RWBY||Defender of Remnant

By DragonLord39

Everyone knows that the lions of Voltron, Defender of the Universe, a mech made from the ore of a trans-reali... More

Sincline Character Bio {Stage: 1}
Prologue
Chapter 2: Team RWBY
Chapter 3: Learning the Basics
Chapter 4: Initiation
Chapter 5: A Different Kind of Fight
Chapter 6: Classes
Chapter 7: Players
Chapter 8: A Minor Hiccup
Chapter 9: Painting the Town...
Chapter 10: Extracurricular
Christmas Special
New Year Special
Chapter 11: Living in a Nightmare: Part 1
Chapter 12: Living in a Nightmare: Part 2
Chapter 13: Living in a Nightmare: Part 3
Chapter 14: Living in a Nightmare: Part 4
Chapter 15: Living in a Nightmare: Part 5
Chapter 16: Living in a Nightmare: Part 6
Late Valentine's Day Special
Chapter 17: Truthful Dares
Chapter 18: Dangerous Day: Part 1
Chapter 19: Dangerous Day: Part 2
Chapter 20: Silver and Gold
Chapter 21: Camping 101
Chapter 22: Dance Dance Infiltration: Part 1
Chapter 23: Dance Dance Infiltration: Part 2
Chapter 24: Field Trip
Chapter 25: Search and Destroy: Part 1
Chapter 26: Search and Destroy: Part 2
Chapter 27: No Brakes
Chapter 28: Breach
Chapter 29: Battle of the Breach
Chapter 30: Argus Limited
Chapter 31: Brunswick Farms
Chapter 32: Apathy
Chapter 33: Grimm Reaper
Chapter 34: A Good Day
Chapter 35: Argus Defense
4th of July Special
Chapter 36: Titans
Chapter 37: Legends Never Die
Chapter 38: Retribution
Chapter 39: Fallout
Chapter 40: Robyn Hill
Chapter 41: Patch
Chapter 42: Vytal Festival
Chapter 43: Round One
Chapter 44: New Challengers
Chapter 45: A Brawl in the Family
Chapter 46: Lessons Learned
Chapter 47: Worthy
Chapter 48: Never Miss a Beat
Chapter 49: Entity
Chapter 50: Maidens and Entities
Chapter 51: Truths and Secrets
Chapter 52: Nuckelavee
Late Halloween Special
Chapter 53: The Calm before the Storm
Chapter 54: The Eye of the Storm
Chapter 55: The Storm Approaches
Chapter 56: Gauntlets and Greaves
Chapter 57: Witches and Roses
Chapter 58: Menagerie
Chapter 59: Coup
Chapter 60: The Battle of Beacon: Part 1
Chapter 61: The Battle of Beacon: Part 2
Chapter 62: The Battle of Beacon: Part 3
Chapter 63: The Battle of Beacon: Part 4
Chapter 64: When All is Lost: Part 1
Chapter 65: When All is Lost: Part 2
Chapter 66: Battle for Remnant: Part 1
Chapter 67: Battle for Remnant: Part 2
Chapter 68: Battle for Remnant: Part 3
Chapter 69: Battle for Remnant: Part 4
Chapter 70: Battle for Remnant: Part 5
Chapter 71: Aftermath
Epilogue

Chapter 1: Remnant

3.2K 47 92
By DragonLord39

3rd Person POV

Beacon Academy

"I can't believe we're back!" A girl with black hair with red tips squealed as the Atlesian Airship docked at Beacon's airstrip, the afternoon sun shining high overhead. Clad in a black lace-up corset with four buckles hanging loosely over a mesh sleeveless top and a white, low-cut, long-sleeved blouse, she wore a red pleated skirt split at the side with a small, brown, belted strap across a pair of red shorts, a silver rose emblem shining on her hip. On her arms, she wore a set of black bracers with large brown buckles strapped around the wrist as well as black fingerless gloves.

As the Airship settled, its engines slowing to a low whine, Ruby jumped out, the sunlight catching on the brown mesh tights that hugged her legs as she landed on the deck. Her red-hooded cloak whipped around her as her thigh-high steel-toed boots clicked against the pavement, her silver eyes shining with excitement. "Come on, Yang!"

Shaking her head, the blond-haired girl sighed. An orange-lined, gold-edged tan jacket flapped in the wind and partially covered an orange crop top, the coat's darker brown short sleeves shifting with the movement. Two long gold-trimmed rectangular tails hung over the back of fitted black pants. 

(A/N) She still has both arms

"Really, Ruby? We've only been on break for a couple weeks," she chided, the golden heels and toes of her knee-high brown boots gleaming in the afternoon sun as she exited the airship after her. "You don't have to—"

"Weiss!" Ruby shouted happily, spotting the Heiress. A burst of rose petals, and she tackled the white-haired girl in a tight embrace as Blake deftly sidestepped the young huntress. Dressed in a sharp, thigh-length strapless dress with a faint color graduation from white to a soft blue at the hem, Weiss returned the gesture with an expected, "Let go of me, you dunce!"

A small piece of black lace adorned the front of Weiss's neckline, and the hem of her dress was scalloped and stitched to resemble shimmering snowflakes. Over that, she bore a bell-sleeved bolero with the same color graduation as her dress from shoulder to wrist, lined in red and with a ruffled collar. Her boots were white, wedge-heeled, and higher at the back than at the front, and her off-center ponytail shifted in the wind.

"It's good to see you too, Ruby," Blake said, the black-haired girl greeting the young Rose with a polite nod, her black bow dipping with the movement. A long, white tailcoat with a dark violet inner lining and sleeveless black crop top with a belt attached from behind adorned her frame, the crop top bearing rectangular and diamond-shaped cutouts around the neckline. Additionally, she wore a white belt over black fitted pants and thigh-high black heeled boots with gold-colored edging around the top, the left boot with a belt wrapped twice around the thigh.

"So, we have anything to catch up on?" Yang teased, yanking Ruby off Weiss and wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

Everyone groaned, Weiss rubbing her forehead with her thumb and forefinger as Blake merely groaned. "Some things never change," Blake muttered, shaking her head.

"For better or worse," Weiss sighed, having resigned herself to yet another semester with the blond-haired brawler and her deadly puns.

Ruby giggled. "I'm pretty sure you meant worse."

"Either way!" Weiss declared, cutting off Yang's protests. "Blake and I arrived several hours ago, and I've already arranged our dorm."

Ruby and Yang sweatdropped, the two half-sisters exchanging looks. There was no way she could have... could she? "Please tell me you didn't bring any textbooks," Yang pleaded, Ruby's head nodding so fast in agreement that it resembled a bobblehead.

Timeskip

"You just had to ask... didn't you?" Blake deadpanned. She, Yang, and Ruby all stood in the doorway, frozen in utter terror at the set of large binders on Weiss's desk: one red, one black, one gold, and one white.

"I cleaned up as well," Weiss said proudly, one hand on her hip as she gestured to the beds that practically sparkled with the other, the pillows and blankets arranged to perfection. "You don't have to worry; those binders are only for the first week."

Everyone groaned, and Ruby jumped to her bed in a burst of red petals. "Weiss, we just got back!" she whined, flopping onto the covers, much to the heiress's horror. "We don't need you killing us with work before the teachers do!"

"We do have a few days before term 'officially' begins," Blake agreed, crossing to her bunk and sitting down, resting one leg over the other as she pulled a book out seemingly from nowhere. "We could take the time to relax or do something productive...."

"Like studying," Weiss offered hopefully... only for the other three girls to shake their heads.

"I'd rather do some sparring," Yang said, punching her fists together with an excited grin. "Maybe Pyrrha's up for a match or two. Speaking of, has anyone seen Team JNPR?"

Ruby tapped her chin. "Not since.... We last saw them." A pillow smacked her in the face, courtesy of Weiss.

"They're not due to arrive until tomorrow, you dolt," Weiss reminded, setting her suitcase next to her bed and rolling her eyes. "Their airship was held up because of a storm, remember?" She turned, leaning against the side of the bunk and crossing her arms.

"Uh...," Ruby shifted, blushing. "Well, I do now!" she declared, attempting to save face... which didn't work.

"Still, that doesn't answer the question of what we should do while we wait for term to start," Blake pointed out, flipping a page of her book as her eyes scanned the pages, her black bow wiggling ever so slightly.

Ruby gasped, eyes shining. "We could go to the beach!" she offered excitedly.

"We did that over break," Yang retorted. "Since we're here, and the training rooms are open, we could always—"

"Would Team RWBY please report to my office?" Ozpin's voice called, crackling over the intercom. "Again, would Team RWBY please report to my office?"

As one, everyone turned to Yang. "Yang, we haven't even been here for an hour," Weiss whined as Ruby groaned, pressing her face into her pillow as if it would save her. "What could you possibly have done now?!"

"Hey, it wasn't me!" Yang protested, hand on her chest. "I was here the whole time with you guys, remember?"

Blake sighed, snapping her book shut and setting it down. "Let's just go and get this over with so I can get back to my book."

"For the last time, it wasn't me!" Yang complained, following the black-haired Faunus out the door with Weiss behind her, the heiress's heels padding softly against the carpet-covered floor.

Ruby groaned, flopping against her bunk and staring up at the ceiling. Can this day get any worse?

Timeskip

"So... what do you think he wants?" Ruby asked as the four of them entered the elevator and turned, closing the door behind them.

"I don't know, but I still bet it's Yang's fault," Blake replied, ignoring the blond girl's protests as she pressed the up button, prompting the elevator to ascend.

"Maybe he wants to give us an early assignment," Weiss proposed, tapping her chin thoughtfully.

Ruby paused, thinking. "Well... as long as it's not schoolwork, let's do it!" Ruby cheered, pumping a fist as Yang did the same.

Weiss pouted, puffing her cheeks.

Finally, after several minutes, the elevator hummed to a stop and the doors opened, the four girls stepping through and into the large office at the top of Beacon Tower. The chair, table, walls, and ceiling all featured cogs and gears, the back glass wall offering an impressive view of Vale.

"Ah, good afternoon girls," said Ozpin, the middle-aged man with silver hair and thin brown eyes greeting them with a polite nod as he sat behind his desk, cane leaning against the side. "How was your break?" he asked, his shaded glass spectacles matching perfectly with the shadows cast overhead. His outfit, as usual, consisted of an unzipped black suit over a dark green, buttoned vest and shift over black trouser shoes and dark-green pants.

"Well, I hit a few bars, then Ruby and I went home to visit dad—" Yang started, but Ruby cut her off, her eyes shining with excitement.

"WefedZweiandplayedwithhimandIfoundsomenewDustroundsthatUncleQrowleftand—"

"They had a good time," Weiss interjected, sticking an arm out in front of her and cutting the young Rose short mid... whatever she was doing. "I mainly stuck around Vale."

Ozpin nodded, and his eyes flicked to the final member of Team RWBY. "And what about you, Miss Belladonna?"

Blake hesitated. "It was... good."

"I see... tell me. Do you four know why I called you up here?" Ozpin asked, gesturing for them to sit down in a set of chairs before his desk.

"Well, I'm assuming it was because Yang did something—"

"Hey!"

"—but I'm guessing that's not it?" the heiress finished, ignoring her teammate's complaints as she, Ruby, Yang, and Blake sat down opposite the headmaster.

Ozpin chuckled, lacing his fingers together. "I can assure you that this time, Miss Xiao Long did nothing to warrant a trip to my office."

"See?" Yang asked smugly... only for Ozpin's words to register moments after. "Hey, wait a minute! There's no need for—"

"So, what's up?" Ruby asked curiously, cutting her sister off before she could go off on a rampage... and destroy the office.

"I believe you four recall the temple you and Team JNPR encountered during your initiation?" Ozpin asked.

The four girls nodded.

"Several weeks ago, scientists unearthed a temple deep within the emerald forest," Ozpin explained, folding his hands together as the cogs above creaked and groaned. "From what they could gather, it has been there for several centuries, possibly more. Unfortunately, before they could gather more data, they were attacked by creatures of Grimm. The scientists escaped, but the temple was overrun."

"Wait," Blake said slowly. "You want us to clear it out... on our own?"

"With the utmost respect, Professor, we're only first years!" Weiss protested. "Why would you send us out on our own?"

Ozpin raised an eyebrow. "Well, you four were pretty eager to handle the White Fang last semester at the docks, weren't you? And given your success, I believe you are more than capable of wiping out a few Grimm. Can I count on you?"

Ruby, Weiss, Blake, and Yang exchanged looks.

"We won't let you down, Professor," Ruby assured, turning back to Ozpin as the other girls nodded their assent.

He smiled. "Splendid. Report to the landing strip in half an hour, and a Bullhead will take you to a clearing five clicks from the temple. When you are finished, you only need to use your scrolls to contact the pilot for pickup. Good luck."

Above the Emerald Forest

"Why do you think he chose the four of us for this?" Blake asked as the members of Team RWBY sat in the Bullhead's cargo bay, the roar of the engines forcing her to speak loudly to be heard.

Yang shrugged. "You heard him. We handled the White Fang; he was impressed, and here we are now," she replied, flipping a Dust round between her fingers before sliding it inside one of her gauntlets.

"He probably wants to test us," Weiss suggested, slender rounds sliding down her fingers and into the hilt of her rapier as she gave the blade an experimental flick.

"I just can't wait to let Crescent Rose out again," Ruby said cheerfully, caressing the side of the oversized scythe.

Yang sighed. "Sis—"

"I know, I know," Ruby sighed, folding the weapon away and sheathing its compacted form on her back. "But still, I wonder what we're going to find at the temple?"

"Well, you're about to find out," the pilot called from the cockpit. "We're over the clearing, and there's a few Grimm down there."

Yang nodded and slammed her fists together, activating her gauntlets. "Guess this is our stop."

"We'll call when we're done," Ruby added, unfurling Crescent Rose as Blake and Weiss drew their respective weapons.

The pilot nodded. "Alright, I'll circle around if you need me." These kids are crazy... no wonder they're Huntresses.

The hatches slid open, and Ruby leaned out the side of the Bullhead, looking down at where several Beowolves were mulling around.

"Come on guys!" Ruby called. Her scythe flashed, and she leapt out of the Bullhead. Flipping through the air as she free-fell toward the Grimm below, Ruby aimed her scythe and fired, the recoil briefly halting her midair as a Dust round tore through a Grimm's skull in a spray of black liquid.

As the Beowolf collapsed, dissolving into black mist, Ruby landed in a spin, her scythe bisecting a second Grimm as Yang, Blake, and Weiss hit the ground rolling and immediately went to work, bursts of oily black blood spraying through the air as the four Huntresses massacred the Grimm.

"Well, that was easy," Yang commented, retracting her gauntlets and wiping a patch of slimy blood off her shoulder.

"Don't get cocky," Weiss warned, scanning the area around them as the Grimm's corpses disintegrated into black mist. "I doubt the scientists Ozpin told us about would have left if there were only a few Grimm."

"Well, he did say the temple was overrun," Ruby pointed out, folding her scythe away and flicking the evaporating slime from the edge of her blade. "Maybe the rest of them are at the temple. By the way..." She looked around, scratching the back of her head sheepishly. "Anyone remember which way the temple is?"

Blake sighed, shaking her head and pointing toward the north. "That way: three clicks. I saw it on the way in."

A pause. Ruby grinned, raising her finger toward the sky. "To the temple!" she proclaimed and dashed off... and ran back. "And it's this way!" she shouted, racing off in the other direction. Shaking their heads, the girls followed, dashing into the forest after the red-caped Huntress.

Timeskip

"That's the temple?" Weiss asked, blade flashing through a swath of foliage as the four girls exited the tree line opposite a large circular temple. It looked like the one they had seen at initiation but completed, with five massive pillars curving toward the sky like a set of talons.

Blake nodded, eyeing the moss-covered metal warily. "I think so... we're at the right location, but Ozpin said this place was buried for centuries. That metal... aside from the moss, it looks brand new."

"Maybe he was wrong," Yang guessed, but she wasn't sure. Ozpin had never been wrong before, but there was a first time for everything....

"That's not the strangest part though," Weiss pointed out, gesturing toward the abandoned clearing surrounding the temple. "Where's the Grimm? This place is supposed to be overrun, isn't it?"

Everyone exchanged looks. "Maybe they sensed us coming and ran off," Ruby offered hopefully. Honestly, she didn't believe it, and neither did the others, yet none commented.

Yang shrugged, placing her hands on her hips. "Well, since we're here... we might as well check out the temple. Who knows, maybe we'll find something before those scientists."

Ruby perked up. "Good idea!" A burst of rose petals, and she was beside one of the large pillars, examining it with her silver eyes almost bursting with child-like excitement.

Blake sighed. "Come one. Let's make sure she doesn't cause the place to blow up or something."

"Maybe we should keep Weiss away from her," Yang joked, following Blake as the black-haired Faunus entered the temple.

"One time!" Weiss whined but followed anyway. Stepping over the outer edge, she found Ruby examining a curved pillar placed almost exactly opposite where they had entered while Yang ran her fingers through a section of dust-covered moss as Blake examined strange markings in the floor.

"Hey, Blake! Can you make any of this out?" Ruby called, snapping Blake's attention from the engravings. She turned and found Ruby examining a strange set of runes embedded in the side of the pillar. The marks were dark, weathered with age, but the metal surrounding it shone with pristine brilliance.

"I... I can't," Blake admitted, much to her and Ruby's surprise. "I've never seen them before. Weiss?"

Frowning, the Heiress walked over, Yang following, and stopped beside her. "Can you make it out?" Yang asked, glancing at the white-haired Huntress, her lilac eyes catching the light. If anyone can make these things out, it's definitely her, she thought.

Weiss examined the runes for a long moment... and shook her head. "I don't recognize any of them," she admitted. "As far as I can tell, they don't match any language in any of Oobleck's history books."

Ruby frowned. If Weiss herself didn't know... a light flicker of shimmering energy caught her eye, and she found herself staring at a strange symbol half-hidden by the moss. "Hey guys? What's this?" She extended her hand, fingers reaching toward the vines concealing the rest of the image.

"Wait, don't!" Weiss shouted.

Too late. Ruby's hand brushed past the vines, making contact with the metal... and a brilliant flash lit up the temple. The runes flared to life, and a surge of red and silver energy raced over their surface, thunder tearing across the sky.

"You dunce!" Weiss shouted. Grabbing Ruby by the shoulder, Weiss pulled her away, drawing her rapier as a surge of red and silver energy ran across the surface of the talon-like pillars. The wind picked up, gusts of freezing air tearing through the trees as dark clouds formed rapidly overhead, casting the area in shadow.

"We have to get out of here!" Blake shouted, and the four girls whipped around... only to find several dozen Beowolves, Ursa, a few Deathstalkers, and several Nevermores closing in, the large birds straining against the hurricane winds.

"Well, you wanted to know where the Grimm were," Yang joked, eyeing the Grimm uneasily. "There they are." A click, and her gauntlets activated, catching the light as she assumed a fighting stance, the other girls doing the same.

Red and silver lightning ignited between the tips of the pillars, and a strange Glyph appeared between them, shining brightly above Team RWBY. By now, the wind had increased into a full forced gale, swirling around them as another Glyph exploded on the ground.

"Come on!" Yang shouted and leapt into the fray, using her gauntlets to propel herself forward as she planted a heavy blow into an Ursa's skull, crushing it in a geyser of black, oily blood.

As the Grimm disintegrated and Yang engaged another Ursa, Blake launched Gambol Shroud, the blade piercing through a Beowolf's ribs. She pulled, and the weapon dislodged with a loud crack as a Dust round pierced the paw of a Beowolf that had been sneaking up on her. Catching her weapon, Blake spun and slit the Grimm from shoulder to rib, killing it.

An icy Glyph forming behind her, Weiss assumed a fighting stance and shot forward, piercing a Beowolf through the spine as it advanced on Yang. Withdrawing her weapon, Weiss rolled, dodging a stab from a Deathstalker.

As she leapt to her feet, landing delicately, she raised her rapier and froze the Deathstalker's tail with a well-timed Glyph.

Crescent Rose expanding in hand, Ruby aimed at the back of a Beowolf's skull... only for a wave of energy to slam into her from behind, throwing her to the ground. A burst of cold heat tore across her collarbone, but she paid it little mind as she flew through the air. Landing hard, Ruby rolled to absorb the impact as the wind exploded into a scream, the red and silver energy turning purple as a massive beam of energy erupted into the sky, several smaller branches of energy curving off into the clouds.

Dimensional Gap

Bursts of purple and red energy surged through an endless void of iridescent colors as two figures flitted through the zone between dimensions. A massive red, western dragon over 6600 feet long with two sets of wings tore through the gap as he faced off against a cute young girl with long black hair, dark grey eyes, and a black Gothic Lolita dress.

Red energy gathered between the dragon's jaws, and it raised its head as the young girl simply pointed, a sphere of black and purple energy expanding above her index finger. Before they could release their attacks, a brilliant surge of purple energy split through the gap between them, surprising them both.

"Is that..." the Red Dragon trailed off, his golden eyes narrowing as the surge of energy brightened.

"He's back," the little girl murmured, her head tilted ever so slightly as she gazed at the beam of energy with the barest flicker of interest in her eyes.

"The sixth... what is she playing at?"

Remnant

"What's going on?!" Blake shouted, shielding her face as Weiss and Yang did the same, the battering winds slamming against them with the force of a hurricane. The Grimm attempted to advance, but the winds held them back, forcing them to shield themselves as well.

The beam flared, and the rotating Glyphs froze, locking in place as purple lightning arched between them, a third, smaller Glyph materializing in the center. A surge of energy tore through the air as energy from and around the temple twisted inward, forming a ball of swirling light. With a blinding flash, the sphere ruptured, and the Glyphs snapped together.

Shielding her eyes as a wave of energy slammed against her chest, Ruby shivered as a cold sheath of ice washed over her skin. As the blinding light faded away, she looked up and gasped, her silver eyes widening.

They weren't alone anymore.

Surges of dark purple energy arching around his body, a tall figure knelt in the center of the ruins, one fist planted in the center of the fading Glyph. While purple particles slowly settled around him like dust as the smoke dissipated, sunlight glanced off the newcomer's wraith-like armor.

"What... who is that?" Blake asked, her voice a soft whisper as she stared upon Sincline's form. A loud crack, and the Trans-reality mech's hand snapped into a fist, talons connecting in a shower of sparks. The shimmering energy faded away, and Sincline looked up. His eyes flashed, bursting into narrowed slits of purple energy.

Several Seconds Earlier

His vision twisting as he entered the portal, Sincline felt a dizzying sense of vertigo wash over him as a wave of heat suffused his body. Everything darkened, twisting into a dark spiral as his senses disappeared. A wave of fear washed over Sincline, but before he could panic, everything rushed back in a surge of motion.

Sincline's body shook as he slammed into a hard surface, hitting hard and crushing the ground beneath his fist as he landed. Feeling the Quintessence around his body fading away as a strange, warm substance replaced it, Sincline flexed his talons, a bolt of relief flaring through him. I'm finally free, he thought quietly, and his fist snapped shut. Raising his head, his eyes flashed, bursting into narrowed slits of purple energy as he examined his surroundings.

Where am I? he wondered, eyeing the ruins around him uneasily. It didn't seem like the temple on Oriande, and he didn't sense the witch's presence... so what brought him back? A flicker of movement caught his attention, and he looked up to find four girls in strange clothing standing before him—all bearing weapons.

Sincline's eyes narrowed as he regarded them cautiously, small flickers of energy forming around his talons. He wasn't picking up any hostile intent from them, but.... Wait... why are they so big? he wondered. If I remember right, humans aren't as tall as... A quick diagnostic of his body, and the results flashed across his HUD. The girls weren't big... he was simply smaller... roughly their size to be precise, albeit a couple inches taller.

What the Quiznak—before he could question the strange circumstances, his HUD flashed, warning of incoming hostiles. A quick survey of his surroundings revealed roughly a hundred creatures made of an oily black substance and bone advancing. His eyes narrowed. What kind of creatures are they?

"Paladins! Attack!"

His sensors flared, and he glanced up, spotting a large black avian covered in bone diving toward him, its red eyes flashing with unmistakable malice.

Deal with this first, he thought, eyes narrowing. I'll figure out the rest later... if I make it out of this. He crouched, spreading his arms. His back thrusters ignited, and, with a burst of speed, he shot into the sky, the resulting shockwave kicking up a gust of wind that slammed into the four Huntresses.

Halting midair, the Nevermore flared its wings and sent a hail of sharp, jagged feathers tipped in bone racing toward him, serrated edges flashing in the sunlight.

Sincline swerved, a hail of bladed feathers arcing past him as his tail flew out for balance. A burst of speed, and he streaked upward. Screeching, the Nevermore swung at him with one of its talons, the sharp tips gleaming.

Raising his arm, Sincline caught the blow on his spiked forearm, sparks flying, and shot up, ramming his fist into the bottom of the Nevermore's jaw. A loud crack, and its beak shattered in a spray of black liquid as Sincline's blow connected, the force of the blow shattering the rest of its skull and killing it instantly.

Down below, Ruby and the rest of the girls stared up in shocked awe as the Nevermore slowly fell out of the sky. "D-did... did he just...?"

"Uh, you guys saw that too, right?" Yang asked uneasily, trying and failing to pick her jaw off the ground as she and Weiss stared up, trying to believe what they had just seen.

"If by that you mean a strange armored being coming out of nowhere and killing a Nevermore with a single blow, then, yes, we all saw that," Blake deadpanned, staring up at Sincline in shock as the Nevermore's body disintegrated.

Blazing eyes narrowing, Sincline examined the Grimm's body as the Nevermore turned into black mist. What the Hell was that thing? he wondered. I'm getting some readings... but I've never seen anything like it before. They were like the readings he had picked up from those... those creatures that Honerva had. But they're different. Like... living darkness?

Multiple alerts flashed across his HUD, warning of incoming projectiles. A burst of speed, and he shot up, a second barrage of serrated feathers tearing through the air where he had been.

"Wait, where'd he go?" Weiss asked, staring in confusion as Sincline seemingly vanished from view, disappearing in a burst of speed as a purple shockwave filled the sky where he had been.

Blake tilted her head, and her bow twitched. She looked up, and her eyes widened. "Up there!" She pointed, and the other girls looked up just in time to see Sincline slam into a Nevermore's head from above, practically tearing it off as his foot made contact.

If the girls weren't stunned before, they were shocked beyond belief now. "That. Was. Awesome!" Ruby cheered, her gaze locked onto Sincline's armored form as black blood rained around him.

Shaking her head, Weiss turned to reprimand her team leader... only for her eyes to widen in horror. "Ruby, look out!"

"Huh?" Ruby turned, and a Deathstalker's claw blurred through the air. She raised her weapon, trying to stop the attack, but was too late. A loud crack, and the scorpion-like Grimm's pincer crashed into Ruby's chest, throwing the young Huntress into a pillar.

"Ruby!" Yang shouted. She ran toward her, only to jump out of the way as an Ursa's paw slammed into the ground where she had been. Shaking its head, the Ursa roared, and the rest of the Grimm advanced, forming a wall of darkness between Ruby and the rest of the team.

"Come on!" Weiss shouted and dashed forward as the other girls did the same, Yang slamming into the Grimm in an explosion of fire as Blake and Weiss cut their way through a line of Beowolves.

Hearing the shout, Sincline turned and looked down. Upon seeing a large scorpion-like creature advancing on the girl dressed in black and red, her oversized scythe knocked out of reach, his glowing eyes narrowed. Not gonna happen. He may not know who this girl was, but for some strange reason, he felt the urge to... protect her?

Shaking his head, Sincline rolled his shoulders and dashed down in a burst of speed as his back thrusters flared.

Raising its claws, the Deathstalker brought them down toward Ruby... and the blow connected.

At the sound of bone on metal, Ruby looked up, lowering the arm she had raised to shield her face, and her eyes widened. Crouched before her, dust raining around him from the impact, was Sincline, his sharp talons digging into the Deathstalker's pincers as he intercepted a claw with each hand.

Looking up, Sincline's eyes flashed, and he shot forward in a burst of speed, ramming his knee into the Deathstalker's jaw with a thunderous crack, a spray of bone and dark blood filling the air. As the Deathstalker reeled back, Sincline reached down. Grasping the hilts on his legs, he pulled, drawing his scimitars with a flash of purple light.

Curling his talons around the familiar ion blades, Sincline felt a surge of clarity wash over him as he faced the Deathstalker. This... this was one of the few good feelings he remembered. The thrill. The rush... the fight. His back thrusters ignited, and he shot forward. A spray of dark blood, and Sincline landed on the other side of the Deathstalker in a crouch, blades crossed.

A second passed. Then two. Stiffening, the Deathstalker straightened... and fell to its knees, splitting down the middle, each half falling to either side.

Eyes wide, Ruby, Weiss, Yang, and Blake stared at the sight in shock. "Did he just..." Blake trailed off, staring at Sincline. He actually... he split a Deathstalker in half with one blow?!

"I don't believe it," Weiss murmured.

His HUD flashing red and warning him of an imminent attack, Sincline spun, deflecting a Beowolf's claws with one blade and slitting its throat with the other. A large Ursa lunged at him from behind, roaring, and Sincline whipped his tail up, the sharp trio of blades at the end piercing its bone-covered skull.

A second Ursa swung at his head from behind, and Sincline ducked, the sharp claws tearing through the air above him. He spun, cutting it down with a quick blow to the chest before crossing his swords to intercept a Deathstalker's stinger. Gritting his 'teeth' as his feet dug into the ground, Sincline pushed the tail back and sheathed his swords.

Drawing his hand back, a sphere of energy charging above his palm, Sincline fired, launching a brilliant beam that vaporized the Deathstalker and all the Grimm behind it.

"I'm not the only one seeing this, right?" Yang asked as she and Weiss helped Ruby to her feet. Blake nodded, and the four girls watched as Sincline singlehandedly dismantled the horde of Grimm.

A hard blow from an Ursa slammed into Sincline's back, causing him to stagger, but he was quick to reply, cutting down a trio of Beowolves with his tail and catching a second blow on his forearm. Launching an ion beam from above his ribcage to dispatch an oncoming Grimm, he slugged the Ursa in the jaw, crushing its skull in a spray of blood and bone.

His HUD flared once more, and he shot up, a hail of barbed feathers impaling the ground where he had been. Dispatching the Nevermore with a quick blow to its skull, Sincline spun, energy swirling around his hands. A flash of light, and he sent a pair of energy beams slashing into the Grimm's ranks, obliterating the remainder in a brilliant explosion that rocked the forest.

Shielding their eyes with their arms to protect them from the flash, Team RWBY looked up and found Sincline hovering back to the ground, wisps of energy slowly fading around him.

Landing on the ground, soft blades of grass brushing against his heels, Sincline turned his gaze on Team RWBY... and his glowing eyes narrowed.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.5K 2.4K 106
Earth is an incredibly peaceful and beautiful World home to the amazingly intelligent Humans that live upon its surface. Upon these many, many Humans...
6.9K 101 11
Y/n, a name no one has ever heard of, but they'll soon know it. For he will be known as the Batshit Hunter. A man who shows no fear, rushing into bat...
915K 14.1K 84
A man that thought he was loved. By a group of people that accepted him. But what if he was nothing but all lies? What happens when is taken by those...
29.3K 552 36
|Slight RWBY AU | Fanfiction| Everyone knows that mercenaries fight for treasure. However, not all treasure is silver and gold. By personal invitati...