sins of my youth. // Billy Ha...

By alias_b

Smut/Enemies to Lovers ***It was common knowledge that Billy Hargrove hated Hawkins. Hated Cherry Lane. Even... More

000 ➶ Welcome Info
001 ➶ Fast Times
002 ➶ A Million Dead Stars
003 ➶ To The Devil
004 ➶ No Day But Today
005 ➶ Skirt Safari
006 ➶ Hard Candy
007 ➶ One Bad Kiss Constellation
008 ➶ Because My Calendar Is Open
009 ➶ Everything Is Blue
010 ➶ A Little More Sin
011 ➶ My Heart Burns There, Too
012 ➶ Cupid And Psyche
013 ➶ Almost Paradise
015 ➶ Fires Within Fires
016 ➶ The Night Has A Thousand Eyes...
017 ➶ Heart-Shaped Shadow Box
018 ➶ The Neon Demon
019 ➶ One Caress
020 ➶ Rose Tint My World
021 ➶ Days In The Sun
022 ➶ Rust and Stardust
023 ➶ Cough Syrup
024 ➶ Tyger Tyger, Burning Bright
025 ➶ Thank You and Goodnight!
026 ➶ She's So Lucky, She's a Star
027 ➶ Just My Type: Bonus Flashback
028 ➶ A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes
029 ➶ Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)
030 ➶ An Awfully Big Adventure
Bonus One Shot ➶ Angel Cake

014 ➶ Such Sweet Sorrow

695 20 18
By alias_b

A/N: Thanks for waiting!! Billy & Evie have a quiet morning after the party. Start to face the reality of what they have. Friends reconnect. Enjoy the chapter!! TW: Brock's aggressive drunk behavior. Flashes of past trauma and Pica mentions. Some heavy petting. **Let me know if you're enjoying, thanks!

** ** ** 

   Evie finally had him.

For the first time, she was the one gone from the bed as Billy opened his eyes.

One hand felt for her and touched the wall. Dead air where the warmth used to be. Frowned because he wasn't able to bury his nose in endless brown curls to inhale sweet amber.

Billy surged up and heard the shower running. Evie singing unabashedly over it like no one was in the house. Something he couldn't place on the rock and blues end. Bigger than he was used to hearing from her. Sultry even. Lungs vibrating to handle the smooth sound that was ever-growing.

"Ah oh, smokestack lightnin..." She echoed out against the rush of water. "Oh..."

Billy pictured her hips swaying about as she washed her hair. Suds and curls slick over her shoulders. Smoke fogging. Huge notes he didn't know she could handle.

"Whoa-oh, tell me, baby..."

Fuck, he was hard.

"Where did ya stay last night?"

A heave followed before he got out of bed. Aching.

"Why don't ya hear me cryin'?"

Trying not to picture her body slick against his under the pounding of hot water. Droplets falling over her lips and eyelashes. The notes she reverberated that sounded like moans. Fingers digging into warm flesh.

Billy had to stop it for his own sanity. Three pounds on the door had her skidding against a bath mat.

Record scratch.

"What!" Evie blushed deep maroon because the show was not for him.

"Play me some Def Leppard, Angel!" Billy echoed back. "Also, I gotta take a leak." It was satisfying to hear the loud huff follow.

"My mom's bathroom is free in her bedroom."

"Yeah, I try to avoid parent's personal rooms when I'm at a girl's house. If you can believe it."

"I don't. But, I won't dare ask why. I'm just finishing up...and I'm not your personal jukebox!" Evie tilted her head back under the spray.

"We'll see about that, let me in there to press some buttons. I'm a pro." Billy got lower and playfully jiggled the handle as the water shut off. Both of them acting their usual combative selves with each other.

"Keep dreaming, William." Sarcasm made him feel right at home.

"Believe me, I will, Evangeline." Billy stepped out when the door opened. Steam followed Evie scrunching her curls into a towel. Covered in a deep purple bathrobe that drowned her dewy body. Clean and still blushing, tying it tighter at the sight of him there looking positively messy and stunning.

Ocean eyes sparked without shame.

"Look at you all glowing and wet. Are you...double knotting that because I'm here?" He teased, getting close so one finger could creep under the tie. A tug had Evie's body flush into his. Heat radiating. Damp ringlets dripping down.

"Yes." The reply was instant. "I'm Billy-proofed now."

"You couldn't Billy-proof yourself if you tried." Towering, her slunk in toward Evie's unamused expression. Earned himself a wet hair towel tossed over his head. Cackles erupted.

"All yours." Evie hurried around him and shut her bedroom door to get changed. Threw a plain skirt on to tuck a shirt into it. No plans to leave the house or see Heather.

Heather.

Evie eyed her bookcase of treats. Plucked up a gemstone and didn't want anything else. Wanted to struggle and feel it force down. All the random pangs in her stomach. It gnawed. She thought of choking. Of Billy finding her.

Slowly, she tapped it back down. Tried to just breathe through it before knuckles rapped the door again.

"You have my pants." Came the voice. Evie broke to laugh.

"Yeah, yeah." She clicked the lock and let him in. No makeup and damp curls cascading all over her shoulders. "I'm starving. Breakfast? I can make...toast sorta."

"That tone really convinces me. I saw a perfectly good waffle iron in there." Billy rubbed his shoulder and caught her looking again. A beat before he explained. "Dad had an empty bottle in his hand when he swung. Busted the damn thing on me, okay? It's ugly, don't worry about it."

She gasped, steering toward him.

"Did it cut you? He could have broken it on your head or-"

"Lucky break." Billy joked, rolling his arm a little before he passed her to snatch his jeans up and put them back on. "He missed my face. I can handle it. Just, let me worry about it, alright? I hate to see your eyes get all huge at me." Blue yawned and hopped off the bed to follow him before Evie went too.

"It frightens me more that you're so...causal." She spoke lighter, washing out Blue's dishes to fill them. Meows followed and Billy softened.

"I make a good breakfast, you want to help me out here?" Bright eyes flashed over his shoulder.

"We've used this thing like once." Evie chuckled. "Mix is above your head. I'll get a bowl." She clicked around to find one and set it out.

"I don't want to talk about my dad when I'm with you." Billy decided, eyes on the window above the sink. He tried to numb. "Okay? Evie, I know you hear things. I need you to pretend you don't. For me. Just..."

Broad hands settled on the counter. Submissive. Vulnerable. He didn't turn to see her.

"I'm allowed to worry still." She pointed. "But, I'll give you...space."

"Fair." He seemed the type to leapfrog the subject either way. Evie didn't want him to run. So she just stared at the lines of his back shifting.

Odd to see him so domestic. All velvet and sleepy. Making breakfast. Evie wondered about putting her arms around him. Kissing his cheek. Dragging him back into bed. Rolling around under cotton sheets.

Her head shook. No. No. No.

Billy loaded the hot iron with thick batter and clamped it shut. A hiss tapered off. The sound snapped her back.

"Hope you're taking notes."

"Definitely." She chuckled. Figuring he spent a lot of time cooking for himself growing up. Evie stepped up next to him and licked her lips. Gathered the will to say it. "Hey, I, uh...like hanging out with you."

Billy's brow rose. Sly while he bit his tongue. Head tilting to boast.

"Getting all mushy on me, Angel. Look at you melting between my fingers." He didn't know the half of it. Lashes batted at her so Evie rolled her eyes.

"I regret saying it alrea-mmff. " She had her chin cupped to angle it so their lips could collide. Palm sliding to her neck, a thumb drew a circle into flesh.

Evie drew out.

"Did you use my toothbrush? I taste mint."

"Just the mouthwash." Billy laughed at her, pecking between words. "I'm not an animal."

"Debatable." Evie's hand went behind his neck to bring him back down. Tongue and teeth. Billy actually moaned. Pressed her back into the counter before she pulled out. "You're gonna burn it."

"Shit." Billy jerked away to save the first waffle just in time before adding another. "Only care so I can impress you."

"Sure." Evie droned. They stood there in silence. Shared one space to make a warm breakfast. Peaceful and smelling of sweet batter. Warm and easy. Almost too easy. Eyes flicking to each other and away between steaming pulses.

"Syrup." Evie strained to reach it and Billy brought two plates to the table.

"You gonna let me cook for you again?" He waited for her to take a bite. Humming blissfully.

"Oh, my god," Evie cut another piece. "Okay, I'll give you this. You're full of surprises, too. Billy Hargrove can cook. He writes stories he won't share in school and still gets not half bad grades. And he's the fucking Keg King."

"I think you finally find me interesting." Billy folded a huge piece in half and swallowed whole. Syrup dripping from his lips to be licked.

"Ugh, I-" They froze when the phone rang in Evie's room. Frowning, she cut her food with more ire. Billy shot her a look between bites. "I already know it's Heather."

"She's gonna get to you eventually," Billy noted, plate empty. Evie left a sliver out of habit and caught him eyeing it before she slid it to him wordlessly. Wondered what his eating habits at home were. He stabbed it with his fork and swallowed.

"I know. I just," Evie searched, "I can't right now." With some haste, she got up and took the plates away to wash them. Scrubbing harder than necessary as Billy came into the kitchen. Felt his eyes blare. "Hey, come over here."

Billy crossed to her at the sink. Watched Evie turn to grip the counter when he blatantly invaded her space.

"This close?" He winked.

"Just," Evie's breath hitcher sharper as she stood tall to see his eyes, "don't move for a second."

Fingertips drew up the hair on his forearms. The veins that pulsed. Danced over his collar gently, felt the heat of him through his tee. Billy just watched with his usual intensity. Evie avoided his eyes and touched him. Delicate caresses that rocked his soul apart.

One palm cupped the back of his head. Surged into bedhead curls. Eyes lifting to burn his. Billy gave this wanting, little sound. Leaned in for a taste, but she evaded him. Just to see his eyes cloud. Massaged his neck and pulled him down for a gentler kiss. Pushed her tongue out to taste him first. Sticky sweet maple. Earned another whine.

Billy inhaled against her. Let Evie have some control and worked to earn it back. Made another breathy sound before he palmed her bottom. Grinding into Evie until he was picking her up to set her on the counter.

A squeal caught up her throat. She felt his muscles bulge and strain but he did it like she was nothing. Shock etched before Evie was reeling out to dart her eyes all over his expression.

"Told ya." He chuckled, pressing in between Evie's legs. Fingers tucked a blond curl aside before her voice stopped another oncoming kiss.

"Are we just going to keep doing this until one of us cracks?"

"Jesus Christ, Evie, we tongue fucked in the middle of the street. During a fight." Blue eyes glinted. "That was already the crack."

"I'm just thinking about...after." She searched for more words and none came.

"Too young to worry about the after." Billy leaned back to see her. "I think you want to feel good now and..." He leaned in closer, fingers dancing down her front. "I wanna be the person making you feel good. Pretty simple. Crystal clear. Yes?"

"Y-Yes." That hot iron hand slipped under her skirt. Billy ghosted their lips and heard Evie shiver at his touch. Sinful fingertips trailing up her inner thigh. Dangerously close. Admiring her unfurling.

Too pretty when lust blushed her cheeks that obscene red. Full lips opened. No sound came. She sunk into him totally. Stunning.

Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon.

"I just don't think you've had the right people making you feel so good, Evie." Billy's voice dipped to a baritone that always turned her to putty. "And the things I'd like to do to you. Hm."

Lips touched the shell of her ear. Left little kisses that lingered in a uniform trail. Arms tightened around him. Felt his finger draw up the hem of her panties. Readied to curl under the fabric.

He leaned out for permission. For her to ask him for more because she wanted him just as bad. Billy had to hear her say it. The craving itched him deep in his stomach.

Evie wiggled in place and then she heard it when they locked eyes again. The unmistakable click of baby pink platform heels. Never had the damn sound filled her with such dread.

"Fuck." They scrambled away from the counter. Lungs sputtering until Billy bumped into Evie in the dining room between the kitchen and living space. Craning to see the front door. Keys jiggled the lock. "My mother."

"Hey!" Billy tripped as Evie pressed him out, both knowing they wouldn't make it to her room.

"Under the table, I'm not letting her find out about..." The word died. Us. Billy actually laughed on his way under the table, hiding within the embroidered cloth. Evie sprang to attention holding her breath as Mona burst in. Fighting to get her key out.

"Evie!"

"Mom..." Evie flashed a smile and tried not to look all blushed and guilty. Like she hadn't just had a boy's erection pressed into her thigh. Like she wasn't about to let Billy Hargrove fuck her on a counter after making her breakfast. "You're home so early."

"Oh, well we had this disagreement down there and I just also couldn't stand how we left things..." Mona was gesturing aimlessly and setting her bag on the sofa, turning to see Evie before she gasped out. "Baby, what happened to your face?"

"Uh! I...slipped on the ice going down the steps. Really embarrassing." Evie touched her brow.

"Sweetheart," Mona came to kiss the wounded eye socket all better, "did you ice it well? I should have something that'll cure that right up in my bag." Manicured hands came to angle and see, tutting. "My poor thing."

"It's fine, really. I was just..." Evie trailed off as Mona hugged her. Tight. "Mom, really I'm okay. What...What happened?"

"Oh," she sniffed and laughed it off, "sisters disagree on silly things. They still love each other. And I just kept thinking about you here. I missed my baby." Mona patted her cheek and smelt the air. "Is that cologne? Did you throw any parties while I was gone?"

"No, I did adopt a new kitten. She was...a gift from a friend. Blue."

"I'll have to meet the little devil when she wanders out." A smile flashed. "No parties though, you know I don't mind a few friends over. Maybe...a nice boy."

"Mom." Evie groaned.

"Swear on Dolly, no parties though." Mona joked, sharp talons flicking toward the blonde country queen's framed face.

"I swear on Dolly. I...did try to make waffles. Craving." Evie chuckled and slid into a seat at the table. Adjusted the tablecloth some.

"They don't smell burnt, I'm impressed." Mona went to her bag. "Ah, well, I got us all kinds of fresh supplies. Powders and dust. Candles. Oils. Gris-gris. Plenty of sage for the house. And you can't snoop around my bag because I got you some lovely items for your birthday, missy."

"Great," Evie rubbed her temple and jabbed her sock-clad foot out when Billy's fingers teased her leg, "listen, mom, about our fight-"

"What fight?" Mona paused to blink at her daughter, setting new candles up on the shelves. "Oh, that little tiff. Sweetheart, your father and I are still working things out. I didn't want to tell you because...the thing is...he doesn't want to see us. In fact, he's been sending that money to ease his own consciousness and, I won't accept it. We don't need him. We have each other, that's enough."

Evie wanted to fight her mother on it. Watching the woman click around and keep busy by force so she didn't have to face those pesky emotions.

This woman who was alive and who sang her songs and who brought cut up pieces of fruit into her daughter's room unprompted. Who made delicious meals and who loved and supported her, despite being overbearing. Despite not wanting to process the negative.

Not everyone had a person who loved them that deeply, but Evie did. So, she just nodded.

"No, you're right." Hands clasped. "I hope you had a nice time down there."

"Yes, it was just a full house and I missed you. That's all." Mona pressed her lips. "I like being back home."

"Me, too." Evie gave Billy another light kick for being a handsy shit.

"I'm going to get the rest of this stuff unpacked in my room and I might have a trip to the store. Never a lazy moment, honey. Do you need anything?"

"Ah, I can't think of any-" Evie hitched a gasp and covered it in a cough because Billy's head slipped between her knees. "-thing!" They clamped shut to keep him in place. Mona blinked and gave her a shrug.

"Alrighty, dear. Well, let's say dinner tonight at six?"

"Six is perfect!" Evie pressed her lips, ready to burst at the mouth on her inner thigh. Teeth nipped and she reached under the table to tug for curls.

Mona flounced off to her room with the suitcase and Evie shoved out from the table the moment the door shut. Saw Billy's head perk, engulfed in the hanging cloth and looking too innocent.

"Nice orange panties. Little lacy."

She scowled at him. Lips touched her knee as an apology until Billy snickered and got pushed as he crawled out.

"What? I figured you sat down so I-"

"I was making sure you were covered, asshole." Evie hissed. "C'mon, you cannot be here. My mom can't know about us or...me with anyone, she'll lose her mind."

"You mean, she'll start ordering wedding cakes." Billy snuck back to the bedroom with her. Realized she had him by the hand. Evie shut the door and put on music so he could grab the rest of his stuff. "Window?"

"Probably best." Evie fiddled with her fingers and peered down. Shuddered to let the molten heat subside fully. "Sorry."

"Not my first grand escape." Billy got his jacket and boots on. Looked up from her bed and flashed a smile. "See you around?"

"You might."

"Swear on Dolly."

"Stuff it. Now shoo." Evie clasped those fidgeting hands behind her as he pushed the window up to climb over it.

Billy paused in the snowy grass when a palm covered his still gripping the edge. Blue eyes peered to see before lifting to her face, unable to read the expression or those huge, sparkling eyes that were ending him.

Unable to stop himself.

He craned to place his lips on her brow. A smile quirked and he had to face away from Evie for the first time. Something burst open and overcame him. Rendered Billy into a daze. Painted new iridescent colors he'd never seen before.

Fingers curled together. Drawing the connection out even still because they couldn't look at each other. Something else might crack and neither would come back from it.

"Why'd you do that?" Evie sounded out with no air.

"I felt like it." He shifted the toe of his boot into frozen slush to hear grass crunch.

"Your lips are soft." Evie peered aside. Butterflies landing within her stomach. For once, it didn't feel empty or like it was weighed down with jagged stones. "I meant what I said about going out. Me and you."

Me and you. Sounded so saccharine.

"I was gonna hold you to it, don't think I forgot." Billy peeked to see her and they managed to share another beat.

Whatever cracked seemed so worth it.

Evie felt the cold seeping in around him and didn't let his hand go. Didn't want to because he was letting her see him and touch him. Billy thought of when he was a little boy and his mother took him to see a play.

Romeo and Juliet. Lovers on the balcony. It seemed silly up until this exact moment where she looked so exquisite.

Billy longed to create stories with such a hold. Things that distracted from men who hit. Things he could project himself into so others could see inside his chest without it hurting.

One truth became so clear. Evie didn't hurt.

"Evie."

"Yeah?"

"Are you waiting for me to change on you?" He kept her gaze steady. Thought he saw her eyes well for one second.

"Honestly, I don't know what I'm waiting for these days. A charge maybe."

Billy looked amused, stretching toward her to settle their foreheads together. Tilting.

"I've heard you sing, Angel, draw it yourself." He came back. "And talk to Heather." Billy slipped from her hand and it pained him. It actually collapsed something under his flesh. "Sad eyes are killing me." He plucked for a cigarette to light up. "You might just kill me, you know that? And I'd let you."

Evie was lost in him, too.

"Billy."

"Hm?" He gave a sly turn and she bit her lip, picking up Blue when the needy kitten crawled to her for affection.

"Promise me something." She cocked her head, dark locks bouncing in the clear daylight. Billy curled a fuller smile at her.

"Think I won't do just about anything for you at this point?"

"Just promise me you won't change," she said, "after."

"So you admit we're happening?" He teased and Evie got flat. A finger drew along his chest. Eyes steady. "Cross my heart."

Evie shook her head with a smile and started to shut the window. Such sweet sorrow.

"Hey, flash me for the road." Billy got vulgar.

Never mind!

A huff before she smacked the window shut. Billy laughed on his way around the Hargrove house. Neil's car was gone to work. Thankfully.

Susan prepping a meal in the kitchen. Eyes lifted to see the boy still grinning to himself like he held a secret close to his heart.

"I like that song." She mused, chopping carrots and celery. Billy skidded to face her in the doorway.

"Huh?"

"That Irma Thomas one you were just humming." A smile followed. "I played it on the cello once. When I was younger. Did you know that?"

"No... Uh, must've been the TV playing it though." Billy hurried to his room, passing Max with some headphones on so he made a point to flick them off for fun.

"Jerk." A red scowl followed him as he ruffled her hair and went along. Blissfully uncaring. "Ugh."

Not missing a beat, Susan went back to her prep. Considered the reality that her stepson was on the cusp of first love.

** ** **

Evie mulled over her phone the next afternoon. Staring like it might come alive and solve all her problems. If only.

Blue hopped up for some pets that were granted. Purring encouraged Evie to pluck up the receiver. Dialing before she smacked it down.

"C'mon, just..." Evie winced and tried again. No answer. She ignored four calls the day before. Frowning, Evie settled the phone down and stood up with Blue. Heart falling.

And then a ring. Evie didn't wait for it to end.

"Hello!" She blurted.

"Evie!" Heather matched in enthusiasm.

"...Hey," Evie sank down holding the kitten to her chest.

"Hi," Heather lost what she was about to say and sighed, "can we maybe talk somewhere?"

"I'd...I'd like that." Evie searched, licking her lips.

"I, ugh, went for a walk into town. Want to meet at our cafe?" Heather sounded out, breath spreading cold in the booth. "I'm on a payphone."

"Sure. I'll be there in ten?"

"Right...right, I'll see you, I..." Heather welled. "I'm so sorry."

"Let's just talk when I get there." Evie sniffled. "I'm not mad anymore. It's stupid. It's not us."

"O-Okay, I'll see you in a bit. I'll order your favorite."

"Thanks, Heath. I'll hurry." Evie smacked the phone down and let Blue go to wander. "Mom, I'm going to meet Heather!" Hands yanked her boots and coat on.

"Leftovers in the fridge if you get hungry tonight!" Mona came out fixing her hair in a cocktail dress. "I'm going to meet some friends. Be home later, don't wait up for me." Evie stared at the little silver dots decorating her mother's dress. The sparkly earrings she was putting in.

It was clearly a date.

"Sure." Evie turned away to go into the cold, shutting the door behind her. Tried to pretend her mother wasn't another fifty logs on the fear of dating Billy Hargrove fire.

Barely catching the bus at the end of the road, she made it to the opposite side of the main street in no time. Hands stuffed into her pockets while shoulders hitched at the rush of cold. Evie shivered and got to the crosswalk, eyes lifting to see the orange hues inside the little coffee shop.

Heather in the window checking her watch with two drinks steaming and ready. Eyes lifted and brightened upon seeing her friend there. A smile crossed before she perked to wave.

Evie brought her gloved hand out to mirror it. Light as a feather.

A weight looped her wrist. Miraculous and dragging. Evie thought she might sink into concrete. A hand attached to a stumbling drunk.

It was Tannen's eyes that shook her. Full of vitriol and rage. Enough to poison anyone. The back of her tongue burned with it. Evie suddenly couldn't speak there against a harsh rush of winter wind.

"Fenny. Girl, I was just thinkin 'bout you." Tannen smiled all sloppy and he still looked so hateful.

"Let me go, Brock." Evie tugged back against him there at the crosswalk.

"Just wanna talk. Like we did in that closet. When we hid from the storm together. Was nice." He made this odd sound. A scrape in the back of his throat. Evie realized he was crying. Unsure why it frightened her more. "Never told anyone else what we talked about, did you know that?"

"You're drunk, you need to go home." Evie leveled out. If his emotions went any higher, they'd burst.

"Evie!" Heather called across the street. Jogging over as Brock yanked her further along. Into his much taller body. "Hey!"

"We're just talking, Holloway, don't get your thong in a twist." Tannen pulled a flask from his pocket and gulped, spilling sour alcohol on them both. Evie wrinkled her nose and really began to fight because he was yanking her toward his shiny new car. Already a dent in the side.

"Get your damn hands off her!"

"Maybe when I'm finished!" He craned toward the other girl.

"Let go of her," Heather grasped for Evie's arm, "you need help."

This manic smile crossed his face.

"It's why I'm talking to Fenny, here. She's just s-so fucking helpful. Pretty pillow for the world to land all its shit on. Aren't you, girl?" He dropped his flask into the top-down car and pinched Evie's cheek, got smacked off as she struggled. "Just understands shit. So, we're gonna go somewhere and talk like we did that night. Think about it too much and you fucked me up. You're gonna fix it."

Muscles burst when he plucked Evie up by her elbows and carelessly threw her into the backseat over the door.

"Stop it!" Evie scrambled up to crawl out as he pushed Heather around. "Just stop." She got out so he went for her again. Playfully hugging her into his chest. Brutally intoxicated. No one walking the streets to help at the late hour.

As if they'd try. Fucking people in this town. Minding their business when actual shit goes down but running for the dirty gossip.

"You were right, girl, everything you said. Fucking sucks. All of it. But, you knew that." He went on, eyes watery. "All this shit. It's not worth it."

That gouged her.

"Brock, you need to let me go, right now." Evie got wedged between him and the car. "You're scaring me, do you understand that?" She dropped her voice. Got through to him. "I'm sorry, divorce is shit and parents can fucking suck. But, this isn't going to make your life better. Destroying yourself and hurting others...just stop. You can stop." Heather came to tug at him again and he seemed to flood back.

Evie felt him loosen up so she slipped out and away.

"You shouldn't be driving." She tried. Snatching his wrist to help and the hate poured out. Hot lava burning Evie before a shove sent her back into Heather's arms.

"Not over," he muttered to himself, skidding around to get into the car regardless, "not over. Fucking Hawkins trash. Sick of it. All of it."

"Brock, just-wait!" Evie felt Heather grip her wrist as he swerved off. "Fuck."

"He's losing it." Heather pulled again. "Are you okay?"

"We should call the police, he could hurt someone...or himself." She added, going to a payphone. "Do you have change?"

"Yeah...yeah." Heather fished through her little wallet and Evie smashed some buttons. A couple of snowflakes fell as she hurried to speak into the receiver. Sky darkening above. One sigh followed before she shrugged and set it down.

"He already has a DUI, this won't end well." She rubbed her face. "He was crying." Like Fredrick. Huge, wet tears hitting cool skin. Hands pulling for more of her to still them.

They're sick and twisted and hateful and this part of Evie still wanted to nurture. To make it better because she couldn't make herself better.

"Are you okay, though?" Heather asked again, sweet as pie when she smoothed a snowflake from Evie's cheek before it could melt away. Brown eyes flickered.

"Yeah, just spooked I guess." Hands went back into her pocket so she leaned into the booth. "You?"

"Just glad he didn't drive off with you." Heather shook at the thought noticeably, using her sleeve to itch her nose before she held herself and frowned. "What...did you guys talk about in that closet? You know, before the fight?"

"I, uh, was pretty drunk so I don't remember much actually," Evie sidestepped out of the booth, eyes elsewhere, "it was over a year ago."

Brock was an asshole, but these weren't her secrets to share.

Evie got a few steps in before sighing ice to turn back to Heather. Stunning there under flickers of snow and stars reflecting in her big eyes. Glowing streetlamps. Hair piled with a baby blue ribbon to match her fuzzy sweater. Lips wobbling. Steady, Evie came to hug her tight.

"Not mad."

"You should be." Heather sniffled, squeezing her before pulling out. Fingers curling into Evie's coat. "Listen, the whole thing was dumb. He was normal at the time, I didn't know he was such a jerk. I just asked if he'd met you and figured you guys might have something in common. I was drunk and maybe vulgar. I'm sorry."

"We did, ah," Evie caught herself, "you were just trying to be a wing-woman and I...I get weird about that stuff. I'm still coming around to the idea of being...desired. I don't know. Let's just go inside."

"Ugh, you're hot, Evie, you are!" Heather smacked her ass as they turned to walk off. Evie jumped a mile into the air giggling which Heather mirrored. Arm slung over her shoulder. "The updated wardrobe was only the beginning. You're the whole package. Smart. Talented. Hell, you have the Keg King on your line. Just admit you're a tough bitch already and you deserve only the best."

"I have him on my line because someone gave him my number. What happened to busting his balls for me?"

"Well, I can make an exception if he makes you smile like that." Heather teased. "Come on, I bet our drinks are cold." They went into the cafe to leave Brock and his deranged expression behind. Back to the table after Evie waved at Jesse near the register. "Just got us a hot chocolate, figured we could use it. I can get us another if-"

"It's fine, Heather, let's just sit." Evie slipped her coat off and exhaled.

Behind her eyes, pictures flashed to blind. These snapshots of Fredrick shoving her into bed the same way Brock pushed her into that car. Brown hair slipping over sheets before fingers tugged at her clothing. Standing too tall over her until his shadow cast to shroud her soul. Evie felt lost to so many shadows before him with twisting smiles and thunderous claps.

A hand pushed into her chest to level the speeding heart and weeping lungs. Willed them to be still and lie down as Heather started to speak. More apologies.

Evie brought her sweater higher to cover herself. Tugged the sleeves down. Wanted to curl up in too much fabric and drown in a dream of silken sheets and falling begonia petals. So no one could see her skin and burn it.

Her breath drew tighter, closing in around too many clacking objects. Gemstones and keys. Red pushpins like cherries and that one safety pin that definitely opened on its way down. But, she'd been good again. Things would just come out. They had to.

They had to.

The things we put into the world come back at us. It worked both ways.

"Evie, you're shaking." Heather paused to touch her hand and Evie almost lunged back.

"I-I...I'm okay." A smile cracked too wide. "Just Tannen." Evie sputtered this breath like a broken fan, head shaking. Another smile. Even wider. Cheshire cat grin full of whimsy. She gulped and forced the chocolate down. Chalky into her stomach. "Did...Carol hurt you during that fight?"

"Almost pulled my earring out but I got some hair," Heather tilted to see Evie's face, "don't see much of a mark from that slap. You really gotta stay out of fights, Fenny, you'll give Billy a run."

"Don't I know it?" Evie watched Heather sip and peer at the little fireplace in the corner. "Mostly just shocked and I fell right into Tommy." Evie rubbed the corner of her eye. Started to breathe better with her friend here.

"I still...feel bad about-"

"Don't beat yourself up, Heath," Evie peered at the frost spreading along the windows. Near ready to obscure the world. Hide them in a warm little corner. "I don't want that for you."

"I put you in danger, Eve. I did that." Heather frowned again. Took a shaky drink.

Evie didn't have the heart to tell her best friend that danger was an old love whose arms she'd always walk into willingly. Body and soul. That she felt here when her heart panged at danger's shadow and weight looming over her shoulder. Spilling to eat her right up. Weighting her into a damp sheet. Again and again in the same room that held her hostage.

"Guys like Tannen put us in danger," Evie decided at last, "not the other way around."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.3K 1.3K 23
Secrets have always been present in the palaces of great empires, why should Asgard be any different? In the wake of the battle with the Vanaheim reb...
61.7K 73 10
WARNING!! SPG ALERT!! MATURE CONTENT!! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!! WARNING!! SPG ALERT!! MATURE CONTENT!! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!! PLEASE IF YOUR STILL...
154K 5.2K 28
In the most unlikely of places love begins to blossom... The calloused man and the rebellious young girl. Could this be any more cliché? Perhaps if y...
23.3K 1.9K 28
They say love is beautiful if it is unexpected and real but I am learning that even the unexpected love can be harmful to us..............