Collide in Plain Sight

By barngrjl

Harlow isn't sure what to think when she wakes up somewhere she's never been. With a man she doesn't remember... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue

Chapter 13

3.7K 186 30
By barngrjl

Harlow

I yawn and stretch, the light from the window confusing me. It's normally bright this time of day, so I peek my eyes open and look through the curtains. It's a gloomy, rainy kind of day. 

My favorite. 

I grin to myself and shuffle back to bed, burrowing in the blankets. Days like this make me want to stay in bed all day. 

Or Pierce's bed. 

The thought floats through my brain so quickly it takes me by surprise. But as I think on it a little more I realize it's not a totally unwelcome thought. The idea of snuggling into his broad chest, his strong arms wrapped around me...

 I let out an involuntary groan before chastising myself. He stole me. Kidnapped me. Trapped me in his gorgeous house. 

Then treated me better than anyone else has in my entire life. 

The jerk. 

He stalked me, kidnapped me and then made me like him. 

The audacity. 

I chuckle to myself, pushing up out of bed and heading into my bathroom to shower. Pierce is usually up this time of the morning, already making breakfast. As I finish and dress I feel a strange sense of quiet settle over me. I wander through the house, walking down the stairs. Normally Pierce is bustling about, but the kitchen is empty. I go to check in his room when I notice a computer sitting on the countertop. It peaks my interest, since the only piece of technology I've had access to this whole time is the TV. I amble over to it and see a note laying next to it. 

Good morning, sweetheart.

I'm sorry to leave like this, but I got an urgent call from one of our engineers last night and had to go into the office. I won't be gone long, I'll be home in time for dinner. I made some breakfast and lunch for you. They're in the fridge. Don't worry about dinner, I have a special treat planned. When you wake up, if you want to use the computer to video chat just hit the call button. It's all set up. 

I miss you already. 

Pierce

I read the note a couple of times before walking over to the fridge. Sure enough there are meals and snacks already prepped for the day. I grin a little, but can't help but feel the emptiness of the house around me. I've never been here alone and don't particularly like it. I touch thes computer to wake it up and the video call is waiting for me. I press call and wait as it chirps. A few moments later Pierce's face comes on the screen, smiling as he enters a room and shuts the door behind him. 

"There's my girl." he says warmly and I feel my cheeks heat in a blush. "I'm sorry." he adds. 

"For what?" I ask. 

"Leaving you alone. I hated to do it but I needed to work on some equipment." he says. 

"It's alright. I'm a big girl I can be left alone for a day." I say, my emotions betraying my words. I hadn't realized how attached I'd grown to him until he was suddenly gone. 

"Well, call me anytime you want. I'll just be working on some lab equipment. And I'll be home later today." he says. 

"Alright. Have a good day." I say, my hands nearly refusing to hang up the call. 

"You too, love." he says before his face disappears from the screen. 

I sigh and pull out my breakfast, warming it up and picking at it before I give up trying to eat. I peruse the laptop a little, surprised he left me with it. Surely I could figure out a way to get ahold of someone to get me out of here. I consider it but honestly, I don't want to. 

Shortly after lunch I get bored and wander down to the TV room. I take the computer with me and curl up on the couch before calling Pierce again. 

"You alright, sweetheart?" he answers right away, worry in his voice. 

"Yeah. I just miss you." I admit. He chuckles and smiles at me, setting his phone down so his hands are free but he can still see me. 

"What are you up to?" he asks. 

"I was going to watch a movie or something. I'm kind of bored." I admit. 

"We'll have to plan a trip. Take you somewhere new." he offers, making my heart patter at his suggestion. 

"I would like that." I admit. He grins again and starts tinkering with something. "What are you doing?" I ask. 

"Trying to replace a spring in here. It's not turning right." he explains. I nod and flip through movie options, just having him on the screen next to me somehow making me feel a little more at ease. 

"Ah, fuck." he murmurs as parts go flying all over the place. I giggle and he looks over at me, smiling slightly before returning back to his work. "You enjoying my frustration?" he asks. 

"Only a little." I tease. The door opens and someone says something to him. He nods and looks back at me. 

"That was my brother. He hasn't stopped bothering me since I got here. Just him alone has reminded me why I work from home." he murmurs bitterly making me chuckle. I click play on a movie and the opening credits start to play. 

"Would it be weird to have you here while I watch a movie?" I ask. His eyes flash up to mine and his face softens as he watches me for a moment. 

"Even if it is, who cares?" he asks. I smile at him and nod, turning the screen slightly so he can see both me and the TV. 

I settle down into the blankets and pillows, half watching my movie and half watching Pierce. He's entirely focused on his task, other than the infrequent glances he shoots towards me to see if I'm still here. I watch as his strong hands work, the muscles in his forearms flexing below the cuff of his rolled up dress shirt. His brow furrows in concentration, his teeth biting into his lower lip. I imagine him doing the same thing as he focuses on me instead of the equipment in his hands.

"Must not be a good movie. You seem more interested in what I'm doing." he jokes, pulling me from my erotic fantasy. 

"I've seen it before. When will you be home?" I ask. He chuckles slightly at the question and puts his tools down. 

"I'm just about done. Then I have to pick up dinner and it's about an hour drive." he says. 

"You can skip dinner. I can cook." I offer, but he shakes his head.

"The only reason I agreed to come and do this was so I could pick up one of your favorites. Don't worry love, I'll hurry. Unless you'd like me to be gone longer?" he questions and I shake my head. 

"No. I don't like it here without you. It's too quiet." I admit. He nods and stands. 

"Someone else can finish this it's almost done. I'm on my way home." he says, my heart stuttering in my chest at how quickly he threw work away to come back to me. I almost consider telling him not to worry about it. That I'm fine by myself but the truth is, I feel like some of me is missing. Like there's a hole in my chest and I need him back to feel complete. 

"Drive safe." I say, grinning as he throws on a coat and puts his keys in his pockets. 

"I'll see you soon." he says warmly before he disconnects the call. 

I get up and take another shower, wanting to feel fresh for some reason. I even put a little more effort into what I'm wearing, opting for a cute dress with a sweater over top. I haven't worn anything other than comfy clothes since I got here and I can't help but wonder if he'll notice the difference. 

I go to the kitchen and find ingredients to make some quick and easy cookies for dessert after we eat whatever he's bringing home from dinner. I pull the last sheet out of the oven and set it to cool on the countertop just as I hear the door open and close. I don't know why I'm nervous to see him but my heart starts to pound as I round the island to greet him. 

Pierce walks into the kitchen with a large bag in his hand. When he sees me he stops, looking me up and down before he walks towards me slowly. 

"You look beautiful, sweetheart." he murmurs, setting the bag on the counter before reaching for me. 

I laugh as his arms encircle my waist and he pulls me gently into a hug. He holds me for a long moment, taking a couple of deep breaths. 

"Thank you." I practically whisper, tucking myself into his chest and letting him hold onto me as long as he wants. He presses a firm kiss to my head before setting me loose.

"Well, I won't be doing that again." he says firmly. 

"Doing what?" I ask, watching as he starts pulling things from the bag. A heavenly smell starts to waft through the room and I barely pay attention to his response. 

"Going into the office. That place is full of... people." he says with a disgusted tone that has me cackling out a laugh. 

"What did you bring?" I ask. 

"Tacos. Carne asada. From the little place on the corner that you like." he says. My stomach flops as he sets some in front of me. A few weeks ago it would have freaked me out that a man I barely know is familiar with all of my favorite restaurants, clothing brands and shampoo, but now I just find it endearing. 

No one has ever cared about me enough to learn all of these things. Except my mom, maybe, but with Pierce it's different. 

"This is amazing. Oh my god they're still hot!" I say excitedly as I unwrap the first bundle.

"I had one of the interns run out and get this special bag that retains heat. I'm hoping the cook there will teach me how to make them, but I may have to learn Spanish." Pierce says, looking thoughtful as he unwraps his own food. 

"You'd learn another language just so you can make me the food I like?" I ask incredulously. He looks up at me, his brow furrowed in confusion. 

"I'd do anything to make you happy. I feel like I've explained this before." he teases. "Plus, I don't think I'd have to learn the entire language. Just a small bit." he says, grinning widely at me before taking his first bite.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Mine By Kami

Romance

244 2 8
Avery is a shy girl. Her best friend Jess is popular. Together they make the perfect duo. Until Matthew arrives, and shakes up their friendship when...
530 23 5
Avery loves her brother and cherishes the relationship they share. She has never feared ever losing him, until she kissed his best friend and pro hoc...
262 23 17
Nessa has been on the run and staying off the radar. With no real friends or family what happens when she needs help? She must fight for herself beca...
Captured By Rachel Singletary

Mystery / Thriller

7K 228 19
This story is about a teenage girl who is having dreams about being captured by this strange man. Now in the real world, she is being stalked by this...