Raised Reaper

By ChristineStuart8

*SPOILER ALERT* (Spoilers for the Manga) When Ichigo's cousin Kaien was killed fighting a hollow his family w... More

Prelude to Death
Execution
Captain Aizen
Shedding Blood
Toshiro Hitsugaya
Daiguren Hyourinmaru
Recovery
Questions and Answers
Update

War Council

22 1 0
By ChristineStuart8

After nearly a month of convalescing Ichigo still couldn't walk right. He wore a knee brace every day and did his best but he was limping just a bit to take some of the pressure off the last of each step he made with his left foot. Captain General Yamamoto had called a meeting of the captains and lieutenants and Ichigo was determined to be able to stand through the whole meeting. He arrived with his captain and was glad to see his father there with Lieutenant Matsumoto as well. What surprised him was when he noted Toshiro standing there also. Ichigo was puzzled by his presence since as a Third Seat he wouldn't have been called to the meeting. Perhaps he was there to assist Isshin with something.

Ichigo followed Captain Ukitake into the room. Many of the other captains were already present; Captain Soi Fon, Captain Unohana, Captain Kuchiki, and Captain Komamura all stood at attention. They had left holes in their ranks where the former captains of squads three, five, and nine would have stood. Ichigo noted that even the lieutenant's of those squads were missing. As he understood it Lieutenant Hinamori was still in the hospital. She wouldn't be attending the meeting at all. Ichigo hadn't seen lieutenant Hisagi or Kira since before the incident on Sokyoku Hill. He wondered what had become of them.

Ichigo watched as the rest of the captains and lieutenants arrived, noting that those still hadn't arrived. Captain Zaraki was the last of the captains to make an appearance with Lieutenant Kusajishi hanging onto his right shoulder. He took his place at the end of the line and Ichigo scanned the room once more. Lieutenant Abarai still wore bandages from the wounds Aizen had inflicted on him. Captain Komamura and his father had both completely healed as far as he knew. Then he noticed that Lieutenant Sasakibe was missing. It was strange to not see him behind Captain General Yamamoto. Ichigo knew that the lieutenant hadn't been injured badly enough to excuse himself. Where was he?

Captain General Yamamoto struck his cane against the wooden floor calling everyone to attention. Ichigo returned his gaze to the wall behind Captain and Lieutenant Kurotsuchi.

"We will now begin this war meeting of the captains and assistants to determine our plan of attack against the traitor Aizen." Tension rose in the room and Ichigo struggled not to clench his fists. "Bring them in!" Captain Yamamoto commanded. The doors to the council chamber opened and lieutenants Hisagi and Kira stepped in dropping quickly to their knees. Lieutenant Sasakibe stood calmly behind them, but Ichigo knew that this scene was anything but. Were they on trial here? Would they be executed for their captain's actions? Ichigo could feel his shoulders tensing as he tried to sort through his thoughts. This felt wrong to him and he didn't like it. What should he do? Was he permitted to speak?

"You are both pardoned for any blame that may have been placed on you for your captain's actions. We have determined that neither of you knew anything of this treachery against the Seireitei. Lieutenant Hinamori is likewise pardoned and will be held guiltless for the actions of Sosuke Aizen. Lieutenant Hisagi, Lieutenant Kira, you will both fulfill the duties of a captain for your squads until such time as a replacement can be appointed. I name you both acting captains of squads three and nine respectively." Both of the lieutenants bowed their foreheads to the floor as a sign of respect and acknowledgment of the words spoken.

"You may now take your places." They both stood and moved to their typical positions. There were no captains for them to stand behind so they looked exposed as they stood in the places they normally held. Ichigo was glad that they wouldn't be executed for their captain's actions. He didn't know much about either of them, but neither struck him as a traitor. Both stared at the floor in front of them instead of the opposite wall. Lieutenant Kira looked especially exposed as Captain Soi Fon stared daggers at him.

"Let in the others," Captain Yamamoto commanded. Lieutenant Sasakibe opened one of the doors and two more people filed in. The woman Ichigo recognized from Sokyoku hill. She had tried to take Aizen captive with Captain Soi Fon. The other was Third Seat Hitsugaya. Once he was inside he lowered himself to the floor pressing his left fist against it. His right hovered just above the floor. Ichigo figured Toshiro's shoulder must still be bothering him. The woman stood close to the back wall, which meant she felt she was at least the equal of a lieutenant. Ichigo wondered again who she was.

"Third Seat Hitsugaya," Captain Yamamoto continued. "You will report on your encounter with the traitor Sosuke Aizen in as much detail as you can remember." Ichigo wondered where this could be going. He listened, sorry to hear of the state that Toshiro had found his sister in. Ichigo had a younger sister and seeing such a thing would have torn him apart mentally. He was surprised, as it seemed most of the room was, to learn that Toshiro had mastered bankai. Ichigo glanced at his father to see a proud smile there. So his father had been aware at least. Then Toshiro reached the part where he had lost consciousness and fell silent.

"Captain Unohana." The captain of squad four stepped forward and filled in the rest of the story up until when Aizen had disappeared from the Seijoto Kyorin and appeared back on Sokyoku hill. Ichigo wasn't sure why the Head Captain was going to all the trouble. Were the details really that important? Captain Unohana finished and similarly fell silent. Murmurs started up as thoughts were expressed on what had just been shared.

"So what?" Captain Zaraki said. "All we have to do is be careful when we're fighting him or something right? I dealt with Tosen's Zanpaku-to just fine. I don't think it'll be a problem."

"No, Kenpachi Zaraki," Captain Yamamoto said, with force but not raising his voice. A respectful silence fell as they all turned to listen to the Head Captain. "Thisis very different from Kaname Tosen's Suzumushi. This does not rid you of your senses, it blankets them with whatever illusion Aizen wants you to see. You could think you had felled an army of foes only to find out you had hit nothing, or worse your own comrades; and that's only if Aizen decided to let you find out. There are only two soul reapers present with any chance of defeating Aizen." The silence stretched for a few moments.

"Ichigo Shiba," Captain Yamamoto said. Ichigo jumped a little in surprise before stepping forward and kneeling. He was careful to keep off his left knee as much as possible.

"Sir!" Ichigo said.

"You and Third Seat Toshiro Hitsugaya are both strong enough and fateful enough to have not seen Aizen's shikai. Together you will begin extensive training in preparation for our battle against him. We will rely on you to defeat him should all other's fail." In shock, Ichigo looked up at the Head Captain. Captain Yamamoto's face was serious and showed he wasn't joking. Then Ichigo glanced back at Toshiro. The Third Seat had raised his eyes to look at the Head Captain. At a glance no one would have noticed anything different about his look. But Ichigo saw the glint of determination in Toshiro's eyes, and perhaps something else, rage, vengeance? Although he wasn't sure he also noticed how tightly Toshiro's fists were clenched.

"Yes, sir." Toshiro said. As with his body, his voice did not bely the emotion he was clearly feeling. It also served to remind Ichigo where he was. Ichigo returned his attention to the Head Captain.

"Yes, sir!" he mimicked, voicing his acceptance. He still couldn't help but wonder what they were getting themselves into. In his mind he could still clearly see Aizen defeating his father in a single action, that had taken barely a few seconds. Could they defeat Aizen?

"Return to your posts. Toshiro Hitsugaya you will stand behind Lieutenant Matsumoto." Ichigo stood and glanced over his shoulder as Toshiro quietly took his place behind Rangiku. Toshiro's eyes were downcast never leaving the floor, but whether that was a sign of respect or his best effort to hide his emotions Ichigo couldn't tell. Once they were back in their places Ichigo glanced back at the Head Captain expecting the meeting to be over.

"Yoruichi Shihoin." Ichigo was surprised at the name. He had heard of the Shihoin family. They were one of the four great noble houses like his own, along with the Kuchiki's. He turned his head to see who the Head Captain was addressing and was surprised when the woman from Sokyoku hill stepped forward. So this was Yoruichi Shihoin, the Goddess of Flash? He had heard all sorts of stories about the level of mastery she had obtained over shun-po but he had to admit he had never seen her inaction. She had mysteriously disappeared over one hundred years ago. It seemed she was back now. Yoruichi stood proud at the back of the room, her arms hanging relaxed at her sides as she faced the gathering of captains.

"I cannot excuse the coincidental timing of your reappearance. What do you know?" the Head Captain asked. Yoruichi allowed herself a momentary smirk before addressing the gathering.

"Kisuke Urahara has been doing his best to keep tabs on Aizen's movements ever since he fled the Soul Society. We put the Hogyoku in play in the hopes of luring him into action. I was sent here to retrieve it and keep Aizen from claiming it but I failed to do so. However, it seems in that failure his had was forced and he has exposed himself as the traitor that he is. War is coming to the Soul Society and likely the World of the Living. I should go back and share with Kisuke what has happened so that he can prepare."

Movement caught Ichigo's attention as he turned from Yoruichi to see Captain Kurotsuchi rolling his eyes as his head tilted from side to side. It was an odd gesture and Ichigo wasn't sure where it stemmed from.

"We don't need that idiot's help. I can manage anything the Soul Society will need to fight back against the coming war myself." Ichigo knew that Kisuke Urahara had been the captain of squad twelve before Captain Kurotsuchi had taken over. Apparently there was a rivalry of sorts there.

"Silence," the Head Captain commanded, raping his staff on the floor once for emphasis. "We will accept Kisuke Urahara's help in this endeavor. We need allies not enemies now." Yoruichi smirked again.

"Well, I do know of some others that might be willing to help us," she said.

"Good," the Head Captain replied. "I want to see Ichigo Shiba and Toshiro Hitsugaya at the training grounds tomorrow, along with all the captains. This meeting is dismissed." Ichigo felt full of excited energy as he turned to look for Toshiro. He wondered what the Third Seat of squad ten thought of these new developments, but as they filed out, Toshiro seemed lost in his own thoughts and never made eye contact.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.1K 1K 65
When Kera Senbonsai graduated as a soul reaper, she expected to get into Squad 11 - the toughest squad in the Soul Society, led by none other than th...
42K 521 5
A "Bleach" - male reader insert. Rukia Kuchiki x Male Reader Rather than her fateful encounter with Ichigo Kurosaki, Rukia finds herself working in a...
67.8K 1.8K 12
**Book One** You have just moved to Karakura Town with your father for work, it wasn't long after your moved that your father enrolled you to Karakur...
31.1K 1K 42
When Ichigo shows no interest to Shinji's lures of joining the Vizard, the group of ex-Shinigami end up taking to slightly extreme measures. Ichigo i...