the choice • charlie conway

By iwritewhenimboredlol

Sadie Ross - the best friend everyone wants. Smart, witty, beautiful, and kind, with a heart of pure gold. C... More

characters
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty five
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty eight
chapter twenty nine
chapter thirty
chapter thirty one
chapter thirty two
a/n

chapter twenty seven

421 5 10
By iwritewhenimboredlol

charlie

This could be the most important game of my career.

Well, maybe the second most important. If I ranked this second, it would only be behind the gold medal game at the Goodwill Games. That game was crazy.

I haven't seen Sadie much since she's been home, but that's partly my fault. I've been so busy preparing for this game, and I haven't been free. Besides, Orion's been making practice a living hell. I know he wants this as bad as we do, but I'm afraid I won't even be able to skate later with how much my legs hurt.

Today needs to be perfect. I'm up bright and early at five a.m., sprinting into the bathroom before Adam or Guy could get there. I brush my teeth, splash some water on my face, and try to make my hair look somewhat decent. Afterwards, I put on my suit and grab all of my homework that's scattered across my desk, shoving it into my backpack as quickly as I can.

Not a bad start to the day if you're asking me.

Adam is ready a few minutes later, but Guy is still sound asleep. How this kid didn't wake up to my insanely loud alarm baffles me. I should take a picture of this and send it to Sadie as proof that I'm not the one who "sleeps like the dead".

Adam and I snicker at each other before looking at Guy. His hair is all over the place, his lips are slightly parted, his cheeks are flushed, and he's cuddling his pillow like it's Connie. Believe me, he looks ridiculous right now.

I can't help myself and take a quick picture, sending it to the group chat just for fun. As I'm doing this, Adam goes over and gently shakes him. He doesn't move at all. Adam shakes him again, and Guy still doesn't move. After shaking him a third time with no result, I walk over, yank the pillow that he was sleeping on from under him, and whack him over the head with it. "Wake up idiot. We have to leave in ten."

Guy glares at me from his bed, obviously annoyed that I woke him up. "Screw you Conway, I was sleeping."

"What's more important dude, sleep or this game?" I counter.

He sits there and contemplates it for a second before huffing dramatically and standing up. "I'm mad at you Charlie. That hurt."

"Don't be a sissy." I retort, and I hear Adam attempting to not laugh from behind me. "I didn't even hit you that hard."

Instead of responding, he rolls his eyes at me and disappears into the bathroom. I turn and look back at Adam, who bursts out laughing.

"Dude," he's able to say through his laughs. "You hit him so hard, I almost blew it right then and there."

Guy comes out a few minutes later, all dressed and still looking like he wants to kill me. Maybe I really did hit him harder than I thought. I didn't realize pillows hurt that bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every single nerve in my body is on overdrive. I have been dreaming of this game for almost my entire life. I never ever thought that I would be good enough to play in school, let alone be in a state final game.

The bus ride to the UM arena is very tense. It's obvious that a lot is riding on this game. No one wants the streak to end, and I don't want to be the captain who is responsible for that.

Ironically enough, we're playing the Blake Bears. I feel like I've come full circle. My first ever JV game to my final varsity game... of this season at least.

It's also so funny to me that we always end up playing the same school that the girls soccer team plays. I don't know if that's on purpose or purely coincidental, but I've always found it funny.

When we pull into the rink parking lot, I almost throw up from nerves. Adam can clearly see how nervous I am, and he ruffles my hair playfully. "Relax Conway. We have absolutely nothing to worry about."

I snicker. "Easy for you to say, Mr. Allstar Athlete. If only the rest of us were as talented as you."

"And don't forget hot." he responds with a wink.

"Duh." I add onto my dramatics by pretending to fan my face, which makes us both laugh.

Even though mine and Adam's dramatics are able to calm my nerves for a little bit, they're back at an all time high as it registers that I'm walking into the locker room to play in a state final.

I know I'm being repetitive with talking about this game, but I just can't believe I'm really here. I feel like it's sunk in, but at the same time it hasn't.

Putting on my gear almost gives me a feeling of nostalgia, which makes me even more nervous. I'm not quitting hockey anytime soon, so why am I reminiscing on the simple things that I've been doing for the past six years?

I expect Orion to give us some huge pregame speech, but he shocks me by only saying one single sentence.

"Go get 'em guys."

The crowd is deafening as we take the ice, and I immediately spot the girls as I start to take my laps. They're all in matching outfits, which was obviously planned. So that's why they needed our letterman jackets.

Warmups go by quicker than I anticipate, and I barely have time to blink before the starting lineups are taking the ice. I turn to Averman, who looks scarily confident. "If I throw up, I'm using your helmet as my bucket."

"What? Why me?" he whines. "Use anyone's but mine."

I shrug. "Sorry Averman, I might have to do what I have to do."

Teddy, who's sitting on the other side of me, snickers as Averman whines.

"It's okay Averman." Mason pipes up, peeking his head out so he can be seen from the right side of Teddy. "I'm sure he'll be fine."

"Speaking of you..." I start, turning around to look at Mason. "You finally asked your freshman out! What changed your mind?"

He shrugs and I can see the blush creep into his cheeks even from under his helmet. "I had a few drinks and I felt brave, so I kissed her. After that I just decided to go for it."

"I'm proud of you man." I say with an approving nod, and I watch as Teddy smirks. Something tells me that Mason has no idea what Teddy said to Blayke.

Orion snaps me out of my conversation, because he's calling my line onto the ice. I hop over the boards and start racing for the puck, which has broken free from a scramble in our defensive zone. I have a clear breakaway, and I decide to do my favorite... the triple deke.

Do you really think I wouldn't try it in the final game?

I deke and shoot, watching as the puck sails over the goalie into the net.

Now that's what I'm talking about.

The crowd goes nuts and all of my teammates skate up to me and jump into the group, all of them patting my head and shoulders before we skate to the bench to give them high fives.

The first ends with us leading 1-0, and we lead 3-0 after the second, with goals from both Mason and Teddy. I have a great feeling about this.

The locker room is all smiles during the second intermission, and we skate out for the third feeling more confident than ever.

However, Blake has other plans.

Two quick goals from them put them right back into the game, sending me and the rest of the team into panic mode. There's no way we're going to blow another game to them. We can't.

As the time runs down, everyone is doing everything they can to block Blake from shooting. Even after Blake pulls their goalie which gives them a six-on-five, Caiden and Drew are throwing their bodies in front of shots to block them while Adam and I are trying to clear any puck that comes near us.

When I hear the final buzzer go off, it takes a second to register that we've won. When it sinks in, I immediately throw both my helmet and gloves off, skating over to Julie and tackling her in a hug.

"You're amazing!" I shout, which makes her hug me even tighter.

Our teammates join the dog pile, and everyone from the crowd starts piling onto the ice. Friends, family, you name it. Everyone is here.

I first find my mom and give her the biggest hug I possibly can. After her, I hug Orion, Bombay, who actually made the drive out to see us, and all of my teammates. Finally, I find Sadie.

She's standing with the rest of the girls, and practically jumps when I skate behind her and bury her in a hug. I pick her up and spin her around, letting every second sink in.

I missed this. And her.

I finally put her down, but I still don't let go from the hug. "We did it Sade. We actually did it."

"I'm so proud of you Charlie. I knew you could do it." she whispers into me. If it was possible to stay in this hug forever, I would. I don't ever want to let go.

When I finally do let go, she grabs my hand and looks me dead in the eyes. "Can we talk? There's something I really need to tell you."

Oh no.

"Yeah..." my voice trails off. "What's up?"

"Well," she starts, and and I can see how visibly nervous she looks.

"Sadie, what's going on?" I ask, as I feel my stomach slowly start to sink.

She takes a deep breath and looks up at me. I quickly notice the tears that are starting to form in her eyes, and I automatically start to think the impossible happened.

"What did you do Sadie?" I ask in a low voice.

"Nothing Charlie, I promise!" she says instantly. "But I met someone over Thanksgiving break, and I just felt like I should-"

I don't even let her finish her sentence, because I turn around and skate away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.6K 665 17
FROM STRANGERS TO FRIENDS Kendall Conway's world revolves around 3 things. Those 3 things being family, friends, and hockey. Her and her twin brother...
103K 1.2K 27
❝𝖨 𝖿𝖾𝗅𝗅 𝖿𝗈𝗋 𝗁𝗂𝗆, 𝖢𝗈𝗇𝗇𝗂𝖾. 𝖨 𝖿𝖾𝗅𝗅 𝗁𝖺𝗋𝖽 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖿𝖺𝗌𝗍 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖨 𝖼𝖺𝗇'𝗍 𝖼𝗈𝗇𝗍𝗋𝗈𝗅 𝗂𝗍.❞ -- 𝙔/𝙉 𝙋𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙢𝙖𝙣 𝙞𝙨...
47.2K 746 21
"We've got a game on Thursday if you want to come." He told her. "I'd like to, but I have football to cheer at. I'm sorry." She walked over to him an...
52.1K 867 30
FRIENDS INTO LOVERS 🎵 𝚒 𝚘𝚗𝚕𝚢 𝚜𝚎𝚎 𝚑𝚒𝚖 𝚊𝚜 𝚊 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍... 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚒𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚕𝚒𝚎 𝚒 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚊𝚒𝚍🎵 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Kendall C...