No Solace (The Flames of Retr...

By inkysparrow

***Amby Awards Top Pick for Young Adult 2023*** ***Featured on Stories Undiscovered for September 2023*** ***... More

A list of the Aptitudes and what they do
A History of the War and the Cataclysm
The Nations of the Earth after the Cataclysm
Chapter 1.5 - Emily
Chapter Two - The Church of St. Perron Renaud
Chapter Three - The Lastender Estates
Chapter Four - Father's advice
Chapter Five - The Night Market
Chapter Six - In the Imperial Dungeon
Chapter Seven - Pirates
Chapter Eight -The Beltritian Port and the Doctor
Chapter Nine - Dr. Larimar
Chapter Ten - Meeting the Tavla
Chapter Eleven - The Deal
Chapter Twelve - The Dance
Chapter Thirteen - In the Arena
Chapter Fourteen - A heart in the abyss
Chapter Fifteen - The distances between belief and truth
Chapter Sixteen- The Best Laid Plans
Chapter Seventeen -The Oracle Matenli
Chapter Eighteen - Departure
Chapter Nineteen - On the way to Janesport
Chapter Twenty - Stratagem
Chapter Twenty-One - A sea of serpents
Chapter Twenty-Two - Revelations
Chapter Twenty-three - Mistakes were made
Chapter Twenty-four - Another Fine Mess
Chapter Twenty-Five - Onward to Sanfelton
Chapter Twenty-six -The Port of Sanfelton
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Kohl Sanfelton
Chapter Twenty-Eight- The Magic Tower
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Schemes in the Embassy
Chapter Thirty - A Ball to End All Balls
Chapter Thirty-One - Chevral Deming
Chapter Thirty-Two- The Lies We Keep
Chapter Thirty-Three - A Childhood Crush
Chapter Thirty-Four - An Unsavory Invitation
Chapter Thirty-Five - An Awkward Carriage Ride
Chapter Thirty-Six - An Uncomfortable Dinner
Chapter Thirty-Seven - The Seeds of Change and Rebellion
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Confessions
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Mata Hari doesn't live here.
Chapter Forty - New Opportunities
Chapter Forty-One - Bitter Tea
Chapter Forty-Two - The Flames of Retribution

Chapter One -Saint Atrize's Festival

340 51 378
By inkysparrow

The first day of the Festival of Saint Atrize dawned with a bright, golden light that bathed the city of Sanfelton in a warm glow. I stood on the steps of the Imperial Library, my heart heavy with anticipation and sorrow. The festival, a time for joy and celebration, felt like a cruel irony as I prepared to honor the memory of Head Librarian Gladys Brightgarden, the woman who had been a mentor and a second mother to me. The festival decorations fluttered in the breeze, and the cheerful discussions filled the air, but I felt detached from the merriment around me.

Gladys was dead, and we didn't know why.

In three hours, the steps of the Imperial Library would need to be cleared for Governor Jatron Path's opening speech, marking the official start of the festivities. My thoughts drifted to the Denver, the small ionocraft named after the ancient city that once stood where Sanfelton City now thrived. Its crew was busy unloading precious books from the ruins of the Library of Parthia, a library that had been built after the Great War but had suffered during the Cataclysm. The sight of the ancient tomes, some barely holding together, filled me with awe and sadness.

"Solace!" a familiar, condescending voice called out. I turned to see my cousin, Darla Martin, striding toward me with an air of superiority. Darla's usual demeanor of haughty confidence was intact, but her eyes betrayed a flicker of anxiety. "Have you heard from Governor Path yet?"

I shook my head. "No, not yet. He's supposed to arrive soon."

As if summoned by our conversation, Governor Jatron Path appeared at the base of the library steps. He was a tall, robust man, his gray hair neatly combed and his ceremonial robes flowing around him. Despite the gravity of the situation, he managed a warm smile as he approached us.

"Ah, Solace! I thought that tall, raven-haired beauty must be you," he said, his voice filled with a familiar warmth. I managed a weak smile, but the words felt hollow.

"Greetings, Governor Path," I replied, placing my right fist against my chest and bowing low in a formal salute. "I believe it's considered a grave offense to lie on the first day of Saint Atrize's festival. She will be frowning to know you have done this even before your grand speech to us this day."

Governor Path chuckled softly, but his eyes were filled with concern. "What lies? Your hair is the color of--"

"Parched dirt," I finished for him, a hint of a smile tugging at my lips. "And my eyes are like the gray of a weathered barn."

Governor Path's expression grew serious. "I received your message about Gladys. I'm so sorry for your loss. She was an incredible woman."

I swallowed hard, trying to hold back tears. "Thank you, Governor. Her death was... unexpected. We found mice in the communication equipment, which is why we couldn't send word earlier."

The governor's brows furrowed in concern. "Mice? That's unusual. Your ship is usually well-maintained."

"I know," I replied. "It's one of the many things that doesn't add up."

Governor Path placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "I will order a thorough inspection of the Denver. We need to get to the bottom of this."

I nodded, grateful for his support. "Thank you, Governor.  Head Librarian was the closest thing I had to a mother. Losing her... it's been difficult." Then I turned to bark at one of the workers unloading the craft, happy for the momentary distraction, "Careful! Those are paperbacks! Don't allow them to crumble before we get them to the restorers!"

The porter righted the load with help from another worker, and I breathed a sigh of relief. That we'd found paperbacks among the treasures in the Parthia Library was miraculous. It was only because the books had been in sealed chests in an airless room. The library had been state of the art in its day, and that room had escaped the disaster. We had one hundred priceless paperbacks to thank for it.

Governor Path stood beside me, watching the activity with a thoughtful expression. "These paperbacks are a remarkable find. But about this business with Head Librarian Gladys, Solace. Is there something else on your mind?"

I hesitated, then decided to confide in him. "It's the way Head Librarian died. It was a sudden inflammation to her magicore. She fell into fevers and delirium soon after we visited the island of Paranon to pick up a small load of books. She had a long conversation with the librarian there, Helen Weaver, and returned to the ship disoriented. The fever set in twenty-four hours later."

Governor Path's eyes narrowed. "That does sound suspicious. Was Helen questioned?"

"She was, but they were in full view of all of us while they spoke. None of us saw anything to suspect," I explained. "But the mice in the communication equipment... it feels like more than a coincidence."

The governor rubbed his jaw, deep in thought. "It does, and I hope I will uncover something in my investigation. In the meantime, I have a proposal for you, Solace."

I looked at him, curiosity piqued. "What is it, Governor?"

"I want you to take on the role of Head Librarian," he said, his tone serious. "You have the knowledge, the skills, and the dedication. Gladys believed in you, and so do I."

My heart skipped a beat. The weight of the responsibility felt overwhelming, but at the same time, I felt a surge of determination. "I... I would be honored, Governor. I will do my best to live up to Head Librarian's legacy."

Governor Path smiled, his expression filled with pride. "I have no doubt that you will. But be careful, Solace.  Some might not be pleased with your appointment."

After glancing at Darla who was indeed making a sour face at the news,  I turned back to the workers again when I saw them unloading boxes meant for the smaller annex library on the Sanfelton Academy's southwest campus. "Not those! Put them back on the Denver. They go to the southern annex."

My older cousin, Darla, was struggling to maintain her dignity. She had just turned twenty and had been appointed a receiver just recently. Receivers cataloged all sought books and signed the receipts on behalf of the Library. According to the gossip among the crew, she had allowed her position to go to her head. They complained that she was obnoxious in her behavior because she was overly bossy and insolent.

Darla had a nose so pinched and high that it always seemed like she smelled something awful. She wore her ash blonde hair in a severe ponytail, which, along with her downturned lips, made her appear very stern. She was several inches taller than me, which she liked to use to make her seem more imposing.

"Governor Path, I wish you would reconsider your decision." My cousin gave Jatron an ingratiating smile, then stood next to me and looked down her nose in my direction. I was used to her looking down on me, ruined noble that I was. But how dare she not give Head Librarian her due respect by calling her by name? Before I could berate her rudeness, Govern Path spoke up.

"My heart is rent in two for the loss of Head Librarian." He stressed the words, Head Librarian, and gave Darla a pointed look.

Darla Martin placed her fist against her chest and bowed in silent apology. Then she said, "Head Librarian had a long career and was worthy of her position. It's better to have Well Born adults in places of authority, don't you agree, Governor?"

I was going to hear this again, was I? Darla had been livid that I took over command as acting Head Librarian when Head Librarian Gladys died.

Governor Path shook his head. "As long as one understands one's business, age or status shouldn't matter. Our friend Solace understands it well and doesn't require oversight or instruction."

Darla's contempt oozed from the look she darted at me. "Indeed? I believe she's young and impulsive. Why, Head Librarian was not even cold yet, and she was acting all high and mighty, taking over command. We lost a whole day going off to Janesport on her whim."

"Darla..." I couldn't believe she was badmouthing me like that.

"As a Librarian, it was within her right to assume command when Head Librarian died," Governor Path harrumphed at her. Librarians held a higher status than Receivers. Darla flushed and pursed her lips angrily.

Another of the porters tripped on the ramp and dropped his box, and I shouted over to him, "Alvin, give the box to George and go rest! In fact, everyone take a break!"

Darla's loud, strident voice was creating a scene that wasn't escaping notice, and the workers were making mistakes while trying to listen. I noticed the strained looks on their faces as they tried to focus on their tasks while eavesdropping.

The men and women unloading left the rest of the work and headed to the cantina near the library. One of them called out, "Thanks, Solace!"

Governor Path gave Darla a hard look, then made a shooing motion at her. "I've made my decision. You may attend to your work, Receiver Darla."

Darla's expression clouded, and she took a step back. At the Governor's insistence that she go further away, she walked back to the craft and took up her inventory device. She jabbed at it as though she meant to murder it, then rubbed her ear angrily. 

"But what was this about your unscheduled stop in Janesport?" Governor Path asked when he was satisfied that Darla couldn't hear.

I lowered my voice. "Head Librarian asked me to give Madame Claire from the museum a book and to receive a letter I am supposed to deliver to a Mr. Adams in Whitehall."

"And did you find Madame Claire?"

"I did not find her at the museum. She was at the library in Janesport with Janicen."

The Governor glanced at Darla again, then pulled me by my elbow until we were farther away. "How was former Head Librarian Janicen Weaver?"

"She seemed well enough, all things considered." The plain, mousy woman seemed skittish, but with her situation, likely any visit from a Sanfelton vessel might be cause for nervousness. I was surprised that Helen didn't ask me to speak to her sister, but she must have been still embarrassed by the woman's alleged crimes.

"You saw her then? I figured she might hide within the stacks." He hmphed and shook his head.

"Yes, when I found Madame Claire, she was there with her. Madame Claire seemed unwell" I frowned at that. I hadn't considered it before. I filed the realization away. It might be important, but Madame Claire was well past her fifties, and it wouldn't be unusual for her to be unwell.

"Did you speak to Librarian Weaver?"

 "Janicen spoke to me first."

"What did she say?"

I inhaled and twisted my lips with my fingers as I tried to recall and synthesize the information. "Nothing of note. She was dismayed at Gladys' death and asked for details about both her and Helen. She asked about the ship and its problems with the mice. She wanted to know where I was going. I let her know, and she wished you well."

The governor looked thoughtful. "I am both pleased and heartbroken that she remembers me. It was a terrible business, the censure of the Janesport library." The governor tutted and tapped his fingers against his large belly. "I wonder though at her questions..."

"I don't believe they are spies for Beltrit."

Janesport was only guilty by proximity in my eyes. It was the farthest beacon of the Sanfelton Empire and was 1700 miles off the western coast of Beltrit's island chain, and close to the nation of Aluraparine. To say that the island was highly contested would be an understatement. 

The governor shushed me. "Be careful what you say about this matter. Showing pity to them might cause others to suspect you of being an enemy sympathizer."

"I'm not sure how. I was simply following Gladys's last wishes."

He patted me again. "There might be those who will fabricate what they will, so be careful. But enough of this worry for now. Will you attend the festivities with the rest of the crew?"

"No sir, I plan to go with my father to light a candle at St. Perrin's for my mother and the Head Librarian."

 "Head Librarian Gladys loved the church. She will be happy you did."

I didn't mention that I would also meet with my boyfriend, Mercury, as Governor Path worried just as much as my father did about me consorting with a nephew of the Emperor.

"Thank you, sir." I pursed my lips to keep them from spilling that secret. As I turned to leave, Governor Path stopped me again. 

"Oh! Before you go, Solace, what do you think of Darla? She hasn't had much good to say of you." Governor Jatron's bushy brows furrowed.

"It's no secret that we don't get along. Cousin Darla never liked me very well, which became evident when my father lost his status as a count. But she is very good at her job as a receiver. I don't find fault with her work. With the death of her own father, she's the main income for her family since her sister, Peony, doesn't make much as a Junior Librarian."

Governor Path smiled at me benevolently. "That's most gracious of you. How is your father?"

"He is doing well, although his leg still troubles him."

"But now that you will have a craft of your own, you will rise in rank once more and be able to care for him better."

I glowed from the joy that realization gave me, though it was tinged with guilt. Perhaps with enough merit, I could buy back our title and reestablish our reputation. But as much as the thought thrilled me, it felt wrong to feel happy about something that came from Gladys's death.

Governor Path seemed reluctant to let me leave, worry etching his brow. "Solace, please come by to speak with me tomorrow. I might have some matters regarding all this business with Head Librarian Gladys to discuss with you. "

"Okay, Governor, tomorrow then."

As I started towards St. Perrin's church, I spied Darla giving me an odd smirk as she fiddled with her ear again. I was about to go up to her to see what she might have been scheming but was assailed by a small body that knocked me clear over.

"Solace!"

I looked up at my attacker and smiled warmly.

"Emily."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.3K 2.6K 22
A millennium ago, the Cauldron chose Canna as its Keeper. At all times, she can feel its presence, hear its whispers. She traverses the faerie realms...
225K 15.7K 38
GROUNDHOG DAY mixed with SIXTEEN CANDLES and a splash of DOCTOR WHO. A boy forever reincarnated as himself meets his soulmate for the 200th time, bu...
1M 41.6K 137
Tw: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thank you. (Book two in the Starlight seri...
45.2K 1.3K 36
After the war with Hybern, Canna was free. Free to live as she pleased, not shackled to a tyrant king, forced to harm and kill. The Cauldron was sent...