His Secret

By headintheclouds

August Price had grown up and was no longer the little girl too afraid to speak her mind and stand up for her... More

2: His Secret
3: His Secret
4: His Secret
5: His Secret
6: His Secret
7: His Secret
8: His Secret - Family Tree
9: His Secret
10: His Secret
11: His Secret - Authors note
12: His Secret
13: His Secret
14: His Secret
15: His Secret
16: His Secret
17: His Secret
18: His Secret
19: His Secret
20: His Secret
21: His Secret
22: His Secret
23: His Secret
24: His Secret
25: His Secret
26: His Secret - Part 1
27: His Secret - Bonus Chapter
28: His Secret - Part 2
29: His Secret - Part 3
30: His Secret
31: His Secret
32: His Secret
33: His Secret
34: His Secret
35: His Secret
36: His Secret
37: His Secret

1: His Secret

186K 963 65
By headintheclouds

 2011 © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 

 Edited by DarciePeck

 The truth is beautiful,

without doubt.

But so are lies.”

           -Ralph Waldo Emerson

 Picking up the crisp letter that had been pushed roughly through the door I was annoyed to find the left side creased. Stupid postman.

I walked into my small kitchen, the walls were stripped of wallpaper and had a variety of different coloured squares painted on one side and waited for me to choose the best one. Most of the appliances were new, and I still had the habit of running my fingers over the smooth work surfaces. When I first moved here, about a year ago, the whole apartment was in need of love and attention. So far, I had redone my bedroom and bathroom, but as for the kitchen, that also doubled up as a living room, it was a mess.

My apartment may be a one bedroom, but it reminded me of a student’s dorm, it was that small. It’s one redeeming quality was an amazing view of the public gardens and was just right for me. I was too busy with my job at the local café to appreciate a bigger place, and truthfully, I couldn’t have afforded anything else.

Dropping the envelope onto the kitchen surface, I noticed a mark on my T-shirt. I groaned in annoyance, I had only just bought this shirt and already managed to get it dirty. I walked over to the small mirror on the wall next to the front door and sighed. The small mark, just below my breasts was paint. The thing about paint, it doesn't come out. A sigh fell from my lips a final time before I stripped off the T-shirt and threw it on the pile of washing near the sad excuse for a washing machine. The thing kept me up most of the night with its constant groaning. I was pretty sure it was possessed.

Quickly jogging to my bedroom, I pulled out a simple red tank top that read 'Love It.' My best friend Macy bought it for my twentieth birthday last week, and as I remembered that fact, my eyes caught sight of the birthday cards covering my desk.

It felt strange to be twenty.

In truth I had never really celebrated my birthday. No one really cared before about the day I was born. No one except my dad...but he was gone.

I sighed sadly at the memory of my dad. Pushing thoughts of him from my mind, I checked my reflection in the mirror above my bathroom sink. I ran a brush through my golden blonde hair cascading past my shoulders, and then applied a light layer of mascara to frame my eyes. My eyes, in my opinion, were my best feature. The blue irises shone brighter than diamonds and sculpted the blackness of my pupils. If you knew what you were looking for then my eyes gave away what I truly am.

A Lycan, gifted with the ability to shift into the form of a wolf.

With my mother and two sisters, I had grown up in a large town that had been under the protection and control of a pack, and the Alpha had been my father. He died when I was sixteen, and under wolf law an Alpha command cannot be passed onto an Alpha’s daughters, only his sons.

My little sister Lizzie was the baby of the family, and had been spoiled with all the attention any princess would envy. Her smile and blue eyes made every boy blush and every girl green with envy. My older sister Rachel was cruel yet beautiful She could wrap any boy around her finger with a single kiss and made them her slave from one night in bed.

As we grew up, everyone loved them. They had been popular in school, dated the best boys, and had been like gold in the eyes of our mother.

As for me, I had been the reject and outcast. I never knew why, but I was dirt in my mother’s eyes and my sisters loved to rub that fact in my face. My childhood had been tough, but my dad had kept me going. I guess you could say I had been a daddy’s girl, he hugged me all the time and had called me his angel. He protected me when mum would get angry at me and he always treated me to new things. All in all, he had been the best dad ever.

He just never saw the bad things in our family. When he died, it was the worst day of my life. I had not only lost the only person who meant the world to me, but without him my life was painful and empty.

The bullying I had received from my sisters grew worse and the angry words and looks I had gotten from my mother had driven me into crying myself to sleep every night.

Things hadn’t been bad just for me. Without an heir to the alpha position, fights and challenges had broken out. They had gotten so violent and disruptive, it had ripped our pack apart. It had been decided that the pack was to split and all I could do was watch the people I had grown up with, leave and move on to bigger and better places. In the end my home had been no more, and the place that my dad had taken time to build, had vanished.

As for my family, we had known it was time to move on. I had travelled with them, as my mum had helped Rachel and Lizzie chase down rich mates, until one day I  realised that I had been tormenting myself by staying with them. So with that thought, I had packed up, taken the money dad had left me, and moved on to, what I hoped, would be a better life.

My mum and sisters had never even said goodbye.

That had been a year ago. I had met Macy at work and she had been there for me from day one. Even though she’s human, I had told her my secret and Macy had accepted me for who I am. She never judged me or pried into my life; she just stayed with me and helped me rebuild myself. I might live on my own and work in a café, but I was completely happy.

Shaking the past memories from my mind, I looked back at my reflection. Raising my arms slightly, I tried to see if the sun had managed to tan my pale skin, but it was still a waiting game. As for my face, I was very happy to see the new cream I had bought  managed to keep it smooth and mark free. Finally, I pouted my lips and ran my fingers through my freshly brushed blonde hair. I looked good.

It had taken some time to grow up from the dainty girl I was, but now here stood a proud and beautiful woman.

Walking back into the kitchen, I picked up and sipped my cup of coffee I had poured earlier in hopes it had cooled down. However, one mouthful told me that this was not the case, and I spat the hot contents back into the cup. I didn’t enjoy, one bit, the burning sensation that filled my mouth.

Sipping from a glass of water, I was content when it eased the burning. Out of everything that had happened so far, it was living alone that had helped me gain independence and responsibility. I had grown up, become stronger and had taught myself the ability to let no one bring me down. That girl who had let everyone walk all over her, had cried until she had fallen asleep, and had prayed for her dad to come back to life, was gone. I would always miss my dad, but he would have wanted me to be strong, and now I could say I was.

Maybe I could help others who faced what I had been through.

I ripped open the letter I had left on the counter, and gasped at the stiff pink card with brown swirls in the top right and bottom left corners. The brown fancy cursive writing read:

Dear August Price,

Join us to celebrate the wedding of

Elizabeth Price and the Duke Guy Stone, on…

I didn’t bother to read the rest of the card, I was shocked, that not only did my little sister pick a Duke as her mate, which I was sure she and my mother were very happy about, but the fact I had been invited. I dropped the invitation on the counter and just stared at the half painted walls. Should I go? I once again picked up my coffee and swore loudly when it felt like it burnt a layer off the inside of my throat.Damn you stupid coffee.I tipped the mug’s, very hot contents, into the sink and tried to push away any thoughts of my sisters.

………………….

For the first time since I started working at ‘Coffee and Gossip,’ I was late.

I rushed in, while tying my apron and attempting to dodge the business people of the city, who were here for their daily dose of caffeine. I slid under the counter and almost ran away when I saw the look on Macy’s face. It was a face which said, “You missy, are in sooo much trouble.” Her angry face was red, rivalling her fiery hair that  had been combed back. Her eyes were the colour of wild fire and were framed with a thin layer of eye liner. Her pouty lips were covered with a layer of gloss and her cheeks which were adorned with freckles were dabbed with some blush. Her usually lightly pale skin had been neatly sprayed in fake tan. She was very pretty, but I could never get her to believe that. Macy was short, but what she lacked in height she more than made up for with her temper, which was in action right now.

“August do you see all these people?” she gestured to the large queue, while she spoke in a light tone.

I nodded.

“Then please explain to me...WHY YOU LEFT ME WITH THEM?!" She crossed her arms.

“Macy, I didn’t leave you. I just got here, and I’m sorry for being late.”

Her stiff posture relaxed, “God, I can’t be angry with you.”

We both hugged and began to serve the customers, who acted more like animals. I couldn’t judge, I am werewolf after all.

 ...................

“She did what?!” Macy yelled, as I pulled her back into her seat.

I had told her about the invitation I had received and she didn’t like it as much as I did. “My lovely little sister has invited me to her wedding…well mating ceremony.”

She shook her head “How did that little thing bag a duke? A DUKE!”

I shushed her when I noticed that people in the café were looking at us. We were sitting by the window of the café during our break and as much as I wanted to tell her after work, I just couldn’t wait.

“I have no idea,” I responded.

She scoffed, “This Guy person has probably been seduced by her bouncing blonde locks. No offence.”

I smiled, “None taken.”

“Her fake boobs and her fake smile." Macy finished her sentence by striking a model pose.

I nodded in agreement, while trying to hold back my laugher. “And because he is a Duke, it will give my mother and Rachel access to the Royal Court.”

Macy choked on her iced mocha, “Werewolves have a royal family?"

I rolled my eyes. “The correct term is Lycan. And to answer your question, of course we do. The King is in charge of every pack and their Alphas, and his son will take charge when he dies.”

“Is the prince cute?” Macy said, waggling her eyebrows, making me laugh.

“I have no idea. I have never met him, and I don’t want to.” He was meant to be really handsome and supposedly all the female wolves went for him like fresh meat.

"Is he single?”

“Yes, too full of himself to marry or date.”

“He’s a player then?”

I shrugged, “Probably.” I didn’t really care if I was right or wrong.

“God August. You can’t just assume what a person is like,” she responded.

I threw my hands in the air in frustration. “Rich guys, especially princes, are usually players, and being a male Lycan, they can never get enough sex.”

“You don’t know that. Maybe he is single because he hasn’t found the right girl.”

I looked at her like she just said the world was flat, Macy held her hands up in surrender, “Just saying.”

I stood up, throwing the rest of my muffin into the bin, because suddenly, I wasn’t feeling hungry. I once again slid behind the counter aimlessly playing with spilt sugar.

“So are you going?”

I didn’t turn around. “No,” the particles of sugar tickled my fingers as I played with them.

“I know this isn’t like me, but I think you should go.”

I spun around to face Macy. I wasn’t sure if I had heard her correctly. “Excuse me?”

She sighed and came close to me, “I know you hate your family, but you should go to the wedding and show them just how much you have changed. You’re not that same wimpy, middle kid, who took crap from everyone.”

She was right, and no matter how much I tried to twist it, she was still right. I had changed, so maybe I should go and show them just how much.

“Fine.”

……………..

Macy helped me pack and with final teary hug, I left for the airport. I wanted her to come, but with her not being a werewolf, it wouldn’t go down well. The flight to where my family was now living was long, but it gave me the chance to relax and think things over. Have I been invited so that Lizzie, Rachel and my mother could rub their success in my face? Did they miss me? If I wasn’t sure of the right question how will I ever find the answer…I suppose time would tell.

As soon as I collected my suitcase, I made my way to the bathroom before leaving the airport. I checked myself in the mirror one last time. I had chosen a light blue jacket with a simple white tank top and faded blue jeans that hugged me in all the right places. My outfit was completed with cherry red High Tops. Around my neck hung a necklace of an angel that my dad had given me, and my right wrist was wrapped with a mixture of six bracelets. I had left my hair loose and kept my make-up light, achieving a casual yet pretty look.

I exited the airport bathroom, and making my way outside, I climbed into the nearest taxi. I told him the address, and when the car took off I felt the slight twirl of butterflies in my stomach. We drove through a beautiful town that had it all, a lush green forest, which I yearned to run through in my wolf form, a sparkling blue sea, and gorgeous weather. I slipped on my aviator glasses when the sun became too much for my eyes, then just sat back watching the shops and people go by.

The beach house we pulled up to, was just…wow! I got out of the taxi and before I retrieved my bag and suitcase, I handed the driver his money. I stood at the end of a long wooden walkway, which was raised above the white golden sand, and which lead to the raised two story, creamy painted beach house. I made my way down the path while listening to the sounds of seagulls singing in the sky, and the splashing of the sea. I reached the house and took the left staircase and eventually found myself at a door. I put down my suitcase, mentally screaming at myself when I felt the shimmer of butterflies building in my stomach again. This is not the time to be nervous.

I pressed the hot metal door bell and waited patiently for someone to let me in. A part of me hoped that no one would be in and I could just go back home to my quiet apartment and Macy’s jokes. However, that hope flew away in the sea breeze when the door opened to reveal a tall, very thin, olive skinned girl, who was wearing white shorts and purple bikini top. Her black curly hair was being held back from her face with the help of a thin scarf headband. She rested her hands on her hips and her sweet smile was replaced with the look of irritation.

“Well? Can I help you?”

I pulled off my aviator glasses, “I’m August.”

She shrugged, “Sorry, don’t know any August. If you’re trying to get an invite to the wedding then sorry but-”

I cut her off, “I’m August Price. Lizzie is my sister.”

Her eyes widened in shock as she pointed at me. “Oh my god!” She grabbed my hand, dragging me into the house while she kicked the door closed with her bare foot.

“What about my suitcase?”

“Don’t worry. I will get my brother to bring them in.” She stopped walking, dropped my hand and turned to look at me, “I can’t believe you’re here.”

I was confused, “I was invited.”

“I know, but no one thought you would come.”

I crossed my arms. “I’m a topic of conversation I see.” I was now officially pissed…and slightly offended.

“Yes. When everyone found out that the Price sisters had another sister we all wanted to meet you, but people from your old pack told us how that you weren’t that close with your family we just assumed…”

I sighed. “It’s ok. Are my sisters here?”

She nodded her head and dragged me down the corridor, through a large open plan living room and dining room. The far wall was made entirely of glass and looked over the graceful blue sea. The furniture was white with white walls, white wooden floors and a white furry rug. It was ultramodern, which suited some people, but not for me. There was no homey feel to it. There was a plasma screen TV with surround sound that faced the sofas, complete with a PS3 and Xbox. The only thing that separated the living room and dining room was right in the centre. A long thick wall with a sunken, metal pebble fireplace. We strode past a long dining table, made of glass, which had about twenty white chairs surrounding it.

The girl stopped at the glass wall, grabbed a handle, and slid open the door. Once again, I was out in the glorious sunlight. We were on a large wooden deck that stretched around the corner of the house and was wide enough to hold a Jacuzzi, and neatly arranged table and chairs neatly. There was a large group of people that either sat around the table covered in food, or stood near the BBQ grill, that sent a strong scent of sausage to my nose which made my stomach grumble.

I slipped my sunglasses on again, holding my breath, as the girl next to me spoke.

“Hey guys look who’s here!” All conversation stopped as all eyes turned towards me. "This here is August Price”.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

353 24 24
In the captivating world of Aether's Claim, May Bard, a young werewolf, is thrust into a whirlwind of unexpected twists and heart-wrenching choices...
259 8 18
After her sister died she was forced to grow up. To prepare for a title she never wanted and fulfill the expectations of her pack. As much as Samanth...
9.1M 255K 54
Highest Rank: #3 in werewolf THE LAST 15 CHAPTERS WILL BE TAKEN DOWN FEB. 1, 2019 DUE TO THIS BOOK BEING PUBLISHED IN MARCH. He looks over everyone...