Most Valuable Parent (MVP #1)

By holl1e27

Pro hockey star, Christian Brooks, has everything he ever needed as a starting forward Right Winger, and a th... More

Coming October 31, 2022
SYNOPSIS & AUTHOR'S NOTE
CHARACTER AESTHETICS
Prologue
1 - My World
2 - Enemy #1
3 - Dirtbag Fiancé
4 - Girl Time
5 - Mama Knows Best
6 - Pricks and Stones May Break My Bones
7 - Dear Ethan, I Hate You
8 - Girls Night In
9 - Game Day
10 - My Girlfriend For Five Minutes
11 - Vivi = Bitch
12 - Distance
13 - Exhausted
14 - Coffee Dates
15 - Surgery
16 - Recovery
17 - Sisters and Misters
18 - Grilled Cheesus
19 - Follow Up
20 - Bachelorette Party
21 - My Best Friends' Wedding
22 - My Best Friends' Wedding, Part II
23 - Hungover at a Baby Shower
24 - Emotionally Yours
25 - Physically Mine
26 - Tangled
27 - Mama Approved
28 - Good Taste in Music
29 - Kidnapper
30 - Christmas in 60 Degree Weather
31 - My Girlfriend the Cowgirl
32 - My Boyfriend the Famous Hockey Player
33 - Crazy
34 - My Daughter
Epilogue I
Epilogue II
BONUS CHAPTER - Crisp October Mornings
BONUS CHAPTER - Baby's First Christm- *Hockey Game
BONUS CHAPTER - Ours
BONUS CHAPTER - On the Road
Most Valuable Playmaker

BONUS CHAPTER - Hubba Hubba Baby

34.5K 821 133
By holl1e27

4 months later...

"Mommy, match me! Match me!", Charlie jumps up and down. Each landing makes a teeny tiny little thud against the carpet.

"What do you wanna wear then baby?" My hands land on her shoulders to keep her in place.

"We match Daddy?"

I sigh before reaching up and grabbing my jersey with our last name and Christian's number on it. Knowing I'd be getting hot in the middle of the game, I slip on a v-neck shirt under the jersey before slipping on a pair of black maternity yoga pants that flare at the bottom.

I'm all about comfort these days. This baby makes my back hurt and I'm sweating all the time. Not to mention I have to pee five-thousand times a day, I can't really stand up without some type of assistance, and I'm eating some of the weirdest food combinations. I mean seriously, who knew Nutella spread onto Salt & Vinegar chips tasted so damn good.

I take Charlie's hand and we walk into her room, heading straight for the walk in closet. I reach up before I freeze, "Do you want to match me with Daddy's real name? Or the one that says Daddy on it?"

"Match you."

"Okay." I whisper to myself as I grab the smaller sized jersey that matches mine.

We both have a few different jerseys but, I usually end up wearing one of Christian's actual jerseys. I haven't been lately because with it being a bit bigger, there's more fabric so it makes me even hotter.

"Do you need to go potty?"

"No."

Liar.

"Okay..", I give her a skeptical look and she smiles. I walk out of the closet with Charlie in tow and sit down on her bed. Her bed that is about one foot off the ground. It was a struggle getting down this low but, I somehow managed to do it.

Charlie has one of those beds with the cute little house frames on top and a white picket fence around the sides.

Cute for little kids. Impractical for pregnant women.

I hook my fingers into the waistband of her leggings and tug them down before she steps out of them.

I scrunch her little jeggings up, "Step.", she holds onto my shoulders and steps into the dark wash, stretchy material, one foot at a time.

I pull them all the way up to her hips, "I gotta go potty."

I sigh, "Charlie..."

"Sowwy!", she giggles and runs into the en suite bathroom.

I groan, using the house frame bedpost to pull me up and I waddle into the bathroom.

Life ain't easy when a 6-foot-something hockey player that weighs 200 pounds knocks you up.

I squat down the best of my ability to help Charlie before she stands up. I flush the toilet before walking back into her room.

I basically fall back onto her bed this time before exhaling a heavy breath, "Okay, arms.", Charlie raises her arms up and I slide the jersey over her head, pulling the sleeves onto her arms along the way.

"Hair?", she picks up the ends of her brown hair.

"What do you want?"

"Curls!"

"We don't have time for that tonight baby." Nor does Mommy have the energy.

"Aww, okay. The piggies with the bwaids!"

"Piggies with the braids?", I can swing that for tonight.

It's usually hair stylist central up in here but lately, I have no desire to stand there curling hair for less than half an hour so, ponytails and pigtails- or piggies, ponies, or bunnies- are the new curls here at the Brooks's house for the time being.

Charlie skips into the bathroom, pulling out the organized box of colored elastic bands as she uses the step stool to climb onto the counter.

I reach over grabbing her hairbrush and the spray bottle. I brush out her tangled hair before spraying the top of her head with water to silk back the pigtails because she hates bumps.

Charlie reaches over, grabbing the large glass jar, full of different colored and shaped bows- the sizes varying. She digs around and pulls out a small, gold colored velvet bow with an alligator clip- because the barrettes hurt her head. A look of concentration appears on her face as she searches for the bow's identical twin.

I begin to braid her pigtails until she grunts and lets out a humph, crossing her arms.

"What's wrong Cutie?"

"I can't find the matching one." Charlie pushes out her bottom lip into a pout as she looks at me through the mirror.

"We'll find it. Give me just a second." I tie the end of the braid in a pink elastic band, per Charlie's request. Purple holding the pig tails, pink holding the braids.

I reach into the jar, my hand going all the way to the bottom until I pull out the matching velvet bow, "See. Found it!"

"Yay!" I clip the bows on the top of her pigtails and she grins.

We're getting better at picking out our own outfits. I quickly learned that it was best if I picked out the outfit and she picked out the accessories. We've come a long way since the bright blue bows with the cute little neutral outfits she'd wear. Totally ruined the vibe she had going.

Now, she picks out bows that actually match. For example, she picked gold bows to match the Tigers' colors. The bronzed color orange with black letters that are outlined with gold.

"Okay baby, you ready to go?"

"I hungwy."

I pull her off of the sink, "We're getting dinner soon."

"Okay!"

I slip a pair of socks on her feet before she puts on her little black booties herself with a proud smile on her face. "Zip 'em!"

She lifts her feet up in front of me and I chuckle, zipping up the sides. "You have to say please, remember?"

"Pwease!"

"There ya go."

We walk down the stairs and into the garage as I unlock the Grand Wagoneer and open the back driver side door, "Come on."

Charlie climbs up into the car and and I buckle her in her carseat before shutting the door and climbing in myself.

My phone connects as one of my Charlie approved playlists comes on and I pull my phone out.

I shoot Christian a text, letting him know we're on our way before placing my phone in the cupholder next to me and pulling out of the driveway.

"Daddy pway hockey?"

"Yeah baby, Daddy is playing tonight.", I glance back at Charlie in the rear-view mirror.

"Daddy win?"

I smile, "Yeah, Daddy does win."

*

"Charlie come here, Mama needs a break.", Amy puts her hands out towards Charlie.

"No!", Charlie cries out, burying her face in my chest.

I sigh, readjusting her on my arms, "She's fine."

"She's not. You're thirty-nine weeks pregnant, you don't need anymore extra weight than you already have. Don't be stubborn, Brin."

I lean back in my seat, "I'm not being stubborn. I just know this won't go well. She's tired."

Charlie was cradled against my chest. Her face was smushed against my shoulder, her front side against my chest as her legs hang down over my belly. She'd been falling in and out of sleep over during the whole second period.

"Okay.. Just tell me if you really need a break."

A sharp pain in my stomach makes me jerk forward, "Um.. Amy, somethings wrong."

Amy's hand lands on my bicep, "What is it?"

"I think I'm having.. A contraction. This doesn't feel like a Braxton hick." I groan at the pain before it passes and I take in a deep breath.

"Brinley honey,", Amy smiles, "You're going into labor."

"What? No, no, no. It's too soon."

She squeezes my arm, "Only by a week. This is perfectly normal. I had Christian two weeks early and he turned out pretty damn fine."

The panic starts to set in as I look towards the ice. Christian is barreling down the opposite direction, his eyes undoubtedly locked on the player in front of him.

"Okay.. Take her, I'll be back..", I pant out, passing Charlie over to Amy.

"I can go get him honey.", Amy offers.

I use the armrests to pull myself up, "No.. I'll do it. Coach isn't easily persuaded but, I've managed to break him down a little."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's fine. I want to be the one to tell Christian." I wave Amy off as I force myself to ignore Charlie crying for me. "To see the panic on his face."

I slowly make my way out of the box seats and head towards the Players' Range. They named the locker room and lounge area that because apparently tigers are generally home rangers since they don't habitat in one place, or whatever.

"Good evening Mrs.Brooks.", George, one of the head security guards nods as I-try to-quickly hobble down the hallway.

"Hey.", I breathe out. Not wanting to be rude but, I'm about to have a freaking baby here people.

"Mrs.Brooks, you know you can't go out there yet."

I turn around, becoming frustrated by the second, "George, I'm going into labor so, unless you want to deal with an angry pregnant woman, an angry Grandma, and then an angry Christian, I'd let me through."

George nods frantically, "Yes ma'am."

"Thank you.", I say and he swipes his keycard and opens the door.

"Congratulations."

"Tell me that when I'm not thinking about crushing your head, will ya?'

George chuckles, "Yes ma'am."

I hobble down the tunnel as quickly as I can before the sound of the crowd becomes louder and louder until I'm right up against the backside of the players' bench.

I lean against the short wall, peeking around the glass. "Oh, hey female Brooks."

"Hey Gunner.", I pant out, trying to catch my breath, "Get Coach for me?"

"Yes ma'am."

A few minutes later Coach Colson appears in front of me, "You're not supposed to be here right now, you know the rules."

"Coach, I need you to pull him. Right now."

Coach shakes his head, "No can do. We need him right now."

I stand up straight, resting my palms against the board, "Well I guarantee you, I need him a hell of a lot more than you do. I'm about to have a baby here, so, unless you want me to climb over this goddamn wall and risk getting injured. Which by the way, will not make your star Left Winger pretty happy. You pull him the fuck out."

Coach's hands go up in defense. "All you had to do was say you were going into labor, damn woman."

I huff, "It should be pretty damn obvious. Why else would a nine month pregnant woman request for you to pull her husband out of the game?"

"Give me a second, Lady Brooks."

I nod, offering him a polite smile as he turns around and calls a timeout.

I watch impatiently as he steps onto the ice and calls Christian over. Christian leans down to hear him before his head snaps up to meet mine.

He nearly knocks Coach Colson over as he jumps over the board until he reaches me, "Your water broke?"

"Not yet."

He rests his palms next to mine on the board, leaning down closer to my eye level, "Contractions?"

"Only one."

"How long did it last?", I chuckle.

"Not very long.. A couple of seconds I guess."

"Less than ten?"

I shrug, "I think."

Christian's brows furrow, "You think? Brinley you can't be thinking at a time like this."

I reach up, unfastening his helmet and pulling it off, "Christian, calm down baby."

Christian shakes his sweat-wet hair, getting some of it on me, before running his fingers through it and combing it back. "Brinley, you're going into labor. Say it with me, Llaabboor." He talks slowly as if I'm in kindergarten.

I raise an unamused brow, "We have time.. I think. If you were so worried about it, you'd be changed and ready to go by now."

He purses his lips together, "I was finding out information. Dr.Blake is going to ask all those questions."

"Go change baby."

Christian unlocks the the lock and opens the door before stepping down from the bench and wrapping his arm around my waist, "Why are you so calm?"

"I don't know. It hasn't really hit me yet." I say as we stop in front of the locker room door.

Christian uses his back to push the door open and a sexy grin appears on his face, "Wanna shower with me?"

"Llaabboorr." I make my voice deeper, imitating my husband.

"Shower with me. I wanna keep an eye on you."

"I'll sit in the locker room, how about that?"

Christian huffs, grabbing my hand and pulling me to his large cubby. His name and number engraved on a plaque that rests on top.

I sit down on the bench as Christian quickly tugs his gear off. Another sharp pain erupts in my stomach as I suck in a sharp breath, clutching the bottom of my round stomach.

"You okay?", Christian finishes tugging his undershirt off.

"Mhmm.", I press my lips together as I nod my head.

A now shirtless Christian squats in front of me and takes my hands in his, "Contraction?"

"Mhm."

"How bad is it?"

"Not terrible, but, not good.", I let out a deep breath as it passes.

Christian lets go of my hands and moves his own to the sides of my belly. I watch intently as he lifts my shirt up above my bump and places a sweet and soft kiss on the front of my belly.

He lowers my shirt before standing up and tugging the tight pants he had on, along with his briefs.

I bite down on my bottom lip as he throws a white towel over his shoulder and walks towards the locker room, his bare ass in my line of vision the whole time.

"Hubba! Hubba!", I fight the urge to whistle as Christian laughs, throwing his head back.

His shower takes less than five minutes before he's walking out with the towel lowly draped around his waist.

"You think we have time for a quickie? It'll get the baby out sooner." I lean back on my palms, eyeing my husband up and down.

I watch intently as Christian quickly gets dressed. His back muscles flex as he turns his shirt right-side-in and slips it on over his head.

"Okay, let's go.", Christian grabs my hands and pulls me up.

Another small contraction starts, "Oh fuck."

"Is it worse?"

"Yeah.. Yeah.", I rest my forehead on Christian's shoulder as his hands come down to my stomach.

"Come on baby, let's get going.", Christian pulls away before he leans down, placing a kiss on top of my belly, "Let's get this baby out, yeah?"

The drive to the hospital seemed like it took forever.

By the time we got checked in, settled, and talked to Dr.Blake, and waited till I was dilated enough to get an epidural, it was already well into midnight.

"How's it going honey?", Amy asks.

"Fine." I sigh, throwing my head back against the pillows.

"It's worth it honey, I promise."

"I want my Mommy!"

I look over at Christian with a guilty look on my face. He pats my leg, "She's okay.", he whispers.

"Has she slept at all?"

"A little. She's been a little in and out. She wakes up, cries for you, then pretty much cries herself to sleep."

I frown, "Poor baby."

"Are your parents coming?"

"They'll be on a plane tomorrow morning."

"Okay. Try to get some sleep. Both of you. You're gonna need it."

"Okay.. Bye, we love you."

"Bye. You're gonna do great, Brin."  Were her last words before hanging up the phone.

I turn my head to the side, "Christian."

He looks up from tracing circles on my hand. "Hmm?"

"Lay with me?" Christian nods and stands up before climbing into the hospital bed with me.

I slowly readjust to lay on my side with my head on Christian's chest, my arm draped across his waist, and my leg thrown over his.

"Go to sleep, Brinny."

I fucking love it when he calls me that.

I feel Christian's lips on the top of my head as I feel my eyelids become heavy until I give in and fall into a somewhat peaceful slumber. That is, until about 2:00 A.M., when they come in to check how dilated I am.

The nurse finally walks out, "What are you doing?" Christian whispers as I slowly slide off the edge of the bed.

"I need to stand."

"Okay..", he whispers, pulling his arm off of me before standing up himself.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm not getting any sleep if you aren't.", he whispers as he walks around the bed.

"One of us needs sleep baby."

Christian wraps his arms around my waist, interlocking his fingers together under my stomach, "Yeah. You. But, you're obviously not going to sleep anytime soon so, neither am I."

I literally whimper at the feeling of Christian supporting my stomach, the strain on my back easing a little. I throw my head back against his collarbone as Christian absentmindedly sways a little.

He rests his chin on my shoulder, "Are you in any pain?"

"No..", I whisper, "Why are we whispering?"

"It feels odd to talk normal at two in the morning."

I giggle, "It does, doesn't it?"

I don't know if it's because I'm a little drugged up, or I'm just slap happy but, I felt the need to giggle.. A lot.

So I did.

"What's so funny?"

"I don't even know!", I whisper yell through my straight up cackling.

"You're being a little loud baby." Christian says through a chuckle.

I giggle, "Sorry."

He places a kiss on my cheek before burying his face in the crook of my neck, his lips unintentionally grazing my skin. We were still absentmindedly swaying back and forth in the middle of a dark hospital room at Two O'clock in the morning.

"If someone walked in right now, they'd probably think we're psychotic or something."

"No.. We don't have the blinds open. We're normal."

The rest of the night was spent falling in and out of sleep. When I'd finally get some sleep, I'd be woken up to get checked. Or, if I wasn't woken up, I'd wake up on my own. Christian got more sleep than me but, still not much.

We slept on the bed, on the couch, we've stood, sat. Hell at one point, I damn near fell asleep leaning over the bed with Christian behind me. Most would see that as a sex position which, in another time and setting probably would be for us but, instead, it was just me relieving pressure.

My contractions got worse, came only a couple of minutes apart, and lasted longer each time.

Until finally, after a long restless night.

Our sweet baby boy arrived at 6:17 A.M., ten fingers and ten toes. Perfectly healthy. Perfectly beautiful. Perfect.

"I'm gonna miss your cute little belly.", Christian frowns, gently running his hands up and down the sides of my stomach.

"Little?"

Christian pulls his forehead away from mine, "Oh come on, you act like you birthed a fucking whale. You were the cutest pregnant women I've ever seen."

"You have to say that. You're my husband."

He shakes his head, "No, I say it because I wholeheartedly believe it and I want to."

I smile, pulling his forehead back against mine, "I love you. Even if you told my family that the baby was here with that terrible selfie."

"I think it's adorable."

Christian snapped a selfie of him holding the baby while I was passed out asleep- in a very unattractive way- and sent it to the family group chat. Of course they all thought it was hilarious and made sure to point out the drool spot on the hospital gown from myself.

"I think it's slightly disturbing that I fell asleep like that. My neck will be in pain tomorrow."

Christian stands up, sliding his phone in his pocket, "I think you'll have worse pain than your neck to worry about tomorrow. You just gave birth and that's what you're worried about? You blow my mind.", he leans forward, placing his hands beside me on the bed.

"In a good way?"

"The best way possible."

I smile cheekily, "I blow some other things too."

Christian smiles softly at me, "Hormonal and horny. Good to know. Unfortunately for you, we have to wait six weeks, and that's even if we feel like it."

"Why can't we do it now?"

"I don't know, the diaper is a major turn on."

My expression hardens, "That's not funny. I can't help that I have blood coming out of me."

"It's not funny. It just proves that I love you. You're amazing and strong.. Especially in a diaper.", he places a kiss on my forehead, "Mom's here with Charlie. I'll be back in a few."

"No, don't go.", I whine, tugging his hand back.

"Do you want to see your daughter or not?" He turns around to walk backwards.

A lazy grin appears on my face, "Of course I do."

"Then I'll be right back. I promise."

I sigh as he softly shuts the door. I reach over, wincing slightly, and grab ahold of the bar for the bassinet and roll it towards the bed.

A sleeping Max lay perfectly in the middle, swaddled.

Maximus Apollo Brooks.

I smile as I look down at the sleeping angel. Maximus really was a cute name. It had already started to grow on me and then you add in a very persuasive Charlie and Christian and it's hard to say no. Not that I wanted to. Maximus fit.

Charlotte and Maximus.

Maximus and Charlotte.

Max and Charlie. Charlie and Max.

A-fucking-dorable.

I pick up my phone, seeing that it's fully charged.

I go through the family group chat.

Hubba❤️: Attachment: 1 image
Em: look at that drool spot on brin's gown. lmao. classy brin. real classy.
Mama: Oh, look at him!
Daddy: Precious little thing!
Mama: We're about to take off so, see you soon! Save me some cuddles with the sweet thang.
Em: can i quit adulting and come steal your baby

I chuckle typing out a response.

Me: get a boyfriend. that's one step closer to your own baby😉

True to his word- as always- the door opens only a couple of minutes after Christian left and in he walks with Charlie in his arms.

"Mommy!" Charlie says quietly as she reaches her arms out for me.

"Hey Sweet Girl."

Christian eases her down on the bed as she wraps her arms around my neck.

I place a kiss on her forehead before she settles between my legs, her back against my belly. I wrap my arm around her, resting my hand on her abdomen, absentmindedly patting her a few times every couple of minutes.

Christian sits on the edge of the bed, "Do you want to hold him?"

"Yes pwease." Charlie looks up at me with a proud smile at the use of her manners.

Christian gently lifts Max out of the plastic bassinet, the little guy looking extra little in his Daddy's hands.

I watch in awe as Charlie holds him in her arms. She keeps his head supported and everything. She's so gentle with him already, like he'll break with one wrong movement.

Which I think is how we all see him right now honestly.

"Hi Maxi!" Charlie whisper yells, looking down at her new baby brother.

I bite down on my lip, trying to hold back my tears. I look up and see a tear roll down Christian's cheek which causes me to lose it.

"Why you sad Mommy?"

"I'm not sad baby.", I wipe my tears off my cheeks, "I just can't wait to watch you be a big sister."

Word Count; 4,053

Woo! That's a long chapter!

Here's what I imagine Charlie's bed looks like:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140K 2.2K 72
When a new girl joins the Penguins medical team she's not what anyone would have expected, especially not superstar Sidney Crosby. Also posted on AO3...
42.8K 1.6K 62
"I already killed your mother, Cam." As the words left my enemy's mouth like a mocking sneer, I growled under my breath at the mention of my old name...
3.7K 115 32
"Leo pinned me against the wall with his hips. His hands gently gripped my wrists, keeping my arms above my head against the cool brick behind me. H...
104K 1.7K 54
"I try so hard to be just friends but you sure don't make it easy." He averts his gaze from mine, and I wish he'd just look me in the face. "I don't...