Rivannah

By BlackCoffeeAndRoses

Born in a royal family and revered by all, Rivannah Rathore is the 19 year old Princess of Bhawanigarh, who... More

Cast 🎬
Duties and Destiny
Bravery and Battles
Stumbles and Surprises
An Apathetic Alliance
Humility and Hiraeth
Secrets and Sonder
Rame and Clashes
Enigma and Ethereal
Vikram and Abhimanyu
Anger and Schemes
Kindred and Evil
Guilt and Grief
Storms and Hurricanes
Riva and Vikram
Envy and Honour
Need and Care
Red and Rapture
Goa Diaries Part I
Goa Diaries Part II
Goa Diaries Part III
Goa Diaries Part IV
Goa Diaries Part V
Hope and Agony
Lies and Love
Young and Reckless
Birthday and Betrayal
Marriage and Mayhem
AbhiRiva Part I
AbhiRiva Part II

Trust and Friendship

105 4 2
By BlackCoffeeAndRoses

" Can you drive faster?" Riva said, impatiently, " We're still an hour away from your palace."

Abhimanyu clenched his jaw at being ordered. He was a noble and dignified Yuvraj. She couldn't keep pestering him like he was a chauffeur.

" I have instructed my staff to search the place. I wouldn't be surprised if they find it before we reach. " he added " If it's there, that is."

" I hope so." Riva brushed a tendril from her face and sighed, " I've been so reckless lately. I can't believe I lost her watch. It's all Vikram's fault.He shouldn't have dragged me along in the first place."

" Now that we are talking about him..." Abhimanyu cleared his throat, " Do you think you can fool him forever? He's a smart guy with a lot of resources. He could find out your real identity."

" I'm not scared of him. Besides when all this is over, he'll know it anyway." Riva huffed, " I wouldn't have to deal with him if a nosy professor hadn't set me up.Anyway we're merely club members...there's no reason for him to think about me."

Abhimanyu made a mental note to figure out which professor went out of the line and instigated trouble for her.But then the afternoon's events flashed in his mind. The concerned look on Vikram's face, him helping Riva up, the gentle smile as he guided her out...he felt in his gut that Vikram was most certainly  attentive towards Riva. 

It was not a good thing.

" I insist that you keep your distance from him." Abhimanyu said strongly, " Just because your father isn't around, does mean you can act rebelliously. And don't you dare sit in his car ever again.Remember a Rajput women's dignity is her greatest jewel."

" Should I call you Bhaiya or Uncle?" Riva asked, seriously. 

 Abhimanyu spat out furiously "What kind of stupid question is that? I am only twenty-five this year!"

" That speech would be so perfect if it was a middle age uncle saying it." Riva mused teasingly," Even funnier if his long moustache kept twitching as he spoke.Those old fashioned words didn't suit you at all."

" I'm warning you, Rivannah." He warned.

 "Who are you to order me, as you wish? You're not my father, and we're not related by blood To me, you're nothing but a stranger." Riva pointed out, " Hum apke h kaun?"

Abhimnayu gaped at her, and said, " I'm tasked with protecting you.I'm your protector, Rivannah.I will not accept any other honorific!"

"Relax, I was just messing around." Riva smiled cheekily, " The people who are my brothers and uncles are myogencistic, self-centred bastards. You're not the same as them, right?"

" Riva," Abhimanyu said horridly, " Rajput women don't swear."

" For someone who claims to be young," Riva said brazenly, " Your thoughts don't seem to be updated at all."

" Unlike you, I respect our values and traditions." Abhimanyu retorted, furiously, " Royal families are revered for their rules and discipline.It's not just a name, Riva, it's a legacy. Following the customs and rules laid down by our ancestors is our duty."

Abhimanyu glanced at her to see her reaction. Riva was quiet and calm, and for a moment he gloated that he had finally got the last word in an argument.

" You know, I always found it funny, how all rules exist only for women. They can't wear what they like, they can't speak what they want, they must be spotless dolls in front of the media." Riva said, cynically, " While men can keep mistresses, lose their heritage in gamble houses and become drunkards and wastrels. Those customs weren't meant to be equal.Noble queens  did sati when their husbands died...do you think the rules are fair, Abhimanyu?" 

He was rendered speechless by her words. Partly because it was the naked truth, and partly because he didn't expect Riva to hold such a mature thought. She was too young to understand the way of the world, but somehow she had surprised him again.

She can't be imposed upon because she was too bold and outspoken, she can't be manipulated because she was too clever and witty, the only way to handle her was through trust and friendship. 

" If I promise to be more open-minded, can you be mindful of your identity? After all, you're an independent and mature woman. You should understand that being with Vikram is a big risk." He conceded. 

Riva raised her brows in mild surprise. He had never extended the olive brach before. She nodded her head discreetly as her 'yes'. Abhimanyu smiled softly, and felt a comforting peace settle around them.

Riva clicked her fingers and said teasingly, " You just openly admitted that you're narrow-minded!"

                                                                                           * 

The Suryagarh Palace was extremely gorgeous at night, lit up with lights and candles lining the pathway.It looked ever so grand against the dark backdrop of the looming sky.

Riva followed Abhimanyu to the lobby, where everything was being moved and searched by a couple of staff personnels, with Man Singh supervising them.

" Look under that chair." Man Singh instructed, " Hukum was sitting on it. After that, look behind those curtains. Wait a second, is that dust I see?! Someone call the cleaning staff head immediately! How can India's best hotel even have a speck of dust? This is simply ridiculous! Also, looked behind the grand doors. Hukum passed through them twice." 

Riva stifled her chuckle as she watched Man Singh berate the cleaning staff. Abhimanyu shook his head dismay and cleared his throat. 

" Your Highness!" 

Rivannah stifled a chuckle, and Abhimanyu shook his head in dismay. Man Singh had a habit of taking things too seriously.

He bowed in greeting and said, grievously, " We are yet to find Hukum's watch. But rest assure, none of us will even drink a sip of water until we find it." 

" Did you check that chair?" Riva asked, pointing to the beige chair she remembered sitting on.

" Thrice, Hukum." Man Singh replied, " We can dismantle it, in case the watch fell into a tiny crevice."

" No, that's fine." Riva shook her head.The cleaning staff was looking at her curiously, but quickly looked down when Man Singh glared at them, " What are you guys gawking at? Chop, chop! The watch isn't going to find itself!" 

Riva turned towards Abhimanyu, who was staring at a female receptionist, dressed in a dark sari. She scrunched her nose and nudged him," What's wrong with you?" 

Abhimanyu narrowed his eyes, and whispered, " Do you feel hot?" 

" No, not at all." Riva said, perplexedly, "The night itself is quite chilly."

" Then why is that woman sweating profusely?" Abhimanyu wondered, " She keeps on glancing at the lobby desk." 

He had vague suspicions as he went towards the line of receptionists. He stopped at in front of her.Reading the name from her badge, he asked, " If you give it back, Mrs Kaur, I will not hold it against you." 

The receptionist was caught completely off-guard, and she stuttered, " Sir, I have no I-idea. I d-don't even know w-what you're talking about!"

" I don't want to make a scene here. There are too many guests." Abhimanyu said, severely, " I'm disappointed, that as a staff you kept the watch to yourself, instead of reporting it."

" Sir, I s-swear, I don't have-" Mrs Kaur quivered under his harsh gaze. Suryagarh Palace was Abhimanyu's pride and honour. He absolutely hated to let something tarnish its' name. 

" Found it!" Riva chirruped from the desk table, holding her treasured watch close to her heart. 

" I f-found it in the lobby restroom!" Mrs Kaur said," It was just lying over the counter! I waited the whole day for someone to come asking, but no one did so-"

" I don't need an explanation." Abhimanyu said, coldly, " You may talk to the HR department about your dues and hand in your resignation."

Mrs Kaur opened her mouth to protest and beg, but Abhimanyu had already turned on his heels and went away. Riva offered him a smile and muttered, " Thanks." 

" Sorry, I didn't hear it right?" Abhimanyu leaned towards her.

" At least I thanked you. You didn't bother when I did your first aid, that day." Riva rolled her eyes, " I want to go home now."

" You really think I'm your driver, don't you?" Abhimanyu muttered his breath, as Riva walked past him.

" My Lord, I had checked the CCTV footage to see where Hukum went. She didn't go to the bathroom at all. In fact she didn't leave the lobby. Mrs Kaur said she found the watch in the bathroom. It's not possible! What if someone took it and kept it in the bathroom to make it look like it was here?!" Man Singh cried out.

" You should lay off the conspiracy theory serials for a while." Abhimanyu tsked," They're making you paranoid."

                                                                                *

" I can't believe we're going to stay at the Suryagarh Palace, for the whole weekend!" Aditi whispered dreamily.

Riva shrugged her shoulders casually.

It had been a week since she saw Abhimanyu; she had almost forgotten him until he called her yesterday, 'telling' her that from now onwards she would be spending her weekends at Suryagarh Palace, and she could bring Aditi along.

 He also added something about bonding and trust, but she had zoned out most of his ridiculous explanation. He only wanted to keep an eye on her, and enquire about Vikram.

" It's rather ostentatious." Riva said, sardonically, " But it's a hotel, before it's a home.It lacks warmth and coziness."

" I can only imagine sharing a home with so many strangers." Aditi chuckled, setting the table for breakfast, and requested, almost naturally, " Would you get me some spoons, Riva?"

Riva nodded unsurely and went to the kitchen. Ambika Aunty pointed her to some spoons drying near the sink. She never did menial tasks before. It was weird and new, but she didn't mind it.She'd feel guilty if Ambika Aunty and Aditi did all the work.

" Here you go." Riva kept them on the table.

 Completing that little job gave her some sense of satisfaction. Aditi was placing them near the plates, when the bell sounded.

" I can see who it is." Riva offered and Aditi smiled gratuitously at her. Riva decided that she liked helping around. The servants wouldn't let her do anything in Jai Mahal. She could be a completely new person here.

"Good Morning, your Highness." Man Singh greeted cheerfully, and then noticed what Riva was wearing. His eyes almost bulged out of their sockets and his smile stayed fixed.

" You're here to pick us up, I presume?" Riva asked.

" Y-Yes, the Prince sends his...condolences, he got busy in the l-last moment." Man Singh stuttered, " Are you ready to go?" He eyed her jean shorts as if praying that she wasn't.

" Sure, after we eat." Riva narrowed her eyes, " Ambika Aunty made breakfast for four, why don't you join us?"

Riva could sense that he was behaving weirdly. She looked down at her outfit- maroon MIT sweatshirt and denim shorts. The royal family and their subordinates were all traditionalist and conservative, but she was a modern, independent woman who could wear whatever she wanted. They could keep their disapproval and scorn to themselves.

" Thank you for the kind invitation." Man Singh hurried inside, biting his tongue from commenting on the immoral length of her shorts.

Man Singh could only imagine how Yuvraj would react. But Riva was a princess and rebuking her would definitely be over-stepping his boundaries.He was still in a mental conflict when Ambika came out with a plate of hot pakoras.

As soon as the aroma reached his nostrils, he forgot about all about Riva's outrageous clothes and stuffed his mouth with the delectable snacks. Even the Head Chefs in Suryagarh Palace could not make them better.

( Neither could his wife, but he would be dead the day he says that.)

                                                                            *

Man Singh kept the two overnight bags in the trunk of the massive SUV he drove here. He smiled politely at Riva who was leaning against the driver's window.

" Man Uncle, would you do me a small favour?" Riva asked, her eyes twinkling mischievously.

" You're embarrassing me, Princess." Man Singh said, keenly, " It's my duty and honour to serve you."

" Perfect." Riva held her hand out eagerly, " I wish to drive myself. Don't worry, I've been driving since I was sixteen back in the States. You can sit peacefully and relax."

" But Yuvraj had sent me to pick you up," Man Singh said nervously, flustered by this strange request, " He'd be angry if you had to do the work-"

" It'll be our little secret then." Riva grinned, and took the keys from him.

He groaned in frustration as she slid into the driver's seat. Man Singh internally complained to Yuvraj for sending him on such a tedious task. He prepared to sit on the passenger next to her, but the window rolled down and Aditi smiled broadly at him.

" Can I please sit in the shotgun, Man Uncle?" She asked, pleadingly, "I've never sat in the front before!" 

She was looking at him with such hopeful eyes that he could not refuse. Man Singh sat in the back, having an evil foreboding that something was going to be terribly wrong.

A minute later, the car was moving speedily towards the main road, leaving a small storm of dust. Riva adjusted the navigation of the car to show the path to Suryagarh Palace and rammed her feet on the accelerator. Man Singh was pressed back at his seat due the sudden change in the speed of the car. He watched in absolute horror as the needle of the speedometer crossed 80.

" Aditi you've worn the seat belt, I hope." Riva said enthusiastically, " Once we're out of town, I'll accelerate a little more."

" Don't worry about me!" Aditi grinned, " I love speed!" And then a moment later, she looked back worriedly, " You're comfortable Man Uncle?"

"I'm great. I like fast moving vehicles, too." Man Singh lied," But I like knowing this moment is not my last, a lot more."

" You only live once." Riva smirked, watching him squirm in the rearview mirror.

The town gave into a broad highway road, and she increased the speed to about 140. Royals were supposed to like fast cars or horses as a stamp on their authenticity, but she loved speed because it made her feel alive.

Man Singh squeezed his eyes shut to overcome the dizziness and motion-sickness. Riva swerved around other cars and trucks comfortably. He swallowed and tried to look unfazed, how could he retain his pride if he told a girl to slow down?

" I think you have to take a right there." Aditi said, calmly,"Also it's kind of boring, can I put on some music?"

Riva took an abrupt right that almost threw Man Singh against the window. He braced himself against the door, hands clutching the support as if his very life depended on it.

" If Man Uncle is okay with it." Riva replied innocently. Man Singh mumbled his consent, terrified to his bones. Soon the speakers were blasting with Bollywood songs.

Nevertheless, they reached Suryagarh Palace in about half the time.Man Singh kept staring at the navigation screen, praying to all the gods and goddesses that he reaches home in one piece.

Riva slowed down at the massive gates and turned back to look at him.

" You can take over, Man Uncle." She said, generously.

" You're an amazing driver, Riva." Aditi praised, " I can't believe we made it in one-and-half hours!"

The ride felt like an eternity to Man Singh, who gulped and massaged his throbbing forehead. His ears were ringing and he could still hear the party song that Riva and Aditi passionately sung along with.His throat felt dry and he rasped, " It's fine, you can continue."

" You just read my mind." Riva said, amiably, " I'd hate not finishing what I started."

Man Singh felt chills as he saw Riva's smiling eyes in the front mirror.

She drove at a leisurely speed till they reached the driveway and halted in front of the big entrance. Aditi pressed her nose to the window, taking in the beautiful palace with wide eyes.

Man Singh jumped out of the dreadful car as soon as it halted. The valet recognised him and stared quizzically, as he pulled out a handkerchief and dabbed his sweaty forehead with it. Wondering what happened to the gallant Man Singh, he turned to look at a pretty girl clambering down from the car.

She was wearing an elegant yellow salwar-kameez and her hair was down in long, dark curls. Another young girl came out from the driver's seat, wearing denim shorts and a maroon hoodie. Despite the casual attire, the valet could sense power and confidence oozing from her.

" I shall escort you to the private wing." Man Singh muttered, looking pale.

They giggled to themselves and followed him closely. The valet smiled at them, the two girls couldn't be more different- but they looked like they were great friends.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9M 194K 50
" Do not be mistaken little flower, you are mine and mine alone. Any man who looks at you longer than three seconds will be dealt in a manner I find...
1M 53.8K 43
Complicated ! This is what describes the Rathore Royal Family and their Relationships ! And to make The matters worse The three Rathore Brothers are...
18.2K 909 19
What will happen when a feisty and independent girl gets stuck in a place where people are after her life and are adamant on snatching her freedom, c...
778K 51.2K 60
'Cold love is like a winter night without stars-Dark and unforgiving.' Yudhishthir × Ruhi She was like a fragile rose, a symbol of...