Double-Edged Words

By caribebooks

"Kill Her! Kill Her! Do it!" Her screams echoed in my mind. The crazed look on her face seared into my memory... More

COPYRIGHT
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
AFTERWORD
APPENDIX

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

27 0 0
By caribebooks

My lungs burned with exertion. Fighting the need to cough, I shouted, "Zander, wait!" But the man continued his frantic sprint into the depths of the forest.

Branches whipped at my legs, arms, and face. Scratching my skin and disturbing the stitches on my shoulder. My vision blurred under the thin layer of water starting to pool in my eyes. "Zander! Stop!" Where is he? I can't see him anymore. My gaze frantically swept my surroundings, hoping to catch a glimpse of his auburn hair. Oh, no. What if he gets lost in that state? "Zander! Where are you?"

The sound of sniffles hit my ears, and I followed it. "Zander?" Under a tree, my husband's large frame was curled up into a trembling ball of muffled sobs and silent cries. "Love?"

"Leyla's dead." He sobbed. "Benjamin and Calim are dead."

What is he talking about? I-Is this one of his nightmares? But he's awake... "No, love. I'm here. Leyla's alive and Calim as well."

"No, I saw them; they're all dead."

Scared of frightening him further, I slowly inched closer and lowered myself to the ground. "No, love. We're alive. Look. Can you see me?" His eyes peeked at me from behind his forearms. "See, it's me, Leyla." The corners of my lips lifted in a small smile. "And I'm here. Alive. Right in front of you in this beautiful part of the forest under the moonlight." He took a shuddery breath. "Can you do something for me? Can you take a deep breath? Come on, breathe in and out." My lungs expanded and contracted, showing him what I needed him to do. "Come on, try it. You'll feel better, I promise." After a while, he copied my movements like a shy little boy. "Good. Now, I want to show you something. Can you look at me?" I dug into the front of my dress and pulled out his wedding band. "I got you a ring." His lovely eyes once again made an appearance. "It's engraved as you can see, and like mine, it has a meaning. It's very sappy, so you want to listen to this so you can make fun of me later." A soft chuckle breezed through my lips. "Few people like vines. Some of them even think they're a nuisance. But they're so special. For example, when vines wound around a tree, nothing and no one can break that embrace." A quiet laugh bubbled from my heart to my lips while I caressed the indentations on its golden surface. "That vine will not abandon that tree no matter what it does. It's there to stay, like a good friend. They're also very strong and determined. No matter how harsh the environment or how unlikely it seems they will survive. They still go on and grow and on top of that, somehow are able to even grow a beautiful flower to display those wonderful qualities that are hiding beneath its surface."

"So, I'm like a weed that won't go away?"

My head snapped up to look at him. "Is that the only thing you heard?" A smile slowly spread across his face in response. "You know what? You're right, if I give you this ring, it'll be even harder to get rid of you, so I'm going to keep it." I bit back a joking smile.

"No, you already showed it to me. It's too late."

He lunged towards the ring at lightning speed, and my hand recoiled barely getting out of his reach in time. "Wait. Wait." I begged between laughs as he crawled on me to seize what tied him to me for all eternity. "Wait, it's only proper for me as the woman to place the ring on your finger." From below, I shot him a wink making him freeze in place. Lifting his left hand, I slid the ring on his finger and kissed the warm, smooth surface of the ring. "Now, you're mine forever."

With eyes that shone like the stars above, his lips dropped to warm my cold lips.

"Seriously!" Calim's voice shattered the magical moment. "I'm worried sick, running around like a blind idiot in this dark as heck forest, only to find you two canoodling like two teenagers in one of those Lady Valentine's novels."

"Sorry for worrying you." Zander's face tinted red, and he pulled me to my feet.

I shook the dirt off my skirt. "You read Lady Valentine's novels?"

"Yes, have a problem with that?" He snarked.

"No, I love Lady Valentine's novels. I just wanted to know which one was your favorite. Mine's 'Love's Nectar'."

"Don't change the subject. Are you okay, Iskander?" At his sheepish nod, he added, "Good, now we are going back to the campsite, and you will explain to me what the heck happened back there." He turned on his heels and marched back into the trees. "Mine is 'Knight of Passion."

My hold on Iskander's hand tightened, greedily soaking up his warmth to dispel the frigid cold of my thoughts while we walked. How emotionally scarred and exhausted you must be to get to the point of having nightmares while you're awake? Is this a one-time thing? Or will it be a recurring thing now? How will this affect his state of mind if he's tormented day and night by these horrid dreams? Trees became blurred behind the tears in my eyes. Is this the first step down the soul-crushing path of loss of a partner, a lover? Careful not to display to the man beside me the grief that surely dimmed my eyes, I sneaked a look at Zander's face. No, we will find a way to heal his wounded soul and heart. We will overcome this together. "We will." The words caressed my lips in a light whisper.

Zander's hand squeezed mine in a vice grip, clearly bothered by dumbfounded faces that watched our return to the campgrounds.

"What was that?" Reggie asked with hands on her hips.

An appeasing smile lifted my lips. "We're fine, just a little worn down by the whole ordeal."

"What are you talking about? That was a total freak out."

"Madam, please. Can we speak about this later?" Her mouth pressed into a thin line, rendered quiet by the desperate plead conveyed in my eyes.

My heart fractured under the weight of Zander's chagrin slowly wilting his once confident stance. "I'm sorry, it won't happen again."

"I would like to rest in our tent for a while before we have our dinner. If that's alright with you, madam." After Reggie's nod and jerk of her chin towards the closest empty tent, we walked into the safe shelter of the canvas walls.

"I-" He started but was stopped by a heavy convulsing swallow.

The palms of my hands slid over his cheeks in a light affectionate caress. "Yes?"

"I feel like a useless, deranged fool."

His forehead was damp to my kissing lips. "I'm sorry you feel that way. Because to me, you're a man who's sadly been through a lot in his life. Who has not been allowed to have a little time to rest and heal his long-standing wounds." My fingers ran through his copper waves. "And If I may. I can't be your doctor—because only you can heal those wounds—but I would gladly be your nurse to aid you in your recovery." A playful smile drew across my features. "I would like to brag that I can draw a pretty good relaxing bath and give a nice massage."

The heaviness in the air lifted with the corners of Zander's lips. "A massage? Where did you learn that?"

"It's a secret. Now, how about you lay down for a while, and I'll come to get you when the food is ready." I said with a kiss on his lips.

"Alright."

After a look back at his form tucked into a bedroll, I stepped outside to face a worried Calim.

"How is he?"

"He's alright for now. But I worry that his mind can't take it anymore."

"What exactly happened?"

"Well, as far as I know, he saw something that deeply upset him, like a bad daydream. He wouldn't stop saying that I was dead. That you and Benjamin were dead."

"Oh," He exhaled. "Poor guy."

"Can I ask you a favor? This whole situation has taken a toll on all of us, and there's no chance for us to take a breather without putting our friends and family in mortal danger. But, instead of relying on Zander to make all the decisions. And I understand that it is your duty as second in command to let him lead. Can you, like, take the reins a little to lighten the load on his shoulders?"

"Yes, of course. But you have to back me up when he makes a fuss about it."

"Deal."

Back at the firepit, Reggie waited for our return with taut lips and crossed arms. "Well?"

"I'm sorry for startling you guys. As I said, we had gone through some awful things in the past seventy-two hours. That mixed in with the food and water deprivation has made us a little on edge."

"Hmph, well, food will be ready in thirty, so we have time to talk about those awful things you alluded to." Her face changed and morphed with various emotions while I recounted my whole life story to her. From childhood to our marriage, to the present treason accusation, nothing was left behind in hopes of receiving an ounce of her pity. If she pities us, maybe she'll overlook what happened before and let us stay. "Wow, and I thought I had it rough." She spoke after a bout of silence with a self-deprecating laugh. "It's good to be reminded that there are people worse off than me to keep me focused on my mission for a better livelihood and kingdom for all of us."

"If I may ask, why did you decide to go against the king? Were you inspired by your brother's efforts, Ms. Reggie?"

"Well, to tell you the truth. At first, I thought my brother was too brazen. It was true that the common folk were being overlooked to the point that nobles could abuse us, and nobody would say anything about it. That even if we brought our grievances to the High Priest, he was too swamped with complaints that he couldn't deal with them properly. Let alone take them to that selfish king of ours." A heavy breath expelled from her lips. "I thought there would come a time when the situation would fix itself. Either through the High Priest taking the reins or a change of heart from the king. That was until he mercilessly ordered my brother's execution without a trial because he was badmouthing him on the streets, and rightfully so." She shook her head, "And he knew he was going to end up like that. Even if he hid and had weapons to protect himself, he still was going to end up dead."

"I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Thanks. Anyways, I'm not going to be like my brother, who just sat and waited for the right time to act or for his demise, whichever came first. I'm going to plunge right in without a second thought, and you guys will help me."

Calim shifted and leaned closer to us. "About that. I already have something in mind that I think you will like."

"Speak, boy." Reggie gestured to Calim with an upturned palm.

Calim frowned and cleared his throat. "Before High Priest Gustav was executed, he mentioned he had gathered some evidence against the king. If we get our hands on that, we can take it to the council and demand that they depose the king."

"And where is that evidence." A seemingly unimpressed Reggie asked.

Calim's frown deepened, and he answered in a clipped tone. "At the temple. In his room."

"But what makes you so sure that the council will accept that evidence? That the king will let you request an audience with them?" I asked.

"Well, I have kind of a crazy idea that just might work." With a glint in his eye, a sharp smile cut across his face making him look like a maniac. "We hold the king hostage."

Reggie scoffed. "You were right. It is crazy."

"But that evidence you spoke of is useful, and we need to grab it before the king finds out about it," I interjected before tempers rose.

"I agree with that. After we get the evidence, we can figure out a more sane way to take it to the council."

Most definitely enticed by the smell of the fire-roasted wild pork that covered the site with its woody, meaty scent. Zander stepped outside his tent to sit at my side.

"Feeling better?" Reggie asked.

His eyes avoided the bright flames, preferring the cool pale light of the moon above Reggie's head. "Yes, thank you."

"Good, we have a plan on how to get rid of that king who made our lives miserable, and knowing your expertise in battle tactics, I would like to run it by you."

"Getting rid of him?" Zander worried.

"Deposed." Calim offered.

"Oh, yeah, sure."

He listened to our plan with an unreadable face. "Alright, but who's going to get the proof in the late High Priest's room? Because Calim and I can't show our faces there without getting thrown out or worse. Turned in."

My back straightened, ready to take on this mission. "I can go. I can say I want to bring some offerings to the gods and pray for the High Priest's soul and my family's well-being. They already got the news of High Priest Gustav's passing, right?"

"No," Zander said with finality.

Reggie reached her hand out to me. "She won't be alone. I'll go with you, Leyla."

"No." Zander reiterated.

"They're our only chance, Iskander. Especially since they're women. They won't ask many questions since it's commonplace for them to frequent these areas."

"I said no. We will think of something else. Now drop it." His face and voice hardened with authority, discouraging any arguments to make him reconsider.

"Zander, it's the temple. Nobody will hurt me there. Few people know that I'm your wife and most of them are nobles who normally avoid that place like the plague." An internal battle was unleashed behind Zander's eyes.
"Come on, Zander. Remember, I'm a strong woman and a natural-born survivor. I can do it. Don't you trust me?"

"I do, but I'm not very keen to let you out of my sight right now."

"Come on. Do you know how helpful will it be for us to have those documents in our power?"

"I won't be able to forgive myself If you get hurt."

"I won't get hurt. Please, love. Think about Benjamin. Think about Annie, Brigitte, and the rest of the household. They need us, and the only way to set them free unscathed it's to get that evidence." When he didn't respond to my words, I gently added, "I don't need your permission to do this, you know? I will go to that temple. But I would love to have your support in this. I would hate to go behind your back and upset you."

After a couple of deep breaths, he spat, "Fine."

"Thank you, my love."

The next morning was full of nervous exhales, fidgeting, and foot bouncing while we rode towards the temple hidden in a nook in the forest.

Zander grabbed me by the waist and pulled me off the horse. "Remember, the evidence is in the High Priest's room. When you get it, walk down the main road, and at the fork, walk into the trees on the right side of the road. We'll be waiting for you there."

"Ok." I dropped a quick kiss on his lips. "We'll be back soon." Without looking back, Reggie and I marched to the temple at the end of the road.

"Good morning, madam. May I know the reason for your visit to our temple today?" The guard stationed at the entrance asked.

Reggie crossed her arms in front of her. "Why? I've been here countless times, and they never asked me this before."

"It's something we have to ask right this moment. After Father Gustav's passing..."

I gasped. "Oh, gods, I read about that in yesterday's newspaper."

"Yes, since then, we're keeping track of who comes in and out."

"Oh, my, can't you guys go to the capital and fight this great injustice? You're an independent guard, after all."

"The designated stand-in has decided to stay put. He said he will investigate the accusations against the deceased High Priest before he makes a move." The man responded with clear distaste in his voice.

"I'm sorry. We'll pray for the High Priest's soul along with our families. May we come in? We just want to make an offering to the gods and The Great Iz." Reggie spoke in an aggrieved tone with a hand on her chest.

He nodded and grabbed a piece of paper from his stall, "Names, please."

"Leyla and Regina Strong." Regina?

"Thank you, you may come in, ladies."

Inside the temple, everything looked sterile in the absence of the life brought by any shade of color.

"Good morning, sisters. Are you coming in to pray today?" Asked a meek woman.

My head bowed to show my respect. "Yes, and thank you so much for keeping the temple open for us even in these tough times."

"It's what Father Gustav would have wanted. Come with me." The woman led us to a large room housing an indoor shallow pool where a handful of women in their cotton chemises poured water over their heads with small porcelain bowls. "After you purify yourselves, you can go into the room on the right to get your prayer robes." Soon after pointing out the entrance to our right, the woman left.

The tiles were cold under the soles of my feet after we cleansed our bodies of impurities and walked to the imploring chamber. "Your name is Regina?"

"Yes." She whispered at my side.

"It's a beautiful name. If I remember correctly, it means queen, right? It fits you."

"Thanks, yours's is pretty too." She responded, cracking the first smile I'd seen on her permanently grave face.

"So, how are we going to find out where the High Priest's room is?"

"The black pansies."

"Um, I don't understand."

"You know, the black pansies laid by the door of the deceased's family house? It's tradition, and I didn't see any pansies at the temple entrance. So most probably they are by his actual family home back in the dukedom of Grans and his bedroom door here at the temple."

"Oh! Yeah, I think I remember reading about that in a book."

"What do you mean? It's commonplace to do this when someone dies. Have you been living unde—Oh, wait, sorry." Guilt made her recoil with an apology in her eyes.
"Ok, let's run for the stairs now that the hallway is clear." Reggie bolted before she finished talking, prompting me to run after her a few bewildered seconds later. "Alright, no one's upstairs," she whispered after sneaking a peek. "Let's look for his room before someone catches us up here."

Rows of identical pale doors flanked the colorless hallways. Making the splash of black flowers stand out like an ink stain on a piece of parchment.

"Let's hope the door is open," Reggie muttered and twisted the doorknob.

The door opened with ease and stepping over the wreaths and hand-tied flowers lain at the threshold, we set about finding the High Priest's evidence.

"Where would you hide an important bundle of documents?" Reggie asked me while she rummaged through drawers.

My eyes immediately went to his bed and taking hold of the mattress, I lifted it, uncovering a white folder on the base of the bed.

"Well, that was quick." Reggie chuckled at my side.

⚜⚜⚜

The sun glided its way high up in the sky while we waited under the shade of the trees. Please, gods, let Leyla be safe.

"I was telling the ladies an idea I had on how to present the evidence to the council," Calim spoke at my side. "We're going to take the king hostage."

"And how do you plan on doing that? He lives inside a fortress, and obviously, the only way we can step foot in there is in shackles."

"Well, that's something I would like to discuss with you. Do you have any other ideas on how to get to the council?"

"To be honest, it's difficult since they also live inside the capital. And to round them up will be almost impossible before getting caught."

"That's why we need to have the king in our power, as you know, a little incentive for them to quickly give us an audience."

"But still, how are we going to do that?"

"We have to get into the palace unnoticed," Calim responded matter-of-factly.

"Yes, but how?" My voice waned as the faint prodding of an unknown thought at the back of my mind struggled to move forefront.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

716 27 17
(Sequel to The King's Mistress) Lauren Michaelson has just gotten her fairy-tale ending. After years of torment (which left her with anxiety and PTS...
126K 4.6K 41
"I fear I still do not have a name to match the beauty before me." He began. "Must that always be the only thing you wish to know?" She sighed heavi...
588 44 60
Y/N follows in her brave king fathers foot steps in becoming a fearless leader of the tiny country of Covera. After his passing due to a enemy count...
MissFortune By Rosiquen

Historical Fiction

3.7K 98 17
"Here's a little reminder, Wife. You are going to perish." Rosamund, the Daughter of the Duke, the Young Lady was fairest of all the nobles. Who kne...