1. THIS IS ONLY THE BEGIN. ST...

By FeniceAlbatros32

Did you fall in love with Can and Sanem's fairy tale and were left with that longing to know how the story wo... More

MESSAGE FROM THE AUTHOR
1. Bodrum - Orak island
2. The idea
3. Mihriban's estate
4. Istanbul - the last boat awakening
5. Time to return
6. The homecoming of CapCan and Macho
7. Tatoo
8. The arrival
9. Home sweet home
10. In the vegetable garden
11. Sister Mihriban
12. The plan in the agency
13. First night on the mainland
15. Chaos in the agency
16. They are back, baby!
17. Life Change
18. Welcome back Can & Sanem
19. Metin
20. A new chapter
21. Aunt Remide's project
22. And now?
23. Awakenings that are good for the heart
24. For every beautiful thing
25. Not a farewell, but a goodbye
26. The envelope
27. For Can & Sanem
28. The Decision
29. The signature
30. The family house
31. Signals
32. In sickness and in health
33. Life's best surprise
34. The first ultrasound scan
35. The announcement
36. Sometimes they return
37. An unexpected arrival
38. Face to face with Ayhan
39. Surprise within a surprise
40. The nursery
41. The new member of "The Sanem"
42. Dear diary...
43. -1
44. Presentations
45. The launch of the trilogy
46. Three: the perfect number
47. Return to normality
48. Ladies' night
49. Memoirs
50. Days to remember
51. And they all lived happily ever after (FINAL CHAPTER)

14. The surprise

1.3K 84 4
By FeniceAlbatros32

It was eight o'clock in the morning. The alarm clock rang. Can woke up and with one hand turned off that annoying sound. He looked out of the glass windows in front of him. It was a beautiful day. They had forgotten to close the curtains last night and a beam of light illuminated the room. He looked down and saw that Sanem was motionless, sound asleep and completely curled up on his chest. She had practically never changed position.

At that moment he mumbled something unintelligible and changed position slightly. She had turned her face right up in Can's direction and had raised one arm, resting her clenched hand on his chest. She had assumed exactly the position of an infant sleeping supine on its parents' chest. Can stopped to look at her and smiled softly. He brushed a lock of hair away from her face, which at that exact moment was reached by a ray of light coming from the window. A sign that the sun was rising in the sky.

In that moment the light was perfect. 'She looks just like an angel,' Can thought to himself. It would have been perfect to take a picture at that moment, but his camera was resting on the desk at the entrance to the room. And that meant getting up and consequently inconveniencing Sanem. So in order not to miss the moment and immortalize her, he grabbed his mobile phone from the bedside table beside him and took several photos. Can was not a fan of selfies or even photographs taken with his phone. Being a professional photographer, he preferred a real camera. Maybe a vintage one! It gave him more satisfaction and he had better control of the light with it. You could say he was an old-fashioned photographer, but he was absolutely a master craftsman in his work. Once they were done, he checked the shots and all in all they hadn't turned out so bad.

After all, having a state-of-the-art smartphone had its merits.

Then he looked up at his camera on his desk and thought that he still hadn't downloaded the latest photos taken on their return trip. He still had to check the folder with all the ones from the rest of the trip. Between landscapes and sunsets, Can had captured every possible and imaginary facet of his wife. She was the real star in most of the pictures he had taken, and looking at the ones he had just taken, an idea flashed through his mind. Perhaps he had just found a possible gift for their second wedding anniversary. Then another idea flashed through his mind, which he immediately put into practice. From then on, he would put one of his cameras on the bedside table. Within reach. So as not to miss any more opportunities like that.

She looked at Sanem and slowly stroked her back with continuous gestures. She was so sorry to have to wake her up, but it was necessary. With Mihriban, if all went well, they had a lunchtime appointment at the agency. He leaned towards her and whispered softly, stroking her cheeks with two fingers: "Sanem?"

"Sanem, Love?"

Sanem moved and slowly opened her eyes. She focused on Can and smiled blissfully. She was still in dreamland. "Can?"

Can leaned down and kissed her. "Good morning."

"Good morning." she replied, stroking her face and resting her head back on his chest.

"Oh god what time is it?" Sanem snapped, pulling himself up suddenly.

Her hair were shocked.

Can immediately placed them behind her ears.

"It's about 8.30. The alarm went off at 8, but it was early, so I didn't wake you up. You were sleeping so blissfully."

"You watched me sleep until now, didn't you?"

Can brightened up and smiled like a child. Then he took her face in his hands and kissed her on the cheek.

"You were so sweet I couldn't resist," he told her. "But now we'd better get up or we'll end up being late."

"Yes, you're right. I'm going to take a shower and get dressed."

"OK, I'm going to take a shower in the other bathroom too. Then I'll make breakfast."

"What time should we be at the agency?"

At 12.30 we have to be there already. We have to wait for the right time to go in."

"OK. I'll go."

"Good, I'll wait for you at the table."

Sanem ran off and immediately came back to kiss Can on the cheek, then she quickly ran to the bathroom. Can smiled and watched her run away.

30 mintues later he had already dressed and set the breakfast table outside, given the sunny day. He was just curious to see which outfit his wife had decided to wear. For their return to the agency as heads of the company after about two years apart, and for the meeting with family and friends, they had decided to dress in a special way. Each in their own bathroom, they carefully chose their accessories and hair styles, without the other knowing anything. They had not coordinated. There was no need. After all, it was their souls that were well 'matched' to each other. And although they had never agreed on their outfits, they knew that in spite of everything, something would be unintentionally or intentionally matched. While fooling the wait, Can checked his phone in case there were any calls or messages from Mihriban. So far nothing.

Just as well, he thought to himself: that means everything is running smoothly.

At that moment Sanem arrived. In the end he had chosen a silk, off-the-shoulder, white, long dress with a slit that reached up to mid-thigh. On top she had paired a long, white, see-through jacket that allowed a glimpse of the dress underneath, to which she had combined a fine belt at the waist with a silver pandant buckle with an ethnic silver necklace with several pendants representing the symbols most important to her and Can. These included the Albatross and the Phoenix, but also her and Can's initials and much more. A star, a flame, and a wave of the sea. A boat. A book, a goose feather, an anchor, a small reproduction of her amber pendant and so on. And the pendants could always increase. It was a very large necklace that nicely occupied the space of the 'V' neckline of her dress. It was all part of her. She wore her history with Can. Moreover, that was a special gift her husband had had made to an artisan in Ecuador before arriving in the Galapagos, so it was invaluable to her. She also wore small silver earrings with a Phoenix feather pendant and many silver bracelets accumulated during their travels.

Her hair was loose and natural. Rebellious, but chic. She wore her uniform on her left side, and her hair was shifted all over her right shoulder, allowing a glimpse of her earrings. On one lock, Sanem had hung the Albatross clip, to which the Phoenix clip had also been added en route. Obviously on the ring finger of her left hand was her wedding ring and engagement ring. She also wore the moonstone ring under her dress, but she never showed it, not because she was ashamed of it, on the contrary! But because that ring had a very personal and special meaning for her, and was meant to be close to her heart. Keeping it there meant protecting her love for Can.

To complete the dress, Sanem wore sandals with long laces, laced along the entire calf height. That white Roman Empire-style dress brought out her tan. She was a goddess! Can was speechless for a moment. Then looking at her closely, he realised that he was right. In her style, there was everything about her and him. He smiled and thought that they were a match! Evidently they had thought the same thing when choosing the outfit. Telling about themselves. Sanem also looked at Can and smiled.

Can was wearing a white linen shirt, the first three buttons of which he had left unbuttoned, which highlighted his pronounced tan and obviously his marble pecs, adorned with a few ethnic wooden and silver necklaces purchased during their sailing, among them, however, there was one that had always been around his neck, namely the necklace of the Albatross.

He's such an Adonis, thought Sanem!

He wore tight, black trousers that showed off his shape.

The ever-present sunglasses could not be missed. This time he had square, dark lenses finished on a gold frame that looked very good on him. On his left ring finger was a gold wedding ring. And on the ring finger of his right hand was the Albatross ring. Between the fingers of that same hand he held the two moonstones that Sanem's parents had given him for his birthday three years earlier. He never took them off. Even at that moment, when he was watching his wife arrive, he was checking his phone with one hand and the other almost involuntarily fiddling with the stones. Like Sanem, he was also wearing something that could not be seen. He had carefully stowed his wife's bandana in the left front pocket of his trousers.

It was his amulet. The object that represented his muse, his love and his everything. And just like Sanem, it was so personal and special that he felt it was his duty to protect her, just like protecting her in the flesh. In that moment, when they looked at each other from head to toe, the shining smiles that appeared on their faces against their tans were the icing on the cake.

Can raised his sunglasses to his forehead, in his usual manner, to look at her closely and gave a good-natured whistle of approval.

"Scoundrel!" replied Sanem to her in embarrassment.

"How does that sound? Is it too much? Have I gone too far?" she asked already flustered.

"No... " Can began, clearing his voice that wouldn't come out.

"I'm a bit out of practice with the fashion thing." admitted Sanem.

"No, on the contrary, I think you look perfect." said Can getting up from his chair. He took her hand and kissed it. Then he had her arms spread wide and spun her around to get a better look at her.

"Absolutely perfect, I'd say." confirmed Can.

"Thank you." replied Sanem. "You look great too."

"You think so?"

"Mh mh, I like the way you styled your hair," Sanem replied, stroking a lock of it.

Can had dried his hair naturally and opted for a half-tail, with a sun-bleached tuft falling down his right cheek.

His hair, just like Sanem's, had grown long.

It was now past his shoulders, but Can's hair was wavy, and the length was obviously shortening.

"Mh, I don't know, I was thinking of calling my friend Hamet to give my hair a light trim. On this I trust only him. I would like to shorten them at the shoulders. They're getting hard to manage now. And then after the trip, they need it."

Sanem walked around Can and looked at him. He dwelt on the details. To close the half-tail he had put on the Albatross clip. Sanem smiled.

"I guess we had the same idea. The albatross and all..."

Can smiled. "Yeah, that's one of the first things I thought of as soon as I saw you."

"Ah, cut them off? Can Divit you surprise me. You talking about cutting your hair? Are you sick? Do you have a fever?" said Sanem touching his forehead.

"Ha ha, no come on! Maybe I just got wiser with this trip."

Or are you getting older, thought Sanem.

Sanem blinked in surprise. She was about to say something but then stopped... she made the zip gesture over her mouth and raised her hands to the sky in surrender.

"Aren't you going to say anything?"

Sanem remained silent.

"Ah, shame on you, Sanem! I understood what you were going to say. You were going to say I'm getting old!"

"Ah, but how...." did you figure it out, she wanted to say, but she caught herself on the back foot and corrected the sentence to... "But how.... I could! Never! I would never allow myself. I don't even think so." she said.

"You're lying." replied Can.

"No, Can really. I've actually been meaning to go to the hairdresser's too. The split ends are starting to show... big time. I admit I feel sorry for your hair. But I think you're right. If you feel up to it, do it."

"Do you want to cut it too? A lot?" asked Can taking a strand of Sanem's hair and curling it between his fingers.

"Mh, I don't know... actually, I like them very long. Let's see, maybe I'll do like you, for now. A little poke and go."

"You're going to Melihat?"

"Melihat? Are you kidding? If I go there I won't make it out alive. My sanity would depend on it, Can!"

"I thought you'd like to go back to the neighbourhood."

"If it was just for the neighbourhood itself, then yes, but we both know very well that they would jump on my neck immediately. I can't take it. Not right now. I don't know, I'll get advice."

"Just don't let Melihat know or she'll be hurt," Can advised her.

"Yeah... mh, I guess I need to think it over."

"Mh, I think so too. But come, have a seat. Let's have breakfast." he invited her.

"Oh, you made creaps! How delicious!" she exclaimed like a child seeing the table set.

"Yes, and I made some accompanying fruit and vegetables, some honey, chocolate, and some cheese."

"Phew! So hungry!" said Sanem.

"Come on, let's eat." said Can.

"Can, the tea!" snapped Sanem all worried.

"It's inside. It's already ready. It's only to be served. I didn't want it to get cold."

"OK, I'll go then, I'll serve it," said Sanem.

"Alright."

Sanem returned with the steaming tea. They took their breakfast quietly.

As they took the dishes back to the kitchen Sanem asked, "Can, did you talk to your father? When were you planning to tell him?"

"No, I haven't spoken to him yet...I don't know how appropriate it is before we've been to the agency."

"Can, are you afraid your dad will spill something to someone? No, because I don't believe that."

"No, I trust my father, but I just want to be cautious. Unfortunately, the past teaches us that every time we did some project that also involved our families, it punctually went wrong."

"Well, I can't argue with that, but your father is a super reliable person. And he's very good at keeping secrets, he's proven that. So I don't see a problem. If you want to call him, call him quietly. He'll be happy to hear from you and... see you. Because you will call him on video call, won't you?"

"Yes. Although I think he'll be much happier to see you. He's a huge fan of yours."

"Ah, I love your father too. In fact, Daddy Aziz."

"Good, don't forget that! Otherwise who will hear him! If he hears himself called Mr Aziz by you he will be offended."

"OK, I'll call him then." said Can.

"Call him." replied her.

Can and Sanem took a seat on the sofa. Can started the video call with his father.

"I wonder if he's still in Equador..." said Sanem aloud.

"We'll soon find out." Can replied.

Mr Aziz appeared.

"Captain Aziz, how are you?" greeted Can.

"Can? Sanem? What a pleasure my children! How are you?" he asked.

"Or should I call you CapCan and Macho?" resumed Mr Aziz.

Can and Sanem burst out laughing. The last time they had seen Mr Aziz in the flesh was about a year after their wedding. When they arrived in Equador, without knowing it, they met there by chance. And that was the first time he saw them as husband and wife. They spent two days together, then each went on their own journey. But they always kept in touch.

"We are very well," Can and Sanem said in chorus, exchanging a complicit look.

"You can tell, guys. Your eyes speak for themselves. You can't even imagine the pleasure you give me!"

"And? So tell me a little bit. Where are you? How is the trip going?" asked Aziz curiously. He hadn't noticed the background behind them, because Can and Sanem were cuddled on the sofa and his son's arm around Sanem's shoulders covered everything else.

"Well dad. We wanted to tell you something." They paused and then continued. "We are back in Istanbul. We are in the Mihriban estate."

"Yes, Daddy Aziz, look." Said Sanem taking the phone from Can showing him the background.

"Ah, I see my daughter, I see." Said Aziz. Hearing Mihriban's name was not easy for him. It was always a blow to the heart even though he was the one who had ended their relationship. Sanem noticed the expression on his father-in-law's face at the mention of Mihriban, but she pretended not to. She wanted to talk to her first. Something wasn't quite right with her, but now was not the time.

"So you have returned to the nest. Well done. And when did you come back?"

"Yesterday morning, Daddy Aziz." said Sanem.

"Ah, good! And the journey was smooth?"

"You won't believe it, but Sanem drove on the way back. That is, from our last stop at least. We were already here in Istanbul. At the island of Orak, remember it Dad?" asked Can.

"Ah, where I used to take you as a child! What dives we used to take!" replied Aziz.

"Yeah..." commented his son.

"Wow! Wow! So Sanem passed the exam. She's made captain now, eh?"

"Oh, Dad you should have seen her. She did so well. A born talent!"

"The boat is my way of life now, don't forget that!" remembered Sanem.

"Ah, Sanem I knew you could do it. You can do it all! Good girl, good!" Aziz exchanged an imaginary fist towards the phone. Sanem returned it.

"Ah, but did you also park the boat once you got there, Sanem?"

"Um... no. I mean..."

"Still needs to improve on that one, but that's normal. It's not easy to manoeuvre, take measurements... but she'll learn." replied Can.

"And tell me... I guess you've already got everyone back!"

Can and Sanem looked at each other, then Can replied. "No, Dad. Not yet. We've only re-embraced Mihriban for now."

"Ah. You took your time before the assault, I see!"

"Indeed..." commented Can.

"Can..." admonished Sanem.

"Just kidding! No, Dad, it's actually because we have a plan.... Or rather, Sanem had an idea that we're about to implement."

"What is it guys?" he asked.

"Well, Daddy Aziz... I wanted to surprise those who stayed in Istanbul so as to take them by surprise all at once. And Can agreed. So with Mihriban's help, we got the team together at the agency under the pretext of an important meeting with two internationally famous stars.... which my parents will also attend, preparing a mini-catering... but they don't know that these two stars... are us!"

"Wow! Sanem...Can... great plan! I congratulate you. Everyone will be amazed." Aziz replied, raising his thumb in assent.

"Ah, that was our intention," said Can.

"Ah, but have you already prepared the kit to get Nihat and Mevkibe back?"

"Mh, hell no!" replied Sanem. "I forgot."

"Ah, don't worry," replied Can. "I took care of it. I have already warned Mihriban."

"Ah, good son! You'll need it!" said Aziz.

"Yeah..." replied Sanem laughing.

"Dad, we ask you a favour," said Can.

"Tell me sons."

"Take care, this has to remain a surprise and Sanem is very keen for it to go well, so..."

"I got it: water in the mouth!"

"Exactly. Thank you, it will only be for today, then everything will be out in the open."

"Of course we'll get back to you and let you know, Daddy Aziz." Said Sanem.

"Of course, of course. Daughter let me know! I care! I'm curious about everyone's reactions."

"Daddy we can't wait to hug you again. Aren't we, love?" said Can to Sanem.

"Absolutely. Daddy Aziz we miss you so much!" said Sanem sending a kiss with her hand to his father-in-law. She loved that man dearly.

"Ah, you guys too, you too!" But it makes me full of joy to see you like this. Happy and smiling. You are a real dose of happiness."

"Dad where exactly are you? I see you are on a boat in the middle of the sea."

"I am in Cuba, son."

"In Cuba?!" exclaimed Can and Sanem worriedly in chorus.

"Are you ok, dad? Are you being treated for your lung infection again?" Can jumped out of his chair. Sanem squeezed his hand tightly for strength He sat back down.

"No, no, no, no! Don't worry guys. I'm fine. I've had my routine check-ups, but that's not why I'm here. I'm fine. Really! Fit as a fiddle."

"Then why are you in Cuba?" asked Can worriedly.

"It's a long story. I'll tell you about it next time."

"Can, I'll go water the plants in the garden, you talk quietly to your father."

"No, Sanem. There is no need for that. Don't go away. I have nothing to hide. You are a Divit. You are part of the family." said Aziz.

Even Can was against Sanem leaving him there. Whatever his father was doing, he knew he needed her presence beside him and her support. He had the impression that his father was not there for fun. He took Sanem's hand standing next to him, looked at her letting her, know he needed her and convinced her to sit back down by his side.

"Guys, I will now leave you to your surprise. I promise I will tell you about it. Don't worry. Everything is fine. You guys think about your plan and keep me posted."

"We would have loved for you to be in this surprise, right Can?" said Sanem.

"Confirmed." said Can.

"Ah, don't worry guys. There will be more surprises to celebrate together. I'm sure there will be. Come on, I'll say goodbye. See you soon, Captain Can and Captain Sanem. I love you guys. Say hello to everyone."

"Wind in your sails, Captain Aziz!" exclaimed Can.

"Bye, Daddy Aziz. See you soon! We love you!" greeted Sanem.

Can and his father ended the call by raising their arms to the sky like the wings of an Albatross. A gesture all their own.

Once they hung up, Can remained silent, deep in thought. He was thinking about his father's words. Nothing good was in sight.

Sanem saw her husband overthinking and knew well why. He was squeezing her hand tightly that she had taken from him during the phone call. Then she came slowly to his face and caressed him, "Can, it's OK. I'm sure it's nothing serious. Otherwise he would have told you. You heard what he said, right? He wants us to take care of the surprise."

"I don't know, Sanem, I mean, even when he had the lung infection, he wasn't as well as he said, and he wouldn't say anything to anyone."

"I know. You told me about it. But am I mistaken, or when you came back and he was staying next door, did you, he and Emre talk? You had an honest, open-hearted conversation. Without filters or pride... am I wrong?"

"No, but... I don't know. Maybe he changed his mind and retraced his steps... I don't know."

"Can, love... listen. I think all three of you have learned your lessons well. And I'm sure he didn't retrace his steps at all. I think he didn't want to say anything because he didn't think it was the right time. Because he wanted us to focus on our surprise. Just for that. Be positive,' Sanem told him. Then she added:

"If you want to postpone the surprise... let's hear from Mihriban."

"No... I don't want to postpone the surprise. You are right. I have to be more positive." replied Can.

"Let's do this. When we are done, we come back here. That way you call him and talk to him right away. If it helps to make you more comfortable... OK?"

"Alright." confirm him.

"Come on, let's take a walk in the green. It will do us good." proposed Sanem.

__________________________

Hello reader :)

Thank you for reading the 14th chapter.See you soon with the next one!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.5K 2.8K 39
Sanem Aydin is living her dream life in Paris, as she is about to graduate from college with the intention of starting a company and launching her ow...
29.5K 2.8K 65
14 year old Sanem, just received a scholarship for being top of her class, to one of the most prestigious schools in Instanbul. It won't be easy for...
112K 4.8K 22
What if Can never lost his memory? So, let's start when they kiss one year later.
92.4K 6K 44
10 minutes can be an eternity or a blink of an eye depending on where you're standing. For Sanem Aydin it was all the time it took to loose what she...