It's Just Ann

By BelWatson

Let's get the facts straight. I am no heroine and I will never bring pride to my family. I am what you could... More

Before Reading!
Prologue: Misplaced Fairy-Tale
Chapter 1 - Meetings
Chapter 2 - Book Shopping
Chapter 3 - Who Could Be
Chapter 4 - Script
Chapter 5 - Advices
Chapter 6 - Casting
Chapter 7 - Last Details
Chapter 8 - Look Down On Me
Chapter 9 - Humiliation
Chapter 10 - Fight Back
Chapter 11 - Awkward
Sick leave
Author's Note
Chapter 13 - Introvert
Chapter 14 - Outing
Excuses
Chapter 15 - Background
Chapter 16 - Friends
Update
Chapter 17 - Cherry Blossoms
Chapter 18 - Overrated
Chapter 19 - Moving On
Chapter 20 - Back Home
Chapter 21 - Soundtrack
Chaptet 22 - Love Story
chapter 23 - Friends Again
Chapter 24 - Joan Maddox
Chapter 25 - Earthquake
Chapter 26 - Seducing
Chapter 27 - Rejection
Chapter 28 - Sweet Friends
apologies!
Chapter 29 - Masochist Heart
Chapter 30 - My Friend Charlie
Chapter 31 - Tales of a Date
Chapter 32 - Happy Birthday
Chapter 33 - Unfair
Chapter 34 - Drunk Habits
Chapter 35 - I'm Sorry
Chapter 36 - Counterattack
Chapter 37 - Worth It
Chapter 38 - Pride
Chapter 39 - Confusing
Chapter 40 - Ganbarimasu
Epilogue - Earned Happy Ending

Chapter 12 - Skills

21.8K 1.8K 226
By BelWatson

Chapter Glossary

Onigiri: Japanese typical food, made of rice, typically in a triangle shape.

Gambare: "good luck" / "work hard"

-:-:-

I heave a deep sigh as I watch the shooting, especially as I watch Gareth's acting. It still amazes me how he gets into character in a matter of seconds, without having to concentrate or a ritual. It's just in a blink of an eye and he does it perfectly.

How can someone be that talented?

And it's not only how fast and well he gets into character, it's also that he gets out as easily. I know some method actors that get so into the character that they can't just get out and actually get kind of messed up even after the shooting is done. But with Gareth is completely different. He becomes Sasha and then goes back to Gareth before you can say onigiri and if it weren't because I see it happen I wouldn't believe it's possible. And even when I see it I still have my doubts.

The scene they are shooting now it's an uplifting one where Sasha is trying to cheer Lana up and distract her from the fact a resistance really exists, so he is showing all his charms and playful personality, taunting her with his own ability, making flowers grow and the earth beneath her feet to shake in a controlled way just to startle her a little, playing with her. He is full smiles and chuckles, jumping from one place to the other and the sight is exactly how I envisioned it when I read the book.

After a few days watching them actually acting the parts I've grown used to Zoe playing Lana to the point I only see her as the character. I hope it's the same for the audience. It's a good thing she's the focus of the first film as like that we can concentrate on promoting her image, making the readers get used to seeing Zoe Miller as Lana. If we do this properly when promoting the film, then by the time it premieres the audience will be more keen to her and it won't be that shocking.

But even if I'm used by now to Zoe as Lana, she is still a rookie and she makes the most mistakes. It's not that terrible and I assume it's mostly because she is nervous and under too much pressure, but she still messes up her lines quite often or loses her concentration, especially when she's acting with Gareth. Maybe he intimidates hers. I know that if I were acting I would be very nervous to work with the Ice Prince, especially if I see the change from so close.

She once again forgets makes a mistake when she is acting and it's the fifth time already. Needless to say how annoyed Jerry is by now or anyone else, but Gareth keeps his cool. In fact, he is too cool and probably that freaks Zoe even more because he doesn't even show a little bit of annoyance. When she messes up, he just stops moving, loses the smile and it's back to the Ice Prince.

"Argh, okay. Let's take five, everyone!" the director shouts. "Zoe, do it right next time. Stop messing around!"

"I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry," Zoe apologises and she looks so miserable right now that I feel really bad for her. I can't even be annoyed although it's really her fault we have to keep shooting the very same scene. "Gareth, I'm sorry. I don't know why I can't remember the lines and stage directions properly today."

Gareth just shrugs and turns around to go where his manager is waiting with a water bottle and a towel. One of the makeup artists is there, too, making sure to retouch his makeup, especially the eye contacts. He really looks good with Earth Bound eyes.

Zoe crouches down, completely defeated after messing it up again and she doesn't move. The makeup artist has to go to her to make sure she's all right. She probably thinks Gareth hates her and believes she's just a useless model trying to be an actress. I know I would think that if I saw him treating me like that. God, I'm tempted to think that he really doesn't regard her enough to even bother to be annoyed. When he is the Ice Prince he looks so arrogant and unapproachable that I feel tempted to hate him, but I have a gut feeling that tells me it's not as simple as that and that if I believed that I would be just misjudging him. Besides, I've seen a nice and kind of awkward side of him.

I decide to go see how Zoe is doing, maybe she just needs people to encourage her.

"Are you okay?" I ask, crouching down next to her. She looks at me, surprised to see me by her side. I can notice her eyes are teary and I really feel sorry for her. She looks so humiliated.

"Gareth hates me. Everyone does, but mostly him. I'm ruining this," she blurts out, her voice trembling.

Yes, I was right. She is under a lot of pressure, I can sense it in her voice and see the desperation in her face and the fear in her eyes.

"He doesn't. He is just... he is..." I can't really provide an accurate adjective but Zoe keeps watching me with pleading eyes, begging me to reassure her. "Peculiar. But I'm sure he isn't even mad at you. Don' stress over it, try to relax. I was there during your audition and you really captured Lana. You've read the books, you know her. You like her, right?" I ask and she nods. "Then just enjoy being her. If you forget the line, just think of what Lana would do and maybe you won't say what's scripted but something equally accurate. Try to think of owning the character and not just playing the role. What do you think?"

She looks at me with a hesitant expression but then, slowly, she gives me a nod.

"You are as new as I am on this, but at some point everyone is new. We just have to work hard and do our best to learn and improve every day. We won't accomplish that without making mistakes from time to time, right? It is natural, just make sure to improve from every mistake," I say, patting her back softly and this time she gives me a smile that I reply.

"Thank you," she says.

"Gambare," I tell her next and her confused expression replaces the smile. "It means good luck or work hard. I'm just cheering on you in Japanese," I explain and her lips part forming an O.

"Oh... okay. How do you say thank you in Japanese then?" she asks and that makes me smile brightly.

"Arigato," I reply and she says it after me, with an accent of course, but understandable enough.

I rise to my feet again and then hold up my hand for her, to help her and she accepts it. Once we are both standing and face to face, her makeup artist can finally work on her. I can see her expression is more determined this time and I have a feeling she'll do it perfectly now. And that thought makes me feel very satisfied with myself.

I turn and look around, feeling proud of myself but then I notice Gareth's eyes on me, with a different expression. I wouldn't dare to say amused, I think it's more like a curious one. Anyhow, he is watching me differently as he watches everyone else and I tentatively give him a smile and thumb-up. He just nods, almost imperceptibly but it's there, I know I saw it.

Soon the director is shouting action to start the scene again and in a second, the cold Gareth Maddox disappears, that stoic and detached expression vanishes and when he opens his eyes again after blinking these look bright and full of live, warm and inviting and his smile makes me feel all tingly inside. I'm once again struck by the force of his skills and how effortless he makes it look.

"Leave it to me," he says in a happy tone, his whole body language caring. "I bet I'll make you forget everything you've learnt for ten full minutes," he says, holding up his hand for her. "I'll get you smiling in less than a minute. I promise."

"I'm not sure," Zoe replies, hesitantly but still taking his hand. "It's all... so much and I need to think about it and-"

"You took the hand. You agreed. No buts!" he cuts her of, smiling mischievously and pulling her with him.

I smile as I see how the scene takes shape again, how he makes her laugh and forget her new worries. They play and soon she's laughing and doing everything he tells her. It's a lovely scene, especially when he drops her and she goes all angry on him and even punching him. It's full of laughter and basically perfect. Zoe gets it all right and so does Gareth, although he rarely makes a mistake.

"Cut! Perfect, well done, everyone," Jerry finally cries and as Zoe bursts in a wide and happy smile, Gareth leaves Sasha behind and is back to the Ice Prince.

Zoe looks at me and gives me a smile full of gratitude, so I give her a thumb-up and mouth to her a well-done because she indeed did well.

"That boy is like an acting machine, I swear," Cece says and I gasp because I didn't notice when he arrived next to me,

"Blimey, you scared me! When did you get here?"

"When you were drooling over Machine Boy over there," he explains, pointing with his chin to Gareth who is once again heading to his manager as the crew gets ready for the next scene.

"I wasn't drooling and don't call him Machine Boy," I correct him and Cece looks at me suspiciously. "I was just mesmerised. His talent impresses me. Don't tell me it doesn't do that to you, too," I dare him and he shrugs.

"I said it, he's like an acting machine. And he gets activated when he hears action and turned off when he hears cut!. I wonder what happens if you just randomly shout that at him. Maybe he's conditioned, you know?" Cece rambles and I chuckle before I hook my arm in his and start walking away from the set.

"I think thats just a wee bit farfetched. Just a wee bit," I say, putting my index and thumb almost together to express how little I mean, although I'm being completely sarcastic and Cece doesn't miss that.

"No wonder he is called Ice Prince, though. Have you seen him? I mean, besides what he's talked to you I haven't seen or heard of him talking to anyone else but his manager. He doesn't even regard the other actors when they aren't shooting," Cece comments as we keep walking, almost in a secretive tone. Is this gossiping? "Rumour has it that he's just a pompous arrogant stuck-up celebrity. Everyone says that fame got to his head."

I lose my smile when I hear that, feeling uneasy at finding out the opinion of others on Gareth.

"I know the media loves him, probably because he is this toy they can't figure out yet, but I'm sure everyone that's worked with him hates him. Probably a combination between jealousy and his attitude," Cece continues.

I sigh. "I don't think he's that terrible," I mutter and Cece stops.

"That's because you're biased and you have a celebrity crush on him, but he is quite a jerk to everyone, isn't he?"

I know that's what it seems and I don't know how to explain that I feel it's not just as simple as that. I don't even have more evidence. He's been nice to me but we've talked twice only and very shortly and it wasn't like he was the nicest person around, it was mostly awkward. Cece knows about it so he is aware of it, yet I think he also believes what everyone says. I can't blame him, that's the most natural thing to believe in considering the way he acts.

"Still, I don't think he's just an arrogant jerk. And even if he is, no one can deny he is talented," I add and Cece nods.

"True that, love. I swear I love him as Sasha and if I didn't have my man already I would totally go after him, but then when that Jerk of a director shouts cut, all my crush is gone," Cece explains and I chuckle.

"Sasha is a lovable character. He's my favourite in the books and Gareth is making him justice," I comment, feeling how the corners of my lips tug in a smile.

"Uh, there she goes, drooling over her crush again," he teases me, bumping shoulders with me, a bit too roughly so I almost lose my footing and he has to help me back. "Maybe you should try to uncover the Ice Prince's secret and why he is such a diva," Cece suggests next and I roll my eyes.

"Yeah right, I'm totally gonna do that," is my reply but a part of me would really like to find that out, to understand him better and be able to say for sure he is not what he seems.

Can I do that?

__________________________________________________________________

Did you like it? I hope so. Let me know on your comments! Also, I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to update on Friday, but I'll try okay? I might be out of town.

Dedication for best comment to @Kstylesssssss

Bel, xx

NU: Most likely on Friday

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

293K 8.4K 47
A girl that is their ideal. A girl that makes their hearts beat faster. A girl that is perfect in their eyes. That girl is you. "No, I d-did not, nan...
432 22 18
...Ongoing... March, 2024 "Spring brings hope of love in a person's life." When I close my eyes, these words still echo in ears. I remember them as i...
175 0 41
It's moments like these that make me feel like my soul is entangled with his. It feels like all of the broken pieces of me turned out to be the missi...
367 61 17
I didn't know a meeting could change all my perspective of life. It's like I'm stuck in a romance kind of movie. Everything is PERFECT. But I'm afrai...