matilda / j.avery

kiraalicex tarafından

Mae Wigan never expected to actually become a surgeon after she left the army. Yes she did the training, yes... Daha Fazla

zero - cast
one - freedom day
two - major
three - guests
four - first day
five - sparks
six - aWkWaRd
seven - spooky
eight - truth
nine - meetings and greetings
ten - ten things
twelve - the ex
thirteen - surgery
fourteen - the big day
fifteen - pressure
sixteen - just in case
seventeen - mother
eighteen - harriet
nineteen - moving
twenty - reunion
twenty one - fox
twenty two - hard truth
twenty three - family vacation
twenty four - reality
twenty five - mr and mrs
twenty six - man up

eleven - goodbyes

2.6K 82 9
kiraalicex tarafından

Mae carefully puts the red lipstick she packed on, checking her hair one last time before she heads out of the bathroom. Jackson exits the bedroom at the same time, black suit donning his body. "You ready?" He asks.

Mae nods small. "If that's the word for it then yeah. You sure this is okay?" She looks at the midi length black dress she wears.

"You look lovely." He smiles. "Ty would be proud."

"He'd be pissed, I always promised I'd dress up as the grim reaper for his funeral and point to people to say 'you're next'." She jokes.

Jackson smirks. "I'm a little disappointed you didn't do it."

"MJ already wants my head, better not give her another reason." She forces a smile.

He takes her hand. "Let's not worry about MJ today, okay?"

"Easier said than done." She mumbles as they head to the elevator; Jackson rented a really fancy hotel despite her protests.

He takes her hand as they stand in silence. "I know it's not the time but..." He slowly begins, looking at their hands.  "But I'm thinking we should talk soon. About what comes next."

Mae looks at their hands too. "I knee this was coming eventually... just... let me get today out of the way."

"Absolutely. All the time you need, okay?" He smiles warmly and steps off the elevator.

They drive in a comfortable silence, her hand on his thigh as he drives. Mae feels her heart picking up pace as they near the cemetery. She sits up and shifts in her seat, taking a deep breath. "I can't-"

"You can. You've come this far. And I'm right beside you." Jackson says, grabbing her hand in his. He kisses it before jumping out and coming round, opening her door. He takes her hand again and kisses her head. "Come on. Deep breaths."

Mae grips his hand and forearm, walking close to his side, as they head over to where everyone has already gathered. MJ refuses to even look at her but Bentley gives her a careful hug, as best he can on crutches. Her and Jackson then stand nearer the front.

Mae manages to keep it together as the service goes on. She's thankful his family let her throw some dirty and a rose, MJ and Bentley doing the same. Jackson stays right at her side, hand on her hip or holding hers. He doesn't push when she stays frozen as everyone begins to leave. Soon enough, Jackson, Mae, MJ and Bentley are the only ones left.

Mae kneels down and takes a shaky breath, looking down at the coffin. "I love you, Tyler." She whispers.

"Love him enough to let him die?" MJ mutters.

Mae finally loses it; she's managed to keep it together and bite her tongue but no longer. She glares as she stands. "I did what he wanted!" She snaps.

"He was by your side every day when you were in the hospital. He wouldn't take no for an answer and he definitely wouldn't have turned you off if it came to it!" MJ snaps.

"He made me promise! This is what he wanted, Margaret. He made me promise. He reminded me regularly about it, and I'm sorry you don't agree with it but it isn't your choice! He weighed up the chances!" She snaps, shaking her head. She storms off towards the car.

Jackson watches for a moment before glancing at MJ who glares at the dirt. "I know how it feels." He begins.

"I don't think it's the time, man." Bentley shakes his head.

"It is. Trust me." Jackson glances at him. "My mentor, Mark. He was an incredible man, an inspiration to me. He's the reason I am who I am... he was in a bad accident many years ago. When he briefly gained consciousness he experienced what we call the surge - that's where a patient gets a burst of energy before they decline. In that time, he signed papers that said essentially what Mae's do and Tyler's did. He didn't want to be on a vent either. He- he didn't tell anyone close to him. He knew they wouldn't understand, they'd fight. It was the last decision he could choose to make for himself. I wonder, in some way this was their last choice." He says gently, backing up a few steps before he turns and walks away. He finds Mae at the car, knelt by it taking deep breaths.

She looks at him as he squats down beside her. "I-Im okay."

"I know." He smiles gently. "I just wanted a closer look at the gravel." He winks.

Mae giggles, hiccuping. She takes a deep breath and exhales slowly. "Can we get out of here? I-I can't face the wake."

"No sweat." He nods. "Shall we book an earlier flight home?"

"Could we... drive?" She wonders.

Jacksons eyebrows shoot up. "Nevada to Seattle is like 18 hours. You want to drive 18 solid hours?"

Mae smiles a little. "Maybe not solid but we could split it? Gives us time to talk... maybe do a couple of datey things?" She says slowly.

Jackson smiles. "Oh that's where we're heading? I thought we absolutely hated each other."

She shoves him playfully. "I despise you, don't worry."

He smiles and pulls her to stand with him. "If you want to drive we will drive." He promises. "But we need a more comfortable rental."

"Deal."

-

"You're driving?" Teddy asks shocked.

Mae smiles a little as she holds the phone to her ear, looking at the chip shelf. "Yeah, we're almost half way. Left at like 6 am." She says, popping a few bags in her basket. "We had the talk, Teddy."

"The talk!?" She gasps.

"Yep."

"And!?"

"And... I think we're going to make a go of things. At least for now. Just to see what happens. But we both agree that if it goes wrong then there is no hard feelings and we will be friends the way we were." Mae glances out to see Jackson still at the pump. "I feel like a teenager girl - I just want to scream it to the world." She admits.

"That's totally understandable. We never get to show these emotions as vets, we get told to toughen up." She says gently. "I'm so glad you guys have decided to at least try. I've known Jackson long enough to know this is good for him."

"I hope so. I'll call you when I'm home, okay?" She says, quickly hanging up as Jackson comes over.

He places a few Red Bulls in the basket. "Secret conversations already?" He smirks.

"Absolutely, plotting your demise already." She smiles. "Those are bad for you, yknow."

"So are the 4 Monsters you got there, sweetie." He winks. "Imma grab some slim Jim's then we're good to go."

"Aye aye captain." She playfully salutes, heading to pay. She throws everything into her bag and goes to pay looking over as Jackson with a playful glare as he quickly leans over with a 50. "Oh honey, that is not how this relationship will go, I assure you."

"You wish." He kisses her cheek and runs out to the car.

The girl at the cashier can't be much younger than Mae. She glances out at Jackson. "That is one handsome man."

"I am fully aware." She laughs.

"You guys been together long?" She asks.

Mae checks her watch. "Technically? Only 6 hours and 23 minutes."

"You guys give off the vibe of being old lovers." She smiles. "Good luck."

"Thank you." She giggles, heading out. She climbs into the Jeep and throws the snacks into the back. "Alrighty."

"You got a message... it popped up on the Bluetooth thing." He admits sheepishly. "I didn't snoop, I swear."

"It's cool... I think. Let me check." She leans back and grabs her phone out. Her eyebrows shoot up. "It's MJ."

"Good or bad?"

Mae takes a deep breath. "Mae, I think I should apologise for my actions. Its been a stressful time with Bentley and losing Ty... he was our brother, our fourth amigo. The thought of having to make those decisions is sickening but to realise you had both already thought about it is worse. To think I almost came close to losing you makes me feel shaken to my core. I hope to try and understand your view but give me time. We're all adjusting to a huge change. Let me know when you're home safe. MJ."

"I never thought of MJ as mature like that." He admits.

"She added, ps thank Jackson. And share my condolences. What does she mean by that?" Mae wonders with a frown.

Jackson smiles small. "Did I ever tell you why I chose plastics?"

"To look at boobs all way?" She teases.

He rolls his eyes playfully. "Here, go to a folder called 'old times'." He hands his phone over. "The first two photos - I know exactly where they are, I look at them often." He admits blushing as she raises an eyebrow.

"Who is he?" She glances over.

"That was Mark Sloan."

"Sloan like the hospital?" Mae asks curiously.

Jackson nods, smiling. "He was an incredible guy... once you got past the jackass exterior. And he was one of the best plastic surgeons of his time. He fought for me like no one else ever had, helped me become the man I am today. I don't know who Jackson Avery would be without having met him."

Mae smiles. "He's important to you." She guesses.

He nods. "Very much so. I shared his story with MJ. Figured it could help." He admits. "Mark signed papers very much like yours during a surge-"

"I'm so sorry." Mae frowns. She knows what 'the surge' means.

"He was conscious so briefly but he knew what he wanted. I always think he knew it was coming. Anyway - I was so angry he did it. So angry. But over time I could see why he did - Mark Sloan didnt deserve to be hooked up for life on a vent. He deserved to be set free." He sighs. "Same as most people, especially if medically speaking they're gone."

Mae nods small. She sets the phone in the console and rubs his knee. "Thank you... no one's ever fought in my corner."

He smiles. "You're welcome."

"Now come on. I want to hear more about this incredible jackass, Mark Sloan. And young Avery." She giggles.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

1.2M 29.5K 70
"I don't get it." He shook his head at me, his frustration clear in his eyes. "Why can't you just let yourself be happy, for once?" "What makes you t...
25.9K 809 38
Meredith Grey, double board certified surgeon in both neuro and general. She is a child prodigy and has been offered chief at Seattle Grace stealing...
162K 2.7K 85
COMPLETED | SEQUEL TO "NO TIME" | Ellie Forrest has been at Seattle Grace/Mercy West for a few years now, and the job is exactly what she hoped for a...
1.6M 41.3K 70
𝐇𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐒 𝐒𝐎 𝐆𝐎𝐎𝐃 | grey's anatomy 𝐉𝐀𝐂𝐊𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘 when their love hurts so good because it's complicated. 𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐢𝐱 - �...