๐‚๐‡๐„๐‚๐Š๐Œ๐€๐“๐„- ๐‹๐„๐Ž๐๏ฟฝ...

By justarcane

๐‚๐‡๐„๐‚๐Š๐Œ๐€๐“๐„ ๐ง๐จ๐ฎ๐ง /หˆtสƒษ›kmeษชt/ a position in which a player's king is directly attacked by an oppone... More

~INTRO~
MAGICLESS HERBIVORE
KEEP YOU COMPANY
PARTNER? MORE LIKE A BRAT
JUST A GAME
CHESS MASTER
MANAGER
WANT A RIDE?
MIDNIGHT ENCOUNTER
I DIDN'T GET TO SAY THAT
BEHOLD! IT'S BESTIE'S DEBUT!
NINGEN-SAN TO TSUNOTAROU-KUN
I WISH
TAKE A REST WOULD YOU?
RUN
YOU COULD HAVE DIED
DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES
LION INSTINCT
SHE DOESN'T HAVE TO KNOW
I CAN SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING
PERHAPS, MAYBE
YOUR OPPONENT IS ME
INVESTIGATION STARTS!
LET'S END THIS
NOT FINE
THE SMILE ON YOUR FACE
I WILL TURN IT INTO SAND
PLEASE, COME BACK
NICE TO MEET YOU, CHEKA-KUN
AFRAID OF
WHAT GIVES YOU MOTIVATION?
I'LL BE THERE
THREE TWO ONE, ACTION!
YOU BEAT ME TO IT
DESPITE EVERYTHING
IT'S A DEAL!

I HAVE A DREAM

3.1K 140 43
By justarcane

"Know your place and step out of things that you're unqualified to intervene."

This is the sentence I've heard the most in my life.

I came from a traditional and so-called upper-class family in Japan. In my family, there is an unwritten rule: Women cannot intervene in the family business.

I used to live with my father, who is the current head of the family and the CEO of the company, and Kenji, my brother, stepbrother, to be precise-
——

"Wait, so you have a brother, too?" Leona all of a sudden interrupted you with a question.

You nodded.

You could see the shock on his face. "Why haven't you told me about that?!" Perhaps it's because he had a brother either, he seemed to care about that a lot.

"Well, there're a lot of things that I haven't told you or anyone here yet." You shrugged. "Now, you still wanna hear about that?"

Hearing that Leona zipped his lips and stopped talking. "Please go on."

"As for my mother, I've never even seen her. My father had an affair with her, and they had me, the one they said should not be born. She left me in the family after receiving the hush money." You continued your journey by recalling the deepest memories in your head.

——
"Are you gonna let that filthy woman's daughter live here, in this house, forever?!" When I was 6, I heard my father's wife yell at him in his study. I knew she was referring to me, though she didn't actually mention my name.

"What's a big deal? She's just a bargaining chip, a good! We feed her and let her study. When she grows up, we can marry her off and gain benefits from the marriage. Can't you see that's a bargain?!" My father scolded back.

"One more thing, you have no place to bargain with me. Know your place!" He added.

Before that day, I sometimes would wonder why I seemed to not be welcomed by the family. That's the first time in my life, that I have acknowledged my value in the family and my parents' hearts.

——
"Father, look at my report card! I've got a straight A!" I enthusiastically raised the report card in front of him. He'll definitely be proud of me, I thought. A "good job" or "well done" would perfectly make my day.

He turned to me with a pair of cold eyes and returned to the computer screen. "Chiko, take her out! Don't let her come into my study." He ordered. Soon enough, a maid came in and took me out of the room.

"My report card!" I accidentally dropped it on the ground, but it was too late for me to get it back, as the door was already sealed shut.

The next day, I saw it in the garbage, crumpled.

——
When I was in elementary school, my friend once invite me to go to her home for a party.

"Father, I want to join my friends to-"

"No." He rejected it before I could finish my word.

"But-"

"Why would you spend time messing around instead of studying?! Have you practiced the piano today?"

"Yes, for 2 and a half hours."

"How about the cello? And the Mathematics? Italian?"

"..."

"If not why on earth are you brave enough to come to me and ask for anything?"

I didn't try to argue back, as it wouldn't work anyways. "I am sorry father." That was all I mumbled before I closed the door and returned to my room.

——
"Father, I have written a proposal regarding the recently imposed scheme in the company. Would you like to take a look at it?" I held a black file in my hand and knocked on the door of my father's office.

When I was in middle school, I figured out a way that might allow me to impress my father, and could make him recognize me. I had always been reading different business books, trying to get more knowledge in this field. I spent days and nights drafting a proposal that included my views and suggestions on the company's new policy. I thought he would at least take a look at it.

"Who told you to make this?" He questioned.

"No one. I draft it by myself." I answered confidently.

The next thing I could feel was a slap on my face. I looked at the annoyed face of my father and covered the reddened part of my cheek, completely clueless about the situation.

"You have no place to say anything about the company! What the hell do you know about that!? Know your place and be what you're supposed to be, pretty doll!" He yelled at me, before throwing the file into the bin.

I looked at the file in the bin and realized something. No matter what I do, how hard I tried to impress him, I will always be nothing but a good ready to be sold in his eyes.

I left his office, and that's when I saw Kenji. He is two years older than me. He had always been a bastard, but things got worse after his mother divorced our father.

"What are you loser doing there, in the headquarters of our company?" He smirked and questioned.

I didn't answer him and tried to leave, but he stopped me by grabbing my wrist.

"I am talking to you, bitch!" He scolded.

I almost lost my balance and fell off when I was all a sudden pulled back. "What are you doing? LET ME GO!"

"Who are you to ignore me!?" He yelled. He then bent forwards and whispered next to my ear. "Letting you step into the company, our house is just an insult. As you're, and will always be filthy like your mother."

My hand automatically raised and smacked his face when I heard the last sentence. I had never met her, my mother, but that was my bottom line.

"DID YOU JUST SLAP ME?!" He was almost screaming out of anger. "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TO SLAP ME?!"

He once again roughly pulled me close by grabbing my arm. "You will always be a filthy loser in front of me. Don't you think I don't know what you're trying to do? You want to be the heir, don't you? Give up! I don't have to do anything and one day I will be in charge of the company. And you? You are nothing, but a loser."

——
Why was I born into this family?

Why can't I have a childhood like my classmates do?

Why can't I have equal opportunities with Kenji?

Why won't he agree with me for once and give me just a "nice job" no matter how hard I tried?

Why can't I be treated as a human being instead of a good or a business tool?

Life is... simply unfair.

——
Since that day, I've given up impressing any of them in the family. There's no point in doing that.

The last straw was that nonsense marriage arrangement.

"What do you mean you have arranged my marriage?" I questioned furiously and was in shock when I heard that he had already planned my marriage when I didn't even know the groom.

The man who I called father sat on his leather sofa and drank a sip of tea without any haste. He then unhurriedly put down the cup on the coffee table. "I've already arranged a meal for you and Domoto-san's son. We both agree on this marriage."

"Relax, you will have about two years to get along with that boy before the marriage." He added. Implying that the wedding would be held once I turn 18.

"It's MY marriage. How can you randomly choose a boy for me and tell me to get married to him?!" I stood up from the chair and gushed.

"You've known it from the beginning." He uttered. "Through this marriage, both sides will gain benefits. I can't see how that's not a win-win."

"But what about me? How can I marry someone that I don't even know and be with him for the rest of my life?!" I fumed, this was a marriage of convenience. It would be nothing but a contact, and I wouldn't accept that.

"I said you'll be given two years to get to know him. I can't see where the problem is-"

"It's not the point! The point is that I don't get to choose who I will get married to! It's my life and you don't get to control that!" I couldn't hold it anymore and yell.

"There's no your own life or anything! We feed you, we give you a place to live in, and let you study. YOU OWE US!"

I could feel my heart drop after hearing all those words said by the man in front of me, who I called father. I took a deep breath and made the decision that had been in my head for a long time.

"I am leaving this family."

The response I got from him was a burst of insulting laughter. "You can't be serious, can you? You can't even stand a day out there."

"I rather starve outside than live in this house, this cage meaninglessly and with my life being dominated by the other's hands."

"Let's make a deal." I voiced. He looked at me with doubt, but still, he nodded and asked for elaboration.

"Give me two years. I will show you my ability." You continued, "In the coming two years, you have no right to intervene in my life. I will move out of this house. You have to promise not to track me. I'll use these two years to prove to you that I, as your daughter, am equally capable of managing my own life and anything Kenji is capable of. I will show you my achievements when the deadline comes."

"If I can do what I have promised, I will have the right to participate in our family's business and you have to stop manipulating my life. You will no longer arrange any marriage for me."

"What if you fail to do so?" He challenged with a smirk.

I stopped for a second before I took a deep breath and replied to his question.

"If I fail to fulfill my promise when the two-year's deadline comes, I will do whatever you say," I told him my bet— my future.

The room became silent after I told him the details of the deal. I held my breath and hoped that I would get this chance.

"Alright." I heard him say and looked up from the ground.

"I will give you two years to live on your own and do whatever stupid things you want to do. I will not step in. I guess that's enough to prove you wrong."

"However, remember what you said. If you fail, you will have to marry Domoto-san's son and step out of our company."

I held the fist and swallowed hard before I nodded to confirm my promise. This might be risky, but if it's for my future, I'm willing to take this risk.

"Wonderful." He stood up from the chair and reached out his hand, "Glad to do business with you."

I hesitated a bit, but still, I reached out my hand to have a handshake with him.

"I look forward to seeing you come back to me with tears in your eyes and beg for forgiveness." He teased when he was still having that fake smile on his face.

I smirked, "I guess I have to let you down, father."

——
"So basically, I moved out after that day and rent a flat outside." You continued to recall. "At first, I tried a few part-time jobs, but the wages were way too low, and I couldn't attend the night school and finish the courses. I don't even have money for food after paying the rent."

"Then, I found a job in a television station under the recommendation of my friend. The wage was reasonable, and I learned a lot from the senpais there."

"So that's why you know a lot about those fashion, skincare, makeup, and things like that?" Leona asked. His confusion was finally resolved after all these times.

You nodded. "Working in the TV station is busy and stressful. I never thought I would work in that industry before, but after working there for a while, I seemed to have learned a lot, and I have become more resilient and flexible. These can be used when I start my own business or take over my family's."

"How about the deal between you and your father?"

"Well, everything was pretty fine. Although I got exhausted after attending school, working in the TV station, and attending extra courses, I finally felt that my life was in my own hand. This kind of life felt so real, that I knew I was actually alive, but not just a puppet of the others."

"But...?" Leona knew that there must be some plot twist.

"But that day changed everything. I was on my way to an interview at a well-known company. They were going to have an internship program and I really wanted to join it."

"On my way to the venue, a black cart came out from nowhere. When I woke up, I was locked in a coffin with Grim, in NRC." You shrugged with a wry smile. "Kinda hilarious, isn't it?"

You finished telling your life story. It wasn't anything you would like the others to know, as being born into such a family wasn't something honorable. You moved your sight from the crackling fire to Leona, who was sitting on the log next to you. He was looking at you either, without saying anything.

"You think I'm stupid, right? To give up such a stable and comfortable life for the hardship." You smiled. You wouldn't feel angry or startled even if Leona thought that way, as many people around you thought just like that.

"No, that's not stupid." You heard the boy reply without any hesitation.

"You're brave enough to choose your own path and escape from that sick manipulation. Not everyone is courageous enough to do so." He said. "I appreciate that."

Hearing Leona's words, you were somehow surprised. Back in Japan, not many of them were supportive of your choice, but here's Leona, who actually appreciated your hard work.

"I have an ultimate goal." You looked up at the moon hanging in the sky.

"What is it?"

"Someday in the future, I will return to my family with my own business and my own life. Kenji and father will be totally shocked, and I'll be like 'who's the loser now?' "

Leona smiled, "I kinda like that goal of yours, herbivore. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed to see that smug smile disappearing from your father's and your brother's faces."

"And I guess I finally understand why you're so determined to win." He added, recalling the first time you two played chess together during detention.

"I promise myself that the next time I see Kenji, I will be the winner, and he'll be the loser." You told him.

All of a sudden, you heard a loud howling. It seemed like it was from a wolf or any creature similar to it, and it reminded you that you two were still in a dangerous forest with unknown creatures wandering around.

"It's not close to us, I can hear that." Leona tried to ease your tension, as he noticed that your hands were holding and scratching each other. You always did that when you're nervous.

Hearing his words kind of made you feel a bit relieved. At least there wouldn't be a wolf-like creature rushing into the area you two were in the next second.

"It's your turn then." You voiced. You had to find a new topic to talk about, so your attention could be moved away from the howling of the wolf.

The lion boy smirked, "Me? I'm sure nothing is interesting."

You raised an eyebrow with doubt. He's definitely hiding something.

Looking at your doubtful face, Leona looked down and thought for a moment.

"Well, I all of a sudden remember how I got that scar." He broke the silence and uttered.

Hearing that, your curiosity was totally awakened. You knew there was a story behind that long scar on his eye. "And you're gonna share it, aren't you?" You looked at him with an "I knew you were hiding something" smirk.

Leona laughed a bit and joked, "What are we now? Friends sitting next to the crackling fire and sharing their secrets?"

"Absolutely not." You smiled, "Just two schoolmates, who accidentally got stuck and end up chitchatting because they've got nothing else to do."

Leona smirked, "Yep, just two normal and not-so-familiar schoolmates."

"So when will you start the storytelling, schoolmate-san?"

"I apologize for keeping you waiting." He said. It's not usual for him to share about his family with others, probably never. However, somehow after hearing what you had been through, he thought maybe, just perhaps, someone might finally understand his feeling. "I think I've told you about my brother, right?"

"I guess it's just a common tradition for families like ours to compare their children."

——
My father's birthday was coming. To celebrate the king's birthday, they would hold a grand banquet in the palace. There would be guests and ministers from foreign countries.

One of the most awaited sections of the banquet was the princes' gift-giving. Every year, my brother and I had to prepare a presentation for our father and give it to him during the banquet in front of the guests. It was a historical tradition of Sunset Savanna and the people valued that a lot. Their impressions of the princes were based on the section.

I was about 7 at that time. I thought if I did well in the gift-giving, they would finally recognize that I was equally talented as Falena. At least, I could change the way they see me.

To wow my father and the guests, I tried so hard to think of what I could give him. Jewels? No, he had a lot in the treasure vault. Portrait of him? He got a new one every year. Treasures from the foreign? Not bad, but expected.

After weeks and months of searching, I finally found an ideal present for my father from a book in the palace's library. It was an endangered herb. The book mentioned that it could be found on the tallest tree in Sunset Savannaclaw. It also mentioned that the herb could be used to treat all kinds of illnesses.

My father was suffering from a chronic illness. I thought the herb could definitely help him. It was the present I had been finding.

To get that herb, I sneak out of the palace some days before my father's birthday. I had always been doing that, and the guards of the palace didn't discover me every time.

I followed the map in the book and arrived at the mountain. I found that the tree was way taller than I had expected, but if it was for my father, and to prove that I wasn't inferior to Falena, to change the way they look at me, the troublesome and terrifying second prince, everything's worthy.

I didn't know how long and how high I had climbed up. The herb was the one thing I could see in my eyes.

Eventually, I could see a red plant, which was exactly the same as the one I saw in the book. I was so excited, as finally, I made it. Success was right in front of me.

All of a sudden, when my hand nearly touched the herb, I saw a sharp twig fall from above. I knew I couldn't dodge it and my arms were being used to grab the branches so I would not fall. I could only close my eyes, and the next second, all I could feel was pain all over my left eye. I didn't dare to spare a hand from the cliff wall to check the wound, so I ignored the pain and continued to climb toward the herb.

I reached out my hand, and finally, I got it.

I tried my best to climb down the tree and returned to the ground, but I could feel the blood rushing out from the wound on my left eye, and I started to feel dizzy due to the loss of blood. As soon as my feet stepped onto the ground, everything turned dark and I lost consciousness.

When I opened my eyes, I was on my own bed in the palace. Apparently, they found that I was missing and eventually discovered me on the mountain. I could only see things with an eye, as the other one was covered by bandages. the doctor told me that I was lucky enough that my eyeball wasn't damaged, but the scar might be there forever.

At that moment, the condition of my eye wasn't the first thing I was concerned about, but the herb. I immediately asked the guards who discovered me if they had seen the herb in my hand, but they said there wasn't anything in my hand when they found me. It was perhaps taken away by the animals when I fainted.

"Leona why did you run away from the palace?! It was dangerous!" My father questioned when he came to visit me.

"I was trying to-" I wanted to explain, but he interrupted me before I could do so.

"Look at your brother, he had never gotten himself into any troubles like this! Falena has always been sensible and can take care of himself. You should..."

I don't remember exactly what he said that day, but it's mainly about how good was Falena as a son and as a prince, and that I should be learning from him instead of getting into trouble. I didn't reply to him, and I gave up explaining. I was tired to do so. Besides, there wasn't any proof, and they wouldn't believe me. After all the efforts I had made, nothing had changed.

"Why is Falena-sama so sensible and bright, but is his brother Leona so hard to please and always causes trouble?" I heard a servant say to his colleagues outside my room. He probably thought I was asleep.

"You're right. He has been increasing our workload, and look at this. I even have to take care of his injury apart from the other work I've got!" A female servant agreed.

"Could the two of you keep your mouths shut? What if he heard you and turned you two into the sand with his unique magic?!" Another servant came across and warned.

"Terrifying...!" They gushed.

How hilarious. If it was Falena who was injured, they must be so worried and considerate.

"Falena-sama, how did you get hurt? This is too heartbreaking!"

"Falena-sama, it's ok, just take some rest, we'll be taking care of you."

"Falena-sama, you're such a good son to risk your life to get a present for your father! That's the future king the people need!"

I could already imagine that.

Eventually, I didn't attend the birthday banquet that year. Of course, what I received was more and more criticism from those ministers and guests for my absence. And Falena, who sang a song as a gift for my father, got increasingly more praise and support.

"That's the first prince of Sunset Savanna. Always bringing joy to everyone."

"Where is the second prince, Leona?"

"I've heard that he got injured when he sneaked out from the palace. How could he do something like this before the king's birthday?"

——
"Life is simply unfair. This is what I've learned from that accident." Leona put his hand on his left eye, covering that long scar.

"No matter how hard I try, as long as I'm the second prince, I will never be as good as Falena. Most importantly, I will never be the king of Sunset Savanna. This is something that I can never change." He put on a wry smile.

You had never expected to hear that from Leona. You never thought that behind that confident and smug face of his, was a story like this.

"I know that's against your principle of working hard, but sometimes, not everything can be changed by hard work." He expressed. "Guess I am just the useless second prince who will never be king."

"It's not like that." You uttered.

Leona seemed to be a bit surprised by your reaction. "What do you-"

"It is not like you're useless and hated." You looked up to Leona and stated firmly.

"You may be arrogant sometimes, but it doesn't change the fact that you're a talented and brilliant mage." You didn't know why you would say anything like this right in front of Leona, but none of these were fake.

"I know it's so desperate when the others can't see or don't even give a damn about all the efforts you have made. My father and Kenji are the best examples."

"Yep, they are total jerks."

"Yes, thank you. What I want to say is that it's not your fault that they can't see your talent. Primogeniture is simply stupid, I must say. Why not choose the king according to the capability?"

"You are already good enough, like you're good at the ancient curse, alchemy, astrology, almost all subjects. You're also gifted in Spelldrive, and playing chess. I mean, why deny yourself because of the throne?"

"Kingscholar, you are indeed arrogant. However, you're with no doubt, one of the most talented mages in NRC. This cannot be wrong." You smiled and turned to him. You were so focused on encouraging him that you didn't notice that you had put your hand on his when you were talking.

"So Kingscholar, don't be too stubborn about the throne. There're plenty of paths that you can choose from. I am sure you will succeed anyways with your talent." A tiny grin appeared on your face.

Leona looked at you, with his eyes slightly widened. Perhaps in the past 20 years, no one had ever said anything like this to him. No one had ever given him any compliment and recognition as you did.

He could feel his cheeks turn a little bit red and his heartbeat slightly increased when he saw the grin on your face, and that your hand was on his. It was just like that time in the corridor when you decided to forgive him.

Perhaps it's not because of the heatstroke.

"Herbi- Y/n, I-" Leona felt like there was something he wanted to say, but all of a sudden, another howling broke the little moment between the two of you.

You instinctively took away your hand from Leona's and looked around to see if something was coming. "You heard that? Is it getting closer??"

Leona took back his hand and held it in the other one. He listened to the howling again before assuring you, "No, it's not. Don't worry."

Whatever howled, you're officially hated by Leona Kingscholar.

"Ahhhhhaam..." you couldn't help to yawn. You hadn't been sleeping for a long day, and you started feeling tired. You swiped the tears from the corner of your eyes.

"You can take a nap if you want." You heard Leona suggest. "I will be staying up, so you don't have to be worried that you'll be eaten by those creatures when you're asleep."

You really needed sleep, but you wondered if it was good to leave Leona, who was also injured, alone. "It's fine. I am not tired- Ahhaaam..." before you could finish the sentence, a yawn escaped from your lips again.

"Not tired, really, herbivore?" Leona teased.

"Thank you, Kingscholar." You smiled and gave in to your tiredness. Just a small nap, nothing bad could happen, right?

"Wait, herbivore." You heard Leona call before you went to sleep on the log.

"Take the jacket. It's getting cold." He took off the black school jacket and gave it to you.

You were a bit surprised, but still, you received it and thanked the lion boy.

"One more thing, Kingscholar." You called before you closed your eyes.

"Yes?"

"What I said back there, none of them were lies. I mean it."

Hearing that, Leona's thin lips curved into a tiny soft smile. "Yes, I know."

"Thank you, Y/n."

You didn't reply, as you were already asleep and Leona could even hear your soft snoring.

Looking at you sleeping peacefully, Leona could finally be relieved from everything that happened after you two had arrived at this forest. It had been a long day, but at least, perhaps he finally acknowledged something.

——
"... Herbivore..."

"..."

"Wake up, herbivore."

"... one more minute Kingscholar..." you still wanted to sleep for a while longer although you heard Leona's voice.

"No, herbivore, you have to! We-"

"%#$!!... #!%$#!" An unknown voice yelled in an unknown language.

The next second, freezing cold water was poured onto you all of a sudden. You were immediately awoken by the coldness. Your body was all wet and your hair was dripping water.

"What on Earth is-" you were shocked when you saw the scene in front of you.

You were surrounded by 6-7 men who were dressed like cavemen with spears in their hands. You looked around to search for Leona and found that he was subdued by two of the strangers. You could see obvious bruises on his face.

"Kingscholar! What-"

"Shh!!" The man next to you ordered.

"Oh my Great Seven, please save us."
——

NOTE

Sorry for not updating for a long time :') This chapter is to bring out the background of Y/n and also some flashbacks of Leona, so it's a bit long and I think conversations can show the relationship between the characters the best. Hope you don't mind it and enjoy! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 263 8
โ‹†.เณƒเฟ”*:๏ฝฅ๐Ÿชผโ‹†๏ฝกหš (various Twisted wonderland x gnReaderFurina) โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค ๐‘ป๐’‰๐’† ๐’”๐’•๐’‚๐’ˆ๐’† ๐’Š๐’” ๐’”๐’†๐’•! ๐‘ซ๐’ ๐’š๐’๐’–๐’“ ๐’ƒ๐’†๐’”๐’• ๐’Š๐’ ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’‘๐’†๐’“๐’‡๐’๐’“๐’Ž๐’‚๐’๐’„...
116K 4.8K 91
โ™กโ‹†.เณƒเฟ”* โ”” โž ๐™๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™™ ๐™’๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™™๐™š๐™ง๐™ก๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™‘๐™–๐™ง๐™ž๐™ค๐™ช๐™จ ๐™“ ๐™๐™š๐™ข!๐™๐™š๐™–๐™™๐™š๐™ง โ–ƒ โ–ƒ โ–ƒ โ–ƒ "๐—œ'๐—บ ๐—ถ๐—ป ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ฎ ๐—ณ๐—ฎ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜†๐˜๐—ฎ๐—น๐—ฒ. ๐—˜...
43.4K 2K 43
Lucien Valentin, a self-proclaimed outcast, is now trying to expand his none-existing social circle. It's not too late to start socializing now that...