows at my impatience, and I tilted my chin down in apology. Then he continued, "But it's also true that this world entices us with wants, vices, and temporary pleasures, which can overcome good intentions, and ultimately to lead us into guilt and wickedness. So, there might be some among those you know that have grown sick from those poisoned fruits."

I squinted at him, wanting to understand, but not used to the flowery way he spoke. Sanfeltonians were plain speakers. 

He looked disappointed that I didn't understand, and I struggled not to show my annoyance. With a slower voice, he explained more plainly, "With this in mind, if you wish to discover the culprit, find the ones that would have an advantage should they do the wrong. So, in your case, who would stand to gain if you were done away with?"

"I was nobody. I was not a noble, or a mage. I was a Librarian with a Seeker ability. That's all. I can't think of anyone." Chevral, maybe? He'd known what the prince had done, and had even arranged an escape of sorts, even if it was stupid...

"Everyone has a place in this world. No one is insignificant, and indeed, even the lowest gravedigger could have a person who burns with jealousy because the man has something that one wants. From your story, you were about to be named Head Librarian of the imperial library and made captain of The Denver?"

My heart sunk. "Yes, that's correct."

"And you'd just become engaged to one of the most powerful men in your country..."

I cringed as I began to see just how much I was overlooking. "Yes..."

"Would there be anyone that would want to hinder you from these two things?"

"I... there might be... but I can't see how they could have accomplished it. I was well liked on The Denver, and I had many friends. There was only my cousin who disliked me. We quarreled whenever we tried to have a conversation, so I avoided her."

"What is her name?"

"Darla Martin."

"What did she do on The Denver?"

"She was the receiver."

"And if you had become captain, would you have kept her on?"

I squirmed as I wrestled with the ugly truth. I had disliked Darla as much as she disliked me. "It's hard to work with someone who hates you. I might have sought to have her transferred to another Library."

"We are getting somewhere. Perhaps being transferred would not be in her best interest. She likely knew this about you.  Is there any possibility that she overheard you speaking with the Head Librarian Brightgarden?"

I thought back on that day. I was quite distraught, and not paying attention to my surroundings but there was one thing I recalled. "The cabin door was wide open. I do recall seeing Darla pass by. It's possible she overheard it."

"We have caught the scent... let's search further. Did any of your crew step foot on Janesport when you did your errands?"

"Nobody."

"What did you do with the letter?"

"I kept it on my person the whole time until it was taken from me when I was stripped and dressed in prison rags."

The Tavla took a bite of his sandwich and chewed it thoughtfully. After a moment he said, "So, then, that was when the prince found it."

"Yes, I suspect so."

"Let's speak of your engagement to Lord Mercury Lastender. Was there anyone that might be upset about you marrying him?"

"He had an agreement with another noble family that he should marry their daughter, Renata. She was rejected on the same day he proposed to me."

"Do you think she might have spoken to the prince about that letter?"

"No... Renata is someone who is more likely to poison my tea. There are many stories about her dangerous family."

"Then... it was Darla who betrayed you first, but Renata is from a dangerous family with means to ruin the lives of others."

I nodded as I had also come to the same conclusion. They could have equally arranged things to go wrong for me.

"Was Darla acquainted with Renata?"

"No... I don't think -- wait. Renata and Darla were together with Chevral at the night market."

"And what were they doing?"

"They were... they had charms on the table and were quite pleased about something. Chevral looked drunk. He was flirting with both ladies."

"Did you recognize the charms?"

With a quick exhale,  I thought back on that wretched night.  I tried to remember the color and shape of the charms, and realized one was oval shaped and pink -- a listening charm.

"One was a listening charm," I confirmed.

"That is how they did it. Darla had been using a listening charm to follow all of your conversation from the time she overheard Brightgarden speaking to you. She might well have planted another charm upon you while you went to Janesport to meet Madame Claire. It only takes a few other charms, and a clever mage to be able to alter such a listening device. They had given that to the magistrate and Renata gave it to the prince when she disappeared, since it impacted his family. "

I had never liked Darla, but I had never thought she would do something to hurt Papa. She had a grudging fondness for him even though she put on airs. Or, at least I thought she had.

Chevral had once again done something unspeakable to my father, and likely had hoped to appear as a shining knight when I was rescued.

And Renata, well... she, I understood. Merx was worth fighting for. 

Everything became clear, each part of their betrayal and how clever they'd been. The memories smacked me with the force of a boulder against my face. I bent over on the bench and struggled with my feelings. Had it not been for my librarian training, this new thing would have sent me over. But no, I was not going to be a coward and let them win. I could do this thing and make sure they all paid for my dear Papa's death.

As I took this all in, I realized what Xīwàng was doing. He'd taken this time to remind me of my reasons for doing this. It was manipulative, but I understood. He wanted his own retribution and needed me. Finally, I stood, allowing him to manipulate me.  "I'm ready to continue."

Xīwàng stood as well and took my hands. We completed the first twirl, then the second. He grabbed me around the waist then dipped me.  I twisted my body flush to him. 

His expression smoldered with what I thought was the same vengeance that set me ablaze.

His lips crashed down upon mine, and I squeezed my eyes shut, and turned my head.

"Okay, let's try again." Xīwàng sounded quite flappable at that moment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 218 34
Matilda Huston is a 25 years old woman with a painful past, living alone and escaping from her abusive past. She moved to Canada a few months back an...
67.3K 939 37
(hi! it's been a while since I wrote this book, probably like 4 years, and I wanted to rewrite it and was hoping you, guys, could leave some suggesti...
135K 6.7K 40
A Featured Wattpad Romance, Wattpad New Adult, and Wattpad Psychological Novel (triggering romance) **November 3, 2019: 1st place Winner of romance c...
29.6K 3.2K 57
DualPOV ♥︎ After eleven years of no contact, fate thrusts ex-lovers Ren and Gio back together. Their chemistry is immediate, but she thinks she's br...