Life in Zora's Domain - Part...

By Andremoi_88

For anyone who wishes more about Mipha's and Link's life together, this story is a sequel to "Life in Zora's... More

Chapter 1 - Accepting Responsibility
Chapter 2 - Astra and Purah
Chapter 3 - Family Agreements
Chapter 4 - Astra Meets Zelda
Chapter 5 - Catching Up and Diving Down
Chapter 6 - Astra and the Master Sword
Chapter 7 - Motivations
Chapter 8 - Astra Visits Zora's Domain
Chapter 9 - The Right Answers
Chapter 10 - Astra's Day at Zora's Domain
Chapter 11 - Relaxing Rain
Chapter 12 - Astra Returns to Kakariko Village
Chapter 13 - A Possible Future?
Chapter 14 - Astra Returns to Hateno Village
Chapter 15 - Anxious Awaiting
Chapter 16 - Astra Journeys to Akkala
Chapter 17 - A New Life
Chapter 18 - Astra Meets Jerrin
Chapter 19 - Welcome Home!
Chapter 20 - Astra meets Kass
Chapter 21 - Astra Visits Gerudo Town
Chapter 22 - Astra Meets Goron Chief Yun
Chapter 23 - Family Changes
Chapter 24 - Astra Visits the Thyphlo Ruins
Chapter 25 - Memories and Nightmares
Chapter 26 - Astra Gets a Scolding
Chapter 27 - Gossip
Chapter 28 - Like Father Like Daughter
Chapter 29 - Yiga Clan Hideout
Chapter 30 - Near and Far
Chapter 31 - Attack on the Yiga Clan
Chapter 32 - Childish Behavior
Chapter 33 - Princess Coronation
Chapter 34 - Clearing the Air
Chapter 35 - Washing Away Regrets
Chapter 36 - Revisiting Riju
Chapter 37 - Astra Departs Gerudo Town
Chapter 38 - Coping with Change
Chapter 40 - Astra Visits Ruta
Chapter 41 - Mipha's Diary Lost Pages
Chapter 42 - Ancient Energy Miracle
Chapter 43 - Am I Still Me?
Chapter 44 - Spreading the News
Chapter 45 - Bonding and Memories
Chapter 46 - Moving On
Chapter 47 - Mushroom Memory
Chapter 48 - Small Decisions
Chapter 49 - Lake Akkala
Chapter 50 - Getting Acquainted
Chapter 51 - Memory and Princess Power
Chapter 52 - Bad Choices
Chapter 53 - Combat Training Plans
Chapter 54 - Building Good Relations
Chapter 55 - Meeting the Family
Chapter 56 - Getting Better Acquainted
Chapter 57 - Echolocation
Chapter 58 - Mood Swings
Chapter 59 - Just Desserts
Chapter 60 - Explaining Astra
Chapter 61 - Music of the Water

Chapter 39 - New Time with Old Friends

140 0 2
By Andremoi_88

Summary: Link continues his adjustment to life as a Zora, reminisces a bit, and visits Zelda with Mipha.

It was early morning in Zora's Domain as Mipha, Mila, Midon, and Lapha joined each other for breakfast in their house by Mikau Lake.

"I'm pretty sure it's your turn to catch breakfast, Midon," said Mila.

"Only pretty sure, Mi?" said Midon. "So, you admit you're not infallible anymore? I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. Don't you remember I caught fish for everyone last time?"

"And don't you remember why? It was because you lost a race, and that doesn't change your normal turn to catch breakfast," said Mila.

"Let me just catch today's breakfast," said Lapha as she rose from the table. "By the time you two settle your disagreement, it will be lunchtime, and Midon and I have a morning staff meeting with Dr. Purah at the Royal Ancient Tech Lab."

"Hooray! Dr. Lapha to the rescue!" laughed Midon.

"Thank you, Lapha," said Mipha as Lapha was leaving. "I'm glad that's settled. I have a morning meeting myself today."

"And I have a morning meeting at the Hyrule Castle library," said Mila as they waited for Lapha to return with the fish. "And by the way, Midon, don't think Laff diving in for you this morning changes anything. It's still your turn next time. Maybe you should create a Tab app to keep track of it."

"Very funny, Sis," said Midon. "Maybe you should work on the history of catching breakfast."

Then they both laughed after sticking their tongues out at each other.

"You're both so persistent, just like your Dad," laughed Mipha.

"And we both enjoy teasing those we love, just like our Mom," said Mila. "We inherited the best from both of you."

A few minutes later, Lapha returned with five Hyrule Bass, put one on ice in the kitchen, and brought the rest to the table.

"I left Dad's on ice," said Lapha. "Is he okay, Mom? He's been missing breakfast with the rest of us lately."

"He's doing fine," said Mipha. "We can't be sure, but I think he's simply wading through another wave of recovery as he fully transitions to being one of us. The scientists in charge said it would be a slow process, but I think he's improving. As you know, your father used to have nightmares at first as his mind struggled to reconcile itself to his new body. Those finally floated away, but I could tell his sleep was still troubled sometimes. Lately, his sleep has been longer and deeper, which is healthier for him."

"That sounds encouraging, Mom," said Mila. "Dad's mind has gone through so much trauma it's no wonder it needs extra time to heal."

"With the Shrine of Restoration experience and all the time travel splits and such, I'm amazed Dad can even remember who we are and have true feelings for any of us," said Midon after swallowing a bite of fish.

"Honestly, Midon, are you as witless as a snail?" exclaimed Mila. "How can you be so tactless as to say that in front of Mom? Don't you know how painful a subject that was for her?"

"It's fine, sweetheart, calm down," said Mipha as she patted Mila's hand. "Your father remembers us quite well now and loves us all dearly. My worries about his memory loss and its effect on our feelings for each other are old history. So I'm not upset, Midon. Let's enjoy our breakfast together."

By the time they finished breakfast, it was time for Mila, Midon, and Lapha to catch the next northbound ferry and Mipha to meet with King Dorephan. They exchanged goodbye hugs, and after the other three left, Mipha quietly peeked into her bedroom to make sure Link was alright. He was still sound asleep floating in their slumber pool, so she left the house and headed down the path to the throne room, leaving Link a Tab message on the way. And she also took a moment to check in with the royal guard.

It was a sunny mid-morning by the time Link opened his eyes to find himself floating alone in Mipha's and his bedroom slumber pool.

"I must have overslept again," Link muttered to himself while shaking his head - forgetting about his tail fin and sending water sloshing over the pool's edge from his sudden movement.

"And I still have Hylian habits," he laughed. "Well, at least Mipha didn't see it to tease me."

Not that he minded Mipha's teasing, of course. It was always good-natured and done in fun, and he teased her back whenever he could. They loved each other so very much, and both of them knew it, so no amount of teasing could hurt their feelings. But it was funny how Mipha was so much better at finding things to tease him about than vice versa.

Anyway, Link realized he had been oversleeping of late, and he paused to ponder why. Was it normal at this stage of his body's development to need more sleep?

The North Hyrule Sheikah, who had overseen his Zora transformation, had said preserving his Hylian memory during the process would make it more difficult for his mind and body to harmonize, as they put it. One scientist had said to think of it as if his mind and body were old friends getting reacquainted after a long absence, during which a good deal had changed. But how long this harmonization would take nobody knew since he was a unique test subject.

In any case, the alternative of giving up his memory again had been out of the question for him. He may have forgotten many things in his life, but not the pain of trying to recover his lost memories. And so a longer healing process was a price he was more than willing to pay to keep his memory and feelings for Mipha and his family intact. So, perhaps the greater need for sleep had something to do with his recovery.

Or perhaps everyone was simply overthinking all this. Maybe he was sleeping longer because his body felt more at home in the water now, and sleeping in it was more restful.

Whatever the reason, he felt fully rested and ready to start the new day. However, the house seemed unusually quiet as Link climbed out of the water. And upon looking at his Tab, the explanation lay in a message from Mipha.

Good morning, sweetheart!

At least, I hope it's still morning!

You looked so peaceful in your sleep that it seemed a pity to wake you. And the North Hyrule scientists said deep, restful sleep was good for your mind and would help it grow better aligned with your new body. You remember that, right?

Father wanted to meet with me this morning on some routine matters, so I'll be with him. Mila, Midon, and Lapha caught a ferry to Hyrule Castle and the Royal Ancient Tech Lab. And as you know, Linky and his family are back in North Hyrule for Tara's schooling. So, you have the house all to yourself.

Lapha was sweet enough to leave a Hyrule Bass on ice for you in the kitchen. Enjoy! See you after my meeting, and please keep out of trouble in the meantime.

Love you, my handsome husband!

"Love you too, my beautiful wife, and I'm finally awake," Link messaged back, not expecting an answer, as he knew Mipha was probably busy in a meeting.

Link made his way to the kitchen, and the fish was still fresh and quite tasty. He read through his Tab as he ate, but there was nothing much of any importance. He had no other messages, and Hyrule's news was uneventful. Bab's Babble Bubble, the gossip newsletter Midon had urged him to subscribe to, had no information about anyone he knew, save a brief mention about the Octo Rocks band's next performance. He supposed his unfamiliarity with the newsletter's contents was hardly surprising since the author was from North Hyrule, and her newsletter was aimed at the younger generation.

After cleaning up after breakfast, Link thought he would do some hiking for a change. He hadn't wandered around the Domain on his own in some time, something he did quite a bit before he and Mipha married. But, come to think of it, since his Zora transformation, Mipha had always insisted on accompanying him wherever he went. He realized she must be looking out for him, as she had done almost his whole life, and he smiled, thinking how loving she was and how unique their relationship was. But maybe now Mipha felt he was finally well enough to be on his own.

When Link was about to leave and opened the door to their house, however, he was startled to see a Zora guard standing there. And not just any guard.

"Captain ... uh, Gaddison!? What are you doing here?" Link exclaimed in surprise.

"Are we being formal today, Prince Link?" laughed Gaddison. "Good morning to you too, and I'm glad you're finally awake. It was getting a little boring waiting out here."

"Sorry, Gaddy, good morning," laughed Link. "I was startled that anyone was here, and your Captain's armor caught my eye before I realized it was you. But why are you here?"

"Mipha asked for one of the guards to keep an eye on you if you left the house. At the time, I was the Captain on duty, and when she found that out, she thought I would be perfect, as a familiar face would be a better companion for you."

"Keep an eye on me? But did she say why?"

"I think she's still concerned about you being out on your own in your new body and over-exerting yourself or something," said Gaddison. "She said having someone with you when she can't be there will give her peace of mind. And you want her to have peace of mind, right?"

Link burst out laughing, then had to explain himself to avoid seeming rude.

"I'm sorry, Gaddy, I'm not laughing at you," said Link as he gradually recovered his composure. "It's just that the expression 'peace of mind' reminded me of something. Whenever I used that expression in conversation with Mipha, she would ask me if I was sure I didn't mean 'piece of mind,' like a part of my memory. She likes to tease me about my memory loss and especially that I forgot about our relationship at one point."

"Funny!" laughed Gaddison. "Maybe she knew you would laugh when I repeated what she said. She's very clever."

"Don't I know it! But yes, it's fine," said Link. "And I certainly didn't mean to imply your company is unwelcome. Quite the contrary. It's always fun getting together with my old Big Bad Bazz Brigade friends."

"Fun for us too. Where were you planning to go today, Link?"

"I was thinking of doing some hiking, maybe paying a visit to the top of Ja'Abu Ridge for a change."

"Great," said Gaddison. "It's easier if we start our climb using the stairs to East Reservoir Lake and swim to the southeast pier. We can get in some swimming that way, too."

It was a short walk from Mikau Lake through a grove of evergreen trees to the long stairwell that led up to East Reservoir Lake. As they walked together, Link couldn't help but notice that Gaddison looked much more attractive than he remembered her. She was quite pretty, and he imagined that was because he was seeing her as one Zora to another now. Obviously, that aspect of his mind seemed to have no trouble harmonizing! He imagined such feelings of attraction must be a primal instinct critical to the race's survival. So his mind's conversion would give it priority. Mipha, of course, he found even more stunningly beautiful now, too, another fortunate consequence of his transformation. He remembered the first time he saw Mipha as Zora to Zora when they were swimming near Lurelin Village. It was evening, and they were...

"You're very quiet, Link," said Gaddison, interrupting his thoughts and making him realize he was staring at her. "Something floating through your mind you'd like to share?"

"Oh, sorry, I was just thinking about how much being a Zora has changed me both inside and outside," said Link as he felt himself blushing and hoped Gaddison didn't notice.

"I see," laughed Gaddison. "I can sense you've changed inside, and I think our Brigade will enjoy having another reunion to celebrate the new you."

When they reached East Reservoir Lake, they dove in, and it was a long refreshing swim past Ruta to the southeast pier. Link half expected Ruta to bellow at him for swimming alone with another female Zora, but Ruta remained silent. After reaching the dock, they climbed out of the water and began heading up the plateau together.

"Here comes the tiring part," laughed Gaddison.

"I think it will be worth it," laughed Link.

Three squirrels scampered away into the underbrush as Link and Gaddison made their way up the gently sloping, grassy area to the east of the pier.

"What made you want to come here?" asked Gaddison as they climbed together.

"I don't really know," said Link. "I usually like hiking west of the Domain, visiting places such as Veiled Falls or Ralis Pond. Maybe I have a subconscious urge to view the sea from here."

"That's understandable for the new you inside," Gaddison nodded. "We all have primal urges about water."

They turned to the southeast and climbed up the steeper gray rocky cliff face until they reached the top. Then walked down an incline to a small grassy area below, scaring away an orange and white Grassland Fox foraging there.

The view from the eastern side of the Ja'Abu Ridge was indeed impressive. Majestic Mount Lanayru was directly to the south. The Horon Lagoon, Lanayru Bay, and the vast Lanayru Sea lay to the southeast. A rainbow arched across the sea at the moment, hovering amidst some gray clouds that drifted to the south.

"All that water looks so inviting!" said Gaddison. "This is a fine view."

"Yes, I feel it too," said Link. "Part of the new inner me."

After taking in the view for several minutes, Link spoke up again.

"This may sound like a silly question," said Link. "But do you recall how I came to be friends with you, Bazz, and Rivan? I asked Mipha once, but she didn't really know, saying 'fish of a fin school and swim,' and she was not surprised reckless delinquents would find each other's company. I can't remember much of my childhood."

"That's sad. I heard your battle with Ganon was so terrible it permanently damaged your memory. And you're right. Mipha was often displeased with us, particularly if our behavior put you in danger. Well, even though it's been some time, I still remember how we first met."

"It was that memorable?" Link asked.

"Yes, quite," laughed Gaddison. "First, some background, though. As you know, Bazz's father is Seggin, and he was called the Demon Sergeant because of his great skill in defeating enemies. Bazz looked up to his father, of course, and liked to pretend he was a great warrior too. We formed a brigade under Bazz's leadership and would go on pretend adventures together. We would use thick tree branches as spears and sometimes spar with each other in pretend battles. Bazz would almost always win unless Rivan or I got in a lucky blow. Anyway, one day the three of us were having a mock battle sparring with each other, and you were there all alone watching us. Let me try to reenact the scene."

"You got me, Bazz. I yield," said Rivan as Bazz pressed the tip of his stick against Rivan's chest.

"I guess I'm just too good," said Bazz. "Want to go again, Heroine?"

"No, my fins are still drooping from our last battle," said Gaddison. "I need more rest time."

Bazz looked around and noticed the small Hylian boy who had come to the Domain before in the company of a group of outsiders to meet the royal family and some other adults. He was sitting alone and watching them play.

"Hey! Would you like to play with us?" Bazz called out to the Hylian boy.

"Sure," the Hylian boy said, coming over to them.

"I'm Bazz, the son of Demon Sergeant Seggin and the leader of our group. And this is Gaddison and Rivan."

"I'm Link," said the Hylian boy.

"I guess you saw us sparring using these branches as spears," said Bazz. "Would you like to take a dive at it?"

"Sure," said Link. "Though I'm more familiar with a sword than a spear."

"Here, you can use mine," said Rivan as he handed Link his branch and instructed him how best to grip it. "It's best to hold it like this. That way, you can block as well as attack."

"Got it," said Link as he practiced moving the branch a few times to get the feel of it.

"Okay, ready?" said Bazz. "And don't worry, I won't hurt you."

Link nodded, and Bazz struck out with his branch. Link successfully blocked his first blow.

"You seem to have the idea," said Bazz. "Now, I'll come at you with full force."

Bazz lunged forward, and Link dodged his second attack. But as he did so, Link unleashed a flurry of blows so fast his arms were a blur. Bazz was knocked to the ground, and his branch flew from his hands.

"Are you okay?" said Link as he offered his hand to help Bazz rise from the ground while Rivan and Gaddison stared with open mouths.

"Yes, I'm fine. But blessed Nayru, Link, where did you learn to fight like that?"

"It's a gift, I guess," said Link. "I don't know how I came to be able to move so fast when I dodge an attack."

"Would you like to join our brigade?" Bazz asked. "We have play battles and go on adventures. And we also swim together and play games. It will be fun, and I noticed you don't seem to have anyone else to play with."

"Sure, it does sound like fun," said Link.

"Okay," said Bazz, lowering his voice. "We have a secret password. The response to 'fluffy white clouds, clear blue ...' is 'Zora.' Got it?"

Link smiled and nodded.

"And maybe when we're not too busy playing, you could teach me some of your combat techniques," said Bazz.

"Well, that's how I remember you joining our group. Oh, it must be over 55 years ago now," said Gaddison.

"I don't remember any of that, but I'm glad I didn't hurt Bazz," said Link.

"No, he was fine. Only his pride was hurt," laughed Gaddison. "Anyway, I think you had a pretty normal childhood during your time here. You went swimming with Bazz, Rivan, and me. We pretended to go on combat missions and fight make-believe monsters and such. I think all the combat playing contributed to Bazz, Rivan, and I choosing to become guards later in life. We were mischievous and sometimes got into trouble over our pranks, some of which we told you about at our reunions. But we also played normal kid games like tag or hide and seek. After you got older, which happened pretty fast, you being a Hylian and all back then, you started spending more time with Kodah and especially Mipha and less time with us."

"I remember very little of that, too," said Link. "Only what people told me. But thanks for sharing some memories."

They stared out at the sea together for a few more minutes.

"I wonder how different it would have been if I was already a Zora and grew up here?" Link asked. "I guess that's impossible to answer."

"I guess if you were a Zora back then, we might have played more water games together. I assume you would still be the adventurous type and excel at combat. But being a Hylian, you were an excellent influence on the rest of us. It was a valuable experience for Bazz, Rivan, and me that we spent more time on land. We learned to be more active on land and grew better at combat where our enemies would be."

"I can see that," said Link as he nodded. "But I wonder how my life would have changed if I grew up here. Would Mipha and I have still started out as good friends? Maybe things would have been very different for me now."

"Most likely, but who can say?" said Gaddison. "Anyway, I think you got the best of both worlds, Link, growing up and saving Hyrule as a Hylian, then being able to live out your life as one of us with the person you love. And don't forget the beautiful family you have. You could do a lot worse in life."

"Very true. I know I should count my blessings, and I do," said Link with a sigh. "Speaking of which, after we finish enjoying the view, on the way back, I want to pick some Blue Nightshade flowers for Mipha. I know they're her favorite, and I think she'll like them."

"Sweet," said Gaddison. "We passed several not far back, and they're beautiful at night."

When they decided to leave and passed the area Gaddison mentioned, Link picked a handful of flowers, then he and Gaddison made their way back toward his house. Link swam on his back across East Reservoir Lake to avoid ruining the flowers. And Mipha was already home when they arrived. She greeted them at the door.

"Thanks for looking after him, Gaddison," said Mipha.

"It was my pleasure, Mipha, and I can report that your husband was on his best behavior and caused no trouble at all," said Gaddison with a smile.

Then she bid them goodbye and left.

"Oh, here, these are for you, sweetheart," said Link as he presented Mipha with the flowers. "I love you very, very much!"

"How sweet! I love you too," said Mipha as she leaned forward, and they kissed. "And if I can believe Gaddison's report, you did nothing wrong this time to prompt getting me flowers. Let me put them in water. Is there any special reason for them?"

"I was just thinking about how fortunate I am to be with you," said Link as they entered the house. "I was speculating if we would still be together had I been a Zora from birth."

"Hmm, excellent question," said Mipha. "Let me think about that. Should we assume you still have your gorgeous, big blue eyes?"

"My eyes? Does that really matter? Are you saying my life with you might depend on my eyes?"

"Well, that's one of the things that first attracted me to you, sweetheart," said Mipha as she caressed his cheek. "You did read that part of my diary, remember?"

"Um, yes, how can I forget after all the grief you gave me about it?" laughed Link.

"But seriously, I'd like to believe we would still be together somehow, no matter what," said Mipha. "We just probably would have married a bit later in life."

"I would like to believe that, too. By the way, how was your meeting?"

"Totally routine and something that could have been easily accomplished by Tab," said Mipha. "But Father is used to discussing matters in person, and I want to support him. By the way, you remember we're visiting Zelda tonight, right?"

"Honestly, no, I forgot," said Link. "I must be subconsciously trying not to think about it."

"You need to work on your courage, sweetheart," said Mipha. "But I'll help you."

The rest of the day was uneventful until Mipha and Link disembarked from a ferry at Hyrule Castle. Queen Zelda was expecting them, of course, and a guard was awaiting their arrival at the dock.

"Princess Mipha and Prince Link, welcome! Her Majesty is expecting you in the family dining room. Please follow me."

"Now, don't be nervous, sweetheart," said Mipha as she squeezed Link's hand, and they followed the guard. "I would tell you to calm your nerves by taking a deep Hylian breath, but you can't do that anymore, can you?"

"Very funny," laughed Link. "At least your sense of humor is comforting."

When they reached the family dining room, Zelda at once stood up and greeted them, hugging them each in turn.

"Mipha, great to see you again," said Zelda. "And Link, it's been way too long and about time! I thought I was going to have to send the Sheikah on a secret mission to kidnap you both to get you to visit. And Link, you look every bit as good as the picture Mila sent me of you and Mipha holding hands right after your transformation. That must be over a year ago by now. Your royal champion blue color suits you well too!"

"Thanks, Zelda," said Link. "It has been too long, and I admit it's my fault."

"My dear husband is too shy about himself," said Mipha. "But he's getting over it."

"And well, he should!" said Zelda. "He looks great. Come, let's all sit down and have dinner. I thought it best on this first visit to have just the three of us here. But my daughter, Zelda, and her husband, Randall, asked me to say hello and hope to see you both on a future visit. I think you'll be surprised at how big my grandson Horwell is getting. And your two grandchildren, Tara and Lanka, must be getting big too."

"They are, and Tara is cute taking care of her little brother," said Mipha.

"You should ask your son Link to bring them here," said Zelda. "Those underwater rings I had installed when your children were small are still in place around the castle moat. So they could play there."

"It's a thought," said Link.

"You know, speaking of your children, I was thinking about how well they are all doing. They're a credit to you as parents," said Zelda. "Mila has distinguished herself with historical research. Lapha with science, working closely with Dr. Purah. Midon has a solid reputation in Tab app development. And your son Link distinguished himself in the royal guard and now is married to North Hyrule royalty."

"We are very proud of all of them," said Mipha.

"And we're happy they each found their own way," said Link. "We never steered them to do something we wanted."

Then Link realized he might have touched a nerve with his last remark, for he remembered how much Zelda sometimes resented having her own path in life laid out for her. But if he had spoken without thinking, as he often did, Zelda ignored it, for she just smiled and continued the conversation.

"Yes, you even hid from me that your son had enlisted in the Hyrule Army to make sure he did not receive any special treatment," said Zelda. "Luckily, he got into a fight defending his girlfriend, and his name came to our attention. Though I think we would have found out eventually, anyway."

"Yes, I'm sure word would get around," said Link. "Dinner is delicious, by the way, thank you."

"Yes, this fish is delicious, Zelda," said Mipha. "There is just a hint of spice which blends in well with its natural flavor."

"Yes, we used just a sprinkle of all that new Goron Spice Daruk gave us," laughed Zelda. "It's quite tasty in small amounts. I'm afraid to tell Daruk how much we love it, or he will give us some more, and I think we already have enough to last ages."

The dinner lasted well into the evening, and Zelda insisted they stay the night when the first sound of a thunderstorm occurred.

"Your old room, Link, is always kept ready in case you or your son wish to stay the night," said Zelda. "And there is no way you two are leaving when there's lightning outside, ferry or not."

"That's very kind of you, Zelda," said Mipha.

Then Mipha's Tab buzzed twice in succession.

"Forgive me, that was Mila asking if we were alright and Sidon asking a question," said Mipha. "I know where the room is and will go on ahead and answer them both from there. But, Link, why don't you stay while I deal with these messages and spend a bit more time with Zelda."

"Oh, sure, if that's okay," said Link.

"Goodnight, Zelda, and thanks for having us."

"Goodnight, Mipha, and thank you for coming," said Zelda as they hugged.

Mipha left, and then Zelda at once turned to Link.

"You know you hurt my feelings, don't you?"

"I did? I didn't mean to, Zelda," said Link.

"Your daughter Mila told me you were reluctant to visit me because you thought I would be unhappy over your Zora transformation," said Zelda. "I thought you knew me better than that, Link. I thought you knew that you and I are bound spiritually, and you will always be special to me no matter what you look like."

"I ... well, I do know we're special to each other, Zelda, and always will be," said Link. "But I remembered the first time I transformed to fight that underwater blight creature. You wanted me to return to being a Hylian afterward. I thought you might still feel that way, though you would hide your true feelings out of consideration."

"Fair enough," said Zelda. "But I already apologized for my poor judgment that first time and hoped you would accept it."

"And I do," said Link. "I guess I have my share of poor judgment, too, in not realizing how you must feel."

Then they looked into each other's eyes for a moment, and both burst out laughing.

"The hero of Hyrule and its Queen celebrating each other's poor judgment," laughed Zelda. "We're quite a team!"

"That we are!" laughed Link.

"Well, now that we've cleared the air or calmed the waters, as you Zoras say, I feel much better," said Zelda.

"I do, too," said Link. "I feel so silly for how I behaved."

Then they reached out and embraced.

"I have to get used to your new height," said Zelda after they ended their hug. "You used to be shorter than me. Now we should say goodnight. I'm sure Mipha is finished with her messages by now. But promise you will visit more often."

"I promise, and goodnight, Zelda," said Link.

Link made his way back to his old room to the sound of thunder still rumbling outside. When he arrived, Mipha was already in the slumber pool there. So Link joined her at once.

"Oh! Saltwater," said Link as he settled into the water. "I guess they left the room the way Tila likes it."

"I'm glad you can tell the difference now," said Mipha. "It's just as easy to sleep in. Did you and Zelda have a pleasant talk?"

"Yes, we settled things," said Link. "And I'm glad we did."

"I wanted to give you two some alone time, and the messages were a perfect excuse," said Mipha. "I'm also happy everything is settled between you two."

There was a brief flash of light at the window and another rumble of thunder from outside the castle walls.

"I feel like I'm floating a bit higher in the water," said Link.

"We both are," said Mipha. "Our bodies are at the same level."

Then they looked into each other's eyes.

"I'm not very sleepy yet," said Link as he felt a warm feeling inside. "I woke up quite late."

"I'm not either," said Mipha as she felt a warm feeling as well. "I spent the morning inactive, attending a meeting."

They smiled, reached out, and embraced, then began kissing to the sound of rain beating against the window.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.2K 359 50
In an AU, on the day of the Great Calamity, Mipha put her love for Link and concern for Zelda ahead of Daruk's plan to rush to her Divine Beast. This...
437 30 16
During my extended break from writing, I've been playing a lot of Breath of the Wild. With Tears of the Kingdom just around the corner, I figured it...
4.7K 121 64
{This is the 4th book to my 1st book 'Grace and Love'. Obvious spoilers for book 3} What happened in the time while Link and Zelda were gone? What ha...
108K 5K 44
((read whole description to know what you're getting into xD)) There is a secret hiding in the nation of Hyrule. For centuries this land has been a...