Betrayed in Blood

By SamMariLu

Slowly and cautiously, Camilla crept into the girl's bathroom. In the reflection of the mirrors, she could se... More

Author's Note
Characters
Blood Spilled Playlist
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Four

21 0 13
By SamMariLu

Occupying the gym locker rooms, Zoey and Leah were at high risk of being spotted. Ava knew that when she had suggested they stay there to fulfill the plan. But regardless, there they stood, Camilla's stolen phone in hand.

Only a few minutes ago, she lied her way out of cheerleading practice to head back to the locker rooms, where she knew Camilla had left her phone. It was one of the rules she imposed as captain of the team; everyone had to leave their phones in their locker rooms.

Being an experienced stalker had its perks. After observing Camilla for months, Ava knew the password to both her locker and her phone.

Ava wasn't the scheming type when committing crimes, but Zoey made it impossible for her to act on impulse. She even had Ava rehearse.

"You know what to do," Zoey said, eyes locked on Ava. "Make the call. Use her voice. Stick to the general script. Just don't break character. Do you understand?"

Ava nodded, blinking away from the intense stare. If she wasn't unsure about helping them before, she certainly was now.

She dialed the same number Zoey had her memorize-not before Zoey triple checked that it was correct. She made Ava keep it on speaker, full volume, while she and Leah recorded everything. The phone barely rang once before a deep voice answered.

"Hello?"

"Babe, I don't have a lot of time right now, so you need to listen to me," Ava said.

"Of course," he replied. She frowned.

"I need you to meet me at The Lantern in the Gardens park at 2 P.M. on Saturday. Write it down. Don't forget. I need you to be prepared for anything. Do you understand?"

"Lantern in the Gardens park, 2 P.M., Saturday. Bring a gun, camouflage, duct tape, handcuffs, body bags, and whatever the hell else. I'll make a list, don't worry."

"Good. Be sure you look for me there."

"Gladly."

Ava winced. How could Camilla be so dismissive to someone this devoted to her?

"Don't call or text at all before Saturday," Ava said. "This is confidential."

"I won't, I promise. I love you."

Ava sighed. "I can't say that here, but I can say it to you on Saturday if everything goes right. Make sure it does."

"I will, baby. I love you so much."

"Bye."

"Can't wait to see you then."

"Goodbye," she repeated as she hung up.

Zoey waited a few seconds before saying, "Good. Alright, we need to go."

"Hang on," Ava replied. "You still haven't explained to me what you have planned."

"Leah and I are the only ones that need to know the details. All you have to do is show up at 1 o'clock on Saturday, stay in my sight, and stay hidden."

"Stay hidden? What do you expect to happen?"

Zoey and Leah shared a glance. "We don't know exactly what's going to happen," Leah responded. "We're just trying to be prepared for anything."

"What's your goal by inviting this potentially-almost definitely-dangerous guy to a park?"

"All we're hoping for," Leah said, "is more information about him."

Ava shook her head. "What? Are you going to interrogate him?"

"Of course not. That's way too dangerous."

"We're just hoping he and Camilla will interact in some way," Zoey interjected. "At the very least, he should show up, which could help us identify him-"

"Do you not remember when I said that Camilla and Jared are going to this park together? It's literally a date. They're going on a date. And did you not hear this man-whoever the hell he is-say that he loves Camilla. He loves her. I don't know what you're thinking, but that sure as hell isn't Jared. Whoever he is, we know that he's in love with Camilla and violent. Am I wrong?"

"You're correct," Zoey said.

"And you expect us to watch from afar like we're having a nice little picnic? You're putting all of us in danger, Zoey!"

"Keep your voice down," Zoey ordered. "Did you forget that we're in a locker room?"

"Did you forget that this guy knows we're fighting against Camilla? He knows who we are and what we look like. And he's bringing weapons."

"We're going to get there early to scope out hiding spots near the parking lot. He won't even see us," Leah said.

"But you can't be sure of that. And you can't be sure that Camilla won't find out I was involved in this."

Zoey suddenly squinted. "Are you afraid of her?"

"Of course I'm afraid of her," Ava exasperated. "She's a murderer."

"A murderer who you threatened just yesterday. In fact, you volunteered to do it-to publish the newspaper further exposing her and to confront her about it." Ava swallowed. "What changed to make you suddenly scared of Camilla?"

Shaking her head, Ava replied, "Nothing changed." She paused and looked away. "I just don't think... I don't think it's a good idea to be this reckless."

"Reckless. Ava, you fit the very definition of reckless. That is why I let you join the committee. You showed me that you were not afraid to do what is necessary, and that is crucial in our mission. We're fighting against a murderer-publicly, at that. We have to take fearless action. You knew that then, and you've shown it up until now. So what changed."

"I told you, nothing changed."

Zoey took a step towards Ava. "Something happened yesterday. I heard that Camilla had a private conversation with you after you confronted her. You never did tell us what happened."

Ava remained silent.

"Leah and I were hesitant to share our recent plans with you because we were worried that you may be secretly helping Camilla. But we trusted you with this, and now you're afraid. It makes me think that we shouldn't trust you. It makes me think that you are helping her."

"I'm not helping her," Ava snapped.

"Then what are you afraid of?" Zoey asked, stalking even closer.

Ava's breathing quickened. "She threatened to hurt someone... someone that I care about."

"Who?" Leah asked. Ava had forgotten she was there; Zoey's presence had engulfed her.

"It's André. She threatened to hurt-to kill-André."

Zoey tilted her head, asking, "So, you like André, then? Otherwise, why-"

"I don't just like him." Ava's eyes panned up, hitting Zoey's with intensity. "I love him. I love him too much to let Camilla hurt him."

"She threatened to kill him if you continue to help us," Zoey concluded. Ava nodded.

With a sigh, Zoey continued, "As much as I empathize with your situation-"

"You have no empathy at all!" Ava shouted, stomping in her direction.

"-I still have no reason to trust you." Maintaining her rigid posture, Zoey stepped directly in front of Ava.

"You don't trust anybody."

"I choose to trust the people who earn it. I trust Leah. I trust Amy. I even trusted you-in the past. While it is very difficult to earn my trust, it is very easy to lose it. Avery, you have lost my trust. And the only way you can earn it back is to show me that you are not afraid. Ensure that everything goes right on Saturday, and you will receive my full trust again."

Zoey turned to leave as Ava shook her head. "Camilla is smart." Her voice trembled. "She'll find out I'm responsible for this, and she'll kill André."

Zoey halted in the doorway. In a deep inhale, her shoulders rose. She turned her head to face Ava with an exhale.

"If she's in prison, she won't get the chance."

***

Ava paced the little free space she had in her apartment, her thoughts rambling.

Zoey's words rang in her head. "If she's in prison...," Ava said to herself. "But what would she be arrested for? The police didn't even take her into questioning when she tried to kill Zoey and Leah. According to them, she was only taken into questioning when Amanda and Tiffany died.

"So, am I supposed to just wait and hope Camilla kills someone again? It's been months since she has, and there's no chance she'll do it now after everything that's happened lately. If she does kill anyone soon, it'll be André, and that's the only thing I'm worried about. Besides, the police couldn't catch her on her last crimes. What are the chances she'll get caught committing the next one?"

Ava leaned her arm against a windowsill and looked down. "Is my best bet to wait for another murder and hope the police accuse Camilla? What's the likelihood that a third murderer will show up in this irrelevant town? And for them to commit a crime and frame Camilla? Not likely. Camilla and I are the only free murderers here--at least at Edwardsville High-and if she's not killing, then..."

Ava's eyes snapped up, meeting her reflection in the window. Her dark eyes held a glint.

"I'm the only other killer here," she uttered. "I can do the killing. I can make it look like Camilla is responsible."

Her breath quickened as jumbled thoughts raced through her head. She continued pacing. "I have to kill someone relevant to Camilla's crimes, so it has to be someone in the committee, right? Zoey would never work. Even if I wanted to, I don't think I'd have the chance to kill her. Leah might work. Although, both her and Zoey reported attempted murder to the police and they didn't investigate. Chances are, they don't have a report of the incident at all.

"Then there's Amy. She's been questioned by the police twice after two different deaths, in both of which she accused Camilla. The police surely included her name in at least one report-the disappearance of Amanda Banks, more than likely. That case is still ongoing, too." Ava halted. "She might be the perfect victim."

She grabbed her phone. "But how will I do it?"

As her mind rambled on, she texted Amy, "Hey."

She tapped her phone case. "Would it be ideal to poison her? I don't think I could frame Camilla if I did, but I've never used any other method."

Her phone dinged. "Hey, what's up?" Amy replied.

Ava placed fingers over her lips. "I just wanted to check up on you." She sucked in a breath. "I'm assuming you know about the plan Zoey and Leah put together."

"Yeah, they told me."

Ava paused. "If you're not busy, could we maybe talk in person? I know it's late, but I have a lot of thoughts about this whole thing, and I need someone to listen."

"Sure, I'm just at my house. Come over whenever you want." She sent the address.

Because she hated wasting gas driving her deceased mother's junk car, she chose to bike the distance. It was only 10 minutes out, after all.

As she pedaled that way, she wondered about Amy's home life. She had mentioned having a single mom who was often working long, late shifts. That could give Ava the perfect chance to kill her.

But how would she do it?

She was accustomed to killing using drugs, but she knew none of the crimes linked to Camilla had anything to do with drugs. Amy claimed to have seen Camilla with a knife that she used to kill Amanda. Tiffany, however, was killed using a gun. But Zoey and Leah were both ambushed using knives, so would it be ideal to use a knife against Amy?

How would Camilla do it?

Ava turned onto Amy's street and immediately took in her surroundings. The houses were not too close together, which meant it would be easier to use a gun without risking neighbors overhearing. And considering Tiffany's death-posed to look like she shot herself-killing Amy with a gun could further convince the police that Camilla was responsible. That was assuming they even connected Tiffany's "suicide" to Camilla at all.

Regardless, Ava didn't own a gun. She wasn't sure if she could afford one, much less operate it well enough to kill someone. And to frame Camilla while covering her own tracks-how the hell would she do it?

She didn't have any more time to think it through as she pulled into Amy's driveway. Regardless, her mind raced.

Amy greeted her at the front door. "Hey!"

Ava offered a nod and dropped the bike in the grass. As she trudged to the door--eyes dashing to observe every detail of the house--Amy asked, "Are you alright?"

Ava took in a breath. "Like I said, I have a lot on my mind."

"Oh, right," Amy said, gesturing for Ava to enter the house.

It was only one story tall, and it didn't seem to be very large. Ava eyed the space for hiding spots. Perhaps Amy would hide in her room.

"My mom is working, so it'll just be us," Amy said. "Make yourself at home, though."

Ava faced her. "Where does your mom work again?"

"She's an ER nurse."

"Oh yeah, that must be exhausting." Ava forced her arms to relax at her sides.

"Yeah, she's always working during the day and gets home really late at night." Amy shrugged. "But she manages."

"Damn, is it like that every single day?"

"Yeah, for most of my life. I've gotten used to it, though."

Ava nodded. "Where's your room at, if you don't mind us talking there?"

"Oh, follow me," Amy said, leading her down a hallway as she soaked in every detail. After sneakily peeking into several other rooms--potential hiding spots--they walked into a bedroom with earthy tones. Although larger than what Ava was used to, the room was fairly small. Amy took note of anywhere Amy would be able to hide, particularly the closet on the side. Because it had a door, it could make for an effective option.

Amy sat down on her bed, gesturing for Ava to do the same. "So, I what all did Zoey tell you about the plan?" Amy asked as Ava took a seat.

Ava paused, having forgotten all about what they had intended to discuss. "The plan?" Amy nodded. "It sounded more like a death wish to me."

Looking out, Amy took a breath. "Yeah, it's definitely a risky idea, especially with how little we know about this guy."

"We know enough. He's obviously dangerous, and even over the phone, I could tell that he's literally obsessed with Camilla."

"It'll definitely be a dangerous situation, yes." Amy's neck twitched, followed by her mouth. "But the four of us will be hidden."

"'The four of us?'" Ava repeated. "You'll be there too?" Amy nodded. "But I thought you wanted to avoid interaction with Camilla at all costs. You know that your life is in danger whenever you're near her, right?"

"Yes, I know. I'm terrified at even the thought of being near her, but I feel like I have to be there. I have to know who this guy is, and I have to see how he and Camilla interact with one another. I'm counting on this being the way we're going to finally get evidence against her, so I have to be there. I just have to."

"But you'll be at such a high risk for possibly nothing to come of it. If anything does come of it, Zoey and Leah can handle it themselves. Is it really worth it for you?"

Amy faced her. "I am going to be the one to take down Camilla. I started this whole mission to convict her, and others have gotten hurt or killed because of it. I am not going to let their sacrifices be in vain. Even if it means risking my own life, I am willing to do it to achieve vengeance for them."

Ava paused. "I get that, Amy. I really do. Everyone affected by Camilla has been someone close to you, so I understand that. But I'm not like you. I'm not willing to risk my life to give Camilla what she deserves."

"Even though I completely disagree, I can understand feeling that way. This isn't your battle."

"Exactly. But they're making me fight it anyway."

Amy looked down and sighed. "Yeah, it's not fair."

"Do you think Zoey will change her mind? Like, is there any chance she will let me avoid going on Saturday--without distrusting me afterward?"

"Well, Zoey is...." Amy chuckled, picking at her nails. "She's very stubborn."

"You think?"

Amy smiled. "Oh, I definitely know by now."

"Is there absolutely no chance she will compromise?"

Leaning back, Amy's smile fell. "Her ego is too high. She won't compromise.

Ava leaned back with Amy in an attempt to hide her quickening breaths. If she was unsure before, she was certain now; she was going to have to kill Amy and frame Camilla. It was the only way to save André.

But even if Ava managed to kill Amy and get away it, Camilla might not get arrested before putting the pieces together that Ava framed her. So, Ava would have to somehow summon the police to the scene shortly after the death.

Or, perhaps, Amy could do the honors.

Recalling her past--and few--conversations with Amy, Ava asked, "Do you still worry that Camilla will find you and kill you one day?"

The corner of Amy's mouth twitched again. "Yes. I think about it every single day." She paused, clasping her hands together and swallowing. "I can't go to the school bathrooms alone because I worry she will crawl into the stall and stab me. I can't relax at home because I imagine she will burst through the door and shoot me. I can't even sleep because I dream that she will find me and kill me."

Ava checked and, in fact, Amy had dark bags under her eyes. She had never noticed them before because they had always been there since the two had met. So, too, had Amy's occasional twitches. Ava wondered if those were a result of her anxiety as well.

"I know it sounds crazy to have thoughts like this," Amy said, "but I know what I saw that day. I know Camilla's true nature. I know she killed River. I know she killed Tiffany. I know she is going to kill me next. I just know."

"I don't think it sounds crazy at all," Ava insisted. "In fact, I think it's smart to think that way." Amy turned to her with an incredulous expression. "I mean, other people might see it as paranoia, but I see it as precaution. Camilla really is a killer, and you are at risk every single day by working against her. If you ignore the risks, you might not be prepared for the day she could attack."

Amy looked away, head tugging down. "I don't think it's ideal to be terrified at every waking--and sleeping--moment."

"Then don't be terrified; be cautious." Amy met Ava's eyes again. "Let your fear right now motivate you to prepare yourself for her next move. Do you remember when we practiced how we would call 9-1-1 if any committee member was unresponsive?" Amy nodded. "Maybe you should practice what to do and say when--if--Camilla does attack you."

"Like, do a fake phone call, practice where to hide, or...?"

"All of it. You should practice everything you can. And I'll be here to help you."

"You're going to help me right now?"

"I'll help you now and any day you need in the future. I am always here for you, Amy."

Amy smiled. "Thank you. That means a lot."

"Of course," Ava said.

Her plan was a jumbled mess before, but now she had her sights set on how to reach her goal. The first step was to get Amy to trust her. Next, she had to manipulate how Amy would respond before getting killed. If Ava's plan went accordingly, then Amy was right when she said she would be the one to take down Camilla. If she called 9-1-1 believing and claiming that Camilla was the about to kill her, she would successfully frame Camilla without Ava saying a word.

Then, it would be up to Ava to keep the truth undetected.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

365 97 17
... "You thought this was just your normal cute Romance story? Well...let us just say that, it all started with a bet, and ended with 27 murders. It...
Brutal Bonding By pinkenme

Mystery / Thriller

1.8K 264 19
"Oh my gosh, his blood is the same color as my nail polish! By the way, he's totally dead." ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ When an elite sorority offers the chance to follow he...
6.2K 661 55
"The fact that I was murdered didn't come as a surprise; it was the fact that it hadn't happened sooner which shocked me." High school senior, Caitly...
19.9K 617 43
They say: 'true love comes only once in a lifetime.' What happens when it appears right at your feet when you least expect it and in one of the most...