Game On

StoryTellerByFire द्वारा

The hottest game in history is about to be released. It promises to revolutionize gaming. As the first virtua... अधिक

Chapter Two: "Tutorial"
Chapter Three: "Finding A Quest"
Chapter Four: "For Honor"
Chapter Five: "A Bark Worse Than His Bite"
Chapter Six: "Best Of Friends"
Chapter Seven: "Racial Traits"
Chapter Eight: "State Of Mind"
Chapter Nine: "All Geared Up"
Chapter Ten: "The Platinum Crystal Knight"
Chapter Eleven: "Victory & Defeat"
Chapter Twelve: "Lulu To The Rescue"
Chapter Thirteen: "Sexual Permissions"
Chapter Fourteen: "Gamer Vs. Non-Gamer"
Chapter Fifteen: "Let's Start Over"
Chapter Sixteen: "Home Life"
Chapter Seventeen: "Bump in the night"
Chapter Eighteen: "The Cult Of Ouroboros"
Chapter Nineteen: "We Can Do It"
Chapter Twenty: "Garden Of Mist"
Chapter Twenty-One: Looks Can Be Deceiving
Chapter Twenty-Two: Wanted & Mine
Chapter Twenty-Three: Priceless
Chapter Twenty-Four: Escape Route
Chapter Twenty-Five: Holy Sinner
Chapter Twenty-Six: Grim Hollow Manor
Chapter Twenty-Seven: House Of Horrors
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Raven
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Monstrous Lineage
Chapter Thirty: Bad Memories
Chapter Thirty-One: Taste Of Kindness
Chapter Thirty-Two: Everything I Am To You
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Hungry Kiss
Chapter Thirty-Four: Blood In The Air
Chapter Thirty-Five: Fight Back
Chapter Thirty-Six: The Boys Are Back
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Emberfall
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Keep Fighting
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Social Experiment
Chapter Forty: Snowy Course
Chapter Forty-One: The Snowy Mountains

Chapter One: "Login"

364 20 17
StoryTellerByFire द्वारा

Sean sat before his flat screen tv, watching the game trailer narrator state out information in a deep powerful voice. "Welcome to the Nine Realms. Your journey will begin in Midgard. The home of the humans. Explore each of the Nine Realms in the largest open world game. Dive deep into the roots of Yggdrasil or climb high to its bountiful branches. Make a name for yourself in this cosmic ash-tree that serves as the home between the Nine Realms. Or simply take up residence and escape. Choose and customize yourself between seven different races. Humans. Elves. Dwarves. Giants. Vanir. Aesir. Or Draugr. Not counting the vast hybrids and subraces that you can become for more unique possibilities. For those that seek to rise to the glory of the gods, you'll have to test your steel and prove your worth by defeating the levels within the heart of Yggdrasil. The World Seed. Every level is harder than the last. Every reward worth the effort. You can even earn real money. Money that you can use in game or cash out into your real world bank accounts."

Over the phone in Sean's hand, Mark told him excitedly. "Are you watching the trailer again? Shouldn't you be getting ready to login? I'm almost ready." Sean rolled his eyes, telling him in a low voice. "I'm waiting for the game to finish the download. So, I'm just refreshing the information. I don't wanna go in blind." The tv flipped slowly through screenshots of the game and character races, then the narrator continued. "Player verses player is also enabled. Bring up your honor by helping others conquer your enemies. Or dishonor yourself by taking from all that oppose you, whether friend or foe. There is no war to be waged within city limits. However, battlefield matches can be activated in varies types of private fights. Should you not wish to fight, declining a match is available. Be warned though, while battle within city limits is restricted to such matches. Outside city limits it is not. You can even fell your foes within boss fights to claim all the glory and rewards for yourself." Sean shifted a bit uneasily on the couch.

He could see that causing a problem later on and he wasn't a fan of that type of gameplay. The tv continued to change to show different seasons as the narrator stated on. "The seasons will change, and special events will come with each season. For those seeking companionship, you can marry within the game. No matter the race, or gender of a player. You can even marry the N.P.C.s of the game provided you do what is required to obtain them. You can even adopt kids within the game and create guilds." Sean heard Mark telling his girlfriend over the phone how long he'd be playing for, but he tried to ignore them to listen to the narrator say. "For obvious reasons this game is for adults due to violence, and sexual content." Sean blushed. Sinking down in his seat as the tv showed censored images of characters engaging in sex. He wasn't interested in the game for that reason, but he did like that he had the choice. Glancing at his girlfriend though, he took a silent deep breath. He could imagine the issues that would cause between them if he did.

Looking up from the game's guidebook, she asked him curiously. "You're going to let me play it tonight? This looks like fun." Nodding, he turned off the tv and got up. Heading down the hallway, he mumbled out. "Ya. I might be a bit though. Mark and I were going to explore it." He heard her chuckle lightly, before calling out. "Are you going to livestream it?" Opening his office door, he told her honestly. "No. I wanna jump in and take a look around first. I'll tell you if it is safe to do so." Over the phone, Mark excitedly blurted out. "It's finished. I'm gonna start it now. How far along are you?" Closing the door, Sean walked over to the new gaming chair. Leaning in to see the computer monitor, he woke up the screen and smiled. Easing into the comfortable chair, he removed the visor headset and told Mark with a grin. "All set. See you inside." Lifting his feet to put on the footrest, he typed out his login on the small keyboard under the mounted computer monitor. He was one of three hundred players that had been given the newest Virtual Reality Gaming Chairs to test out. So, he planned to make the most of it.

Adjusting everything to his size and liking, he pulled down the visor over his eyes and leaned back in the chair. The chair started to whirl to life, reclining a little as a voice from the monitor announced clearly. "Deep dive in... Three... Two... One." Sean gasped as the visor before his eyes lit up in sharp colors and he felt like he was mentally being pulled into the headset. He had played around with V.R. before, but this was an entirely new experience. Everything about the chair and visor was designed to mentally take you into the virtual world. He was both excited and terrified to do this. The colors swirled, before he was standing in a golden room. Gasping, he glanced down at himself and couldn't believe the realistic graphics. He flexed his fingers and moved as easily as if he was in real life. A set of lights turned on along a wall before him as a soft voice asked him coolly. "Choose your race, young soul." As he approached the wall, he found himself starring into different sets of mirrors that reflected his image as different races.

The voice told him about the different races as he stood before each of the mirrors. While every race had its appeal, one stood out to him the most. Standing before the Elven mirror. He listened to the woman narrate to him. "The Elven race. Native home: Alfheim. Gifted in magic, light weaponry and armor, and capable of flight. Touch the mirror to choose this race." Despite his fear of heights, he did like the idea of flying. The more he thought about it, the more he wanted it as a safety precaution. Touching his hand to the mirror, he watched the features within the mirror shimmer as his appearance changed to become an elf. His ears grew out to long pointed tips and his cheekbones sparkled with what seemed to be light glitter. His outfit changed to a long tan loincloth that hung down between his knees. A set of green leather gauntlets and shin guards adorned his arms and legs. While across his bare chest was a thick vine sheath that held a single elk horn dagger. Groaning, Sean wrapped his arms shyly around his chest and snapped out. "This is NOT what I had in mind! This is... I feel like I'm..." Sean turned slightly and drifted off as he saw his wings. He looked like a fairy.

The voice ignored his outburst as it told him cheerfully. "You've chosen the Elven race. You will be given the Elven starter gear and some money to get you started. Visit towns for equipment and feature changes. Your character will develop skills based on how you choose to play. Would you like to go through the tutorial for menu and gameplay?" A tiny screen appeared before Sean with a yes or no answer to her question. Sighing, he pressed yes. He hoped that it wouldn't take long, but he was not going to jump into something this advanced without knowing what to do. He didn't want to get mentally stuck in here. When the tutorial ended a few minutes later, Sean felt better about his choice. Elven fairies were fast and nimble. He felt like a fairy assassin. He was so light on his feet. Although, flying was going to need some work... He could only manage to hover and glide. That wasn't counting his bad landings. The voice congratulated him on his ability to use the menu and basics, then told him. "You are ready to be reincarnated from the World Tree, young soul. Your journey begins."

Sean heard a door open behind him and turned. Beyond the door was a shimmering rainbow bridge that led out into pure white light. Cautiously, walking across the solid bridge, he enjoyed how it lit up with his every step into the lush hollow green insides of what seemed to be a massive tree. Upon stepping out into the light, he gasped as he stepped out of a pale ash tree trunk and out into a rich courtyard garden. All around the courtyard, where other players of different races. They were laughing and talking excitedly as a countdown ticked down in the sky. The courtyard seemed to be sealed off by an invisible wall that kept everyone from venturing off into the city. As he walked around, he overheard people saying that the gates would open when the game had official released around the world. Until then, people were logging in and getting ready. It made him feel better that he wasn't the only elf standing half naked in the courtyard. Glancing around for anyone he knew; he flinched when Mark ran up to him laughing.

Taking his shoulders, Mark turned him around to see his wings and chuckled out. "Well, look at you! These are cute." Twisting around, Sean playfully shoved him back as his wings shuddered nervously. Rolling his eyes, he looked over Mark to find something to criticize and smirked. Mark had chosen an Aesir and it showed. His muscular body wasn't just given a flawless shine but was decorated in blue war paint that stood out handsomely on him. He wore dark leather pants with a long sword that was sheathed across his back. What separated the Aesir from looking like normal humans was their extraterrestrial war paint and tattoos that glowed brightly to enhance their strength and power in battle. They were the strongest among all other races. It was not even a shock to him that Mark would pick that one. Of course, he wanted to be considered a god. Gesturing to him, Sean teased out. "Really, Mark?" Mark flexed his arms, chuckling out with a smug egotistical voice. "You're just jealous because I make this look good."

Snorting, Sean reached out to run a finger across Mark's armpit. Mark jumped back with a blush as he curled himself up, prompting Sean to chuckle. Patting Mark's shoulder, he told him a little off subject. "This place is amazing. I feel like I'm... really here. And the scenery is just... gorgeous." Nodding, Mark straightened up as he said eagerly. "Ya. I can't wait to get out there and start testing this out. This game is going to blow minds!" The crowd started to countdown with the clock in the sky and as it reached one, they shouted in unison. "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" The fireworks burst all around the courtyard, lighting up the garden in a golden glow of sparks. People cheered and then a giant shadow appeared over the wall. The giant person was covered in a smoking grey robe, prompting everyone into silence. Placing a hand on the wall, the giants deep voice bellowed out. "Welcome. I'm the Game Master. The creator of this virtual world." People cheered until the man raised a hand that was entirely hidden beneath his robe and announced. "This is my maze and you're the lab rats. I'm sure most of you have started to realize that the logout button is missing. This is not a glitch. I removed it long before you all logged in. You will not be logging out until you little rats beat my game."

Mark drew a symbol with his finger to bring up the menu. Sean peered over his shoulder, watching as Mark checked for the logout button. It was missing. Sean tried to recall if the tutorial had even mentioned a logout button in the menu listings. He'd been so excited to play the game that he hadn't bothered to look for the button. Mark shot him a worried glance, before looking back to the Game Master. The Game Master raised his hidden hands to calm the shouting and startled people in the courtyard. When it was quiet enough, the Game Master continued calmly. "I did this as my own little experiment to see what life's great meaning truly is. I even went out of my way to include three-hundred gamers from around the world to see if their... so-called 'gaming skills' really and truly mean anything in this game of life. This is the life you wanted to live. I wonder how many of you will embrace it." Sean looked at the frightened people around him, then heard the Game Master add with a laugh. "Oh, and before I forget. I would keep your health bars healthy. Because I added a little feature to the headgear."

Instinctively, Sean's hand went up to rub his temple despite being unable to feel the headset. The Game Master shrugged, telling them coolly. "The safety on your headgear has been deactivated. So, should anyone's loved ones try to remove the headgear, you'll suffer neurological damages that will leave you brain dead. Since your mind is so deeply synced with the equipment that your real body will take damage as you do. And die as you do. I didn't want anyone messing with my experiment, you see. However, despite the warnings that have been put out IRL. We have lost a few hundred players. I'm confident now that the word is out though. There should be no further unfortunate deaths. For those that wish to leave the game. Venture to the World Seed within Yggdrasil and defeat the bosses. Every defeated boss will unlock new floors within Yggdrasil's Nine Realms. Collect the keys to the boss rooms. Reach the top of Yggdrasil and you'll have completed my experiment. Allowing you all to return home safely. That said. This will not be an easy task. Every level is harder than the last and with well over a hundred floors that not even my Beta Testers could reach. You'll find that you will truly earn your place in Asgard, at the top of Yggdrasil, if you make it. Let's start the new year off right. Let the game begin. Players. Good luck."

The Game Master then vanished into smoke that drifted on the breeze. Sean inhaled slowly as he processed everything in the stunned silence of the courtyard. Mark glanced at the gates, watching the invisible walls ripple away. People in the courtyard began to scream and freak out as they processed everything. However, it was obvious who the hardcore gamers were. They clustered up with their friends and before long were running from the courtyard together. Sean saw a group run out and turned to Mark. Mark sent him a friend request, telling him seriously. "We should go too. I've played enough Warcraft to know where this is going. We wait too long, and people are going to flood the spawn grounds." Accepting the request, Sean nodded and followed Mark out at a full out run. Running out of the courtyard, Sean saw a human N.P.C. handing out free maps on a street corner and they both snatched one in passing. They had to come up with a plan and figure out what to do. Standing around scared would get them nowhere. They had to do the most basic thing in a game first. Level up enough to survive. To Be Continued...

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

117K 5K 39
Sean's relationship with Mark has been a bit strained ever since the 'Septiplier Ship' got out of hand. When Mark suddenly surprises him with an une...
4.9K 294 15
Life, the most realistic, in-depth, virtual reality game on the market. The game lets people go into the video game and do a plethora of things. For...
61K 4.9K 152
ARCADIA is the VRMMORPG that became humanity's beacon of hope to escape the harsh reality. In 2070, Arcadia was being played by almost 5 billion peop...
337K 1.3K 5
VRMMORPG has been a huge hit since the first full virtual dive-based games were released in 2025, and now, in the year of 2045, a new VRMMORPG has be...