You can't be my mum (a Lucy B...

By lucybronzeengwnt

Rosie is a struggling teenager With abusive parents who won't allow her to play football, she spends every da... More

A/N
Chapter 1 - pain is only temporary
Chapter 2 - hope?
Chapter 3 - if only you knew
Chapter 4 - forever and always
Chapter 5 - what was your name again?
Chapter 6 - bruises
Chapter 7 - call me if you need me
Chapter 8 - you're what?
Chapter 9 - you don't have to apologise
Chapter 10 - I promise
Chapter 11 - you don't have a problem with that do you?
Chapter 12 - why?
Chapter 13 - whatever
Chapter 14 - I had no idea
Chapter 15 - you ready?
Chapter 16 - just a friend
Chapter 17 - every step of the way
Chapter 18 - not yet
Chapter 19 - they were too late
Chapter 20 - for you
Chapter 21 - starstruck
Chapter 22 - just hold me
Chapter 23 - closure
Chapter 24 - I'm just... experienced
Chapter 25 - A home is different to a house
Chapter 26 - the two figures
Chapter 27 - running laps
Chapter 28 - hayfever
Chapter 29 - sirens
Chapter 30 - proud
Chapter 31 - there's cake?!
Chapter 32 - to the moon and back
Chapter 33 - oh shit...
Chapter 34 - do we get a prize?
Chapter 35 - finally
Chapter 36 - grateful
Chapter 37 - together
Chapter 39 - back into the flow
Chapter 40 - this isn't about losing
Chapter 41 - uncomfortable
Chapter 42 - the answer is no
Chapter 43 - left in the dark
Chapter 44 - forgiveness
Chapter 45 - blackmail
Chapter 46 - the end
Thank You
Sequel

Chapter 38 - Mini Bronze-Walsh

6.6K 135 17
By lucybronzeengwnt

Rosie's POV:

Sunday 31st July 2022. Probably the most nervous, excited and speechless I have ever been.

In just under 2 hours, at 5pm tonight, England and Germany would take each other in the hope become the best team in Europe. Germany looking to steal the title for the 9th time and the Lionesses hoping to accomplish the dream of the entire nation. To finally bring football home, men or women's, for the first time in 56 years. 

I don't think it has really sunk in for any of the player and staff that this English team have made it this far. Only one game against old rivals stands in the way of us getting our hands on that trophy. The confidence was through the roof, that we felt ENGLAND was already engraved on it. We were confident, not cocky or arrogant. The was still 90 minutes or even more of football to be played before that dream became a reality. 

Despite the possibility of winning the trophy as a team, there were also personal trophies that the team were in contendment for. Beth Mead was on track to win the golden boot, Mary Earps could receive the golden glove, Player of the Tournament was up for grabs, Player of the Match as well. The fact that the team could be winning all of that on top of the main trophy just shows how much talent the team has. Every single player has contributed to getting to the final. Even if they were on the bench for half a game or the entire game, they still made a difference. 

"you ready to see it?" Leah asked me. I nodded my head eagerly in anticipation of seeing the shirt that had been custom made for me to wear to this game. She held it up to me so I could see the writing on the back, "I love it, thanks for helping me get it sorted". Even though I had imagined the idea, Leah was the one who pulled all of the strings in order for me to have it by today. This shirt wasn't just a normal England shirt. It meant absolutely everything to me and I was so happy that I had it. Leah wrapped me in a side hug, "when are you going to show your mums?". I smiled when she said that. Not only was I incredibly lucky that they accepted me as Lucy's daughter, but as Keira's also. I told her, "now. I think if I show them any later they'll be too focused on the game". She agreed, "good idea. Let's go find them". 

After putting on the shirt, we made our way through the tunnel and out onto the pitch that they would all be playing on very soon. Turning my head, I saw Keira and Lucy sitting side by side in a row of red seats. Keira had her head on Lucy's shoulder, who was pointing at something in the distance. Leah shouted up to them, "come down Wonze". They made their way down the stairs and when they reached us, Keira questioned, "Wonze, really?". Leah smirked, "it's what everyone else calls you". Lucy pointed out, "only fans". Leah shrugged her shoulders, "anyway, Mini Bronze has something to show you". Lucy stood with her arms crossed and groaned playfully, "oh no, this can't be good". Keira playfully punched her arm, "you're so mean". I chuckled at them before taking off my hoodie and turning round. 

Bronze-Walsh 6

Lucy joked, "well that's better than what I thought it was going to be...I love it Rosie". I turned around to face them both, Keira was speechless. I grinned, "I know you both wanted me to have your names on my shirt so I figured I would just have them both". Keira finally managed to get her words back as she squealed, "you have no idea how much I love it". I smiled widely, "I'm so glad. Even though you're not my mum biologically, I still love you so much and wanted you to know that I see you as my mum as much as Luce". She wrapped her arms around my small body and held on tight. Lucy questioned, "why the number 6?". At that moment, Millie and Rach came walking out of the tunnel and Millie shouted, "because it's my number and she loves me that much". I grinned and shook my head, "you wish. I just added yours and Keira's numbers together". Lucy pulled me in for a short but comforting hug as soon as Keira let go of me, "did everyone know about this except us?". I replied, "Leah knew from the very beginning and then I told Beth when it was getting made. Everyone else found out because Beth couldn't keep her big mouth shut, but she made them promise not to tell either of you". They all laughed and Leah said light-heartedly, "I told you not to tell Beth. Honestly, she couldn't keep a secret even if her mouth was glued shut".

1 hours 30 minutes until game

Keira and Lucy set off on a walk around the pitch just as some of the other players came out of the tunnel. They've been doing a lot of talking and walking together recently. Sometimes before breakfast but mainly on an evening after dinner. I understood that they needed to have some alone time together because they are a couple, but it seemed like they were in deep discussion about something. I tried to ask Georgia, but she was just as clueless as me. 

Just as I sat down on one of the bright red seats, Georgia came running up the steps with Ella following closely behind her. They both sat down on either side of me and tried to catch their breath. I asked them, "why were you running?". Georgia explained, "it was a race to see who could find you first". I chuckled and turned to Ella who was frowning, "sorry Tooney, I think G won". She shrugged her shoulders, "she might've beaten me now, but I can beat her in lots of other things...". Georgia laughed and said sarcastically, "like what?". Ella thought about it for a bit before replying, "I'm going to score tonight and you won't". Georgia huffed, "how do you know I won't? I might". Ella said, "I just know". I shook my head lightly, "you two are honestly like children. And honestly I don't care who scores tonight, as long as someone does". They both responded at the same time with, "true".

Ella went off to find Alessia which gave me time to ask Georgia, "have you seen all of the rumours about Luce and Keira going to Barca?". She bit her lip, "yeah, I don't think they're true though". I sighed, "why would the media keep posting stories about it if it wasn't true though?". Georgia placed a hand on my knee and looked in my eyes, "look, Keira's contract doesn't end for another year". I commented, "What about Lucy though? Her contract ran out at the start of the summer and she hasn't found a new club yet". G rubbed her forehead, "I'm honestly not sure. If the rumours were true would you be bothered?". I narrowed my eyes at her, "I don't know. I'd be pissed that they didn't tell me, but I don't think i'd mind moving to a different country". She didn't say anything so I questioned her, "do you think I should ask them about it?". Moving her hand from my leg and placing it on my shoulder as she stood up she said, "yes, but not until after the Euros". I didn't give her any response so she told me, "promise me you won't mention anything about it tonight". I sighed, "fine, I promise". After patting my shoulder, I watched as she made her way down the stairs.

15 minutes until kick-off

"Soph?", my eyes lit up as I saw both sets of grandparents and my aunt and uncle making their way to where I was sitting. Lucy's sister was the first one to engulf me in a huge hug while saying, "Ro Ro, how have you been?". Grinning at her nickname for me, I replied, "I've been good. I'll be bad if we lose though". She chuckled and my uncle Jorge joined in the conversation, "there's not a chance in hell that we're losing this game". Keira's dad then cheered, "we've got it in the bag!". I grinned at my family. For years I had wanted a big family like this, and now I finally had one. To see Keira's family and Lucy's family getting along together so well just made me proud to be part of it. 

As we all got seated in the reserved seats for friends and family of the players, I said, "you only just made it, the team have just gone in after their pre-match warm-ups". Grandma complained, "your uncle thought it would be a good idea to get the tube but they were absolutely rammed so it took forever". I chuckled, "at least you're here now". Keira's dad interrogated everyone with their score predictions around 5 mintutes before kick-off. I said 2:1, Jorge and Keira's mum both said 3:1, Sophie said 1:0 and Keira's dad was hoping for a 4:0 win. If his prediction came true, then it certainly would be an evening to remember. But anything is possible.

And then it was time. 5pm. Kick-off.

After Becky Hill did a performance for the closing ceremony, the players came out and 87,000 people sang the national anthem with them. It felt surreal seeing the huge crowds inside Wembley. The attendance has broken the record for a men's or women's final. None of this would have been possible without the support of England as a country and all of the people that believed in the Lionesses. Thankfully there was rain earlier today, otherwise it would have been very hot temperatures for the girls to play in. England has had a record breaking summer with temperatures reaching up to 40 degrees. Today, however, the temperature was just right to play a final in. 

As of today, Sarina Weigman has never lost a Euros final as a manager but Germany have also never lost a Euros final. Someone's record was about to be broken today no matter what, and I hoped it would be Germany's.

The whistle blew and England started the possession off. An electric atmosphere with the best ever turn out for a women's match. Win or lose, the girls have done the country proud no matter what. A pit of nerves began to form in the bottom of my stomach. I can't imagine what the players are feeling as they play in a sold-out Wembley.

Sophie gripped one of my hands and Keira's dad gripped my other the moment the game began. For the first 15 minutes, there were countless attacks from both sides. You could see that each team was leaving everything out on the pitch, however, England had something Germany didn't. Fans were singing as loudly as possible, cheering England on. A series of corners were given to us, and Lucy got on the end of 2 of them. Unfortunately, they were either off target or a German defender managed to block the ball flying through the air towards the net. 

In the 26th minute, every English person in the stadium had a mini heart attack as the ball was pinged around in front of Mary's goal. No one was able to clear it away, and when they did, Germany claimed a handball. My stomach dropped and I could barely even look at the pitch as VAR checked for a potential penalty. The referee looked at the screen and then walked back on the pitch. It felt like ages before she finally indicated that there was no penalty to be given. Wembley cheered loudly as we had been very lucky there.

Half time came and it was still goaless. Ellen came closest with an attempt that was just above the bar but Germany also had a very promising chance that had to be cleared by Leah. A very intense, nerve-wracking opening half. There was all the play for in the second half. 

At half time, Keira's dad was giving us a very detailed description of what he thought about the match. Jorge joked, "have you changed your prediction from 4:0 yet?". Peter shook his head, "no way. I have belief in these girls". Looking around the stadium, I saw people shoving food and drink down their mouths. I could barely even sit still, nevermind eat something. 

For the remaining minutes of half time, I was crossing and uncrossing both my arms and legs, desperate to ease the nerves. But then something did. Lucy's mum nudged my arm, "there's a girl over there shouting your name". My gaze followed hers to where she was looking. A smile immediately broke out upon my face as I saw Millie and her mum standing a few rows back from our VIP enclosure. Waving towards her, Sophie asked, "Who is she?". I played it off cooly, "just a friend...". She smirked, "just a friend hmm?". Nodding my head, I turned my attention back to Millie and her mum who were walking down the steps towards us. I stood up and climbed under the barrier separating our seats from the general public's. Millie brought me in for a quick hug before asking, "who's shirt are you wearing?". Not understanding why everyone cared who's shirt I was wearing, I turned around so she could see the back, "Ro! That's such a good idea!". Her mum exclaimed, "Rosie darling...that's so...so lovely". I didn't even know they were coming to the game. If I had, maybe I could have arranged for them to sit with us. We passed light conversation for a while until the players from both teams exitted the tunnel. I ducked under the barrier again and placed myself between my grandad and my aunt. However, we weren't sat for long as the entire stadium stood up for a round of applause as the girls resumed their places on the pitch.

Germany started the second half off very strong, as the Lionesses were trying to get back into the rhythm of the game. Attacks were coming forward but thankfully our impeccable defense managed to bring them to a halt. 

The 60th minute was when everything began to heat up. Germany sprang yet another attack but Lucy managed to close it down and regain possession. She passed the ball into the midfield for Keira who fed it to the other side of the pitch to Ella who was making a run towards goal. A defender on her heels and the goal keeper running towards her, she made everything look so easy. Kicking the ball up in the air and lobbing it over the keeper's head. Ella Toone had just scored another important goal in the Euros. Wembley erupted and the crowd went wild. I jumped up on my seat as my family did exactly the same. And I can't lie. I may have even cried a little bit in happiness. An incredibly well-worked goal by England and we were now in front. 

After that goal, it seemed that the atmosphere just went up another level entirely. Wembley was alive and counting down the next 25 minutes until the final whistle blew.

But of course, not everything's that simple. There has to be a dramatic twist otherwise it would just be boring. Unfortunately, the dramatic twist was Germany scoring a goal. 

I have to admit, it was a very good goal. Lina Magull kicked the ball forcefully and it rippled the back of the net - Mary unable to get anywhere near it. It was now 1:1 with 15 minutes remaining. Surely whoever would be to score next would win the tournament.

After their equaliser, England looked lost out on the pitch. They were allowing Germany to have too much space and time on the ball. I brought my hands up to my face as the Germans were trying to attack once again. I couldn't even think about what would happen if they scored this late in the game. Wembley would be absolutely devastated. Despite looking the weaker side, the crowd was trying to give the players an abundance of energy to get through the final minutes. We just had to hold on until then. And thankfully we did. 

Sarina made a tactical decision to make some substitutes: Alex on for Rachel, Jill on for Georiga. Especially for Jill, there was a standing ovation when their names were announced that they were entering the pitch. She was telling me on the bus to Wembley that she played in the last Euros final England were in in 2009. Such an inspiring, experienced player. 

Everyone in the stadium was crossing their fingers as the first half of extra time began. The second handball claim of the game was against us again. Another eternal wait for the referee and VAR to check it over before finally deciding that there was no foul. Once again, we all breathed a sigh of relief as the decision went our way. 

As always, Jill Scott plays with pure passion and agression. Everyone saw how much she cared about England when her face came on the screen shouting, "fuck off you fucking prick" at a German player. Wembley erupted in applause and laughter as even in the tensest moments, you could always count on Jill to lift your spirits. I turned to see both Keira and Lucy's mums looking absolutely stunned at what they had just witnessed. To my right, my grandad Peter was reacting in the complete opposite way, "Go on Jill! You tell those silly Germans!". 

Chloe won a corner, which Lauren took. The ball rocketed through the air and right in front of Chloe. She desperately tried to push it into the goal, but the keeper was there. However, she couldn't keep hold of the ball and it rebounded back to CK's feet. She had another attempt, and this time it paid off. Wembley roared louder than I have ever heard it as Chloe ran away from the goal to celebrate. She almost ripped her shirt off and spun it round and round while the players jumped on her. In the 110th minute, 10 minutes until penalties, Chloe Kelley had just scored. Me and my grandad were jumping up in the air together, not quite believing what had just happened. My voice was growing hoarse from the amount of shouting I had done.  

We were under 10 minutes away from winning this whole fucking tournament. Chloe Kelley, what a national hero you are.

It seemed that everyone in the stadium was screaming at the top of their lungs. England, bursting with confidence, performed a very entertaining 10 minutes of time wasting. Germany grew frustrated and their manager sent on a piece of paper with tactics. Alessia tried to have a look, which clearly angered the Germans. I don't know why they were so bothered. It's not as if she can speak German.

2 minutes of added time.

And then it finally game. The last kick of the game. Germany's keeper kicked the ball as far up the pitch as possible, but it was too late for them. The referee blew her whistle and I immediately broke down in tears alongside my grandad. He brought me in for a huge hug while we jumped up and down and shouted in my ear, "they've done it!". Obviously, the trademark English song came on and we all started to joyfully sing 'it's coming home'. 

Rotating my head, I could see 87,000 people celebrating with the girls. They had done the nation proud and finally brought football home.

Sliding underneath the barrier once again, I jumped up the steps to where Millie was standing. I immediately jumped into her arms and she span us round and round until I felt dizzy. She screamed energetically, "I can't believe it!" and then went on to sing just as loudly, "football's coming home, it's coming, football's coming home!". 

1 hour later

Fans stayed as long as they were allowed until security kicked them out of the stadium, most of them still singing and dancing. After celebrating with eachother initially, they were now all making their way to their families. Lucy and Keira both came storming up the steps towards us, gold medals hanging on their necks. Just as Lucy picked me up, I began to get all emotional again. Now i'm not really an emotional person, so crying twice in an hour is a pretty big deal. I mumbled into her ear, "I'm so fucking proud of you". She pulled away so she was facing me and grinned. Both of us were too speechless to say anything more. Lucy let me down as the rest of the family congratulated her, so I went up to Keira. She was smiling wider than i've ever seen before, and it only got bigger as I put both arms around her waist. Her mum on one side, her dad on the other and both of us in the middle. Clutching onto her, I smirked, "that pass to Ella was something special, i'm still absolutely speechless". She laughed, "it was honestly a spur of the moment thing. I saw Tooney's run so decided to take a chance". Diane placed a hand on her shoulder, "thank God you did". Peter still had tears streaming down his face and he couldn't produce any words, so he patted Keira's back.

I wanted to give Lucy and Keira some space to celebrate with their teamates, so I was heading back to the hotel with both sets of grandparents, Jorge and Sophie. We were driving through London with 'Sweet Caroline' on full blast when I got a notification on Instagram from the Lionessses instagram page. Unlocking my phone, I couldn't belive what I was seeing. Sophie must have seen my shocked reaction, "what's up?". I turned my phone so she could see it and immediately burst out laughing, "what's Mary doing on the bloody table?!". The girls had crashed the press conference singing and dancing. Of course Mary had to go that little bit more extra by jumping on the table. You could see her panic when she saw the amount of reporters that were there, capturing her ready to publish on the front page of the newspapers tomorrow.

Back at the hotel, there was a big room designated for a party room for all family, friends and the team. Ella ran up to me and dragged me by the hand as soon as we entered. She began dancing with a drink in her hand, "I told you I would score!". I replied, "I can't believe that you had the nerve to chip it over the keeper in a Euros final in front of nearly 90,000 people". She shrugged her shoulders, "couldn't have done it without Keira's incredible assist". I nodded my head in agreement as Mary came over. I cheered, "here she is! The table dancer". A few people nearby clapped and Mary went bright red. She explained, "I didn't realise there would be that many people. By the time I was up on the table it was too late to turn back. As soon as I saw all of the cameras I was like oh shit what have I done. But then I remembered that I have just won the Euros and can do anything so fuck it. You only live once". Leah wrapped her arms around Mary's neck, "wise words Mearps". I laughed, "the video has already gone viral". Mary groaned and put her head in her hands, "oh no...I'm never going to hear the end of this".

Towards the end of the night, everyone gathered in a huge circle and some people were doing speeches. Of course Sarina did one. She basically said that she was proud of the entire team and they deserved this win. Both Ellen and Jill then entered the centre of the circle. Ellen spoke first, "both of our careers have been filled with so many high points, but this has to be top. It has been an incredible honour to win this trophy with all of you by our sides" Jill continued, "after the most difficult decision of our lives, we can't think of a better time to retire from football. Thank you to every single one of you who has made playing for England such a special experience". Ellen finished it off, "and i'm sure you'll smash it at next years World Cup". Mixed reactions filled the room. I could see some people already knew, and others were completely shocked. It was silent until Georgia shouted, "three cheers for Ellen and Jill!". We all cheered and people shouted things towards them, "good luck for the future","I'm going to miss you","at least you still have your coffee shop Jill!". 

To finish off the night, classic football songs came on and we all gathered in a circle again. To the right of me was England's national hero, the one and only, Chloe Kelley. And to the left was Beth Mead. She was holding hands with Vivianne Miedema. I think that interaction confirms that they are a couple. To be honest, they look insanely good together. 

Ella and Alessia got down on the floor in the middle of the circle and attempted to do the worm. Keira was unimpressed as she called out, "let me and Rosie show you how it's done". She grabbed my arm and pulled me in with her. Before summer, Keira taught me to do the worm because Millie and Rach wanted to include it in one of their Tik Toks. Everyone cheered as we performed the worm much better than Ella and Alessia. Millie shouted, "go on Mini Bronze!"

After I stood up, I faced the team and said, "guys...i'm no longer Mini Bronze, it's Mini Bronze-Walsh from now on"

A/N - finally I have finished writing about the Euros!

The build up to Barca can officially begin ;))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Space By Alex

Fanfiction

29.6K 1.5K 54
Everyone has a space to fill in this world. Come with me on my journey to find mine.
82.7K 1K 47
When a new player joins Arsenal WFC after finishing her scholarship over in the US. Bella Thorpe, 23, is very excited to play in London and in the WS...
146K 4K 72
Follow the Bronze-Walsh family through their ups and downs
19.6K 716 13
i'm looking up for my star girl i guess I'm stuck in this mad, mad world [ alexia putellas x fem!oc ] [ lucy bronze / ona batlle ] devilsamore, 2023